Forum Settings
Forums

If Avatar:Aang were added into the Database would it be #1 show on MAL?

New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Feb 6, 2015 1:44 AM

Jun 2014
RedRoseFring said:
Kagami_Hiiragi said:

You've seen less than 150 shows, where do you get 95% from?

Correct, it's more like 99%.
ATLA would be number one with 9.33

I highly doubt that.

Firstly, the fanboys would piss off plenty of people. Secondly, some might end up finding it average which is understandable.

It'd never reach a 9.0 here. Confident about that.
Feb 6, 2015 1:49 AM

Aug 2013
Kagami_Hiiragi said:
RedRoseFring said:

Correct, it's more like 99%.
ATLA would be number one with 9.33

I highly doubt that.

Firstly, the fanboys would piss off plenty of people. Secondly, some might end up finding it average which is understandable.

It has no long filler arcs so it's sure to reach 9.
Feb 6, 2015 1:52 AM

Jun 2014
DrGeroCreation said:
Kagami_Hiiragi said:

I highly doubt that.

I'm not sure that'd matter though. So many haters will rate it down for not being anime. Popularity might not be enough, nor having no filler arcs.
Feb 6, 2015 1:58 AM

Aug 2013
Kagami_Hiiragi said:
DrGeroCreation said:

I'm not sure that'd matter though. So many haters will rate it down for not being anime. Popularity might not be enough, nor having no filler arcs.
If it was allowed in the database then it would be considered anime. There are many people who actually believe it is an anime that's why so many threads pop up about why it is not added to the database. Heck in the Faq it is actually specifically mentioned considering there are so much people that consider it an anime and are confused why it isn't added.
Feb 6, 2015 2:02 AM

Jun 2014
I disagree. MAL's datebase adding avatar wouldn't officalize it as anime. It'd only be anime to the database admins, but still not in general.

It'd still be rated down by haters, I am very confident on this. I'm not hatin, but it'd likely happen.
Feb 6, 2015 2:07 AM

Dec 2013
it probably be around an 8
Feb 6, 2015 2:09 AM

Aug 2013
Kagami_Hiiragi said:
I disagree. MAL's datebase adding avatar wouldn't officalize it as anime. It'd only be anime to the database admins, but still not in general.

It'd still be rated down by haters, I am very confident on this. I'm not hatin, but it'd likely happen.
Well most popular anime are down rated by haters but fans counter that with upvotes. A popular show having a lot of haters doesn't mean it will have a low score, just look at SAO. Even if it was generally still not seen as an anime that wouldn't stop people from rating it high.
Feb 6, 2015 2:12 AM

Jun 2014
DrGeroCreation said:
Kagami_Hiiragi said:

Well most popular anime are down rated by haters but fans counter that with upvotes. A popular show having a lot of haters doesn't mean it will automatically have a low score, just look at SAO. Even if it was generally still not seen as an anime that wouldn't stop people from rating it high.

Yeah, but SAO isn't even above an 8.30. Can't even remember the score to be honest, ha. Now, picture that hate SAO gets doubled. It not being anime will be a massive blow.
Feb 6, 2015 2:15 AM

Apr 2013
If they were split by books, I could imagine the later seasons to be highly rated. Top 30 at best, though.
5 main aspects I base my ratings on:
1. Did DramaEnthusiast make a thread about it?
2. Is it better than Breaking Bad?
3. Did MellowJello recommend the shit out of it?
4. Has it caused a (very entertaining) shitstorm on MAL?
5. Is it actually good?

Scratch the fifth point, it's not very relevant...
Feb 6, 2015 2:17 AM

Aug 2013
Kagami_Hiiragi said:
DrGeroCreation said:
Well most popular anime are down rated by haters but fans counter that with upvotes. A popular show having a lot of haters doesn't mean it will automatically have a low score, just look at SAO. Even if it was generally still not seen as an anime that wouldn't stop people from rating it high.

Yeah, but SAO isn't even above an 8.30. Can't even remember the score to be honest, ha. Now, picture that hate SAO gets doubled. It not being anime will be a massive blow.
SAO is the most hated anime on the forums here so it having a 8 score is amazing. Avatar is a million times more well liked than SAO. As I said before there are many people that consider it an anime even those that know it is a western cartoon.
Feb 6, 2015 2:22 AM

Jun 2014
Believe it or not, SAO probably has more fans than haters here. Haters are much more vocal so it just seems really hated.

As liked as Avatar is, the constant avatar > anime and it not being anime anyway will keep it out of 9.0 range.
Feb 6, 2015 2:27 AM

Aug 2013
Kagami_Hiiragi said:
Believe it or not, SAO probably has more fans than haters here. Haters are much more vocal so it just seems really hated.

As liked as Avatar is, the constant avatar > anime and it not being anime anyway will keep it out of 9.0 range.
Not sure about that, the sub forum seems more infested with haters than fans. Down votes don't mean squat, down votes only matter if they greatly out weigh up votes. As I have said it would be considered anime especially by newbies considering it would be in the database.
Feb 6, 2015 2:32 AM

Jul 2014
Avatar would still get its share of down-vote though, keeping it out of the top 30 and eventually the top 100.

I mean..... SAO was ranked 34. (although i did say once that SAO was 72. i was mistaken)
Feb 6, 2015 2:33 AM

Jun 2014
DrGeroCreation said:
Kagami_Hiiragi said:

Not sure about that, the sub forum seems more infested with haters than fans. Down votes don't mean squat, down votes only matter if they greatly out weigh up votes. As I have said it would be considered anime especially by newbies considering it would be in the database.

There are loads of people on MAL though and looking at its score that confirms it is more liked though.

It'd only be considered anime by the database admins though. Doug being added wouldn't make it animu, nor would rugrats. Don't underestimate the hate or fans who get annoyed when fans declare avatar > anime.

If you said 8.50 I'd believe that, but 9.0? I highly doubt it'd happen. Though, we should agree to disagree since this isn't getting anywhere for both sides :s xD
Feb 6, 2015 2:35 AM

Jun 2014
Okashi_sama said:
Avatar would still get its share of down-vote though, keeping it out of the top 30 and eventually the top 100.

I mean..... SAO was ranked 34. (although i did say once that SAO was 72. i was mistaken)

Yeah, exactly. It'd stay above an 8.0, but never a 9.0.
Feb 6, 2015 2:39 AM

Aug 2013
Kagami_Hiiragi said:
DrGeroCreation said:

There are loads of people on MAL though and looking at its score that confirms it is more liked though.

It'd only be considered anime by the database admins though. Doug being added wouldn't make it animu, nor would rugrats. Don't underestimate the hate or fans who get annoyed when fans declare avatar > anime.

If you said 8.50 I'd believe that, but 9.0? I highly doubt it'd happen. Though, we should agree to disagree since this isn't getting anywhere for both sides :s xD
Doug and Rugrats are not anime influenced so no one in their right minds and who aren't trolling would make the mistake of calling them anime. Why would it only be considered anime by the DB admins when there are users who always post threads asking why it isn't in the database and why it isn't considered anime? Okay let's agree to disagree.

Okashi_sama said:

DrGeroCreation said:
Down votes don't mean squat, down votes only matter if they greatly out weigh up votes.

The anime in the top ten get down votes as well.
Feb 6, 2015 2:42 AM

Jun 2014
The people who ask why its not in the database believe having an anime style makes it anime. This logic is so flawed since there are anime that don't even use an anime style.
Feb 6, 2015 2:45 AM
Dec 2013
It's currently the highest-ranking animated show on IMDb, so yes it probably would be the #1 show on MAL. What I'm more interested in is how high Aang and the others would rank on MAL's Top Favourite Characters. Aang might've ranked #1.

Kagami_Hiiragi said:
The people who ask why its not in the database believe having an anime style makes it anime. This logic is so flawed since there are anime that don't even use an anime style.

Agreed.
Feb 6, 2015 2:45 AM

Jun 2010
Both ATLA & ATLOK in the top 30 <3 Not sure about no.1 (I'd rate them both a 10/10 though)
Feb 6, 2015 2:46 AM

Jun 2014
JumpinJC said:
It's currently the highest-ranking animated show on IMDb, so yes it probably would be the #1 show on MAL. What I'm more interested in is how high Aang and the others would rank on MAL's Top Favourite Characters. Aang might've ranked #1.

Way different.

Haters won't flock onto IMDB as much since its a database for everything tv.
Feb 6, 2015 2:50 AM

Aug 2013
Kagami_Hiiragi said:
Agreed One Piece and Panty& Stocking are good examples. ATLA is very similar to action based adventure battle shonen anime though and structured like one by being arc based.
Feb 6, 2015 2:54 AM

Jun 2014
DrGeroCreation said:
Kagami_Hiiragi said:
Agreed One Piece and Panty& Stocking are good examples. ATLA is very similar to action based adventure battle shonen anime though and structured like one by being arc based.

I agree its similar of course, structure and all.

To clarify with Avatar on IMDB: Kids, non animu fans, etc rate there. Fans will give it a 10, anime buffs who are haters won't bother as much. On a strictly anime site, ratings will drastically be different.
Feb 6, 2015 2:58 AM

Mar 2013
If NGNL and Code Geass are in the top 20 spot, why not Legend of Korra and Avatar the Last Airbender?
Feb 6, 2015 2:59 AM

Jun 2014
PeripheralVision said:
If NGNL and Code Geass are in the top 20 spot, why not Legend of Korra and Avatar the Last Airbender?

NGNL is in the top 20?

Since when :s
Feb 6, 2015 3:01 AM

Mar 2013
Kagami_Hiiragi said:
PeripheralVision said:

NGNL is in the top 20?

It was # 16 last time I check.

Not sure about now, I just now it is much more popular than it needs to be.
Feb 6, 2015 3:02 AM
Feb 6, 2015 3:03 AM

Jun 2014
PeripheralVision said:
Kagami_Hiiragi said:

NGNL is in the top 20?

It was # 16 last time I check.

Not sure about now, I just now it is much more popular than it needs to be.

It dropped, just like avatar would. NGNL being popular is understandable though since anime fans seem to love video game based shows.
Feb 6, 2015 3:05 AM

Aug 2013
Kagami_Hiiragi said:
DrGeroCreation said:

I agree its similar of course, structure and all.

To clarify with Avatar on IMDB: Kids, non animu fans, etc rate there. Fans will give it a 10, anime buffs who are haters won't bother as much. On a strictly anime site, ratings will drastically be different.
Avatar (specifically ATLA) is well liked here as well. ATLA if it was part of the database would very likely have a 9 score here like Hunter X Hunter because shonen haters would consider it a battle shonen done right . On this site specifically haters bash the big 3 (mainly Naruto and Bleach) because of long filler arcs which ATLA doesn't have and Naruto and Bleach also get a lot of hate because of certain arcs where people think they took a nose dive in quality (Fake Karakura Town arc and Naruto's war arc). ATLA does not have that problem, each of it's arcs are considered good. I personally am not a fan of Book 2 but I have noticed I am in the minority and I do admit there were some good things about that book. ATLA having no filler arcs and being seen as consistently good from beginning to end would cause it to be rated well by both battle shonen lovers and haters thus allowing it to reach the top 10 like Hunter X Hunter 2011.
Feb 6, 2015 3:07 AM

Jun 2014
Like I said, I really don't see it reaching a 9.0. I could go on all day with you using the same reasons, but neither of us seem likely to budge. Its better we discuss erza ;)
Feb 6, 2015 3:11 AM

Mar 2013
I could see Book 1 and Book 3 being rated above 8s. I gave both 8-9 out of 10. As for book 2.....it wouldn't be as low as it should be. Probably a low 7. Maybe even a high 6.
Feb 6, 2015 3:14 AM

Aug 2013
Kagami_Hiiragi said:
Like I said, I really don't see it reaching a 9.0. I could go on all day with you using the same reasons, but neither of us seem likely to budge. Its better we discuss erza ;)
Looking forward to that Erza discussion but now I really need to catch some ZZZZs.
Feb 6, 2015 3:21 AM

Aug 2014
It's not that great anyway. It's not bad but it's way overrated.
So no.
InsertanamehereFeb 6, 2015 6:46 AM
Feb 6, 2015 3:21 AM

Sep 2014
Rick and Morty ranks higher than Avatar on IMDb
Just wanted to mention that
Feb 6, 2015 3:24 AM

Aug 2013
Moneyburns said:
Same score but you have to take into account that ATLA has more votes.
Feb 6, 2015 3:30 AM

Jan 2014
Moneyburns said:

And Rick and Morty though great will also go down in time with more exposure.

You'll are just deceiving yourselfs. ATLA is a 10/10 no matter where you go. It would definitely hold the spot of best anime. Only RWBY could come close.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Feb 6, 2015 3:32 AM

Jun 2014
RedRoseFring said:
Moneyburns said:

You'll are just deceiving yourselfs. ATLA is a 10/10 no matter where you go. It would definitely hold the spot of best anime. Only RWBY could come close.

Isn't RWBY that show with god-awful animation, bad characters, generally bad episodes? OP is good though.
Feb 6, 2015 3:34 AM

Jan 2014
Kagami_Hiiragi said:
RedRoseFring said:

Isn't RWBY that show with god-awful animation, bad characters, generally bad episodes? OP is good though.

Still better than 80% of anime.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Feb 6, 2015 3:37 AM

Jun 2014
RedRoseFring said:
Kagami_Hiiragi said:

RWBY? I've seen the entire first season and saw nothing more than a knock-off. RWBY was really bad, unlike Avatar.
Feb 6, 2015 3:40 AM

Nov 2014
Nah.

I really like Avatar, watched every series and even the comedy spinoffs, and I've also read the continuation comics.

But no, I don't think so.

Also, RWBY would be a high 7 at best IMO, and I really liked that thing. I was really saddened by Monty Oum's death.

Feb 6, 2015 3:40 AM

Jul 2014
RedRoseFring said:
Kagami_Hiiragi said:

You didn't even watch 2% of all anime
Feb 6, 2015 3:41 AM

Jan 2014
Kagami_Hiiragi said:
RedRoseFring said:

RWBY? I've seen the entire first season and saw nothing more than a knock-off. RWBY was really bad, unlike Avatar.

I'd have no idea. I haven't watched it.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Feb 6, 2015 3:44 AM

Jun 2014
I knew it, lol.

RWBY in general just wasn't good. I can't speak for S2, but S1 had awkward animation, characters more generic than harem girls, bad episodes with bad material.

I just saw nothing go right.
Feb 6, 2015 3:47 AM

Nov 2014
Kagami_Hiiragi said:
I knew it, lol.

RWBY in general just wasn't good. I can't speak for S2, but S1 had awkward animation, characters more generic than harem girls, bad episodes with bad material.

As much as I like the series, I agree.

RWBY feels like a tribute or a spinoff more than an actual series.

I just loved it because of the OST, the character design, and the glorious fight scenes (especially in S2)

Feb 6, 2015 4:03 AM

Oct 2014
Chelizzle said:
It would be divided into season right?And I don't think that any season on his own is a masterpiece,it's more about the overall picture imo.
But sure,a lot of people would score it a 10 and it would eventually be in the top 60.
LOK(Book 4)could replace Skelter Heaven as the lowest scored anime and I would be fine with it.

Well, if Avatar is included into DB it would be just one Anime, Look at LOGH for example I think.
The truth is there. The lie is in your head.
Feb 6, 2015 4:07 AM

Aug 2014
hahaha7x said:
Chelizzle said:
It would be divided into season right?And I don't think that any season on his own is a masterpiece,it's more about the overall picture imo.
But sure,a lot of people would score it a 10 and it would eventually be in the top 60.
LOK(Book 4)could replace Skelter Heaven as the lowest scored anime and I would be fine with it.

Well, if Avatar is included into DB it would be just one Anime, Look at LOGH for example I think.

That was an OVA, though.
MAL splits seasons of TV shows, I think.
Feb 6, 2015 4:19 AM

Dec 2014
ANIME-STYLE CARTOON=SHIT
Feb 6, 2015 4:22 AM

Dec 2013
ghoullovesharem said:
ANIME-STYLE CARTOON=SHIT
ok
Feb 6, 2015 4:28 AM

Jan 2014
ghoullovesharem said:
ANIME=SHIT
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Feb 6, 2015 4:39 AM

Feb 2013
If you look at how high it is at hummingbird and the scores of MAL and Hummingbird are lot like each other, I'm pretty sure Book 3 of ATLA would be in top 20 or at least top 30
Feb 6, 2015 5:03 AM
Mar 2012
AzureDaora said:
Kagami_Hiiragi said:
I knew it, lol.

As much as I like the series, I agree.

RWBY feels like a tribute or a spinoff more than an actual series.

I just loved it because of the OST, the character design, and the glorious fight scenes (especially in S2)

This.

Though I don't like RWBY, it has very nice character designs and a lot of love put into the world - that doesn't make it good but it has its own charm.

If you want to really judge it though it's got a generic plot and characters which feel like they exist for yuri-bait a lot of the time. The best thing about it is the style - which is why the character introductions before the series aired are, imo, the best the series gets.

I wouldn't call it bad - just generic outside of the art. It feels a little too much like an anime fan wrote an anime...
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» Do you get offended by sensitive content in Old Anime? ( 1 2 )

Dragevard - Apr 8

82 by SnipeStrike »»
1 minute ago

» Character explaining their own power to opponent is stupid, why do they do that?

Rinrinka - 26 minutes ago

10 by Hitagi__Furude »»
2 minutes ago

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

78 by TheMinkalex »»
2 minutes ago

» Describe your anime watching as one sentence.

LenRea - Apr 11

41 by DaikonOcelot »»
3 minutes ago

Poll: » Hentai is the worst anime genre ever created. ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 17

87 by KineticAckerman »»
4 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.