Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jan 25, 2015 2:46 PM
Jan 2014
title.

why not delete old accounts that haven't logged on for 5 years at least ? is there really a chance of that user logging back again after so many years ?,,, it makes the username reusable too ...
Jan 25, 2015 3:31 PM

Sep 2011
People do come back after years of breaks/not visiting. I don't think it's fair to delete an account, so... This suggestion is a terrible idea.
Jan 25, 2015 3:33 PM

Jul 2011
Tyrel said:
People do come back after years of breaks/not visiting. I don't think it's fair to delete an account, so... This suggestion is a terrible idea.

then people should have the option to delete their own account instead of having to delete everything on their profiles
Jan 25, 2015 3:35 PM

Sep 2011
marriage said:
Tyrel said:

then people should have the option to delete their own account instead of having to delete everything on their profiles
Great idea.

>Get hacked
>Hacker deletes your account

And even saying the whole 'Send a confirmation email X to confirm deletion' won't always work.
Jan 25, 2015 3:37 PM

Jul 2011
Tyrel said:
marriage said:

Great idea.

>Get hacked

you can keep an export file thing of your list.
and no one would ever care enough to hack into someones MAL just to delete it, this site has nothing important on it
Jan 25, 2015 3:38 PM

Sep 2011
marriage said:
Tyrel said:
Great idea.

>Get hacked

and no one would ever care enough to hack into someones MAL just to delete it, this site has nothing important on it
Just like the people who hack accounts and post gore, amiright?
Jan 25, 2015 3:41 PM

Nov 2010
marriage said:
Tyrel said:
Great idea.

>Get hacked

Which doesn't help with posts, friends, your id number, clubs, etc etc etc.
Jan 25, 2015 3:42 PM

Jul 2011
Tyrel said:
marriage said:

Just like the people who hack accounts and post gore, amiright?

you say that like people are on here getting hacked every day

gaiaonline doesnt allow account deletion and all my embarrassing shit from when I was 12 still exists on those profiles
Jan 25, 2015 3:43 PM

Sep 2011
IntroverTurtle said:
marriage said:

And this sums it up.
Jan 25, 2015 3:48 PM

Jul 2011
Tyrel said:
IntroverTurtle said:
And this sums it up.

- Why would you want to keep your posts? Do you browse your own post history or care about your post count?
- You can re-add friends and re-join clubs on a new account
- Whats id # for?

You are losing nothing actually important through account deletion that you cant get back by making a new account and are just paranoid that someone will care enough to hack into it
Jan 25, 2015 4:10 PM

Jul 2013
marriage said:
Tyrel said:
And this sums it up.

- Why would you want to keep your posts? Do you browse your own post history or care about your post count?
- You can re-add friends and re-join clubs on a new account
- Whats id # for?

You are losing nothing actually important through account deletion that you cant get back by making a new account and are just paranoid that someone will care enough to hack into it

Post numbers and when you joined MAL under your profile picture is important too some people. Having the option to delete your own account is a horrible idea, same is the suggestion to delete all accounts that are X years old.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 25, 2015 4:11 PM

Jul 2012
marriage said:

You're assuming we can remember every single friend and club.
Jan 25, 2015 4:23 PM

Jul 2011
mayukachan said:
marriage said:

I promise no one is plotting to hack worthless MAL accounts and steal your MAL identity and post count

If someone hacked your account the most they would do is join the yaoi club and give naruto a 10/10 rating

if they were your true friends you would remember all of their usernames by heart
Jan 25, 2015 4:29 PM

Jul 2012
marriage said:
mayukachan said:

I promise no one is plotting to hack worthless MAL accounts and steal your MAL identity and post count

If someone hacked your account the most they would do is join the yaoi club and give naruto a 10/10 rating

if they were your true friends you would remember all of their usernames by heart

pffft
i mean acquaintances. i talk to a lot of people here. we don't have to be friends to talk about stuff.

i want my post count to reset because people keep harassing me over it
Jan 25, 2015 4:40 PM

Nov 2010
marriage said:
mayukachan said:

Someone's already hacked a MAL mod account and deleted accounts so... He also changed people's names and posted stupid stuff... The same guy who causes problems on the site every couple of months to a year so....
Jan 25, 2015 9:55 PM

Feb 2013
marriage said:
mayukachan said:

That's some mighty fine reassurance you got there. Any chance you could explain that to someone who just recently accused me of hacking their account?
Jan 25, 2015 9:58 PM
Apr 2013
NTAD said:
marriage said:

That's some mighty fine reassurance you got there. Any chance you could explain that to someone who just recently accused me of hacking their account?
Yeah man, stop hacking other people's accounts and post loli vids.
Jan 25, 2015 10:31 PM

Feb 2013
worldeditor11 said:
NTAD said:
Yeah man, stop hacking other people's accounts and post loli vids.
I'm such a bad man. Shame on me.
Jan 26, 2015 3:19 AM

Jan 2011
marriage said:
I dunno, some people are pretty salty.
Jan 26, 2015 5:54 AM

Jun 2014
I agree with this. Like there should be a rule which stipulates that you have to login at least once every 5 years. Logging in takes like 2 seconds, if you can't do that once in 5 years then what in the heck are you doing here? You obviously don't care about any friends or whatever you might have here and can just export yout list to somewhere it will actually be useful (you can even use Excel).

This will make usernames reusable and will even make MAL popularity and scores more useful and reliable since troll accounts that were used to boost/drop a series rating and was never found years ago will be deleted if the users never log in (very likely since it's just a troll account anyway)
Jan 28, 2015 10:45 AM

Jun 2014
But you can't ask him/her to nuke all your posts.
Jan 28, 2015 2:25 PM

Jan 2012
ReaperCreeper said:
marriage said:
I dunno, some people are pretty salty.

Or rather they got Too Much Free Time

Jan 30, 2015 3:08 AM

Oct 2009
KitOsborn said:
Anyway, if you're so against account deletion, how about a name-change option? That way the account can be, for all intents and purposes, removed from any affiliation to your real life, yet it still exists in case you wish to reclaim it from the hackers who are clearly out to get you.

And how are you supposed to log in into your renamed account if you don't know that it was renamed?
Jan 30, 2015 4:59 AM

Nov 2010
Not a good idea. I came back after years and became more active than ever.
Jan 30, 2015 9:53 PM

Jan 2013
how about just deleting the ones that have 0 activity whatsoever? Like 0.0 days watched/read, and 0 posts/comments?
Jan 31, 2015 10:04 AM

Oct 2009
KitOsborn said:
The only thing account deletion would add to the system is removal of forum posts/post counts. Now, why are you so against that?

I am not against logging with email
Jan 31, 2015 8:44 PM
Community Admin
sunny moment

May 2010
KitOsborn said:
The only thing account deletion would add to the system is removal of forum posts/post counts. Now, why are you so against that?

I am not against the idea of a button to nuke your account, but I don't support it nuking all traces of you on MAL. So assuming there's a time delay like facebook or whatever to circumvent abuse to it, if you had 10000 posts and the system would have to go delete all of them for you... No, posts should not be removed. If they were, you would end up with empty quotes in other people's posts, discussions that don't follow, etc.

As for the old accounts thing, I think their name can be yielded upon some to-be-decided conditions that stipulate inactivity but I admit I'm not sure how to handle the old user logging back in.
Jan 31, 2015 8:48 PM

Aug 2008
Tensho said:
KitOsborn said:

I am not against the idea of a button to nuke your account, but I don't support it nuking all traces of you on MAL. So assuming there's a time delay like facebook or whatever to circumvent abuse to it, if you had 10000 posts and the system would have to go delete all of them for you... No, posts should not be removed. If they were, you would end up with empty quotes in other people's posts, discussions that don't follow, etc.

As for the old accounts thing, I think their name can be yielded upon some to-be-decided conditions that stipulate inactivity but I admit I'm not sure how to handle the old user logging back in.
Agreed. Such an inclusion can and will completely break the forums. This is a tried and tested subject, as old as the concept of online forums itself. Globally deleting posts is a bad idea.
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur.
Feb 5, 2015 1:21 AM

Mar 2014
I agree with this. At least people MUST have the ability to request a deletion of the account. We need to think about the consciousness of the web and the future of the internet itself.

The existing of future people is reduced on the one hand of the role of the consumers and on the other hand of the role of the SHOWING people. We don't live our lifes (become too boring), people now document it in all aspects and share and show it! We are a nation of showing people!(EVEN IF NOBODY WATCHES THE SHIT.. never mind just keep posting shit)
Even today more pictures are taken and uploaded, than pics are consumed. Not people are relevant any more ... BUT the counters, klicks. This klicks, events, lists intend our lifes...

[ Daseinszweck zukünftiger Menschen ausschliesslich auf einerseits die Rolle des Konsumenten (von den wenigen Nutzniessern einmal abgesehen) und andererseits auf die Rolle des Zeigenden. Man führt sein Leben nicht mehr (dazu ist es einfach zu langweilig geworden), man dokumentiert und zeigt es. Wir werden ein Volk von Zeigenden (auch wenn sich niemand den ganzen Kram mehr anschaut).
Es werden heute schon mehr Bilder gemacht und hochgeladen, als Bilder angeschaut. Denn nicht die Menschen sind relevant, sondern stattdessen anoname Zähler. Ereignisse und Klicks bestimmen unser Leben und als Dauertipper können wir daran teilhaben. ]
Feb 5, 2015 7:25 AM

Nov 2010
Z3noN said:
I agree with this. At least people MUST have the ability to request a deletion of the account. We need to think about the consciousness of the web and the future of the internet itself.
You've always had the ability to request your account to be deleted.
Feb 5, 2015 7:38 AM

Oct 2009
IntroverTurtle said:
Z3noN said:
You've always had the ability to request your account to be deleted.

He meant your account
Feb 16, 2016 3:55 PM

Feb 2014
Or we could change forums name on the ones whom havent logged in for 5 years so that the old names whom isnt really used or has been for atleast 5 years become availble.
Your love is like an anime, finished after 1 night.

~only dead fish follow the stream~
Feb 17, 2016 1:07 AM

Feb 2014
Annuvin said:
@kiingsiize
Psst, this has already been done, sort of.
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1430734

oooooh, thats cool o,o Thanks
Your love is like an anime, finished after 1 night.

~only dead fish follow the stream~
Sep 6, 2016 12:50 AM
Jan 2013
I didn't read all the posts here but skimmed over them.

I like this idea because it would help prevent fake accounts from persisting, but above people saying they don't want to loose their accounts even after five years. There is one simple solution to that: Accounts won't be deleted. None of your information will, however, your scores won't appear in an anime's score until you relogin to your account if you're gone for 4 years. I think it's better if the time period were a bit shorter. More like 4 years. Because 4 years is still a long time.
AyaneSep 6, 2016 12:55 AM
Sep 6, 2016 1:00 AM

Jun 2014
Ayame1 said:

I like this idea because it would help prevent fake accounts from persisting, but above people saying they don't want to loose their accounts even after five years. There is one simple solution to that: Accounts won't be deleted. None of your information will, however, your scores won't appear in an anime's score until you relogin to your account if you're gone for 4 years. I think it's better if the time period were a bit shorter. More like 4 years. Because 4 years is still a long time.

I don't really grasp what you mean. So, you are against deleting the account option, bit feel our scores will vanish until were relogin? I don't see how that would work and deleting accounts in any shape or form would always be a bad idea due to the hacking possibility.
Sep 6, 2016 1:26 AM
Jan 2013
Kagami said:
Ayame1 said:

I don't really grasp what you mean. So, you are against deleting the account option, bit feel our scores will vanish until were relogin? I don't see how that would work and deleting accounts in any shape or form would always be a bad idea due to the hacking possibility.

After 4 years, your personal ratings would not take affect on anime ratings until you logged in again, thus making your account considered active. Only accounts active within 4 years should have their scores take affect on anime pages.

It would make it so fake accounts that were created just to raise or lower the rating of certain anime would eventually have their scores hidden. Because these accounts are probably never going to be logged into again anyway.

Does that make sense now? A system like this would start improving anime scores after 4 years (or whatever time period they chose).

Because for some reason people feel the need to create 10 accounts just to raise the rating of an anime.

What do you think?
AyaneSep 6, 2016 1:33 AM
Sep 6, 2016 1:33 AM

Jun 2014
Ayame1 said:
Kagami said:

After 4 years, your personal ratings would not take affect on anime ratings until you logged in again, thus making your account considered active. Only accounts active within 4 years should have their scores take affect on anime pages.

It would make it so fake accounts that were created just to raise or lower the rating of certain anime would eventually have their scores hidden. Because these accounts are never going to be logged into again anyway.

Does that make sense now? A system like this would start improving anime scores after 4 years (or whatever time period they chose).

Wow. I made a few spelling errors in my last post.

Anyway, back OT: We already have a job as users to link suspect accounts that do this sort of immature action so they can be deleted. I also disagree with your suggestion because just because a user fails to login again doesn't mean their ratings should eventually be taken away from the database.

Also, let's say myanimelist exists in 100 years and even longer - That means members who can't login anymore would have their scores all negated and that'd make the scores in the database take a MASSIVE hit. Our scores should stay intact so future generations could use them as examples.
Sep 6, 2016 3:48 AM
Jan 2013
Kagami said:
Ayame1 said:

It would make it so fake accounts that were created just to raise or lower the rating of certain anime would eventually have their scores hidden. Because these accounts are never going to be logged into again anyway.

Wow. I made a few spelling errors in my last post.

Anyway, back OT: We already have a job as users to link suspect accounts that do this sort of immature action so they can be deleted. I also disagree with your suggestion because just because a user fails to login again doesn't mean their ratings should eventually be taken away from the database.

Also, let's say myanimelist exists in 100 years and even longer - That means members who can't login anymore would have their scores all negated and that'd make the scores in the database take a MASSIVE hit. Our scores should stay intact so future generations could use them as examples.

At the beginning I thought this system would remove the need of reporting fake accounts thus saving time because their scores would eventually be hidden. But it'd be a slow process (4 years) and could take it's toll over the overall number of real reviews. I was also considering the fake accounts that do not get deleted because they can not be proven fake. They disguise the account with mixed ratings to keep the account up then never log in ever again.

Thinking about it some more, though, it's probably best not to implement something like this because the total number of real accounts will probably outnumber the fake tenfold anyway.

...But I do think empty accounts should be deleted automatically after some time. Not only are they a waste of space, but no one can use that username anymore and may lead to them having it changed manually by admins (wasting more time).
AyaneSep 6, 2016 4:19 AM
Sep 6, 2016 4:14 AM

Jun 2014
@Ayame1 - Not important? Let me stop you there and convey why you are not analyzing the entire picture. Ratings (even 100 years old) are VERY important as they show what was popular at the time and guides new users who just begin as anime fans. Saying our ratings hold no importance makes little sense to me and seeing the ratings constantly shift and change due to people not coming on anymore would create havoc. I promise you the benefits of adding this DO NOT outweigh the eventual negatives and your idea actually breaks the very foundation of this site.

Its not a bad idea, just wasn't very thought out.
Sep 6, 2016 4:23 AM
Jan 2013
I was still editing my post ya know. Sorry, but I take a while to sort my thoughts and didn't expect you to read it so soon. (._.") I should use preview instead. Anyway, some of the things you said are the exact same things I was editing my post for after I read through my post 20 times. Then finally I saw your post. I see that we kind of agree.

Kagami said:
Ratings (even 100 years old) are VERY important as they show what was popular at the time
I personally don't see this as important. I don't see any perks this information would provide people 100 years in the future. This information may be interesting, but not important. But it doesn't matter what I think about this anyway, because the idea I suggested before is not actually a good idea.

Kagami said:
Saying our ratings hold no importance makes little sense to me
I never said that, though.

Kagami said:
seeing the ratings constantly shift and change due to people not coming on anymore would create havoc
Agreed, although that would also mean the website is becoming unpopular for some reason, but that would only make it even worse.

Kagami said:
I promise you the benefits of adding this DO NOT outweigh the eventual negatives and your idea actually breaks the very foundation of this site.
Agreed. I came to that conclusion as well while editing my post...
AyaneSep 6, 2016 4:58 AM
Sep 6, 2016 5:51 AM
Jul 2018
MAL still feels that people will come back after 8 years. I don't think they will deleted the old accounts.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Add list setting to make notes private (on public lists)

S_h_a_r_k_93 - Nov 12, 2022

25 by anonymate »»
24 minutes ago

» Add number of episodes and number of members in the advanced search.

Yacine2104 - Jan 10

8 by Alexioos95 »»
10 hours ago

» Local Language districts

kuroneko99 - Apr 22

5 by Luchipher-Zen »»
Yesterday, 1:02 PM

Poll: » Change picture of favorite character ( 1 2 )

gehoti2822 - Nov 12, 2022

60 by AgravityBoy »»
Yesterday, 9:09 AM

» Corporate images

Noctisnox - May 15, 2023

19 by himanshi122 »»
Apr 19, 5:51 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.