Forum Settings
Forums
New
Do you think the quality of One Piece has gone down since the timeskip?
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Mar 12, 2015 9:07 PM

Nov 2010
Kaimon said:
IntroverTurtle said:
I thought Oda was now on a once a month break schedule.

He is. The longest he went without a break during Dressrosa was 6 weeks iirc
Ok so it isn't they can't go longer than a couple of weeks without a break it's that they chose this schedule because of Oda's health.
Mar 12, 2015 9:15 PM

Jun 2012
IntroverTurtle said:
Kaimon said:

He is. The longest he went without a break during Dressrosa was 6 weeks iirc
Ok so it isn't they can't go longer than a couple of weeks without a break it's that they chose this schedule because of Oda's health.

Basically, wouldn't be surprised if he takes mini-hiatus (2-4 weeks) after finishing up Dressrosa
Mar 14, 2015 1:55 PM
Jul 2018
It's the same as it always has been. The biggest difference is that the fights are easier which will prove to have been a good decision years from now when Luffy is not forced to power up in every arc.
removed-userMar 14, 2015 2:02 PM
Mar 16, 2015 2:18 AM

Sep 2013
its not just (lower quality) its complete shit on its own without the need of comparison to anything.

tons of pointless panels, running, shit tier vilains, fake hype, fake death teases, plot holes with the reveal of sabo, more dragged and stretched than ever, many and many other issues.

goddamn even Toriko and Bleach are doing a LOT better in the past year.

luffy has become one of the worst main characters I have every come across and he has gotten to point where it has become incredibly frustrating to read now. his interactions pre time skip was decent. he had good fights and knew when to take things seriously despite being a care free fella however post-skip his character has become unbearable to even read now.

you would think that all the events prior to the skip would change Luffy a bit, where he would take things more seriously. it makes sense too considering his crew got demolished and his brother got killed, luffy was broken mentally and physically. still after that he doesn't seem to be all that affected by those events and if its even possible is even more carefree. i mean it was fine and all in paradise considering this was the first half of the GW but with the hype going into the NW I was expecting Luffy to take things far more serious. its the small stuff that get me ticked off where he lets himself stay restrained by fodder fishman, him slouching smiling while completely tied in PH and essentially telling zoro to fuck himself after he was told to take things more seriously. His care free nature has also lead to really poor fights in the past 2-3 years.

his fights have been absolutely dreadful to read as of recent and this is mostly because he doesn't take anything seriously at all. his 2 main fights against Caesar and Hody both against incredibly weaker foes actually forced luffy to exert himself more then he should have. hell there was also the hype he gave Hyouzou saying he was strong for being able to dodge and counter a gear second move. this ofcourse lead to nothing when zoro absolutely wrecked him. Now this could be oda being inconsistent with luffy's strength and other stuff but Luffy not being able to one shot a scientist and having to fight him 3 times before getting the job done is just plain silly.

- he dies against Hyouzou if he did not have the anti bodies for Hyouzou's poison
- he dies against Caesar after inhaling a shit ton of gas
- he dies to caesar after getting suffocated with any move.

hell there was even moment that gave him some annoyance back in P. now this skirmish would have been fine if they were closer in strength but we know that isn't the case considering how she got fodderized by Zoro. essentially Luffy again not taking the fight seriously almost dies against a far inferior opponent.

honestly its been downhill since the skip

oda is choking and keeps trying to distract fans by bringing characters like sabo to hype them and let them forget the inferior content
sebrina8Mar 16, 2015 2:23 AM
Mar 16, 2015 4:23 AM

Mar 2014
Badass1182 said:
Lemme put it this way
One Piece pre timeskip is an absolute 10 for me. As bad as the pacing is, everything is so emotional and its almost a different style of story telling. Instead of having good chapters/episodes or good arcs, One piece has great moments

One Piece post timeskip (other than Return to Shabondy, that was the best thing ever) is a crappy, quickly thrown together shonen that is at best a 7 and at worst a 2

OFT.
Mar 17, 2015 7:31 AM

Apr 2011
sebrina8 said:
its not just (lower quality) its complete shit on its own without the need of comparison to anything.

tons of pointless panels, running, shit tier vilains, fake hype, fake death teases, plot holes with the reveal of sabo, more dragged and stretched than ever, many and many other issues.

luffy has become one of the worst main characters I have every come across and he has gotten to point where it has become incredibly frustrating to read now. his interactions pre time skip was decent. he had good fights and knew when to take things seriously despite being a care free fella however post-skip his character has become unbearable to even read now.

you would think that all the events prior to the skip would change Luffy a bit, where he would take things more seriously. it makes sense too considering his crew got demolished and his brother got killed, luffy was broken mentally and physically. still after that he doesn't seem to be all that affected by those events and if its even possible is even more carefree. i mean it was fine and all in paradise considering this was the first half of the GW but with the hype going into the NW I was expecting Luffy to take things far more serious. its the small stuff that get me ticked off where he lets himself stay restrained by fodder fishman, him slouching smiling while completely tied in PH and essentially telling zoro to fuck himself after he was told to take things more seriously. His care free nature has also lead to really poor fights in the past 2-3 years.

his fights have been absolutely dreadful to read as of recent and this is mostly because he doesn't take anything seriously at all. his 2 main fights against Caesar and Hody both against incredibly weaker foes actually forced luffy to exert himself more then he should have. hell there was also the hype he gave Hyouzou saying he was strong for being able to dodge and counter a gear second move. this ofcourse lead to nothing when zoro absolutely wrecked him. Now this could be oda being inconsistent with luffy's strength and other stuff but Luffy not being able to one shot a scientist and having to fight him 3 times before getting the job done is just plain silly.

- he dies against Hyouzou if he did not have the anti bodies for Hyouzou's poison

hell there was even moment that gave him some annoyance back in P. now this skirmish would have been fine if they were closer in strength but we know that isn't the case considering how she got fodderized by Zoro. essentially Luffy again not taking the fight seriously almost dies against a far inferior opponent.

oda is choking and keeps trying to distract fans by bringing characters like sabo to hype them and let them forget the inferior content

Did you seriously just copy and paste? Your opinions and reputation have just become invalid/zeroed in my mind. Have a good day hater.

[point of reference: http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1353301&show=20]
Mar 17, 2015 10:10 AM

Mar 2010
LitzSabr said:
YareYareJii-san said:
I bet Zoro could take out entire Donquixote family by himself.

No.

Yes. Who? Who could stop him?
Do pop-up headlights really endanger pedestrians that much?
Mar 17, 2015 10:51 AM

Jun 2011
YareYareJii-san said:
LitzSabr said:

No.

Doffy himself?
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Mar 18, 2015 11:38 PM

Mar 2014
YareYareJii-san said:
LitzSabr said:

No.

Are you including the head of the family? If you're excluding DD, yeah you're right; if you are including DD in this sentiment, you're absurdly wrong.
Mar 21, 2015 2:47 AM

Apr 2010
sebrina8 said:

Toriko has been better for years, actually.
Mar 21, 2015 3:56 AM

Mar 2010
ziggy_Z said:
YareYareJii-san said:

Are you including the head of the family? If you're excluding DD, yeah you're right; if you are including DD in this sentiment, you're absurdly wrong.
Excluding Doflamingo, but i don't have too much faith in him either.
Do pop-up headlights really endanger pedestrians that much?
Mar 21, 2015 4:19 AM

Jun 2012
sebrina8 said:

lolBleach
Mar 21, 2015 4:30 AM

Jun 2011
Kaimon said:
sebrina8 said:

lolBleach
Dat moustache development doe.

YareYareJii-san said:
Excluding Doflamingo, but i don't have too much faith in him either.
Why not? I can understand if you think that he will end up as a disappointment, but thinking of Zoro taking him on? Really?
Mar 21, 2015 4:34 AM

Jun 2012
Well Vergo would wreck any Non-M3 Straw Hat, and probably most of the tourney fighters too for that matter so.....equivalent exchange?
Mar 21, 2015 4:36 AM

Jun 2011
There's a chance Vergo could take down Sanji as well.
Mar 21, 2015 4:39 AM

Jun 2012
ToG25thBaam said:
There's a chance Vergo could take down Sanji as well.

Eh maybe, but Vergo was kinda plot-armored so he could be beaten by Law. Wouldn't be easy either way, though
Mar 21, 2015 4:42 AM

Jun 2011
Kaimon said:

Eh maybe, but Vergo was kinda plot-armored so he could be beaten by Law. Wouldn't be easy either way, though
I don't see how he's plot armored tho, it felt more like Law asspulled his way through. Vergo was legit.
Mar 21, 2015 5:01 AM

Jun 2012
ToG25thBaam said:
Kaimon said:

I don't see how he's plot armored tho, it felt more like Law asspulled his way through. Vergo was legit.

"plot armored" in the sense that both had to be pulled away by more important things so that Law could be hyped up+deliver his speech to Doffy when he cut the lab in half
Apr 18, 2015 4:01 PM

Aug 2007
sebrina8 said:

There are no plot holes in One Piece.
Apr 19, 2015 12:51 AM

Mar 2011
Throwing my two cents.

I think the reason this impression is given is the comparison of the latest arcs with Marineford and Sabaody where the stakes wre incredibly high and naturally a reader expects the stakes to get higher in a consistent manner. On the other hand if I view the New world as a little bit of a reset it doesn't give me a sense of drop in quality and I'll explain. Rather than comparing the recent arcs to Marineford I think the better comparison is Arlong arc-Fishman island, Punk Hazzard-Little Garden , Dressrosa-Dessert kingdom (or whatever it's name was). In other words the comparison with Water 7/Ennies Lobby/Sabaody/Marineford is yet to come. I think the biggest problem is the fact that Doflamingo was the villain. He was the most foreshadowed villain in the series (to the point that some assumed he may even be the last boss) so the fact that he is featured so early on may have something to do with the letdown that some experienced. I'd say that the whole Dressrosa is more of a setup (Luffy's alliance/the whole thing with Kaidou and even more) than a climatic ending to a very prominent villain(Dofla)
"But don't cry my friends, we are all the same.Every one of us is a human with "H" capital...
and now we are two and one of us has to be shit."
-Mr.Freeman
Apr 19, 2015 9:23 AM

Dec 2013
Personally I feel that the post-timeskip second half of One Piece is struggling with the same problem the first half had- Oda just has to find his groove again.
Odds are I'm not going to find my way back to a thread after my first post, it happens on occasion but not often. So, if I say something that offends you and you feel the need to force your opinion on me because obviously everyone should have your opinion or none at all, feel free to post it in the thread that I'll probably never see again. However, if you are interested in intelligent discourse, feel free to message me.
Apr 22, 2015 6:37 AM
Apr 2015
Definitely but not by much I think we need to give Oda some time

Fishman Island and Punk Hazard were weak but I think the Dressrosa arc is great
Apr 22, 2015 2:04 PM

Oct 2009
I have issues with both the manga and the anime since the mermaid island. A few thoughts:

- The artwork is not Oda's strength and it is not improving either: A lot of panels are too busy and lack clarity... also spamming 10 new characters every 2 chapter is not helping. :/
- Overall the new chapters feel like a chore to read. I am just browsing through quickly to see if it becomes interesting again.
- Anime feels more and more like DBZ, with only a few actions per episode.
- I don't laugh at the comedy parts as much as I used to.
- The villains powered up quite a bit with the timeskip, I mean since when Doflamingo got so OP? He was fighting on par with Crocodile during the Marineford arc..
- This is what I feel about the amount of secondary characters in One Piece: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrGrOK8oZG8 :p
Apr 23, 2015 2:37 AM

Dec 2014
I wouldn't say the quality got lower no, Fishman Island yeah that was a pretty bad arc despite the revelations in it. I kind of liked Punk Hazard because it sort of reminded me of the Pre Alabasta adventures the crew had. Dressrosa I honestly think it's fantastic, I mean sure it's been a long time but if you think about what truly transpired in Dressrosa it looks like it will definitely change their world. The only way you will be able to truly judge Dressrosa is after it is done and you go back and re watch/read it.
Apr 23, 2015 11:46 AM

Jun 2011
TheDodo said:
I mean since when Doflamingo got so OP? He was fighting on par with Crocodile during the Marineford arc..
This is factually wrong.
Apr 23, 2015 12:14 PM

Oct 2013
TheDodo said:
I have issues with both the manga and the anime since the mermaid island. A few thoughts:

- The artwork is not Oda's strength and it is not improving either: A lot of panels are too busy and lack clarity... also spamming 10 new characters every 2 chapter is not helping. :/
- Overall the new chapters feel like a chore to read. I am just browsing through quickly to see if it becomes interesting again.
- The villains powered up quite a bit with the timeskip, I mean since when Doflamingo got so OP? He was fighting on par with Crocodile during the Marineford arc..
- This is what I feel about the amount of secondary characters in One Piece: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrGrOK8oZG8 :p

Reason for all the complains: "I am just browsing through quickly"
Apr 23, 2015 2:50 PM

Apr 2011
bigivelfhq said:
TheDodo said:

Reason for all the complains: "I am just browsing through quickly"

Yeah. Also:

How can you find the funny...funny... if you're not bothering to READ the chapters. You said it yourself, you don't bother reading the chapters... and lots of the jokes are embedded in the dialogue so... point invalidated...

10 new chapters spammed every 2 chapters? There hasn't been a new character introduced since Kanjuro had his visuals shown, which was how many chapters ago? That was chapter 754... and we're currently on 784... So we haven't been intro'd to a new character for some 30 chapters. But considering you're "skimming" through the chapters, it's not surprising that it FEELS like there's new characters every 2 chapters. So, point invalidated.

Anime has "few actions per episode" Uhh... some episodes have A LOT of action, while others have very little. That being said, every episode does indeed include some degree of action.... is it too little for you or too much? o.0 Regardless, it's on par with the amount and frequency that was present pre-timeskip anyway.

The villains may have powered up. To think that Luffy and co were the only ones becoming more powerful than the time skip is a bit of a stretch. Obv other chars would also power up to some degree. Also, we didn't see the true power of any of these chars to begin with because we only saw 2 secs of their fight, which wasn't seriously fought. Obv. the admirals and co were using haki, but we didn't see it visually. We didn't see any real technique etc. during the war. Dof just controlled a few soldiers and thaz it. No one was really fighting seriously except Luffy lmao.

The complaint about clarity may be valid, but not in a "this makes it so timeskip sucks" kinda way. Cause well, it was nearly the same pre time skip. Particularly for the marineford battles. Back then the chapters were so perhaps even more cluttered. So...

In all honesty, you may have some good points, but in no way do most of them apply as a distinction between pretime skip and post.

--
My two cents have been inserted into ze piggy bank called MAL. Here's a cookie that represents my depa- *runs away*
Apr 23, 2015 5:23 PM

Oct 2009
DarkAngelz said:

Yeah. Also:

How can you find the funny...funny... if you're not bothering to READ the chapters. You said it yourself, you don't bother reading the chapters... and lots of the jokes are embedded in the dialogue so... point invalidated...

10 new chapters spammed every 2 chapters? There hasn't been a new character introduced since Kanjuro had his visuals shown, which was how many chapters ago? That was chapter 754... and we're currently on 784... So we haven't been intro'd to a new character for some 30 chapters. But considering you're "skimming" through the chapters, it's not surprising that it FEELS like there's new characters every 2 chapters. So, point invalidated.

Anime has "few actions per episode" Uhh... some episodes have A LOT of action, while others have very little. That being said, every episode does indeed include some degree of action.... is it too little for you or too much? o.0 Regardless, it's on par with the amount and frequency that was present pre-timeskip anyway.

The villains may have powered up. To think that Luffy and co were the only ones becoming more powerful than the time skip is a bit of a stretch. Obv other chars would also power up to some degree. Also, we didn't see the true power of any of these chars to begin with because we only saw 2 secs of their fight, which wasn't seriously fought. Obv. the admirals and co were using haki, but we didn't see it visually. We didn't see any real technique etc. during the war. Dof just controlled a few soldiers and thaz it. No one was really fighting seriously except Luffy lmao.

The complaint about clarity may be valid, but not in a "this makes it so timeskip sucks" kinda way. Cause well, it was nearly the same pre time skip. Particularly for the marineford battles. Back then the chapters were so perhaps even more cluttered. So...

In all honesty, you may have some good points, but in no way do most of them apply as a distinction between pretime skip and post.

- I am browsing through quickly because the quality got lower, not the other way around. I used to read every detail of every chapter.
- Come on, you know the amount of secondary characters in one piece is one of the highest (that I have seen at least).
- Wrong wording, by 'action' I meant that the pacing was very slow, with half of every episode being a summary of what happened on the previous one.
- The complain about quality was that it didn't improve over time. I know that Oda's style was messy from the start.
- I agree it might not be as much a pre vs post timeskip but perhaps that I got really bored of One Piece. Maybe I feel it got worse because it didn't improve/stopped innovating over time.
Apr 23, 2015 7:18 PM

Apr 2011

I'm not trying to say that your opinion is wrong or unfounded. I just feel like your explanations are off.

For Hunter x Hunter, I skim like hell, but not because the quality is "lower" than t'was before. It's just cause there's so much bullshit dialogue that I simply don't care enough about, and thus don't care to exert the required energy to read. It doesn't necessarily mean the quality is lower, just that I've become less engaged.
Though you and I are different, and we may be experiencing this lack of desire to read, it could be for different reasons. So your finding the quality to be lower may be the reason... but your excuse about the funny not being as present is invalidated by the fact that you're not reading the dialogue. You can't criticize something that you're not taking seriously, and think to have your statements taken seriously by people that did take seriously. If that makes sense.

Yes, I know the amount of secondary characters. And yes, I realize that there were A LOT that were introduced this arc. BUT, they were mostly all introduced in the beginning of the arc, and then fleshed out as the arc progressed. You claimed that we've been seeing characters pop out of nowhere almost every chapter, which is not what's happening. If you said that there's a bunch of new characters that you dont care about because they were all shown at once and out of nowhere, that would be a more founded reason. Be aware that exaggerations can lower the weight of your argument.

Pacing has been this way since Thriller. Well, not true. For Dressrosa there has actually been 2/3 chapter = 1 episode, which is unusual. It also sucks A LOT. But it's reverted back to "normal". That's not necessarily a statement of quality though, but I will concede to the fact that the pacing has indeed gotten worse in the anime... until just recently. The recent episodes have- for ME- seemed much better. But your point still stands regardless of my opinion in this sense.

Sure, the quality didn't necessarily "improve" over time, but because it also didn't get WORSE, you can't really use it as an argument for why the quality of the series decreased. o.0

It's fine that you got bored of One Piece. It happens. I get bored of series all the time (though I wouldn't necessarily equate my lack of engagement with a decrease in quality). It's fine. The reasons you mentioned are valid to support the "this is why i'm bored of OP" but they don't necessarily qualify as reasons for the quality being worse than it was pre timeskip.

Am I making sense? o.0
Apr 23, 2015 8:10 PM

Mar 2015
Although Fishman Island and Punk Hazard were disappointing, Dressrosa is probably my 5th or 6th favorite arc overall. Before skip or after skip, One Piece is still fun as hell to read. And things seems to be only getting better, so I'm looking forward to more One Piece.
Apr 23, 2015 11:54 PM

Aug 2007
Watch Legend of the Galactic Heroes if you think One Piece has too many characters.

Also the anime's pacing is shit. Everybody knows that. Blame Toei for refusing to do fillers, animating the cover story arcs, or going on a hiatus.
Apr 24, 2015 7:00 AM
Apr 2015
Drunk_Samurai said:
Watch Legend of the Galactic Heroes if you think One Piece has too many characters.

Also the anime's pacing is shit. Everybody knows that. Blame Toei for refusing to do fillers, animating the cover story arcs, or going on a hiatus.

Agreed the anime is pretty the pacing and animation are horrible
I'm glad I started reading the manga during Punk Hazard
Apr 30, 2015 7:16 PM

May 2013
Ah I still love Dressroa. As a manga arc though. The anime...well Toei will be Toei I suppose. It really is a shame because the first 3 Sagas (East Blue/Alabasta/Skypiea) were done brilliantly as an anime (despite limited animation there was a lot more heart to the show) and even the next few (Water 7/Thriller Bark/Whitebeard War) had moments that ranged from decent to amazing. Ever since the timeskip though the anime has been much worse. I do think the manga Post-Timeskip is just as good as ever though. While it has its flaws, OP has always had flaws, and as always OP's great points vastly outweigh its flaws. (At least imo)

That said, I feel like the OP and could be saved if -
A. They *gasp* did a lot more fillers. (Really not nearly as bad as some might make it seem. OP fillers have always been great because of the Straw Hats. I swear I'd adore a slice-of-life straw hat series of just the mugiwara crew interacting and getting in light-hearted hijinks. The comedy/interaction moments in between arcs always leave me craving more of that. Filler would be a great way to satisfy that desire, and more importantly would put space between the anime and the manga, and SOL style filler would let Toei conserve money for the canon arcs. I know Toei likes to make OP's few filler arcs actiony, but I sure wouldnt mind more silly/omake/SOL/blatantly non canon fun. It would definitely benefit the show and I'm sure there are plenty in Japan who'd love it. But then again I'm sure a lot of fans who are hyper-focused on "fights" and "relevance" would get pissed off. So it would have to be handled well.)

B. They actually used the billions of yen OP makes to improve the animation quality. This is a sad case though were Toei could easily do this but I'm sure they won't. OP is huge and will keep printing them money regardless of how bad the animation is. They COULD make it better but why would they when its so much less work and money to just keep on the crappy quality. This is simple yet depressing Capitalism.

C. If Toei actually gave a shit. Be real, they don't. It's especially sad because OP has such great potential as an anime. The voice actor's are amazing and passionate as is the soundtrack. Oda's manga is not just fantastic source material, but it's a comic positively dying to be animated. There's so much energy to the series that could translate so much better into a fluid and fun animation, rather than the static and boring shadow Toei passes as a tv anime. It really is a sad state of affairs.
May 1, 2015 4:05 PM
Oct 2013
Agafin said:

I agree. The funny thing is that I believe that I've been watching One Piece for longer than most of the people who make that generalisation. This arc is definitely dragged imo. The latest chapter(777) for example brought absolutely nothing new to the table and was just an excuse for padding.

Again well displayed opinion and analysis of the series current status. Hillarious how people always throw out the "new fan" card when they have no argument to actually objectively counter the given facts.

Same here reading One Piece since 10 years and weekly since 8.
The temporarely denial in quality is undenieable and inexcuseable since it´s no matter of buildup but rahter a lack of planing. It suffers from the same issues the Naruto war arc had at certain instances.
May 2, 2015 4:21 PM

Oct 2014
TheDodo said:

You should have mentioned Bellamy and not Doflamingo. If anything Doflamingo feels more like he became weaker.
May 2, 2015 8:49 PM

Aug 2007
Phoenix_Wright said:
TheDodo said:

You should have mentioned Bellamy and not Doflamingo. If anything Doflamingo feels more like he became weaker.

Doflamingo's powers were barely shown pre timeskip.
May 2, 2015 11:31 PM

Nov 2010
TheDodo said:

Not really, Doflamingo was just playing with him.
May 3, 2015 12:53 AM

Jan 2015
Phoenix_Wright said:
TheDodo said:

Not really before the timeskip no one would think that luffy's gonna need to use Gear Fourth to be able to do something to him.
May 3, 2015 4:43 AM

Oct 2014
smelldemon said:
Phoenix_Wright said:

Not really before the timeskip no one would think that luffy's gonna need to use Gear Fourth to be able to do something to him.

Yeah, before timeskip everyone thought that Luffy couldn't defeat Doflamingo at all. I mean, the guy casually cut Oars Junior's leg and took control of Jozu, who was one of the strongest Whitebeard's commanders. All of this was rather impressive, so with the power he has shown, he should have annihilated Luffy without even trying.

Drunk_Samurai said:
Phoenix_Wright said:

Doflamingo's powers were barely shown pre timeskip.

But this was enough actually. He could casually cut a leg to a descendant of Oars. And he managed to control Jozu who was far above Luffy. Luffy had literally no way to defeat him, and to be honest, even now he should have been killed a long time ago. If Doflamingo could control likes of Jozu and casually cut a leg of a guy like Oars, I don't see why he can't do the same with Luffy.

It is actually very likely, that he didn't improve, but became rusty during the timeskip, the same way as Crocodile and Moria did after their crew being destroyed in New World.
Phoenix_WrightMay 3, 2015 4:49 AM
May 3, 2015 10:37 PM

Jan 2011
In my honest opinion it is of lower quality than it was before but not horrendous. I still find enjoyment from each arc, though not as much as before. And it has been stated in the answers so far, but I feel like theres just so many characters in each arc now, more than there needs to be, so like when a chapter focuses entirely on a fight or conflict between two new characters I find myself not caring as much.
IE in recent chapters we have not seen many of the strawhats and I'm more interested in what they're up to rather than the new side characters.
May 3, 2015 10:44 PM

Jul 2014
Though the best arcs in the show came pre time skip, (marineford and sabaody archipelago imo) the fishman arc wasn't bad and a great comeback while punk hazard was just a set up arc for bigger things to come and definitely did not need to be so long. I haven't seen Dressrosa and won't be watching it until it's complete but, from the spoilers I've (sadly) seen I can say that bigger things are on the horizon. Fishman arc did have one of the worst op's tho which is surprising since imo the show only has one other bad op (Thriller bark)
Jesus Walks
May 4, 2015 12:05 AM

May 2013
SerenityB3128 said:
In my honest opinion it is of lower quality than it was before but not horrendous. I still find enjoyment from each arc, though not as much as before. And it has been stated in the answers so far, but I feel like theres just so many characters in each arc now, more than there needs to be, so like when a chapter focuses entirely on a fight or conflict between two new characters I find myself not caring as much.
IE in recent chapters we have not seen many of the strawhats and I'm more interested in what they're up to rather than the new side characters.

Really I must agree to the fact that there are too many side characters. Really I think Cavendish and Bartolomeo are great but they're all that was needed. All the other Colosseum Fighters just seem so forgettable. Also Kyros and Rebecca had so much potential but Oda just turned her into another bland pacifistic woman character who clearly needed to be "kept pure" and shit. Still Cavendish and Barto have been big hits imo and I love the Doffy Pirates. They're perhaps the best villains One Piece has had so far. But it irritates me to no freaking end that Robin SOMEHOW still didn't get a fight when there were only five Straw Hats on the island. Like seriously. Still I've liked the arc over all I just hope it ends soon. It was great but even I am starting to tire of this 85 chapter arc.
May 4, 2015 12:09 AM

Jul 2014
Remember everyone that the second half has like 400 less episodes than the first rn
Jesus Walks
May 4, 2015 1:59 PM

Apr 2011
LebronsHairline said:
Remember everyone that the second half has like 400 less episodes than the first rn

^Yep. There shouldn't be a comparison between the first half and the second, straight up. It doesn't make sense! If you want to compare quality, it should be the BEGINNING of the first half with the BEGINNING of the second half. So, Alabasta and earlier vs Dressrosa to FI.

It's nonsensical to compare marineford/shabondy with dressrosa when one is the halfway climax, like the climax before an intermission, while the other is not supposed to even be a climax of any kind! It's set up! It's setting up the New World! It's the intro! Ugh. This thread is irritating me with it's fallacy based foundation!

EDIT: Thought of a good example: With Naruto, if I remember correctly, the first arc of Shippuden had the doll maker etc, which was lame. Would you compare that arc with the Pain arc? Would you say, at that point in time, that Naruto has decreased in quality, just because the doll arc wasn't as good as the pain arc? There are certain things that should not be compared in answer to the quality question.
May 4, 2015 2:15 PM

Jul 2014
DarkAngelz said:
LebronsHairline said:

^Yep. There shouldn't be a comparison between the first half and the second, straight up. It doesn't make sense! If you want to compare quality, it should be the BEGINNING of the first half with the BEGINNING of the second half. So, Alabasta and earlier vs Dressrosa to FI.

It's nonsensical to compare marineford/shabondy with dressrosa when one is the halfway climax, like the climax before an intermission, while the other is not supposed to even be a climax of any kind! It's set up! It's setting up the New World! It's the intro! Ugh. This thread is irritating me with it's fallacy based foundation!

EDIT: Thought of a good example: With Naruto, if I remember correctly, the first arc of Shippuden had the doll maker etc, which was lame. Would you compare that arc with the Pain arc? Would you say, at that point in time, that Naruto has decreased in quality, just because the doll arc wasn't as good as the pain arc? There are certain things that should not be compared in answer to the quality question.

Lol agree 100%. Comparing the beginnings, I liked the first 100 episodes of the beginning of the show better than Fishman and Punk Hazard. Technically, they're both set up but, the beginning of the show has that feeling to it where you can watch it over and over. Fishman was basically just mostly a showcase of the Strawhats' new powers, starting off with a bang while I think Hazard is just pure setup.
Jesus Walks
May 4, 2015 2:17 PM

Jul 2014
Also, who else doesn't like Franky's post time skip character design??
Jesus Walks
May 5, 2015 2:30 AM
Apr 2013
LebronsHairline said:

Definitely me! But I also really hate Sanji's stupid little beard. Nami's and Robin's waist got WAY to small in an atempt to make them look more mature, sexy or whatever, especially at their reunion on saboady (but I generally liked their character design a lot better pre time-skip).
May 5, 2015 9:39 AM

May 2013
Quinius said:
LebronsHairline said:

Definitely me! But I also really hate Sanji's stupid little beard. Nami's and Robin's waist got WAY to small in an atempt to make them look more mature, sexy or whatever, especially at their reunion on saboady (but I generally liked their character design a lot better pre time-skip).

I wouldn't say I hate any of them but I really do think Franky, Nami, and Robin all looked better pre-timeskip. Honestly, I know Oda was trying to make the girls "sexier" but I found their previous designs much more appealing, not to mention fit the characters much more. Why on earth is Nami prancing about in glorified underwear now? Ugh.

Also, about comparing the beginnings:
I know lots of people say that "One Piece doesn't get good till Arlong Park/Alabasta/Ennies Lobby/Marineford/take your pick" but honestly, the East Blue Saga has this timeless, almost Disney like feel that's just so charming and nostalgic. Sure it wasn't epic in its enormity but it was fantastic at what it was doing. In fact, there are times when I wish the series would take a break from these enormous arcs to have some smaller adventures or hijinks. (Even though it won't happen) In a sense then, it's still kind of weird to compare those to Fishman Island. Honestly, I like the FI Arc more than a lot of people seem to, but I actually like East Blue more. East Blue started the series and was a pretty different One Piece that resides in a special place in my heart. Fishman Island wasn't all it could be, not by a long shot, but it's not as horrible as people say. Still East Blue was a better introduction I think. Punk Hazard and Dressrosa have picked the series up again I think though.
May 5, 2015 12:30 PM

Aug 2007
Rocko52 said:
Quinius said:

I wouldn't say I hate any of them but I really do think Franky, Nami, and Robin all looked better pre-timeskip. Honestly, I know Oda was trying to make the girls "sexier" but I found their previous designs much more appealing, not to mention fit the characters much more. Why on earth is Nami prancing about in glorified underwear now? Ugh.

Also, about comparing the beginnings:
I know lots of people say that "One Piece doesn't get good till Arlong Park/Alabasta/Ennies Lobby/Marineford/take your pick" but honestly, the East Blue Saga has this timeless, almost Disney like feel that's just so charming and nostalgic. Sure it wasn't epic in its enormity but it was fantastic at what it was doing. In fact, there are times when I wish the series would take a break from these enormous arcs to have some smaller adventures or hijinks. (Even though it won't happen) In a sense then, it's still kind of weird to compare those to Fishman Island. Honestly, I like the FI Arc more than a lot of people seem to, but I actually like East Blue more. East Blue started the series and was a pretty different One Piece that resides in a special place in my heart. Fishman Island wasn't all it could be, not by a long shot, but it's not as horrible as people say. Still East Blue was a better introduction I think. Punk Hazard and Dressrosa have picked the series up again I think though.

"Underwear" I assume you have never heard of a beach. Robin's redesign was pointless since women at that age's breasts don't get larger unless they got pregnant.
May 5, 2015 2:57 PM

Oct 2014
Rocko52 said:
Also Kyros and Rebecca had so much potential but Oda just turned her into another bland pacifistic woman character who clearly needed to be "kept pure" and shit.

Also she should have been wearing this

and not this stupid gladiator outfit.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » One Piece Chapter 1112 Discussion

AhriTheS3xyFox - Apr 16

15 by wallus81 »»
5 minutes ago

Poll: » One Piece Chapter 1069 Discussion ( 1 2 )

FMmatron - Dec 6, 2022

86 by Kakuneon »»
Apr 17, 11:48 PM

Poll: » One Piece Chapter 5 Discussion

JoquishaJoestar - Jan 19, 2010

32 by vsuc »»
Apr 17, 1:43 PM

Poll: » One Piece Chapter 1111 Discussion

FMmatron - Mar 19

47 by Zorowork »»
Apr 16, 2:27 AM

Poll: » One Piece Chapter 768 Discussion

YerinArelius - Nov 19, 2014

47 by KoniginElle »»
Apr 14, 2:50 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.