Forum Settings
Forums
New
Mar 11, 2015 7:40 PM

Aug 2013
I've picked up several manga recently and I tend to binge read until I'm about caught up and will probably take a break so I can repeat later.

I haven't browsed manga as much as anime so I'm looking for recs, specifically harem and fantasy.

-Male mc that isn't overly weak (probably the most important point)

-Harem (a love triangle is not a harem)

-Fantasy setting (not required)
Magic or a fantasy world, either one works for me.

-Prefer not SOL

-It would be nice if the main female love interest isn't a tsundere (if there is one)

Some things I have read recently:

-Girls of the Wilds
I like the series, but I feel like the MC should have grown out of his timidness after having an entire arc dedicated to that.

-Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari
Overall very enjoyable, I liked the MC's character progression. Fantasy world is nice.

-Rakudai Kishi no Cavalry
Probably the most cookie cutter manga with regards to my tastes. It means I like it though.

If you see something on my PTR list that really seems to fit my taste, feel free to let me know
ErenxMikasaMar 19, 2015 9:37 PM
Mar 11, 2015 7:43 PM

Apr 2014
Kamigami no Asobi is a pretty good fantasy reverse harem
Ha. Ha. HA. HA. HA. HA. HA. HA.
I'm laughing because you got hurt.
Mar 11, 2015 7:48 PM

Aug 2013
Mx0
Negima
Rosario to Vampire got a second season btw
Mar 11, 2015 8:03 PM

Aug 2013
MasterDetective said:
Mx0
Negima
Rosario to Vampire got a second season btw

Ok I'll check out Mx0. I'm aware RtV has a second season, I just haven't gotten around to reading it because the first one was maybe just slightly above average for me.

TobiOrNotTobi said:
Kamigami no Asobi is a pretty good fantasy reverse harem

I don't like reverse harems.
Mar 11, 2015 8:16 PM

Aug 2013
ErenxMikasa said:

Ok I'll check out Mx0. I'm aware RtV has a second season, I just haven't gotten around to reading it because the first one was maybe just slightly above average for me.

its on your favorites though

Yamada-kun to 7-nin no Majo
Ichigo 100%
I"s
Unbalance x2

^these don't have fantasy setting but are harems.
Mar 11, 2015 8:46 PM

Aug 2010
Sekirei
The Legend Of Maian
Ruler Of The Land

All of these are very good but be warned they have action and also TLOM is on hiatus
Mar 11, 2015 11:19 PM

Aug 2013
MasterDetective said:
ErenxMikasa said:

its on your favorites though

Yamada-kun to 7-nin no Majo
Ichigo 100%
I"s
Unbalance x2

^these don't have fantasy setting but are harems.

Alright I fixed it, RtV was on my favorite manga list because I hadn't read that many manga before.

ThRippJck said:
Sekirei
The Legend Of Maian
Ruler Of The Land

All of these are very good but be warned they have action and also TLOM is on hiatus

Actually I forgot to add that to the criteria that I prefer action. SOL tends to bore me. The first two are already on my PTR list
Mar 12, 2015 11:54 PM
Apr 2014
Waht about Mx0. Mx0 is so great i love it. but......

sogoldOct 8, 2016 8:12 PM
Mar 13, 2015 12:03 AM

Aug 2013
sogold said:

But? Also I prefer level headed MCs and as a comedy it seems like it would lean towards a different kind of MC.
Mar 13, 2015 1:51 AM
Apr 2014
ErenxMikasa said:
sogold said:

But? Also I prefer level headed MCs and as a comedy it seems like it would lean towards a different kind of MC.

MXO awesome series. i have no idea Why MXO is too unpopular in japan. :<
sogoldAug 20, 2017 10:07 PM
Mar 13, 2015 4:29 AM

Aug 2013
sogold said:
ErenxMikasa said:

How would you say the MC is?
Mar 13, 2015 11:08 PM

Sep 2013
Shinmai maou no testament
Magika no Kenshi to Vasreus
Seirei Tsukai no Blade Dance
Shitsurakuen
Mar 14, 2015 12:47 AM

Mar 2014
monster musume
maga tsuki
to love ru darkness
Mar 14, 2015 1:37 PM

Aug 2013
MasterNemesis said:
monster musume
maga tsuki
to love ru darkness

I'd prefer to watch TLRD animated, so I'll probably wait on that for now. Monster Musume seems funny but not what I'm in the mood for. Maga Tsuki is on my PTR list but seems SOL?
Mar 15, 2015 4:18 PM

Aug 2013
bumps
Mar 15, 2015 4:43 PM

Dec 2014
First of all you have to know that Mx0 has been axed (author has been forced to end it) and the ending is horrible. It's not even a proper harem manga.

Finish rosario to vampire, the 2nd season.
Try http://myanimelist.net/manga/21860/Mayo_Chiki!
http://myanimelist.net/manga.php?id=12090
http://myanimelist.net/manga/39627/Tora_Kiss:_A_School_Odyssey
Mar 16, 2015 6:52 PM

Aug 2013
retrogamer32x said:
Bastard!! might be what you're looking for. It's great, if you're into medieval fantasy. http://myanimelist.net/manga/611/Bastard!!:_Ankoku_no_Hakaishin

Wow, it's still going from 1987?

Focaccina said:
First of all you have to know that Mx0 has been axed (author has been forced to end it) and the ending is horrible. It's not even a proper harem manga.

Finish rosario to vampire, the 2nd season.
Try http://myanimelist.net/manga/21860/Mayo_Chiki!
http://myanimelist.net/manga.php?id=12090
http://myanimelist.net/manga/39627/Tora_Kiss:_A_School_Odyssey

I'll get around to the 2nd RtV eventually. Mayo Chiki I'd probably be more interested watching than reading, finished Yomeiro Choice.

Tora Kiss is also on my PTR but due to one of the reviews saying it got axed it's not very high on my priorities.
Mar 16, 2015 9:54 PM

Aug 2013
ErenxMikasa said:
sogold said:

For a harem hes one of the better leads. Everyone in show sort if respects him, and the comedy revolves around everyone respecting and thinking he's powerful him when hes actually weak as shit.

Also maybe Negima didn't seem to appealling when I reccomened it earlier and to be homest I hadn't read too much of it myself. I just completed it and wow I think it really fits what you're looking for. It has the strong mc, fantasy setting with magic battles, and its a good harem. Its pretty funny too. I really enjoyed it and think you should really check it out. The first 15 or so chapters are slow, but it really picks up afterword.
Mar 17, 2015 10:12 AM

Aug 2013
listbot said:
Galgame is probably the best source
too many that you get tired of.

I haven't played any VNs that have held my attention.

MasterDetective said:

ErenxMikasa said:

For a harem hes one of the better leads. Everyone in show sort if respects him, and the comedy revolves around everyone respecting and thinking he's powerful him when hes actually weak as shit.

Also maybe Negima didn't seem to appealling when I reccomened it earlier and to be homest I hadn't read too much of it myself. I just completed it and wow I think it really fits what you're looking for. It has the strong mc, fantasy setting with magic battles, and its a good harem. Its pretty funny too. I really enjoyed it and think you should really check it out. The first 15 or so chapters are slow, but it really picks up afterword.

That's kind of an interesting twist on the norm I suppose, but it also makes me sad that it was discontinued.

As for Negima, I'll look more into it then.
Mar 17, 2015 12:04 PM

Aug 2013

Dungeon ni Deai wo Motomeru no wa Machigatteiru Darou ka is something I'm looking forward to a lot, but I'm going to watch the anime first since it's airing next season.

Kekkon Yubiwa Monogatari's art looks pretty good.
Mar 19, 2015 4:32 PM

Aug 2013
So I'm about 20 chapters into Negima, and it's been ok so far, but somewhat dull. The main thing that makes me sad is that I don't particularly like Asuna because I dislike tsunderes in general and she's probably going to be the main love interest. That and the main character disappoints me as well.
ErenxMikasaMar 19, 2015 9:30 PM
Mar 19, 2015 5:22 PM

Feb 2014
Absolute Duo

Mar 19, 2015 8:33 PM

Aug 2013
ErenxMikasa said:
So I'm about 20 chapters into Negima, and it's been kind ok so far, but somewhat dull. The main thing that makes me sad is that I don't particularly like Asuna because I dislike tsunderes in general and she's probably going to be the main love interest. That and the main character disappoints me as well.

I think I understand your feelings. I found that the quality of the series escalates as each arc progresses. Where you are now the story is decent but nothing special. Personally i was 'wowed' by the manga somewhere along the arc after the next (idk exactly but somewhere in 70s to 100s) I hope you get to a point where you really enjoy it, but for now i guess just reading a little at a time is fine.

About Negi, he isn't my favorite character, but I've acknowledged that he does eventually become "cool". Its fine if you don't like Asuna either, cause you'll soon see the rest of the harem become significant characters too.
Mar 19, 2015 9:30 PM

Aug 2013
MasterDetective said:
ErenxMikasa said:
So I'm about 20 chapters into Negima, and it's been kind ok so far, but somewhat dull. The main thing that makes me sad is that I don't particularly like Asuna because I dislike tsunderes in general and she's probably going to be the main love interest. That and the main character disappoints me as well.

I think I understand your feelings. I found that the quality of the series escalates as each arc progresses. Where you are now the story is decent but nothing special. Personally i was 'wowed' by the manga somewhere along the arc after the next (idk exactly but somewhere in 70s to 100s) I hope you get to a point where you really enjoy it, but for now i guess just reading a little at a time is fine.

About Negi, he isn't my favorite character, but I've acknowledged that he does eventually become "cool". Its fine if you don't like Asuna either, cause you'll soon see the rest of the harem become significant characters too.

Ok, that's heartening. I'll probably keep reading since it's not intolerable. I have a week of spring break so I'm looking for something kind of lengthy to binge read.
Mar 21, 2015 1:29 PM

Aug 2013
bumps
Mar 21, 2015 7:01 PM

Sep 2013
Seikoku No Ryuu Kishi
Isuca
Seitokai Tantei Kirika
Mar 21, 2015 7:09 PM

Aug 2014
Tsuyokute New Saga

Mar 21, 2015 7:26 PM

Aug 2013
justvincexd said:
Tsuyokute New Saga

I'm caught up with the manga, it's good.

ichii_1 said:
Seikoku No Ryuu Kishi
Isuca
Seitokai Tantei Kirika

Is the manga head and shoulders above the anime for Isuca? Because the anime is pretty mediocre.

Both Isuca and Seikoku no Ryuu Kishi have tsundere female leads as far as I'm aware.
Mar 21, 2015 7:31 PM

Oct 2012
Definitely check out the Rakudai Kishi no Cavalry LN at some point, I'm not sure how good of an adaptation the manga is but the LN is amazing and I'm so pumped about the anime.

Also definitely stick with Mahou Sensei Negima, around chapter 60 or so it really hits is stride and becomes pretty incredible.
Mar 21, 2015 7:36 PM

Aug 2013
Feaor said:
Definitely check out the Rakudai Kishi no Cavalry LN at some point, I'm not sure how good of an adaptation the manga is but the LN is amazing and I'm so pumped about the anime.

Also definitely stick with Mahou Sensei Negima, around chapter 60 or so it really hits is stride and becomes pretty incredible.

I'm not really into LNs. I already felt sad having to go to manga after anime was running thin for my interests because of the loss of animation and OST. I don't think I would do the loss of constant visuals as well. The one exceptions is DxD and even then I'm reading that at snail pace.
Mar 21, 2015 7:39 PM

Oct 2012
ErenxMikasa said:
I'm not really into LNs. I already felt sad having to go to manga after anime was running thin for my interests because of the loss of animation and OST. I don't think I would do the loss of constant visuals as well. The one exceptions is DxD and even then I'm reading that at snail pace.
I'm generally not a fan either but Cavalry has been a really fun read so far. Then again I was also reading Manga before I was seriously interested in Anime so the animation and OST issue isn't as big for me.
Mar 21, 2015 7:44 PM

Aug 2013
Feaor said:
ErenxMikasa said:
I'm generally not a fan either but Cavalry has been a really fun read so far. Then again I was also reading Manga before I was seriously interested in Anime so the animation and OST issue isn't as big for me.

Ok, maybe I'll check it out, but I'm more interested in manga at the moment.

More topics from this board

» 150 Chapters Manhwa/Manhua

Nizalich - Apr 21

3 by duchessliz87 »»
1 hour ago

» New(ish) Manga Reader in Need of Recommendations!

Wakarimas-en - Yesterday

4 by ToG25thBaam »»
2 hours ago

» Similar animes to Tengoku Daimakyou ( 1 2 )

Salvaged - Apr 21

69 by WatchTillTandava »»
2 hours ago

» Anime that have all female guilds/clubs/groups/living places, etc

GakutoDeathGlare - 3 hours ago

0 by GakutoDeathGlare »»
3 hours ago

» Planning to watch Sousou no Frieren

WitchDoc - Apr 18

10 by Faisal-Abdulhadi »»
9 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.