Forum Settings
Forums

Why are there so many complaints about fanservice when there's just as much manservice too?

New
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Feb 27, 2015 12:41 PM
Feb 2014
Nihilfist said:
VitaminCaim said:
I appreciate Free! but it's a grim reminder of the sexism against males in the anime industry

Please tell me this is sarcasm.

Welcome to the wonderful world of irony! Please enjoy your stay.

We need Immahnoob on this thread to counter your points :)
Feb 27, 2015 12:59 PM

Jan 2013
Nihilfist said:
Oh boy, where to start.

1. No, there isn't just as much "manservice" out there as there is regular fanservice.

2. One dude without a shirt does not manservice make. Do you seriously think something like this would make a girl wet?

It might get like 3 or 4 women in the world hot, but the vast majority of women do not find that shit attractive. It's solely for comedic value.

3. The primary reason why people complain about fanservice isn't "b-but muh sexual objectification!" It's just that fanservice panders the lowest common demonimator, plus it can detract from a good scene and ruin immersion. There might be a few feminist twats complaining about how fanservice is patriarchal or whatever, but those people are the minority.
These are all generalizations from your perspective. I refute by saying that I'm sure Major Armstrong is a pussy magnet.
Feb 27, 2015 1:04 PM

Dec 2012
Killaclown said:
because fanservice is sexist but manservice isn't....... or so that's what ppl seem to believe for some reason, so must be true right?

^
Feb 27, 2015 1:09 PM

Jul 2014
i dont care. i enjoy 2d boobs.
Feb 27, 2015 1:13 PM

Nov 2010
chuuzenjis said:
i dont care. i enjoy 2d boobs.
please, thaaaaank yoooou!
Feb 27, 2015 1:38 PM

Aug 2011
Fanservice is just a little more excessive, so I'm guessing that's where it comes from.

Just look at beach episodes; you never see muscles or shirtless dudes being sexualized the way girls are. Sure they'll reveal muscles they probably never showed off, and you could call that manservice, but the girls' boobs are always flopping around, they get once overs to scan over their bodies while they run around in the skimpiest bikinis. They're a lot more sexualized than the guys are and it's just uncomfortable for the people it's not targeting.

A man having his shirt off isn't pandering; in anime, it's usually been done for comedic value so it's not taken as seriously (Gray and Aikuro). Fanservice is done entirely seriously so they can cater to the guys who want to see panties.

Feb 27, 2015 1:53 PM

Feb 2015
Because the male body is beautiful and virtuous and the female form is revolting and shameful

Feb 27, 2015 5:13 PM

Nov 2013
Lol it always makes me laugh that people HAVE to bring up the "but men have it just as bad as women" argument whenever it's about something like this.

1. Men don't give a shit
2. It's not true

/thread
Feb 27, 2015 6:36 PM
♡( •ॢ◡-ॢ)✧˖° ♡

Dec 2014
What? I thought Manservice is fanservice, did i miss something?

Fanservice = Service for fans, doesn't matter if the service is sexual or not or the viewer is male or female

(っ◔◡◔)っ 𝓘 𝔀𝓲𝓼𝓱 𝔂𝓸𝓾 𝓪𝓵𝓵 𝓱𝓪𝓿𝓮 𝓪 𝔀𝓸𝓷𝓭𝓮𝓻𝓯𝓾𝓵 𝓭𝓪𝔂 ♥
Feb 27, 2015 6:38 PM

Nov 2012
If you're serious about this I fear for your view on women.
Feb 27, 2015 9:28 PM

Dec 2014
Why people always treat fansercices as sthing sexual-related and towards male audiences?
Feb 27, 2015 9:31 PM

Dec 2012
RyanEnsign said:
Lol it always makes me laugh that people HAVE to bring up the "but men have it just as bad as women" argument whenever it's about something like this.

1. Men don't give a shit
2. It's not true

/thread
Too many beta pussies in this thread whining about their flabby keg bellies not being fawned over by fujoshi.

Can we all just agree that naked anime characters are a win?
Feb 27, 2015 9:32 PM

Jul 2012
come on guys, there's a difference between buff guys and buff bishounen

get it together, MALes.
Feb 27, 2015 9:32 PM

Jul 2011
There are more moeshit schoolgirl harem anime in existence than fujoshi things like Free!
Feb 27, 2015 10:29 PM

Jul 2013
RyanEnsign said:

1. Men don't give a shit
2. It's not true

/thread
Agreed. Im getting a "mens rights" vibe from this shit.
Feb 27, 2015 11:17 PM

Nov 2014
I don't complain about that matter, it is just I enjoy it the way it is.
Feb 27, 2015 11:44 PM

Jul 2013
Because fanservice = easy way to bash anime.
"I don't like this show but i don't have a valid reason so I'll just say fanservice"
Feb 27, 2015 11:45 PM

Feb 2015
It's not just the existence or showing of flesh - it's the sexualizing of the situation and "gaze."

You're being too reductive.

To use your own example.. where's his nipples...? They're either tones down to be near skin color.. which honestly doesn't happen that much in real life, and his bulge is nonexistent.

Remember the gaze, what are the sexual parts of a male character..? Bulge, butt, sometimes nipples, no..?

If you're getting "ass ass ass" and then some crotch lingering shots, and you can discernably see their nipples, by golly you're looking at a Bara, not a mainstream anime.

There is a difference.
Feb 27, 2015 11:47 PM

Feb 2015
Another example..

Think of fanservice female.. what kind of underwear does she wear..? We know vividly from likely being shown it in an upskirt shot.

Now all those male characters.. what type of underwear do they wear..? It's rarely shown.
Feb 28, 2015 12:07 AM

Nov 2011
My serious answer is that the chest is considered an additional private/reproductive area for females. I suppose if a man's anatomy naturally allowed for feeding babies with their nipples as well, it might be different. It's just an anatomy difference.

I would equate a woman wearing a sports bra to a shirtless guy, in terms of how fanservice-y it's perceived. A bikini could be equated to a speedo. We don't see a lot of focus on a guy's crotch in anime, and especially not "bulge".
TripleSRankFeb 28, 2015 12:11 AM
Feb 28, 2015 12:10 AM

Feb 2015
TripleSRank said:
My serious answer is that the chest is considered an additional private/reproductive area for females. I suppose if a man's anatomy naturally allowed for feeding babies with their nipples as well, it might be different. It's just an anatomy difference.

I would equate a woman wearing a sports bra to a shirtless guy, in terms of how fanservice-y it's perceived. We don't see a lot of focus on a guy's crotch in anime.

Exactly.. and when men are sexualized for other men, they end up drawn differently, with emphasis on other part of anatomy.. including the nipples.

Feb 28, 2015 12:13 AM
Feb 2014
Daily reminder that this is all just a bunch of SJWs and shitlords collaborating on something no one else outside the anime community gives a shit about

:)
Feb 28, 2015 12:20 AM
Laughing Man

Jun 2012
HYPOCRISY.

Nihilfist said:
VitaminCaim said:
I appreciate Free! but it's a grim reminder of the sexism against males in the anime industry

Please tell me this is sarcasm.

*Anita Sarkeesian voice* Free! degrades the male characters by turning them into no more than sex objects for female gratification.
It perpetuates harmful, sexist beauty standards.

Nabris said:
it's usually been done for comedic value so it's not taken as seriously (Gray and Aikuro).

Contrary to jiggling boobs, which is taken EXTREMELY seriously, and obviously not for comedic purposes (e.g Eiken is a very philosophical analysis of the female body, totally not comedy).

JetFury said:
Agreed. Im getting a "mens rights" vibe from this shit.

Oh, no, not the men's rights heretics! Get the pitchforks!
Feb 28, 2015 12:25 AM

Feb 2015
In Free it's all imaginary fanservice and really the plot that lets the girls go squee.

The art looks like Madonna's arms and is not the least bit flattering. The mind sees what it wants to see - like blue/black versus gold/white dress.. but in reality, those boys are drawn horrifically.

Feb 28, 2015 12:36 AM
Laughing Man

Jun 2012
Uh, bro, anime in general is imaginary. All these characters don't really exist. And lol at choosing an image of the character when they were kids.
A more honest pic:

'Drawn horrifically' is subjective, and there seem to be a lot of fans of the show who disagree with you.
Feb 28, 2015 12:36 AM
Feb 2014
BatoKusanagi said:
Uh, bro, anime in general is imaginary. All these characters don't really exist. And lol at choosing an image of the character when they were kids.
A more honest pic:

'Drawn horrifically' is subjective, and there seem to be a lot of fans of the show who disagree with you.

Anime is IRL to some people, didn't you know????
Feb 28, 2015 12:43 AM

Jan 2013
Muan142 said:
Because the male body is beautiful and virtuous and the female form is revolting and shameful

There are times when I regret making threads and times where I don't regret making threads.

This is the latter
Feb 28, 2015 1:04 AM

Feb 2015
Really, what it comes down to is that those claiming there's rampant "manservice" cant tell the different between this:

And this..

One is very specifically designed for a sexualized gaze and the other is not.
Feb 28, 2015 1:11 AM

May 2013
Milk_is_Special said:
Hulohot said:

I mean some anime HAVE manservice but that's not the main focus of those anime, whereas there ARE anime that are solely based on fanservice (KanColle and Idolmaster comes to mind of the anime of the season)

That's what i was trying to say.
Free and other yaoi shows....

For every "yaoi" show there's 10 ecchi. Free! is also the only one with even close to the volume of fanservice present in ecchi shows.
Mar 2, 2015 3:50 AM

Jan 2015
Mar 2, 2015 4:17 AM

Feb 2013
First off, I'm a Dude, seeing a guy with his shirt off is pretty typical as opposed to seeing naked chicks. And I do'nt get turned on by cartoons so it comes off more as annoying than hot

Also, I find stuff like Renji's Tattos stylistic rather than hot. and shirtless scenes in shonen are more of a "shits about to go down" thing rather than a "get turned on thing"

There's a clear difference between something like this:

And this:

Also insert blatant manservice and people will bitch about it just as much calling it "Gay" or something along those lines
King_of_HereticsMar 2, 2015 4:32 AM
Mar 2, 2015 5:04 AM

Jul 2013
Nihilfist said:
One dude without a shirt does not manservice make. Do you seriously think something like this would make a girl wet?

Yes.

PoeticJustice said:
People on mal are scared of sex.

You are the man.
Mar 2, 2015 6:46 AM

Dec 2012
Hulohot said:
Milk_is_Special said:
Not really, if every scene where a girl wears a short skirt is seen as fanservice, a guy with muscles is also seen as manservice.

I mean some anime HAVE manservice but that's not the main focus of those anime, whereas there ARE anime that are solely based on fanservice (KanColle and Idolmaster comes to mind of the anime of the season)

That's what i was trying to say.
iDOLM@STER is definitely not just fanservice, there's way more behind it but most anti-moe brigadiers stop at the fact that the girls are visually appealing.
Mar 2, 2015 7:29 AM

Oct 2014
People need to realize that fanservice is a good thing.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 2, 2015 7:39 AM

Dec 2012
Milky_way1886 said:
People need to realize that fanservice =/= Ecchi

fixed
Mar 2, 2015 7:55 AM

Sep 2014
People just need to stop whining. If you hate fanservice, it doesn't suddenly dissappear when you whine about it.
Mar 2, 2015 8:14 AM

Nov 2014
quentariel said:
People just need to stop whining. If you hate fanservice, it doesn't suddenly dissappear when you whine about it.

This is MAL, where people discuss about chinesse cartoons like it was some N.A.T.O. shit or something.

Ratohnhaketon said:
iDOLM@STER is definitely not just fanservice, there's way more behind it but most anti-moe brigadiers stop at the fact that the girls are visually appealing.

Fanservice=/=ecchi, is still a blatant fanservice show.
Mar 2, 2015 9:25 AM

Dec 2012
Hulohot said:
quentariel said:

This is MAL, where people discuss about chinesse cartoons like it was some N.A.T.O. shit or something.

Ratohnhaketon said:

Fanservice=/=ecchi, is still a blatant fanservice show.
Because you've totally seen it to make an accurate assessment. Simply having fanservice does not equate to it being a "fanservice show." There's so much more going on behind all of that moe. Unless having fun = fanservice, then I admit my loss.
Mar 2, 2015 9:31 AM

Jan 2015
Wait wait. What anime are you guys watching?
Show me this abundant man-service we're talking about please :c
I need to add them to my ptw list
Mar 2, 2015 9:40 AM

Nov 2014
Ratohnhaketon said:
Because you've totally seen it to make an accurate assessment. Simply having fanservice does not equate to it being a "fanservice show." There's so much more going on behind all of that moe. Unless having fun = fanservice, then I admit my loss.

I watched the first episode, didn't like it. Also you seem to like a lot the "cute girls doing cute stuff", nothing wrong with that, but you have to admit that those kind of show are mostly fanservice. You don't watch them for the plot, you watch them to see the characters act all cute and stuff.
Mar 2, 2015 10:14 AM

Dec 2012
This 'plot' though, eveybody keeps implying it's the only valid way to enjoy anime or an anime is only good if it's have a focused plot.

Character driven series are great too, and usually better from my experience.
Mar 2, 2015 10:17 AM

Jul 2012
Sacreds said:
Wait wait. What anime are you guys watching?
Show me this abundant man-service we're talking about please :c
I need to add them to my ptw list

me too please
im pretty sure ive already seen them tho
Mar 2, 2015 10:33 AM
Feb 2014
tsudecimo said:
This 'plot' though, eveybody keeps implying it's the only valid way to enjoy anime or an anime is only good if it's have a focused plot.

^
Mar 2, 2015 10:50 AM

Apr 2012
tsudecimo said:

If only the characters where actually good in said cgdct shows. Problem is they lack both good plot and good characters.
Mar 2, 2015 1:55 PM

Dec 2012
Hulohot said:
Ratohnhaketon said:

I watched the first episode, didn't like it. Also you seem to like a lot the "cute girls doing cute stuff", nothing wrong with that, but you have to admit that those kind of show are mostly fanservice. You don't watch them for the plot, you watch them to see the characters act all cute and stuff.
The cute part is an undeniable bonus, but definitely not the only appeal. As tsudecimo pointed out, character driven storytelling is light on plot and instead focuses on the lives of the characters. That's pretty much what iM@S does, it spends 25 episodes highlighting the lives of aspiring idols and the various joys and troubles that they face. Whether that's for you or not is another story, but being character driven is far from being solely fanservice.

I enjoy Free! for most of the same reasons I like most cute girls/cute things shows and I'm a heterosexual man. It's also important to note that much like any other genre/category, there are always going to be different levels of quality when it comes to character driven narrative. Something like Softenni is what you and I could agree to be a blatant service show. On the other hand, cute girls SOL such as Natsuiro Kiseki and Aria the Animation deliver meaningful messages side by side with all of the fluff.
Mar 2, 2015 2:32 PM

Feb 2015
Found this, premade for this discussion.

Mar 3, 2015 10:26 PM

Jun 2014
aloricg said:
Found this, premade for this discussion.

lol wha
A great protagonist once said, "It's only overpowered if you can't return the favor!"

Mar 3, 2015 10:27 PM

Jun 2014
silverwalls said:
there isn't even that much manservice in anime, sadly.

yep, if you add up all the manservice in anime it won't even come close to just highschool dxd's 2 seasons.

Mar 3, 2015 10:27 PM

Jul 2012
Relevant so people don't get the wrong idea about the best manservice anime out there.

Mar 3, 2015 10:36 PM

Jun 2014
mayukachan said:
Relevant so people don't get the wrong idea about the best manservice anime out there.

xD
A great protagonist once said, "It's only overpowered if you can't return the favor!"

Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » has the majority of people (here) seen the big 3 ? ( 1 2 3 )

ame - Apr 16

146 by Old_School_Akira »»
15 minutes ago

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

51 by TitanOfPlasma »»
16 minutes ago

Poll: » Hentai is the worst anime genre ever created. ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

63 by Rachiba »»
17 minutes ago

» Hottest character from any of your Anime Favorites OR Character Favorites? (profile)

IpreferEcchi - Apr 16

22 by Jonas-K »»
17 minutes ago

» Is there an extension that helps you fully block someone?

APolygons2 - 2 hours ago

14 by APolygons2 »»
27 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.