Forum Settings
Forums

Winners of the 13th Japan Media Arts Award

New
Dec 3, 2009 12:28 AM
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Dec 3, 2009 12:34 AM

Mar 2007
Vinland Saga huh? I guess if I found that it got an award a few volumes back then I would have been happy for it, but now I just wonder about whether they really couldn't find anything else to give a "Grand Prize" to.

Or maybe the prize was just for the artwork? Then I have no complaints.
fantyDec 3, 2009 2:25 AM
Dec 3, 2009 12:37 AM

Sep 2008
Yay for Summer Wars.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 3, 2009 1:26 AM

Oct 2008
fanty said:
Vinland Saga huh? I guess if I found it got an award a few volumes back I would have been happy for it, but now I just wonder about whether they really couldn't find anything else to give a "Grand Prize" to.

what does that even mean?
Dec 3, 2009 1:43 AM
Mar 2008
I'm guessing it means that Vinland Saga was a series deserving of a Grand Prize until presumably a couple of mediocre volumes were put out.

Now therefore it isn't a series deserving of a Grand Prize.
Maybe they couldn't find any better series so they just gave it to this.
Dec 3, 2009 2:27 AM

May 2008
Ah yes, it is that time of year isn't it? Great to see Summer Wars get the Grand Prize, especially since it reminds me that I need to watch it. Kind of surprised to see TM8.0 get an Excellence Prize, but then again good animation is the one thing Bones actually deserves to be praised for.
Dec 3, 2009 2:37 AM

Oct 2008
Ash-Falls-Town said:
I'm guessing it means that Vinland Saga was a series deserving of a Grand Prize until presumably a couple of mediocre volumes were put out.

Now therefore it isn't a series deserving of a Grand Prize.
Maybe they couldn't find any better series so they just gave it to this.

ooohh. if that's the case i would disagree about the mediocre volumes thing, but w/e.
Vinland Saga has overall been excellent, so shouldn't that make it deserving enough?
Dec 3, 2009 2:46 AM

Jan 2009
good to see summer wars was there, doesn't expecting vinland saga to be there though >_> lol
Dec 3, 2009 3:30 AM
Nov 2007
Woooooooooo Shigeru Miyamoto! Work hard on SMG2!
Dec 3, 2009 5:40 AM

May 2009
I'm suprised to see all the negative reactions to vinland saga. I personally think its an great manga that definitly deserved the prize.

Even i didnt find it that good as some ppl congrats to summer wars (and if its for its animation i totally understand that they win the prize) !
Dec 3, 2009 5:58 AM

Aug 2007
O.o Shigeru Miyamoto!!
Dec 3, 2009 6:03 AM

Apr 2009
Vinland Saga deserved it. Ecchi minded boys and fan girls dont like it thats normal.
SatoujiDec 3, 2009 6:06 AM
Dec 3, 2009 6:14 AM

Nov 2007
i'm glad that Vinland Saga finally gained some recognition. i believe it really deserved the award.
3-27-08: The Day MyAnimeList.Net forgot the meaning of Moe.
Dec 3, 2009 6:28 AM
Oct 2007
big thumbs up for summer wars and tokyo magnitude.
Dec 3, 2009 6:35 AM

Sep 2008
/ptw Summer Wars.

The Art Division appealed more to me this year.
Dec 3, 2009 6:51 AM

Nov 2007
HawthorneKitty said:
Yay for Summer Wars.

kimatg on | blog | pixiv | deviantART
Dec 3, 2009 8:05 AM

Nov 2007
HawthorneKitty said:
Yay for Summer Wars.
Dec 3, 2009 10:20 AM

Nov 2006
dtshyk said:
Grand Prize: Summer Wars
dtshyk said:
Recommended Works by the Judges
CENCOROLL
Natsume Yuujinchou

Definitely good choices.
Pushing Vinland Saga up on my priority list now as well.
Dec 3, 2009 10:25 AM
Aug 2007
Someone needs to release Vinland Saga in English. I looked through the first chapter and it is definitely a series I wanna hold in my hands.
Dec 3, 2009 10:32 AM

May 2008
Miyamoto x3

Dec 3, 2009 10:45 AM

Aug 2008
LOL @ most of the anime recommendations.
Ii tenki desu ne...
Dec 3, 2009 1:58 PM

Sep 2008
BigSimo said:
fanty said:
Vinland Saga huh? I guess if I found it got an award a few volumes back I would have been happy for it, but now I just wonder about whether they really couldn't find anything else to give a "Grand Prize" to.

it means that vinland saga is free of all the gay/lesbian emo shit, and ridiculously crappy story direction and characters that most mainstream animes/manga have nowadays. And it is also too manly for the majority manga readers. Hence it does not deserve to get this award.
"...our faces marked by toil, by deceptions, by success, by love; our weary eyes looking still, looking always, looking anxiously for something out of life, that while it is expected is already gone – has passed unseen, in a sigh, in a flash – together with the youth, with the strength, with the romance of illusions.” - Joseph Conrad ('Youth')
Dec 3, 2009 10:07 PM

Mar 2007
eyerok said:
BigSimo said:
fanty said:

it means that vinland saga is free of all the gay/lesbian emo shit, and ridiculously crappy story direction and characters that most mainstream animes/manga have nowadays. And it is also too manly for the majority manga readers. Hence it does not deserve to get this award.

Very funny. I loved Vinland Saga up to the point where I figured out that the mangaka had this notion that the only way a character could possibly develop is by having him suffer some sudden shocking incident, and the time frame needed for that is only a few hours. I was willing to forgive this when it was just the little Thorfinn who had the sudden personality makeover, it happened early enough in the manga for me to just forget it, but that thing with Canute just made me wanna bang my head to the wall. That's just NOT how good character development is supposed to look like and that's NOT how things work in reality. The characters themselves is the only thing in fiction that I always require to be realistic, and Vinland Saga failed in that, so regardless how well-drawn or epic it is, in my eyes, it does not deserve any awards.
Dec 3, 2009 11:25 PM

Jul 2008
The manga that won prizes are all good, quality works, and it's awesome to see the relatively unpopular "Shoujo Fight" (amazing fight) at least be given a "recommendation".

That being said, anime is dead, and those prizes prove it. I think their committee did a great job considering what was released in 2009, but when something like Toradora gets a "recommendation", it's game over.
Dec 4, 2009 9:09 AM

Sep 2008
fanty said:
eyerok said:
BigSimo said:
fanty said:

Very funny. I loved Vinland Saga up to the point where I figured out that the mangaka had this notion that the only way a character could possibly develop is by having him suffer some sudden shocking incident, and the time frame needed for that is only a few hours. I was willing to forgive this when it was just the little Thorfinn who had the sudden personality makeover, it happened early enough in the manga for me to just forget it, but that thing with Canute just made me wanna bang my head to the wall. That's just NOT how good character development is supposed to look like and that's NOT how things work in reality. The characters themselves is the only thing in fiction that I always require to be realistic, and Vinland Saga failed in that, so regardless how well-drawn or epic it is, in my eyes, it does not deserve any awards.

for one, no fictional character can ever be real. But I know what you mean though...In this day and age it might be hard to imagine someone changing completely just because they found a compelling idea or belief, but people were a lot less systematic and rational, and hence more open to new idea's or even a completely new way of life. Even today people like that exist...I know a few who changed completely just because something happened to them or they found a new belief. There's Nothing 'unreal' about that. You might disagree about the writers direction or might think its bad but that probably is only your personal point of view.
"...our faces marked by toil, by deceptions, by success, by love; our weary eyes looking still, looking always, looking anxiously for something out of life, that while it is expected is already gone – has passed unseen, in a sigh, in a flash – together with the youth, with the strength, with the romance of illusions.” - Joseph Conrad ('Youth')
Dec 4, 2009 12:46 PM

Jul 2009
Well Summer Wars certainly deserved the win. What a fantastic movie! Tokyo Magnitude was also really good.
Jul 3, 2010 10:31 AM

Nov 2008
they MUST make the anime!!
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.

More topics from this board

» 'Black★★Rock Shooter: Dawn Fall' Reveals Additional Cast, First Promo

DatRandomDude - Feb 11, 2022

11 by nisafitri »»
4 hours ago

» Original Anime Movie 'A New Dawn' Announced for 2025

DatRandomDude - Apr 23

5 by dimidrum »»
Yesterday, 3:41 PM

» 'Mahoutsukai no Yakusoku' Announces Production Staff, Cast

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

4 by Memore »»
Yesterday, 1:40 PM

» 'Maougun Saikyou no Majutsushi wa Ningen datta' Announces Supporting Cast

Hyperion_PS - Yesterday

0 by Hyperion_PS »»
Yesterday, 12:19 PM

» 'Suki demo Kirai na Amanojaku' Reveals Additional Cast, Trailer

Hyperion_PS - Yesterday

1 by RobertBobert »»
Yesterday, 11:45 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.