Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jan 27, 2015 4:05 AM
Mar 2014
Implement user-created 'mini-lists' (or simply lists) so users can easily display sections of things they liked, such as AOTYs or recommendations. Take Letterboxd's lists section, for example. I don't think the current "favourites" section is comprehensive or reflective enough to dismiss this suggestion. There are no comedies I'd list in my user favourites, for example, but there are ones I'd highly recommend.
I propose that they'd work similarly to groups - related lists would appear much like related groups do, and recently updated lists would be similarly shown in the default panel. Perhaps there are better ways of going about this, though, so let me know what you think.

RateYourMusic also has a similar feature. IMDB does, too, but I can't find a handy link to it.
vegetablespiritJan 27, 2015 4:15 AM
Jan 27, 2015 1:02 PM

Jan 2012
I guess i know what u meant

Jan 27, 2015 10:19 PM

Oct 2009
It's also called custom lists on AniList, right?
Jan 28, 2015 6:00 AM
Mar 2014
Serhiyko said:

I didn't know that AniList had this feature until you pointed it out, but yeah - that's.. exactly what I'm looking for. I guess it could serve as a decent example of how to implement this feature.
Jan 29, 2015 11:54 AM

Jul 2013
vodall said:
Serhiyko said:

I didn't know that AniList had this feature until you pointed it out, but yeah - that's.. exactly what I'm looking for. I guess it could serve as a decent example of how to implement this feature.

If its like the custom lists on AniList i would love it. It has been suggested before; so lets hope with the new team on MAL we can get it!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 29, 2015 11:55 AM

Mar 2013
Serhiyko said:

Yeah, it is. I must say, it is really awesome. One can practically configure their own lists without as many inner restrictions.
Jan 29, 2015 2:48 PM

Sep 2014
I agree
Why are we still here? Just to suffer? Every night, I can feel my leg... and my arm... even my fingers. The body I've lost... the comrades I've lost... won't stop hurting... It's like they're all still there. You feel it, too, don't you? I'm gonna make them give back our past."
Jan 31, 2015 10:51 PM

Mar 2011
I would suggest col umns, instead of lists, but options are options. Assuming the point is more customiZation, I agree. The gap b/t default settings and full customization is quite drastic.

The point about the favorites is pretty strong, too. The current three are logical choices, yet a few more could be fun. Quotes and scenes, for instance...lol.

Hopeully, this gets a ttn. Lots of potential there is.
Feb 1, 2015 12:14 AM

Oct 2009
sheep-e said:
The point about the favorites is pretty strong, too. The current three are logical choices, yet a few more could be fun. Quotes and scenes, for instance...lol.

That's what your "About Me" is for
Feb 1, 2015 1:30 AM

Dec 2014
Serhiyko said:
sheep-e said:

That's what your "About Me" is for

yea if you know how to use it, like adding some links in one picture
Feb 2, 2015 10:57 PM

Mar 2011
For additions w/ mostly subjective benefits, I agree. Existing feats (like about me, blogs, and tags) are pretty flexible. Innovation shouldn't be an excuse againnst legitimately beneficial suggestions, though. Consider the time saved by a ge nre column, for example.
Feb 2, 2015 10:59 PM

Jul 2012
Something like a blog with image support would be cool. Like blogs right now, just list anime/manga in titles. But an option to make them show as thumbnails would be what OP wants, right?
Feb 3, 2015 3:21 PM

Jan 2013
I'd be behind this as long as it's on the profile and not the actual list itself. Or if it were just a separate list feature you can turn off using CSS or options.
Feb 4, 2015 5:49 AM
Mar 2014
Syrup- said:
I'd be behind this as long as it's on the profile and not the actual list itself. Or if it were just a separate list feature you can turn off using CSS or options.

A seperate creatable list would be what I'm aiming for, yes. That is, it wouldn't be required.
Feb 4, 2015 7:01 AM

Mar 2013
Syrup- said:

If you are referring to custom lists, then I don't think you know what you're taking about. They are basic CSS lists, just configured with a lot more freedom than Mal offers.
May 29, 2016 2:52 AM

Dec 2010
Are you tired of endless "recommend me some serious anime ", "recommend me some ninja anime", "i want comedy with fighting".

There is simple solution. We need real list feature. I will give you example how should this work. Its from RateyourMusic: site rating movies and music.

https://rateyourmusic.com/list/Goregirl/goregirls_guide_to_horror_films/ - this is a good list from this site. You have everything here - link to movie, description, categorization.

https://rateyourmusic.com/list/JasonHernandez/b_movies__cult_films__and_wretched_sleaze__the_2010s/

Of course you can also make a casual list and its nice - https://rateyourmusic.com/list/Mars0/anime_gems/

The proces of creating the list - http://i.imgur.com/cIkEPIv.jpg

Thanks to feature similiar to this we can have a lot of lists with a good ideas. For example:
- psychological animes
- action animes
- weird animes
- my favourites from .... season
- the worst anime ever
- animes with ninjas
- short animes

etc, etc.

It would certainly be helpful with the recomendations subforum, and its a lot of fun to do a nice list. Trust me.
May 29, 2016 3:50 AM

Oct 2014
DOES CAPITALIZING SOUND MORE GREAT? GEE I GUESS IT DOES. Leaving that aside this seems like a recycled idea of adding more than one list to one user but instead you can publish it and show it off to the world just like your dix

With the inception of featured articles and their oh-so-great 10 anime babes that'll blow your mind (aka dix) off, I find that this feature would be blatantly misused. If you really want to create a custom list just use the blog feature and share that link everywhere. I agree that it's a pain to use BBCode and make it more readable but the idea of having more than one list has been shot down already.

People asking for recommendation forum seem to forget there is a search feature and most people that post there are new here so I don't blame them as well. To conclude it, I can see this feature has merit but implementing it seems a far stretch to me.

EDIT1 = kek, I didn't even realize the topics got merged ;-; Anyway my first capital line was in response to the previous thread title so don't mind my outburst there.
IizyMay 29, 2016 9:58 PM
I don't know why people write that they are approachable persons,
if you were you wouldn't be on MAL.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Extended families or lovers on MAL are a farce.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
May 29, 2016 7:43 AM

Dec 2010
It shouldn`t be seen as adding more lists, because the idea behind this was to do detailed lists about some topic/themes.

Well, I guess you have a good point. It could be missused.

Making a good blog list from BBCode is really awful mess to be honest. Maybe some improvement with this? Like in the example I have posted. Clickable name with a poster and a place for description. Would be nice feature I think.
May 29, 2016 12:37 PM

Sep 2011
Merged topics
May 29, 2016 12:52 PM

Dec 2015
Similar topic here:
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1514576

I approve of this - it actually could be useful if you could compare affinity only for certain types of anime which you put in some list.

And of course it would be easier than doing everything manually with BBCode.

More topics from this board

» Reply button should show text that will be quoted.

Euthymia_Gerv - Apr 15

4 by Euthymia_Gerv »»
11 hours ago

» @ sign spam/attack

kuroneko99 - Apr 16

3 by Jhiday »»
Yesterday, 11:11 AM

» Preview for "About Me" section

NubFix - Mar 24, 2022

5 by NubFix »»
Apr 16, 10:16 PM

» Could MAL match users with the most similar watched anime and ratings?

mur_koshka - Apr 7

4 by mur_koshka »»
Apr 16, 1:44 AM

» Users who haven't finished an anime should be restricted on rating it

Thruddingsfly - Feb 15

39 by 3miL »»
Apr 14, 11:07 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.