Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Mar 3, 2015 12:24 PM
Dec 2014
I joined a sport club and made new 'friends' there, altough we never hung out or talked after practice, so I'm not sure if I can call them friends.

An advice: don't rush it mate, because you will end up being friends with people you won't even know in the end. It is better to take it easy and get to know people, there will be a stronger connection between you and the new friend, too.
j
Mar 3, 2015 2:39 PM

Mar 2013
work, (skate)parks and parties

sport clubs are great for making friends too
Mar 3, 2015 2:42 PM

Jan 2015
- Meet friends of other friends
- Work
- If you have hobbies that requires to interact with others, talk to them more
- If there's somewhere you frequent often (restaurant, store, etc) and see someone else that's a regular, make conversation
Mar 3, 2015 2:44 PM

Sep 2014
Lahi said:
Join a gym (met people there by asking them to spot me or ask advice)
Mar 4, 2015 7:29 AM
Mar 2015
Wow there are a lot of options. The most important thing here is to spend more time outside. You can meet people everywhere. Shop, library, museum, exhibition, party etc. Of course if you are a shy person you can meet people online. I advise you this site https://kovla.com/datings/us/raleigh I've already met a lot of new friends there. So can you. Btw can add me there too.
Mar 4, 2015 12:27 PM
Jul 2018
What's "NEET"?

I meet friends everywhere. Even random places like saunas and spa salons ^^
Mar 4, 2015 3:50 PM

Jan 2014
Yumes-lil-Faggot said:
First off, not everyone's a NEET and a basement dweller here. Stop thinking that everyone is like you. That'll help you meet new people.

Lies every person on mal is like this
Mar 4, 2015 4:04 PM
May 2007
In the 1990s during my school boy days, I made my non out of school friends through my Tae Kwon Do classes, at the arcade, and at the comic store.
Mar 4, 2015 4:20 PM
Jul 2018
I currently have one friend I contact regularly. I mean I have plenty of acquaintances I talk to if they're around, but it doesn't sound like that's what you're looking for. But I met my SO online and then I have two people who are my family at this point I met through a volunteer job (well one I got back in touch with through the job, we've known each other for a long while but grew apart at one point). So yeah, if you're comfortable with online, try that. If not, just talk to people in your environment. If there is no one to talk to there, find a new one to go to in your spare time.
Mar 4, 2015 4:22 PM

Nov 2008
Conventions for the most part, then I have the farmers market every Thursday morning.

Mar 4, 2015 4:30 PM

Jul 2012
I guess I actually should address some of these.

I work long hours and my job has taken priority over hobbies to a great extent. Thinking back a few years ago I did actually meet a fair number of people with my hobbies. However, I never made friends with any of them.

Soichirou said:
Wherever! At parties, outside, at events, at work , on street. How? By simply being outgoing and open minded :).

That doesn't work for everyone.

Wyzdm said:
Tinder

I've actually thought about that...

Lahi said:

I work 12 hour days, there's simply not time to regularly visit gym.

[/quote]
Toarujisuru said:
Well, first of all you have to make a conscious effort. You can't expect it to fall into your lap. I mean, who knows, maybe once in awhile it'll happen, but most times it won't. I've made friends with co-workers, people at anime conventions, fighting game tournaments, etc. Got a nearby bookstore that sells manga? Talk to people while their there. If they pick up a series you like, talk about it. Basically, you just gotta' leave your damn house. Otherwise, the chances of you finding a friend online who lives close by is super rare, but i've made plenty of online only friends too.

And please OP. Don't call your life shitty. You were right to cut ties with those coke heads. That's far from shitty, imo.

My life was shitty. Its pretty good now, I have money and my own place.

If it was a little less lonely it'd be pretty damn good.

Jiischa107 said:
parties
friends from friends

That would require me to have friends in the first place.

I have none.

Lahi said:
Definitely volunteer if you have time, great way to expand your network

Volunteering is actually a good idea, however the issue there is again time.
Mar 4, 2015 4:38 PM

May 2014
Yumes-lil-Faggot said:
First off, not everyone's a NEET and a basement dweller here. Stop thinking that everyone is like you. That'll help you meet new people.
lol true
Mar 4, 2015 4:39 PM
Sep 2014
working or literally any activity

if you aren't a complete shut in loser you are going to make friends just by living
Mar 4, 2015 8:24 PM

Aug 2012
Co-workers and mutual friends if you don't want school as an answer.
If you socialize in anything outside you can talk to someone who shares the same interest.
Umm...like the gym? I've made like three nice friends from the gym.
Get out there.

Mar 4, 2015 8:25 PM

Jun 2014
I'm going to stick around on this thread, might learn how to make friends.

Mar 4, 2015 8:45 PM

Jul 2012
My issue with I ended up getting wrapped up in a long hours job and at the same time drifted away from every single friend I had for good reasons. Time did not allow for hobbies I once held dear and I drifted away from them as well. I retreated into the internet for my socialization, this was honestly a mistake.

Eventually I woke up and smelled the shit.

I realized I was isolated without a leg to stand on and completely lost.

I've exhausted work as an option for friends, the one eligible coworker for friendship in about as close as we're going to get. I mean we have a good working relationship, but I can't imagine going places and doing things outside work with them.

I just need my spring board to get back into the world.
Mar 4, 2015 9:59 PM

Oct 2012
Honestly the best you could to is enroll in 1 class at a nearby University, it can just be something stupid like an acting class where it doesn't matter if you pass or not. But you will have a chance to meet a ton of new people. Even the 10 minutes before and after the class will give you a whole new bunch of people to talk to and unlike them you can do whatever you want because you don't have to study for anything else.

Even if the people on your class are meh they each have their own group of friends and you're bound to hit it off with someone eventually.
Mar 5, 2015 12:30 AM
Mob Character C

Oct 2009
Enroll in an acting class! OO: It's hard NOT to talk to people-- and if you usually don't talk to people or they usually shy away from you, you'll usually find that they'll approach you in those classes. Once people approach you, others will see that you're friendly and they'll approach you too.

You can also go to conventions. I made a lot of friends through cosplay. You go to gatherings, you hang with them for that time, then at the end of the day, you start exchanging FBs and stuff. Or they post pictures of the gathering, tag you in it, and then some overzealous person adds everyone who went to the gathering. They then invite you to other gatherings. You go. The same people are there and they remember you. You talk to them more, have a good time, and your bonds become closer. It's fun. ;u; Only problem with that is SOME of those cosplay-made friends might drop you if you stop cosplaying. There WILL be some that stick though, and that's the important part.

Enjoy your anime! | Witch Cafe Wisteria
Mar 5, 2015 4:21 AM

Aug 2014
Here
Mar 5, 2015 5:27 AM

Jul 2012
Drakehawk said:
Here

I think I'll pass on that one.

~~~

Anyways! I thank those of you who posted helpful advice as it did help me brainstorm ideas.

I've been getting an old GT car restored and set up to be a Track Day car. Something to road trip to different race tracks and have fun with. There's also a substantial gathering of enthusiasts for the car within easy driving distance. Not to mention local car shows and such. The process is just painfully slow and expensive.

Secondly, I've been piddling around with credit by exam college material. I'm going to step up work on this and possibly even enroll in a class at the local college. That is if it can fit around my work schedule.

I'm wanting to acquire a degree in biology and there's a large aquarium local I'm sure I can volunteer at. I'd rather have waited until I was further along on that path, however I guess it can't hurt to go ask around.

Finally, I'm going to get back into offshore kayak fishing, something I've been saying forever... The benefit being there's a large group of local enthusiasts as well as a large internet forum dedicated to the topic in the area I live in.
_MystMar 5, 2015 5:35 AM
Mar 5, 2015 6:53 AM

Feb 2015
geniobastardo said:
Mar 5, 2015 7:32 AM

Nov 2014
EmperorAkashi said:
geniobastardo said:

basically this. whatever you do, just be friendly and open-minded and you'll find some friends.
ALL HAIL LELOUCH! ALL HAIL BRITANNIA!

Mar 5, 2015 7:38 AM

Oct 2013
Meeting new people isn't hard. It's building the connection so it is worthwhile. Explore the things outside in life. Find events that happen like biking tours, parties, volunteer gigs, get to know your co-workers, etc. Just be open and adventurous is what I would say. You'll see that if you explore and put yourself out there, it won't be that hard to meet new people.
Mar 5, 2015 7:42 AM

Apr 2014
Try working at a summer camp.. I'm sure you'll meet some cool people there (the people that work there at least)... and not only do the kids get fun, but you'll get to have fun, too (this is from my point of view as one of the campers when I went to summer camp last year and the year before. I saw the staff having an awesome time with each other and always laughing)

or if you can't deal with kids, then try a bar (or something like a bar)?
Ha. Ha. HA. HA. HA. HA. HA. HA.
I'm laughing because you got hurt.
Mar 5, 2015 8:27 AM

Apr 2008
Online and at parties/bars/clubs
Mar 5, 2015 9:02 AM

Aug 2014
_Myst said:
Yumes-lil-Faggot said:

My post indicates I am neither, unlike you.
You dropped out of school lol
Mar 5, 2015 9:08 AM

Jul 2012
MechaKiryu said:
_Myst said:

My post indicates I am neither, unlike you.

Should work on your reading comprehension. I stated I dropped out for one year due to circumstances, nothing I could do about it.

I later went back, did double classes, and graduated on time.

Not to mention saying I've held a quality job for well over two years.
_MystMar 5, 2015 9:12 AM
Mar 5, 2015 9:12 AM

Aug 2014
_Myst said:
MechaKiryu said:

Should work on your reading comprehension. I stated I dropped out for one year due to circumstances, nothing I could do about it.

I did read that. My English reading comprehension is the top of my class.

What are these circumstances?

Mar 5, 2015 9:25 AM

Jul 2012
MechaKiryu said:
_Myst said:

I did read that. My English reading comprehension is the top of my class.

What are these circumstances?

This little child is certainly full of themselves.

Those matters of my life are private, but are of the not knowing where my next meal was coming from variety. The situation was worsened by buying into a sate funded distance learning program to avoid bad schools. Unfortunately that fell by the way side to more pressing concerns at the time.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Do you pay attention to forum signatures?

PostMahouShoujo - 6 hours ago

11 by vasipi4946 »»
20 minutes ago

» I'm a coomer, but the important question is...

LenRea - 5 hours ago

3 by Zarutaku »»
24 minutes ago

» Plushies

_Nette_ - 3 hours ago

0 by _Nette_ »»
3 hours ago

Poll: » the future of AI girlfriend technology

deg - 10 hours ago

18 by deg »»
3 hours ago

Poll: » In the future there will be battles for love between species from other planets(theory)

Absurdo_N - Yesterday

10 by Dracowyn »»
4 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.