Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Ace of the Diamond
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Feb 14, 2015 3:54 PM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
What's with the grim atmosphere of this episode? Still enjoyed the game though because of how fierce it is. I think this applies more to the hits rather than the pitches this game. Hell, what power.

Somewhat cliffhangerish ending. This game felt kinda odd tbh.
Feb 14, 2015 6:02 PM

Jul 2010
Sawaruma throwing worst with each pitch. To be unable to throw inside after Inashiro's game.

Actually had some expectations for him to do good, totally didn't expect him to hit such a heavy wall. To give soon to be 5 runs without an out or strike in one inning and completely freezing like that.

This match sort of seems hopeless now :/, especially with Sanada managing Seido's batters so well too. This being quite the important game, wonder if coach would make him sit as either way this is going to be devastating to him with Sawamura so eager to prove himself yet he subconsciously stops himself.
Feb 14, 2015 6:12 PM

May 2010
kinda hard to watch at this point. they lost the tournament with a far better team and many great players are gone. And now with the current team they wanna go to nationals..well good luck with that.

Sawamura completely seems to have completely forgotten how to pitch and is just digging his hole deeper and deeper.

2/5 not enjoying it right now.
Feb 14, 2015 7:01 PM
Apr 2009
I agree with everyone else, this episode just brought me down a notch. I like it because it's realistic, you don't always get what you want, even if you want it really badly, even if you /need/ it.

but....it hurts sooo bad. I really wanted to see Sawamura go in this game, but now, im kind of blown. So hard to get through this episode. I wanted to skip to a scene with him getting his head back into the game....but... he never did :/

to the manga readers, please tell me he gets his act together before it's too late.
Feb 14, 2015 7:21 PM

Jul 2009
This hurt to watch, but that's what made it so good. I'm not a huge fan of main characters who are automatically geniuses and never fail at anything . This is good character development for Eijun.
Feb 14, 2015 7:23 PM

Apr 2014
This episode was so painful to watch. But the way Miyuki completely changed the mood after Raichi's home run was just ;__________;
I love him so much. Miyuki knows Eijun so well ;-;

THEY NEED TO BE THE MAIN BATTERY BEFORE MIYUKI GRADUATES... PLEASE...
Feb 14, 2015 7:46 PM
Jan 2013
It was a nice episode, but come on, Sawamura is getting worse by the episode.
Feb 14, 2015 8:03 PM

Mar 2012
Sawamura... what the fuck... loser!
Why the hell is he getting worse instead of getting better? *facepalm*
Feb 14, 2015 8:50 PM
Aug 2014
It was a frustrating watch. But I guess its a necessary wall he has to break. I hope we'll see him come back stronger
Feb 14, 2015 8:53 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
Dang, harsh people in here. Although I've highly enjoyed all the games throughout the series, this was probably my favorite part of the manga (though I haven't read too much past this arc or whatever you call it). It's not that Eijun is getting worse as much as it is more that he's traumatized. He didn't realize it before, and neither had Miyuki because they didn't need to be that precise in pitching until Yakushi. But like Miyuki said, Eijun needs more control against Yakushi than their previous opponents....and this is when they finally see there is a basis for Eijun's "lack of control" in the recent games. The more he thinks about getting that out, the more his subconscious avoids the strike zone or anywhere near the batter. Like I said, it's not that Eijun has no control, it's that he can't pitch inside anymore. And that is just the saddest thing, especially adding Kataoka's remark in the previous episode about how Eijun is just a relief pitcher. Don't hate on Eijun please :(

I laughed when Haruichi was disappointed that Eijun didn't do his usual thing. Though it's sad at the same time, because then you know something is wrong with Eijun
Feb 14, 2015 9:17 PM

Oct 2009
Woah so much harsh people xD

When you think about it since their 1st Yakushi game you can tell it bothered Eijun but he was working on that. With the Inajitsu game... deadball and all that completely destroyed him without him realizing it.

You also have to remember that Miyuki has been telling him to have better control after he became captain PLUS with Kataoka telling him that he's a relief pitcher and furuya pitching better (imo its boring as hell) pretty much fucked him over. The pressure of controlling his pitching, trying to get better plus being traumatized by the Inajitsu game lead to him not pitching inside anymore Q.Q

I like Eijun though, this is good development albeit slow but still you can always feel anxious and excited when he pitches. PLUS remember he is one of those types of characters that when they fall they do not recover easily.

AND since I read the manga... (Read if you dare)
SindiyahFeb 14, 2015 9:47 PM
Eijun is love. Eijun is life.

Feb 14, 2015 9:42 PM

Oct 2013
Ouch I agree with everyone! This was painful just painful.
Feb 14, 2015 10:07 PM

Jan 2014
Reading the manga, I was dreading this part of the anime pretty bad.

The good thing is now we get to see him get better and better. :)
Feb 14, 2015 10:10 PM

Feb 2012
Love this anime so much but ahh this episode was heartbreaking, I really wanted to see Sawamura doing his best but he is just going backwards. Want to read the manga but reading the spoilers were fine, I expect Sawamura to be amazing in the future~ ^.^
Feb 14, 2015 10:22 PM

Sep 2013
Can't believe I waited so much for this crap...

The way stuff is now I would rather start to read the manga... it would be less painful.
Feb 14, 2015 10:24 PM

Mar 2009
This is so tiring and frustrating. Also, Coach Kataoka is a dick.
Feb 14, 2015 10:29 PM
Nov 2010
So painfull to watch this one. They keep focusing on the idea that he is doing bad over and over.
Not good for the health boys
Feb 14, 2015 10:56 PM

Apr 2014
Jesus! this was excruciating to watch. Seeing Sawamura crumble under the pressure was just to unbearable to watch. I really hate that the mangaka is prolonging Sawamura's "underdog" status and fast tracking Furuya's rise to the top. I understand the reasons behind it but I just can't bare the thought of Furuya becoming the Ace over Sawamura. And what's with not even showing Kawakami some love...

Good episode overall but I hope Sawamura bounces back fast because at this rate it looks like Furuya will be wearing the #1 at the Fall tournament.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 14, 2015 11:54 PM

Aug 2009
Didn't quite like this episode, simply because Eijun was in a rut, realistic but difficult to watch. I ended up skimming through the last half of the episode and then I was done. Hopefully he doesn't stay down for too long, I miss the hyperactive Eijun and I'm ready for him to shine. Still love Furuya as well though.

Feb 15, 2015 1:50 AM
Jun 2008
this anime is getting seriously fucking depressing.

I want sawamura to stop being a little fucking bitch.
Dont be a chitogetard!!!!
Feb 15, 2015 2:52 AM
Feb 2012
Once again we're reminded of just why Raichi should be this show's main character. Sawamura AGAIN is going through a phase of self-pity and questioning his everything. In other words no development at all for that wimp of a pitcher. After almost 70 fucking episodes.

Furuya on the other hand underwent a grand character development and is deservedly the team's ace.
The release of atomic energy has not created a new problem. It has merely made more urgent the necessity of solving an existing one. - Albert Einstein
Feb 15, 2015 2:53 AM

Jul 2012
so sawamura is a shitty pitcher after all wtf author
Cty Best mid
Feb 15, 2015 3:28 AM

Jan 2012
oh god poor Sawamura :( And the last pitch just killed it... seems like he's not going to pitch before a long while after this ><
Feb 15, 2015 4:31 AM

Jul 2014
Furuya becoming the ace confirmed !!

I feel so sorry for Sawamura but it can't be helped. The power of mangaka is so strong.

I lost my enjoyment watching this animu *_*
Feb 15, 2015 5:17 AM

Apr 2011
Oh wow, you guys are such geniuses. Any of you know Lionel Messi? Slated by many to be one of the world's best footballer's in history (if not the best) and yet he was putting on terrible performance after terrible performance for a good period last year. Why? Because his confidence was shot. Why am I saying all this here? Because Sawamura is going through the same fucking thing, but apparently you guys want an infallible MC like Kagami or Kuroko (no other series is coming to mind at the moment).

EDIT: Oh, I forgot to mention. Messi recently overcame his confidence problem and guess what? He's been unstoppable recently. Just saying.
Feb 15, 2015 5:39 AM

Jul 2012
yhunata said:
Oh wow, you guys are such geniuses. Any of you know Lionel Messi? Slated by many to be one of the world's best footballer's in history (if not the best) and yet he was putting on terrible performance after terrible performance for a good period last year. Why? Because his confidence was shot. Why am I saying all this here? Because Sawamura is going through the same fucking thing, but apparently you guys want an infallible MC like Kagami or Kuroko (no other series is coming to mind at the moment).

EDIT: Oh, I forgot to mention. Messi recently overcame his confidence problem and guess what? He's been unstoppable recently. Just saying.

but but its 70 episodes already
Cty Best mid
Feb 15, 2015 6:17 AM

Apr 2011
Kurokokoy said:
but but its 70 episodes already

All I'm saying is that expecting a rookie pitcher to throw a deadball (straight at the face) in the final of a tournament and then expecting him to just walk it off is pretty terrible as you're asking for little character development.
Feb 15, 2015 6:40 AM

Jan 2010
Worst episode ever poor sawumara, But this must be yips, it was like the same for goro from major, altough he overcame his yips and so wil sawumara so stop complain guys
Gokussj4thebestFeb 15, 2015 7:46 AM
Feb 15, 2015 6:53 AM

Sep 2012
The fact that I felt really uncomfortable watching that episode means this show is doing a great job. People are saying no character development? Sawamura is constantly getting developed which is something I don't see happen that much with main characters.
Feb 15, 2015 7:13 AM

Dec 2009
Has no one here heard of yips? Anyways, he is traumatized after the dead ball in the final, and thus he can't throw any inside pitches. This can be cured though, but it's apparently very hard.

It's kinda weird tho that you guys can't handle some downfall of the main character. Try Major, a great series, but it's plagued with injuries all the time.
Feb 15, 2015 7:35 AM

Mar 2011
Wow, most of the people here just really want to see too-OP-without-reason MCs, I see. The anime's at 69 episodes now, I would've thought people have started realizing that this isn't Kuroko no Basket.

Anyway, this episode was really painful to watch. I feel sorry for Sawamura, but I'm not surprised, really. There's no way that dead ball at the Inashiro game didn't affect him in any way. This was gonna happen soon enough. So meanwhile he's suffering from the yips, it's Furuya's time to shine, alright.

I'm sure Eijun's gonna get through this.

I just want to add here that even though it's really slow and different compared to other sports anime of its time, it is Diamond no Ace that's the most emotional, painful, and definitely realistic. The character development sure takes time, but it's worth it.
Feb 15, 2015 8:52 AM

Jan 2011
onoda said:
Wow, most of the people here just really want to see too-OP-without-reason MCs, I see. The anime's at 69 episodes now, I would've thought people have started realizing that this isn't Kuroko no Basket.

*Nods in agreement.*
I'm so disappointed by everyone who complains about Sawamura getting worse. Of course he is getting worse, that's only natural considering everything that happened to him so far. He's a human being (albeit an animated one), wake up people!
Everyone constantly goes through their ups and downs (and not only in sports). What's more, all those negative experiences and pressure Sawamura's accumulated recently is just making his current "down" period even harder to overcome.
Feb 15, 2015 8:56 AM

Jul 2009
Watching Tetsu cry was easier than watching this. That's how painful this was to watch. Poor Eijun.
Feb 15, 2015 9:03 AM

Apr 2011
For anyone that's still butthurt about Sawamura playing second fiddle to Furuya:

Open at your own risk.
Feb 15, 2015 10:08 AM

Sep 2013
Of course we are mad at this. Sawamura is not the kind of kid who should have this problem for so much time. He is not a weak character and this just feels way too stupid considering how long this is lasting. And for fuck's sake, they only realized he can't pitch in a certain way NOW? Didn't they play a bunch of friendlies? What did they do in those games? Did they not test their players in them?
Feb 15, 2015 11:14 AM

Apr 2011
Wintovisky said:
Of course we are mad at this. Sawamura is not the kind of kid who should have this problem for so much time. He is not a weak character and this just feels way too stupid considering how long this is lasting. And for fuck's sake, they only realized he can't pitch in a certain way NOW? Didn't they play a bunch of friendlies? What did they do in those games? Did they not test their players in them?

Why should he not have yips? He's a rookie that threw a dead ball at the face in the penultimate inning of the final match which eventually led to their defeat. It would be weird if he didn't have yips. As for why they didn't realise, they did. They just never knew to which extent. Do you not remember Miyuki telling Sawamura about his ball control being sloppy? Also, they were facing weak teams so he had a wider choice of pitches (i.e. outside pitches) available to him. Here, they're facing Yakushi who are monsters at batting and this is the clean-up trio, no less. Outside pitches are not even an option, plus the insane pressure that Furuya piled on him earlier on which made his state of mind even worse.
Feb 15, 2015 12:27 PM

Sep 2008
I like that finally some screentime for Sawamura,
but damn it...
It was so hard to watch...
That ending...
Poor Sawamura...

Really... 70+ episodes and I feel like he return to be Sawamura from first episodes...
I know there will be good lession for him, character development...
but 3 years go... next year Miyuki will go and Sawamura isn't still ace and with this episode he just lose a chance to show that he is really good.

I know... not everyone likes flawless/powerfull MCs,
but damn it... 70 episodes, soon already season will end and I only can bring few episodes where Sawamura was really amazing and appreciated.

Episode after episode and I don't have such feelings like at the start were I couldn't wait to see next episode... now I just bring myself to watch it...
Feb 15, 2015 12:41 PM

Jun 2014
This was so harsh for Sawamura :(

Not raging like other people, he's still the MC, every fall he has we get a even greater comeback.

The more he suffers, the more worth it will be.

Littlestar : Miyuki is still second year for the upcoming tournament....
Feb 15, 2015 1:31 PM

Dec 2010
Very difficult to watch.
Feb 15, 2015 1:32 PM
Feb 2013
Oh boy, poor Eijun, c'mon everybody, collective hug !
Why the FU*** did I watched the preview ? Even more painful than this week episode ! ToT
Feb 15, 2015 1:33 PM

Jul 2011
Oh man, this anime wants to kill me.
Feb 15, 2015 2:07 PM

May 2012
Sawamura :'( <3

its hard to watch him like that

every time the make us hear his heartbeat that loud i was like No something bad is going to happen to him >__<

but he will come back stronger i believe in him <3

OVA 2 spoiler i guess
just 2 pic for Kuramochi

Feb 15, 2015 2:38 PM

Jan 2013
That was the worst thing I've ever seen.
This anime won't be long enough to get Eijun out of this.
Feb 15, 2015 3:00 PM

Mar 2012
Get your shit together, Sawamura.

Feb 15, 2015 4:07 PM

Mar 2013
This episode was really painful for me to watch. I have to say ,I was really disappointed in Sawamura. I really thought that he had broken through and was going to start anew. I love this anime because of Sawamura's endless desire to aim higher and always break through of his obstacles. I really wished it was him who was the ace, but at this pace and seeing those pictures, it is obvious to us that Furuya will be the ace. Please pull yourselves together Sawamura!!
Feb 15, 2015 4:51 PM

Nov 2010
I personally don't mind him falling a lot. I guess I was hoping for the typical "do bad and then do something well which will then help him" kind of thing. Here it was he does one thing bad, and then another, and then something worse, then worse and then hit rock bottom.

Also seriously what coach tells a player its his job as a relief to get ready. Thats like in other sports a coach telling subs to prepare themselves as subs. You want competition for the spots. You shouldnt tell them to their face that they are what they are.
Feb 15, 2015 5:52 PM

Jan 2014
I knew it...~!
There will be people who feel dissatisfied with the current development....
It can't be helped....it's depressing as it is now....
I remember I got confused and frustrated while reading the manga too....but...
This will give Eijun a great development, just be patient people....

Feb 15, 2015 6:04 PM

Sep 2013
yhunata said:
Wintovisky said:

Why should he not have yips? He's a rookie that threw a dead ball at the face in the penultimate inning of the final match which eventually led to their defeat. It would be weird if he didn't have yips. As for why they didn't realise, they did. They just never knew to which extent. Do you not remember Miyuki telling Sawamura about his ball control being sloppy? Also, they were facing weak teams so he had a wider choice of pitches (i.e. outside pitches) available to him. Here, they're facing Yakushi who are monsters at batting and this is the clean-up trio, no less. Outside pitches are not even an option, plus the insane pressure that Furuya piled on him earlier on which made his state of mind even worse.

I am not saying he can't, I am saying it's taking too long. Like you said, he was doing badly in the previously friendlies, so the least the team could do is investigate the reasons behind it, I guess.

Well, since I know shit about baseball I guess my opinion is irrelevant anyways lol.
Feb 15, 2015 7:50 PM

Jul 2011
LittleStar said:
Episode after episode and I don't have such feelings like at the start were I couldn't wait to see next episode... now I just bring myself to watch it...

I can't agree more. This series has become boring after a promising start. Now Sawamura will be back more stronger for sure because it's a shounen series after all but how many episodes we will have to wait until this series becomes enjoyable again? My patience is running out.
Feb 15, 2015 9:12 PM

Jun 2014
1 out of 5: Hated it

i loved this show in the beginning. i had it rated 10/10 most of the time, but it just keeps getting worse.
the pacing is AWFUL, they repeat way to much and do the same thing over and over.
and to not end this anime after the nationals was the WORST DECISION EVER.
now that the skillful 3rd years are gone, there is nothing left.
if they didn't win it with them, there is no way they will win it in the upcomming years.
all that remains are Furuya,Haruichi,Kazuya Miyuki and Kuramochi. even if you add the loser sawamura, when he finally gets himself together again, it will NOT be enough to win next time.
but they intend to make them win. i am a 100% sure, but that's just not realistic, though the story will be shitty just like the storytellers. if they intend to make them win they shouldn't have brought up a new coach, but instead a REALLY REALLY skilled clean up hitter and fielder (new 1st year or transfer student). that's the only realistic way for them to come up at the top without ruining the story any further. but sadly they'll not do it that way. i am sure they'll let the other 1st and 2nd year scum get . way better and the pitchers won't just get better, they'll get exceptionally good, especially sawamura.
but sawamura is just scum. he's not smart, has no willpower at all and his state of mind is shit. he doesn't deserve to be one of or the best in the end. the producers are trying to make the story of Mei Narumiya and Sawamura alike (both fail in the crucial moment, the moment of truth. sawamura fails in the final game to QUALIFY for the nationals on the other narumiya fails in the final game of the nationals. so even though he is a first year he made it into the finals of the NATIONALS as a first year and with a line up mostly out of first years) , they just make their failures alike so they can justify the immense growth which sawamura will have. but they are nothing alike, i won't let them get away with it. it's true that narumiya was in a slump after his failure too, BUT he was an exceptional remarkable player even before and he got out of his slump just by himself in just a short amount of time and grew even stronger, instead sawamuras slump takes soooo long and he doesn't seem to overcome it even with help, also it seems that it's getting worse and acts like a pathetic crybaby. Narumiya also has unwavering resolve, a good state of mind and always wants to improve. and this fucking cocky, arrogant little brat sawamura dares to say that he's not the relief pitcher but the ace? that he's not worse than furuya, but better? he's getting delusional. i like furuya, but i hate to say it, if this show isn't a total unrealistic piece of shit they both will never get better than narumiya, he's already to far ahead and improves even faster then they do, it wouldn't make any sense for them to catch up, but sadly unskilled moron storytellers like to fuck up storys, i take that very personal.
seidou did lose everything. they've just 3 players who are really outstanding haruichi,furuya and miyuki and a catcher can't even effect the game that much.
on the other hand yakushi didn't really lose anyone and inashiro just lost the catcher/clean up and the relief pitcher, maybe one 3rd year batter not worth mentioning more, i don't know, but the key players who were all 2nd years like narumiya remain. that's how it is. if you are rational and logic there is no good and logic way for seidou to get to the nationals or even win the nationals
AND
the worst thing about all that is, that the anime is already ending this march, so there is no way at all that the ending is even a bit reasonable.

don't force yourself to hold back, you can start to hate on me now and say stuff like 'that's just your stupid opinion' , 'this show is great and has no flaws, you are dumb' , 'no one cares you moron' , 'no one forces you to watch it'
but in the end you know that i am right, even if you don't want to admit it because of the mindless fandom
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Diamond no Ace Episode 63 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Dec 27, 2014

128 by RKASHYAP621 »»
Apr 17, 10:57 AM

Poll: » Diamond no Ace Episode 61 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 20, 2014

73 by RKASHYAP621 »»
Apr 14, 4:45 AM

Poll: » Diamond no Ace Episode 60 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 13, 2014

50 by RKASHYAP621 »»
Apr 14, 4:20 AM

Poll: » Diamond no Ace Episode 59 Discussion

Stark700 - Dec 6, 2014

40 by RKASHYAP621 »»
Apr 14, 3:51 AM

Poll: » Diamond no Ace Episode 57 Discussion

Stark700 - Nov 22, 2014

42 by RKASHYAP621 »»
Apr 14, 2:46 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.