Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jan 27, 2015 4:43 PM

Nov 2007
Hey all, I'm looking for an anime that's got a really interesting or complex plot but if you don't follow closely you can get lost. Something like ghost in the shell, it doesn't have to be perfect with zero plot holes, but it has to make you think logically. Psycho-Pass was alright, but fell flat on it's face in season two if you ask me. Ergo proxy makes you think, but it was more of a mind-scraper then a good brain teaser. I'm a little picky hence the near 50 titles I have in my plan to watch list >.> .

Movies put me off a little in this area due to the time constraints they have for plot. Some pull it off while more than half of them have left me needing to re watch hoping there's something I might have missed like Genma Taisen, prime example of not knowing what the hell is going on even as the credits roll (srsly don't bother looking for a copy you'll just have a headache later).

Edit: Partial list of what I've seen that falls in this group
Ergo Proxy
Shinsekai Yori
Higurashi no naku koro ni (and Kai)
Serial Experiments Lain
Another
Code Geass
Paranoia Agent
RahXephon

FijornJan 28, 2015 2:14 AM
Jan 27, 2015 4:50 PM

Feb 2010
Those are probably closest to what you're looking for:
Texhnolyze
Shinsekai Yori

These have intelligent and interesting dialogue that needs you to keep thinking 'with' the characters a lot of the time, and the first two are also large in scale and have that kind of complexity to them:
Legend of the Galactic Heroes
Crest/Banner of the Stars
Spice & Wolf

Those are more like puzzles that come together over the course of the series and therefore require attention and thinking in their own ways:
Serial Experiments Lain
Boogiepop Phantom
Higurashi
I probably regret this post by now.
Jan 27, 2015 4:56 PM

Nov 2007
Sweet, thanks for the suggestions!
Jan 27, 2015 4:57 PM

Jul 2014
mouryou no hako!!!!
aoi bungaku!!
Jan 27, 2015 5:01 PM
Dec 2014
1. Darker than Black.

I really have to rewatch this anime someday. I got the general idea of the plot but there are some things I didn't understand.
If you're looking for something complex, this will not disappoint you.

2. C: Money of Soul and Possibility Control

Another anime were you'll not be sure who's the villain and who's the saviour. Is there any actual villain? Or is there any actual hero?
Who was right and who was wrong?
You might not be sure not even after finishing the anime
Jan 27, 2015 5:45 PM

Feb 2010
Higashi_no_Kaze said:
Texhnolyze
Shinsekai Yori

These have intelligent and interesting dialogue that needs you to keep thinking 'with' the characters a lot of the time, and the first two are also large in scale and have that kind of complexity to them:
Spice & Wolf

Those are more like puzzles that come together over the course of the series and therefore require attention and thinking in their own ways:
Serial Experiments Lain
Boogiepop Phantom
Higurashi

Is Crest/Banner of the Stars similar to LotGH? at least half as good? recommendable?

As for the topic, I agree with Higashi no Kaze (I've seen all except Crest/Banner of the Stars), and I also like chuuzenjis's suggestion of Aoi Bungaku and Mouryou no Hako.

As the puzzle type, I'd also add Baccano!... Not sure if I consider it a complex anime, but you do need to fit all the pieces together.

Kingdom might also work, a great anime about the warring states in China where thinking takes a big role in the series (both in politics and in military)

People need societies, but they don't necessarily need nations. - Yang Wen-li
Jan 27, 2015 7:51 PM

May 2012
Mouryou no Hako should only be watched when fully awake. It has some long talky sequences that require a lot of attention.

I'll add Hyouge Mono to the list. It is a complex and quirky, though historically inaccurate, portrayal of the Sengoku period just before and after the assassination of Oda Nobunaga.

Another possibility is Oh! Edo Rocket, a zany science-fiction satire about political repression set in 1843 Edo. It's based on a stage play by Nakashima Kazuki, the screenwriter for Gurenn Lagann and Kill la Kill. Like Hyouge Mono, Rocket presents an alternative view of Japan under the Tenpou Reforms, when public entertainment and other such frivolities were banned by the Shogun.

Someday you should give Monster another try.
Jan 27, 2015 8:01 PM
Nov 2014
You should definitely finish steins;gates and +1 for spice and wolf
http://myanimelist.net/anime/2966/Ookami_to_Koushinryou
Jan 27, 2015 8:09 PM

Jul 2014
Try
Another
Hyouka

You will love these
Jan 27, 2015 8:12 PM

Sep 2014
You can try Gosick, you might like it.
Jan 27, 2015 8:47 PM

Jan 2015
Higashi_no_Kaze said:
Texhnolyze
Shinsekai Yori
Jan 27, 2015 10:59 PM

Nov 2014
Code Geass is one that a lot of people misunderstand at the end, give it a shot.
Jan 28, 2015 1:53 AM

Jan 2015
Monster, Paranoia Agent
Jan 28, 2015 2:46 AM

Feb 2014
orario said:
1. Darker than Black.

I really have to rewatch this anime someday. I got the general idea of the plot but there are some things I didn't understand.
If you're looking for something complex, this will not disappoint you.

2. C: Money of Soul and Possibility Control

Another anime were you'll not be sure who's the villain and who's the saviour. Is there any actual villain? Or is there any actual hero?
Who was right and who was wrong?
You might not be sure not even after finishing the anime

Sweet lord baby Jesus, what even is this (w)rec(k)? Genuinely can't tell if it's really good troll or a combo box of shit taste and no brains.

+1 NGE
+1 Paranoia Agent
+1 Lain

Also: Mind Game is you like symbolism and associated brain teasing.
Jan 28, 2015 8:16 AM
Dec 2014

*sigh*
...another asshole trying to show what a smart-ass is he
Jan 28, 2015 8:20 AM

Dec 2014
umineko no naku koro ni.
mirai nikki.
akame ga kill.
Jan 28, 2015 8:23 AM

Aug 2014
Akai_Shuichi said:
Higashi_no_Kaze said:
Texhnolyze
Shinsekai Yori

Spice & Wolf

Serial Experiments Lain
Boogiepop Phantom
Higurashi

Is Crest/Banner of the Stars similar to LotGH? at least half as good? recommendable?

Not as good, but recommendable. It's a different kind of show for most part, though.
Jan 28, 2015 8:31 AM

Jun 2014
Mawaru Penguindrum
Texhnolyze
Monster
All credit goes to Sacred.
Jan 28, 2015 8:55 AM

Jan 2014
Tokyo Ghoul (not an overcomplicated plot but raises quite some questions about human nature)
Kiseijuu (similar to Tokyo Ghoul maybe even more extreme, less action)
Death Parade
Durarara!! (where most episodes start off by seemingly not making sense but then everything is slowly revealed as you continue watching)
Baccano! (same as durarara!! but even more complex as it follows over 20 characters over four different time periods)
I'm not rude... I just wasn't taught to politely pretend to be nice to people I can't stand.
Jan 28, 2015 10:31 AM
Oct 2014
You know, i'm going to go with Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann (my all time favourite) On the outside it might seem like a simple michael bay anime but in truth it is very deep with many subplots, much symbolism and much more. An example would be the (this is a major spoiler, if you havne't watched, don't click)
[spoiler]boota subplot and yoko choosing kamina (she was given examples of many of her desires such as pro sniper, teacher, etc etc, but she turned off the tv that kamina was holding:in other words what the TRULY desired was to be with kamina.)
Jan 28, 2015 10:57 AM

Mar 2014
Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu

I didn't see it yet but some mates said it's the greatest Anime of all time, period. Seems to be also very complex with all the relations etc.
Jan 28, 2015 12:15 PM

Feb 2010
Insertanamehere said:
Akai_Shuichi said:

Not as good, but recommendable. It's a different kind of show for most part, though.

I suppose it's worth a try then.

People need societies, but they don't necessarily need nations. - Yang Wen-li
Jul 4, 2015 7:22 PM

Sep 2014
K-on
Jul 4, 2015 7:45 PM

Jan 2015
Kara no Kyoukai. That shit mind fvcked me so hard

Jul 4, 2015 7:49 PM

Aug 2014
davinci12 said:
K-on

Um... do you know what the word "Complex" means?

More topics from this board

» Series with cute clothing and art style?

StrawberryBlxxd - Apr 16

13 by BenjaminJunior »»
13 minutes ago

» Help finding a Manga

mikemike25251 - 2 hours ago

0 by mikemike25251 »»
2 hours ago

» Best mystery/detective series I haven't seen yet?

Curlybrace101 - Apr 4

10 by boguda »»
5 hours ago

» Recommend me an anime based on my favorites!

iamnottesslol - Apr 21

10 by boguda »»
5 hours ago

» if anyone is into some messed up manhwas read I Tamed My Ex-Husband's Mad Dog

Rijouku - Apr 1

2 by Rijouku »»
7 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.