Forum Settings
Forums
New
Feb 5, 2015 9:01 PM

Jan 2013
Can you really say a show has terribly slow pacing if an anime's subject matter was meant to be slow and stretched? Can you say a show has horribly fast pacing if it's supposed to be action-y and top deck thriller?

How do you detect bad pacing?
Feb 5, 2015 9:01 PM

Jun 2014
With my bad pacing detector.
SyndiciateFeb 5, 2015 9:16 PM
Feb 5, 2015 9:02 PM

Apr 2013
It helps if you've read the manga and realize that they've adapted like five chapters that take ~10 minutes to read into one episode.

Mar 2008
We try to stick with one uguu per a measure. Use a metronome if you con't know how to count kawaiis.

But honestly, it's essentially a gut thing, isn't it?

Aug 2008
When you feel as though a series has changed writers halfway through.

In general, when resolutions or crucial plot points are truncated.

Case and point, SAO.
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur.
Feb 5, 2015 9:03 PM

Jan 2011
If it's too fast it's pretty easy to tell with how mish a mash it all seems. I don't know if I've ever seen pacing that was too slow.
Feb 5, 2015 9:05 PM

Jan 2013
ReaperCreeper said:
If it's too fast it's pretty easy to tell with how mish a mash it all seems. I don't know if I've ever seen pacing that was too slow.
Texhnolyze?

Jul 2012
When I get confused on what's going on.

Jan 2011
VitaminCaim said:
ReaperCreeper said:
Texhnolyze?
Haven't seen it.

May 2014
I'm not a fan of being too strict on pacing, although it's mainly evident in episodic Anime.

Get a plot line and cut it up into 30min segments, if you try to arrange things so that "something" is developed (or explodes) each episode then you can end up with shit getting messed (Technically speaking)

Kudos to any studio that does it well, but I'd rather it not be worried about.
Feb 5, 2015 9:06 PM

Aug 2008
VitaminCaim said:
ReaperCreeper said:
Texhnolyze?
Every SOL is too slow. How about that?

Can depend on the genre as for what is acceptable.
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur.
Feb 5, 2015 9:07 PM

Jan 2011
mayukachan said:
When I get confused on what's going on.
Or they could just suck at giving the viewers information.
Feb 5, 2015 9:07 PM

Oct 2012
VitaminCaim said:
ReaperCreeper said:
Texhnolyze?
Tex is slow but I think it works because its atmospheric so I wouldn't call it too slow.
Feb 5, 2015 9:11 PM

Dec 2013
Always thought "consistency" was a better word.

Bad pacing is when a show either gives the viewer too much information in too little time, or too little information in too much time.

As in, if there's a show where the characters announce they're going to work on some sort of project/experiment, and they take maybe half of the episode to prepare for said project, but then they only show the end result of what they worked on for like 30 seconds or so, it throws the viewer off.
Some popular shounen anime are guilty of doing this.
Especially if that short end result wasn't all that satisfying.

^ It feels inconsistent and the pacing was off, or "bad".
Step Into My Mind - ##&&##&&##&&
Feb 5, 2015 9:13 PM

Dec 2012
When episodes are airing but absolutely nothing of importance or significance is happening in them. Sometimes it's hard to judge the pacing of a series until it's over, but sometimes it's incredibly easy to spot bad pacing like in Bleach where great arcs are interrupted in mid fight for an entire arc of pointless crap and you're reminded of a certain Monty Python skit.

"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Feb 5, 2015 9:18 PM

Aug 2013
I have a random question regarding the pacing of a certain series.

A few days ago, my friend said that "Monster" should have been a 2-cour series (i.e. 22 to 26 episodes in length). He specifically mentioned how the second half of the show dragged on for way too long, despite all the episodes being vital to the whole story due to minute plot-relevant information in each.

Can anyone please share their opinion on this in terms of whether or not they agree?
Personally I can't see how any show could reduce its episode count by two-thirds (from the current total of 74), unless the pacing really was as horrendously slow as my friend made it out to be. An example of a show I watched with very slow pacing was "Space Brothers", but even that I felt the show only needed a reduction of one or two cours (out of the eight in total).

(On a side-note, I have yet to watch the series "Monster" because I know I will love it, so I'm saving it for a rainy day.)

More topics from this board

Poll: » Bare feet or pantyhoses?

Absurdo_N - Yesterday

30 by PlasticRobot »»
11 minutes ago

Poll: » How do you watch anime?

RobertBobert - 55 minutes ago

9 by RobertBobert »»
13 minutes ago

» Is it weird that I wish strong female characters would get sad ending?

Sanjay63773 - 5 hours ago

12 by Rhaelynne »»
14 minutes ago

» Do you fantasize about anime while you sleep?

Alpha_1_Zero - 2 hours ago

13 by Rhaelynne »»
19 minutes ago

» Early-mid 2000s anime – what are your thoughts?

Haneken2086 - Yesterday

26 by FedeMetal »»
25 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.