Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Feb 23, 2015 5:26 AM
♡( •ॢ◡-ॢ)✧˖° ♡

Dec 2014
joephillingham said:
You look at any other form of DvD or movie on a site like amazon, and they sell for 0.01 + Delivery, Then you try to buy anime, which you can watch 99% of free online anyway, and it all costs like 20-30 Quid + P&P,

Why?
and does anyone know a website that sells anime or manga that contradicts this?

To rake in the profits of course. I don't know sorry. Those original anime DVDs are not cheap at all as far as i know

(っ◔◡◔)っ 𝓘 𝔀𝓲𝓼𝓱 𝔂𝓸𝓾 𝓪𝓵𝓵 𝓱𝓪𝓿𝓮 𝓪 𝔀𝓸𝓷𝓭𝓮𝓻𝓯𝓾𝓵 𝓭𝓪𝔂 ♥
Feb 23, 2015 5:30 AM

Sep 2013
YouAreNotSugoi said:
cupc said:
Because making anime costs a lot of money
True but let me show you something
Anime in comparison to western animation is dirt cheap to make

amateur said:
cupc said:

So does making movies.

As I said later, anime is a much more niche business. They have to set the prices high because that's optimal for them, that's how they make the most money out of anime. It's capitalism, and really shouldn't be that hard to grasp. And yet the animators barely make a living out of the business. Due to the relatively small profit each episode makes, making anime is indeed expensive.
Feb 23, 2015 5:51 AM

Feb 2010
joephillingham said:
Theaterofhope said:

A single episode of Friends costs 10 million dollars due to the cast

Anime does not have cast restrictions and due to the absense of CGI an average episode is $120,000 of a Popular show.

Anime isn't expensive

I have to bring this up every thread.

That's what I was thinking, yet for some reason Even used Copies seem to go for 20$ +, Is it the fanbase driving the price high? or some other factor like people mentioned above ... hmmm

Isn't it obvious that there are multiple difference between anime and american mainstream TV Series?

1. American TV Series get a lot of money through ratings and advertisements. They are produced for TV, DVD sales just come as an extra. If a series isn't profitable on for the TV station based on ratings alone, it will be cancelled.
2. They target an infinitely larger target audience so obviously the stuff can be sold cheaper per unit.
AlcoholicideFeb 23, 2015 6:52 AM
I probably regret this post by now.
Feb 23, 2015 5:53 AM

Apr 2014
Because it has to be imported from Japan, maybe?
Feb 23, 2015 6:34 AM

May 2012
Higashi_no_Kaze said:
Isn't it obvious that there are multiple difference between anime and american mainstream TV Series?

1. American TV Series get a lot of money through ratings and avertisements. They are produced for TV, DVD sales just some as an extra. If a series isn't profitable on for the TV station based on ratings alone, it will be cancelled.
2. They target an infinitely larger target audience so obviously the stuff can be sold cheaper per unit.

The first of these is critically important. Most ordinary television programming is financed by advertising revenues during the initial run. Often shows just break even during the network release and rely on income from "syndicated" reruns, foreign sales, and physical media for profits. That makes it possible to sell discs at comparatively low prices since they don't need to cover the initial costs of production.

The anime industry doesn't look like this at all. First, late-night anime series often have little or no advertising. Instead the production committee buys time from the networks to run their shows. That's why anime isn't generally a standalone medium; it's really advertising for the underlying manga or novels that are being adapted. With no substantial source of revenues during the initial television run, producers must rely on disc and merchandise sales and increased sales of the source material for income. That means the discs themselves will be much more expensive than discs for shows where advertising already covered the costs of production.
SeijiSenseiFeb 23, 2015 7:42 AM
Feb 23, 2015 6:52 AM

Feb 2010
Probably a combination of

1) Niche with cartoon-y aesthetics
2) Further limited its appeal because of 'reasons' like stigma arise from distinctive character designs.
3) Japan doesn't know how to globalize and leverage its properties.

I am not averse to the idea of paying for anime / manga. I no longer have any interest in physical format and I gave away 2 bookshelf of manga. I would pay good money, well above the average, if I can get my manga and anime in digital format. This is more of an issue with manga though because I am mostly into obscure stuff.
Feb 23, 2015 6:52 AM

Feb 2010
Damn, why do I always realize typos only after someone quoted me? :>
Feb 23, 2015 7:36 AM

Feb 2015
for me its priced about the same as movies and tv shows, however I don't pay for any of it.
Feb 23, 2015 8:15 AM

Mar 2013
Since anime is just some late night show that dumb neets buy in japan with overpriced home releases. Do you really think japan wants them to just import a cheap copy from the US?
added the fourth most popular anime onto this site
Feb 23, 2015 8:25 AM

Jun 2014
licensing costs bruh
All credit goes to Sacred.
Feb 23, 2015 9:09 AM

Jan 2009
Basically you're saying that your hobby is not worth 20 quid.
I suggest you look for something else that is more worthy of your free time.
Feb 23, 2015 9:20 AM

Feb 2010
Okiura said:
Basically you're saying that your hobby is not worth 20 quid.
I suggest you look for something else that is more worthy of your free time.

QFT
Feb 23, 2015 9:27 AM

Jun 2014
Well, nothing is available legally where i live so i just torrent everything.
It's expensive because the entertainment industry is stupid and has really old mentalities.
If you want a cheaper experience, try streaming on crunchyroll or funimation, well if they are fully available where you live at least.
:3
Feb 23, 2015 9:32 AM

Dec 2012
joephillingham said:
You look at any other form of DvD or movie on a site like amazon, and they sell for 0.01 + Delivery, Then you try to buy anime, which you can watch 99% of free online anyway, and it all costs like 20-30 Quid + P&P,

Why?
and does anyone know a website that sells anime or manga that contradicts this?

Licensing fees. Companies that bring foreign media over here have to purchase expensive copyright licenses for shows from their original copyright holders in order to sell them to us legally.
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Feb 23, 2015 10:04 AM

May 2009
I get what you're saying. anime I have on my wish list on Amazon is thirty bucks but at the same time that much for a full season isn't totally that bad of a price. If you don't want to pay that much then keep watching it on websites thought it's obviously more beneficial to buy it. You just have to ask yourself if it's worth the money.
Feb 23, 2015 11:35 AM

Jul 2014
It isn't. Let's look at films; normally films nowadays cost £10-20 depending on dvd or blu-ray. An average film today is 90-120 minutes long. A lot of 12-13 episode anime on amazon cost £20-25 for the blu-ray. A 12-13 episode series is 5-6 hours of content. From that perspective, it isn't that expensive at all.
Feb 23, 2015 11:43 AM

Jul 2014
Even cheaper:

Feb 23, 2015 12:49 PM

Aug 2011
It's not. The only time you can actually complain about anime being expensive is when you look at Aniplex's prices for their shows (although I've become desensitized to their prices and have bought a few shows). Although they try to make up for it by streaming said shows on Netflix and Hulu.

If you really don't want to pay full price for DVD/BDs, then I'd recommend just paying for a legal subscription.

Feb 23, 2015 1:12 PM

Nov 2014
People buy this stuff? I thought everybody just torrent it.

But to be honest i don't buy anime cause is hard to fin where i live, i have bought manga and for a reasonable price tho, so yeah...
Feb 23, 2015 1:18 PM

Aug 2013
because they want your money
Feb 23, 2015 3:33 PM

Mar 2014
cupc said:

Lol worst joke ever, making an anime doesn't cost even close to how much it costs to make Tv series or movies. Making Game of thrones for exemple costs over 6million $ per episode.

Edit : And here, most 12-episode anime Blu-rays vary from 30-70$. And that's a bit over 4 hours on content.
Now, Tv series prices vary between 20-50$ per season ( In Blu-ray ) and they're between 5-10 hours generally, sometimes more. Movies cost 20-25$ when they come out but their price come down fast. After like 2 months they are close to 10$. And Movies generally cost over 50Million $ to make for the cheap ones. High budget movies are 100-250million $ Some even more, but that's pretty rare.
But, there are anime you you can find that aren't that expensive, like Funimation's anime classics whi are generally 40$ for a full series of about 24-25 episodes. From what i've seen, Funimation shows are the only ones that aren't extreme expensive.
Personally i don't buy anime but i do watch them on crunchyroll or funimation unless the anime isn't on any of those. I see no reason to not help them, especially crunchyroll, most of the money you give them goes to the creators of the anime that you watched. I sometimes buy movies and Tv shows i liked in blu ray, because it's quite cheap and blu ray quality on tv shows is a lot more important than on anime lol. Watching Game Of Thrones on Blu ray is amazing.
TheKawaiiZombieFeb 23, 2015 4:03 PM

Profile Picture and Avatar/Signature made by SenpieX, requested in this thread :https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1568530&show=0
Feb 23, 2015 3:36 PM

Mar 2012
SlothieSloth said:
Maybe the 40% mark up from the cost of importing, and the 25% mark up of your local provider after having bought it at close to if not full retail price. Disclaimer: the numbers used are all arbitrary.

In my country they burn it and make fake copies.

But yeah its mostly the retail issue. Importation for DVDs in my country are 16% only.
End Zionazism
Feb 23, 2015 4:09 PM
Oct 2013
Anime DVD/Blu-Ray is a niche market. In other words, it is a market intended for fans and collectors, or in short, certain demographic. It's like buying custom-made collectibles like figurines, pillows, cups, and t-shirts which you can find in retail shops.

Originally, anime DVDs are made for video rental but fans started to buy them which prompt the marketing team to instead sell them for limited sale. Since then, they set a fixed price to cover their expenses in producing the anime and sell quality DVDs/Blu-Rays. A couple thousands of these are enough to cover the whole anime production cost. This made DVD/Blu-Ray as their main source of revenue.

To sum it up, DVDs/Blu-Rays are meant to be expensive. Add the exportation cost, licensing fees, tariffs, taxes, servicing cost, etc. and you have a good pack of reasons why they cost so much.
Feb 23, 2015 4:10 PM

Feb 2015
Because money
Feb 23, 2015 4:12 PM

Jul 2014
cuz the industry knows that i like it ;)
Feb 23, 2015 4:59 PM

Dec 2014
Comic_Sans said:
Because Chinese cartoons

Please dear God...
It's Japanese...
Feb 23, 2015 5:46 PM

May 2010
Production, Translations, Added Content. Most anime series cost just as much as regular TV box sets. Most anime movies cost around the same or cheaper than regular movies
Feb 23, 2015 7:12 PM

May 2013
I just watch it for free because paying for anime is stupid, in my opinion. Unless you're rich.

inb4 " supporting something you enjoy makes you stupid?"

But if you have a spare mil or two in your bank go for it. Otherwise you're using money that you could be saving for future needs.
Feb 23, 2015 8:20 PM
Laughing Man

Jun 2012
Because people will buy it even at those ridiculous prices.
Feb 23, 2015 8:20 PM

Aug 2014
It's because I stream all their anime
Feb 23, 2015 9:59 PM

Mar 2014
nomanz said:
I just watch it for free because paying for anime is stupid, in my opinion. Unless you're rich.

But if you have a spare mil or two in your bank go for it. Otherwise you're using money that you could be saving for future needs.

If you think helping the people that makes things you like is stupid, then you should just go in the road and let yourself get hit by a car. lol joking, but seriously, if you seriously think that then you're the most stupid person on the planet. I don't buy anime, the prices are ridiculous, but i still support them by watching anime on legal streaming sites. You don't even have to have a subscription on crunchyroll to support anime industries, just watching the ads give them money...

Profile Picture and Avatar/Signature made by SenpieX, requested in this thread :https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1568530&show=0
Feb 23, 2015 10:04 PM

Apr 2013
I saw a 12 episode anime at Walmart for $60, it was blu-ray but still that feels like a lot, but when you think about it that's 4 hours of content and a 2 hour blu ray normal movie is like $40 :/
Feb 23, 2015 10:28 PM

Mar 2014
BatoKusanagi said:
Because people will buy it even at those ridiculous prices.

very true
MAL: A community that thinks every anime is bad, but rates everything a 7/10.
Feb 23, 2015 10:36 PM

May 2013
TheKawaiiZombie said:
nomanz said:

If you think helping the people that makes things you like is stupid, then you should just go in the road and let yourself get hit by a car. lol joking, but seriously, if you seriously think that then you're the most stupid person on the planet. I don't buy anime, the prices are ridiculous, but i still support them by watching anime on legal streaming sites. You don't even have to have a subscription on crunchyroll to support anime industries, just watching the ads give them money...

You are using the word stupid wrong. I don't share the same societal morals as most of you sheep, sorry if that offends you.

It is a STUPID financial decision to make. Point, blank, period. If you're really well off though it doesn't matter.

Besides that you are not helping them in the way you make it sound. Without you yourself the anime will still continue to run. If an anime threatened to cancel my favorite show and I was the only one who could save well then, that is a different story. Until then I'll let the sheep keep the industry running while I rake up cash for my future family and business ventures (only 21 now so that's long and far).
nomanzFeb 23, 2015 11:11 PM
Feb 23, 2015 11:05 PM

Feb 2014
Waifu are expensive after all.
Feb 24, 2015 2:56 AM

Jun 2007
nomanz said:
Besides that you are not helping them in the way you make it sound. Without you yourself the anime will still continue to run. If an anime threatened to cancel my favorite show and I was the only one who could save well then, that is a different story. Until then I'll let the sheep keep the industry running while I rake up cash for my future family and business ventures (only 21 now so that's long and far).
Just move to Galt's Gulch already.
Feb 24, 2015 3:00 AM
Jul 2018
Probably since not enough people buy it, so to make the money back they increase the costs. which is a double edged sword because it creates even more of a barrier to entry so even less people buy it, and the cycle continues, but streams like crunchyroll can help bridge that gap.
Feb 24, 2015 3:00 AM
May 2007
If you think anime is expensive, look at Japanese prices and best yet, look at the VHS prices. Anime today is like 400% cheaper than it was during those days. In the 90s, a 2-3 episode VHS tape in Japan could range from $45-$75. In Japan, it could cost up to $190. Today, I can buy a 25 episode DVD set at average $35.
Jul 4, 2015 12:01 AM

Sep 2014
The most expensive anime I have bought was anohana and clannad after story for 60 dollars (Canadian) most don't pass 40 dollars. I've bought steins;gate, angel beats, spice and wolf complete, serial experiments lain, dead mans wonder land, future diary and so on. Each costed me under 40 dollars, which is an amazing deal. Granted most of them are funimation tho, they price there anime amazingly well. All of this was through amazon as well.
Jul 4, 2015 12:03 AM
Jul 2018
marketing strategy
Sep 14, 2017 12:20 AM
Nov 2014
II- said:
Consequent said:

Let me correct my words a bit. Making good quality anime is expensive.
Better now?

I'd say that writing is one of the most important aspects of anime,which pretty much decides whether anime is good or not and it does not matter if the writer gets paid two times the average salary as long as he writes good.

Price of anime is mostly affected by animation,soundtrack and voice actors.
But those alone do not make a good anime.

Good example of expensive,yet not so good anime would be Fate/Zero and Fate/Stay Night - Unlimited Blade Works TV.

How bout u stfu ur so stupid if u even think the anime is not good Fate/zero made it inthe top 100 of japans best anime of all time at number 50 UBW mdae it in the top 100 before u say a anime is not so good make sure u look at the facts
Sep 14, 2017 8:18 AM

Jul 2016
Finding Voice actors are the most expensive and that makes anime so expensive.

Life is empty without anime

Sep 15, 2017 6:10 AM
Aug 2017
Cause anime takes soo much time to make. And it's popular.

But I've never tried buying anime/manga. They are seriously so expensive. In my country there's only like a few shops selling manga only. :( Maybe I'm gonna start saving money to but manga soon :(
I love anime and kpop! <3 BLINK and SONE
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» what's the worst anime you've watched and what exactly was the worst part of it ? ( 1 2 )

ame - Apr 7

60 by Ricchan__ »»
4 minutes ago

» which antagonist is your fave and which one you cannot JUST TAKE SERIOUSLY ?

ame - 1 hour ago

10 by GakutoDeathGlare »»
12 minutes ago

» Women tend to have superior anime preferences compared to men? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

84 by BilboBaggins365 »»
30 minutes ago

» Do you watch anything else besides anime? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 21

81 by BilboBaggins365 »»
37 minutes ago

» Characters you like but everyone else hates. ( 1 2 )

Spunkert - May 17, 2023

50 by Bruh69XD »»
41 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.