Forum Settings
Forums
New
Mar 3, 2015 8:23 AM
Mar 2015
I play both. but others told me dota 2 is better than LoL

Mod Edit: Modified title for clarity and/or easier searching.
KinetaMar 4, 2015 5:31 AM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Mar 3, 2015 8:28 AM

Sep 2012
I'm a former Masters player on League and yes I agree that Dota is a shit ton better than League on many fronts.
☕ Truth be told, I'm quite proud of my house blend. To attain my flavor and fragrance, I use five different types of coffee beans. ☕
Mar 3, 2015 8:30 AM
Jan 2014
HoN master race.

Sep 2012
Endycia said:
HoN master race.
holy shit no
☕ Truth be told, I'm quite proud of my house blend. To attain my flavor and fragrance, I use five different types of coffee beans. ☕
Mar 2015
Korrvo said:
I'm a former Masters player on League and yes I agree that Dota is a shit ton better than League on many fronts.

But mostly anime lovers do vote for league and you're in their territory. hahahahaha TUS

Endycia said:
HoN master race.

yeah!

Mod Edit: Merged double posts.
KinetaMar 4, 2015 5:31 AM
Mar 3, 2015 8:38 AM
Mar 2014
I played league for over 4 years, trying other moba's atm. Tbh i diden't like dota. I am however playing smite and i'm loving it.
Mar 3, 2015 8:39 AM

Jul 2012
never gonna play either :^)
Mar 3, 2015 8:42 AM

Jan 2013
Aeon of Strife >>>>> all
Mar 3, 2015 8:44 AM

Sep 2012
daguayextreme said:
Korrvo said:

'
But mostly anime lovers do vote for league and you're in their territory. hahahahaha TUS
wtf is TUS suppose to mean
Mar 3, 2015 8:45 AM
Mar 2015
Korrvo said:
daguayextreme said:

'
wtf is TUS suppose to mean

teacher under surveillance
Mar 3, 2015 9:02 AM

Nov 2012
LoL is too casual
dota 2 > all
you have good taste m8
IF YOU LIKE DEATH PARADE, GO WATCH BARTENDER!!!
my animesongs chord thread : here bro
Mar 3, 2015 9:13 AM

Feb 2015
League.
ftw.

here we go again.
:::|| ---A N I M E L I S T--- || ---M A N G A L I S T--- || ---S I G N A T U R E S--- || ---C A R D S--- ||:::
Mar 3, 2015 12:48 PM
Oct 2011
Yep. Dota 2 is much better than League.
Mar 3, 2015 12:52 PM

Jul 2014
Dota is God tier. Screw your religion.

Mar 3, 2015 12:53 PM
Feb 2014
Osu! > both
Mar 3, 2015 12:53 PM
Dec 2010
The community is the downfall of both. Of all MOBAs, rather.
Mar 3, 2015 1:05 PM

Dec 2013
Eh, they're pretty similar. A lot of people like to claim DOTA is any less casual than LoL but honestly I don't feel that way. : / Both sides have the same tools at their disposal in each game and between games both have things that make for a more casual experience like the free teleports in LoL and the creep denial in DOTA.

I tend to play LoL more simply because I started playing that first and because it has Taric. Heals, buffs and a stun. What more could a player ask for. <3
Mar 3, 2015 1:06 PM
Sep 2013
Ellert0 said:
Eh, they're pretty similar. A lot of people like to claim DOTA is any less casual than LoL but honestly I don't feel that way. : / Both sides have the same tools at their disposal in each game and between games both have things that make for a more casual experience like the free teleports in LoL and the creep denial in DOTA.

I tend to play LoL more simply because I started playing that first and because it has Taric. Heals, buffs and a stun. What more could a player ask for. <3

since when is creep denying a "casual" aspect of the game?
Mar 3, 2015 1:10 PM

Apr 2014
Ellert0 said:

Dota has intrinsic stat growth. Creep denying. Heavy emphasis on map awareness. Turn rate. A higher level of needed mouse control for micro. More punishment for missing skills and whiffing proper uses of said skills. And so on. All of which Riot scrapped because they thought it was making the game too hardcore.

Both games are great. But Dota has a higher skill ceiling and a higher skill entry for it then League. Sorry.
daveMar 3, 2015 1:13 PM
Mar 3, 2015 1:11 PM

Apr 2012
creep denying lol

now i miss dota

Mar 3, 2015 1:19 PM

Sep 2012
I don't agree about the "skill ceiling" thing.

Yea, DOTA requires way more knowledge about the game to be able to play it at all, let alone be good at it, but that's just it. It has very little to do with your inherit skill, or at least, less so than League which focuses more so on reflexivity and game instinct, which is more reliant on your inherit skill.

Almost anyone can be good at Dota if given the time, but not quite as so with League.

There are heroes like Invoker and Meepo that require a lot of inherit skill, but they are a minority example. It just so happens that they are the first heroes people think of when they want to compare the skill differences between the two games, hence one of the many reasons for the extremely unfair and biased arguments surrounding the two.
Mar 3, 2015 1:22 PM
Jun 2014
League is just a simplified version of Dota. I prefer Dota 2 because of the graphics and characters. I tried League but I deleted it after 2 games. Smite is great too.
'The way of the wang is long...and hard'
Mar 3, 2015 1:26 PM

Apr 2014
being good at league is like being average at dota

there's more application of knowledge in dota. it's why league has millions of more players. because the average level of required skill is much lower. hell, most league players I know say they didn't like dota because it was "too hard" in comparison.

saying that "anyone can be good at something given time" is correct yes. but there is an edge that separates the good from the best. not everyone has this edge. so that sentiment can be applied to any game.
Mar 3, 2015 1:30 PM
Feb 2014
Swagzilla said:
League is just a simplified version of Dota. I prefer Dota 2 because of the graphics and characters. I tried League but I deleted it after 2 games. Smite is great too.

I'm not really big on MOBA, but I've played League before and I can be in the minority when I say when I did play DOTA 2 I got so much more hostility there than with League.

Nov 2012
most of LoL skill are skillshot
in dota you actually have to aim , timing and other shit before you actually hit #imlookingatyoufcukingmiranaarrow

Apr 2014
TheRealNico said:
I'm not really big on MOBA, but I've played League before and I can be in the minority when I say when I did play DOTA 2 I got so much more hostility there than with League.

cs go is way worse
Mar 3, 2015 1:31 PM

Nov 2012
you cant deny that LoL is easier version than dota and more ppl play it because its casual and ezforthem as ALL of my chinese friends told me they prefer LoL because dota is too hard.
Mar 3, 2015 1:33 PM
Feb 2014
cause said:
TheRealNico said:

cs go is way worse

I heard as well. They're pretty racist there as well as I've heard from others. Then again, FPS hardcores are probably the LCD of all gaming.

Sep 2012
cause said:

there's more application of knowledge in dota. it's why league has millions of more players. because the average level of required skill is much lower.

saying that "anyone can be good at something given time" is correct yes. but there is an edge that separates the good from the best. not everyone has this edge. so that sentiment can be applied to any game.
There's a difference between application of knowledge and application of instinct and reflexes. Many can do the former and can't do the latter, and vice versa.

There are many DOTA players that are very good at the game despite their micro skills being absolutely god awful (I believe purge is an example of this), and there are many League players good at the game despite their macro being god awful. If you put one of these players in the other game, they would suck shit.

Knowledge is not the only thing that equals skill, and knowledge is by far easier to learn than the ability to train a reflex. DOTA just so happens to put more of an emphasis on an intellect, and that's where it excels, while League excels at reflexivity.

You have to put more work in DOTA to get good at it, but even an educated idiot is more useful than an uneducated genius. Inherit skill is more rewarded in League, but not so much in DOTA.
Oct 2011
ninjastarforcex said:
you cant deny that LoL is easier version than dota and more ppl play it because its casual and ezforthem as ALL of my chinese friends told me they prefer LoL because dota is too hard.
> Chinese
> Playing LoL over dota 2

pls stop
Mar 3, 2015 1:34 PM
Jun 2014
cause said:

there's more application of knowledge in dota. it's why league has millions of more players. because the average level of required skill is much lower. hell, most league players I know say they didn't like dota because it was "too hard" in comparison.

I'm currently learning Dota 2 now and it's like the Street Fighter of MOBAs. Even the CPU can wreck you on normal, it's funny. You just see 4 heroes emerge from the jungle and rush you.
'The way of the wang is long...and hard'
Mar 3, 2015 1:34 PM

Nov 2012
Candor said:
ninjastarforcex said:
> Chinese

pls stop
yes
"nowadays in every netcafe in china, most ppl play league more than dota" -chao fan 2015
Mar 3, 2015 1:37 PM
Feb 2014
ninjastarforcex said:
Candor said:
> Chinese

pls stop
yes
"nowadays in every netcafe in china, most ppl play league more than dota" -chao fan 2015

I doubt it. A Chinese friend of mine told me DOTA 2 is the game of choice there. League's more popular by miles in Korea though.
Mar 3, 2015 1:40 PM

Nov 2012
TheRealNico said:
ninjastarforcex said:
yes

I doubt it. A Chinese friend of mine told me DOTA 2 is the game of choice there. League's more popular by miles in Korea though.

LoL is far more popular in both korea and china
i have my source from actual multiple real chinese human being. cant deny my survey fact.
every single chinese i meet from my uni, i always ask "hey do you play dota? is it popular in china?" 100% answer "it was popular but now ppl play LoL more"
Mar 3, 2015 1:40 PM
Oct 2011
ninjastarforcex said:
Candor said:
> Chinese

pls stop
yes
Dude there are academies for teaching Dota 2 and reality dota 2 shows in China. That's how big the game is in there. :/

I stayed with like 15 chinese in a language school once, they all played Dota 2. None played LoL.
Mar 3, 2015 1:45 PM
Feb 2014
Candor said:
ninjastarforcex said:
yes
Dude there are academies for teaching Dota 2 and reality dota 2 shows in China. That's how big the game is in there. :/

I stayed with like 15 chinese in a language school once, they all played Dota 2. None played LoL.

Oh shit forgot about those TV shows on DOTA 2. It certainly is true though. I remember watching it on YT so there you have it.
Mar 3, 2015 2:54 PM

Apr 2014
Korrvo said:
Inherit skill is more rewarded in League, but not so much in DOTA.

my sides

Korrvo said:
snip

1: You're correct. Knowledge and application are both important. But you cannot be truly great without both. You cannot be amazing at one and be bad in another. You can be "alright" with this, but you can't be truly good. Because of this fact that Dota has a lot more knowledge surrounded in it, it makes it harder. Combined with the fact there is just as much if not more emphasis on your "application" game in Dota with the positioning for teamfight advantages and specific item builds to maximize your application skills (blink dagger for example).

2: Purge is amazing at micro in comparison to other players. Micro isn't just being able to play Meepo and Invoker. Micro is being able to apply your skills at the proper amounts of time in a way that benefits you. The skills in Dota are overwhelmingly more diverse then league in what they can do. It's not just a ability stuns, b ability does damage, and c ability moves me closer. There are more levels of effects that are present. Invisibility, magic immunity, pure damage, ghost form, banishes, so on and so on and so on. Your micro hinges on applying these at the proper time.

3: Again no. Knowledge is a factor in application. Again, you cannot be amazing in one and be bad at another. By your logic, I should be able to be better at Street Fighter because I have the reflexes to push the buttons faster then my opponent, but since I lack the proper way to push my buttons due to being limited in knowledge, I will more then likely lose. You need to train both reflex in physical, and mental aspects. You keep trying to separate them. You can't. Not to mention your argument on "league being more reflex demanding" is absurd because this reflex applies to every high paced game ever. You can react fine, but if you react wrong you lose. That's where knowledge is applied. You can beef up your muscles all you want, but if you lack the mental state to apply the muscles, you're just a walking sack of dumb meat.

Your "inherit skill" seems more rewarding in league because it lacks many features that differentiate "good" players from "great" players. The plateau effect. The game is watered down. It's like being amazing at checkers, but thinking it's more demanding then chess.

Mod Edit: Merged double posts.
KinetaMar 4, 2015 5:39 AM
Mar 3, 2015 3:10 PM

Jan 2009
heroes of storm is better because its more easy and will not let you waste a lot of time much from what i have seen
Mar 3, 2015 5:41 PM

Sep 2012
cause said:
Korrvo said:
Inherit skill is more rewarded in League, but not so much in DOTA.

my sides
I've played and know about both enough to know. That's just how the games play out.

I never said that DOTA was without it own standard of reflexivity, obviously there is a base line for it due to a need for a timely application of the heavier amount of knowledge required for the game, but it absolutely does not compare to League's because DOTA is a much slower-paced game, if only by comparison. Master and constant use of micro is the one place where League excels, and that reason alone is often why people pick it over DOTA.

If you don't think so then you're not giving League the props it deserves in the one department it excels at, and you are choosing to ignore that.

And yes that is a fallacy cause I don't feel like arguing this much further. Gamers are just behind religious people and atheists in turns of stubbornness and being total sheep, so I'm not gonna bother.
Mar 3, 2015 6:02 PM

Apr 2014
No

People pick league over Dota because it's easier to understand and get to a higher level of understanding, without actually applying as much effort to it.

If you think Dota is slower paced, then you have never truly understood the iteration of the game on a level that merits. League just accelerates the growth of characters to come online earlier. Cutting max level to 18, removing denying, removing anything that deters this growth. The game has an illusion of fast paced because it is made shorter. Farming a wave efficiently while keeping tabs on characters on the map, rune spawns, camp spawns, team calls, what level and items your opponent has. Watching what abilities they spec'd for early on. Watching their levels to predict when certain abilities will be utilized in future near fights. It's all part of pacing. That is Dota's pacing. But most newer players don't understand that. You don't understand that. And that's why it seems slow paced. Because you don't play in a mentality that utilizes the game to it';s potential. That's like driving a race car that has been throttled and calling it slow. Watch some high level perspectives of Dota players. You'll see there are doing far more then just locking their camera to where their character is. Just because you play it slow paced, in no way means it is. League seems faster paced because the map is smaller, and you can normally press an ability every few seconds. It's not pacing. It's an illusion of pacing.

I think you hold League at too high of a value and it skews your views towards what you are accustomed with. League. You can play a thousand hours of a game. If you never try to understand it, then those thousand hours are meaningless. A man who builds properly for ten hours gets more progress done then a man who builds irrationally for a hundred hours.
Mar 3, 2015 6:06 PM

Apr 2012
Oh my fucking Me, here we go again.

I was Challenger on LoL, and I've played Doto 1 for 7 fucking years, and started replaying DotA 2 but I quit again (for a month).

This is merely my opinion just like your statements are your opinions, I see no way we can properly make a DotA vs LoL debate because of how different the two games are.

Mod Edit: Removed baiting.
KinetaMar 4, 2015 5:42 AM

Autocrat said:
Hitler was good, objectively.
Mar 3, 2015 6:08 PM

Sep 2012
@cause You kidding? I may have hit Masters in League but I've grown to despise the game over time. I'm just giving the game the props in the one area it deserves.

Meanwhile I have put a few hundred hours into playing Dota, and a few separate hundred hours just learning about the game, which includes watching it at a professional level of play. I'm pretty confident I know the differences between the two, and where each game excels over the other.

"But it's only an illusion of pacing." arrogant and pseudo-elitist claim 1 out of a billion.

^On the other hand, your bias is showing heavily, which is why I wanted to call this stupid conversation off before it just became us throwing insults at each other. It's not gonna evolve much beyond that, as it never does when it comes to people's favorite vidya games.
Mar 3, 2015 6:10 PM

Jan 2013
Immahnoob said:
I was Challenger on LoL, and I've played Doto 1 for 7 fucking years, and started replaying DotA 2 but I quit again (for a month).
I don't believe you, and even if you were I bet you're going to say something like 'back when it first came out' when the game was unbalanced as shit and easy to shoot through the ranks quickly

Immahnoob said:
This is merely my opinion just like your statements are your opinions, I see no way we can properly make a DotA vs LoL debate because of how different the two games are.
You can compare them because they have the same roots.

Honestly I don't understand how a game based off of DotA/Aeon of Strife ever got as popular as it did. I realize that Basshunter once did a song about it, but I always thought that was just fueled by autism more than anything. League and all that had to have come out when WC3 players were a low population. I just don't get how it rose to fame.

Mod Edit: Modified quote of edited post.
KinetaMar 4, 2015 5:43 AM
Mar 3, 2015 6:13 PM

Sep 2012
Syrup- said:
Immahnoob said:
I don't believe you
It's actually not all that hard to believe. Challenger over in Italy might as well be silver-gold due to the lower population.
Mar 3, 2015 6:19 PM

Apr 2012
Korrvo just dissed Europe for no reason, funny guy. There's no "Italian server", there's EUW and EUNE, and I played in both.

Anyway, if you don't believe me, that's just you, I lost my rank before the reset and even more with the decay. It was Season 3, by the way. Challenger did not exist prior of Season 3.
Syrup- said:
You can compare them because they have the same roots.
How I see it is a matter of preference, for now, LoL panders to a higher population, while DotA doesn't, their difficulty is different, their complexity, not so much, as in the end, if you look at both games, they use slightly different mechanics for the same results.

Red Alert vs Starcraft, both of the same genre, and I'm sure that most would not get to a conclusion because in the end, if you think about it, it's still a matter of preference.

If I'll want to actually engage in this debate seriously, I'll see to it later, for now I'll leave some ambiguous statements here.

Autocrat said:
Mar 3, 2015 6:23 PM

Sep 2012
I just assume the same thing about every server that isn't Korean/NA cause it's fun to piss people off like that. 8)
Mar 3, 2015 6:25 PM

Apr 2012
That's a pretty bad generalization, I don't remember Korea being that great in LoL or MOBAs in general.

But hey, S4 might have been something else? Who knows, but I do remember Russia destroying everyone in S3.

Autocrat said:
Mar 3, 2015 6:27 PM

Apr 2014
so in other words, you can't provide a counter to any of the mechanics and examples I listed that prove my points, and you're going to boil it down to "I know what I am talking about". That's like writing a thesis with no sources.

Playing on personal merits, I played League when it was in beta, and for a year and half afterwards. At the same time, still playing the original Dota in WC3. But personal merits don't contradict facts. A scientist that thinks the earth is flat can sell millions of books and be successful. It doesn't make him correct.

You can play the bias card. League is still a great game. League gives a more bite sized meal to the player. Games that are long enough to feel rewarding, but short enough to not feel boring. League gives a simpler approach to the Dota-like game. And Riot does a great job promoting this aspect to players. But please, don't make it pretentious and blow it up to something more then it is. Elitism has nothing to do with it.

I don't even play Dota or League anymore. Maybe a game or two every month for Dota. I've actually been playing Heroes of the Storm and enjoying it. But I am not going to try and profess it's somehow more skillful in an area simply because I enjoy the game.

Putting things you like on pedestals, makes it so you cannot face the flaws.
Mar 3, 2015 6:35 PM

Sep 2012
quit it cause I told you im not continuing this. If you haven't listened to what I've already said then there's no point in bothering.

Immahnoob said:
That's a pretty bad generalization, I don't remember Korea being that great in LoL or MOBAs in general.

But hey, S4 might have been something else? Who knows, but I do remember Russia destroying everyone in S3.
All I know is that Koreans are the e-sports kings and koreans are the only ones that like ever win the world champs anymore.

dam koreans takin all the glory
Mar 3, 2015 6:36 PM
May 2012
Dota 2 is better though the community can be frustrating. One mistake often will make someone rage at you even if you're carrying the team.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Is 8 gb vram enough these days?

Cnon - Mar 5

20 by loligoth666 »»
1 hour ago

» Stellar Blade Preview: Sekiro Meets NieR: Automata?

deg - Feb 1

26 by loligoth666 »»
2 hours ago

» Add "you little bitch" to a video game quote. ( 1 2 3 )

Kajiuran - Oct 20, 2023

140 by loligoth666 »»
2 hours ago

» Do you guys enjoy fighting games?

Dumb - Feb 11

49 by loligoth666 »»
4 hours ago

» What are you playing right now? (v2) ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

anime-prime - Oct 4, 2020

3508 by loligoth666 »»
4 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.