Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Feb 3, 2015 12:48 PM

Dec 2012
-Klad- said:
tsudecimo said:

The problem with the quotation objective you are using, is that standards are not universal and how to interpret the quality of literary terms isn't either. So a statement can be objective only by your own standards, which is completely pointless and worthless.

Isnt this the same with what he stated? You guys have me confused here lol

Did he lol?
I didn't bother reading all his post. I just skimmed it.
Feb 3, 2015 12:48 PM

Mar 2014
chuuzenjis said:
sullynathan said:

I've always found this definition weird.
I know people whose personality is very contradictory with their actions. Would they be badly written in a story?

i think it's more about the fact that those characters usually only suddenly act a certain way because it's convenient for the plot

If it happens once then would the character still be badly written?
Feb 3, 2015 12:49 PM

Oct 2012
Badly written characters are characters which have been characterized inconsistently.
Feb 3, 2015 12:51 PM

Dec 2012
keragamming said:
chuuzenjis said:
I feel like a lot of people call a character 'badly-written' when they simply do not like them.
What is your personal criteria when you call a character 'badly-written'?

Also please do give examples of such characters and why that particular character is 'badly written'.

I thought of this as well. Even if you show a person how much development a character gets, their opinion doesn't change. So Basically I don't like this character so he/she is badly written.

Well most of the time that's the case.

Probably because development is not the only thing that makes or breaks character, or they thought the development was bad.

I'm starting to hate this popular term.

Feb 2013
Badly written characters can also be ones that have little to no depth and really on horrible mood-breaking schtick (like Puck in Berserk, fuck that guy)

Nov 2010
romagia said:
what the hell is origin.myanimelist? why does that thread have negative pages? O_o is this some twilight zone website?
It's the test version of MAL IIRC that they use to try new features on before pushing it to the main site to prevent bugs etc. And that's what happens when you use a number that's not a multiple of 20 in the url.

http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1350513&show=15
Feb 3, 2015 12:52 PM

Jun 2010
romagia said:
what the hell is origin.myanimelist? why does that thread have negative pages? O_o is this some twilight zone website?

Haha, MAL.origin is -putting in simple terms- a ghost archive for the forums. I'm not sure if it's still functional for the recent stuff, but used to work back in the day. It's the one I have bookmarked (this one won't get erased with forum cleans).
Whenever we had our lists and/or profiles raided on SJJMaster and kind you simply open the ghost and fix it yourself.
Actually I think I'm not supposed to say this here ...but moderation has been MIA for the past week so whatever.

-Klad- said:
tsudecimo said:

The problem with the quotation objective you are using, is that standards are not universal and how to interpret the quality of literary terms isn't either. So a statement can be objective only by your own standards, which is completely pointless and worthless.

Isnt this the same with what he stated? You guys have me confused here lol

It is.
He's arguing with me and shoving a text-block that talks about framework while he doesn't even know what that is.
Feb 3, 2015 12:53 PM

Mar 2014
gedata said:
Badly written characters can also be ones that have little to no depth and really on horrible mood-breaking schtick (like Puck in Berserk, fuck that guy)

he's a comedy relief character.
Feb 3, 2015 12:53 PM

Dec 2012
gedata said:

Having a constant comic relief in a story like Berserk is pretty weird. I wanted to say Mako from KLK as well, but at least she fits the story and the general non-serious mood from it (she became really annoying after a while tho)
Feb 3, 2015 12:54 PM

May 2014
badwolf45f said:
WAD1992 said:

THANK YOU !!!
tbh, i had no intention of explaining this to someone who thinks cross ange is the best thing that happens to anime :") (not talking about you @badwolf , i haven't seen your list yet, but i hope this explanation made things a bit clearer about the whole anime/manga dilemma)

Well, I was talking about the anime not the manga, we all know manga > anime

sadly yes in most cases :(
Feb 3, 2015 12:54 PM

Jul 2014
sullynathan said:
chuuzenjis said:

i think it's more about the fact that those characters usually only suddenly act a certain way because it's convenient for the plot

If it happens once then would the character still be badly written?

i personally dont think so. i know humans who're like that so i don't think i'd personally consider it badly-written. but oftentimes there's a certain character and he will change only when it's convenient for the plot and then change back and it's jsut.. very inconsistent?
but then again that's why i'm curious as to what people consider badly-written. what do you consider badly-written?
Feb 3, 2015 12:55 PM

Dec 2012
xbobx said:

It is.
He's arguing with me and shoving a text-block that talks about framework while he doesn't even know what that is.

I understand what it means, you are just being aggressive for no reason.
Feb 3, 2015 1:04 PM

Jan 2014
Badly written character = Character I don't like. I've never used the term because it hardly means anything.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Feb 3, 2015 1:07 PM

Oct 2012
RedRoseFring said:
Badly written character = Character I don't like. I've never used the term because it hardly means anything.
I don't get this attitude at all, some characters aren't meant to be likable and I don't think that makes them a bad character.
Feb 3, 2015 1:09 PM

Feb 2013
IntroverTurtle said:
romagia said:
It's the test version of MAL IIRC that they use to try new features on before pushing it to the main site to prevent bugs etc. And that's what happens when you use a number that's not a multiple of 20 in the url.

http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1350513&show=15
xbobx said:
romagia said:

Haha, MAL.origin is -putting in simple terms- a ghost archive for the forums. I'm not sure if it's still functional for the recent stuff, but used to work back in the day. It's the one I have bookmarked (this one won't get erased with forum cleans).
Whenever we had our lists and/or profiles raided on SJJMaster and kind you simply open the ghost and fix it yourself.
Actually I think I'm not supposed to say this here ...but moderation has been MIA for the past week so whatever.
i see o>o'
thanks

xbobx said:
tsudecimo said:
Badly written [u]is still subjective[/u] no matter the criteria or standard, [u]it's just not personal[/u] like like and dislike.

You are not making sense.
Regardless, no.
You can still "objectively" judge a character as badly-written based on the criteria I exemplified on this thread couple of posts ago:
You must fit a lot of basic requirements while writing a storyline, and creating solid characters is part of it.
Background story, situational depth, characteristics and personality, development, placement... all the writing 101.
If it's badly-written it is because they fail at something.

Sure there will be bias, but you will have proof.
Let me try to tackle some ambiguities in these criteria...
Background Story - Many characters don't have much of a background story, especially side characters; Does that mean they are badly written?
Situational Depth - What does it mean exactly? Characters' reaction to a situation?
Characteristics and Personality - This one sounds pretty subjective; when is it badly written characteristics/personality, and when is it i don't like these characteristics/personality?
Development - Short anime, episodic series, and side characters don't get to have much character development; does that mean they are badly written?
Placement - I just don't get what you mean by this.

Jul 2014
Feaor said:
RedRoseFring said:
I don't get this attitude at all, some characters aren't meant to be likable and I don't think that makes them a bad character.

yeah i agree. i also dont get it when people call 'boring' characters badly written myself.

Feb 2013
RedRoseFring said:
On it's own, yes, it means about as much as pretty much every other catch-all phrases used in place of criticism like "pretentious"

Jan 2014
Feaor said:
RedRoseFring said:

That's life. People just use "badly written" to make it sound like they have some deep logical or objective reasoning for disliking a character, when all it is is that they hate the character.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Feb 3, 2015 1:11 PM

Jul 2014
Well, the definition of a badly written character is self explanatory.

Examples -
Natsu Dragneel - gets random asspulls and friendship power ups in every fight.
Kirito - gary stu who is op as fuck.
Kohta - stupid as fuck, bland mc that doesn't have any common sense whatsoever.
Feb 3, 2015 1:11 PM

Jul 2014
RedRoseFring said:
Feaor said:

That's life. People just use "badly written" to make it sound like they have some deep logical or objective reasoning for disliking a character, when all it is is that they hate the character.

i agree with that up to a certain point. and that's exactly what is bothering me about the whole 'badly-written' thing. people use it to make their opinion sound less subjective and that's really irritating. but i do think characters CAN be written badly and i personally don't mind when somebody calls a character that when it has basis.
Feb 3, 2015 1:13 PM

Oct 2012
RedRoseFring said:
Feaor said:

But on the flip side there are characters which I do not feel are well written but I have liked so for me liking or disliking a character really has nothing to do with how well I perceive they are written.
Feb 3, 2015 1:13 PM

May 2013
I would like to know how the general populace defines "badly written" also, as it appears to me that yall mofos just label characters you do not like as such.
Feb 3, 2015 1:17 PM

Jul 2014
Dark_Chaos said:
I would like to know how the general populace defines "badly written" also, as it appears to me that yall mofos just label characters you do not like as such.

this. T_T
Feb 3, 2015 1:19 PM

Jul 2014
I think it all comes down to if characters are one dimensional or not. Many characters in anime aren't really explored into great detail, this includes not being given a backstory, or not changing throughout the series. If this happens then they sometimes will have similar or the same facial expressions and "personality" throughout the entire series
JoelSpookyacre15Feb 3, 2015 1:37 PM
Feb 3, 2015 1:24 PM

Dec 2012
Shadow-Senpai said:
I think it all comes down to characters being one dimensional. Many characters in anime aren't really explored into great detail, this includes not being given a backstory, or not changing throughout the series. If this happens then perhaps they will have similar or the same facial expressions and "personality" throughout the entire series

That's just generalization.
Feb 3, 2015 1:25 PM

Jul 2014
My definition of a badly written character is one where the writer(s) don't manage to keep a character's personality and thought process consistent within a moral code throughout a show.

Or, a character that the show in question blows up in proportion in terms of talking up their skill or intelligence but they can't back it up with an action or situation that shows that skill or intelligence being used to great effect. An example of this is the loli from Kamisama no Memochou/ Heaven's Memo Pad, whom the writers tried to make the viewer think was a super special and intelligent genius, but it never came to light in anything other than allusions and other characters talking her up, and tacking onto her personality a self-important, sarcastic, egocentric and snide attitude as if that was somehow enough to become a genius. The writers displayed how far they are from understanding how a genius' thought process works, and failed to put her in a spot to prove it.

The most lazy types of stereotypes, like the man piñata/ doormat nerd Japan loves to throw around so much, and the vile bitches that surround them.

There are many more examples of poorly written characters, but those are pet peeves of mine.
Feb 3, 2015 1:35 PM
Oct 2014
Any character from Green Green

Feb 3, 2015 2:03 PM

Jun 2010
romagia said:
xbobx said:

You are not making sense.
Regardless, no.
You can still "objectively" judge a character as badly-written based on the criteria I exemplified on this thread couple of posts ago:

Sure there will be bias, but you will have proof.
Let me try to tackle some ambiguities in these criteria...
Background Story - Many characters don't have much of a background story, especially side characters; Does that mean they are badly written?
Situational Depth - What does it mean exactly? Characters' reaction to a situation?
Characteristics and Personality - This one sounds pretty subjective; when is it badly written characteristics/personality, and when is it i don't like these characteristics/personality?
Development - Short anime, episodic series, and side characters don't get to have much character development; does that mean they are badly written?
Placement - I just don't get what you mean by this.

'tis a very delicate subject, as seen by the totally out-of-place comments of our resident naruto lover.
If you may, take a look at the original pasta, 'cause I'll use some of the same terms Orsonius used on her post. I'll also make use of examples in order to make things clearer.

Wall of text ahead.
xbobxFeb 3, 2015 2:11 PM
Feb 3, 2015 2:09 PM

Aug 2010
chuuzenjis said:
who cares about anime kaneki when manga kaneki exists though

Unfortunately a lot more people know the anime than the manga.
Feb 3, 2015 2:14 PM

May 2012
xbobx said:
chuuzenjis said:

Being "badly-written" truly isn't subjective.
You must fit a lot of basic requirements while writing a storyline, and creating solid characters is part of it.
Background story, situational depth, characteristics and personality, development, placement... all the writing 101.
If it's badly-written it is because they fail at something.

You can think of the examples yourself.

This man knows his shit.
Feb 3, 2015 2:16 PM

Dec 2013
Ragna92 said:
chuuzenjis said:
who cares about anime kaneki when manga kaneki exists though

That truly is a damn shame.
Feb 3, 2015 2:17 PM

Aug 2013
I never thought that Kaneki was a pussy...That's just me.
PoeticJustice said:
nigga i am black, do you think my ass would fit in? "Oh look it is negro kun." Hell no.
Feb 3, 2015 2:20 PM

May 2014
waterfallsxo said:
I never thought that Kaneki was a pussy...That's just me.

apparently if a male lead isn't JoJo he is by default a pussy :")
when i see people with such opinions i honestly stop trying ...
Feb 3, 2015 3:25 PM

Jul 2014
Zer01 said:
Ragna92 said:

i'm sad because there are a lot of people i've encountered who even get mad at you for not really liking the anime. but the manga is just.. one of the best ones i have ever read and the anime isn't bad at all... it's just.. if you know the manga the anime has little to no impact on you anymore
Feb 3, 2015 5:49 PM
Dec 2013
badwolf45f said:
chuuzenjis said:

YES THANK YOU BLESS YOU.
sakura haruno is my most disliked character of all time. and i agree with everything you'Ve said about her. she's so inconsistent.
that's what i personally call badly-written.

I used to like her in shippuden, I liked the development she was having but at the end it was for nothing so xD
Rip NaruSaku ;_;
Feb 4, 2015 1:28 AM

Sep 2014
badwolf45f said:
chuuzenjis said:

YES THANK YOU BLESS YOU.
sakura haruno is my most disliked character of all time. and i agree with everything you'Ve said about her. she's so inconsistent.
that's what i personally call badly-written.

I used to like her in shippuden, I liked the development she was having but at the end it was for nothing so xD

Honeslty, I still like Sakura (when she doesn't think about Sasuke), but I'm agree I was damn upset in the ending when all of her development was thrown in the garbage for "F*** off! Make a shipping Fanservice ending and go f*** yourself!"

But honestly, I freaking hate Hinata! She had a potential to be an interesting character but I think she get as bad treatment as Sakura. Because all of her potential and her personnality were too thrown away for "shipping fanservice" crap and that's made her as obnoxius as Sakura with "Neji die? I don't care! Just Naruto is important!! Ho! His hand is so big! I'm comiiiiing!"
Feb 4, 2015 1:41 AM

Nov 2014
o123o said:
For me, a badly written character is an over the top psychotic villain with the evil laugh and the evil glare

That's an archetype, not a badly-written character.

Feb 4, 2015 1:45 AM

Apr 2013
Example: Nunnally from Code Geass
Was portrayed as a kind girl who loves her brother above everything.
Badly-written because that made no sense at all.
Feb 4, 2015 1:47 AM

Aug 2013
badwolf45f said:
When a character starts doing the opposite of what the story has told me, like "this character is very sweet because blah blah and also blah blah" and then they act very diferently because yes.

Example Sakura Haruno

There was a reason, she was craving Uchiha D badly.
Feb 4, 2015 2:44 AM

Apr 2014
DrGeroCreation said:
badwolf45f said:
When a character starts doing the opposite of what the story has told me, like "this character is very sweet because blah blah and also blah blah" and then they act very diferently because yes.

Example Sakura Haruno

She stood dry for to long...
Feb 4, 2015 2:55 AM

May 2014
Milk_is_Special said:
DrGeroCreation said:
She stood dry for to long...

well she needs to gets some like every F***ING MALE DOES!!
JUST BECAUSE SHE'S A WOMAN DOESN'T MEAN SHE'S NOT ALLOWED TO BE HORNY !!!
Feb 4, 2015 9:10 AM

Dec 2012
Gator said:
Example: Nunnally from Code Geass
Was portrayed as a kind girl who loves her brother above everything.
Badly-written because that made no sense at all.

Not really. She was manipulated into doing that by her other siblings.
Feb 4, 2015 10:11 AM

Feb 2013
Scazoff said:
badwolf45f said:

Rip NaruSaku ;_;

I know, damn kishi :(

Feb 4, 2015 10:26 AM

Jun 2014
wait, i thought characters were drawn, help?!
:3
Feb 4, 2015 10:32 AM

Feb 2013
Balong said:

Honeslty, I still like Sakura (when she doesn't think about Sasuke), but I'm agree I was damn upset in the ending when all of her development was thrown in the garbage for "F*** off! Make a shipping Fanservice ending and go f*** yourself!"

If I forget the ending yeah, I still like Sakura but it doesn't helps that much, what is done is done.

Balong said:

But honestly, I freaking hate Hinata! She had a potential to be an interesting character but I think she get as bad treatment as Sakura. Because all of her potential and her personnality were too thrown away for "shipping fanservice" crap and that's made her as obnoxius as Sakura with "Neji die? I don't care! Just Naruto is important!! Ho! His hand is so big! I'm comiiiiing!"

I lol

Feb 4, 2015 11:22 AM

Jul 2012
haruhi suzumiya
Feb 4, 2015 11:23 AM

Jan 2014
mayukachan said:
haruhi suzumiya

+1
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Feb 4, 2015 11:44 AM

Feb 2014
chuuzenjis said:
Zer01 said:

i'm sad because there are a lot of people i've encountered who even get mad at you for not really liking the anime. but the manga is just.. one of the best ones i have ever read and the anime isn't bad at all... it's just.. if you know the manga the anime has little to no impact on you anymore
Well, the anime made me interested on the manga so i was a bit thankful for that. I read the manga when it was only 3 episode aired because someone said the anime rushed like hell so that's why probably i didn't really pissed of the anime one.
Feb 6, 2015 9:26 PM
Feb 2015
1.Sasuke Uchiha - [Sasugay]
First off his whole motive is artificial. He wants to punish a whole village and kill innocents because of a decision made by 3 people and a decision supported by his brother? This is no real motive for wanting to destroy a village and it just seems forced to make sasuke seem more evil. There is no logic in him wanting revenge on the whole village and he would be destroying what his brother died for. It would have been better if kishi killed him off.

2.Obito Uchiha
Obito seems like a super emo character who wants to end the entire world just because his childhood crush died. Why didn't he tell kabuto to use the edo tensei on rin? That way he can talk to rin and let her decide if his path is the correct one... Also can give powers to kakashi while he is dead, he jumps to spirit to the ninja world LOL.

3.Sakura Haruno
She whines, cries, is weak willed and she seems to do nothing for any of her friends except pine over sasuke and bitch slap naruto. Useless character who always needs to be saved.

4.Nami (One piece)
She is so full of herself considering she is the weakest link (in battle) in the whole straw hat crew. she is a big burden. the crew always has to save her. This girl is selfish and has attitude problems.

5.Team rocket(Jessie James meow)
Repetitive... Trying to steal pokemon, get machine, get blasted away in the sky.

6.Itsuka Shidou
Useless male who need female to battle for this sissy. Like seriously? Why can't more anime/manga be both genders with powers/battle?
Feb 7, 2015 1:18 AM

Apr 2013
chuuzenjis said:
I feel like a lot of people call a character 'badly-written' when they simply do not like them.

Also please do give examples of such characters and why that particular character is 'badly written'.

Several points of attention :
1) The character behave illogically at times considering his personality or his past, and it is never explained.
2) the different components of the character (his past, personality, and so on) don't go together at all and seems to be just a listing of things without any try to connect them; Worse, in some case, some parts can even contradicts others parts. Example would be the main girl in Kyoukai no Kanata. She's unable to hide her feelings during the whole show, being quickly disturbed by anything going out of what she expected, quickly flustered and unable to make the easiest lie due to this, yet she's supposed to have lied to everyone all the time successfully.
3) the character is just a walking cliché without any depth, completely one dimensional. They're everywhere. one dimensional tsundere, one dimensional badass, and so on.
4) Some things about the characters cannot be "forgiven" with a suspension of disbelief. Like, a girl completely falling in love with a boy in about 5 minute time, now trying to get into his bed actively, when she was looking down on him before, and the like. Perfect example of this would be that english character in Infinite Stratos.

Something like this, for example.
ZefyrisFeb 7, 2015 1:23 AM
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» That moment when you realize...

Dominusew - 6 hours ago

9 by tchitchouan »»
1 minute ago

Poll: » What's with all the hate from the MAL community towards Anitubers?

Alpha_1_Zero - 1 hour ago

20 by tchitchouan »»
4 minutes ago

» How is anime doing in the UK these days?

VeryRedBags - 4 hours ago

7 by tchitchouan »»
7 minutes ago

» Is it weird to be attracted to anime characters under the age of 18?

bluefin2004 - 3 hours ago

17 by tchitchouan »»
9 minutes ago

» Early-mid 2000s anime – what are your thoughts?

Haneken2086 - Apr 23

36 by funtime43_tr »»
13 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.