Forum Settings
Forums

Best-Selling Shoujo Manga 'Hana Yori Dango' to Get New Series

New
Feb 10, 2015 4:09 AM

Nov 2007
Popular shoujo manga Hana Yori Dango by mangaka Yoko Kamio will be getting a new series titled Hana Nochi Hare: Hana Dan Next Season. The story will take place two years after the F4 (a group of four wealthy boys named "Flower Four") graduated, and will feature a new group of characters at Eitoku Gakuen.

The new series will be released digitally worldwide via the mobile app Shounen Jump+ in Japanese and the VIZ Manga App in English (titled Boys Over Flowers Season 2), as well as in South Korea. It will begin this Sunday, February 15th with 64 pages (some in color) and subsequent chapters will be published bi-weekly. The original 37 volumes of Hana Yori Dango will also be available to read for free on Shounen Jump+ (in Japanese) until the new series begins. Viz will make a special announcement regarding the series once enough users have shared their article.

Hana Yori Dango is one of the best-selling shoujo manga in Japan of all time, with over 61 million copies sold. It began serialization in Margaret in 1992 and finished in 2008. The manga received a TV anime adaptation in 1996, as well as numerous drama series and movies in not only Japan, but also in Korea, Taiwan, and even India.

Source: Anime! Anime!

Hana Nochi Hare: HanaDan Next Season on MAL
myanimelistllcFeb 14, 2016 3:24 AM
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Feb 10, 2015 4:17 AM
Lead Admin
Faerie Queen

Aug 2007
Hana Yori Dango was a complete series all-in-all so I don't see how they could make a sequel without a new cast. I've enjoyed Kamio Yoko's other works, such as Cat Street and Matsuri Special, so I'll be looking forward to seeing how this plays out...

The most interesting thing about this news for me, though, is that it will be publishing in Shounen Jump+. Shounen. Are they going to try to make this new series appeal more to both genders or will this be one of those shoujo-demographic-in-disguise manga that we see more and more?

I don't think I'm brave enough to re-read the whole 37 volumes (good luck to those trying to finish them before Feb 15th), but this may be incentive for me to take the jdrama for another spin. MatsuJun ♥
Feb 10, 2015 4:26 AM

Jun 2008
I didn't like the original series after reading some chapters or something, so maybe this is the chance to get into it.

Kineta said:
The most interesting thing about this news for me, though, is that it will be publishing in Shounen Jump+. Shounen. Are they going to try to make this new series appeal more to both genders or will this be one of those shoujo-demographic-in-disguise manga that we see more and more?

I don't think I'm brave enough to re-read the whole 37 volumes (good luck to those trying to finish them before Feb 15th), but this may be incentive for me to take the jdrama for another spin. MatsuJun ♥

I also wondered about that, but I suppose it's because there is no site like this just for shoujo manga, at least I cannot think of any at the moment.

It's not like the whole 37 volumes would be available until then, though. About 7 volumes are available for free for 24 hours.
Feb 10, 2015 4:38 AM
Lead Admin
Faerie Queen

Aug 2007
Face_Faith said:
I didn't like the original series after reading some chapters or something, so maybe this is the chance to get into it.
The plot is primarily your common Cinderella story, so it's mainly the characters that make or break the series. Once Domyouji starts to develop is also where the series as a whole starts to develop, I think. I actually appreciated the series more after I watched the jdrama (which, funnily enough, had less drama than the manga).

Face_Faith said:
I also wondered about that, but I suppose it's because there is no site like this just for shoujo manga, at least I cannot think of any at the moment.
I'm not sure about Shueisha without looking, but shoujo manga also has digital platforms such as Shogakukan's Mobile Flowers. For some reason I thought Margaret had some sort of web spin-off as well, but I'm likely misremembering.
KinetaFeb 10, 2015 4:42 AM
Feb 10, 2015 4:50 AM
May 2012
Ohhh F4........ The memories, man~
Feb 10, 2015 4:55 AM

Nov 2011
Kineta said:
Hana Yori Dango was a complete series all-in-all so I don't see how they could make a sequel without a new cast. I've enjoyed Kamio Yoko's other works, such as Cat Street and Matsuri Special, so I'll be looking forward to seeing how this plays out...

Yeah, I actually found that part to surprising as well.

I should probably start this in the future. Heard this is a prominent shoujo series with a good amount of chapters and popularity.
Feb 10, 2015 4:55 AM

Aug 2011
Maybe I should use this opportunity to read the manga finally! I keep forgetting to put it on my PTW but I guess I'll start it soon.
Feb 10, 2015 4:59 AM

Nov 2011
It's reverse harem season.
Feb 10, 2015 5:19 AM
Lead Admin
Faerie Queen

Aug 2007
zetsu_shoren said:
It's reverse harem season.
This isn't a reverse harem, it's a romance series. The F4 aren't all interested in the heroine, nor she in them.
Feb 10, 2015 5:56 AM

Jan 2015
I should really start reading it if it's that good.
Feb 10, 2015 6:45 AM
Review Moderator
(。•̀ᴗ-)⌒✧

Jun 2007
A sequel? New cast? Shounen? What :v

*disappointed*

I thought they'd revamp it, not go for something else entirely. Well, I will still check it, I did like the manga/anime/jdrama/kdrama enough xD But my expectations are pretty low considering this info. Pity.
Feb 10, 2015 8:37 AM
Mar 2014
I'll probably read it, but I don't really know what to expect.. Kineta likes it, so that's good enough for me.
Feb 10, 2015 9:45 AM

Mar 2014
i watched the drama versions (k & j) and really loved it. Not sure how close those are to the manga ofcourse. I will probably start reading the manga now :D
Feb 10, 2015 12:38 PM

Oct 2012
Oh, cool. I have the anime on my PTW list, so I should probably watch the anime or read the manga soon.
Feb 10, 2015 1:56 PM

Aug 2013
Banzai~

LCWS | SCS | TCO | NC | DNC
Feb 10, 2015 1:59 PM

Apr 2014
oh damn.... the Korean drama was like my childhood lmao

exciting news!
Feb 10, 2015 2:04 PM

Jun 2008
Nah i'll rewatch the j-drama with Jun Matsumoto instead.
Feb 10, 2015 2:36 PM

Jul 2012
i think korean version was better than japan version
Feb 10, 2015 3:22 PM
Aug 2013
Yessssssss
W8 is this a seiries sequel to the manga?
Feb 10, 2015 3:49 PM

Mar 2009
The J-drama is more true to the manga! I couldn't stand the Korean because of they changed so much D: Its the same with the Korean hana kimi... -_-

I can warn you if you watch the anime that the manga wasn't complete when they made it... Sooo the anime ending is not how it ended... And the animation quality isn't the best... And its the same with the J-drama ending too... The movie after is one big filler... It doesn't take place in the manga.

aww memories when I was fangirling Tsukasa. I don't like him anymore >-> He is a plain abusive douche...
Feb 10, 2015 4:01 PM

Sep 2013
Maybe I'll finally give a shot to the manga, then...

Buuut... I've had mostly boring experiences with shoujos so far :|
Feb 10, 2015 4:05 PM
Jul 2014
Its been so long since I've read this and watched the dramas. Will see how this plays out with the new cast.
Feb 10, 2015 6:12 PM

May 2014
KYYYYYYYAAAAAAAAHHHHHH~
I'm gonna go reread all the volumes again... For the 6th time. ^^
Feb 10, 2015 7:22 PM

Sep 2013
Watched the live adaptations; korean and taiwanese version. Loved it. Watched the anime; dissappointed/hated it. I dont know what to expect really. I havent read the manga yet so I dunno.
"I have been wielding a blade since before your were swimming around your father's scrotum." - Kurou
Feb 11, 2015 2:25 AM

Dec 2010
oh, seems pretty intersecting, looking forward to see an updated story with new characters.
Feb 11, 2015 2:53 AM

Jul 2013
Best-selling Shoujo?? I may getting into this series, but I really dislike harems altogether.
Demi Valentine

Follow me on social media!

Facebook | Instagram | Twitter
Feb 11, 2015 2:58 AM
Nov 2014
Nice.
Feb 11, 2015 3:08 AM

Jun 2008
AmuoOoChan said:
aww memories when I was fangirling Tsukasa. I don't like him anymore >-> He is a plain abusive douche...

Now that you mention this, there is one guy from this series who is infamous for being a DV男 (whatever you call this in English), don't know which character though since I'm not familiar with the names. I also heard that this author's other series are kind of similar, so I'll better keep my expectations low...

pokeguy123 said:
Yessssssss
W8 is this a seiries sequel to the manga?

tsubasalover said:
The story will take place two years after the F4 (a group of four wealthy boys named "Flower Four") graduated, and will feature a new group of characters at Eitoku Gakuen.
Feb 11, 2015 4:42 AM

Aug 2013
Demi_V said:
Best-selling Shoujo?? I may getting into this series, but I really dislike harems altogether.

It's not a harem , each character from F4 has their own love story , only 2 character fell for the heroine.

LCWS | SCS | TCO | NC | DNC
Feb 11, 2015 8:07 AM

Sep 2009
F4.. it used to be so so very popular here in our country, Philippines =) F4. <333

Sanchai ;D
Feb 12, 2015 6:12 AM
Oct 2013
Wait so let me get this straight? So from what I understand we are getting a new series, with new cast and its after the F4 has graduated??? So does that mean we will not be seeing what happened with Tsukushi and Tsukasa!?????? The cast is the reason I loved the manga so much in the first place. And as far as I remember...

[spoiler]
We did not get to see a definite resolution to Tsukushi's and Tsukasa's relationship! It seems like a waste to start up a whole new relationship with 2 new characters when they haven't resolved the original one. In the anime it
Feb 13, 2015 5:02 AM
Jan 2015
TokyoCrazyPXD said:
Wait so let me get this straight? So from what I understand we are getting a new series, with new cast and its after the F4 has graduated??? So does that mean we will not be seeing what happened with Tsukushi and Tsukasa!?????? The cast is the reason I loved the manga so much in the first place. And as far as I remember...

[spoiler]
We did not get to see a definite resolution to Tsukushi's and Tsukasa's relationship! It seems like a waste to start up a whole new relationship with 2 new characters when they haven't resolved the original one. In the anime it
I bet we will get a few peeks here and there into the old cast life, somewhat like an afterstory for the old cast and the start of a story for the new cast.
Feb 14, 2015 4:09 AM

Sep 2009
l like Korean drama
Feb 15, 2015 9:20 PM
Oct 2013
2sugoi2die said:
TokyoCrazyPXD said:

[spoiler]
I bet we will get a few peeks here and there into the old cast life, somewhat like an afterstory for the old cast and the start of a story for the new cast.

I hope so.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.

More topics from this board

» 'Code Geass: Dakkan no Rozé' Announces Additional Cast

DatRandomDude - Apr 10

15 by RobertBobert »»
Yesterday, 1:39 AM

» 'Fruits Basket' Creator Launches New Manga

Hyperion_PS - Sep 2, 2023

20 by KeyboardBunny »»
Apr 14, 8:04 AM

» 'Kijin Gentoushou' Reveals Main Cast, Staff, Teaser Promo, Summer 2024 Premiere

DatRandomDude - Feb 22

6 by JackAward »»
Apr 13, 1:07 PM

» Voice Actress Mutsumi Tamura Announces Marriage

Hyperion_PS - Apr 1

15 by CrackedYolk »»
Apr 12, 10:50 PM

» Spring 2024 Simulcast List [Update 4/10]

Snow - Apr 5

23 by infanf »»
Apr 12, 2:32 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.