Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Apr 4, 2010 10:38 PM

Apr 2008
loved it, loved it, LOVED IT. It did exactly what it was supposed to do. It set everything up for what's gonna happen in the second movie. The pacing was nice for the most part, other than the fact that it seemed to take a bit to get things off the ground. Curious about some of the other Selecao charas who are unidentified.....

also, did anyone else get a huge kick outa Juiz's attitude toward the movie guy (#6 I think)?? It's obvious that Juiz hates that guy! XD
Apr 5, 2010 9:49 PM
May 2008
Decent movie, like others have said, this was a nice set-up for the next movie. My only real complaint is how little progression was made, some details were revealed... but those don't have much impact with what information we currently have.
Dead Account
Please Delete
Apr 6, 2010 4:59 AM

Nov 2007
i found it incredibly slow paced x.x it pissed me off not to mention the almost 3 gig dl x,x DAMN YOU DB!

I signed my screen and now its all smeary "When you meet your God tell him to leave me alone."

check out my bloghttp://corpse69.wordpress.com/

fix MAL already
Apr 7, 2010 11:03 AM
May 2009
Well thanks to this episode, I understand a lot more about Juiz. She's just a system that responds to each cell phone, but she I think they have a separate system for each phone. That's why then the cars blew up, the people's phones stopped working. At first I thought it was just one system, but since she views each Selecao differently, it had to be different, and the whole truck scene at the end made me realize that.

It was good in terms of story, yea nothing happened, but they do need to get on with the story.
Apr 7, 2010 7:24 PM
Sep 2007
Why is there a picture of Juiz on the character list?
Since when was her identity revealed?
Apr 8, 2010 12:08 AM

Jan 2009
gotoKu- said:
Somewhere in the end of the TV series, Takizawa sent a bottle of champagne to No.1 and whoever was with him, and that bottle was delivered by the one in the picture named Juiz. I'm pretty sure Takizawa also said something about Juiz delivering it as well, don't remember why anymore though : p
(Maybe I should watch the series again?)
Protip: I don't really check the forums anymore, so if you want something, take it on my profile.
Is it time for my long-awaited return to the forums? щ(゚Д゚щ) Nope™, probably not.
Apr 8, 2010 1:00 AM

Oct 2009
gotoKu- said:
At the end like Oosran said when she brought the champagne bottle.....Mr.Outside...has rumors he was the cab driver at the end.

In spoiler my anime list for now.
Apr 8, 2010 4:36 PM

Aug 2008
Tomodachi said:
i found it incredibly slow paced x.x it pissed me off not to mention the almost 3 gig dl x,x DAMN YOU DB!

THIS! Thanks to that I can't work out if I was dissapointed because it was a relatively poor movie or because it kep bloody lagging

Bleh, I don't have the enthusiasm to watch Paradise Lost now. If anything I want the whole thing to come out on dvd and watch the entire thing from start to finish but I know if I wait I'll hit spoilers
The Cart Driver <-- My awesome anime blog
Apr 10, 2010 11:40 PM

Oct 2008
Cliffhanger. Can't wait for the new movie. :3

And the ED is pretty nice.
Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.~
Apr 11, 2010 2:36 PM

Jan 2010
I'm guessing that the second movie will finish up everything they didn't do in this movie.
Apr 11, 2010 4:33 PM

Oct 2009
mixed feelings . . . I liked the characters but it wasn't nearly as epic as the series :/ Just filler before the final movie . . . Can't wait to see how it's going to resolve the mystery!!

The ED was cool though and question . . . did number 2 make an appearance? and was the supporter revealed? or did I miss something??
Apr 11, 2010 4:36 PM
Apr 2010
I felt it was ok, just it seemed that great moments would come but they did not. Still, I loved scene at the Amusement Park, that was beautiful. It was not a bad movie, but I expected more. I will hope the best for the next movie.
Apr 11, 2010 11:01 PM

Jun 2009
The subtle reference to Catcher in the Rye in the merry-go-around scene did it for me. Very intelligent.

I haven't seen the anime series since I finished it last year so the 6-month time passage between this movie and the last TV episode was something I could really relate to. It felt very nostalgic to see all the characters again.

In the end, I'm glad that The King of Eden retained the charm and cleverness of the TV series. I can only expect good things from Paradise Lost.
Apr 15, 2010 3:02 PM

Aug 2008
I'm really confused about the people who say this movie didn't do anything for the plot development. This movie completely presented what happened to Akira at the end of the tv show, created a conflict with his past being totally erased, showed what happened to Eden and the creators becoming what they were complaining about as NEETs, Introduced two more Selecao, and amped up the stakes at the end with Mononobe attacking the new, roving Juiz. There was nothing stagnant about this movie at all.

What I did notice, though was a fluid pace that didn't feel nearly as hectic as the show did. I remember lots of people (including myself) complaining about how fast things went, and how quickly the show would resolve the conflict. So, now that that issue is resolved by changing the medium to film, people are calling it 'boring.' I call it balanced storytelling.

By no means am I calling it perfect though, because it does suffer a little from having to set up a few things, while lacking development from Saki and Akira; but to see it get 5s or lower is crazy to me.

8/10 for me.
Apr 15, 2010 4:58 PM

Jun 2007
noteDhero said:
I'm really confused about the people who say this movie didn't do anything for the plot development. This movie completely presented what happened to Akira at the end of the tv show, created a conflict with his past being totally erased, showed what happened to Eden and the creators becoming what they were complaining about as NEETs, Introduced two more Selecao, and amped up the stakes at the end with Mononobe attacking the new, roving Juiz. There was nothing stagnant about this movie at all.

What I did notice, though was a fluid pace that didn't feel nearly as hectic as the show did. I remember lots of people (including myself) complaining about how fast things went, and how quickly the show would resolve the conflict. So, now that that issue is resolved by changing the medium to film, people are calling it 'boring.' I call it balanced storytelling.

By no means am I calling it perfect though, because it does suffer a little from having to set up a few things, while lacking development from Saki and Akira; but to see it get 5s or lower is crazy to me.

8/10 for me.

That's because people are retards now a days lol. The fast pacing in the series was much welcomed in my opinion. It's one of the few series where fast pacing felt right. The movie lacked it big time which left a less dramatic and more "when is this gonna pick up" taste in my mouth and I think that's why people are pissed off. They're confusing plot development with slowness. I personalty liked it and expect the pace to pick up in the second movie now that members are starting to target each other more openly.
Apr 15, 2010 6:45 PM

Aug 2009
I completely agree with noteDhero and DeathfireD. This movie was more like 'planting seeds' for the next sequel, and it did it pretty much damn well. What I really didn't like was being the title 'eden of the east', it didn't really had noticeable development or engagement on that program itself. Now, it is pretty obvious that Eden of the east site is doing pretty much everything, and I liked it.

8/10 for me, too. Pace was slow and content was lacking, but still managed to be enjoyable for me.
Apr 19, 2010 10:16 AM

Dec 2007
Even if it wasn't all that exciting of a movie, it did what it had to do: advance the plot.
Apr 22, 2010 9:07 PM
Nov 2007
I call it balanced storytelling.

What are you talking about? This movie was anything but balanced. At least in my opinion.

This movie was fine, not great, in terms of plot progression. Take into regard how enjoyable it was, and this movie is merely mediocre. It was demanding to watch.

I'm giving it a 6/10. I would've given it a 5, but I'm biased since I enjoyed the TV series.
Apr 22, 2010 9:10 PM
Apr 22, 2010 9:24 PM
Nov 2007
noteDhero said:
How wasn't it balanced?

From this page alone:

"because it does suffer a little from having to set up a few things, while lacking development from Saki and Akira"

"Even if it wasn't all that exciting of a movie, it did what it had to do: advance the plot."

"What I really didn't like was being the title 'eden of the east', it didn't really had noticeable development or engagement on that program itself"

"The movie lacked it big time which left a less dramatic and more "when is this gonna pick up" taste in my mouth and I think that's why people are pissed off. They're confusing plot development with slowness."

So how about you tell me how it was balanced? lol.

Also...
That's because people are retards now a days lol.

It's one thing to be a troll, but it's another thing to be ignorant of your own epistemological views. If you enjoyed the movie, then that's fine, but don't call other people retards for saying this movie was mediocre or below... unless they were trolling, lol.
radiantfireApr 22, 2010 9:28 PM
Apr 22, 2010 11:56 PM

Aug 2008
I already talked about why I thought it was balanced, but I'll quote myself anyways.
noteDhero said:

What I did notice, though was a fluid pace that didn't feel nearly as hectic as the show did. I remember lots of people (including myself) complaining about how fast things went, and how quickly the show would resolve the conflict. So, now that that issue is resolved by changing the medium to film,
people are calling it 'boring.' I call it balanced storytelling.

Emboldened for emphasis.

This movie did a hell of a lot, and was still funny, somewhat touching, and energetic. I felt constant forward motion, and momentum, and that's hard to keep up for a feature-length flim. I think a lot of people were expecting the movie to hit the ground running like the show did, but besides the fact that they are two different animals, the movie had a lot to address, and it didn't feel like to movie was bogged down in dealing with it from my perspective.
noteDheroApr 23, 2010 12:02 AM
Apr 23, 2010 12:00 AM
Nov 2007
I don't see how that explanation supports your claim that it was balanced.

Also,
completely presented what happened to Akira at the end of the tv show

Completely? lol.
Apr 23, 2010 12:07 AM

Aug 2008
Don't know what more to say when you give one word replies.

I think they did completely present what happened. Maybe there's another twist, I don't know, but as it stands, I don't have any questions about what happened to him between the show and the movie. But fine, I'll concede that it wasn't "complete."

Anything else?
Apr 23, 2010 12:49 AM
Nov 2007
One word is all it takes. Besides, it's not just one word; it's one word and a question mark.

Fact is, the movie didn't present everything that happened to Akira, nor did it present everything that happened after the TV series. Much of what happened was implied given that there was a timeskip.

I think it's a rather weak argument when you're trying to justify your 8/10 rating for this movie. Then again, to each his or her own.
Apr 23, 2010 9:51 AM

Aug 2008
So presented to you means that it has to be shown?

Akira lost his memory, and as they wandered off the building, Juiz made moves to have Akira become the prime minister's son--so he could become 'king'-- while his image became iconoclastic. Akira and Saki were taken to the police station where he was given the seeds for his new identity and whisked away, while she was questioned about her involvement in the missile attack. Akira was given a job in NY, and he's slowly been trying to remember his past, but to no avail, mistaking Juiz for his real mother. He continues some sort of life in NY until he meets Saki, when the pieces begin to come back together.

Of course it didn't present everything that happened after the TV series. There are still two more movies, but even then, it still won't be everything. There were two main pieces of exposition in the movie that described what happened, one from Akira, and one from Kazuomi while everyone waited for a call from Saki. Those moments filled in much of what was going on in between the movie and the show. On top of that there was dialogue/monologuing by Kuroha and Mononobe that further gave a frame for what had been/is going on in the story. I don't think anything is just implied when we see corroboration in the result of the changes that have happened in everyone's lives, but I suppose that's just me.

I think I've done a pretty good job explaining in my own words why I gave it an 8, as opposed to your quoting other people and giving it a 6. But this isn't about scores in the first place. This is about your disagreeing that the story was balanced, while not really giving your own examples and sharing your own viewpoint.
Apr 23, 2010 6:22 PM
Nov 2007
lol.

Why wasn't it balanced?

This movie was fine, not great, in terms of plot progression. Take into regard how enjoyable it was, and this movie is merely mediocre. It was demanding to watch.

Hence, it wasn't balanced. Also, to support my claim, I quoted others, including yourself:

"because it does suffer a little from having to set up a few things, while lacking development from Saki and Akira"

"Even if it wasn't all that exciting of a movie, it did what it had to do: advance the plot."

"What I really didn't like was being the title 'eden of the east', it didn't really had noticeable development or engagement on that program itself"

"The movie lacked it big time which left a less dramatic and more "when is this gonna pick up" taste in my mouth and I think that's why people are pissed off. They're confusing plot development with slowness."

So presented to you means that it has to be shown?

Sure, you get little snippets here and there of what happened, but I still rebuke your argument that "[t]his movie completely presented what happened to Akira at the end of the tv show"

Poor word choice as you yourself recognised: "But fine, I'll concede that it wasn't complete."
radiantfireApr 23, 2010 6:26 PM
Apr 25, 2010 11:29 PM
Feb 2009
ugh definitely didnt expect tht kind of ending :S
May 1, 2010 7:53 AM

Jun 2009
GREAT!!!

Hollywood need to make this into LIVE ACTION,,,It will better than Dragon Ball or BLEACH...

damn,,,can't wait for the second movie....
May 1, 2010 7:54 AM

Jan 2009
IZUMI64 said:
Hollywood need to make this into LIVE ACTION,,,It will better than Dragon Ball or BLEACH...
Actually.. That's a great idea! : O
God I'd like to see that, would be awesome~ : D
Protip: I don't really check the forums anymore, so if you want something, take it on my profile.
Is it time for my long-awaited return to the forums? щ(゚Д゚щ) Nope™, probably not.
May 4, 2010 1:35 PM

Jul 2009
Oosran said:
IZUMI64 said:

We all know it would suck.
May 5, 2010 6:13 AM

Jan 2009
Schreibtisch said:
Oosran said:
IZUMI64 said:
We all know it would suck.
Of course it would, seeing as Hollywood can't do anything right nowadays, but it's a good story at least, so no need to be pessimistic about it.
Aim for Bollywood instead?
May 8, 2010 5:23 AM

Jul 2009
With Shahrukh Khan as any character?
I'm in!
May 13, 2010 9:01 PM

Feb 2010
Sure is Holden Caulfield in here.

Kind of a meh movie, but still left me wanting more.
May 14, 2010 2:13 AM

Jul 2007
Not as paced as the TV series, was hoping for that same pace. Skip to 6 months after the series and make the movie a slow day. Oh well.

7/10
Jun 1, 2010 12:37 AM
Mar 2010
Here's some interesting things i spotted in the movie:
-Yuki (which i believe is the name of the redhead) actually uses photoshop for work!!!!! If you pause the scene with her in front of a computer, it is definitely the layout of photoshop as i recognize the toolbars.
-Also, Eden of hte East seems to really like Apple computers as i think all of the computers in that office were apple. You can magnify the backs of the computer and see an apple symbol.

And would any one like to tell me how u guy stake screenshots of these shows. I download them in .mkv, and i was wondering what programs all you use to get the screenshots from a .mkv. Reply to my wall if you can.
Jun 1, 2010 4:18 PM

Jul 2009
What was with her last request moving the third truck to the front? Didn't get the point in that. Sorry if I'm a bit slow
"A detoxified Akihabara would just be another electronic town!"

Jun 6, 2010 1:29 PM

Jul 2009
I think they used apple as another reference to Eden. You know, the appletree and stuff.
Jun 7, 2010 6:44 PM

Mar 2009
Really good movie. Saki and Akira meeting again was a fantastic reunion.
Jun 13, 2010 3:21 PM
Apr 2009
garytek said:
The subtle reference to Catcher in the Rye in the merry-go-around scene did it for me.

It wasn't that subtle, really.
Jul 13, 2010 4:15 PM

Mar 2008
Well the serious seemed to be a bit more exciting compared to the movie...

I just don't understand why he would wipe his mind a second time either, but oh well...

Hopefully the second movie will be more exciting, I think it might be the conclusion?
Jul 28, 2010 1:10 PM

Jul 2008
I felt the movie could have been structured better, as pacing was an issue and the climax really didn't leave me on edge like it probably should have done, but the movie was okay. Loved the reference to The Man Who Stole the Sun.
I write about manga → morningroo.com
and movies → letterboxd.com/ugla
Aug 16, 2010 1:28 PM
Nov 2009
This wasn't really bad, I just got more confused ._. still it was a good movie and the animation is just awesome. Gief movie 2 nao for teh conclusion or will there be 3 movies O_o? But we'll see. 5/5 for this btw. pz
Aug 29, 2010 4:09 PM

Feb 2009
I didn't get what was up with the trucks... XD
Aug 30, 2010 6:42 PM

Feb 2009
Ahohime said:
I didn't get what was up with the trucks... XD

i think were carrying juiz support for each person
Sep 11, 2010 2:10 AM

Dec 2008
Saki was so kawaii
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 19, 2010 4:56 PM

Dec 2008
Oosran said:
Jigero said:
Aokaado said:
DeathHormone said:
I really enjoyed it, yeah it was slow paced but i didn't mind it, just wish the 2nd film was out! The trailer part confused me, perhaps the trailers carry some sort of cargo that has some connection to juiz, although to me, it looked like the trailers were carrying more missiles(but that wouldn't make sense?)
agreed, and yea, wtf was all that?
Those were Juiz, they where mobile servers, each holding a Juiz for each Selecao, he tried to blow up everyone's Juiz, but his own, there for the other Selecao can't do shit and effectively cutting the head off the snake. It looks like the only people left with a Juiz is No.1 and No.09.

The reason Juiz seems different was because there was only 1 Juiz before, but they moved Juiz into different mobile servers for each Selecao, so those separate Juiz must have tailored them selves to each Selecao.
And going by that, haha tough luck being No. 6, having his own Juiz bail out on him xD

Jhahaha that was a great LMFAO

Wow I didn´t understood all that thing about the Juiz´s thanks for that
Oct 1, 2010 12:35 AM

Jun 2009
It was okay.. everything was boring not until the 40 minute mark onwards after that it was a bit confusing

*So you need to erase your memories just to survive death? (Supporter)
*What was those trailer truck for? after being destroyed the Selecao became inactive but alive
Live well - Laugh often - and Love much

Dec 26, 2010 12:14 PM

Feb 2009
OK, I can't wait to see the end now.. I hope we will then know who the supporter is or was? (and who's number 12?)
I also wonder why number 1 knows the minister all of a sudden, nasty little fella, that number 1..
Jan 7, 2011 10:47 AM

Aug 2010
I pretty much figured out that Juiz was different some how from the series favouring other players and treating others like dirt. From there I was lost....
Feb 21, 2011 5:24 PM

Jul 2010
Yukushi said:
What was with her last request moving the third truck to the front? Didn't get the point in that. Sorry if I'm a bit slow

if u remember, juiz was a huge computer thing in the anime, at the end, they had to get a "wireless" version of juiz and each truck was for each selecio.
in my opinion, the truck that was targeted was at akira's "juiz", thus, the girl knowing this, had her juiz become the sacrifice.

anyway, that was an interesting movie, it wasnt that great, but there was a lot of stuff happening, though there was hardly any development between saki and akira, or atleast their back to where they started now. like everyone has said before, they basicly put everything in place for the next movie, we know that akira look-a-like is alive but it seems he wants to get revenge without the help of juiz. the guy with the hat, the docter, and the girl are alive but eliminated.
the other guy with the glasses seems to want to win through casulties, and our hero still wants to be king but is in a pinch with his PM's son's side. i wonder how the wife will act when they meet, somthing tells me she might secretly involved with this, but we'll find out.

Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

» Memory

DrakensbergMist - May 1, 2014

1 by xytech »»
Jul 16, 2014 9:51 AM

» detail summary eden of the east

arsh231 - Mar 29, 2010

4 by DrakensbergMist »»
May 1, 2014 12:21 AM

» What is "Vintage"?

SKDoesMAL - May 18, 2010

5 by 5layer »»
Jan 14, 2011 3:12 AM

» LEAH?

Waw - Apr 22, 2010

2 by XzaR »»
Apr 27, 2010 12:03 PM

» When will this movie be subbed? ( 1 2 )

MoeNekoDrill - Dec 6, 2009

64 by rodrigohmu »»
Apr 6, 2010 7:52 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.