Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums

Plot holes/asspulls and/or misconceptions thread *Spoilers till the latest Episode*

New
Mar 3, 2015 7:24 AM

Dec 2012
So, since I like this type of discussion, being less opinion based an all, and has a higher chance of civil discourse, I thought I would make a general thread regarding it. I realize that it's unlikely it will get many replies, since the anime subforum is not as active as it used to be in 2014 but I felt like getting some plot hole misconceptions off my chest.

So let's get to it. But first, the definition of the word:

A plot hole, or plothole is a gap or inconsistency in a storyline that creates a paradox in the story that cannot be reconciled with any explanation. These include such things as illogical or impossible events, and statements or events that contradict earlier events in the storyline. Plot holes have been defined as "...contradictions in a screenplay...[which] can both be mentioned on paper or implied by the premise and universe of the screenplay

[size=120][b][i]Sasuke Great Snake Escape[/size][/b][/i]:

Refutation:

[size=120][b]Kakashi should be blind, due to using MS multiple times[/size][/b]

Refutation

[size=120][b]General confusion about Orochimaru and The four Hokage Edo Tensi[/size][/b]

[size=120]Rinne Tensei[/size]

[size=120]Why is Madara reanimated to his prime/Young age when he died old[/size]

[size=120]How did Madara use Susanoo, when his eyes are Rinnegan[/size]

[size=120]Fate of the Tailed Beast after the host dies[/size]

Well, that's the most common ones from what I remember. You can check this thread if you are a manga reader

So list the plot holes you think the series has. You can list asspulls as well:

An Ass Pull is a moment when the writers pull something out of thin air in a less-than-graceful narrative development, violating the Law of Conservation of Detail by dropping a plot-critical detail in the middle, or near the end of their narrative without Foreshadowing

So hopefully this will be a civil thread, tho it will probably be inactive anyway >.>
no regret :o
tsudecimoApr 1, 2015 10:48 AM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Mar 3, 2015 7:53 AM

Nov 2010
Only Shippuden or including Naruto too?
Mar 3, 2015 8:03 AM
Oct 2013
IntroverTurtle said:

It´s a Naruto thread and Manga wise there is no splitting between the timelines so it should be fine to discuss both.

It would be nice if you could explain the graduation exam confusion.
Mar 3, 2015 8:05 AM

Sep 2011
Honestly I don't remember every little detail but what your wrote sounds about right.

The only thing I can think of is that for the first one about Sasuke summoning Manda. Did Kishi ever tell us how much chakra summoning required? Also, correct me if I'm wrong here. Sasuke was pretty good at creating summoning jutsu's for just about everything. I remember him using a summoning jutsu to release a bunch of ninja stars during his fight with Itachi. My point being that maybe he didn't need to use his chakra and just had some delayed/stored chakra that was inscribed on his person at some point.

Anyway, I think there are bigger issues in terms of plot holes with their fight against
then anything else in the series.
Mar 3, 2015 8:08 AM

Dec 2012
IntroverTurtle said:

All. Till the latest episode, except fillers.

I don't care for the Naruto repeat thing, but it will be posted anyway
Mar 3, 2015 8:08 AM
Oct 2013
Fullmetal89 said:
Honestly I don't remember every little detail but what your wrote sounds about right.

The only thing I can think of is that for the first one about Sasuke summoning Manda. Did Kishi ever tell us how much chakra summoning required? Also, correct me if I'm wrong here. Sasuke was pretty good at creating summoning jutsu's for just about everything. I remember him using a summoning jutsu to release a bunch of ninja stars during his fight with Itachi. My point being that maybe he didn't need to use his chakra and just had some delayed/stored chakra that was inscribed on his person at some point.

Anyway, I think there are bigger issues in terms of plot holes with their fight against
then anything else in the series.

No it was never specified how draining any jutsu in Naruto is compared to the maximum chakra level besides Kakashis Chidori.
Mar 3, 2015 8:15 AM
Oct 2013
tsudecimo said:
IntroverTurtle said:

Well for me it´s pretty easy to understand.

He failed the graduation 2 times, I think Shikamaru mentions that they´ve already had to do trials before they took the final test.

It´s pretty common to take such trials in any kind of school/university before finals in order to check the level of the students and their capability of graduating.

He may also have tried to take the test on the same day 2 times in succesion which he both failed at. Which also would explain Irukas quote and fit Narutos stubborn nature.

Option 1:

He may have taken the test failed to create a Bunshin, Iruka told him that he didn´t pass
so he complained till he could try again and failed again. By the end of the day everyone had passed and was capable of creating Bunshin while he was incapable after failing both times off screen.

Option 2:

Iruka refered to the first time he failed which was shown on screen where he trolls Iruka with his sexy jutsu and the second time the off screen test that was taken right before the swing set scene where everyone else is graduating.
IsterioMar 3, 2015 8:22 AM
Mar 3, 2015 8:17 AM

Mar 2012
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1199103&show=160

Many (but not even close to all) were posted here.

Examples of yet-to-be-refuted ones:

1) The Jinchuuriki seal being at its weakest during childbirth yet they insist on choosing a female Jinchuuriki.

2) Sage mode requiring perfect balance of natural energy. Perfect. 100%.
So "imperfect" mode makes no sense other than trying to show how cooler Naruto is.

3) All the dire situations Jiraiya was put in, never attempted to use sage mode once, until the writer decided to pull the mode out his ass.
Sannin Battle, Itachi's return. Never.

4) Naruto's age at the beginning of the Genin exam.

5) Few episodes ago, Kyuubi threw Kakashi into the Kamui dimension, rendering intangibility of Obito completely pointless, yet he decided to get out anyway.

6) if naruto had to repeat 2 years in the ninja academy, why is he the same age as the others in his class?

7) Sasuke few episodes ago: I want to imrpove our image in Konoha
Now: I don't care what you guys think.
Read more at http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1250009&show=120#9EVVVU3J42FkrCof.99

8) episode 373, Not trying to seal poudy madara because who knows why. (Although not trying to undo him completely through Kabuto makes me thing they like him being there)

9) Minato's kyuubi, I forgot they split him, but now that I think about it, if it was Yin-Yang, light and dark, male and female, positive and negative, good and evil, wasn't naruto trying to combine Yin and Yang in the confining arc? Did kishi decide, "I need a new powerup for naruto, so I'll expand the Yin into a completely new Kurama"?
The whole idea seems fishy to me. Since when can they split stuff into Yin and Yang? How did Yin Kurama not awaken if he was sealed within dead minato? If people can split and seal like that, why not just apply seals of all beasts into dead people and be done with it?
That sounds more stupid than choosing female Jinchuurikis.

10) - Tsunade surviving being cut in half.

11) So... Madara used Mangekyou, lost his eyes and he took Izuna's eyes...
First, was that use mangekyou the same that saved him from Hashirama?
And second, it was revealed that Izuna had died long any of this happened. How did Madara have the knowledge of mangekyou and its cost on the eyes? Assuming he kept the eyes safe till he had use of it like Danzo.

12) New one: Rin's Bijuu doesn't awaken after she dies
End Zionazism
Mar 3, 2015 8:18 AM

Dec 2012
The thing is, when it comes to chakra, your guess is as good as any reader, unless something states otherwise.

Also, death by exhaustion from chakra, can only happen to characters like Kakashi, which have very average chakra level, Kakashi himself stated when he was training Naruto with Yamato, that he doesn't have a lot of chakra like Naruto. Even part 1 Naruto and Sasuke have had higher chakra levels than Kakashi, since they are above average.

Summoning jutsu while requiring a good amount of chakra, it's still possible, for someone with a certain amount of chakra to do it, especially someone as talented as Sasuke.

It's not a video game, there is no chakra bar to tell, so using it as basis for a plot hole, is flimsy.

@Isterio
I messaged you something, read it please.
Mar 3, 2015 8:32 AM

Nov 2010
When Naruto was learning to be a sage it was said that if someone can't control natural energy that they would turn into a frog statue and it was shown in the Pain fight that one did turn into a frog statue after absorbing it. But does that mean a snake sage would turn into a frog if they weren't able to utilize natural energy? And what about Jugo? Apparently he used natural energy. Then was the cursed seal power natural energy so would Sasuke have turned into a frog statue or a statue if he wasn't able to control it?(which he wasn't and it just showed him raging, not turning into a frog) And if it wasn't natural energy(aka the curse seal) that Sasuke had learned to master over the timeskip, why was he able to use natural energy or sage chakra or whatever to fight Obito when they realized he could only be hurt by it?
Mar 3, 2015 8:34 AM
Oct 2013
tsudecimo said:
The thing is, when it comes to chakra, your guess is as good as any reader, unless something states otherwise.

Also, death by exhaustion from chakra, can only happen to characters like Kakashi, which have very average chakra level, Kakashi himself stated when he was training Naruto with Yamato, that he doesn't have a lot of chakra like Naruto. Even part 1 Naruto and Sasuke have had higher chakra levels than Kakashi, since they are above average.

Summoning jutsu while requiring a good amount of chakra, it's still possible, for someone with a certain amount of chakra to do it, especially someone as talented as Sasuke.

It's not a video game, there is no chakra bar to tell, so using it as basis for a plot hole, is flimsy.

@Isterio
I messaged you something, read it please.

Pre timeskip Sasuke didn´t have any feats justifying a higher chakra level than Kakashi.

Though it was often mentioned that Narutos chakra level was exceptional and higher already.

Regarding post timeskip Sasuke that´s a whole different story, considering also his expertise in chakra usage it can be assumed that he improved his ability to utilize it by the various ways he was capable of using Chidori.

Therefore making it pretty cheap for him to use any form of Jutsu while his chakrapool must have increased tremendously compared to part one through the training he went through and the alterations Orochimaru did to his body.

Post timeskip Naruto was mentioned to have 3 times the chakra value of post timeskip Kakashi in his regular state without Kyubi involvement.
IsterioMar 3, 2015 8:38 AM
Mar 3, 2015 8:44 AM
Oct 2013
IntroverTurtle said:
When Naruto was learning to be a sage it was said that if someone can't control natural energy that they would turn into a frog statue and it was shown in the Pain fight that one did turn into a frog statue after absorbing it. But does that mean a snake sage would turn into a frog if they weren't able to utilize natural energy? And what about Jugo? Apparently he used natural energy. Then was the cursed seal power natural energy so would Sasuke have turned into a frog statue or a statue if he wasn't able to control it?(which he wasn't and it just showed him raging, not turning into a frog) And if it wasn't natural energy(aka the curse seal) that Sasuke had learned to master over the timeskip, why was he able to use natural energy or sage chakra or whatever to fight Obito when they realized he could only be hurt by it?

Only because 2 abilitys use the same energy source it´s not inevitably neccecary that they also have the same function.

Kabuto was capable of utilizing sage chakra to do completely different things compared to what Jiraya or Naruto did, therefore it´s safe to say that the "frog sage mode" and the "snake sage mode" differ to a certain degree.

No one can say to which degree for certain the only thing we can say is that they differ,

Also the common drawback when it came to utilize sage mode chakra with the "snake concept" seemed to be madness and bloodlust.

This is just an assumption, but it can be, that sage chakra utilized with the frog senjutsu turns people into stone when used wrong.

While when the snake senjutsu method is used poorly it leads to insanity and bloodlust instead.
IsterioMar 3, 2015 8:47 AM
Mar 3, 2015 9:05 AM

Dec 2012
IntroverTurtle said:

I think it's quite clearly not a literal rule to turn into a frog statue, it's directly relevant to frogs Sage mode. That Pain turned into a frog, because the natural energy was collected from Naruto. Since in the whole series, only two inhabitants of the summoning animals (I don't think the slugs count, since Harishama is an exception in having the wood sage mode), can do this, it's a logical assumption that he would turn into a snake statue or not at all, since judging from Kabuto the two sage modes seem to differ. The natural energy mixed with one's own chakra lead to the appearance change, in Naruto and Jiraiya, they resemble frogs, in eyes, and Jiraiya more so than Naruto. While Kabuto and Orochimaru resembled Snakes.

Jugo is a special case. His clan posses that special ability, to naturally absorb that energy, so they can change their shapes, which is shown, when Jugo enters that heightened mode against the Raikage. But since he wasn't able to control it well, it leads to him going berserk. And wow, I literally just realized something while typing this, Jugo, being friendly with animals, is prove of his ability to gather natural energy, if you remember during Naruto's training, when he is in a complete state of calm, and when he has Natural energy on his body, birds approach him. It's shown with his sage clones:
https://i.imgur.com/Ey08POT.jpg

Since Natural energy is collected from the atmosphere, and every living being has it IIRC Kyuubi said something like that.

There is also another foreshadowing about Jugo's sage abilities during Kabuto vs Brothers:
https://i.imgur.com/vmaNEc2.jpg

The cursed seal was Natural energy, due to Orochimaru combining his Senjutsu chakra into the mutative enzymes he isolated from Jūgo's blood. This is also another reason why Orochimaru wanted a great host body like Sasuke's to be able to properly use Sage mode. White it has natural energy, I don't think it has enough without Jugo's infusing Sasuke's body, and it wouldn't turn into any kind of statue in the first place, the imperfect balance to Jugo, means losing control, unlike the Frog statue with Naruto.

That's because Jugo infused his own chakra and Natural energy into Sasuke from what I remember, he was behind him, I remember the scene explaining it well.
tsudecimoMar 3, 2015 9:09 AM
Mar 3, 2015 11:12 AM

Nov 2010
I do want to clarify that anything that I do post I'm not completely claiming they are without a doubt plot holes.

Somebody had some long one about the timeline with Orochimaru being in the village and Akatsuki and meeting Itachi. Anyone have that?

I thought it was a literal rule that you turn into a frog statue if you aren't able to use natural chakra, that's what was told to us(nothing about other sages or uses). How is frog sage mode different than any other sage mode? All he did was absorb the natural chakra which is said to be in the air and then mold it with his own chakra, does he only absorb the frog natural chakra from the air or world or whatever? If there are different sage modes(which it wasn't even established how he did a frog one) wouldn't the change be in the body while he's molding it? And yes after a rewatch I see that the pain absorbed the chakra from Naruto so one part of my post was addressed.

To absorb natural energy while moving and not turn into any animal or stone. Quite convenient. And yes that is interesting.

I think it had enough natural energy to be able to turn him into stone, he got a power boost large enough to fight Naruto with his kyuubi cloak. And it was already established that losing control with natural energy means you turn into stone, you shouldn't just be able to go out of control instead. And this is why I don't like plot hole discussions, so many little half explanations that people can use, it's too hard to prove a plot hole unless the facts were confirmed in the story like with Naruto failing multiple times.

I don't remember the scene explaining it well.

I can already tell I probably won't be posting in this thread again. Long posts incoming.
IntroverTurtleMar 3, 2015 11:19 AM
Mar 3, 2015 12:47 PM

Dec 2012
Spoiler due to length. I didn't reply to certain points, either because I thought they were dumb, and I didn't care for them, or because they required more time to answer (i.e Kakashi's age issue)

I thought it was a literal rule that you turn into a frog statue if you aren't able to use natural chakra, that's what was told to us(nothing about other sages or uses). How is frog sage mode different than any other sage mode? All he did was absorb the natural chakra which is said to be in the air and then mold it with his own chakra, does he only absorb the frog natural chakra from the air or world or whatever? If there are different sage modes(which it wasn't even established how he did a frog one) wouldn't the change be in the body while he's molding it?

First of all, Kabuto is an example of another sage mode, the snake/dragon one. Secondly, since it's changes their appearence intor frogs/snakes it goes without saying, why a frog statue happens only for frog sage mode, it's most likely relevant to the contract, Naruto wouldn't have been able to use sage mode without being in contract with the frogs, it's their teachings, and tech.

I think it had enough natural energy to be able to turn him into stone, he got a power boost large enough to fight Naruto with his kyuubi cloak. And it was already established that losing control with natural energy means you turn into stone, you shouldn't just be able to go out of control instead. And this is why I don't like plot hole discussions, so many little half explanations that people can use, it's too hard to prove a plot hole unless the facts were confirmed in the story like with Naruto failing multiple times.

can already tell I probably won't be posting in this thread again. Long posts incoming.
[/quote]
Like I said..Jugo's state of impalance is different, so he wouldn't turn into a snake or a frog or a stone or w/e.

Tsk. It was already stated how the state of impalance in Jugo appears like, in which he loses control. He is inherently different than a normal sage mode as it's a special ability to his clan, and not normal sage mode, I don't understand how is that even remotely hard to gasp. You keep sticking to the stone thing, even though it's a different context. Absorbing Natural energy from a Sage mode differs, from Jugo's, differs to the Juubi..

Well this just leaves a bad taste on my mouth, replying to all of this, when some of them weren't even yours, and some are quite clearly obvious and easy to search for.

Yeah better not post again, when I said plot hole discussion, I mean stuff, that can be easily proven right or wrong, by clear contradictions or impossible events, not stuff like why x happened. This is the second time, where I replied to all of your 'notes' Do you multitask while re-watching? because I can't think of a reason, why some of these flew over your head.

Oh well.
Mar 3, 2015 1:34 PM
Oct 2013
tsudecimo said:
Spoiler due to length. I didn't reply to certain points, either because I thought they were dumb, and I didn't care for them, or because they required more time to answer (i.e Kakashi's age issue)

Most of the claims are severely self explanatory

I don´t get why you even bothered to answer the Shikamaru doton thing during the war arc.

IntroverTurtle said:

Naruto was very interested in women at the beginning, looking at porn magazines and sneaking into the onsen yet when Jiraiya came he all of a sudden went all Goku not getting an obvious metaphor(?) about a woman's body and thinking he's weird for liking women and sneaking into the onsen so much.

Regarding Narutos perversion, the kid was actually a prankster, which he himself quite often mentions.

He finds it weird and stupid that Hiruzen and Ebisu fall for something stupid as the sexy no jutsu.

None of this happened in the manga they are Anime alterations for the sake of comic relief.

Narutos first time trying to peek was after the timeskip where Sai and him talk about dicks.

Ironically he´s way less of a pervert than the Anime makes him look like but more of a jokster.
It´s pretty well elaborated when Jiraya gives him some of his own money to use on a festival where he claims, Jiraya: After all he´s still just a kid.

Another offender that matter was the first episode.

IsterioMar 3, 2015 1:55 PM
Mar 4, 2015 3:15 AM

Dec 2012
Opening post updated a little.

I'm trying to think of famous misconceptions, but they are generally in the manga.
Mar 4, 2015 3:21 AM
Oct 2013
tsudecimo said:
Opening post updated a little.

I'm trying to think of famous misconceptions, but they are generally in the manga.

You´ve mentioned 2 minor plotholes and i asked you on multiple occasion which those 2 were you never answered.

Please answer that quesion cause I really don´t know which ones I´ve missed.
IsterioMar 4, 2015 3:25 AM
Mar 4, 2015 6:19 AM

Dec 2012
Already told you before, that I don't want to share them. One of them is more known, being that there is a timeline inconsistency with Itachi/Orochimaru. I haven't looked into that one anyway, but the other one I did, and at the time, I came to the conclusion that it'e a legit recton.
Mar 4, 2015 6:52 AM
Oct 2013
tsudecimo said:
Already told you before, that I don't want to share them. One of them is more known, being that there is a timeline inconsistency with Itachi/Orochimaru. I haven't looked into that one anyway, but the other one I did, and at the time, I came to the conclusion that it'e a legit recton.

The timeline mistake is a pretty common one, among many authors who work on a long running story.

It has been made in Dragon Ball with the Cell tournament and it has been made in Warcraft.

It usually happens when an author tries to combine 2 timelines of 2 characters who don´t meet each other frequently for one common event like in Naruto and it´s a pretty minor detail that requires a shitload of attention to get noticed.
IsterioMar 5, 2015 5:14 AM
Mar 4, 2015 7:47 AM

Dec 2012
Yeah, it doesn't matter. But for some reason, it along with the Naruto repeat thing, and Kakashi age, people seem to care a lot about them, even though they barely affect the story.
Mar 4, 2015 7:55 AM
Oct 2013
tsudecimo said:
Yeah, it doesn't matter. But for some reason, it along with the Naruto repeat thing, and Kakashi age, people seem to care a lot about them, even though they barely affect the story.

The Naruto repeat thing doesn´t contradict anything the story has told.

Failing the exams twice ≠ repeating class.
Mar 4, 2015 8:02 AM

Jan 2013
I apologize if this had been involved in any post in here, goddamn it they are some huge wallies, too lazy to read through them.

http://z.mfcdn.net/store/manga/8/63-602.0/compressed/t007.jpg

Right middle panel. Madara says Obito slipped through the rocks, or rather "almost as if you slipped", is the MS translation but MP translates it merely as "you slipped". So both of these would lead me to believe Obito used Kamui, unconsciously (?), to slip through the rocks?
Mar 4, 2015 8:07 AM

Dec 2012
-Klad- said:
I apologize if this had been involved in any post in here, goddamn it they are some huge wallies, too lazy to read through them.

http://z.mfcdn.net/store/manga/8/63-602.0/compressed/t007.jpg

Right middle panel. Madara says Obito slipped through the rocks, or rather "almost as if you slipped", is the MS translation but MP translates it merely as "you slipped". So both of these would lead me to believe Obito used Kamui, unconsciously (?), to slip through the rocks?

No, he just survived through the rocks, and ended up in one of Madara's tunnel. It's pure chance and luck, that he survived and ended up with Madara.

Nothing in the series, hints, that a mangekyo ability can happen, before it awakens.
Mar 4, 2015 11:48 AM
Feb 2015
What happened with Bee around the end of this series? I remember tailed beast getting sucked out from him and Naruto but all the people only seemed to care about Naruto. Shouldn't Bee have died? Please explain this. My memory with the last 100 chapters of naruto is vague(since I got really bored of it and wasn't enjoying) so I'd really appreciate if you point out what I missed.
Mar 5, 2015 7:27 AM

Dec 2012
Opening post updated.
Mar 6, 2015 5:06 AM

Jun 2014
The problem with the Great Snake Escape is the speed with which Sasuke was capable of perfoming it though. It is not a plot hole for the reasons you mentioned but you didn't explain how it was not a DEM. In one panel, we saw the explosion had already begun with Sasuke still on the ground but in the next he had summoned the manda which means he carried out the handsigns with a speed we were never shown him (or any other ninja of his level) to be capable of.

Btw, I think you should also add the definitions of Asspull (and DEM) in you opening post since this thread isn't limited to plot holes.
Mar 6, 2015 5:20 AM

Dec 2012
Agafin said:
The problem with the Great Snake Escape is the speed with which Sasuke was capable of perfoming it though. It is not a plot hole for the reasons you mentioned but you didn't explain how it was not a DEM. In one panel, we saw the explosion had already begun with Sasuke still on the ground but in the next he had summoned the manda which means he carried out the handsigns with a speed we were never shown him (or any other ninja of his level) to be capable of.

Btw, I think you should also add the definitions of Asspull (and DEM) in you opening post since this thread isn't limited to plot holes.

I did prove why it wasn't an asspull as well, and since it's not an asspull, it can't be a DEM.

He also referenced Manda as being another possible trick here:
https://i.imgur.com/kYwkYWq.jpg

Which fits very well, with the fact, that Sugitesu already had a Snake scroll and said ''he really did it''. Which means Manda was an option from the get go.

Ergo this was neither a plot hole, nor an asspull.

In regards to the speed. Actually, it's proven that you can make seals this fast in the same fight.
https://i.imgur.com/bcGWdyM.jpg

As you can see, Deidara was adding the Earth hand seal all this time, fast enough that and only a sharingan user can notice it, Sasuke being that close to Deidara was all played for suspense, and to trick the audience that Sasuke actually died, especially when Karin tries to sense him, but couldn't.

I did add the definition of asspull. Didn't add DEM, because I didn't think it was necessary, since it's just a more specific type of asspull.
tsudecimoMar 6, 2015 5:24 AM
Mar 6, 2015 5:31 AM
Oct 2013
tsudecimo said:

I did add the definition of asspull. Didn't add DEM, because I didn't think it was necessary, since it's just a more specific type of asspull.

I thought asspull was just a more assholish way of saying Deus Ex machina, aka a badly used Deus ex machina.

But that again is subjective.
IsterioMar 6, 2015 5:35 AM
Mar 6, 2015 5:35 AM

Dec 2012
Isterio said:

I thought asspull was just a more assholish way of saying Deus Ex machina, aka a badly used Deus ex machina.

Not exactly. All DEM are asspulls but not all asspulls are DEM.

DEM is more specific, it's used when it concerns the protagonist of the story being cornered, and a plot device without foreshadowing (an asspull) changes it to a happy outcome for him, or changing it into his favor.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deus_ex_machina
Mar 6, 2015 5:41 AM
Oct 2013
tsudecimo said:
Isterio said:

Not exactly. All DEM are asspulls but not all asspulls are DEM.

DEM is more specific, it's used when it concerns the protagonist of the story being cornered, and a plot device without foreshadowing (an asspull) changes it to a happy outcome for him, or changing it into his favor.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deus_ex_machina

But what qualifies an asspull in the first place?

What level of foreshadowing is neccecary to justify the new ability/trait?

In essence, is the only difference that differs an asspull from good writing, the fact that a character has mentioned 500 chapters ago that he has "something" up his sleeve which he hasn´t shown the audience yet, before he reveals his new secret move, as opposed to just using it?
Mar 8, 2015 1:50 AM

Dec 2012
Well that part from the definition is subjective, as it depends on each person, on how much foreshadowing/planning is needed.

I think that asspulls, are 'bad writing' only when they exist for the sake of one situation and nothing else, like they don't serve any purpose.

Rinne Tensi for example, might not have had the best foreshadowing, but in the end, it has a purpose beyond the first situation it's used in, with Madara and Tobi later on (even it's seals were relevant later on), so I don't consider it, 'bad writing' even if it's foreshadowing wasn't sufficient.
Mar 11, 2015 8:09 AM

Jun 2014
tsudecimo said:
You can't really use a feat used during the same fight as a proof that Sasuke can be that fast though. I don't really think what Deidara did is in the same order of magnitude as Sasuke but even if I were to, then that would be just be late/bad foreshadowing. Well, I'll settle with there being insufficient foreshadowing.

Next: Izanagi. I don't recall it being foreshadowed and it was very convenient for Itachi at that moment.
Mar 24, 2015 8:03 AM

Dec 2012
This is not something that is 'foreshadowed'. It's not a special ability, it's something established with Hand Seals in the series. Component and high skilled ninja can also shorten the number of seals required (i.e a certain water jutsu requires 44 seals, but the second Hokage can do it with one or two hand seals).

But fine, here is an example of it happening earlier on.

That's like 6 seals per half or more. Summoning jutsu usually requires 8 or 6 IIRC.

Thing about Izangi and Izanami is that they are the same as Ametarsu, and Susanoo. They are all deeply rooted with the Japanese mythology motif the series has.

Some fans explaining the meanings:

And also, since you probably mean Izanami with Itachi against Kubto. Itachi is a mysterious character, who is known to be extremely high skilled with a lot of great doujutsu, we didn't follow him through his life, so him showing a jutsu is not that surprising, and can't really be an asspull, sure if a character like Naruto, Sauske did that, it's a real asspull because the story focuses on them, and then there is no room for them to have a jutsu and it stays hidden from the viewer/reader.
Mar 25, 2015 9:29 AM

Dec 2012
Opening post updated, also wondering if someone has something to add.
Mar 25, 2015 9:40 AM
Oct 2013
tsudecimo said:
Opening post updated, also wondering if someone has something to add.

The issue with this thread is the people who love the series won´t complain.

And the most people who accuse the series of it´s flaws are haters who don´t even nitpick but make up stuff.

X used a new jutsu asspull.

Character survives through some ability that was only hinted and not explicitly explained by the character using it like in Bleach "plothole".

Seriously doesn´t it bother anyone that Bleach characters do this instead of just charging towards the enemie and let the narrative explain this?
Mar 25, 2015 9:54 AM

Jan 2014
^Interesting. Guess we can conclude now that Naruto is your favourite series. At least that's cleared up.

OT: In line with what Agafin said, the anime definitely portrays the whole Manda fiasco as an asspull (just like another manga/anime difference in another anime). Just gave it another cursory watch on Youtube.
RedRoseFringMar 25, 2015 10:05 AM
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Mar 25, 2015 10:16 AM

Jan 2014
I have one that could use clearing up.

To perform the edo tensei to bring back the Hokage, Orochimaru used white Zetsu clones, but how can clones be used to substitute for actual humans? Do each individual Zetsu count as a human? Not to mention that is technically creating life.
RedRoseFringMar 25, 2015 1:14 PM
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Mar 29, 2015 1:32 PM

Nov 2010
tsudecimo said:
Or you didn't know how to answer them so you stick with the few you did while saying "why didn't you get all of these" to try and make it seem like all of them were obvious because why can't someone remember everything from a 500+ episode series.

tsudecimo said:
Yeah better not post again
Too late, RRF made me interested about this thread. Glad to know you're still grasping at any straw you can see and have a sharp tounge though.
IntroverTurtleMar 29, 2015 1:35 PM
Apr 4, 2015 11:03 AM

Jan 2014
RedRoseFring said:

To perform the edo tensei to bring back the Hokage, Orochimaru used white Zetsu clones, but how can clones be used to substitute for actual humans? Do each individual Zetsu count as a human? Not to mention that is technically creating life.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Apr 6, 2015 8:19 PM
Oct 2013
Yo I´ve noticed some plotholes that are Anime only.

Created through Dialogues who imply certain things that are wrong,within filler material (within canon episodes).

Episode 2 shows Naruto reading porn and trying to spy on the Onsen, while later he´s confused when he is confronted by Jirayas perversion.

In Episode 132 Sasuke claims that he can distinguish between shadow clones and the real Naruto.

Which isn´t true either to the manga considering how often Sharingan and Byakugan were fooled by clones and he also never states that in the manga.
IsterioApr 6, 2015 8:26 PM
Apr 6, 2015 10:58 PM

Dec 2012
I think Sasuke meant that he is familiar with Naruto enough that he can distinguish him. Therw also the line he said to him about what happens when two strong opponents fight, something about their fist, I forgot the actual phrase.
Apr 7, 2015 10:39 AM
Oct 2013
tsudecimo said:
I think Sasuke meant that he is familiar with Naruto enough that he can distinguish him. Therw also the line he said to him about what happens when two strong opponents fight, something about their fist, I forgot the actual phrase.

This could also be explained with Sasuke just being arrogant, the same way how Deidara was arrogant in thinking he could distinguish Genjutsu of Itachis level.

Genjutsu is a pretty vague concept anyway, because of it´s concept it´s counters aren´t clarified since quality plays a huge role in dispelling it.

Itachis Tsukunoyomi was never succesfully dspelled by an affected person and he arguably let Sasuke free by himself.
Apr 13, 2015 6:38 AM

Dec 2012
In filler plot holes, I think in Chikara filler arc, Kabuto Edo Tensi Hidan, which contradicts the rules of Edo Tensi.
Apr 13, 2015 7:59 AM
Oct 2013
tsudecimo said:
In filler plot holes, I think in Chikara filler arc, Kabuto Edo Tensi Hidan, which contradicts the rules of Edo Tensi.

If we go for Filler plotholes you can include all movies besides "The Last" and even in that one they made a small mistake, it´s for comic relief though and I think the director just fucked that timeline detail up.

The existance of Reibi in the second Shippuden Movie+the 8 Gates being openened through some cheating device without activating the actual effects of the Gates but some other bullshit.

Gaara being the first to attack the Hidden leaf in the Stone of Gelel Movie although being allied with the Hidden leaf.

Extreme timeline fuckup in Road to Ninja just for the sake of a cool "Akatsuki pose shot"which could have been made a canon Movie if Kishi was just more involved besides designing Sakuras parents.

The whole premise of the 3rd Shippuden Movie making Konoha behave out of character, limiting Kakashis powerlevel, expanding on Tsunades ability.
Inventing a filler character that was some hidden member of the Sannin. which would doesn´t fit Konohas 3 man squad policy and would make them into Yonnin anyway.
Bullshit introduction of Chimeras who shouldn´t exist in the Narutoverse at least not without any explanation.
Bloodline limits out of the directors ass that make no sense judging from a bloodline limits nature.
A character capable of stealing bloodline limits which was explained to be impossible except for certain exceptions like eye transplants.

Certain Jutsus from filler ninja who resemble carbon copy abilities of bloodline limits but are "kinda fake" because the ability does basicly the same just 10x weaker.
One of the biggest offenders beig Raiga from the filler arc which spoiled the design for the dual weild blades as well as their lightning ability

Naruto killing countless people in filler although in the actual story it was always avoided by whatever reason.
Technically he killed Kakuzu since he was gonna die anyway.

The Filler are so full of shit and contradict the rules and characteristiscs of the cast whenever they get the chance. No point in even mentioning them.
No one should care about them since only a really slim amount expands on character development and that´s fillers who are flashbacks of secondary characters or pre timeskip filler.

If you dig deep and reread the manga it doesn´t have any plotholes to begin with besides maybe some timeline fuckups. Because Naruto never uses cartoony comic relief as an ability source like One Piece or Fairy tail.

Most "Retcons" are situations where a character claimed something to be true without knowing or pointing out the actual truth.
Mangekyō Sharingan is a mayor example of Retcon accusement till it got explained that Itachi simply lied.
IsterioApr 13, 2015 8:16 AM
Jun 23, 2015 11:57 AM

Jan 2014
RedRoseFring said:
RedRoseFring said:

"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Sep 22, 2016 11:18 PM

Feb 2015
tsudecimo said:
IntroverTurtle said:

Is the movie "Naruto The Last" also included?
If yes, then I want to know "How The F." Naruto uses (imperfect) Kage Bunshin to try to save Hinata from the bullies when they were young ??? He only learns it years later, from the stolen scroll....
Sep 23, 2016 3:10 AM
Oct 2013
Riqueplast said:

Is the movie "Naruto The Last" also included?
If yes, then I want to know "How The F." Naruto uses (imperfect) Kage Bunshin to try to save Hinata from the bullies when they were young ??? He only learns it years later, from the stolen scroll....

Yes it is canon but not written by Kishimoto the early part specifically was a major fuckup by Pierrot.
Sep 26, 2016 7:59 AM

Jan 2015
I might've found one. When tobi explained to sasuke about itachi, uchiha etc. it was shown that he was going blind by overusing the mangakyo, and then he took his brothers eye out, while later in the war arc they showed that madaras brother was cut and he gave his eye to him.
In the first part madara was on the bed while his brother next to him, later his brother was on the bed and he was next. Is this a mistake or?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Naruto: Shippuuden Episode 346 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jan 23, 2014

58 by Lukas_AAW »»
3 hours ago

Poll: » Naruto: Shippuuden Episode 343 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Griffith - Dec 19, 2013

152 by Lukas_AAW »»
Yesterday, 12:44 PM

Poll: » Naruto: Shippuuden Episode 500 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 23, 2017

435 by Mabexix »»
Yesterday, 7:45 AM

Poll: » Naruto: Shippuuden Episode 339 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

loveyuri - Nov 21, 2013

162 by Lukas_AAW »»
Apr 21, 11:24 AM

Poll: » Naruto: Shippuuden Episode 485 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 8, 2016

50 by Vysarine »»
Apr 20, 11:31 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.