Forum Settings
Forums

Who deserves to be called the "mascot of anime"

New
Feb 1, 2015 2:11 PM

Aug 2014
The best way to phrase this question is like this. If anime characters were Disney characters, who would be Micky Mouse?

Mickey Mouse symbolizes Disney. He's the mascot, the most popular and recognizable character, He's happy, upbeat, he cares for others, and he's just overall a jolly character. He represents everything Disney is...
Actually, Mickey represents everything Disney WAS

If you were to take a character from anime, and put them up on the same pedastool that Mickey Mouse has in relation to Disney, who would it be?

Personally... it has to be Haruhi... Haruhi Suzumiya, in my opinion, is the perfect anime character. She's the best executed character in being silly, upbeat and childish... and there's so many characters like that in anime, but she's the best example of one. She's obsessed with shit like Aliens, time travel, espers, the concept of "moe"... She drools over Mikuru because she's what Haruhi considers "moe".... Haruhi is basically the personification of all hyperactive, otakus with poor socal skills. I like her more than her actual show. Melancholy was great, but it had problems (although that movie was amazing)... and the best thing about her Melancholy of Haruhi suzumiya... is haruhi suzumiya.. hell the cameo she made in Lucky Star was better than the show itsef.
but what really stands out is her individuality. Can you name another character equal to her? I mean, there's plenty of characters with some of her same traits, but she's made in such a way to where her personality is irreplaceable. Yet even though nobody is quite like her, she's still relatable. She wants to escape a boring reality, by indulging in fantasies (which she doesn't know are actually real)
Isn't that why we watch anime? To do exactly what Haruhi is doing when she founded the SOS? To escape reality? She even gives us yuri fanservice... that means the creators truly understood what anime is all about.

Now, I'm not saying this just because she's my favorite character, but because she's who I feel "embodies anime".... She represents what anime means to me.

Of course that's just me, and anime means different things to everyone. Who embodies the "true meaning of anime" in your eyes
Pages (7) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Feb 1, 2015 2:13 PM

Jul 2014
Makoto from School Days. he's a great mascot to show how real anime can be.
Feb 1, 2015 2:14 PM

Jul 2011
Yamcha
Feb 1, 2015 2:14 PM

Aug 2014
Okashi_sama said:
Makoto from School Days. he's a great mascot to show how real anime can be.

I guess I can't argue with you there.... in terms of shitty harem male protagonists... he's pretty much the king
Feb 1, 2015 2:15 PM

Jan 2015
I'd honestly say, eyes.It probably isn't the kind of answer you're looking for but it is something that all anime's heavily influence and is a recurring theme in many.

May 2014
Goku hands down

Hes the best known anime character, hes probably the strongest well known one and Dragonball Z has such a huge following as well as footprint in Western and Eastern pop culture.
I've been here way too long...

May 2014
of course someone from the big 3 .... preferably naruto or luffy .... (their not my fav. though , but they do fit the part )
yes also goku .... goku is perfect for the role

Feb 2013
Doraemon. He's hardly seen in the west, but super popular pretty much everywhere else.
Feb 1, 2015 2:16 PM

May 2013
Before I even got into anime, Naruto was what came to mind when it was mentioned back in the day, and I'm pretty sure I wasn't the only one who thought that. That may or may not be true now, but I'd still say Naruto. He used to be the face of Anime to me, so he'll probably always be that face.
Feb 1, 2015 2:16 PM

Aug 2014
torchyboi said:
I'd honestly say, eyes.It probably isn't the kind of answer you're looking for but it is something that all anime's heavily influence and is a recurring theme in many.

eyes?

TheConquerer said:
Goku hands down

Hes the best known anime character, hes probably the strongest well known one and Dragonball Z has such a huge following as well as footprint in Western and Eastern pop culture.

I got to agree with you there... before I got into anime, the image of goku is the first thing that popped in my head when someone says "anime"
Feb 1, 2015 2:17 PM
Oct 2014
I'm going old school and saying Astro Boy, he deserves it after that cg movie.

Dec 2012
Man, fuck Haruhi. She is one of my most three hated characters in anime, along with Suzaku and Hitmoi from NHK or Sanji from One Piece.

I just want to punch her in the face..

She represents the worst things about anime.

Jul 2014
it's naruto. even if you dislike him. it's still naruto cuz he's literally the first character that comes into a loooot of people's minds when they think about anime. even people who've never watched anime. doesn't everybody know naruto?
Feb 1, 2015 2:18 PM

Nov 2014
Probably Naruto or Goku
Feb 1, 2015 2:19 PM

Jun 2014
Captain Harlock would be a good choice.

Feb 1, 2015 2:21 PM

Aug 2008
Haruhi isn't what I would consider an established character, definitely not so much as characters such as Lum and Doraemon.

In my experience, more people would recognize Pikachu over Goku in the US. Not sure where I'm going with that, but there it is.
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur.
Feb 1, 2015 2:21 PM

Aug 2014
There isn't one because unlike western animation, anime has a huge amount of variation.

Anime is good, fucking deal with it.
Feb 1, 2015 2:22 PM

Aug 2014
Actually haruhi.

Anime is good, fucking deal with it.
Feb 1, 2015 2:22 PM

May 2010
Kyuubey or Pikachu.
Feb 1, 2015 2:24 PM

Nov 2014
Goku, naruto or pikachu

Aug 2014
tsudecimo said:
Man, fuck Haruhi. She is one of my most three hated characters in anime, along with Suzaku and Hitmoi from NHK or Sanji from One Piece.

I just want to punch her in the face..

She represents the worst things about anime.

she represents energetic anime girls who act half their age... the best anime girls
She represents pointless yuri fanservice.. the best fanservice

Mar 2014
Pico
tsudecimo said:
Man, fuck Naruto. He is one of my most three hated characters in anime, along with Goku from Dragon Ball and Ken Kaneki from Tokyo Ghoul.

I just want to punch him in the face..

He represents the worst things about anime.
Ffty
Comic_SansFeb 1, 2015 2:28 PM
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Feb 1, 2015 2:25 PM

Aug 2008
Working_Designs said:
Captain Harlock looks like anime. I can agree with that.
black1blade said:
There isn't one because unlike western animation, anime has a huge amount of variation.
This is probably the best answer. Anime is a medium, and while Steamboat Willy might represent animation in general for historical reasons, he's an anomaly as you don't see this kind of typification with other mediums. Even film doesn't really have a defining character or trademarked symbol. (Much less literature, or plays.)
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur.

Oct 2010
In Japan, Doraemon, in the Western countries I guess:
omeg4 said:
Goku, naruto or pikachu

Aug 2014
Comic_Sans said:
Pico

Pico...chew... right? You mean picochew... the little yellow rat thingy... I'm sure there's no other pico that you have meant that may or may nor be very disturbing.
Feb 1, 2015 2:27 PM

Mar 2014
chuuzenjis said:
it's naruto. even if you dislike him. it's still naruto cuz he's literally the first character that comes into a loooot of people's minds when they think about anime. even people who've never watched anime. doesn't everybody know naruto?
No. But everyone knows Goku and DB was far more popular in Japan and in the West than Naruto was at the height of its popularity.
Feb 1, 2015 2:28 PM

Feb 2013
Doraemon

Feb 1, 2015 2:29 PM

Dec 2012
Waifusexual said:
chuuzenjis said:
No. But everyone knows Goku and DB was far more popular in Japan and in the West than Naruto was at the height of its popularity.

They only have 25 millions difference in worldwide sales.
Feb 1, 2015 2:31 PM

Aug 2013
INUYASHAAAAAAAAAA omga for the win

Feb 1, 2015 2:31 PM

Jul 2014
Waifusexual said:
chuuzenjis said:

you think so? because not as many people here talk about dragonball. at all. it's basically all naruto/one piece for the noobs that have no idea about anime. they still always know naruto(and one piece)
Feb 1, 2015 2:32 PM
Mar 2014
I'd say Pikachu fits the role very well, Pokémon is known and loved by people all around the world.
Feb 1, 2015 2:33 PM

Mar 2014
omeg4 said:
Goku

KawaiiWeeabz said:
Probably Goku

WAD1992 said:
yes also goku .... goku is perfect for the role

TheConquerer said:
Goku hands down

This is OP's best thread, less bullshit than usual.
Feb 1, 2015 2:33 PM

Aug 2014
I'd say Yui Hirasawa embodies anime girls pretty well... When I think of silly, upbeat, curious and childlike teenage girsl... I think Yui.
Feb 1, 2015 2:34 PM

Jan 2013
Shinji Ikari
Please learn about cel animation and its technical process.
Learn how special effects and backlighting were done without computers.

Feb 1, 2015 2:34 PM

Jul 2014
silversongwriter said:
I'd say Yui Hirasawa embodies anime girls pretty well... When I think of silly, upbeat, curious and childlike teenage girsl... I think Yui.
But aren't you talking about anime in general, why are you limiting it to anime girls?
Feb 1, 2015 2:36 PM

Aug 2013
everybody like puppy ears and demons and big swords and weird school life IN U YA SHA I'm telling you it's a thing totally

Feb 1, 2015 2:37 PM

Mar 2014
tsudecimo said:
Waifusexual said:

They only have 25 millions difference in worldwide sales.
With DB having 30 less volumes.

chuuzenjis said:

you think so? because not as many people here talk about dragonball. at all. it's basically all naruto/one piece for the noobs that have no idea about anime. they still always know naruto(and one piece)
This site isn't as popular as you think it is. Not even 1/5 of the people who watched DBZ even know that site exists. And it's not strange at all that more people are talking about two currently airing anime more than one that ended almost two decades ago.
Feb 1, 2015 2:38 PM

Aug 2014
Okashi_sama said:
silversongwriter said:
But aren't you talking about anime in general, why are you limiting it to anime girls?

that's just one example... Haruhi is who I feel symbolizes anime in general. If I had to say who perfectly symobolizes anime guys... I'd say Spike from Cowboy bebop.

I think he's the ideal male protagonists

Feb 2013
black1blade said:
mickey is just the mascot for disney
the mascot for western animation might as well be tom&jerry, bugs bunny, fred flintstone, homer simpsons, superman, or any other comic superhero who could rival goku in popularity

Nov 2014
Cabron said:
Shinji Ikari

That would be nice but unfortunately there's too much Naruto/One Piece fanboyz around =(
Feb 1, 2015 2:40 PM

Aug 2013
[quote=Waifusexual][quote=tsudecimo]
Waifusexual said:
chuuzenjis said:

fuck ninjas!

Feb 1, 2015 2:40 PM
Sep 2014
This:
Cabron said:
Shinji Ikari

Or:
Working_Designs said:
Feb 1, 2015 2:41 PM

Jul 2014
I don't think having a mentally disturbed teen as mascot is a good idea.
Feb 1, 2015 2:41 PM

Mar 2014
Cabron said:
Shinji Ikari

Then people would think anime has a lot of whiny protagonists
Feb 1, 2015 2:42 PM

Aug 2013
When i think of anime i think of inuyasha, because i had a sick childhood obsession with that show, i watched that show 7 fucking times InuYasha is the anime mascot for me

Feb 1, 2015 2:42 PM

Aug 2014
Keep in mind, I'm not asking who the face of anime is right now... you could find that out based on manga, anime, and merchandise sales, as well as polls... then you could find the most popular character based on objective statistical data.

What I was asking is who do you feel deserves to be the face of anime, not who is.
Feb 1, 2015 2:43 PM

Jul 2014
Waifusexual said:

chuuzenjis said:

This site isn't as popular as you think it is. Not even 1/5 of the people who watched DBZ even know that site exists. And it's not strange at all that more people are talking about two currently airing anime more than one that ended almost two decades ago.

nah sorry i didn't explain myself properly. i wasn't talking about mal but about germany. i'm just saying that i've been perceiving it like that all my life? i mean over here basically nobody was into anime and manga back when dragonball first started airing cuz it was so hard to even get your hands on. and anime/manga still isn't that big of a thing over here and more for a niche audience. but people do know about naruto more than about dragonball. at least from what i've seen and heard.
Feb 1, 2015 2:43 PM

Aug 2014
KawaiiWeeabz said:
Cabron said:
Shinji Ikari

That would be nice but unfortunately there's too much Naruto/One Piece fanboyz around =(

I think I'd take Naruto or that pirate kid over shinji any day.
Feb 1, 2015 2:44 PM

Feb 2013
silversongwriter said:
Keep in mind, I'm not asking who the face of anime is right now... you could find that out based on manga, anime, and merchandise sales, as well as polls... then you could find the most popular character based on objective statistical data.

What I was asking is who do you feel deserves to be the face of anime, not who is.

this character deserves to be the face of anime
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/--R1L8WJ9fmw/VM5Le3Q5dTI/AAAAAAAAD1I/QaML8y-FVi4/w720-h404-no/Trunk-girl.jpg
Feb 1, 2015 2:44 PM

Nov 2014
silversongwriter said:
KawaiiWeeabz said:

I think I'd take Naruto or that pirate kid over shinji any day.

He isn't really mascotty that's true
Pages (7) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hentai is the worst anime genre ever created. ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

74 by Otakupervert890 »»
13 seconds ago

Poll: » Does your first ever favourite anime(s) still holds a place in your favs?

NubFix - 30 minutes ago

3 by Toooooooooohru »»
21 seconds ago

Poll: » Best Russian in anime

Catalano - 10 hours ago

22 by TsutanaiFuun »»
1 minute ago

» Anime that low-testosterone males can't comprehend ( 1 2 )

Ejrodiew - Apr 14

64 by Blueberry173 »»
1 minute ago

» How you feel about non-Japanese entertainment/media using Anime art style?

Dragevard - 2 hours ago

7 by FanofAction »»
6 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.