MyAnimeList.net

Forums

Recent Posts | My Watched Topics | My Ignored Topics | Search

Top Anime For Adults!
MyAnimeList.net Forum »» Anime & Manga Recommendations »» Top Anime For Adults!

Pages (2) [1] 2 »
02-15-08, 3:05 PM

For all the highschool or older people out there. As you might have realized; many if not most of the anime are about young ppl (middle school or younger). Are there any anime that is about high schoolers and above and for older ppl as well??

02-15-08, 5:25 PM

The is plenty, although i would say that there is alot of animes that like to take the view point of younger kids.. never understood why myself (cant stand it).

If you are just looking for older/mature anime then i can suggest afew. Claymore, Cowboy bebop, Ergo Proxy.

I also noticed you have FMA on hold, i suggest if you want to watch an anime... watch that one first, i doubt you wont like it.

02-15-08, 5:30 PM

Go for Cowboy Bebop. That's pretty awesome and I'm not even done yet :D

*Side note: you're from Jersey too eh? =P

02-15-08, 5:36 PM

Nodame Cantabile. Honey & Clover... For series about people in college.

For actual adult series, try some stuff like Bartender, Hataraki Man, Rescue Wings.

There are tons of series about people in highschool, that's a main target of shounen/shoujo series, young-mid teens (honestly not many series are -aimed- at pre-teens)

Then there's all the seinen series which are aimed at post-teens. Josei too, though a good bit less common in anime. Really, it's not as uncommon as people seem to suggest, but the five I listed are an excellent start.

02-15-08, 5:38 PM

Monster, Cowboy Bebop, Planates, Ghost in the Shell SAC, Now and Then Here and There, and Ergo Proxy are all good examples of shows that I would say are specifically catering to an adult anime pallet.

02-15-08, 5:42 PM

Nana! Romance that isn't about high schoolers getting their first kiss for once.

02-15-08, 5:47 PM

REC comes to mind right now. There are alot though... I just have to think about it.

02-15-08, 10:01 PM

There's quite alot, a real lot.

If you help us narrow down what you're looking for them it becomes alot easier for use to help you. You just said the equivalent of saying, "Do you guys know any good movies directed at adults?" The answer: yes, alot.

Sam is my sweet peach

02-16-08, 8:20 AM

TOKKO is one of the adult ish anime ^_^

02-16-08, 10:19 AM

Genshiken is a choice imo. It's set in college and the funny thing is, alot of it could actually happen. So it's pretty realistic.

02-16-08, 10:59 PM

^ I second Genshiken. x3 It thrusts you into the world of college otaku, which is awesome.

I might suggest Kino no Tabi, Mushishi, and NHK ni Youkoso to adults for the themes they present...

02-17-08, 6:47 PM

^ I second NHK ni Youkoso. I'm more than half way through it and it's very enjoyable.

02-17-08, 6:54 PM

I second all of -AtaraxiA-'s and lessermaster's suggestions, and add Haibane Renmei to the list.

02-18-08, 1:54 AM

Ergo Proxy, Mushishi and maybe Innocent Venus?
Join the Kyonko Fanclub Today! | Join the MAL Tenjou Tenge Fanclub Today!

02-18-08, 8:31 AM

I'm sorta confused here. From the topic name I'd say you were looking for series directed at a more older audience but from your post I get the idea that you just want shows with generally older characters. For example Now and Then, Here and There is a show "about kids" suffering through pretty harsh situations. It's not something direct at younger audiences even though the protagonists are bellow 15years of age.

Either way I'm gonna second the recs for Honey & Clover, Kino no Tabi, Haibane Renmei, Now and Then Here and There, Genshiken & Cowboy Bebop.

and I'm also gonna add: Junni Kokuki, Wolf's Rain, Le Chevalier D'Eon, Seirei no Moribito, Gungrave, Jyu-Oh-Sei & Infinite Ryvius

02-18-08, 4:25 PM

TheWestExit said:
You just said the equivalent of saying, "Do you guys know any good movies directed at adults?"

That's not what he asked.

Monster, Mushishi, Baccano!, Cowboy Bebop, Paprika and Perfect Blue (both are movies).

02-18-08, 4:30 PM

I would deffinatly recommend Mushishi and Wolfs Rain.

02-18-08, 4:57 PM

I'm not sure if you're looking for adult characters or just more mature shows, and you didn't really say what kind of genre, but:

Cowboy Bebop (space, action/adventure)
Mushishi (supernatural)
Darker than Black (action)
NANA (romance)
Death Note (drama)
Juuni Kokuki (fantasy, drama)
Baccano! (action/adventure)
Monster (suspense, drama)
Planetes (space, drama, romance)
Rurouni Kenshin: Tsuiokuhen (historical drama, action)
Trigun (action/adventure)
Honey & Clover (romance, slice of life)
Great Teacher Onizuka (comedy, school -- even though it takes place in a HS, it's enjoyable)

...And this is, like, the tip of an iceberg. =)

02-18-08, 5:58 PM

Veggen said:

TheWestExit said:
You just said the equivalent of saying, "Do you guys know any good movies directed at adults?"

That's not what he asked.

You're right, he asked about anime and not movies. Why would I try to equate two obviously unrealtead mediums.

The point is you can't just ask for things aimed at adults because each one is so drastically different. I could recomend Silent Service and Ookiku Furikabutte, both aimed at adults, but drastically different in stlye, composition, everything. If you want better service narrow down your terms.

Sam is my sweet peach

02-18-08, 6:08 PM

okay lol let me clarify... i actually meant pretty much in between the two.. but now i know i was going for adult characters

oh and thanks for all the help guys ^^;;

Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Help     FAQ     About     Contact     Terms     Privacy     AdChoices