Forum Settings
Forums

How do you analyze an anime?(please read the first post before proceeding to type)

New
Feb 4, 2015 9:16 PM

Jan 2015
As the title said,How do you analyze an anime?Is it subjective or objective?
And before someone post 'There's no such thing as an objective analysis or review' let me clarify that by objective I mean 'a subjective opinion that is explained by objective reasoning'

Please No derail,pointless debates,or pointless post like 'TL;DR'.

Now that we got that out of the way,lets see how I review an anime-

Although I've never post reviews on blogs and never created youtube videos on anime reviews,I love analyzing animes.I write down my reviews on notebooks and compare them to online reviews.The same is the case with manga and light novels too(also games).
First I choose which anime to review on.I do this while being completely aware of what the anime is about,what genre it falls under,how much popularity the anime show obtained,what are the opinions of the general anime community,opinions of the haters,are these opinions biased or unbiased and are they rational,etc.
Then I watch and re-watch the anime in both sub and dub versions.
Most times,I watch the anime more 4-5 times for better analysis.
I give attention to plot,pacing,characterization,settings,basic facts on how the world of the particular anime works,what the anime wants to convey to the viewers,originality and cliches,sometimes to animation/art,and also to ester eggs if I'm lucky enough to notice it(like the one in Kill la Killa's reference to the movie Pulp Fiction)
I write good and bad points on each episodes of the anime and then generalize the reviews as a whole.Then I check my reviews for subjectivity and try to back these points with objective reasons(if I fail then I exclude that subjective point).
I don't give rankings to my reviews.Because I'm not good at ranking things.Sometimes I would praise a media but when someone asks me to rank it from 1-10,I would be ranking it very low even to my own surprise and vice-versa(You can see my list for a better picture).
I tend to make my reviews very long.Even longer than the current top 2 reviews on LoGH on MAL(seriously).This happens to be a problem when I make my friend read the reviews specially when he is in his infamous 'TL;DR' mode.
Lastly I go to various websites and compare my reviews to the online ones for better understanding of my own analysis and then I move on with my life.................(Will post reviews in the future.Probably)

The reason why I ranked some of the animes in my list is because for new people to get engaged into anime faster.It's not because I personally liked them or think that these shows are the best.And why I'm stating that here is because to avoid people posting stuffs like'You ranked Death Note high on your list.I won't bother with your questions'

Mods and professional reviewers are encouraged to post your reviewing methods and give advises.I'm an amateur on these things and would like to learn from the MAL community more.

Thanks in advance.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Feb 4, 2015 9:22 PM

Jan 2015
Varus said:
I try to go mostly Objective but I'm pretty sure subjective plays a part
Ok.But I would like more elaboration on that.Like what steps you follow for reviewing animes and all.
Feb 4, 2015 9:37 PM

Nov 2014
I try to be as objective as I can when critiquing art, but I don't think there's a way to be completely objective when judging something that's so inherently subjective.

Art is different things to different people. To some it's about how well someone is able to follow established rules and techniques. To others it's about how well it can elicit emotions and provoke thought.

When I watch an anime, consciously I'm paying attention to technique, and subconsciously I'm taking note of how story moments and character interactions appeal to my feels (biases, beliefs, expectations, etc).

There have been times when my expectations hampered my enjoyment of an anime. I've become more aware of this, and have given shows and movies second tries if I feel I wasn't fair to them the first time.
aikaflipFeb 4, 2015 9:40 PM
Feb 4, 2015 9:38 PM

Jan 2010
Short answer

Long answer

Feb 4, 2015 9:46 PM

Jan 2014
By how much it entertains me.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Feb 4, 2015 9:48 PM

Sep 2014
I just review based on what I think. I'll go through each individual category and give my honest thoughts about each. Personal enjoyment does have a big impact on my scores, but I do realize that it isnt at all indicitive of how good the show actually is, which is why I save that part for last. For everything else i state what I observed and give a straightforward analysis

I do realize that a lot of people dont like reading huge chunks of text, so I found having a quick summary helps if a review gets rather long
Feb 4, 2015 9:48 PM

Jan 2013
Are the characters consistent? Do they have chemistry?

Are there plot holes? Is the story inconsistent? Is the pacing "weird"?

How about the art? If the anime is dark and brooding, does the art accommodate it? If the anime is happy and comedic, is the art bright and colorful?

Does the music fit with the mood and pacing of the show? Are the voice actors doing a good job? Does the OP/ED fit with the thematic context of the show?

You look for the answers to those questions and then you have essentially performed an analysis.
Feb 4, 2015 9:50 PM

Jan 2015
aikaflip said:
I try to be as objective as I can when critiquing art, but I don't think there's a way to be completely objective when judging something that's so inherently subjective.

Art is different things to different people. To some it's about how well someone is able to follow established rules and techniques. To others it's about how well it can elicit emotions and provoke thought.

When I watch an anime, consciously I'm paying attention to technique, and subconsciously I'm taking note of how story moments and character interactions appeal to my feels (biases, beliefs, expectations, etc).

There have been times when my expectations hampered my enjoyment of an anime. I've become more aware of this, and have given shows and movies second tries if I feel I wasn't fair to them the first time.
Yes,art doesn't have a single definition if we consider people's opinions.And yes,we truly can't judge things entirely while being objective to it.So we try to be as unbiased as possible like you stated.
Also I think people should be more like what you did.Giving shows second chances rather than dismissing it for irrational reasons.
Feb 4, 2015 9:51 PM

Jan 2015
Shocked said:
Short answer

Long answer

That's philosophical of you.Thanks for the post.
I learn more as I read them.
Feb 4, 2015 9:52 PM

Jan 2015
RedRoseFring said:
By how much it entertains me.
ok.
Feb 4, 2015 9:56 PM

Jan 2015
utkaar099 said:
I just review based on what I think. I'll go through each individual category and give my honest thoughts about each. Personal enjoyment does have a big impact on my scores, but I do realize that it isnt at all indicitive of how good the show actually is, which is why I save that part for last. For everything else i state what I observed and give a straightforward analysis

I do realize that a lot of people dont like reading huge chunks of text, so I found having a quick summary helps if a review gets rather long
Thanks for posting your reviewing method.I would also like to summarize my reviews but I'm very good at that leaving out important points.So,I'm still practicing on that.
Feb 4, 2015 9:58 PM

Jun 2014
I don't like to over complicate things and watch anime because its entertaining in my eyes. I rate based on my entertainment added with a few other little things.
Feb 4, 2015 9:59 PM

Jan 2011
How much I liked it. Although when I think about it I guess that is dependent on all the things people tend to list in their reviews.
Feb 4, 2015 10:00 PM

Jan 2015
VitaminCaim said:
Are the characters consistent? Do they have chemistry?

Are there plot holes? Is the story inconsistent? Is the pacing "weird"?

How about the art? If the anime is dark and brooding, does the art accommodate it? If the anime is happy and comedic, is the art bright and colorful?

Does the music fit with the mood and pacing of the show? Are the voice actors doing a good job? Does the OP/ED fit with the thematic context of the show?

You look for the answers to those questions and then you have essentially performed an analysis.
Thanks! Now I'm more aware on how to review animes.Can't wait to analyse an anime soon.
Feb 4, 2015 10:02 PM

Jan 2015
Kagami_Hiiragi said:
I don't like to over complicate things and watch anime because its entertaining in my eyes. I rate based on my entertainment added with a few other little things.
In the beginning I was like that too.But after developing love for reading materials I took these things on a more professional level(still an amateur).
Feb 4, 2015 10:03 PM

Oct 2012
On my first watch I don't try to analyze the show, I enjoy the purity of just taking in everything its presenting. It is only after I finish that I begin to ponder and ask questions, such as what was it trying to do, what worked, what didn't, and why, letting it mull around in my mind for awhile.

Feb 4, 2015 10:04 PM

Jan 2015
ReaperCreeper said:
How much I liked it. Although when I think about it I guess that is dependent on all the things people tend to list in their reviews.
Yep.Some people also do background profiling of the production company,director,writer and voice actors(I do that).But I think doing so can make you much more biased.
Feb 4, 2015 10:06 PM

Jun 2014
Copyright_Sucks said:
Kagami_Hiiragi said:
In the beginning I was like that too.But after developing love for reading materials I took these things on a more professional level(still an amateur).

Nothing wrong with that, but I also feel once you start over-analyzing stuff you begin becoming obsessed with every little detail and start disliking a medium. Not to say you will of course.
Feb 4, 2015 10:07 PM

Jan 2015
Shrabster said:
On my first watch I don't try to analyze the show, I enjoy the purity of just taking in everything its presenting. It is only after I finish that I begin to ponder and ask questions, such as what was it trying to do, what worked, what didn't, and why, letting it mull around in my mind for awhile.
That's what I do too.But I take that thinking much further than necessary.
Feb 4, 2015 10:10 PM

Jan 2010
Shrabster said:

I kinda get that. It's a pain to try and think about stuff while watching shows for the first time. If a show has problems that can be pointed out while watching casually though, it's at that point where something seriously went wrong.
Feb 4, 2015 10:10 PM

Jan 2015
Kagami_Hiiragi said:
Copyright_Sucks said:

Nothing wrong with that, but I also feel once you start over-analyzing stuff you begin becoming obsessed with every little detail and start disliking a medium. Not to say you will of course.
Haha.That's what most people dismiss critics as.But they are true about that.Over doing things can just land you to a ridiculous mind set.
I will be careful of that when analyse stuffs.But I don't think I can resist the temptation of Sturgeon's law.I can only hope.
Feb 4, 2015 10:22 PM

May 2012
I am a passive watcher so I watch the show and then absorb everything in. Sometimes the show has glaring flaws I can point out on the first watch, but sometimes that isn't the case.

I begin to deconstruct the anime in my head after a day or two. I break it down into several categories.

Characters: What is their role in relation to the narrative Did they change? What is their backstory? How did they advance the plot? How were their dynamics with other characters? Where these interactions interesting?

Story: What is the overarching goal of the show? Was it paced adequately so that it did not dampen the potential affect of the narrative? Did it entertain me? Was there any symbolism? What are the major themes? Were there any themes that I missed? Was their glaring plotholes? Were certain scenes poorly written? Was the world believable? Was their symbolism?

Sound: Did the voice actors capture the emotion of certain scenes? Did the soundtrack serve to enhance the experience?

Art: I don't give a shit unless it is super bad.

And after think about those things comes the "digestion," process. After deconstructing the major components of the anime and story, I decide whether first and foremost, did the anime succeed at what it wanted to do? And after that, I don't really give a shit.
Feb 4, 2015 10:37 PM

Nov 2012
i dont.
because anime is entertainment, not homework, no need to analyze things, just have fun .
IF YOU LIKE DEATH PARADE, GO WATCH BARTENDER!!!
my animesongs chord thread : here bro
Feb 4, 2015 10:39 PM
Jun 2014
PoeticJustice said:
I am a passive watcher so I watch the show and then absorb everything in. Sometimes the show has glaring flaws I can point out on the first watch, but sometimes that isn't the case.

I begin to deconstruct the anime in my head after a day or two. I break it down into several categories.

Characters: What is their role in relation to the narrative Did they change? What is their backstory? How did they advance the plot? How were their dynamics with other characters? Where these interactions interesting?

Story: What is the overarching goal of the show? Was it paced adequately so that it did not dampen the potential affect of the narrative? Did it entertain me? Was there any symbolism? What are the major themes? Were there any themes that I missed? Was their glaring plotholes? Were certain scenes poorly written? Was the world believable? Was their symbolism?

Sound: Did the voice actors capture the emotion of certain scenes? Did the soundtrack serve to enhance the experience?

And after think about those things comes the "digestion," process. After deconstructing the major components of the anime and story, I decide whether first and foremost, did the anime succeed at what it wanted to do? And after that, I don't really give a shit.
PoeticJustice said:

You mean the Character like Shiro form Log Horizon
Feb 4, 2015 10:40 PM
Jun 2014
Copyright_Sucks said:
As the title said,How do you analyze an anime?Is it subjective or objective?
And before someone post 'There's no such thing as an objective analysis or review' let me clarify that by objective I mean 'a subjective opinion that is explained by objective reasoning'

Please No derail,pointless debates,or pointless post like 'TL;DR'.

Now that we got that out of the way,lets see how I review an anime-

Although I've never post reviews on blogs and never created youtube videos on anime reviews,I love analyzing animes.I write down my reviews on notebooks and compare them to online reviews.The same is the case with manga and light novels too(also games).
First I choose which anime to review on.I do this while being completely aware of what the anime is about,what genre it falls under,how much popularity the anime show obtained,what are the opinions of the general anime community,opinions of the haters,are these opinions biased or unbiased and are they rational,etc.
I give attention to plot,pacing,characterization,settings,basic facts on how the world of the particular anime works,what the anime wants to convey to the viewers,originality and cliches,sometimes to animation/art,and also to ester eggs if I'm lucky enough to notice it(like the one in Kill la Killa's reference to the movie Pulp Fiction)
I write good and bad points on each episodes of the anime and then generalize the reviews as a whole.Then I check my reviews for subjectivity and try to back these points with objective reasons(if I fail then I exclude that subjective point).
I don't give rankings to my reviews.Because I'm not good at ranking things.Sometimes I would praise a media but when someone asks me to rank it from 1-10,I would be ranking it very low even to my own surprise and vice-versa(You can see my list for a better picture).
I tend to make my reviews very long.Even longer than the current top 2 reviews on LoGH on MAL(seriously).This happens to be a problem when I make my friend read the reviews specially when he is in his infamous 'TL;DR' mode.
Lastly I go to various websites and compare my reviews to the online ones for better understanding of my own analysis and then I move on with my life.................(Will post reviews in the future.Probably)

The reason why I ranked some of the animes in my list is because for new people to get engaged into anime faster.It's not because I personally liked them or think that these shows are the best.And why I'm stating that here is because to avoid people posting stuffs like'You ranked Death Note high on your list.I won't bother with your questions'

Mods and professional reviewers are encouraged to post your reviewing methods and give advises.I'm an amateur on these things and would like to learn from the MAL community more.

Thanks in advance.

How do I tell
Well, for all the anime I already watched, This is my opinion itself.

1. Good anime usually very usually have an interesting or sometime original/unique Opening, good SFX play a part too.
2. Original story, cause I watched Anime after I watch its manga or LN, so the story tend to less attractive for me. [like Code Geass or Glasslip or even alternative story like Tokyo Ghoul Root A]
3.I prefer the story that make me Brainstorming NOT boring fanservice (e.g Hyouka, Psycho Pass)
4.I prefer watch adaptation Anime from LN, if I want to watch Anime that have a less episode and Unique Plot/Story (cause Manga is tend to be too long). Having less episode is much more compelling cause the Ending is near and I can watch other anime as I already finish it.

E.g for Original Opening Kamisama Hajimemashita or TWGOK
E.g for Good Opening Barakamon
E.g for Good SFX No Game no Life
Feb 4, 2015 10:53 PM
Jun 2014
Shocked said:
Short answer

Long answer

Well If you mean The Criteria is just someone taste
"In matter of Taste there can be no dispute" Its OK to use parameter that you like
Feb 4, 2015 11:39 PM
♡( •ॢ◡-ॢ)✧˖° ♡

Dec 2014
Copyright_Sucks said:
As the title said,How do you analyze an anime?

I read the anime's synopsis first. If i like it, then i will proceed to watch it. But that doesn't guarantee i won't drop it halfway. Simple as that

(っ◔◡◔)っ 𝓘 𝔀𝓲𝓼𝓱 𝔂𝓸𝓾 𝓪𝓵𝓵 𝓱𝓪𝓿𝓮 𝓪 𝔀𝓸𝓷𝓭𝓮𝓻𝓯𝓾𝓵 𝓭𝓪𝔂 ♥
Feb 5, 2015 12:31 AM

Nov 2011
I think the most important question I've asked myself in criticism of my own method of rating/analyzing, is "how much does intent matter?" I base my analysis almost wholly upon the story of a work, but not every work tries to be a good story. It's what I value the most, but it is forever a limitation of my system of evaluation at the same time because, in the critical rating/analysis itself, I cannot express why I enjoyed a show I view as "bad". That only comes in the realm of what I consider personal bias- with genres such as comedy being the hardest for me to analyze (in fact, you could argue that analyzing comedy in a story sense is completely missing the point).

That aside, I do indeed rate on "story", which I view as all-encompassing of the writing aspect of the show. There are certain general ideas attached to "story" that I view as critical in importance, such as the willing suspension of disbelief and originality, but beyond that I split it into three primary sub-aspects: the plot, the characterization, and the themes. I believe each of these sub-aspects are complimentary, and generally more than one sub-aspect needs to be "good" in order for the whole story to be "good".

Characters are needed to carry out the plot, making them very important. Characterization, perhaps, relies more on the intent of the work than any other aspect in how I perceive them in a qualitative sense. Firstly, characters can be one dimensional, two dimensional, or three dimensional (or colloquially height, breath, and depth). The height of a character is how important they are to the story; the "taller" a character is, the more breadth and depth they need. Background characters and side characters are often okay with height alone: They usually have one or two defining traits and not much else. Anything more needs breadth at least. Breadth is the amount of variation within a character and how those traits interact with each other; dere characters are probably the easiest example anime fans would be familiar with- some initial characteristic or quality comes into contrast with another characteristic or quality. The larger the variety of responses a character has to different situations or circumstances, the broader they are. Recurring characters tend to need at least two dimensions (height and breadth) to be considered good, though primary characters can get away with it too if the story focuses on examining a certain type of character in depth, or if the story is theme-based and a two dimensional primary best serves said themes. The final and most talked about dimension, depth, has to do with another popular term, character development. Basically, depth is how a characters changes in a viewer's perception the more they know about them. Revealing more aspects about the character, often via backstory or unusual circumstances, gives the characters "depth" or a sense of believability. Primary characters generally need this to be considered good, but as noted above there are exceptions. Character development is interchangeable with "gaining depth"; character growth is sometimes used to describe an actual change in a character's personality rather than a change in viewer perception of the character. Static characters don't undergo character growth throughout the course of the story, and dynamic characters do undergo character growth throughout the course of the story. A character's status as static or dynamic is not a positive or negative in and of itself.

The plot ties the characters and the themes together, making it crucial to the story. Plot encompasses the events of the story first and foremost, with ideas such as tension (foreshadowing, mystery, twists, etc.), atmosphere (idealism vs. cynicism, silliness vs. seriousness, etc.), setting (worldbuilding, consistency of internal mechanics, etc.), and so on being under its umbrella. I can expand on any specific sub-category of the plot if someone likes, but for sake of brevity I will not discuss at length each individual aspect and what makes it good/bad in this post. In short, tension reigns supreme here. Every plot needs some sort of conflict, be it internal or external, and the manner/structure the plot uses to build up to the climax and resolution of the conflict (the tension) is important. It is worth noting that there can be conflicts contained within conflicts as well; these are often referred to as sub-plots or story arcs.

The themes give meaning to events or characterization. They encompass the message of the work, the ideas behind the work, and the symbolism contained within the work. It's what the story is trying to convey to the consumer indirectly through the plot/characters. Having a singular overarching theme tends to be preferable to multiple minor disconnected themes. Also, having a "theme conclusion" is also important- it's not enough to convey an idea (e.g. "sickness is bad"); there needs to be a reasoning behind or outcome to the theme (e.g. "sickness is bad because it makes people sad", or "you should make sure not to get sick because..."). Themes can be multi-layered, containing sub-themes with conclusions that lead to the primary theme conclusion. When someone refers to a story as "deep", you can generally assume they're talking about good theme exploration.

Aspects I don't consider important to story evaluation is mostly encompassed in the broad definition of fanservice, meaning anything that doesn't directly relate to the above that consumers like anyway. This includes action scenes, romance scenes, emotional scenes for the sake of emotional scenes (rule of drama, referred to by some as melodrama), symbolism for the sake of symbolism, comedy, glorious mecha, ecchi scenes, and so on. Fanservice can be considered good or bad as fanservice, but in relation to story I generally only view it as neutral (non-intrusive or a natural outcome of the story) or negative (intrusive to the story or a substitute for a story).

In the end the main thing I try to do is figure out the point of the story (not the point of the anime/work, the point of the story, if the anime is even about the story) and place emphasis on the relevant sub-aspects accordingly. A good story generally has at least one sub-aspect it focuses on, and (again, generally) needs at least one strong supporting aspect in addition to the focus aspect.

Also, as an aside, I do think the soundtrack can (lightly) affect atmosphere since it helps set the mood of the work, but generally it relates more to drama fanservice. Similarly, the art can convey certain aspects of the setting or even the themes to a degree, but it's mostly just there to look pretty (or ugly).

My method of analysis does deem certain types of works or even genres as inferior, such as fanservice-based shows (most comedy, most ecchi, etc.) or certain theme-based shows without good character/plot support. This does not entirely relate to my enjoyment, however, since I can enjoy comedy or action fanservice (for example) even if I don't deem it "good" in a story sense.

As for the actual process, I start evaluating from episode one. I don't make myself rewatch shows immediately, though I do plan on rewatching shows that I think I can get more out of on a second time through if it helps create an overall better understanding/appreciation for the work. (This is in addition to and not necessarily related to rewatches due to personal enjoyment.) I don't keep a running tally or anything like that, though I do sometimes rate as I go along. I also don't care much whether it's popular, who made it, how it compares to the original work (if applicable), and so on in my analysis.

Oh and btw, nice thread. It's the best I've seen in AD in quite awhile.
Feb 5, 2015 12:41 AM

Apr 2013
I compare the show with others I've watched before and rate it that way. How much had I wanted to see the next episode? Did I like the characters? Did I enjoy it overall? Music plays some part too, but not that much. Good characters are probably most important.
Feb 5, 2015 1:06 AM

May 2014
I really believe anime shouldn't be rated objectively. Anime is meant to entertain and appeal to the audience on an emotional level. And I think it should be rated on how well it actually does that. Now, if an anime is rated on how well it develops its characters, its plot, etc..... Objectively it doesn't really make any sense. People should rate anime on how well they liked it. One's analysis could be comepletely different from someone else's. I put this to an extreme when I rate. I basically rate an anime on how much emotion it can evoke out of me.
Feb 5, 2015 1:52 AM

Nov 2014
1. It would depend on what genre I am watching. Say, if the anime is a comedy, I will expect to laugh. If it is an ecchi, I will expect stupidity.

2. I will only rate an anime if it is finished, since it could be worse or better during its run time.

3. I will try and gather information about it, say "Is there character development?", "Is the premise interesting?", such and whatnot.

4. If I enjoy something, that does not really mean that it is good. I enjoyed watching Mars of Destruction, and as you might already know that is nowhere near good. Pure Comedy and Ecchi anime are exception to this.

5. I will also analyze the story and characters, like "Are there big, gaping plotholes?", "Are there Asspulls?", "Does the character motivations fit for the character?", "Does the story make sense?", "Are there main characters suddenly neglected?", such and such.

6. The themes are given consideration as well, but whether or not you find the themes that are presented interesting is subjective. Of course, the themes presented must fit with the anime and what it is talking about.

7. I must also consider what the anime is trying to do as well. For example, Madoka Magica plays with the fact that "Things are not what it seems", Penguindrum plays a lot with symbolism, and Shinsekai Yori plays with clashing ideals and hypocrisy.

8. The most important thing for me is not the Story nor the Characters, but those are very important, but rather the Delivery. If you can deliver even the most weirdest premise well, then you are a good anime IMO. Such is the case with anime like Penguindrum.

9. I tend to think less of shows that suddenly change their atmosphere, not like the Zetsuen no Tempest kind, where the second season's overall feel to it is different from the first season. It's more like Btooom!, where the anime will present you something serious then suddenly fanservice.
I tend to suddenly phase away from the story and just laugh at the stupidity.

9. There is a somewhat big difference between a 3 and a 4, a 7 and an 8, an 8 and a 9, and a 9 and a 10 for me.

10. Other things like animation, music, and such are taken into consideration as well. Even if you have the best story in existence, if I can't even look at the anime properly then it's all wasted.

This may all seem rather complicated, but this is all done almost automatically in my head. After I finish an anime, I just think for a little bit, like 5 minutes or more then I proceed to rate.
AzureDaoraFeb 5, 2015 3:28 AM

Feb 5, 2015 2:09 AM

Jul 2014
I don't really analyze anime. I think of ratings as categories. Lower ratings for enjoyable anime and higher ratings for memorable anime.
Actually I think analysis often leads to overinterpretation. I enjoyed series like NGE, Lain and Utena because I had considered just their emotional impact and style.
Feb 5, 2015 2:13 AM

Jul 2014
Copyright_Sucks said:
Kagami_Hiiragi said:

I can easily understand what you mean. Analyzing is a form of entertainment in itself.
Feb 5, 2015 3:09 AM

Dec 2013
TL;DR

jk

Copyright_Sucks said:

][_, ([]) ][_,

Don't ask people how to write a review, find your own reviewing style.

But to answet the question in the topic: I tried to create a rating system like 15% story, 20% music, 25% characters etc but I couldn't find a suitable one so I just rate the way I like. Mostly enjoyment but other parts also play a role.
Feb 5, 2015 3:23 AM

Dec 2013
WAD1992 said:

lol indeed ...

Music is more important than story for me so the problem didn't lie here.
Characters are much more important than story for me. It doesn't matter if the story is good when the characters are meh.
Feb 5, 2015 3:34 AM

May 2014
HazukashiiDesu said:
WAD1992 said:

lol indeed ...

Music is more important than story for me so the problem didn't lie here.
Characters are much more important than story for me. It doesn't matter if the story is good when the characters are meh.

not all stories needs to have GOOD developed characters .... the perfect example is the recent SSY , the support characters are practically dolls that are underdeveloped as hell ... but the story is solid, which is why it received GREAT reception.
Before watching an anime, know what the anime is trying to convey, know it's goals , and judge it basing on THAT ..... if you do so, then you can be -to a certain degree - objectively analyzing it , hence you'd be doing the anime ACTUAL justice.
Feb 5, 2015 3:54 AM

Dec 2013
WAD1992 said:

not all stories needs to have GOOD developed characters .... the perfect example is the recent SSY , the support characters are practically dolls that are underdeveloped as hell ... but the story is solid, which is why it received GREAT reception.
Before watching an anime, know what the anime is trying to convey, know it's goals , and judge it basing on THAT ..... if you do so, then you can be -to a certain degree - objectively analyzing it , hence you'd be doing the anime ACTUAL justice.

I don't care about objective analyzing though. Anime is a means of entertainment for me in the first place. As you said, SSY had underdeveloped characters and it's one of the reasons I don't like this anime.
Feb 5, 2015 4:19 AM

Aug 2008
By how much it interested me.

Anyway,I always LOL at some people who like to overanalyze anime as if anime is some kind of Shakspeare work or some deep literature work when the truth is,anime is mostly for teenagers.

-EDIT-
Another similar thread.

http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1341969&show=0
ZapredonFeb 5, 2015 4:38 AM
But it's important to remember that a movie review is subjective;it only gives you one person's opinion.

http://www.classzone.com/books/lnetwork_gr08/page_build.cfm?content=analyz_media&ch=30

It doesn't matter if you like LoGH,Monster etc.If you are a jobless or college/school dropout living in your mom basement, you are still an unintelligent loser. Taste in anime does not make you a better person.If elitist don't exist, casual pleb and shit taste also don't exist.
Feb 5, 2015 4:24 AM

May 2014
Zapredon said:

Anyway,I always LOL at some people who like to overanalyze anime as if anime is some kind of Shakspeare work or some freaking literature.

despite the fact that MOST anime is stupid shit, there are a few with unique and beautiful stories, there's no problem analyzing those, even if they aren't literature ....
Feb 5, 2015 4:27 AM

May 2014
HazukashiiDesu said:
WAD1992 said:

I don't care about objective analyzing though. Anime is a means of entertainment for me in the first place. As you said, SSY had underdeveloped characters and it's one of the reasons I don't like this anime.

thats okay bro, stating that you enjoyed something or not is NOT bad, but what i'm saying is that it shouldn't influence your overall perception of the story, which is kinda of a lost cause here on MAL ......... guess just we should just leave things as they are.
ZA_WAYDFeb 5, 2015 4:34 AM
Feb 5, 2015 4:27 AM

Jul 2014
WAD1992 said:
Zapredon said:

Anyway,I always LOL at some people who like to overanalyze anime as if anime is some kind of Shakspeare work or some freaking literature.

despite the fact that MOST anime is stupid shit, there are a few with unique and beautiful stories, there's no problem analyzing those, even if they aren't literature ....

Listen to him, everyone, he watched all anime to know that most of them are stupid shit.
Feb 5, 2015 4:32 AM

May 2014
Okashi_sama said:
WAD1992 said:

Listen to him, everyone, he watched all anime to know that most of them are stupid shit.

1) mmmm, if your saying this as a sarcastic remark because my profile is empty ...... well .......LAWL .
2) if you got offended by that sentence, that would imply , dunno............. insecurity maybe :|

either way stop derailing the thread please ;)
Feb 5, 2015 4:37 AM

Jul 2014
WAD1992 said:
Okashi_sama said:

1) mmmm, if your saying this as a sarcastic remark because my profile is empty ...... well .......LAWL .
2) if you got offended by that sentence, that would imply , dunno............. insecurity maybe :|

lol, you're so funny, unless you watched over 9000 anime, which according to MAL graph is most anime your sentence is baseless and it's just you talking out of your ass. and i can prove you wrong, easily. just tell me what is Stupid shit by your standards?

"insecurity". lol. "someone is gonna actually prove me wrong, better call him insecure and say he gets offended by my words" is what you probably meant with your 2nd point.
Feb 5, 2015 4:59 AM

May 2014
Okashi_sama said:
WAD1992 said:

lol, you're so funny, unless you watched over 9000 anime, which according to MAL graph is most anime your sentence is baseless and it's just you talking out of your ass. and i can prove you wrong, easily. just tell me what is Stupid shit by your standards?

"insecurity". lol. "someone is gonna actually prove me wrong, better call him insecure and say he gets offended by my words" is what you probably meant with your 2nd point.

okayyy, i can see your a hard core anime fan, before we derail this thread in a BAD direction any longer, imma gonna try to establish common grounds with you in this side-discussion:
1) anime with immature content is what i perceive to be "stupid shit".
2) immature content is what i perceive to be :
a)generic un-original stories with no actual depth or moral msgs. or/and shallow one dimensional characters with NO deep layers or/and bad world building (bad attention to CRITICAL details that needs further elaboration so that the viewer can make sens of a certain event/scene).
b) excessive use of fan-service (sexual or otherwise) to appeal to the viewer's shallow needs or/and out-bloated animation to compensate for the lack of originality in the story ....

There are allot more of these, but the ones i mentioned mostly define what i see as "immature content"..
Also i highlighted or/and to imply that, NOT ALL anime should NOT have these flaws in them to be perceived as "mature"
If you disagree with me on 1 and 2 , then we have entirely different understanding of what is "stupid shit" hence i doubt this discussion could progress in any GOOD direction.
Feb 5, 2015 5:13 AM

Feb 2013
I analyze it very subjectively, the most important part is the entertaining, some animes maight be bad but if I enjoyed it that's an approved to me.

Feb 5, 2015 5:15 AM

May 2014
badwolf45f said:
I analyze it very subjectively, the most important part is the entertaining, some animes maight be bad but if I enjoyed it that's an approved to me.

It's important to state such facts, why cant other people get that??!!
Feb 5, 2015 5:18 AM

Aug 2008
WAD1992 said:
badwolf45f said:

Because good or bad is subjective. Enjoyment aside,what is consider good anime might not be consider good by others.

The way people analyze anime is also subjective even if they put aside enjoyment.
But it's important to remember that a movie review is subjective;it only gives you one person's opinion.

http://www.classzone.com/books/lnetwork_gr08/page_build.cfm?content=analyz_media&ch=30

It doesn't matter if you like LoGH,Monster etc.If you are a jobless or college/school dropout living in your mom basement, you are still an unintelligent loser. Taste in anime does not make you a better person.If elitist don't exist, casual pleb and shit taste also don't exist.
Feb 5, 2015 5:18 AM

Oct 2010
WAD1992 said:
jal90 said:
Shallow, generic, fanservice, shit taste, immaturity, deep layers, fanboys, objective analysis.

Please stop with the buzzwords, guys, my brain is melting.

Please don't tell me that these words are considered baiting/flaming also??!!

Not baiting or flaming. They are overused because they are cheap ways to express liking/disdain for something, and quite often don't have a solid ground to be used. Stating that something is shallow and generic, or deep and original, is useless to discussion if there is not anything beyond this, as to why show A is shallow, why being shallow ruins it, why show B is deep, and why being deep makes it better than A. And etc.
jal90Feb 5, 2015 5:23 AM
Feb 5, 2015 5:19 AM

Feb 2013
WAD1992 said:
badwolf45f said:

Because there are so much tsunderes out there that can't admit they enjoyed some shows :p

Feb 5, 2015 5:32 AM

May 2014
jal90 said:
WAD1992 said:

Please don't tell me that these words are considered baiting/flaming also??!!

They are overused because they are cheap ways to express liking/disdain for something, and quite often don't have a solid ground to be used. Stating that something is shallow and generic, or deep and original, is useless to discussion if there is not anything beyond this, as to why show A is shallow, why being shallow ruins it, why show B is deep, and why being deep makes it better than A. And etc.

That is one of THE MOST REASONABLE arguments i have heard so far here on MAL !!!!
i like you ... :3
Okay here is my take on this:
First case:
1) Lets say show A is trying to deliver a certain msg. X and it fails (for some obvious and OVERALL accepted reason).
2) Lets say show B is trying to deliver the same msg. as A but succeeds.
would that make B better then A ??

Second case:
In a show that MOSTLY revolves around ONE MC and support characters are used as plot-devices to develop said character.
Lets say after a "significant and critical" number of character development points, the MC still manages to come off as one dimensional without showing any singes of growth.
Wouldn't this be considered a MAJOR flaw in this anime??
And wouldn't using certain generic "distractions" from this FLAW reduces the quality of the anime in question ??
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Your top 5 anime couples

Anjumhossain - Dec 12, 2022

37 by Chileno-12 »»
12 minutes ago

» What are your thoughts on harem anime?

BuddhaIsBetter - Today

43 by DoisacChopper »»
18 minutes ago

Poll: » Best Russian in anime

Catalano - Yesterday

39 by weebtoge »»
18 minutes ago

» Character explaining their own power to opponent is stupid, why do they do that?

Rinrinka - 10 hours ago

36 by KenaiPhoenix »»
27 minutes ago

» Is it ok to finish anime you don't enjoy ?

Alpha_1_Zero - 6 hours ago

37 by ChrisBlitz »»
40 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.