Forum Settings
Forums

Japanese Media Practices Self-Restraint Amid Hostage Crisis

New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Feb 1, 2015 4:26 PM

Jul 2014
Feb 1, 2015 4:43 PM
Jan 2013
that damm isis mess up my plan of watching anime on the weekend
Feb 1, 2015 5:31 PM

Dec 2014
Man, that sucks. Is that really necessary to apply the censoring after that one kind of event?
BTW, will any others programs would be concerned or just anime?
Feb 1, 2015 5:52 PM

Jan 2013
Except the subject matter in the anime has nothing to do with ISIS at all so censoring it is quaint. And the memes are disrespectful as shit, I don't comprehend how they're an attempt at "fighting back"
Feb 1, 2015 7:05 PM

Jul 2012
Damn, I hope they solve the problem.
Feb 1, 2015 9:00 PM

Oct 2011
OMG
Feb 1, 2015 9:28 PM

Oct 2011
ISIS can go and Fuck themselves

Feb 1, 2015 10:39 PM

May 2012
Dont you dare collect all the 7 dragon balls or Shenron will wake up..

Feb 1, 2015 11:36 PM

Sep 2012
If this were the USA instead of Japan, would they "make jokes about that on TV"? Well, we just need to look back to post 9/11 America and we'll notice how Cartoon Network didn't take a similar situation too lightly itself.

When they aired Cowboy Bebop, after 9/11, they didn't show "Cowboy Funk" (I think they also didn't show "Waltz for Venus", as well), due to some imagery and content, e.g. buildings being targeted and aircraft being hijacked. Even when it came to issues that did not deal with some level of political violence, Cartoon Network showed similar restraint: they didn't air "Wild Horses" after the Columbia shuttle explosion, which was featured prominently in that episode.

These are pretty much network decisions, where they make a judgment call on when to self-censor their programming. However, we need to be clear here on that term "censoring", which often invites hasty responses directed at governmental controls. The kind of censorship here is less official government censoring and more broadcasting standards type censoring. You'll even see this kind of stuff in news agencies where they have self-imposed codes of conduct to work with in addition to their editorial decision-making on what to release and what to hold back. (In the US, there's the code of ethics crafted by the Society of Professional Journalists, while in Canada you have the Canadian Broadcast Standards Council with their own code of ethics.) Hence, you won't find un-cut beheadings on any major North American news agency. Their codes of conduct or editorial judgments rule those out.

Basically, it isn't ISIS forcing the decisions or even a government, but the networks and individuals themselves. They're not merely making their decisions based entirely on sensitivity, but also in regard to their own ethical codes. And it seems that their own intuitive judgments say broadcasting or publishing something in that immediate context isn't the right thing to do in their society. In sum, it's self-censoring being informed by an ethical code (official or personal).
Feb 1, 2015 11:44 PM

Oct 2014
This is way too sad... it's a rotten world we live in...

Rest in Peace Kenji.
Feb 2, 2015 2:53 AM

Sep 2007
PleiadesRising said:
If this were the USA instead of Japan, would they "make jokes about that on TV"? Well, we just need to look back to post 9/11 America and we'll notice how Cartoon Network didn't take a similar situation too lightly itself.

When they aired Cowboy Bebop, after 9/11, they didn't show "Cowboy Funk" (I think they also didn't show "Waltz for Venus", as well), due to some imagery and content, e.g. buildings being targeted and aircraft being hijacked. Even when it came to issues that did not deal with some level of political violence, Cartoon Network showed similar restraint: they didn't air "Wild Horses" after the Columbia shuttle explosion, which was featured prominently in that episode.

These are pretty much network decisions, where they make a judgment call on when to self-censor their programming. However, we need to be clear here on that term "censoring", which often invites hasty responses directed at governmental controls. The kind of censorship here is less official government censoring and more broadcasting standards type censoring. You'll even see this kind of stuff in news agencies where they have self-imposed codes of conduct to work with in addition to their editorial decision-making on what to release and what to hold back. (In the US, there's the code of ethics crafted by the Society of Professional Journalists, while in Canada you have the Canadian Broadcast Standards Council with their own code of ethics.) Hence, you won't find un-cut beheadings on any major North American news agency. Their codes of conduct or editorial judgments rule those out.

Basically, it isn't ISIS forcing the decisions or even a government, but the networks and individuals themselves. They're not merely making their decisions based entirely on sensitivity, but also in regard to their own ethical codes. And it seems that their own intuitive judgments say broadcasting or publishing something in that immediate context isn't the right thing to do in their society. In sum, it's self-censoring being informed by an ethical code (official or personal).

This is a good response to sum up general media restrictions in the modern world.
Feb 2, 2015 4:15 AM

Jun 2014
PleiadesRising said:

+1
Feb 2, 2015 6:52 AM

Oct 2009
That's really unfortunate. Hopefully, the crisis will get resolved soon.
Feb 2, 2015 2:35 PM
Feb 2015
Ha ha ha
First of all sorry for my bad english

I singed in just for write some comment for this news

I live in Syria. All your country's media enterpises filtering news.Just telling lie.
In Syria ISIS a terrorism.His existence for Israel.for Isreal's safe.SO no one going to destroy or fight them.If someone wants to save us,they already did this.But no one care us.ISIS killed my 2 relative when they tried to escape to Turkey.Of course ISIS not a muslim.But they says "We are muslim" and make a huge muslim-fobi arround the world.USA,Israel and ISIS working together for eliminate Palantine.Everyday 100+ people killed there.SO NO ONE TRY STOP THIS.
Lastly i heard this 2 japan media personal died in traffic ancient in Turkey.Even i think ISIS kill them.Dont trust media enterpises,do ur search
Feb 2, 2015 2:58 PM

Jan 2012
forverersr3 said:
Ha ha ha
First of all sorry for my bad english

I singed in just for write some comment for this news

I live in Syria. All your country's media enterpises filtering news.Just telling lie.
In Syria ISIS a terrorism.His existence for Israel.for Isreal's safe.SO no one going to destroy or fight them.If someone wants to save us,they already did this.But no one care us.ISIS killed my 2 relative when they tried to escape to Turkey.Of course ISIS not a muslim.But they says "We are muslim" and make a huge muslim-fobi arround the world.USA,Israel and ISIS working together for eliminate Palantine.Everyday 100+ people killed there.SO NO ONE TRY STOP THIS.
Lastly i heard this 2 japan media personal died in traffic ancient in Turkey.Even i think ISIS kill them.Dont trust media enterpises,do ur search

What u said. remembered me of a comment i saw awhile on YouTube .

Someone living in middle East mentioned that Isis = Israeli secret intelligent service

Feb 2, 2015 3:30 PM
Feb 2015
Well Even idk how ISIS spelled :D But i have good story of myself
Believe it or not,or think about new season of monogatari :D

In 2 week ,my family will try escape to Turkey,Istanbul.My father saving money for 1 year.Also they waited to my graduate from High school.My father has good hopes.But think about my school life already over.I cant go university or collage.Also same for my little brothers.In my dreams all i see bus,mirror,darkness,mouse,dog,snake and earthquake.(in our believe they are really bad things to see and we believe them).
I wont talk about my dreams in my family,dont wanna break my father's hope.And i dont have hope fot it.Still i believe i have happy life because i think i have a part of Ottoman Empire.Probably ur teachers teach that "Ottoman is bad guy". End of monogatari .Mb i explained very tragady way :D or mb i should say sayanora! nani sore D:!
Feb 2, 2015 3:48 PM

Nov 2008
PleiadesRising said:

Only one problem though, the Japanese aren't being sensitive but critical of the executed hostages unlike 9/11, they blame them for the trouble they caused to Japan. There is very little sympathy for them from the citizens.

Feb 2, 2015 10:35 PM

Sep 2012
It may be the case that some sections of the Japanese public - i.e. the everyday citizens - are critical of the events that transpired, but that doesn't really take much away from my comments on how various institutions themselves react to some situations.

A corporation broadcasting to a public works within a different set of responsibilities than the average viewer does (but not a completely different set, though). The viewers or consuming public have more freedom (yes, I choose to not put that word in scare quotes) to express themselves critically, which is how it should be in open societies. However, when you work for a broadcaster, you can't throw a large blanket over the coverage and label it "the Japanese". There are at least two different sets of individuals involved here, one being the citizens and the other being those citizens who work within an industry following formal and informal codes. Those codes can be official broadcasting standards or they can be something less official like rules-of-thumb guiding producers and editors. Broadcasters or pretty much anyone working within some form of licensed mainstream media (e.g. news to entertainment) are in some way or another obliged to follow some code or another. With that in place, networks like the ones airing the anime in question are to some degree restrained in their official press releases, which is why you'll sometimes find someone getting fired from their job (even talent agencies) for making remarks that might reflect badly upon the network itself.

If there is little sympathy for them, then that's coming mostly from the general public, and perhaps even op-eds in various Japanese news agencies. That said, as the news item linked here shows, those networks and individuals who work within the entertainment industry are officially showing restraint, even if they perhaps have different opinions about the situation privately.
Feb 18, 2015 11:55 AM

Jun 2008
Valkee said:
Isis why are you even doing this. We can all love each other! Koi!

ISIS isn't doing this though. ISIS is just doing their horrible bullshit but how people react is up to the people and it seems in Japan they react like idiots.
Seriously. What does not showing a knife in a show or removing the words "knife" and "blood" from a song gonna help? For fuck sake stop acting like nanny state idiots Japanese and grow some balls. Just because a bunch of morons cut people heads it doesn't mean suddenly we can't use knifes. What next? Restaurants removing knifes from the table?
Fucks sakes i hate this political sentimentality bullshit.
Is nothing but hypocrisy. If you want to do something then do something that actually helps instead of this hypocritical bullshit just so you can pretend you care and you are sensitive.
MonadFeb 18, 2015 11:58 AM
Feb 18, 2015 11:56 AM

Jan 2015
LastChapter said:
And here's America, where we released The Interview because Obama said so.

And because it was hilarious.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Original Anime Movie 'A New Dawn' Announced for 2025

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

5 by dimidrum »»
6 hours ago

» 'Mahoutsukai no Yakusoku' Announces Production Staff, Cast

DatRandomDude - 12 hours ago

4 by Memore »»
8 hours ago

» 'Maougun Saikyou no Majutsushi wa Ningen datta' Announces Supporting Cast

Hyperion_PS - 10 hours ago

0 by Hyperion_PS »»
10 hours ago

» 'Suki demo Kirai na Amanojaku' Reveals Additional Cast, Trailer

Hyperion_PS - 11 hours ago

1 by RobertBobert »»
10 hours ago

» Manga 'Ninja to Koroshiya no Futarigurashi' Gets Anime

Vindstot - Yesterday

30 by RobertBobert »»
11 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.