Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Mar 7, 2015 2:50 PM

Sep 2014
I was wondering why this series is not more popular. It's ranked #57 but is only ranked #458 in terms of popularity. The main reason I can see is the seinen setting and general dark feeling.

Why are we still here? Just to suffer? Every night, I can feel my leg... and my arm... even my fingers. The body I've lost... the comrades I've lost... won't stop hurting... It's like they're all still there. You feel it, too, don't you? I'm gonna make them give back our past."
Mar 7, 2015 3:02 PM

Dec 2013
Also that it has a realistic setting.
Mar 7, 2015 3:05 PM

Jan 2010
It just doesn't appeal to a wide audience. It's also not a very fun or entertaining anime. It's engaging as all hell, don't get me wrong, but it's not something a normal person can get excited over, especially when the show is all about fighting your way out from the depths of society.
Mar 7, 2015 3:06 PM

Jul 2011
The second part of the series
Mar 7, 2015 3:07 PM

Sep 2014
The second part was just as good as the first half.
Why are we still here? Just to suffer? Every night, I can feel my leg... and my arm... even my fingers. The body I've lost... the comrades I've lost... won't stop hurting... It's like they're all still there. You feel it, too, don't you? I'm gonna make them give back our past."
Mar 7, 2015 3:07 PM

Jan 2010
Praland said:

I'll say this though: the show really went out of its way to make the main characters' lives suck.
Mar 7, 2015 3:12 PM

Dec 2013
Praland said:
Agreed. The 2nd half got boring and the narration just got annoying
Mar 8, 2015 2:36 PM

Sep 2014
G_Spark233 said:
Praland said:
Agreed. The 2nd half got boring and the narration just got annoying
Maybe but that doesn't matter cause of the last episode
Mar 9, 2015 10:11 AM
May 2014
It's not popular Because its not Moe Or some fanservice crap. People are reluctant to Try new Things. And It's not currently airing People are to Busy discussing Currently airing shows.
Mar 9, 2015 10:23 AM

Dec 2012
I don't know, I only found about it by chance, and was surprised that I never heard about it, since it has an interesting premise.

TheTragicPrince said:
It's not popular Because its not Moe Or some fanservice crap.

Plenty of anime, that don't fall into those are a lot more popular. It's just about exposure and word of mouth.
Mar 11, 2015 10:35 AM

Aug 2014
Its the characters. The good guys are the good guys, and the bad guys are over the top bad guys. Kinda like SAO.

Im not really a fan of anime where they make us the audience pity the main characters and demonize the evil characters all in one. Kinda my main problem with Anohana.
Mar 18, 2015 10:21 AM

May 2014
Probably because it's dark theme and setting puts off a lot of people. Plus the second half keeps it from being higher in the rankings.
"You either die an Ashita no Joe, or you live long enough to see yourself become a Naruto."
Mar 29, 2015 10:03 AM
Jul 2012
Because of the name and because of episode 1 first half.
May 25, 2016 2:42 PM

Sep 2014
I don't think this anime is that unpopular. I heard a lot of good things about this anime and probably too much for what the anime actually deserve.

The seinen tag would never put off the mass because as I noticed, edgy anime and those anime that want to be mature attract to a large degree the western viewers. Things like Hellsing, Parasyte, Tokyo Ghoul and such became extremely popular in the west and probably a lot more than ecchi and harem anime.

G_Spark233 said:
it has a realistic setting.

You're totally right. Plus it has a historical setting. Those are such unpopular settings, but at the same time they usually make an anime vastly more overrated.
Aug 4, 2016 12:28 PM
Jun 2009
ooo333 said:
Its the characters. The good guys are the good guys, and the bad guys are over the top bad guys. Kinda like SAO.

Im not really a fan of anime where they make us the audience pity the main characters and demonize the evil characters all in one. Kinda my main problem with Anohana.

consider yourself very fortunate if you have lived a life where you think the evil characters in this anime are "over the top"
Aug 5, 2016 9:52 PM

May 2014
I cannot understand too. If not for MAL I would never know the existence of this anime. I don't wanna believe that "to be an anime that is in an old time, doesn't call attention." Animes like this that really messes with "feels" beats most listed in the top 10 of popularity and top 50 overall...
Aug 5, 2016 9:58 PM

May 2014
ooo333 said:

LOL anohana really sucks, is not even comparable with Rainbow. I believe here they put really emotions in the way it is, anohana is just a lot of people crying because a fucking ghost that one person can see?????
Sep 13, 2016 6:21 AM

Jan 2014
i only found this anime randomly and im so glad for that. yes it might be becaouse of the name partly that it aint that popular. absolutely nothing got boring for me only the first ep did. maybe people think their friendship started off too fast or maybe their soul just cant take raw violence.

this is the only time when it comes to an anime that i will say "i just dont understand why people wont like this"

and when it comes to a show like cowboy bebop "i dont get why people says its good"
Sonic X is basically an isekai
Sep 13, 2016 6:28 AM

Apr 2015
The time in which it takes place along with the brutality limit its appeal a bit. The most popular anime on MAL are preteen-friendly mainstream titles like Death Note, SAO, AoT, Shippuden, etc.
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
Sep 13, 2016 8:50 AM

Dec 2012
CatSoul said:
The time in which it takes place along with the brutality limit its appeal a bit. The most popular anime on MAL are preteen-friendly mainstream titles like Death Note, SAO, AoT, Shippuden, etc.

That would make it appealing to those pre teens lol. Death Note and AoT have more brutality in them, they are just not as melodramatic.
Nov 4, 2017 12:04 AM

Oct 2017
No cheap "cute" waifu's, no Shounen stuff etc. instead its dark and very mature. Of course its not very popular
Nov 29, 2017 4:28 PM

Apr 2017
It's not on any legal streaming sites.

It doesn't have a dub or even a DVD/blu-ray release in English
Jan 3, 2018 9:33 PM
Jul 2009
As I just dropped the series, I figured I'd add my own two cents:

The only character I liked was An-chan/Rokurouta (and Setsuko, but she's so minor it doesn't matter). I found a few of the characters annoying (Turtle) and infuriating (Ishihara and Sasaki, obviously). The thing is, they weren't infuriating because they were well written, evil people - they were infuriating because the plot made them succeed and the kids fail for no reason other than "please suspend your disbelief until the next time this happens". SPOILERS. Especially in episode 12. It was just one more ridiculous thing after another. Now the only character I liked is gone and I don't like where the current arc is going, so I'm done for the foreseeable future.

Even before then, I'd say I only felt it was decent. I didn't particularly find any moments moving or take interest in any of their backstories. I didn't dislike it, but I feel it could have been better and now it's just not interesting.
Nov 7, 2019 6:47 PM

Sep 2014
Aardwolf94 said:
No cheap "cute" waifu's, no Shounen stuff etc. instead its dark and very mature. Of course its not very popular

When a cute waifu shounen stuff anime is better than a dark and very mature anime then it says a lot about how bad this anime is.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Rainbow Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

shanimebib - Jun 22, 2010

182 by AnimeDownUnder »»
Mar 22, 6:06 AM

Poll: » Rainbow Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Florete - Sep 28, 2010

220 by prozyne »»
Mar 6, 9:10 PM

Poll: » Rainbow Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Tomimi - Jul 6, 2010

111 by prozyne »»
Mar 4, 12:10 AM

Poll: » Rainbow Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

ShanaFlame - Apr 3, 2010

279 by prozyne »»
Feb 28, 9:24 AM

Poll: » Rainbow Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

ShanaFlame - May 5, 2010

150 by Dywei »»
Jan 26, 7:33 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.