Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (8) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 8 »
May 6, 2015 3:55 PM

Feb 2014
WeirdHeather said:
Here is a nice antidote to classical music elitism, a masterful performance of Franz Liszt's Liebestraum No. 3 by Spike Jones and his City Slickers. Anyone who thinks classical music can't be fun should listen to this. (Look a bit earlier in this thread to find my posts of music by P.D.Q. Bach if you want additional antidotes to elitism.)

Welp, its not that good but thats up to the listener to conclude that.

I don't think elitism really have anything to do with music being serious. For example theres divertimento, which was well acknowledged among composers like Mozart, Haydn and Boccherini and yet was considered "informal". Going for audio examples:

May 6, 2015 9:26 PM

Apr 2013
Zergneedsfood said:

Also, since I'm still looking around for good pieces for Debussy, I played his Reverie when I was younger and I always wanted to find someone who played a really good Reverie. Got anyone you know?

Tbh, the ones you mentioned are all great choices. Especially Gieseking. :)

Also on the topic of Barere and Horowitz, they actually shared the same teacher: Felix Blumenfield (underrated composer, he wrote some good stuff). And not only that, but apparently Blumenfield preferred ole' Simon over Horowitz.

It's funny what you said about Horowitz. Despite being a brand name and a landmark of classical piano music, his style and attitude towards music is pretty much what so many performers, teachers, and competitions frown upon. So many of us admire him, but so few us actually have the balls to treat music the way he did: with liberty. If a recording didn't have the name "Horowitz" a lot of people would respond like this: "ugh, so many liberties! theres no ritardando there...why FFFF instead of MF? :( :(??!?!?" Don't get me wrong though, I ain't shitting on the dude. I love him. What he did with music and all. I just think, well, I just think a lot of pianists are fucking hypocrites.

Horowitz was indeed the "last romantic." Bold pianists like Yuja Wang, HJ Kim, or Sokolov are a rarity.

Just look at the comments on this video. I'll be honest though, I also didn't expect Scriabin to play his prelude like that lmfao.

May 6, 2015 11:32 PM

Dec 2014
I really like this one.

This actually got banned when it first came out in France I think.
May 7, 2015 7:45 AM

Apr 2013
Yeah that's pretty much the basis of romantic-era styled piano playing. It was common to see professionals individualize works, and you can observe this tradition first-hand from the plethora of old-recordings on youtube (thank god). I think it's a really fascinating and awesome approach to music, and it's a shame that this tradition basically died off.

Interesting recordings, no?
May 7, 2015 8:07 AM

Apr 2013
Another interesting recording by Fanny...

May 7, 2015 6:52 PM
Content Admin
Overkilled Red

Aug 2013
NudeBear said:
Another interesting recording by Fanny...

That was pretty nice! I prefer Rubinstein's version a little more though.

May 7, 2015 6:57 PM

Nov 2010
I find Chopin's music boring. Anyone else?
May 7, 2015 7:07 PM

Apr 2013
Kinkara said:

Have you played him before? Chopin is so unbelievably pianistic. Disliking him is like disliking the piano itself. Sure his music is overplayed as fuck, but you can't deny the quality of his music. "Boring.."

Idk how you can play through his sonatas, or scherzos without putting a smile on your face. It's like riding a jet ski with a frown.
NudeBearMay 7, 2015 7:10 PM
May 7, 2015 7:09 PM
Content Admin
Overkilled Red

Aug 2013
Kinkara said:

I doubt you'd find many people who'd agree with you.

How can one find Chopin's music boring in the first place? He's among the most brilliant composers of all time.

May 7, 2015 7:13 PM

Apr 2013
Vindstot said:
Kinkara said:

Yup. Listening to him might be boring, but you'd have to try a composer yourself if before you make any judgments. Like I said before, disliking Chopin is like disliking piano music...

How can you find this...

and this

Boring?
NudeBearMay 7, 2015 7:27 PM
May 7, 2015 10:49 PM
Content Admin
Overkilled Red

Aug 2013
NudeBear said:
Vindstot said:

Yup. Listening to him might be boring, but you'd have to try a composer yourself if before you make any judgments. Like I said before, disliking Chopin is like disliking piano music...

How can you find this...

and this

Boring?

Listening to Chopin is simply bliss. I can't possibly see why would anyone find his music boring.

Btw, love the Mazurkas you posted. Let me share my favorite one from this series.

May 7, 2015 11:10 PM

Feb 2014
NudeBear said:
Like I said before, disliking Chopin is like disliking piano music...
Well, its not that extreme. Chopin wasn't a god or anything, but "just" another composer (I do like him, but I don't think he was THE piano composer with so many good composers out there)
May 7, 2015 11:22 PM

Dec 2014
surfboard_ said:
NudeBear said:
Well, its not that extreme. Chopin wasn't a god or anything, but "just" another composer (I do like him, but I don't think he was THE piano composer with so many good composers out there)

Nothing wrong with disliking certain composer's music. It just comes down to taste, just like all music genres. No one is denying Chopin's skill or talent.

"Be the bee!" - Fink.
May 8, 2015 7:24 AM

Apr 2013
surfboard_ said:
NudeBear said:

Oh yeah, I agree with you. It's just that there are certain composers(Scriabin, Chopin, Medtner, Liadov) whose music just flow so naturally and pianistically I find it hard to dislike them if you're a pianist.

I mean listening to them is one thing, but playing them is another story. I used to hate Bach and Medtner, until I started playing their works.
May 8, 2015 7:32 AM

Nov 2010
lol, specially the Mazurkas. I'm sorry guys, I just don't get it ;-;
May 8, 2015 8:30 AM

Apr 2013
oh well...

But you can't dislike Scriabin. Well...can ya?

May 8, 2015 1:43 PM
Jul 2018
Red_Keys said:
Do these two sound very similar, or am I off my rocker?

(pay special attention to 2:23 onward)

Also there's the Jaws theme which is similar to a bit from the New World Symphony.

Starts at 31:29

May 16, 2015 2:40 PM

Apr 2013
I really, really, really, really love Medtner's music.

An underrated, yet power concerto. Some good stuff.

NudeBearMay 16, 2015 2:47 PM
May 16, 2015 5:01 PM

May 2014
Whats the piano piece that plays during the start of The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya? I swear its overused to death
May 17, 2015 12:00 AM

Feb 2015
lolatusenpai said:
Whats the piano piece that plays during the start of The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya? I swear its overused to death

Probably Satie. I'm not really sure if they used something of his at the start, but the First (and by far the most popular) Gymnopedie was used there (near the end). The Third Gnossienne also "appears" at around the middle part of the film.
May 17, 2015 12:24 PM

Apr 2013
Yeah it's definitely Satie. Check out the soundtrack/OST for the movie and it's filled with Satie.

It's under original soundtrack 2: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Disappearance_of_Haruhi_Suzumiya

Also, some awesome Debussy for Zerg lol!

May 20, 2015 5:42 AM

Feb 2015
One of the most beautiful of the relatively few piano concerti that I know of. This is Marx's (Joseph, and not Karl) second entry in the genre - while arguably less impressive than its "predecessor" (the first being a favorite of the late pianist Jorge Bolet), it shows a greater refinement in both expression and treatment.

Also wonderfully orchestrated is this tone-poem - a personal favorite of mine.

SperareMay 20, 2015 5:52 AM
May 20, 2015 12:08 PM
May 20, 2015 12:10 PM

Apr 2013
More obscure stuff. :3

Henselt etudes! The Op. 2 set is definitely a hidden gem in the world of classical piano. I'm pretty sure if Henselt wasn't a recluse he'd be as famous as Liszt when it came to technique!

And Janis Medins, another forgotten great composer. Piano geeks should check out his concerto, and his 24 dainas. It's a shame that his music is still under copyright even though he died all the way back in 1966!!!! So you won't be able to find it on IMSLP. I'm also having trouble finding some online sources to buy from...

May 27, 2015 6:05 PM
Content Admin
Overkilled Red

Aug 2013
NudeBear said:
And Janis Medins, another forgotten great composer. Piano geeks should check out his concerto, and his 24 dainas. It's a shame that his music is still under copyright even though he died all the way back in 1966!!!! So you won't be able to find it on IMSLP. I'm also having trouble finding some online sources to buy from...

That was beautiful! Thanks for sharing. I'll try looking for more of his works.

Speaking of underrated composers, Fanny Mendelssohn comes to mind. Her brother, Felix Mendelssohn became so popular that she hardly got any recognition. Some of her works were even considered to composed by Felix. Such a major shame.

May 28, 2015 2:34 AM
Jul 2018
Lately,I have been fond of...
May 28, 2015 3:11 AM

Jul 2014
Vindstot said:

Speaking of underrated composers, Fanny Mendelssohn comes to mind. Her brother, Felix Mendelssohn became so popular that she hardly got any recognition. Some of her works were even considered to composed by Felix. Such a major shame.

Same with Clara Schumann, as she was overshadowed by his husband. Though, by comparison, Clara is still more famous. Both in the past and today.

Anyway, I really like her Piano concerto.

May 28, 2015 8:39 AM
Jul 2018
I've been listening to Clair de Lune a lot recently. I really like Ryu Umemoto's version
Jun 5, 2015 4:33 PM

Apr 2013
Jun 10, 2015 1:01 AM

Jul 2014
I'm aggregating a Spotify playlist of orchestrations of Bach's compositions.

This is one of my favorites:

(Arrangement by Ottorino Respighi)
Jun 10, 2015 2:13 AM

Apr 2013
Zergneedsfood said:
more piano concerto shit

been going through some recordings of martha argerich that I had lying around. I would post her beethoven piano concerto no 3 but there are others I like too:

prokofiev 3

You live in NY, right? Did you check out Yuja's performance of this very same concerto a few years back in Carnegie? It was a fucking phenomenal performance. I'll never forget it.
Jun 12, 2015 10:16 AM
Nov 2014
I love classical music, I've studied/taught guitar for about 15 years now and I started with classical music. It has a way to move a person without words.

Some people have already mentioned Shigatsu Wa and I've got to agree that this is one of my favourite animes. The players in this series are seriously talented can easily evoke emotion with the situations provided :')

I'm pretty new to here so sorry if this is against the rules but I wanted to share my latest arrangement :) Death Parade has some awesome classical music and I did a guitar version of Moonlit Night: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbkR5YPTzj8

Hope you enjoy it and every keep enjoying/playing the music you like ^ ^
Jun 24, 2015 9:26 AM

Apr 2013
Piano concerto to end all concertos LOL, funny stuff. You'll like this if you're a piano concerto nut.

Reizenstein contributed the Concerto Popolare ("A Piano Concerto to end all Piano Concertos") to Gerard Hoffnung's first music festival in 1956. Hoffnung's festivals were comedy events, trading on the musical knowledge of the audience. The premise of the Concerto Popolare is that the orchestra believes it is playing Tchaikovsky's First Piano Concerto, but the pianist believes he or she is playing the Grieg Piano Concerto. A pitched musical battle ensues, dragging in other themes (notably from Rhapsody in Blue, the Warsaw Concerto and the music-hall song "Roll Out the Barrel"). The soloist at the premiere was Yvonne Arnaud (otherwise a renowned actress), who had been chosen after Hoffnung's first choice, Eileen Joyce, declined.
Jun 25, 2015 5:51 PM

Mar 2013
I'm off to see Krzysztof Penderecki conduct his own music in October! I'm pissing myself with excitement. He's doing osme harp concerto, "Threnody to the Victims of Hiroshima" and something else which I forget, I can't wait. I've wanted to see him for so long, I thought he'd probably die before I got the chance.
Jun 29, 2015 3:06 PM

Jul 2014
Zergneedsfood said:
so I'm willing to compromise a bit and spend some money on a digital piano.
Does anyone have any recommendations, experiences, scare stories, etc?

hi! :)
i've been playing the piano on a Roland e-piano, for 6 years. i mean, practicing at home. but that was long time ago (2000-2006) and that's an old basic model. (within a couple of days when i'm gonna go home, then i can tell you which model it is, though. personally i don't play the piano right now but my sister practices every day and ever since, it works perfectly fine, never been broken, no problem, works like a charm etc.)
i really like digital pianos made by Roland because of their weighted keys. feels kind of natural. it was not fully like those grand pianos in the music school i attended - but still, i had the 'feel of a real keyboard'.
i strongly recommend you to sit and to try all the keyboards you find. i mean, don't order anything without seeing and trying it first. spend a few minutes by playing different pieces you already know. dealing with different dynamics!
check it out: is the digital piano velocity-sensitive enough? is the keyboard weighted well, does it have a 'soul'?

i really can't recommend any specific model - but these above, have been the most important details for me. :)
(plus the overall weight of your digi piano, together with its soft case, lol. during moving in/out somwhere - it's really a big deal! :D)
Jun 29, 2015 3:10 PM

Jul 2014
i've heard this while almost-sleeping on the train... finally found it!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQzzvxsMmiA&index=1&list=PL1JvG6_3dG8XaTEn-j1lye8eS5n7k5duw
Johann Sebastian Bach, BWV 1013

so i just drop this here and leave! :D

(i better like this alto recorder voice than a flute. that recording i heard on the radio was also performed by an alto recorder. :))
quaoar50kJun 29, 2015 3:25 PM
Jul 4, 2015 1:59 AM

Apr 2013
Rach's 3 is actually my least favorite. Too noisy, messy, ugly, and all around just too much of that loud senseless virtuoso rubbish. Now don't get me wrong, i don't hate it entirely; some parts are actually enjoyable. However I can't really enjoy the work as a whole. The other concerti are way better, especially #2, #4, and the rhapsody.
Jul 5, 2015 11:29 PM
Content Admin
Overkilled Red

Aug 2013
I thought both were great, albeit not equally. Rach 2 indeed sounds a bit better though.

Feel like posting some Pathétique Sonata. 2nd and 3rd Mvt. are my favorites. :3

Jul 6, 2015 7:01 PM

Apr 2013
If you're interested in listening to some more 'current' music, then you should check out some of Samson's own works. His concerto (the only Samson work that I'm familiar with) is quite amazing. I remember there being a recording of him playing it somewhere on Youtube.
Jul 9, 2015 1:21 PM

Apr 2013
Jul 9, 2015 3:43 PM

Apr 2013
Jul 24, 2015 2:10 PM
Jul 2018
Could you recommend me some good harpsichord pieces?
Jul 24, 2015 5:05 PM

Apr 2013
start with domenico scarlatti, he wrote over 500 sonatas for the harpschord.
Jul 24, 2015 6:26 PM

Nov 2011
Greatest Classical composer is Frank Zappa.
Jul 24, 2015 7:21 PM

Apr 2013
Anyone who talks about "the greatest" in music is probably a misinformed idiot that lacks any sort of musical integrity. Music isn't a sport, so stop treating it like it is.
Jul 24, 2015 7:42 PM

Nov 2011
NudeBear said:
Anyone who talks about "the greatest" in music is probably a misinformed idiot that lacks any sort of musical integrity. Music isn't a sport, so stop treating it like it is.

I was expecting a reaction from you but I figured you'd call Zappa a hack or say how's dare I say he's better than Bach or Beethoven.
Jul 25, 2015 4:53 AM

Feb 2015

This one remains my all time favorite.
Jul 26, 2015 6:26 AM

Feb 2014
Waifu_Strangler said:
I was expecting a reaction from you but I figured you'd call Zappa a hack or say how's dare I say he's better than Bach or Beethoven.
Frank Zappa is more like a post-modern version of Igor Stravinsky. He have a rather small catalogue but I guess you can clearly say his music on the classical side is fun.
Aug 22, 2015 9:49 AM

Apr 2013
Been enjoying some late Scriabin lately. Love this dude so much.

Aug 25, 2015 9:22 PM

Apr 2014
[center][size=90]*awkwardly tiptoes into thread*
I saw that the Pathetique Sonata was mentioned...

Yadiyadiya my classical music story that nobody cares about

Anyway, I think my favorite pieces to play/ listen to are the 1812 Overture, Beethoven's Pathetique Sonata, Liszt's Consolation [ and Liebestraum ], Auf dem Wasser zu Singen ,and Chopin's Winter Wind. I've played many, many songs, some famous and some unknown, but if I listen to a piece, I can usually recognize the tune if I've played it before ^^
[[ Ah is it just me or does it sound like the trailer for the new movie, The Anthem of the Heart, has a sung version of Pathetique's 2nd movement playing in the background? ]]

Umm *quiet voice* if anyone maybe wants to play a duet with me that would be super fun?
palladiaAug 26, 2015 1:16 PM

[ a ] [ i ] wo atsumete
たくさん の あい お あつめたら
tumblr
ことば で きみ に とどけよう
deviantart
みえない きもち お かたち に したら
last.fm
こころ の なか まで とどく から

Pages (8) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 8 »

More topics from this board

» Discuss the last movie you watched ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

GloriousHawk - Dec 29, 2012

4817 by RenaPsychoKiller »»
19 minutes ago

» Currently listening to ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsukareru - Mar 29, 2021

7576 by RenaPsychoKiller »»
2 hours ago

» Anime songs in your playlist

bevarnow - Mar 11

2 by Pengawas »»
2 hours ago

» Mal spotify collaborative playlist ( 1 2 )

tsukareru - Jan 6

60 by tsukareru »»
Yesterday, 12:17 PM

Poll: » Avatar: The Way of Water or Dune: Part Two

AcbSnakeDemon - Apr 20

6 by alex889 »»
Yesterday, 1:16 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.