Forum Settings
Forums

Toronto ranked the best city to live in the world.

New
Jan 29, 2015 5:23 PM

Oct 2012
http://www.blogto.com/city/2015/01/toronto_ranked_the_best_city_to_live_in_the_world/

Y'all can go suck it... We Torontonians rule :D

Toronto has been ranked the best city to live in the world by the Economist. The ranking aggregates Toronto's performance across a range of indexes, which include safety, livability and cost of living. National level rankings like the Economist's Democracy and Global Food Security Index were also factored into the overall rank. So, like, we're the best. Give yourself a pat on the back.

The overall rankings come as part of a new survey from the Economist Intelligence Unit that ranks cities based on how safe they are. According to this report, Toronto is the safest city in North America and eighth-ranked city in the world, trailing Tokyo, Singapore, Osaka, Stockholm, Amsterdam, Sydney, and Zurich. The safety index is ranked according to the following criteria: digital security, health security, infrastructure and personal safety.

In the overall rankings (what the Economist calls the "index of indexes") Toronto has only one category in which it doesn't rank in the top 10 globally. Can you guess what it is? Yep, cost of living. In this category, our city comes in 70th place. That's not really surprising, and for what it's worth, most of the other cities in the top 10 of the overall rankings are deemed to be more expensive than Toronto.

I guess we should remind ourselves of how good we have it the next time we're inclined to complain about tough commutes and winter weather (yeah, right -- like we're going to stop complaining).
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Jan 29, 2015 5:24 PM

Jan 2014
Yay Toronto! Despite the snowstorm raging outside right now, we must celebrate!!!
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Jan 29, 2015 5:26 PM

Nov 2010
I'm not surprised at all. Canada is America's Switzerland.
Jan 30, 2015 6:45 AM

Jan 2015
Whoops look like they forgot about Ottawa, and also they probably didn't take into account hockey teams, because frankly, we all know the leafs would drop Toronto back down where it came from. Also, let's not even talk about Rob Ford.
Jan 30, 2015 7:03 AM

Jan 2009
I have doubts about the credibility of this raking, since Rio de Janeiro is here (not even is the best city in Brazil to live).
Jan 30, 2015 7:23 AM
Jun 2014
wow, one newspaper
'The way of the wang is long...and hard'
Jan 30, 2015 7:31 AM

Jan 2015
Chelizzle said:
Why not Pyongyang?

isn't that north korea?
Jan 30, 2015 7:59 AM

Mar 2012
That article is so confusing. It doesn't really explain if the list is just about safety, or about multiple factors. And it doesn't even post the list (here you go):

lol at Montreal being #2. Guess these people love Canada.
LoneWolf said:
@Josh makes me sad to call myself Canadian.
Jan 30, 2015 8:54 AM
Mar 2013
you mean best major city. what a stupid claim and an even stupider study.
Jan 30, 2015 9:00 AM

Jul 2014
That's a strange way of spelling Kinshasa.

Seriously if this shit ain't #1 by the morn I'm moving to Andorra.
Jan 30, 2015 9:10 AM

Jan 2009
Mizorefan said:
I have doubts about the credibility of this raking[...]

You aren't the only one. Including Cities in the Top 20 of Infrastructure Safety (Page 33) like Los Angeles or New York, which are on the Verge of Decay, is more than mocking the whole Index.

Also, where are Copenhagen, Munich and especially Vienna, which was very close to be 1st Place on the Index in August last year and had Top Positions in other Indexes as well?
http://pages.eiu.com/rs/eiu2/images/Liveability_rankings_2014.pdf
http://monocle.com/film/affairs/quality-of-life-survey-2014/
http://www.mercer.com/newsroom/2014-quality-of-living-survey.html

Toronto might be a good City to live in, but with the recent Outages I kind of doubt it that it is the best City for that Purpose, not even when you consider only the Metropolises.
NoboruJan 30, 2015 9:16 AM
Jan 30, 2015 9:19 AM

Jan 2011
Bullshit. These stats change every year and every site has their own opinion lol
- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_life_expectancy
- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_intentional_homicide_rate
- http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/04/10/worlds-highest-murder-rates_n_5125188.html

Also everyone should know that country and other small towns are the safest and healthy compared to big metropolis.
DeathNyxJan 30, 2015 9:43 AM
Jan 30, 2015 11:01 AM

Feb 2010
Noboru said:
Mizorefan said:
I have doubts about the credibility of this raking[...]

You aren't the only one. Including Cities in the Top 20 of Infrastructure Safety (Page 33) like Los Angeles or New York, which are on the Verge of Decay, is more than mocking the whole Index.

Also, where are Copenhagen, Munich and especially Vienna, which was very close to be 1st Place on the Index in August last year and had Top Positions in other Indexes as well?
http://pages.eiu.com/rs/eiu2/images/Liveability_rankings_2014.pdf
http://monocle.com/film/affairs/quality-of-life-survey-2014/
http://www.mercer.com/newsroom/2014-quality-of-living-survey.html

Toronto might be a good City to live in, but with the recent Outages I kind of doubt it that it is the best City for that Purpose, not even when you consider only the Metropolises.

Yeah I was thinking the same. I literally never saw any top 20 city rankings that didn't have Vienna in it so I'm really suspicious.
But I think the thing is that it's not actually a 'quality of living' survey but an index of indexes that takes into account stuff like business environment and democracy index and whatnot. The 'livability' rankings are actually the same from last august as far as I can tell, they're just not all of it. Only 3 of the top 10 in terms of livability even show up on this survey so that's obviously not what it's assessing.

Still, Vienna & co shouldn't be completely missing even though I wouldn't expect them to score as high as usual with these other factors considered. It's weird that they aren't even on the list (which seems very short to boot).
I probably regret this post by now.
Jan 30, 2015 11:17 AM

Apr 2013
I'd still pick Montreal over any city in Canada. Suck it.
Jan 30, 2015 11:43 AM

May 2013
Sourire said:

Too much french.
Jan 30, 2015 11:45 AM

Jul 2014
who cares about safety when you can havr nyc.
Jan 30, 2015 11:50 AM

Aug 2010
literally who
Jan 30, 2015 12:39 PM

Jan 2009
DeathNyx said:

Also everyone should know that country and other small towns are the safest and healthy compared to big metropolis.

True, but Public Transmit and Digital Infrastructures (Internet) could be much worse and if you had the chance between living in a calm Neighborhood with a lot of Shops and a good Public Transport Network or living in a remote Area, from which you had to commute 1-3h by Car to just get into a City to buy Things and/or to work, you would probably think twice.
It doesn't have to be only extreme Cases, though, as I would personally feel the best in Cities with a Population of 100,000 to 1,000,000.

Higashi_no_Kaze said:
Yeah I was thinking the same. I literally never saw any top 20 city rankings that didn't have Vienna in it so I'm really suspicious.
But I think the thing is that it's not actually a 'quality of living' survey but an index of indexes that takes into account stuff like business environment and democracy index and whatnot.

Well, maybe Vienna might be a bit more restrictive in Business Environment, but for it to be that worse in Democracy Index or other Indexes to be not included within 50 Metropolises? I highly doubt it.

Also, how can a Metropolis like New York City be ranked that high in digital and infrastructural Security, when the whole Power Grid System could be easily hacked and would put the USA back in the preindustrial Era?

http://www.cbn.com/cbnnews/us/2014/March/Power-Grid-Target-in-New-Attack-on-America/
http://www.forbes.com/sites/robertlenzner/2014/11/28/chinese-cyber-attack-could-shut-down-u-s-electric-power-grid/

The Issue is not only that they forgot to include some other important Metropolises; it's also about ranking some Cities in some Areas so high that you can only laugh about this Index.
NoboruJan 30, 2015 12:45 PM
Jan 30, 2015 1:28 PM

Sep 2014
It should have been Vienna
Why are we still here? Just to suffer? Every night, I can feel my leg... and my arm... even my fingers. The body I've lost... the comrades I've lost... won't stop hurting... It's like they're all still there. You feel it, too, don't you? I'm gonna make them give back our past."
Jan 30, 2015 1:41 PM

Aug 2014
Bullshit
Jan 30, 2015 1:45 PM

Jan 2009
@ kodei: I concur. Vienna would have beeen a better Pick than Half of the Top 25 posted in #9

@ MechaKiryu:

1) Bullshit to Toronto being the best City according to the Index
2) Bullshit to the whole Index
3) Bullshit to Vienna not being on the very Top or at least having a Top Position

which one is it?
NoboruJan 30, 2015 1:50 PM
Jan 30, 2015 1:46 PM

Mar 2013
ImmahJosh said:
That article is so confusing. It doesn't really explain if the list is just about safety, or about multiple factors. And it doesn't even post the list (here you go):

Chiraq #10
Amsterdam 3rd/4th place

lol nice
Jan 30, 2015 1:53 PM

Mar 2014
Toronto is cool but even ranked among most "best places to live in Canada list" it isn't top 5.

This ranking system is fraudulent.
Jan 30, 2015 2:10 PM

Jan 2011
kodei said:

Vienna is a cool place but it's mostly a city that a person would want to visit for its art and nothing more.
Jan 30, 2015 2:48 PM

Sep 2014
DeathNyx said:
kodei said:

Vienna is a cool place but it's mostly a city that a person would want to visit for its art and nothing more.
and Ice Tea
Why are we still here? Just to suffer? Every night, I can feel my leg... and my arm... even my fingers. The body I've lost... the comrades I've lost... won't stop hurting... It's like they're all still there. You feel it, too, don't you? I'm gonna make them give back our past."
Jan 30, 2015 2:49 PM

Aug 2014
Noboru said:

@ MechaKiryu:

1) Bullshit to Toronto being the best City according to the Index
2) Bullshit to the whole Index
3) Bullshit to Vienna not being on the very Top or at least having a Top Position

which one is it?
no.1
Jan 30, 2015 2:51 PM

Apr 2013
yay canada
an egomaniac and a fool

Jan 30, 2015 2:54 PM

Apr 2012
ImmahJosh said:

i'm surprised san francisco is # 5
Everything is super expensive here. It's an overrated tourist trap lol. There's some sketchy ass places around here too so it ain't exactly safe either. Oh right there was a dismembered body found in a suitcase in downtown , San Francisco a couple days ago :D Lovely

Jan 30, 2015 2:57 PM

Mar 2014
San Francisco and New York? Really?
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Jan 30, 2015 3:12 PM

Jan 2011
New York is #1 for Food Security?! O'rly? Lol
Jan 30, 2015 3:31 PM

Apr 2013
The slums in Singapore and Rio De Janeiro are appaling.

How are they even on the list?
Jan 31, 2015 5:08 PM

Apr 2012
Depends on which ranking you use: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World%27s_most_liveable_cities#Mercer_Quality_of_Living_Survey

My city, (Auckland), ranks 12th, 10th, and 4th.
Jan 31, 2015 5:09 PM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
Pxi2 said:
Sourire said:

Too much french.

y u so mean Pxi2 :(
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

Jan 31, 2015 5:10 PM

Apr 2014
I thought Toronto was Detroit there for a second. I was about to say . . .
Feb 1, 2015 8:33 AM

Jan 2015
Lol Toronto is pretty bad. Enjoy garbage everywhere, lots of traffic, terrible drivers, high rent, filled with rude people who are in a hurry and the arrogance they have thinking they are the center of Canada.

You know what it is like the New York City of Canada.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 2, 2015 11:46 AM

Jun 2014
London 22nd nae bad
All credit goes to Sacred.
Feb 2, 2015 11:54 AM

Nov 2014
Kinkara said:

So then the US is Germany?
Feb 2, 2015 12:45 PM

Mar 2014
Tacoo said:
Kinkara said:

Both the stereotypical American and the stereotypical German is fat, so yes, probably
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Feb 2, 2015 1:44 PM

Jan 2009
Comic_Sans said:
Tacoo said:

Both the stereotypical American and the stereotypical German is fat, so yes, probably

No, the stereotypical German isn't fat. Or at least far from what is common in Northern America (USA+Canada).

If you want to make better fitting Analogies, you have to compare the USA to the EU, Switzerland to Puerto Rico and Canada to Continental Germanic Europe (Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Denmark, Liechtenstein, Luxemburg, Netherlands, Norway, Sweden, Island).
NoboruFeb 2, 2015 1:50 PM
Feb 2, 2015 1:54 PM

Mar 2014
Noboru said:
Comic_Sans said:

No, the stereotypical German isn't fat. Or at least far from what is common in Northern America (USA+Canada).

If you want to make better fitting Analogies, you have to compare the USA to the EU, Switzerland to Puerto Rico and Canada to (Middle) Germanic Europe.
Oh? I live near the German frontier, so I've been to Germany many times and I've always had the impression that there were a lot of fat people there. I don't know how Germany is compared to the States, but I think the Germans were very highly ranked on the European ''fat toplist''
Nico- said:
Feb 2, 2015 1:59 PM

Jan 2009
And I live directly in Germany and have mostly seen normal sized People.
Of course, I'm not counting old People at Age 50+.

btw. the Original Message has been changed:
If you want to make better fitting Analogies, you have to compare the USA to the EU, Switzerland to Puerto Rico and Canada to (Middle) Germanic Europe Continental Germanic Europe (Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Denmark, Liechtenstein, Luxemburg, Netherlands, Norway, Sweden, Island).
Feb 2, 2015 2:02 PM

Mar 2014
Noboru said:
And I live directly in Germany and have mostly seen normal sized People.
Of course, I'm not counting old People at Age 50+.

btw. the Original Message has been changed:
If you want to make better fitting Analogies, you have to compare the USA to the EU, Switzerland to Puerto Rico and Canada to (Middle) Germanic Europe Continental Germanic Europe (Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Denmark, Liechtenstein, Luxemburg, Netherlands, Norway, Sweden, Island).
I guess it varies from town to town?

Ah, ok.
Nico- said:
Feb 2, 2015 2:17 PM

Jan 2009
Or from State to State? Who knows? I've only been in the South(west)ern Part, anyways.

In any Case; the Ranking is totally biased and doesn't reflect Reality. Else, we would have rather seen smaller Cities or if it's only about Metropolises: more from Continental Germanic Europe in the Top 20.

edit: and there we go:
The Economist Intelligence Unit has been criticised by the New York Times for being overly anglocentric, stating that "The Economist clearly equates livability with speaking English."

NoboruFeb 2, 2015 2:33 PM
Feb 2, 2015 8:49 PM

Dec 2013
About every time I see a horrible mugging, gang violence, torture, suicide etc coming out of Brazil it's 'Rio De Janeiro'. As per Toronto being the best city(even in Canada) pfft. Yeah if you like being in traffic for 2 hours to get downtown, smog, dirty streets and buildings, and crack head/alcoholic mayors, then I can't see why it wouldn't be! lmao
I am on the edge ! The edge of the edgiest edge ever edged by edgekind !
я умерте ужасну депрессии...

Feb 2, 2015 8:51 PM

Nov 2013
Who on earth puts Sydney on a "best cities to live in" chart ._.
[center][size=85][b]MAL Interviews[/size] | [/size][size=85][b]MAL's Chatting Corner | [size=85][color=darkviolet]If you wear Caesar's clothes, you have to behave like Caesar.[/color][/size][/b]
Feb 2, 2015 9:15 PM
Jul 2018
Toronto ftw
Feb 2, 2015 10:20 PM

Jan 2015
sure my Canadian mate :3, u can have a lil *243.33 sq miles* of GOTY - Greatest Of The Year.
But we Americans have *3,537,436 sq miles* of GOAT! - Greatest Of All Timez!
its a scientific fact, my nig :3.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The Current Events Board Will Be Closed on Friday JST ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Aug 2, 2021

272 by traed »»
Aug 5, 2021 5:56 PM

» Third shot of Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine offers big increase in antibody levels: study ( 1 2 )

Desolated - Jul 30, 2021

50 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:24 PM

» Western vaccine producers engage in shameless profiteering while poorer countries are supplied mainly by China.

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

1 by Bourmegar »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:23 PM

» NLRB officer says Amazon violated US labor law

Desolated - Aug 3, 2021

17 by kitsune0 »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:41 PM

» China Backs Cuba in Saying US Should Apply Sanctions To Itself

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

10 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.