Forum Settings
Forums

Why do some people enjoy reading manga more than watching anime?

New
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]
Apr 30, 2022 6:04 PM
Jul 2018
Manga is superior. Simple.
Apr 30, 2022 7:38 PM

Jan 2020
I've watched a lot more anime than I've read manga at this point, but I do like reading manga of series I'm legitimately interested in. This is mainly because most anime cut at least something or another from their content, whereas manga is the full, unabridged story. In addition, the manga tends to be less censored, and you'll see more of what was intended instead of black bars, or toned down blood, etc.

To quote the above, Manga is superior. There are even some anime that cut entire arcs of content (looking at you Berserk & Promised Neverland), so usually if I end up really liking an anime I'll go out of my way to add the manga to my list. Because I know if the anime is good the manga is probably better.
commonxreactionApr 30, 2022 7:47 PM

"...Is your mother worried? Would you like us to assign someone to worry your mother?"

May 1, 2022 4:13 AM

Aug 2020
Although it lacks animation, color, and music; the manga often covers more of the story than the anime adaptation. Furthermore, reading manga is faster than watching anime.

Most importantly, no fillers.

:)
I love bread

May 1, 2022 4:25 AM

Feb 2021
It's more efficient and expansive in terms of the scope, plus there's little to no censorship.
May 8, 2022 5:31 AM

Jan 2016
I mean everyone has their own preferences, no? I think we who preorize reading mangas over watching animes can enjoy a much wider variety of series. And we can consume different series more quickly too: For example, I prefer read through 1000 + chapters of OP or Hajime no Ippo than slog through the anime. Besides that the art material tend to be awesome.
May 8, 2022 7:35 AM

Dec 2019
I personally like anime more but I can see why ppl would like manga more

its faster to consume the story and if you dont have alot of time that helps alot

Plus sometimes the anime censors stuff and manga doesn't do that

May 8, 2022 11:57 PM

Dec 2018
I stick to whatever the source material is-- which tends to be the manga, most of the time. That way I can enjoy the media the way the author intended it to be enjoyed. Manga rarely is adapted properly, anyway.
May 9, 2022 8:12 AM

Jun 2019
Different strokes.

I don't typically choose to read manga either, unless I want to finish an anime and the ending hasn't been adapted yet. I don't mind reading the manga, but I prefer the whole animated, colored, voice acted experience.

May 10, 2022 10:10 PM

Mar 2008
I prefer being able to set my own pace when interacting with media. Long drawn out fight scenes tend to bore me when animated most of the time, whereas being able to focus on what's specifically eye-catching in a action sequence done page by page is more so to my taste. I also just find a lot of live action/animated media doesn't really fully utilize being an audio/visual medium? If I'm expected to spend x amount of time taking in a story, I kind of want that specific investment to be worth it? If the sound design is lackluster, or if there's nothing being in motion brings to a scene that's kind of a waste.

There's also more freedom of imagination when you're reading something too which has appeal for me personally.
May 11, 2022 3:11 AM
May 2020
Ehmm
1. Can read while listening music
2. More information
3. No fillers for long run series
4. Manga comes faster than anime.
5. Some great series can't be great in anime(example : Claymore and Dorohedoro)
6. Some great series i can't imagine to become anime (you know, if someone have an idea to make Vagabond anime, it will become a mess or need a very long time to make it become good)
7. If things to bad, i can judge the manga itself, without blaming studios, animator, VA.
8. I like to collect hardcopy manga and its worth it to collect. Unlike anime Blu ray dvd.
9. Some mangas cover is eye catching, some publisher give extra merchandise.
And i think that some reason, still more tbh.
May 11, 2022 8:21 AM

May 2018
why not ? xD
Idk at least manga originals or manga adaptations aren't always ruined like anime or so i think . And the manga world is bigger specially if u consider Manhuas and manhwas out there.

"π™Ήπšžπšœπš πš•πš’πš”πšŽ 𝚊 πš‹πš˜πš‘ 𝚘𝚏 π™²πš‘πš˜πšŒπš˜πš•πšŠπšπšŽπšœ"
Signature by -Tony-

May 14, 2022 4:57 PM
Jul 2018
for me, it's because i'm more invested in lesbian relationships, which are numerous in manga but relatively few in anime. i also feel like the more "serious" manga that features lesbian relationships is also either censored to the point that makes you wonder if you should've just watched some sports anime instead, really weird to where it's a little too clear this is something of a fetish project than made out of any actual love for the source material, or cut short at an inconclusive 12 episodes that cover less ground in a less comprehensive way that the manga had to begin with.

also, manga gives you the opportunity to explore stuff that's short and sweet when you're not in the mood for a three-act structured drama, whereas even shorter anime seems to always feel the need to have a lot going on (or it's excessively long for not having anything going on at all).
May 15, 2022 11:56 PM

Nov 2020
Anime is just too time consuming unlike the manga it depends on how fast you read or on how much dialogue there is.

but most of the time I don't wanna be disappointed. It might be just me but the color scheme on most anime is just bad and there are some better without color

It also provides more and better content like the promise neverland and tokyo ghoul unlike in the anime
May 16, 2022 3:18 AM

Jun 2016
I think it is a matter of pacing for me. If an anime is really slow (ex. MHA) and boring due to poor pacing, reading the manga usually fixes it as I can read as fast as I can and gloss over the painfully boring background scenes.
May 16, 2022 5:39 AM

Sep 2015
I'll probably just end up repeating previously mentioned points, but anyway:
-Takes less mental focus (no sound, no color, the images don't "move", the images are few).
-You can go at your own pace, and it's easier to pause (if you pause in the middle of an anime episode and go do something else it can get a little awkward).
-Generally has higher quality artwork than anime, since they don't have to draw everything over and over to the same extent.
-When an anime is based on a manga, the manga generally has slightly more fleshed out story since in anime adaptations some things get cut out, and it's also the 'original' so that can be considered a plus if you care about it.
can dis sig fit
May 18, 2022 1:22 AM
Aug 2020
Baileyy said:
I still haven't read a single manga. I've tried on hundreds of occasions, it just doesn't work for me.

I think anime and manga are seperate hobbies. One can enjoy one and not the other.
I used to think the same, until I got into manga I enjoyed
May 25, 2022 5:44 PM

Mar 2021
I prefer to read comics because I can read at my own pace.

I can't get used to the discrepancy between the voice of the character I imagined in the manga and the voice actor who performs in the anime

May 25, 2022 8:55 PM

Feb 2022
For me its the fact that the manga usually has more to it. I also would rather read at my own pacing than the pace of the anime.

Sometimes my ears don't like the voices either and that makes me not want to watch something that might be really good.
May 28, 2022 1:28 AM

May 2009
Because it's faster and better, and more importantly faster
IF YOU HAVEN'T WATCHED ODDTAXI OR SAIKI K I'LL BONK YOU IN THE HEAD

Dec 15, 2022 7:08 AM
Aug 2021
And that’s very cool
Dec 17, 2022 11:30 AM
Oct 2021
Monster is my favorite manga ,it has one of the greatest adaptations of anything ever and 100% the most faithful adaptation to ever exist not just in anime but in any medium ,it has a great soundtrack, great voice acting, slightly good direction, good animation for the time and good art that is just very slightly worse than the manga ,but I still think the manga is way better ,you might wonder why? There in nothing better you could ask for from an adaptation but here’s the thing

An anime episode is 20 minutes long,I’ve read the entirety of the first monster volume at that length it contained the first four episodes, basically anime has more restrictions,more censorship

With manga you could control the pacing (Monster is considered to be slow pace, I honestly didn’t see it that way as a manga reader until I actually watched the anime)
No Censorship
Faster
More detailed
Lesser restrictions also more imagination
Way more variety

This list is endless
Dec 20, 2022 11:14 PM

Apr 2020
I just like reading way more than watching stuff, also with most anime, you watch the season but if you want to know more you need to read the manga because god know when the next season will be out.
Dec 20, 2022 11:33 PM

Dec 2022
Some people dont have the time to endure an anime's pacing. We are fast readers
Its about Drive. Its about Power.
Dec 26, 2022 4:12 PM
May 2022
Artwork
No filler
No intro song
No cut content
Better pacing 
Better facial expressions and such
No annoying voices
Dec 27, 2022 7:22 AM

Apr 2021
Her are some reasons:

1. You can choose your own pace
  2. Every manga has unique art style
  3. There's no cut content 
  4. I have feeling it is more easier to find new manga than anime
  5. It is more diverse than anime
  6. No seasonal shows that everyone talks about. When you miss episode you will see spoilers everywhere, that doesn't exist in manga.
  7. It lets you imagine some parts (characters' voices)
  8. There's no cut or censured content  

RissioDec 27, 2022 7:26 AM
Dec 29, 2022 8:03 PM

May 2021
Mostly because I find it less time consuming than watching anime. I usually only read shorter manga that are around 20-50 Chapters though. If it drags on too long, I don't want to find out I have wasted my time for nothing worthwhile.
Jan 5, 2023 5:54 AM

Nov 2018
There’s 2 main reasons why I prefer manga than anime, 1. detailed info, 2. convenience. Most anime adaptations nowadays often omit arcs that are sometimes essential for the buildup of the story, I’d rather consume the whole story than watch a minced animated version that some studios do to save budget or even twist the whole damn story for whatever fucking reason. Plus, its easier to read anywhere.
˗ˏˋ κ’° β™‘ κ’± ΛŽΛŠΛ— π’»π‘œπ“‡π“Šπ“‚ π“ˆπ’Ύπ‘” π’·π“Ž 𝓂𝑒! | ━─━────༺༻────━─━ | π‘œπ“€π’Άπ’Ά-π“ˆπ’Άπ“ƒ π‘œπ“ƒπ“π’Ύπ“ƒπ‘’ wise ˗ˏˋ κ’° β™‘ κ’± ΛŽΛŠΛ—
Jan 7, 2023 2:59 AM

Dec 2008
The manga or LN usually just does series better tbh. Most anime are just advertisements for the manga and LN as well. You should try it, reading is much more fulfilling activity imo than watching.
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]

More topics from this board

» How many chapters do you read a month?

Rissio - Apr 4

17 by Oofmastre9000 »»
7 hours ago

» Do you ever skim through your Manga?

zaganGao - Jan 23

26 by Zimmu »»
10 hours ago

» Top 10 most iconic manga creators objectively ranked

AlphaMaleScotty - Apr 15

22 by Lucifrost »»
Yesterday, 8:38 AM

» Recently Bought Manga, Mahnwa, Manhua, or Light Novels. ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Maora - Oct 24, 2008

5931 by malvarez1 »»
Apr 16, 8:26 PM

» Have an amazing art in manga but not in anime

kirA_-_ - Apr 15

7 by malvarez1 »»
Apr 16, 8:24 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.