Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 15, 2015 8:22 PM

Nov 2011
THIS IS A MANGA ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS ANYTHING BEYOND THIS CHAPTER.
----------------------------------------
Glad to see Hak doing better this chapter. I think if his anger is unleashed like that again in the future, Yona will be able to stop him. I think she is probably one of the only few in the world to do so. No doubt he will encounter Soo-Won again in the future though. I can bet on that right now.
Apr 11, 2015 6:19 PM

Oct 2014
some more hak and yona moments, that hug was so adorable <3

soo-won telling joo-doh that he was going to kill hak the next time he saw him, as if he could!

that mini flashback at the end though, even through all of this soo-won still has some fondness for his two childhood friends.
May 9, 2015 1:47 AM
Jun 2012
kija-bby said:
some more hak and yona moments, that hug was so adorable <3

soo-won telling joo-doh that he was going to kill hak the next time he saw him, as if he could!

that mini flashback at the end though, even through all of this soo-won still has some fondness for his two childhood friends.

The bird flew away after that…i wonder if he rejected soo won
May 18, 2015 6:01 PM

Nov 2014
kija-bby said:

that mini flashback at the end though, even through all of this su-won still has some fondness for his two childhood friends.

Su-won still feels for them, still loves them. Yet, he believes in what he is doing and finds the need of sacrificing his relationship with both Hak and Yona.
Aside from killing IL, he proved himself to be a great king -better than IL- and he would improve Kouka, there is just hidden truth about both his father's and Il's relationship, I don't believe IL killed his father. Lets wait for things to get clear at some point.
May 19, 2015 1:19 PM
Anime Moderator
᠎ Master Öqvily᠎

Aug 2014
Wait, did they tell them that it was Su-woon that killed Yona's dad? Becouse it looks like they didn't, or atlest they had a really small reaction to it.

Forum set made by my
secret santa, Nate!
May 22, 2015 5:09 PM

Jun 2014
Things are calming down now it seems. Can't wait to see what the next arc will be about, the climax of the nadai one was just awesome.

Okay so I kinda have a rant here: why is it that people adore psychopaths/serial killers, but then they get someone like Soo-won and they despise him no matter what, calling him heartless, etc. Soo-won clearly still loves Hak and Yona, why else wouldn't he be able to hurt Hak even though he was about to get seriously hurt? Also, he killed one person, and though the morality of it is definitely questionable, he does seem to have the best interests of the country at heart. He is an anti-villain, and a great one in my opinion. Yet, no, people call him evil and want him dead ._. Am I the only one who thinks like that?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 24, 2015 7:29 PM
May 2013
Soo-won and yona are "walking with the people" so they can be better kings/queens. Yona is better than soo-won as governor in some ways and he is better than her in other ways.
May 25, 2015 2:48 PM

Jan 2014
KageNoAbisu said:
Things are calming down now it seems. Can't wait to see what the next arc will be about, the climax of the nadai one was just awesome.

Okay so I kinda have a rant here: why is it that people adore psychopaths/serial killers, but then they get someone like Soo-won and they despise him no matter what, calling him heartless, etc. Soo-won clearly still loves Hak and Yona, why else wouldn't he be able to hurt Hak even though he was about to get seriously hurt? Also, he killed one person, and though the morality of it is definitely questionable, he does seem to have the best interests of the country at heart. He is an anti-villain, and a great one in my opinion. Yet, no, people call him evil and want him dead ._. Am I the only one who thinks like that?

I wouldn't call Suu-won heartless, I just call him a stupid jerk.
I also can't think of any psychopaths/serial killers that I like in any anime.
Yes, he killed King Il. Depending on his reason, I might be fine with that. My problem with him is that he just stood there when the castle guards were about to kill Yona. King Il might have deserved to be killed somehow, but Yona did nothing wrong. She loved Suu-won, and he goes and almost has her killed. After that, Hak saves her.

I partially want Suu-won dead so Yona will forget about him and realize Hak's feelings, and partially because I think he deserves it for abandoning his best friends and allowing them to almost be killed. Then he has the nerve to say that he'll kill Hak the next time he sees him?! I thought that he cared about Yona and Hak! He'd end up with Hak dead, and Yona probably suicidal or something because Hak is dead and Suu-won is a traitor, jerk, idiot, and ect.

I just can't forgive him for anything. He's just too much of a jerk in my mind.
May 25, 2015 3:24 PM

Jun 2014
AmuxIkutolover said:
Then he has the nerve to say that he'll kill Hak the next time he sees him?! I thought that he cared about Yona and Hak!

He does. As I understood it, in that scene he only said it to placate Joo-doh. He does care about Yona and Hak, and Soo-won hadn't looked happy about the prospect of killing Hak.
May 25, 2015 6:58 PM

Jun 2014
AmuxIkutolover said:
KageNoAbisu said:

Yes, he killed King Il. Depending on his reason, I might be fine with that. My problem with him is that he just stood there when the castle guards were about to kill Yona. King Il might have deserved to be killed somehow, but Yona did nothing wrong. She loved Suu-won, and he goes and almost has her killed. After that, Hak saves her.

I partially want Suu-won dead so Yona will forget about him and realize Hak's feelings, and partially because I think he deserves it for abandoning his best friends and allowing them to almost be killed. Then he has the nerve to say that he'll kill Hak the next time he sees him?! I thought that he cared about Yona and Hak! He'd end up with Hak dead, and Yona probably suicidal or something because Hak is dead and Suu-won is a traitor, jerk, idiot, and ect.

The thing about Soo-won is that he is able to put the country before his feelings. He was originally going to have Hak and Yona killed because he thought that were going to reveal to the people he did to Il. I'm not saying it's a good thing, but that's just who he is. The morality is debatable of course (two people vs. the wellbeing of an entire kingdom, but they're two people who he loves dearly and are also innocent), but that's part of why he's such a good anti-villain.

Yona seems to be slowly falling for Hak even with Soo-won alive, so he shouldn't be a problem in terms of romance.

Finally, I highly doubt Soo-won would actually be able to kill Hak, no matter what he says. Yes, he was about to let them get killed in chapter 1, but let's consider a few things here:
First, Soo-won knows how strong Hak is. I find myself wondering if he knew all along that Hak would manage to save Yona and escape (this is just a theory).
Second, even if he didn't think they'd escape, a situation can have a big impact on the way people act. He had probably prepared himself for the idea of killing them before killing Il, he had just commit a murder, and he was carrying out a plan that several other people knew about and helped him with. It sounds odd but that might have put him "in the zone" per se for killing them.
Third, he wasn't going to be the one to kill them himself in chapter 1. There's probably a big difference in ability to carry out ordering guards to kill someone you care about and actually being the one who kills them.
Fourth, he really has no reason to kill Hak and Yona now. They're not trying to unseat him from the throne, and they're not trying to reveal what he did to the kingdom. He's not the kind of person who kills without good reason (or at least, that's how it seems to me).

So that was a really long reply, but the gist is I honestly don't think he's that horrible a person and whether or not he was right in his actions could be debated for hours. Also, I doubt that he'd actually be able to kill Hak himself.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 26, 2015 10:31 AM

Oct 2014
KageNoAbisu said:
AmuxIkutolover said:

The thing about Soo-won is that he is able to put the country before his feelings. He was originally going to have Hak and Yona killed because he thought that were going to reveal to the people he did to Il. I'm not saying it's a good thing, but that's just who he is. The morality is debatable of course (two people vs. the wellbeing of an entire kingdom, but they're two people who he loves dearly and are also innocent), but that's part of why he's such a good anti-villain.

Yona seems to be slowly falling for Hak even with Soo-won alive, so he shouldn't be a problem in terms of romance.

Finally, I highly doubt Soo-won would actually be able to kill Hak, no matter what he says. Yes, he was about to let them get killed in chapter 1, but let's consider a few things here:
First, Soo-won knows how strong Hak is. I find myself wondering if he knew all along that Hak would manage to save Yona and escape (this is just a theory).
Second, even if he didn't think they'd escape, a situation can have a big impact on the way people act. He had probably prepared himself for the idea of killing them before killing Il, he had just commit a murder, and he was carrying out a plan that several other people knew about and helped him with. It sounds odd but that might have put him "in the zone" per se for killing them.
Third, he wasn't going to be the one to kill them himself in chapter 1. There's probably a big difference in ability to carry out ordering guards to kill someone you care about and actually being the one who kills them.
Fourth, he really has no reason to kill Hak and Yona now. They're not trying to unseat him from the throne, and they're not trying to reveal what he did to the kingdom. He's not the kind of person who kills without good reason (or at least, that's how it seems to me).

So that was a really long reply, but the gist is I honestly don't think he's that horrible a person and whether or not he was right in his actions could be debated for hours. Also, I doubt that he'd actually be able to kill Hak himself.

Those are my thoughts too, on the matter of So-Won, plus I think he knows one day, he is going to get killed by Hak, and has come to terms with it, but before that he is going to try to save Kouka, I think for him Kouka is the most important thing, even if he loses everything else around him.
"It's like Tolstoy said. Happiness is an allegory, unhappiness a story"

"And the sense of tragedy-according to Aristotle.comes, ironically enough, not from the protagonist's weak points but from his good qualities. Do you know what I'm getting at? People are drawn deeper into tragedy not by their defects but by their virtues"

Kafka on the shore by Haruki Murakami...the man that was the inspiration for Sen Takatsuki

May 30, 2015 3:01 PM

Apr 2013
Dat aftermath. Those damn Yona x Hak moments get me every time. EVERY F'N TIME. This has to go down ASAP (but I know that it won't). And dat Soo-won, thinking that he'll be able to kill Hak next time. Uhhh huh. We'll see how you do buddy if there aren't 4 dragons, your best general and Hak berserking letting swords slash him as he goes HAM. I still hate Soo-won and nothing will change that.

Please get me dem new scantalations (and let the legit scantalators be back).
Jun 1, 2015 7:35 PM
Nov 2010
That scene at the end with just the two of them just killed me... T^T

KageNoAbisu said:

I definitely agree. Initially, I brushed Soo-won off as the typical evil, two-faced childhood friend aka the "villain" of the story, but as the story went on, it became pretty obvious that that wasn't what Mizuho-sensei was trying to do. Sure, he did a really evil deed at the beginning, but since then, he's done nothing but great things as king. He's reform the country for the better and he's even going around his kingdom to learn more about all the problems that were happening and finding ways to address them (something that King Il did not do, or at least implied as such). He's very much an anti-villain.

Jun 2, 2015 8:26 AM

Aug 2010
This series is way too good.

And Soowon is just 2deep4 so many readers. They just superficially hate him just because...

Personally I think he's one of the best written character I've seen. His complexity is amazing. Loved the symbolism with the Hawk at the end. He and Hak trained it but now it didn't obey his orders.

Also loved his talk with Juudo. He does bring up some interesting points. Soowon would've definitely been a goner if Jaeha didn't stop Hak so him getting pissed that Soowon didn't protect himself while understandable (being scared shitless lol) was still something he thought he should preach him about after choosing this path.

The YonaxHak scene made my heart melt. Yona friggin initiated the hug O_o Hnnnnnnnnngggg <3
Jun 2, 2015 8:41 AM

Oct 2008
Where are you guys reading those chapters? Titania released chapter 90 yesterday ô_o
>User since 2008
Please god help me quit this website.

Such great community that doesn't even know how demographics work, AND gives """detailed"""" reviews after first episodes.

Jun 8, 2015 12:45 AM

Sep 2011
Soo-Won might be that he is a "great king" and all that but it comes down to the fact that he is a upsurper and not the rightful ruler but did a cout d'etat. Yona is the one recognized by the dragons. Therefore if he does not die after he accomplishes what he is trying to do, hopefully he will step down before Hak has to kill him. He has always put on another face, and has this fake facade when he is really very different from what he presents on the surface. Her father must have known about him since he said that he was the only one Yona could not marry and King Il chose Hak for his daughter even if he had not made that official yet. Yona was the one who could stop Hak not anyone else. The moments with Yona and Hak getting closer were great. Great chapter all in all but I think there will be other translations of this.
Jun 8, 2015 1:45 PM
Mar 2012
I do like that the characters aren't one dimensional. It's what makes this series great.

Bbut I never understood why Soo-Won didn't just marry Yona - he's have been king eventually and Yona surely would have done anything he wanted, she wasn't much interested in politics anyway.
Even if that would have taken too long, marrying her and then poisoning King Il would have been less dangerous and risky than what he did.
I wonder of that'll be explained one day.
Jun 8, 2015 1:47 PM

Aug 2014
bekeru said:
Where are you guys reading those chapters? Titania released chapter 90 yesterday ô_o

Mangareader/Mangafox is where I read em, got up to 92 chapters each so far.
Jun 12, 2015 5:17 PM

Jan 2014
ElenirLachlagos said:

Bbut I never understood why Soo-Won didn't just marry Yona - he's have been king eventually and Yona surely would have done anything he wanted, she wasn't much interested in politics anyway.
Even if that would have taken too long, marrying her and then poisoning King Il would have been less dangerous and risky than what he did.

First of, King Il told Yona that he would give her anyone but him, for unknown reasons, King Il didn't want Soo-won to be the next king, therefore marrying Yona was out of the question. Remember that King Il said that he had the right to choose his succesor.

Second, I don't think Soo-won ever considered the posibility of marrying Yona. It might just be me, but that's what I believe. I also have been considering that even if Yona hadn't witnessed everything, she would have been put aside in some way, maybe labeling King Il as a traitor or something, then Yona being his daughter also getting her casted away. I mean, after all, having the crown princess alive would have resulted in a lot of men hungry for power wanting to marry her and of course that would have been a problem for Soo-won. (Wasn't that the reason Kang Tae-Jun tried to woo her since she was young?)
Jun 16, 2015 12:15 PM

Aug 2009
seo-rin said:
ElenirLachlagos said:

First of, King Il told Yona that he would give her anyone but him, for unknown reasons, King Il didn't want Soo-won to be the next king, therefore marrying Yona was out of the question. Remember that King Il said that he had the right to choose his succesor.

Second, I don't think Soo-won ever considered the posibility of marrying Yona. It might just be me, but that's what I believe. I also have been considering that even if Yona hadn't witnessed everything, she would have been put aside in some way, maybe labeling King Il as a traitor or something, then Yona being his daughter also getting her casted away. I mean, after all, having the crown princess alive would have resulted in a lot of men hungry for power wanting to marry her and of course that would have been a problem for Soo-won. (Wasn't that the reason Kang Tae-Jun tried to woo her since she was young?)

Yes to that first point. Revenge for his father aside (would you settle for subtle poisoning instead of doing it yourself by hand?), Soo-won realized that marriage to Yona was impossible as long as King Il was around.

I don't know about that second point. These past couple chapters, especially, demonstrated that Soo-won is as hurt by losing Hak and Yona as they were at his betrayal. If Yona hadn't witnessed him kill King-Il, this would potentially be a very different manga, with Soo-won betrothed to Yona but suffering with the guilt of having murdered her father while Hak is suspicious of Soo-won but unsure of whether or not that's his feelings of Yona and jealousy influencing his thoughts. Yona having to deal with the subtle tension between the two people she's closest with as well as questions surrounding the death of her father and worry about foreign countries. Various court treacheries and dramatic ironies abound. Like I said, a very different manga, of which I prefer the action/adventure one we have, haha.
Jun 16, 2015 3:39 PM

Jan 2014
Selinea said:
seo-rin said:

Yes to that first point. Revenge for his father aside (would you settle for subtle poisoning instead of doing it yourself by hand?), Soo-won realized that marriage to Yona was impossible as long as King Il was around.

I don't know about that second point. These past couple chapters, especially, demonstrated that Soo-won is as hurt by losing Hak and Yona as they were at his betrayal. If Yona hadn't witnessed him kill King-Il, this would potentially be a very different manga, with Soo-won betrothed to Yona but suffering with the guilt of having murdered her father while Hak is suspicious of Soo-won but unsure of whether or not that's his feelings of Yona and jealousy influencing his thoughts. Yona having to deal with the subtle tension between the two people she's closest with as well as questions surrounding the death of her father and worry about foreign countries. Various court treacheries and dramatic ironies abound. Like I said, a very different manga, of which I prefer the action/adventure one we have, haha.

You are right it woud be a totally different story, but I still think it wasn't an option for him, if so, he wouldn't have said that he knew that both Yona and Hak wouldn't be on his side when he would take over. He already knew that whatever he was going to pull would put as well an end to his relationship with both of them. So for me it never crossed his mind.

Anyway, I didn't said the most important part for me this chapter, and that's Yona hugging Hak yes!
Jun 17, 2015 9:27 AM

Jan 2013
That hug :3
Good to see Hak recovering, I guess that the will focus on Soo won and the meeting now, and leave the others to rest.
Jun 20, 2015 3:54 PM

Aug 2014
Nice to see Hak get his well deserve hug from Yona <3
If only know she realises now the feelings she has towards him.

Soo-won saying he will kill Hak next time they meet...yeah we will see about that buddy xD
Jun 20, 2015 9:24 PM
Jan 2011
KageNoAbisu said:

From my perspective, psychopath/serial killers are 'insane' they can't control their actions most of the time due to some chemical imbalance in the brain. So yes I do have more reason to adore/forgive psychopathic people than people like Soo-won who is clearly not insane but chooses to do the worst possible thing to people close to him.

People like Soo-won is deserve the hate because he has no excuse for his actions. Sure his reason seem noble and grand, 'for the good of the kingdom etc' but did he ever give Yuna, Hak and the others he killed in his ambition a chance to see what he sees? Is it really the best way to kill the king and stage a coup d'etat and hurt so many people? If he had only lend Hak and Yona his thoughts, trusted them with his goal, maybe his goal would have been achieved without bloodshed. Instead all his choices led to so far are tragedies to the people who cared about him, did his choice bring happiness to anyone? So far in the manga all i can see is 'NO'.
eien_kisekiJun 20, 2015 9:41 PM
Jun 21, 2015 3:16 AM

Apr 2008
eien_kiseki said:

From my perspective, psychopath/serial killers are 'insane' they can't control their actions most of the time due to some chemical imbalance in the brain. So yes I do have more reason to adore/forgive psychopathic people than people like Soo-won who is clearly not insane but chooses to do the worst possible thing to people close to him.

People like Soo-won is deserve the hate because he has no excuse for his actions. Sure his reason seem noble and grand, 'for the good of the kingdom etc' but did he ever give Yuna, Hak and the others he killed in his ambition a chance to see what he sees? Is it really the best way to kill the king and stage a coup d'etat and hurt so many people? If he had only lend Hak and Yona his thoughts, trusted them with his goal, maybe his goal would have been achieved without bloodshed. Instead all his choices led to so far are tragedies to the people who cared about him, did his choice bring happiness to anyone? So far in the manga all i can see is 'NO'.

How his choices didn't bring anything good? The Earth Tribe is financially better off. The rebellion in the Fire Tribe was stopped, which just show that even if Soo-won hadn't made a coup d'etat, Il would probably have been the king just a few months longer. Soo-won also helped the Water Tribe, by admittedly cooperating with Yona’s group, to get rid off drugs.

As for the fact that he didn’t try more peaceful method. We don’t really know if he didn’t try to appeal to his uncle’s reason or whether he had any reason to believe that Hak and Yona had an influence on Il.

Besides, if it is true that Il killed Soo-won’s father, then Soo-won would have had a reason to believe that taking a reckless course of action might have jeopardized his life. If Yona had suddenly started to come to Il with good advice or, out of the blue, asking about the country she knows nothing about and was never interested in, Il would have definitely found it suspicious. He might have easily realised that she does it, because of Soo-won and not be pleased that Soo-won is interfering in the country's affairs.

I wonder why Hak never tried to do something himself. Unlike Yona, he does not have the excuse of not being allowed to leave the palace. He should know how things are going on and that the country is impoverished, yet he did nothing. Maybe he didn’t care.
Lain666Jun 21, 2015 1:52 PM
"The moment one sits down to think, one becomes all nose, or all forehead, or something horrid. Look at the successful men in any of the learned professions. How perfectly hideous they are! Except, of course, in the Church. But then in the Church they don't think. A bishop keeps on saying at the age of eighty what he was told to say when he was a boy of eighteen, and as a natural consequence he always looks absolutely delightful."
Jun 21, 2015 7:27 PM

Nov 2014
OH MY GOD!! The next time Hak and Soo-won meet, it's going to be a bloodbath. Just guessing, but they'll probably meet on a battlefield in some sort of epic showdown. I'm really upset because I want to root for both Hak and Soo-won. :( Ok, so Joo-doh is really cool/my fave, but, man, it must've hurt to have been beaten so quickly by Hak... Looking forwards to seeing what the next arc is :D
Aug 26, 2015 4:12 PM

Mar 2015
I know Akatsuki no Yona is 'just' a shojo manga. But the scene when Soo Won returns to the castle and wants to play with Gulfan (the hawk he and Hak raised together) and he flew away was MAGNIFICENT. As another poster said, Gulfan refused him. The hawk is a nice symbol of what Soo Won had to loose to walk down the path he has chosen. A reminesence of the past.

There were so many things condensed in this single page. It is just great. The author sure knows how to create atmosphere.
Jul 1, 2016 10:38 AM

Jun 2016
And yet another wonderful chapter by Mizuho-sensai. The Hak x Yona moments are so precious and sweet. She truly is the only one who can help him quell the raging vengeance toward Su-won... reminiscent of Kaoru's ability to bring Kenshin Himura back from his Battousai self in the manga + anime Rurouni Kenshin.

Interested to see what the meeting among the heads of the five tribes will involve. Su-won is his usual calculating self, although I must agree that he is one of the best anti-villains I have ever seen. So multi-dimensional and complex, which elevates AnY so much. I most definitely do not hate him. Much like Yona is at this point, I am curious to understand his motives and priorities as king.

Hak x Yona for life (°◡°♡)
Mar 23, 2019 11:51 AM
Jan 2019
The flashback were Kija got punched by Hak ahahha! Geez! I could collect tons of screenshots from funny Kija and make a compilation! He is sooo cute!
It really hurts to see your love one hurting that hug from Yona really touched my heart she even called God and prayed. Love this chapter.
Jun 18, 2020 2:28 PM
Dec 2010
We also have to be aware that as long as Suwon is ruling. Yona and Hak cannot live a normal life.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Akatsuki no Yona Chapter 185 Discussion

shanimebib - Dec 20, 2019

26 by Syed_94 »»
Apr 12, 10:11 AM

Poll: » Akatsuki no Yona Chapter 256 Discussion

DarkHumor04 - Apr 4

7 by TanmaySpamzzz »»
Apr 12, 5:12 AM

Poll: » Akatsuki no Yona Chapter 175 Discussion

CrookedPanther - May 20, 2019

32 by Syed_94 »»
Apr 12, 3:41 AM

Poll: » Akatsuki no Yona Chapter 152 Discussion ( 1 2 )

lacznosc - Dec 21, 2017

68 by Syed_94 »»
Apr 10, 3:38 PM

Poll: » Akatsuki no Yona Chapter 91 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 15, 2015

38 by Syed_94 »»
Apr 7, 3:55 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.