Forum Settings
Forums
New
Mar 11, 2015 1:52 AM
★★★★★

Sep 2008
This thread is the official "Big 3" thread and contains all topics relating to it. The Big 3 is a western fandom term and is defined as the three best-selling manga series of Weekly Shounen Jump (WSJ) magazine. Due to their extremely high popularity, these Big 3 manga series are typically also animated to long-running TV anime series, and thus the term is also used by anime watchers.

The current Big 3 titles are One Piece, Naruto, and Bleach. For more information about the concept of the Big 3, see Fanlore Wiki.

What can be posted in this thread?
Anime discussion about anything related to the Big 3; for example:
  • Which is your favorite of the Big 3, and why?
  • What is the new Big 3? / What will be the next Big 3 title?
  • Which WSJ title could become a Big 3 member if it received more anime adaptations? (e.g. HxH, JoJo)
  • Could a series not serialized in WSJ ever become one of the Big 3? (e.g. Fairy Tail)

What should not be posted in this thead?
  • Discussion about anime with no relation to the Big 3; this is not a genre thread, but a concept thread.
  • Discussing recent episodes; please use the episode discussion threads in the respective sub-boards.
  • Manga discussion; please use the manga board/sub-boards for this.
  • Simple "x > y", "x vs. y" posts.
  • Chatting and other off-topic.

Please note:
This thread is not meant to replace the series discussion boards for any of the Big 3 anime; if you are not discussing these series within the types of questions outlined above, please use the respective series' sub-boards.

This thread is moderated.
- NO trolling/baiting.
- NO abuse.
- NO harassment (including telling other users to ignore user X).
- NO spam (see the Site & Forum Guidelines for what constitutes spam).
- NO backseat modding. Please use the report links to report rule violations and let the moderators handle it.
- NO unspoilered key plot elements; please use spoiler tags.

Why has the scope of the thread changed?

Do not derail this thread into discussion about this change. Please give the revised topic a chance before passing judgment.
LunaMar 18, 2015 12:03 PM
Pages (124) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Mar 11, 2015 2:00 AM

Jun 2011
I like the previous title much better. I wanna talk about webtoon ):

Quoting myself from the previous thread,
Then how did it defy the law of that universe? Characters dying or not in most cases I don't see how it could be called a plothole.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Mar 11, 2015 2:03 AM

Mar 2012
So when I changed the V2 name into a different title mods said no, and now they did the same -.-

It's like people pretend to disagree but then do what I suggest later because they know I'm right <.<

----------------------------------

As for the Pell plot hole, yes it did break the laws of the Universe, he survived a nuke, after all.
End Zionazism
Mar 11, 2015 2:08 AM

Jun 2011
Mikasa said:

As for the Pell plot hole, yes it did break the laws of the Universe, he survived a nuke, after all.
What law? Based on IntroverTurtle's explanation from V2, Pell dropped the bomb right before it exploded, and shielded himself with his wings, you could say that it's an asspull, but what law did it break? The law of "people must die if they are within 5km from the bomb"?
Mar 11, 2015 2:09 AM

Oct 2013
This is how the title should've been from the very beginning, since the majority of the discussion here is about the big 3.
Mar 11, 2015 2:13 AM

Mar 2012
That's an un-insightful explanation to say the least. "Protecting your body from a bomb.... with your body"

The range of the bomb doesn't allow Pell to be out of range. When it comes to nukes, not being at point-blank range by a bit is still technically being at point-blank, same results.
End Zionazism
Mar 11, 2015 2:14 AM

Dec 2014
Mikasa said:
So when I changed the V2 name into a different title mods said no, and now they did the same -.-

It's like people pretend to disagree but then do what I suggest later because they know I'm right <.<

Happy's afro is better than pell's tragedy.
Mar 11, 2015 2:19 AM

Jun 2011
Mikasa said:
That's an un-insightful explanation to say the least. "Protecting your body from a bomb.... with your body"
With his wings gained from his DF power. He was without wings. Who knows once his wings were tattered by the shock wave, he reverse his zoan transformation? Plus, take in the factor that zoan gives better durability and endurance.

Mikasa said:
The range of the bomb doesn't allow Pell to be out of range. When it comes to nukes, not being at point-blank range by a bit is still technically being at point-blank, same results.
There's no law that says one cannot survive against a nuke. It might be an asspull like I said, but it's not a plothole. Akainu freakin' survived a quake punch to the brain and nobody complained just because he looks a bit more gar. -_-
Mar 11, 2015 2:36 AM

Dec 2013
cenkiss said:
Mikasa said:

Not too sure on that. At least One Piece didn't make a joke out of that.

Just imagine if Pell came back down with an afro...
Mar 11, 2015 5:35 AM
Oct 2013
G_Spark233 said:
cenkiss said:

Not too sure on that. At least One Piece didn't make a joke out of that.

Just imagine if Pell came back down with an afro...

They are both bullshit, both plotholes and cartoonish usage of the media.
Oda does this quite frequently, Pokemon logic apllys quite often to One Piece.
Attacks can destroy whole landscapes but people survive being hit by them.

No one gives a fuck if Bugs Bunny survives a nuclear missile without reason he´s meant to make no sense for comedic sake.
It´s the same deal here Oda just decided on a whim that he wanted to let him live.

It was the worst written thing Oda ever delivered, it´s not an asspull because we had no explanation out of nowhere how he survived he just survived without any logical reasoning behind it.
It´s a cartoonish situation where plot armor created a plothole in both cases because of cheap writing for the sake of a joke/not kill a character off.

Neither Bleach or Naruto who get alot of hate by the bandwagon guys had such blatant in your face trolling in them. Yes Kubo has the heart and Naruto has talk no jutsu but they don´t have such severe plotholes as hells memories or Pell created.

Another example of Odas cartoonish writing.
It´s Oda when he changes the laws like he needs them sometimes he makes it cartoonish for the sake of a joke sometimes he brings logic back to reality.
IsterioMar 11, 2015 5:39 AM
Mar 11, 2015 5:43 AM

Oct 2010
Mikasa said:

Again, asspull and nothing else. I'd say it's not a plot hole simply because it lacks the plot relevance to be considered like that. It was an anecdote, the typical exaggeration of the characters' resilience. In this same arc we had Chopper surviving, barely hurt, after 10-20 bombs exploded in his face at the same time.

If anything, it's more of a bad/self-defeating move than anything, because the concept of Pell's death had been hyped and was a very relevant part of the emotional delivery in that scene.
Mar 11, 2015 6:05 AM
Oct 2013
jal90 said:
Mikasa said:

Again, asspull and nothing else. I'd say it's not a plot hole simply because it lacks the plot relevance to be considered like that. It was an anecdote, the typical exaggeration of the characters' resilience. In this same arc we had Chopper surviving, barely hurt, after 10-20 bombs exploded in his face at the same time.

If anything, it's more of a bad/self-defeating move than anything, because the concept of Pell's death had been hyped and was a very relevant part of the emotional delivery in that scene.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plot_hole

One piece fanboys just refuse to accept facts.
There read the definition, Pell perfectly qualifies for this.

One Piece is a cartoonish show, Oda has stressed that out multiple times, people just have to stop comparing it to Shakespeare and put it on the same pedastal.

Regarding your example Chopper survived small bombs without defined explosion radius.
5km vicinity is a specified term it´s 5km.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_svUT3QOA4&ab_channel=Snipertoaster
IsterioMar 11, 2015 6:10 AM
Mar 11, 2015 6:10 AM

Jan 2014
DrGeroCreation said:
@Paul Everyone jumped on the hate bandwagon because of the war arc. There are people who actually dropped it because they simply heard negative things about the war arc . It's just like what happened to Bleach, everyone jumped on the hate bandwagon because of the Fake Karakura Town arc. It's like one bad arc completely invalidates the entire series for people.

Agreed. I don't understand the mentality of just one bad portion destroying all the enjoyment you had from the best part of the series. Some people like to focus way too much on the negative.

IntroverTurtle said:
Last One Piece discussion of this version, lets make it generic.

Which fight had your favorite finisher? I think I'd have to say Luffy vs Enel. The gold rifle when it hit the bell was a glorious moment, especially when you saw Cricket on the sea. Second and third would have to be Arlong and Crocodile, can't decide their order though. Luffy stomping Arlong through the floor was a great scene.

Luffy vs Crocodile, and that's my favourite finisher in all of anime. Doesn't help that I'm a sucker for classical music, but Dvorak's symphony fit it so perfectly.

In terms of build up: Up to that point, that was the farthest we've had to see Luffy strain, and considering Whiskey Peak as the start of the whole saga makes it even more impressive. It was also simultaneously personal (Luffy trying to surpass one of the Ouka Shichibukai) and sacrifical (for Vivi and her kingdom). The stakes were huge and the amount of blood, sweat, tears and luck that went into it puts most other arcs to shame. Luffy was basically killed twice (only Kakuzu can make a similar claim), not to mention that his dedication managed to sway Robin.

In terms of the actual moment: the classic face off of attacks (Gomu Gomu no Storm vs. Desert L'Espada!), the superb voice acting (that's the moment that Luffy's screams gave me the most chills), and the fact that it was Luffy's most impressive feat to date, punching through several layers of bedrock just made it beautiful to behold.
Then there's Vivi standing in the clocktower looking stupefied at seeing Crocodile flung so far in the air, and remembering the anguish she felt and Luffy's brash answer. It just went to show that up till that point, she hadn't really believed that it was possible, especially after seeing Crocodile's might.

In terms of the conclusion: Utilizing 'pathetic fallacy', it starts to rain once Crocodile is over, and the fighting finally stops. Vivi gives the words to sum up the saga: "This rain that is falling will fall has it has always done. The nightmare is over."
Then it cuts to another one of those powerful scenes that makes One Piece what it is: A King kneeling down in front of a mere pirate, giving him his thanks as the chamber continues to crumble around them. Luffy gives a "no problem" response, which belies the incredible effort and strain that went into achieving the victory. Of course, all of this while the New World Symphony reaches its own conclusion.

tl:dr, it's beautiful.

Isterio said:
jal90 said:

One Piece is a cartoonish show, Oda has stressed that out multiple times, people just have to stop comparing it to Shakespeare and put it on the same pedastal.

Regarding your example Chopper survived small bombs without defined explosion radius.

You do realize the futility in claiming a cartoon is cartoonish, right?
What next? That comedy is comedic!
By the way, you are still the only one to ever relate OP to Shakespeare. Are you projecting by any chance?

Mod Edit: Merged duplicated posts; please use the edit button.
sarroushMar 11, 2015 6:57 AM
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Mar 11, 2015 6:19 AM

Feb 2015
1. In my opinion It can be Boku no hero academia,it retains many qualities form naruto because the mangaka is a huge fan of naruto manga ( Oh the agony he felt after the naruto manga ended,probably he watches the shitty filler filled anime now) The manga is based on superheroes and is very good in rankings.Read it very good stuff.
2.The other one i wanna talk about but im not so sure is Black clover.I have not read it because only the raw's have been released but it have been translated by viz ( i read free manga,you do too so stop bitching ) But the way that ForneverWorld and Double4Anime talked about it,the first chapter is exactly like naruto with only a few differences.But i still have high intentions for it and hope that later on it goes its own path and have its own unique storyline.
Mar 11, 2015 6:33 AM

Oct 2010
Isterio said:
jal90 said:

You should probably be less of an asshole and understand why I say this:

Isterio said:

Wikipedia said:
A plot hole, or plothole is a gap or inconsistency in a storyline that creates a paradox in the story that cannot be reconciled with any explanation. These include such things as illogical or impossible events, and statements or events that contradict earlier events in the storyline. Plot holes have been defined as "...contradictions in a screenplay...[which] can both be mentioned on paper or implied by the premise and universe of the screenplay."

What gap or inconsistency does Pell's survival create in the overall storyline? It is not mentioned again. It has not been part of a later arc, nothing so far has been developed taking this event as a basis. I am not saying that it is more or less of a flaw, I am saying that it has zero causal or consequential relevance in the storyline. It contradicted the feeling of loss Vivi showed, but it did later, when this feeling was not plot relevant anymore.

His survival does not contradict anything set earlier. Because the series never said explicitly that Pell was dead. It was something that Vivi assumed and the readers/watchers were built into through narrative speculation.

Isterio said:

Okay thanks goodbye, now tell me why are you telling me this and why should I care about it.

Isterio said:

Whether the radius was bigger or smaller it doesn't matter because both Chopper and Pell were inside of it at the moment of the explosions.
jal90Mar 11, 2015 6:36 AM
Mar 11, 2015 6:40 AM

Jun 2011
Yea I don't understand why are people mixing up asspull/DEM with plothole. Plothole is a legit hole in the established law of the universe, like for example, in One Piece, it is said that DF users can't swim in the ocean, and if a DF user could swim, then it's a plothole.
Mar 11, 2015 6:49 AM
Oct 2013
jal90 said:
Isterio said:

You should probably be less of an asshole and understand why I say this:

Isterio said:

Wikipedia said:
A plot hole, or plothole is a gap or inconsistency in a storyline that creates a paradox in the story that cannot be reconciled with any explanation. These include such things as illogical or impossible events, and statements or events that contradict earlier events in the storyline. Plot holes have been defined as "...contradictions in a screenplay...[which] can both be mentioned on paper or implied by the premise and universe of the screenplay."

What gap or inconsistency does Pell's survival create in the overall storyline? It is not mentioned again. It has not been part of a later arc, nothing so far has been developed taking this event as a basis. I am not saying that it is more or less of a flaw, I am saying that it has zero causal or consequential relevance in the storyline. It contradicted the feeling of loss Vivi showed, but it did later, when this feeling was not plot relevant anymore.

His survival does not contradict anything set earlier. Because the series never said explicitly that Pell was dead. It was something that Vivi assumed and the readers/watchers were built into through narrative speculation.

Isterio said:

Okay thanks goodbye, now tell me why are you telling me this and why should I care about it.

Isterio said:

Whether the radius was bigger or smaller it doesn't matter because both Chopper and Pell were inside of it at the moment of the explosions.

include such things as illogical or impossible events,

If the bomb had a vicinity of 5km and the whole cast was afraid that it could cause houndred thousands of casualities because the bomb would "KILL" it is a paradox that Pell survived this head on, according to the shown context, it was head on and he was caught within the explosion radius.

If Oda would had let Pell/or anyone who witnessed this or even show a scene where he gets out of the explosion range because of his speed feats this would be perfectly justifieable and this discussion would not be neccecary.

Again the pictures show that he takes it head on
The sheer fact that he didn´t do this because he decided on a whim to bring him back makes it a plothole. Vivivs griefing over him and the whole momment get destroyed because of his survival regarding the later plot relevance. Which is unnecessary to be elaborated on because already the fact that he survived without any explanation given qualifies it for a plothole.
Regarding the argument that his durability is high enough to sustain the nuke is bullshit too because we saw him getting stabbed by a regular knife when he fought Nico Robin.

Therefore the only justifieable way would be (the bomb wasn´t dangerous in the first place) which would remove the purpose of stopping the explosion and the tension it caused would be completely irelevant. It was never explained that the bomb was harmless therefore still a plothole.
IsterioMar 11, 2015 6:55 AM
Mar 11, 2015 6:56 AM

Jun 2012
>Ripping One Piece apart for a flaw that happened over 50 volumes ago
Mar 11, 2015 6:59 AM

Jun 2011
Kaimon said:
It's a "Big 3 discussion" thread. o_o
Mar 11, 2015 7:06 AM

Jun 2012
ToG25thBaam said:
Kaimon said:

The Pell discussion gets annoying real fast, though, especially when Isterio starts busting out the "One Piece fanboy" and "plothole" cards
Mar 11, 2015 7:07 AM

Oct 2010
Isterio said:
include such things as illogical or impossible events,

...in the narrative context of the show. And this is where the show being cartoonish and not having clear rules in this matter plays in its advantage.

Isterio said:
If the bomb had a vicinity of 5km and the whole cast was afraid that it could cause houndred thousands of casualities because the bomb would "KILL" it is a paradox that Pell survived this head on, according to the shown context, it was head on and he was caught within the explosion radius.

Again, speculation. It's difficult to contradict an event that never happened.

Isterio said:
If Oda would had let Pell/or anyone who witnessed this or even show a scene where he gets out of the explosion range because of his speed feats this would be perfectly justifieable and this discussion would not be neccecary.

Then that would be a clear plot hole, because Pell's speed had been proved to not be high enough to move 5 kms in 1 second. In his fight with Robin you can confirm that. Instead, his survival due to physical resistance hadn't been explicitly contradicted in the story.

Isterio said:
The sheer fact that he didn´t do this because he deiced on a whim to bring him back makes it a plothole. Vivivs griefing over him and the whole momment get destroyed because of his survival regarding the later plot relevance. Which is unnecessary to be elaborated on because already the fact that he survived without any explanation given qualifies it for a plothole.

But Pell's survival had no plot relevance in the event narrated at that moment, because it happened post hoc. Vivi's feelings were important at that moment, she didn't know that Pell would survive and she responded to that. There were no facts contradicted simply because there were no facts confirmed. Again, that doesn't make it better; in retrospective analysis, it makes Vivi's reaction naive and exaggerated. Which is a strong narrative flaw and precisely the reason why this is a specially bad case in the "fake deaths" routine in this series, because it banalizes the emotional resonance the sacrifice had.
Mar 11, 2015 7:09 AM

Jan 2014
ToG25thBaam said:
Kaimon said:

Which basically means it is a One Piece discussion thread ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Kaimon said:
The Pell discussion gets annoying real fast, though, especially when Isterio starts busting out the "One Piece fanboy" and "plothole" cards.

It will naturally get a lot of attention because it's one of the few things people can find reason to complain about. I'm yet to see anyone that likes it. It's when you get into the 'plothole' using speculations that it gets bland.

I'm more interested in why Isterio wants Bon Clay dead so badly. Is okama way an affront to his sensibilities?
RedRoseFringMar 11, 2015 7:13 AM
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Mar 11, 2015 7:16 AM

Mar 2012
ToG25thBaam said:
Mikasa said:
With his wings gained from his DF power. He was without wings. Who knows once his wings were tattered by the shock wave, he reverse his zoan transformation? Plus, take in the factor that zoan gives better durability and endurance.

Mikasa said:
There's no law that says one cannot survive against a nuke. It might be an asspull like I said, but it's not a plothole. Akainu freakin' survived a quake punch to the brain and nobody complained just because he looks a bit more gar. -_-

Yeah not to counter a nuke.

And there is. He barely survived having his body broken by Robin's arms. That's a testament to where his durability stands, and that's proof how his being able to survive a Nuke on the otherhand is a contradiction.

jal90 said:
Mikasa said:

Same answer ^

P.S Chopper survivng the bombs was also a plot hole/asspull, regardless of how infamous it is.

The worst plot holes however, are the recent ones, the world of OP is being broken, and soon it might end up like Naruto's universe.
End Zionazism
Mar 11, 2015 7:16 AM

Apr 2013
The thing I'm most upset about the whole Pell thing is actually that a shitty character like him survived while great characters like Vergo and Monet had to die... wtf Oda -_-
Mar 11, 2015 7:18 AM

Jun 2011
RedRoseFring said:
ToG25thBaam said:

Well that made me lol. :D

Kaimon said:

especially when Isterio starts busting out the "One Piece fanboy" and "plothole" cards
I agree with that, especially when we have been saying that it's an asspull (debatable if you try hard enough, like IntroverTurtle), not a good one, so it's like, who's fanboying over what. We're just saying that it's not a plothole.
Mar 11, 2015 7:20 AM

Mar 2012
ToG25thBaam said:
RedRoseFring said:

Well that made me lol. :D

Kaimon said:

especially when Isterio starts busting out the "One Piece fanboy" and "plothole" cards
I agree with that, especially when we have been saying that it's an asspull (debatable if you try hard enough, like IntroverTurtle), not a good one, so it's like, who's fanboying over what. We're just saying that it's not a plothole.

"Meet me half-way or you're a fanboy" and "I've conceded one thing so you have to concede the other without any debate"

Yeah, that's not how it works.
Just because you admit it's an asspull doesn't mean we can't point out the contradiction behind ti.
End Zionazism
Mar 11, 2015 7:24 AM

Oct 2011
Gator said:
The thing I'm most upset about the whole Pell thing is actually that a shitty character like him survived while great characters like Vergo and Monet had to die... wtf Oda -_-

What is more funny is how Vergo is on a completely different class than the other executives in Mingo's crew, yet he has the same title as them

Monet isn't confirmed dead I think, Oda might bring her back in the future.
Mar 11, 2015 7:27 AM

Nov 2010
ToG25thBaam said:
I thought Oda didn't confirm Sabo's death? It was a fanbook or something written by someone else. I remember reading it in the SBS, he didn't say anything when someone asked him the question, which hints that Sabo was actually not quite dead yet.
He never did, we were just trying to keep the thread going with bullshit. But I see it didn't help.

And funny thing is it's been called the battle shounen / big 3 title was used on the first thread too not just the second.
Mar 11, 2015 7:28 AM

Apr 2013
Borgov said:
Gator said:

What is more funny is how Vergo is on a completely different class than the other executives in Mingo's crew, yet he has the same title as them

And he got defeated way before we even saw the weaker members, that whole Donquixote pirates-introduction was so strange...

I really really hope Monet comes back, I liked her :(
Mar 11, 2015 7:29 AM

Jun 2014
New thread ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Obligatory: My favourite battle anime is Hunter X HUnter 2011. My least favourite of the big three is Bleach.

Luna_ said:
Fanlore Wiki

Interesting. I've always believed that Big three was made exclusively for One Piece, Naruto and Bleach. Anyway, it's just a fanmade word so there are probably as many definitions as there are individuals. Well, I guess AoT is now part of the big three.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Let's just all agree that the Pell bullshit was bad writing, plot hole or not (although I personally think it's one). That discussion is basically a dead horse at this point.

Isterio said:

This might interest you.
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ItRunsOnNonsensoleum?from=Main.ItRunsOnNonsenseoleum
AgafinMar 11, 2015 7:47 AM
Mar 11, 2015 7:33 AM

Oct 2011
Gator said:
Borgov said:

And he got defeated way before we even saw the weaker members, that whole Donquixote pirates-introduction was so strange...

Agreed. The Law cut up was cool and all but it was pulled out of his ass.

I honestly believe Vergo could even beat Luffy and Zoro, he is that deadly with his Haki.

If Monet does come back, Law needs to use shambles and get her arms and legs back.
Mar 11, 2015 7:35 AM

Jun 2011
Mikasa said:
Yeah not to counter a nuke.

And there is. He barely survived having his body broken by Robin's arms. That's a testament to where his durability stands, and that's proof how his being able to survive a Nuke on the otherhand is a contradiction.
The thing with Robin's power is that even pre TS Zoro is affected iirc, I don't know where all the powers come from, but apparently that's how it works with her DF. And we've seen how much of a tank Zoro is.

Mikasa said:

"Meet me half-way or you're a fanboy" and "I've conceded one thing so you have to concede the other without any debate"
Said no one ever, which is why this is still going. What I was trying to prove with my previous post was that we're not fanboying over it as we are not blind to the flaw, hence Isterio's claim that we're fanboying and putting One Piece on pedestal is incorrect.

Borgov said:

I honestly believe Vergo could even beat Luffy and Zoro, he is that deadly with his Haki.
You mean he's actually deadly, or he only looked deadly? Any feats of his that put him above Luffy's feat of destroying Noah that's probably the size of FI?
Mar 11, 2015 7:44 AM

Oct 2011
ToG25thBaam said:
You mean he's actually deadly, or he only looked deadly? Any feats of his that put him above Luffy's feat of destroying Noah that's probably the size of FI?

Took on both Smoker (Vice Admiral) and Law (Shichibukai) at the same time
Cracking Sanji's leg
Full body armament haki
Needed a island slicing Law swing in order to be taken out

Luffy has been very disappointing so far in the New World.
Mar 11, 2015 7:44 AM

Apr 2013
Borgov said:
Gator said:

If Monet does come back, Law needs to use shambles and get her arms and legs back.

Yeah Vergo's "Oni Take" was pretty cool and then he goes fullbody haki and I'm like "WTF EPIC O_O"... and in the next scene he gets one-shotted, really? -_-

Monet with her own legs and arms would be nice, though I also like her harpy form :)
Mar 11, 2015 7:45 AM

Jan 2014
Borgov said:
Gator said:

I doubt Vergo could beat Luffy. Even then, it's unsurprising he was defeated by Law seeing as Law's is easily one of the most OP fruits in the entire anime.
I don't see how him doing what he has been doing all along (cutting up stuff) is something he pulled out of his ass.

Borgov said:
ToG25thBaam said:

He faced them one after the other, not together, and Law had a serious handicap at the start.
RedRoseFringMar 11, 2015 7:50 AM
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Mar 11, 2015 7:47 AM

Feb 2013
>Changes thread into a big 3 discussion to reduce issues
>Does'nt realize that is the issue
Mar 11, 2015 7:49 AM

Nov 2010
King_of_Devils said:
One Piece is never an issue.
Mar 11, 2015 7:51 AM

Oct 2010
RedRoseFring said:
Borgov said:

I doubt Vergo could beat Luffy. Even then, it's unsurprising he was defeated by Law seeing as Law's is easily one of the most OP fruits in the entire anime.
I don't see how him doing what he has been doing all along (cutting up stuff) is something he pulled out of his ass.

Also, it's relevant to say that having a better haki doesn't make you automatically undefeatable; you have to count natural strength, devil fruit and/or haki, all of them can be combined to pierce a strong armor. Law's victory was -to me- boring and anticlimactic but it was grounded, I think, on the idea that a combination of these elements could make up for the clear advantage Vergo had in one of them.
Mar 11, 2015 7:53 AM

Jun 2011
Borgov said:
Needed a island slicing Law swing in order to be taken out
You put this as a point, but then you stated this ->
Borgov said:

Doesn't that contradict your point a little?

Borgov said:

Luffy has been very disappointing so far in the New World.
A little bit, but we'll see, especially with the upcoming (manga spoiler)

Vergo had Law's heart. Smoker hadn't been impressive, it's the preconception of him being the Strawhat's Garp that delude people.

Cracking Sanji's leg
Again, people like to put Sanji close to Zoro and Luffy, while nothing so far has proven that. Also, Sanji was roughed up before his confrontation with Vergo, and, Sanji isn't a BH specialist.

Full body armament haki

And people have been saying that (manga spoiler)
Mar 11, 2015 7:54 AM

Jan 2014

I think that's one of his biggest problems with the series. He wants it to completely mirror real life in some arbitrary areas. Like 200 volts must kill people, and disagree and you're a fanboy.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Mar 11, 2015 7:54 AM

Feb 2013
IntroverTurtle said:
King_of_Devils said:

But Anti-One Pioece can be now, can't it
Mar 11, 2015 7:55 AM

Apr 2014
King_of_Devils said:
IntroverTurtle said:

But Anti-One Pioece can be now, can't it
It already could <.<
Mar 11, 2015 7:56 AM

Feb 2015
I THOUGHT THIS WAS SUPPOSED TO BE A THREAD ABOUT WHO WILL BE THE NEW BIG THREE,AW COME ON!EVERYONE KNOWS ONE PIECE SUCKS ASS!!I DROPPED THAT SHIT AFTER PUNK HAZARD,ITS TOO SLOW PACED AND BORING!!!

*HATERS COMING MY WAY*
*BRACES*
START!!!
Mar 11, 2015 7:56 AM

Jan 2014
jal90 said:

Also, it's relevant to say that having a better haki doesn't make you automatically undefeatable; you have to count natural strength, devil fruit and/or haki, all of them can be combined to pierce a strong armor. Law's victory was -to me- boring and anticlimactic but it was grounded, I think, on the idea that a combination of these elements could make up for the clear advantage Vergo had in one of them.

Agreed. I think too many people get too wound up about "power levels."
I saw someone complain for example about Sugar

Being strong doesn't somehow negate the effect of a devil fruit.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Mar 11, 2015 7:57 AM

Apr 2014
CyberAnimeLover said:
I THOUGHT THIS WAS SUPPOSED TO BE A THREAD ABOUT WHO WILL BE THE NEW BIG THREE,AW COME ON!EVERYONE KNOWS ONE PIECE SUCKS ASS!!I DROPPED THAT SHIT AFTER PUNK HAZARD,ITS TOO SLOW PACED AND BORING!!!

*HATERS COMING MY WAY*
*BRACES*
START!!!
thinks Naruto and Bleach are the best shows evah... <.<
Mar 11, 2015 8:02 AM

Jun 2014
RedRoseFring said:

I think that's one of his biggest problems with the series. He wants it to completely mirror real life in some arbitrary areas. Like 200 volts must kill people, and disagree and you're a fanboy.

Yeah, he doesn't understand the story structure. The whole Shakespear stuff is dumb anyway, no battle shonen is like that and no one mentioned it(besides him)
Mar 11, 2015 8:02 AM

Sep 2013
Thoughts on the big 3 :

Bleach - the best of the big, the action is really choreographed and detailed, the characters are well developed and more mature than your average shounen characters, the themes are well thought out and it has a lot of deep psychological speeches and symbolic things.

Naruto - it's good but the ending really showcases that the author is a sellout and ended it way too early to sell merchandise and in the process completely ruined his characters and story.

One piece - good adventure/action/fantasy series but after the time skip became really slow and toned down, is currently improving thou with the dressrosa arc even thou it's too long.

Other candidates for big 3 :

TORIKO - thee best ongoing adventure/action/fantasy manga, t delivers each and every week without fail, a truly rare thing nowadays.
The world building is impeccable and the characters are adults which is near unheard of in popular shounen.
WHY READ TORIKO?
http://myanimelist.net/profile/ichii_1/reviews

One Punch Man - an amazing series that dwells into a guy that's too powerful, really has some nice themes and is not just about fighting.
Mar 11, 2015 8:05 AM

Jun 2012
Considering Naruto is in filler/finished and we can count on one hand the amount of thread regulars who care about Bleach this really will become the One Piece Discussion Thread if it's reduced to solely the Big 3 but i'm not complaining

So hopefully by the time we get to v.4 the Dressrosa arc will be over, I'm enjoying it but I wanna see how much chaos the inevitable Doflamingo downfall will cause and Kaidou's appearance, it also wouldn't hurt to have some new scenery
Mar 11, 2015 8:06 AM

Feb 2013
Agafin said:
The whole Shakespear stuff is dumb anyway, no battle shonen is like that and no one mentioned it(besides him)

How did shakespear fit into a BS discussion???

#curious
Mar 11, 2015 8:18 AM

Jun 2014
Is Blackbeard capable of absorbing two devil fruits an asspull/ a plot hole? Seems at the same level of bull as a DF user capable of swimming to me.

Does Fullmetal Alchemist have any plot hole/asspull? Or it is it the only long running 'if you can count it as such) battle shonen without any plothole/asspull(besides HxH ofc)?
Pages (124) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

202 by Vaturna »»
3 minutes ago

» Is it over for newcomer boomers?

LenRea - 5 hours ago

11 by Zarutaku »»
7 minutes ago

Poll: » How do you watch anime?

RobertBobert - Yesterday

25 by Atashi_Agatha »»
10 minutes ago

» Do you watch anything else besides anime? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 21

83 by Atashi_Agatha »»
12 minutes ago

» Do you drop shows? ( 1 2 )

EverRealm - Apr 23

65 by Atashi_Agatha »»
18 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.