Forum Settings
Forums

Comment on the list of the member above you. (Manga Ver.)

New
Pages (9) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Dec 9, 2009 11:34 AM

Jun 2007
...WHY DOES EVERYONE POST IN THIS FUCKING THREAD RIGHT NOW!? FOR FUCK'S SAKE!!!!11!1!!

_Bael

Again, nine is the magic number, despite you having eight days on me. I need to read and grade more mainstream titles, clearly.

Well, from what we've both read, you have an average of 9.3/10. Not good - way too high.

Ai Yori turned me off after the first volume. The story sort of seemed complete then... but, instead of remaining that way, the couple moved into a house and the usual harem female members joined in. I don't know... it kind of bored me. Not 10/10 material.

Chobits I can kind of understand you 10ing - it was my first manga, and I rated it 9/10 back then. However, the ending is weak and left the series with an incomplete feel, and what came before was hardly jaw dropping.

Dragon Ball is ok, but highly repititive and lacks truly likeable characters. Fun, sure, but no more than that.

...Really, the only score I can agree with is your LH 10/10, and even then I feel it has too many flaws to get top marks.

I will say that your list design is nice and easy on the eyes. But, again, I can't help but point out that an average of 9/10 (completed) is too high. You have like 20-30 10's on your completed list, and nothing below 5/10!
Dec 9, 2009 2:08 PM

Jul 2008
style:
blue on black is not the best colour, but still readable
maybe less opacity on the list background

background pic is ok, but too small, maybe a fade to black at the edges to compensate the size

----
Aionic said:

Well, from what we've both read, you have an average of 9.3/10. Not good - way too high.
[...]
But, again, I can't help but point out that an average of 9/10 (completed) is too high. You have like 20-30 10's on your completed list, and nothing below 5/10!

hmmm... nearly all Manga I have read I have bought, so, why should I spend money for stuff, which is, imho, not good?^^

Aionic said:

Ai Yori turned me off after the first volume. The story sort of seemed complete then... but, instead of remaining that way, the couple moved into a house and the usual harem female members joined in. I don't know... it kind of bored me. Not 10/10 material.

yeah, it looks like the typical harem show, but I don't think so, it's, how should I say, hmm more 'adult' I would say. ok, the end has too much drama, but I have it assiduously overlooked while rating^^

Aionic said:

Chobits I can kind of understand you 10ing - it was my first manga, and I rated it 9/10 back then. However, the ending is weak and left the series with an incomplete feel, and what came before was hardly jaw dropping.

yeah, the end is so typical, it could be better, but in some way fit it to the story
--

a 9 for Naruto, eh...

your 'plan to' list have some interesting entries, but with this length is it nothing special ;P ^^
Dec 9, 2009 3:05 PM

Aug 2008
_Bael:

Shared works:
Looking at what we share is like looking at my manga past. CLAMP, 3x3 Eyes, Love Hina, Yuki Kaori, Hikaru no Go, Alichino.. how odd that's the majority of what we share. I've mostly "moved on," but they are all an important part of my manga roots. :3

List:
Nice and readable. I like it when I can read it without squinting against colors.

Scores:
High scores, yes. I'm relieved you gave a lower score to TWEWY at least.. I hated that one. ^_^;;

Favs:
I can understand X. Again, an essential part of my manga past. :) I don't like TRC though.
Dec 9, 2009 4:38 PM

Feb 2008
shinkeikaku:

- Your list is massive. And there is a lot of bl and shoujo titles. You also seem to enjoy quite a few works by Clamp, your favorite being Tokyo Babylon. I've got that one on hold at the moment. Having trouble getting into it. I find it very confusing. But maybe it gets better. Or perhaps it's just not for me xD

- The style is nice :) It's easy to read and the colors don't assault my eyes. I like the background too.

- I'm glad I'm not the only bl reader who thought Totally Captivated was totally bad. Also really refreshing to see another who isn't head over heels for Junjo Romantica. I'll never understand the popularity of those two titles when there are so many better choices in the genre.

- We both gave Beauty Pop a 6. You haven't finished it yet and I'd advise to drop perhaps. It's ending is very unsatisfying. I also found that the characters remained pretty static throughout.

- Overall scores are pretty balanced and consistent. A few I disagree with but nothing really jarring.
Dec 9, 2009 4:48 PM

Jul 2008
LucySky's list rocks.

I can't write anything besides that, since our compatibility is so high, anything negative would be a bad reflection on my own taste. Her list, being relatively large, and covering a number of different genres, is an informative guide for what is worthwhile reading and what is not.

Well, with the exception of YKK. It sucked hardcore, and is easily the most overrated manga/anime ever, yet she gave it a 10. No good.
Dec 9, 2009 5:37 PM

May 2008
@YoungVagabond

Not much to say about the actual look of the list, no background or any CSS scripting :/

Otherwise, you have pretty decent taste and I agree with most of your ratings, well aside from you giving Yokoham Kaidashi Kikkou a 4.
Dec 9, 2009 5:47 PM

Mar 2009
saintcross

Neat, easy to read but the background gets in the way, unfortunately and fairly interesting tags.

Quite many Plan To Read. Our compatibility is medium high.

Your rating for Doubt is a little surprising. I know some people thought the ending was retarded but it's still great anyhow in my opinion. Your rating for Goth too, is a little lower than I expected. I think Goth's one of the best one-shots out there.

KHR an 8. I think it's good, but not awesome. Can't comment much since I'm not up to the latest chapter yet. I agree with your Naruto rating.
Dec 9, 2009 10:51 PM

Jun 2008
nice list....the background is pretty good(not the biggest death note fan but meh)...you have a good amount of variety amoung your manga list....and not questionable scores....overall a good list
Dec 10, 2009 4:19 AM

Jan 2009
76ers-kid

You are incredibly versed in reading material and your list template seems to be well structured and legible.
Dec 11, 2009 7:46 PM

Jun 2007
76ers-kid:

Someone I share more than ten titles with. Happy days.

62.7% || 8.1 (you) vs 7.9 (me)

The percentages on MAL appear to defy logic more often than not. I'm 75% with someone else who's seen around the same number, scoring far more harshly... yet I'm only 60% with you.

Alive: I have no clue how you scored it 9/10. Characterization, plot twists, action, sex... WHERE!? All I got was a plot about the root of all evil infecting someone who ate a monkey - an evil named "Black." I would not EVER let the mangaka of alive name a baby, or even a dog.

GTO: I think you're the first person I've seen when comparing e-penis sizes to have given it a 10/10. You're like a brother to me now. (I'd prefer a sister, but I'll roll with it.)

...I can't see much else to add. Our only huge difference is the four point Alive gap, and the rest are mostly single pointers. Alive aside, you clearly have good taste. Assuming your grammar and/or grandma is better than it appears to be in this thread, we should hook-up and exchange comments.

Moving onto your list itself, it's dull. Beyond adding grey, you've done fuck all with it. Easy to read but not at all pretty.

You aren't 10/10 crazy and have an average of 7.2 for your completed section. Sweet.

I want to read Suzuka. I kind of liked the anime, and it was a bummer how it ended without ending anything. If not for it costing no less than £7 x a lot of volumes to buy, I'd be on it like a pervert who saw scans with nipples on Danbooru.
Dec 11, 2009 8:08 PM

Jan 2008
Anime: 7/10
Nice long list but mostly not my genre and too much on hold. Why don't you watch some of that.

Manga: N/A
I don't read much so...
Dec 11, 2009 8:25 PM

Jun 2007
BRS_CHIYO said:

Manga: N/A
I don't read much so...

Considering the title, I could very easily play the bad guy here.

...I sure get sick of playing the good guy.
Dec 11, 2009 9:59 PM

Aug 2009
has completed more mangas than i have
we share 7 manga
and
he has read 2 chapters of manga yesterday
i feel very lazy for making this post from seeing the first page
EitraDec 11, 2009 10:03 PM
Dec 12, 2009 4:30 AM

Mar 2009
ArtieBoy

Your currently reading list has 20 entries. Still reading Naruto huh, I gave up on it around chapter 200-something.

You seem quite generous in dishing out 10's though not overly done.
Dec 12, 2009 1:40 PM

Nov 2009
AlexisSolitaire

Well, you got a really long list of manga, though not of them seem to be 10's, but i saw you plan to read rurouni kenshin, and i highly recommend it, definitely a classic.
Dec 12, 2009 2:48 PM

Jan 2009
FlameAlchemist12

Your manga list lacks depth, I could recommend you titles that at the very least pose something of intellectual value and merit, though in the end; you more than likely won't take heed to anything I say.

All I can tell you is read "alternative" manga titles, serializations that are outside the genres immediate popularity. Authors like Jiro Matsumoto, Asano Inio, and Naoki Yamamoto have all composed great works of art, begin your search now and indulge some material aimed at the more mature.

Your list lacks design as well
Dec 12, 2009 3:22 PM

Sep 2009
Beautiful design!
Wow, you've got so many reading entries and not a single manga dropped.
There's lots of good seinen manga that I definitely have to read (Akira, Mushishi, GitS)
Also, a reasonable average of 7.8/10.
I give a 10 to Watashitachi no Shiawase na Jikan too, a true work of art, one of my favourites.
Dec 12, 2009 10:41 PM

Aug 2009
-LU-
A music note replaced my mouse >=(
we only share 2 mangas
You have finished way more manga than i have
you give out alot of 8's XD
You like one shots
and it seems like u like romantic mangas XD

AlexisSolitaire said:
ArtieBoy

Your currently reading list has 20 entries. Still reading Naruto huh, I gave up on it around chapter 200-something.

You seem quite generous in dishing out 10's though not overly done.
Lol yea the 10's just really means enjoyment. i lower them from time to time
Dec 12, 2009 11:17 PM

Oct 2007
Pretty interesting list...a lot of the stuff on yours is stuff I've considered reading, but didn't get around to it, so at least some of our interests are the same. What I see is mostly shonen/seinen manga. Most of your manga is on the more serious end, but looks like you enjoy comedy too.

Some good manga in plan to read. Just finished Pluto yesterday, was pretty good. Can't comment on all, but Zetman, Monster, Hellsing and GTO should be awesome.

Is ookami no monshou really that good? I read the first chapter or so and, aside from the bloodshed, felt like I was reading shoujo/josei or watching something like Twilight because of the focus on how mysterious and powerful this guy was from the woman's perspective. Could be just the drawing style...don't really remember.
Dec 13, 2009 1:26 AM

Aug 2009
Your reading 26 manga. a good amount i of them i never heard of but sounds interesting
We got similar taste in seinen manga. but your list is pretty unique to me since i dont know half of the manga on your list. You also Don't give out alot of 10's
& same with me, a lot of the stuff on yours is stuff I've considered reading, but didn't get around to it, (Oddly enough)

"Some good manga in plan to read. Just finished Pluto yesterday, was pretty good. Can't comment on all, but Zetman, Monster, Hellsing and GTO should be awesome."
Thanks for the heads up ill go into them with high expectations =)

Just keep reading wolf guy till like chapter 7 and if your not digging it you can put it down. but i really just read the manga to see what the main character will do next. i still really cant say were the manga is going in terms of the story. but its pretty interesting
EitraDec 13, 2009 1:49 AM
Dec 13, 2009 2:31 AM

Nov 2007
ArtieBoy: Not much manga on your list. It seems to be mostly entry-level shonen and seinen. It's good to read the basics before moving on to more obscure series I guess.

You seem to have enjoyed Skyhigh so why not check out Tsutomu Takahashi's other manga as well? Jiraishin in particular may be to your liking.
Freesia, Akira Lone Wolf and Cub, Sangokushi, Eden: It's an Endless World and Parasyte fit your tastes as well.

While not necessarily action-oriented the following are very suspenseful titles you may like: Ikigami, Sanctuary, MW, Ode to Kirihito and Buddha.

Try to look at the recommendations for series that you like so you can learn about new titles that you may not normally come across otherwise.

For me, please don't comment on the style or look of my list as I couldn't care less about that. I use the feature for organizational purposes rather than to be fashionable.
DanishDec 13, 2009 2:42 AM
Dec 13, 2009 2:38 AM

Mar 2009
Corrupt_Id

Just based on your Currently Reading list, I can see we don't read the same titles that much. You've got a hell of a Plan To Read list.

You seem to have really liked Blame Academy. I thought they were good, but not awesome. 6 for Death Note. I personally thought it was a masterpiece though it was quite wordy at times, but the details were well-explained. Our ratings for shared manga are quite different.
Dec 13, 2009 5:43 AM

Jun 2007
Note: Do me a favour - if you reply directly to my post, either comment/message me or rule your post out of the game. It's fairly annoying; to get over-looked because someone defends themselves, that person not even bothering to counter-list comment. I'm not looking to argue, anyway - I'm simply expressing my honest views.

Corrupt_Id:

When I saw your username, I remembered you from a thread I made - we agreed. I also remembered you're fond of Gankutsuou.

...Then, I saw our percentage - 35.6%. We're only 2-3% higher than with someone who, quite possibly, has the worst taste on MAL.

You rated NHK 8/10, Alive 8/10 (covered already), Dragon Ball 8/10, Gankutsuou 7/10, Ranma 7/10 and other similar titles fairly high. However, you also rated Onani 1/10 and Bleach 1/10.

Want to know the problem with this? Quite simply, you've screwed up your own scoring system by throwing logic out of the window, opting instead to do the childish thing and attempt to adjust the averages by, rather than being fair, instead giving the lowest scores possible to undeseriving titles.

Let's look at NHK. You gave it 8/10 - the same score as me. I'd usually say fair enough, but not when you scored Onani 1/10. How can you score two similar psychological dramas so differently? The NHK manga is even the worst version of the NHK story because of its amount of filler and poor finale. It makes zero sense. Without looking at your list, I can only assume you rated it 1/10 after a few chapters; before it transformed from DN parody/comedy to one of the hardest-hitting stories you'll encounter. And if you didn't, instead scoring it low after reading a lot, then there's truly no hope.

There are 1/10 titles out there. For example, Gankutsuou could get a 1/10 for being a terrible adaptation of one of the best anime ever created, complete with storyboard level art. Of course, with you making every attempt to defy logic (and annoy me!), you rated it 7/10, and I can assume that's because of Gankutsuou fanboyism when comparing it against your other scores.

As for Bleach, I'm not its biggist fan, nor am I a hater. I'm somewhere in-between; someone who thinks it's got old but still reads it for fun every now and then. But, lover, hater or whatever I am, I can't agree with you 1/10ing it when you scored DB 8/10 and Naruto 6/10. Seriously, how's that work out? Bleach isn't by any stretch of the imagination a classic - it's a typical shounen - but it has one of the best shounen arcs (SS), very nice art, cool characters and decent humour. Sure, I'm sure it gets worse the further you get, but it isn't impossible to award it an objective 1/10.

Another rating of yours that irked me is your 5/10 of Goth. If you've read the novel, I can understand as it cuts/changes things that'd upset a purist... but, assuming you haven't, then I can't see how it's a fair score. In terms of single volume manga, you won't see much better - its dark/disturbing vibe being rare - and the character artwork is impressive throughout.

...I think you get the picture without me drawing any more. While most of our ratings aren't that different, the few that our ruin your ratings in my eyes because, put alongside your other ratings, they simply aren't fair. There's no anti-shounen or anti-p. drama pattern; you just throw around low scores for the fun of it.

As for your actual list, it's fairly basic, with what looks like (can't see clearly) abstract art as your background.
You've read a lot that I plan on, one day, reading. Of your completed 9-10/10's, Nijigahara Holograph and Solanin (in post!) are titles I'll read soon(ish) because of their length, and longer titles like Blame! and 20th Century Boys will probably get a look-in... one day.

-------------

AlexisSolitaire:

We're at 44%, and that's down to you seeming to have a point to prove; low-scoring Bleach and Naruto. I guess awarding those two low scores is a way of expressing maturity on MAL...

On the plus side, out of our 13 shared titles, we have 4/13 matches. I can't agree with your 9/10's for Doubt and Negative Chainsaw, but I'm feeling too lazy to add any more than that at the moment.

Your background isn't nice on the eyes, at all. Bright red and yellow, on a dark, repeating DN background. Do not want.
I see you've read a lot of one-shots. I prefer short series rather than single chapters; there's more time to 'feel out' the story/characters.
AironicallyHumanDec 13, 2009 5:48 AM
Dec 13, 2009 9:26 AM

Jan 2007
I don't have any complains about the list style,i like the blue text on the black background,easy to read,also i like reading the Tags you wrote,even if i myself would hate writing them for my list.

Our compatibility is relatively low,only 55% but it does not seem like we share that many manga titles,21, you seem to be a romance/slice of life fan while i am not,i can't say i enjoy manga from the romance genre that much but i have yet to really give it a chance, still i definitely plan on reading some manga that can be found on your list,for example: Gunsalinger Girl, Monster, Believers, Bradherley's Coach, Harukana Machi-E...

As for recommendations,try some of Taiyo Matsumoto's manga ,not sure it will suit your tastes,but still.
Dec 13, 2009 7:33 PM

Nov 2007
Aionic said:
Corrupt_Id:

When I saw your username, I remembered you from a thread I made - we agreed. I also remembered you're fond of Gankutsuou.

...Then, I saw our percentage - 35.6%. We're only 2-3% higher than with someone who, quite possibly, has the worst taste on MAL.

You rated NHK 8/10, Alive 8/10 (covered already), Dragon Ball 8/10, Gankutsuou 7/10, Ranma 7/10 and other similar titles fairly high. However, you also rated Onani 1/10 and Bleach 1/10.

Want to know the problem with this? Quite simply, you've screwed up your own scoring system by throwing logic out of the window, opting instead to do the childish thing and attempt to adjust the averages by, rather than being fair, instead giving the lowest scores possible to undeseriving titles.

Let's look at NHK. You gave it 8/10 - the same score as me. I'd usually say fair enough, but not when you scored Onani 1/10. How can you score two similar psychological dramas so differently? The NHK manga is even the worst version of the NHK story because of its amount of filler and poor finale. It makes zero sense. Without looking at your list, I can only assume you rated it 1/10 after a few chapters; before it transformed from DN parody/comedy to one of the hardest-hitting stories you'll encounter. And if you didn't, instead scoring it low after reading a lot, then there's truly no hope.

There are 1/10 titles out there. For example, Gankutsuou could get a 1/10 for being a terrible adaptation of one of the best anime ever created, complete with storyboard level art. Of course, with you making every attempt to defy logic (and annoy me!), you rated it 7/10, and I can assume that's because of Gankutsuou fanboyism when comparing it against your other scores.

As for Bleach, I'm not its biggist fan, nor am I a hater. I'm somewhere in-between; someone who thinks it's got old but still reads it for fun every now and then. But, lover, hater or whatever I am, I can't agree with you 1/10ing it when you scored DB 8/10 and Naruto 6/10. Seriously, how's that work out? Bleach isn't by any stretch of the imagination a classic - it's a typical shounen - but it has one of the best shounen arcs (SS), very nice art, cool characters and decent humour. Sure, I'm sure it gets worse the further you get, but it isn't impossible to award it an objective 1/10.

Another rating of yours that irked me is your 5/10 of Goth. If you've read the novel, I can understand as it cuts/changes things that'd upset a purist... but, assuming you haven't, then I can't see how it's a fair score. In terms of single volume manga, you won't see much better - its dark/disturbing vibe being rare - and the character artwork is impressive throughout.

...I think you get the picture without me drawing any more. While most of our ratings aren't that different, the few that our ruin your ratings in my eyes because, put alongside your other ratings, they simply aren't fair. There's no anti-shounen or anti-p. drama pattern; you just throw around low scores for the fun of it.

In regards to Onani and Bleach I gave them their respective scores because they are exactly what a score of 1 affirms: unreadable. In that case I should have every manga I dropped as a 1 right? Well yes and no. For example, I rated Vagabond a 7 yet I dropped it because there was no end in sight, the horrendous pacing and the fact that it didn't interest me very much. That's one main reason I drop things, not necessarily because they're bad but because they don't interest me.
But yes, I agree that my scoring methods are far from consistent; I'm also constantly going back and changing scores to things I've read in the past.

When I first read the NHK manga I would have given it a 9 but then I read the superior (in my eyes) novel and thereby lowered the score by one. Perhaps the way I related so closely to the main character of Satou influenced my opinion of it.

As for the Gankutsuou manga, on it's own it certainly is less than average. However it's a great supplementary work to the anime in my eyes. It adds an interesting change of perspective from the series. So the idea that's it is simply a supplement to the anime influenced my score greatly.

Next poster, please respond to Zero and not me.
DanishDec 13, 2009 7:36 PM
Dec 13, 2009 8:20 PM

Jul 2008
Aionic said:

Hehe. I think this pathetic, insecure tool means me.

I love how in his last post, he whines and bitches about Corrupt_Id's ratings (which are perfectly reasonable and consistent, by the way), which is the exact opposite of the whole focus and point of this topic.

A focus that Aonic wrote.

Focus

I think Zero has excellent taste, very close/similar to mine. Lots of thoughtful seinen, manga filled with swashbuckling adventure, and generally unique stories and art styles.

I've definitely picked up some good, worthwhile recommendations just from looking at his list before.

His theme is nice, calm, and doesn't give me a seizure with its bright colors. Good stuff.
YoungVagabondDec 13, 2009 8:23 PM
Dec 13, 2009 8:33 PM

Mar 2009
YoungVagabond
-nice putting Battle Royale as a favorite, I rented it from the library during the summer and it got added to the xmas list. I just need to obtain 3 more of the big volumes to have it all since I very much so think this one is worth owning (and i should have more than enough money to do so), although I personally wasn't terribly thrilled with the ending

-also has Detroit Metal City among favorites, I've read the first two volumes of it myself (plan to get the third for xmas as well), I enjoy it, but don't see it making it to my top 10 any time soon

-is also reading Liar Game, good choice

-you read a lot of different genres in general, but you seem to favor seinen heavily when it comes to ratings

-in the same way, you overall tend to favor action and/or violence over comedy and/or romance (for that reason, I'd perhaps consider reading Parasyte and/or Shin Angyo Onshi)

-you've never read Vagabond? given your name I'd have assumed...
Dec 13, 2009 8:45 PM

Jul 2008
classicalzawa said:

-in the same way, you overall tend to favor action and/or violence over comedy and/or romance (for that reason, I'd perhaps consider reading Parasyte and/or Shin Angyo Onshi)

A lot of people think this from only looking at my list, but it's not true. I absolutely loved Detroit Metal City, Mars, and Ohikkoshi. Akuma Love Song is also very good. I'm always on the lookout for great comedies and romantic stories.

Problem is, with the exception of the ones above, I haven't found many. What can I say? The Japanese are just a lot better when it comes to writing action/violence/psychological stories.

-you've never read Vagabond? given your name I'd have assumed...

Young Vagabond is a reference to Gegard Mousasi (pronounced similar to Musashi, hence the nickname), the man adorning my avatar and profile picture.

But yeah, I'm really looking forward to reading the manga.

Next poster respond to classicalzawa, not me.
Dec 14, 2009 3:37 AM

May 2009
classicalzawa-
A Reboot background, that brings back memories. I like the alternating colors for the information. Everything is easy to read. You really think that Castle in the Sky is the only watchable Miyazaki movie? I find that strange. We have a very high compatibility, too: 83.5%!
Dec 14, 2009 10:19 AM

Jul 2008
the background pic looks good, but too small
the list colour fits (nearly) to the pic, and it's readable

at first glance we share nothing...
but one title you read (Yotsuba&!) are on my plan to list (and another two title (Gunslinger Girl & Azumanga Daioh) are on my unofficial plan to list as candidates^^)

furthermore two titles on your plan to list I've read or currently read (Love Hina & xxxHOLiC both are worth reading)
Dec 14, 2009 11:39 AM

Mar 2009
_Bael
-you rate a lot of things a 10
-we only have 5 manga in common (well, 6 if you can count your "Plan to Read")
-so, looking at your top 5, you like X, which is a favorite on one of my friends, but I've never read it myself
-I got a good look at your collection pics (I have some on my page too), I'm thinking you have a lot of German releases that never came out in the states (Goldenboy for one makes me jealous as I enjoyed the OVA). A lot of the German editions have way prettier spines (like Cardcaptor Sakura to name one), and I see a lot of interesting side books (like the Angel Sanctuary Postkartenbuch, is that an artbook or does it actually have post cards?). I'm not familiar with most of the German companies, but since I see a Tokyopop spine there, I'm guessing you've imported a few here and there too. I like your collection, even if I might only be able to understand 1 out of every 3 sentences in the books themselves :P
Dec 14, 2009 6:47 PM

Jun 2007

Corrupt_Id said:
*edited out*

I salute you for not losing your temper, as I would if someone questioned my opinions with such... passion. When a person responds calmly, without swearing, it shows maturity. It's just too bad that, even though I understand that, I still get too annoyed to play nice when the roles are reversed.

If you found them to be unreadable and you see it as right to award 1/10 in such circumstances, fair enough. I would argue that, after viewing your DB, Naruto and NHK scores that your argument doesn't make any sense, but I'd just be repeating myself.

My brain works out scores a 'lil different. For example, I found Doki Doki (anime) to be be unwatchable, dropping it after three episodes and selling my DVDs on eBay to some Dutch fella. But, even though I hated it, I still only gave it 3/10; not 1/10. Why? Because I'll never know if it gets better and I see it best to not hand out top or bottom scores to unfinished series.

I'll just say this: if you dropped Bleach before the SS arc - assuming it'd be monster hunt after monster hunt - you made a mistake and you should've dropped it after its best arc instead. And as for Onani, you made an even bigger mistake if you judged it based on its first few chapters, not going beyond chapter 10.

I like the anime of NHK more than the novel and manga. The novel was a little too short, focusing too much on Satou's thoughts and the best character in NHK didn't even get a name. The TV series, on the other hand, added the best of the 'filler' from the manga and avoided including the worst because the manga wasn't finished. It ended up striking a near perfect balance - being longer than the novel and shorter than the manga.

And, finally, Gankutsuou: I ordered the first volume, was disgusted with the art/condensed mess of a story and quickly dropped it. I don't know why it was even released when all it does is butcher the anime.

classicalzawa:

My first thoughts are, you're (probably) female... yet you rated Mars 6/10 and Battle Royale 8/10. I think you're confused - more so than me; a guy who enjoys shoujo/josei.

Really, my only beef with you is your Mars score. You'll struggle to find a better shoujo; one that can even appeal to guys because of its in-depth characterization and 'real' characters. I don't get it.

I see you've given Maison Ikkoku 10/10, which is nice... but it took 160 chapters to reach its goal, moving at a snails pace. Going on your other scores - which are harsher than mine - it kind of surprises me you over-looked its flaws and seem to have been so critical elsewhere. Odd.

I can understand your 5/10 for Gyo, I'm ok with your 7/10 for Uzumaki, you gave Seizon the same score as me, Doubt the same score... etc, etc. Your only other stand-out score is your 6/10 for Apollo's Song - very harsh, even taking into account its poor art.

Your list is a little hard to read. Not impossible, but the background, together with your green/blue score colours, make it a bit of a pain.
I see you've read a lot of Tezuka's work. Cool. I plan on reading Phoenix at some point since the anime caught my interest and his shorter works are also obviously tempting. Also, I should receive Solanin in the post soon - here's hoping I like it more than you did!
Dec 14, 2009 10:49 PM

Nov 2007
Nice Hiroki Endo profile pics you have there. But your list itself s a little hard to read. And the giant tags are kinda awkward.

Seems like you like most things you read more than I do. Which is fine. Or perhaps we just have a different rating scale. At least I'm not seeing any consistent overrating even if I disagree with certain individual scores.

Also I see lots of seinen. Which is good. You really can't have too many seinen titles on your list, unless they're all moeblob eroge adaptations.

My list style is broken and I can't be bothered to fix it. Also, I don't rate everything I finish, and I don't plan to, so I don't need comments on that.
Dec 16, 2009 5:57 PM

Jun 2007
Hard to read because of the blue on black, or hard to read because of the text size? I actually increased the text size since first creating the thread...

Cheers - good to know someone appreciates it. For reasons not known to me, I find Endo's gloomy artwork very appealing. If my Eden 1-2 books haven't got lost in the xmas post - like my imported parcels seem to have - I'm looking forward to starting it and seeing more of his work. :)

For the most part, there's isn't much difference between us: we've rated around 50 of the same titles, and there's a small difference of 0.6. Not bad.

Most of our scores are within 1-2 points of each other. While, from my point of view, 7's for Bitter Virgin, Chrono Crusade, Death Note, etc are rather harsh coming from someone who scored Believers higher, I'm not going to jump down your throat. At least, unlike others, you haven't gone, "I dislike this, it's over-rated - imma give it a 1/10! HAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!"

We do agree about a fair few titles. You rate GTO higher than 14 Days, you rated Genshiken the same as me, you rated Tanpenshu the same, you rated Koi Kaze the same, etc etc. Really, aside from the odd 'Naruto - 5/10' and 'Love Hina - 6/10', we aren't that different at all.

You sure as hell have read/watched a lot - so much that it's difficult for me to comment when I don't even know the majority of the titles you have listed, or have interest in them.

Emma's on my hit list. I read the first volume awhile back and quite liked it. It didn't blow me away, in truth, but a romance with a difference - a historical setting - perfectly fine with me.
I quite liked NieA 7, and wasn't aware it had a manga. I guess I'll give that a go at some point, too, considering I 8/10ed the anime.
Dec 27, 2009 2:02 AM

Jun 2007
Dec 27, 2009 4:59 AM

Dec 2007
Heh, I considered bumping this yesterday, but didn't. Partially because I dread comments my list could get (I don't know how to use CSS to modify the style. Or at least, not to do that and end up with something decent. I have tried XD) and partially because I'm not really sure how to comment on someone elses list.
I'll probably end up writing something insanely long too :|
Ah well :)

I like your list design, its stylish, yet also simple.
Unlike whoever posted above, I think the blue/black works together well and makes it quite easy to read.
I admire your restraint for reading so few manga at a time, although it does look like you're making good use of the on-hold list ;)

As a random note, as one that stuck out to me - it amuses me somehow that your tags make it sound like you dislike Bleach so much when you've scored it so highly.
Same for the comments on Apollo's Song, and a couple of others.
I can't work out if you just can't rationalise your like of them, or if its a difference in opinion of how we see the rank scores :P

Skipping to what we have in common... it seems to be fairly little. You seem to rank things quite a bit higher than me, so its interesting to me that the common ground we do have (Solanin, Bradherley's, Lament of the Lamb, Claymore) is all stuff we've ranked highly, rather than stuff we don't like so much.
I'm going to put Mars and Confidential Confessions in there too, even though you ranked them slightly higher than me, because they were borderline for me :)
In part I'm just glad to have seen someone else who's read them, and note that you share my belief that the Mars sidestory is lacking compared to the series ^^

I hate your tags.
I should clarify though, because hate is too strong really.
I actually like the idea of using tags to give summaries. I can see how its definitely something that would make a persons list more viewable, informative and useful.
My problem doesn't come from what you've used your tags for, but how they end up as result of the way the list works.

There are two problems that strike me, the main one (to me) being the commas, that break, different parts, of what, you're writing, into separate tags.

As horrid as this suggestion might seem from a grammar point of view, you could consider swapping your fullstop and comma useage over.
That way, it would break your sentences into separate tags and stop them being split part way through when moused over. would look very odd when not moused over though :| Maybe you could 'accidently' avoid commas altogether? :(

The other 'problem' is a result of the alignment (I guess?) of tags vs the manga title. Because the title gets centred into the middle of the tags, and the tags are quite large,its very easy to keep reading into the next tag and not notice immediately that theres been a switch to a separate series because the next series title is so far down.
Which can be quite funny, actually. I have no idea if that sort of thing is changeable.
Dec 27, 2009 12:14 PM

Mar 2009
@Aionic
To explain some of my scores:
-Maison Ikkoku was one of my earlier manga and I still love it today, so it does have some nostalgic factor to me and it does have an actual conclusion (unlike her other series) done in a decent amount of time
-I just didn't like Apollo's Song as much as either MW, Phoenix, Astro Boy, or Ode to Kirihito, AS jumped around a bit too much at times and I just don't tend to prefer Tezuka for romance as everyone tends to fall in love instantly so that the story can progress.
-As for Mars, I'm just not really a romantic per se and high school romance in particular seems to annoy something buried deep in my mind as I rather ignored it during high school as a waste of time, so high school romance manga in general bothers me as I don't tend to find it either "cute" nor "romantic". That's another thing about Maison Ikkoku, they were older than high school. I'll admit I was a bit harsh on Mars, but I did enjoy her other series Eternal Sabbath (actually read that one before Mars), I just didn't really find myself enjoying Mars and I can't entirely say why. I don't call it bad though, I call it "not my cup of tea", there's really no logical reason why I didn't like it, it just didn't touch with me emotionally. I'm thinking it's because I tend to enjoy shojo sci-fi or horror more than shojo romance

Ephidel
-haven't actually read any of the ones you marked as favorites
-glad to see you're currently reading Banana Fish, I think it gets better as it goes on so not about to say anything about your 8 score, but you just might change it
-seem to be reading a lot of manga that were made after the anime/related to it (the Code Geass and Baccano! ones stand out at me)
-glad to see I wasn't the only one who didn't throw a 10 at Akira, like your score for it
-I've read maybe the first 5 chapters of Basara, since I'm not at my dorm (where I tend to do that sort of stuff), haven't read it in a while and the first chapters haven't quite shown me it's a "10" yet, but I'm hoping it's at least a 9 for me.
-you read a lot more shojo than I do, that's for sure
-you also preferred the Planetes anime to the manga (even though you scored them both high)
-gave Please Save My Earth a 9, that's a great series
-you've only read 3 volumes of Phoenix? Which ones?
-aww, you dropped Battle Royale? I really enjoyed that one, although it won't get any less violent or depressing as the series goes on.
-not a big Cro High fan it would seem
-it just looks like you drop or stall a lot more shonen/seinen than shojo/josei
Dec 27, 2009 5:44 PM

Dec 2007
I like your list colours, and they obviously match the picture well (although I can't say I like the picture that much. I don't know what its of or from though).
I will say that when you hover over a title on the purple background the link does sort of vanish into it though.
I also like how links turn purple when you click on them, although because I'm a bit dense that did confuse me a little to start with when I tried to work out why some were that colour ^^;
Your tags are... somewhat sparse.

On a manga front, our scores seem pretty similar, although its somewhat of a shame you dislike Clover so much. You aren't the first person I've come across to feel that way about it, but I don't suppose you'd mind sharing why? I'm honestly curious :)

I can see you've read quite a lot more Tezuka than I have, and I appreciate that you've actually scored the series.
Although I haven't read a lot of the ones you've read (yet) myself, it feels like quite often people who read Tezuka (erk, sorry for the generalisation) will rank all his stuff high or all his stuff low. It makes it quite awkward because it turns his work into a sort of mass, rather than individual stories, so its good to see someone truly differentiate between them. I'd passed over Kirihito before, but I might have to look into it now.

Also, I love your Tekkon Kinkreet score. I remember flicking through the old volumes when Viz had titled it Black and White and disliking the art and not being interested at all. There are so many things I've changed my opinon of over time that when I spotted the newly released Tekkon Kinkreet volume in Waterstones I was quite impressed by the look of it... but when I then flicked through the start of it, my opinions on it didn't seem to have changed at all so I never bought it.
What can I say. I've read a lot of opinions that run counter to mine on Tekkon, so its somewhat satisfying to see someone else feeling similarly (same as with Akira, I guess ^^).

As someone who has read What's Michael? and has the volumes on their shelves, I'm curious as to whether you think they're worth the money. I enjoyed Club 9 a lot, but the Michael volumes are so damn thin for the prices I see them at that I feel somewhat awkward about considering buying them.

I also spotted a PSME sequel on your list, and I have no idea how I missed that it had one. I knew it had some sort of side story going on in one of the Vivid Memories volumes (not sure if its one or two, I downloaded both the other day but didn't read them yet), but yeah, no clue there was a real sequel. Will need to hunt that out :)

I did briefly check our anime compatibility as you mentioned liking the Planetes anime more than the manga, and I can see that for the rest of it we seem to agree on rather little ^^;
I envy you for being able to make use of the 'full spectrum' of scores though. Its something I'm still struggling to do.

Random note: I like your collection pictures. And your cat ;)

And in reply to your comments:
(Spoilered because I wrote long replies)
EphidelDec 27, 2009 6:04 PM
Dec 31, 2009 1:43 AM

Jun 2007
Ephidel / older UK chick:

A yaoi as your #1 (;____________;), a manga by Emma's author as your #2 (looks good; I'm into the character design), and a manga I dropped after half a volume of sketchy/boring goings on as your #4. Interesting, if nothing else.

Well, you've sure as hell read a lot. Too much, really. But, as ever, because manga is so divergent compared to anime, we don't share 100 titles.

You rate lower than me; as you've said above. It's odd how, despite my low to mid 7 averages, people always go lower than me with their manga ratings. It makes me question why people read manga - they can't get much enjoyment out of it when they score it as lowly as they do!

I can't say I have any real issues with the majority of your scores, even though you go lower in most cases. The .hack novels, for example, are written so basic that it's understandable why someone would rate the series 5/10. And Togari is just a generic shounen, so someone not into Naruto and its ilk would naturally go lower than me. Etc, etc.

It hurts me to see you rated BOTH Love Hina and Maison Ikkoku 6/10. I can understand a girl 6/10ing Hina for its never-ending perverted humour, and Maison is slow-paced enough to get on the tits of a fair few people... but, usually, at least one of the two does it for readers.

Also, why the hell does a straight, not-so-manly guy such as myself seem to rate shoujo higher than its intended sex? Maybe I should've been born slightly differently...

Final comparison comments: it's nice to see someone else 8/10 LotL; someone who appreciates depressing and snail paced stories. It's also nice to see a female 8/10 Brad. Coach - I kind of assumed, with all the gang rape, it'd be too much for the majority of the fairer sex. I'm probably just being ever so slightly sexist, mind...

Your list: Unless it isn't loading for me, it's the basic one, aside from a few colour edits. Easy to read.
I view tags to be pointless when used correctly, so I disagree with your correct usage of list tagging.

There are too many titles for me to comment on, and there's more than likely an unhealthy helping of yaoi. Don't blame me for being lazy!

---------

Ephidel said:
I admire your restraint for reading so few manga at a time, although it does look like you're making good use of the on-hold list ;)

Unless we're taking 9-10/10 titles, I'm often AWFUL at finishing what I start. Sometimes the blame lies with me not having enough volumes, but more often than not it's down to my lack of motivation.

I can sit like a fucking robot at my PC - refreshing every so often - but if I have to read/watch something I tend to struggle. :(

As a random note, as one that stuck out to me - it amuses me somehow that your tags make it sound like you dislike Bleach so much when you've scored it so highly.P

In the case of Bleach, I'm negative mainly because I think I'll lower my rating the further I progress. It's only going to get less and less interesting as Kubo milks his prized cow for all he can.

It's the same deal with Claymore, where I was negative to show I prefer the anime, despite me 8/10ing. Like Bleach, I can see me 7/10ing somewhere down the line.

And, of course, sometimes I just feel like giving stupid rather than insightful comments. Most of my silly comments were made when I first started misusing the tags and had to tag like 40 titles at once. If I couldn't remember enough to be critical, I went for dumb instead. :)

I hate your tags...

There are two problems that strike me, the main one (to me) being the commas, that break, different parts, of what, you're writing, into separate tags.

As horrid as this suggestion might seem from a grammar point of view, you could consider swapping your fullstop and comma useage over.
That way, it would break your sentences into separate tags and stop them being split part way through when moused over. would look very odd when not moused over though :| Maybe you could 'accidently' avoid commas altogether? :(

Fuck you!... oh, wait!!!

Why does, it matter, how often, I use commas when people, shouldn't, treat my tags as, tags because, they aren't? I, don't, understand, your, issue...

I'm far too lazy to re-type them in a way that would work around commas. Sorry!
Dec 31, 2009 2:25 PM

Dec 2007
I've stuck spoiler tags around individual segments because I wrote an awful lot (as I tend to do when I talk to people :P).

My defense and/or replies.
People may choose whether or not they want to consider me the last person to post or not, I don't mind either way :)

Re: Favourites.

Re:Ratings (+ Love Hina, Maison Ikkoku, Lament, Bradherleys)

Re: My list and my tags.

Re: Re: Your tags ;)
EphidelDec 31, 2009 2:45 PM
Dec 31, 2009 2:43 PM

Oct 2009
Even though they have watched alot i only have 11 incommon?
Maybe its coz i havent watched that much ... gomen :(

You seem to have started bleach.. and gave it a 7? wow i was inlove with the series from the 1st second!!
But bloody hell he/she has read alot!! Shared (7) lol dont read much again ... gomen :(

You seem to be watching alot at the same time ... maybe you should finish something before starting anew one? ...unless your updo date offcourse x3

Maybe thats due to impatience? You perhaps enjoy short anime... whereas i am the opposite

Carry on with bleach... i promise you it gets REALLY GOOD!!... tho the manga is even better!! especially right now...*hint hint* aizen and ichigo going to have some fun time next chapter ... waaaaaaaaaaaaah O.o

Oh and one last thing ... DEFINATELY PICK UP ONE PIECE AGAIN!!!!
Dec 31, 2009 3:05 PM

Jun 2009
has a nice custom design and doesn't have that much completed.

LOL, and the title of the section of the manga you're reading is WATCHING in your manga list
Dec 31, 2009 3:14 PM

Mar 2009
iday12
-wow, we only share 2 manga in common? But we both have Liar Game in our favorites list :3
-your list colors are a strain on my eyes to read
-you mostly seem to complete one-shots, although you've got a lot of good titles on your plan to read list you should get to (like Battle Royale)
Dec 31, 2009 3:31 PM

Oct 2009
iday12 said:
has a nice custom design and doesn't have that much completed.

LOL, and the title of the section of the manga you're reading is WATCHING in your manga list

yep i didnt design that ... but i liked it anyway so i used it x3

For classicalzawa

...bloody hell you pretty mush share nothing with me O.o
and a 6 for bleach? ... pleahhhhh O.o
Dec 31, 2009 9:36 PM

Mar 2009
Ichigo bg. The fonts are okay.

You've dished out plenty of 10's already (too soon lol). As for Bleach, I think it pretty much went downhill since the arc where Ichigo and gang had to save that stupid bitch Orihime. The latest chapters are showing some development though.
Dec 31, 2009 9:37 PM

Dec 2009
^ THUMBS UP!@#!@
Dec 31, 2009 9:39 PM

Mar 2009
idipyoudipwedip said:
^ THUMBS UP!@#!@

Is that all you have to say?
Dec 31, 2009 9:41 PM

Dec 2009
AlexisSolitaire said:
idipyoudipwedip said:
^ THUMBS UP!@#!@

Is that all you have to say?

it said, comment, not 'write essay.'
:3

thumbs up is a compliment.
ebert and roeper do it all the time.
D:
Dec 31, 2009 9:42 PM

Mar 2009
Oh well, I just expected more than 1 sentence. As for your list, can't comment since it's currently 0 lol.
Dec 31, 2009 9:50 PM

Aug 2008
AlexisSolitaire:

General list comments--
The bright red and yellow text kinda hurts my eyes.. am I getting old..? Your scores seem reasonable.. good spread, not too many 9s and 10s. No need for tags?

For shared stuff--
I spy some Nakamura Asumiko--excellent! And Wild Cats was cute too. And I'm glad you don't seem to think highly of Junjo Romantica either. Oh and you've read Sora no Hito - Kakizaki Muku Tanpenshuu... good to see others reading some Ichiraci works. On your ptr, Seven Days is pretty good. :)
Pages (9) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Last anime you finished? V.2 ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

asandari - Mar 20, 2009

2691 by tinshard »»
18 seconds ago

» Combine your name with the above user's name to create a new one

KanaAoi - Nov 2, 2018

31 by KlldbyCuriosity »»
2 minutes ago

» Tag someone who stands out to you ( 1 2 3 4 )

removed-user - Dec 17, 2019

154 by IpreferEcchi »»
2 minutes ago

» Have you played the game above you? v4 ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kunii - Jul 20, 2021

5778 by Deyuko »»
4 minutes ago

» How often do you see the user above in the forums? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

lucasmrNd - Aug 20, 2021

6485 by Akuya »»
6 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.