Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jan 25, 2015 1:24 PM

Jul 2014
Doesnt this show kinda hate religion?? it makes sense though
Shirayuki= Most Perfect Female MC ever
Jan 25, 2015 1:39 PM
Dec 2008
Yamada2 said:
So Maria's virginity is really a part of the story. Lol. What if someone learns about this and spreads the news? All those who hate Maria will come and try to rape her so that she loses her virginity along with her powers. Lol.

Thankfully that doesn't happen in the manga so it's not occurring here either.

The context also made it clear that what matters is her choice, not what you're suggesting. It wouldn't work that way.
Jan 25, 2015 1:46 PM
Nov 2014
Now I have absolute proof that the Lord loves lolis, long live lolis.
Jan 25, 2015 1:51 PM

Mar 2014
I absolutely love those little birds. The fight was really funny

I felt bad for that hog though
Jan 25, 2015 1:55 PM

Dec 2013
Poor Maria has to stay a virgin. Can't imagine how horrible that would be.
Jan 25, 2015 1:59 PM

Jan 2013
"I just want to do it with anyone already!" - Priapos
Haha that scene though. It was really funny.

Poor Maria. She'll lose her powers if she has sex.
And that stupid church -.- I agree with Maria.

Jan 25, 2015 2:36 PM
Nov 2014
Tokoya said:
These angels are all a bunch of dicks, but thanks to watching Supernatural for many years I'm used to it

Ezekial has a huge stick up her as but with time I think she'll become likable, her personality isn't all that bad tho

I lol'd so hard at the part when she got ganged up on by Artemis and the Incubus but then I died when the Incubus complained about not having a penis yet....All he wants to do is fuck bitches xDDD

Pretty good episode overall, I really enjoyed watching Maria give not only the angels the middle finger but that priest as well

Also is that dark presence at the end suppose to represent Satan or something?

>>All he wants to do is fuck bitches xDDD

Man is as it is lol
Jan 25, 2015 2:59 PM
Oct 2012
Tokoya said:

No, it is a pagan god from Celtic mythology. Though in popular witch tradition the two were conflated.

But this is where things get a bit weird. The Catholic Church really never persecuted witches. Most of the stories about witch burnings were invented in the 19th century (this is not to say that witches were not burnt, but the numbers are far smaller than most people think, and they actually primarily occurred in the 1500 and 1600s - not the middle ages (ironically the clergy knew better before the so called "enlightenment" occurred). This was because late 19th century historians took anti Catholic fiction as fact (and did so for about 100 years until modern historians actually thought to check the records ).

The idea that witchcraft was actual a form of paganism is also modern, it was invented in the 1920s by someone named Margaret Murray. She claimed that the witches worshiped the "horned god", and this is where the Celtic god was brushed off and assumed to be the one witches worshiped. Her stuff has pretty much been discredited, but it has achieved a second life in feminist studies (which says a lot about feminist studies).
Jan 25, 2015 3:05 PM

Aug 2014
Well, now Maria have to be more carefully with is own magic, and if she loses her virginity she also loses her powers...
Maloween 2017
Main Candies
Jan 25, 2015 3:13 PM

Feb 2013
The show's just getting more and more interesting.
Glad they held off putting the whole "virgin" thing into play for a while, waiting until she had some reason to want to get rid of it. Maria continues to be a pretty great character in this episode. I like Joseph, but so far his character seems a little bit boring. He's got decent development, but I hope he gets fleshed out some more.
The version of practiced Christianity in this anime is actually really accurate, and I like that. Keeps everything grounded in the historical setting.
Also, jokes about Priapus's lack of package of any sort will never not be funny.

Takuan_Soho said:
Tokoya said:

No, it is a pagan god from Celtic mythology. Though in popular witch tradition the two were conflated.

But this is where things get a bit weird. The Catholic Church really never persecuted witches. Most of the stories about witch burnings were invented in the 19th century (this is not to say that witches were not burnt, but the numbers are far smaller than most people think, and they actually primarily occurred in the 1500 and 1600s - not the middle ages (ironically the clergy knew better before the so called "enlightenment" occurred). This was because late 19th century historians took anti Catholic fiction as fact (and did so for about 100 years until modern historians actually thought to check the records ).

The idea that witchcraft was actual a form of paganism is also modern, it was invented in the 1920s by someone named Margaret Murray. She claimed that the witches worshiped the "horned god", and this is where the Celtic god was brushed off and assumed to be the one witches worshiped. Her stuff has pretty much been discredited, but it has achieved a second life in feminist studies (which says a lot about feminist studies).

Actually, what was considered "witchcraft" back in the time of the hundred year's war pretty much was Paganism. Most of this "witchcraft" were just traditional remedies and rituals derived from local Pagan traditions.
NessieFynnJan 25, 2015 3:17 PM
Jan 25, 2015 3:20 PM

Sep 2013
Anyone else notice the voice of Makishima Shougo and Suzaku Kururugi?
Jan 25, 2015 3:36 PM
Oct 2012
NessieFynn said:
Actually, what was considered "witchcraft" back in the time of the hundred year's war pretty much was Paganism. Most of this "witchcraft" were just traditional remedies and rituals derived from local Pagan traditions.

Most folk remedies were just that "folk remedies", they weren't really tied to "paganism" nor where they really considered "witchcraft" (all cultures have "magic", it was just one of those background radiation things that people just accepted as is). The idea that "witchcraft" was associated with anything "pagan" was invented within the last 150 years as a rationalization for why the church condemned "witchcraft", but the funny thing is that the church really never cared about "witchcraft", so the rationalization was about something that never happened.

The whole idea that they burnt witches in the middle ages is a myth. Joan of Arc was burnt for 'heresy', but it was quite clear it was a secular political execution by the British with "heresy" as the excuse (and ultimately they couldn't even prove her guilty of heresy, she ended up be killed because they accused her of perjury for wearing men's clothing despite promising not to).

But this didn't stop people from inventing a whole host of ideas about this supposed persecution: no, midwives were not targeted, indeed on the balance if a midwife was involved she was on the persecuting side, nor was witchcraft targeted at women (of the 30-40,000 witched burnt in European history, around 25-30% were men). The whole idea that witches were women was invented by 1 person in 1485 in a book that the Catholic church never took seriously (and indeed frequently condemned), and which achieved its chief fame far after the "witch craze" ended.

And most ironically. Chances are the Catholic Church and in particular the Inquisition SAVED far more people accused of witchcraft than not. Where the Inquisition was in power there were no witch burnings and when witch crazes spilled across the borders, they were quick to stamp it out (particularly the Jesuits). There is a reason why the majority of witch burnings occurred in border regions, where central authority did not exist.

I highly recommend reading some of the modern research on witchcraft. It is amazing how little all of us thought was true about it was just made up 200 or less years ago.
Takuan_SohoJan 25, 2015 3:48 PM
Jan 25, 2015 3:42 PM
Nov 2013
abyss333 said:

Well the church used their power very wrongly in that time period, I wouldn't say that this show is inaccurate when it comes to religion.

Joseph is a true man, even defying an angel for Maria. I don't see why Maria wouldn't give her virginity to him eventually. Ezekiel is so adorable! Kana's voice really suits her (and I love her sassy voice)
Jan 25, 2015 3:46 PM
Feb 2008
Was sad there were no lewd phrases this ep.
Jan 25, 2015 4:00 PM

Jan 2013
Another good episode. I hope there is character development by the end.
Jan 25, 2015 4:27 PM
Nov 2008
Madonis said:
Thankfully that doesn't happen in the manga so it's not occurring here either.

So, I assume you have read the manga ?
Because I could only read the first 12 chapters and it seems the anime is using another order for the events or diverging from it and I wanted to ask if this is the case from a manga reader.
Jan 25, 2015 6:00 PM

Oct 2013
"I'm going to die of hunger before I die in the war."

Besides the church & heavens, I can see Maria making enemies out of mercenaries as well.

That's 3 great episodes in a row now - this show's as much of a surprise to me as Bahamut was last season. It might not match it in style but if these 3 episodes are anything to go by, it makes up for it in substance.
Jan 25, 2015 6:54 PM

Aug 2014
this is getting more and more heavy.....it kinda feels like spice and wolf with the philosophical heaven and earth and devil debate and weather the other beings with powers are evil or heretic or not even though they are doing more good than harm.....
https://twitter.com/LightningDash02
OTPs || MyAnimeList || MyMangaList || Favorite Guys || Favorite Girls || Favorite Anime

~LightningXDash02
Jan 25, 2015 7:00 PM

Oct 2011
I hope Joseph and Maria get together in the end. Without losing her powers.

Dat Boar 0________0
Jan 25, 2015 9:39 PM

Jul 2009
dear God this show is gonna have so much hhhnnnnngggggg
Don't forget.
Always, somewhere,
someone is fighting for you.
As long as you remember her,
you are not alone.
Jan 25, 2015 10:33 PM

Nov 2014
diegofiuzab said:
Now I have absolute proof that the Lord loves lolis, long live lolis.

well i read somewhere that kids is like clear water... pure, when kids die they will always go to heaven

abyss333 said:

i don't think so, it just shows many sides of Christianity, especially the corruption of other priest at that specific time
Jan 26, 2015 3:13 AM

Mar 2013
Loli is truly a present from God+by Hanakana
Someone needs to give Priapos a d...
Jan 26, 2015 10:05 AM

Jul 2013
The owls vs Ezekiel is officially the best fight in anime history!
Jan 26, 2015 11:17 AM
Mar 2009
MoeGod said:
The owls vs Ezekiel is officially the best fight in anime history!

ROTFL

Well, I still like Majin Vegeta versus Goku as one of the most epic fights in anime history.

This episode makes me wish the series was already done so I could marathon it, but on the other hand, it works out well since I am busy this week anyhow.

Great series, great episode, although slower than previous it showed much more of the characters which are playing an important role. Love how Bernard is calmly biding his time until he can "eliminate" witch Maria, and how the "Ancient Ones" visit Maria to talk to her.

Fun times, so much happened in this episode in a very subtle way, this is well written and I will likely re-watch it a lot even more than Steins;Gate.
Jan 26, 2015 1:23 PM

Aug 2008
You tell them Joseph. Anyway, some are warmongers, some are balance keepers, while others just don't want any wars. Depending on the story, I can be swayed to any side. In this case, I like Maria.
Also, here she's more of a saint than the other saints, including God! For a witch, that are seen as evil, it sure feels nice.

Takuan_Soho said:
Yamada2 said:
So Maria's virginity is really a part of the story. Lol. What if someone learns about this and spreads the news? All those who hate Maria will come and try to rape her so that she loses her virginity along with her powers. Lol.

Not quite, according to Michael it is Maria's sacrifice of her own pleasure that preserves her power (and God is such a troll - he did it because of Joseph's confession - Maria is all sanctimonious, so he is like, lets see you put your money where your vag.....er, mouth is) , so the restriction is really against her volunteering to have sex.

Won't stop DJ'ns from getting riled up in the next events haha.
Jan 26, 2015 4:35 PM

Sep 2013
Joseph is a manly man.
Jan 26, 2015 6:27 PM

Apr 2012
I don't think anybody could truly hate apple cider.
Jan 26, 2015 6:28 PM

Aug 2014
I just hope Maria likes it in the butt.
Sieg Zeon!
Jan 26, 2015 9:19 PM
Mob Character C

Oct 2009
I think I'm falling or may have already fallen in love with this anime.

Enjoy your anime! | Witch Cafe Wisteria
Jan 27, 2015 3:32 PM

Feb 2012
The owls fighting was absolutely adorable.

QuattroVaginas said:
Haha. Yea technically she'd still be a virgin if she does anal ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jan 27, 2015 8:46 PM

Dec 2013
Fights with an archangel, walks with an angel on her shoulder, mocks the Human's Church and even receives forgiveness from God himself.............Maria is hot shit.

Joseph is a man among men! He better get that pussy at the end

I love how they still do the virginity gags with Ann around, if it wasn't for Maria...

Great episode, the pacing slowed down a bit and made this relaxing and easy to follow. Ezekiel is pretty cute.

5/5
FragOutFire said:

Why am I a Berserk fan? All I ever experience is pain.

We are in the eclipse and Miura has sacrificed us
Jan 28, 2015 1:17 AM

Apr 2014
QuattroVaginas said:
I like how you think. ;)
Jan 28, 2015 7:31 AM
Jan 2015
love this series, its amusing. I love how production ig change the character design because if you read the manga, all the character are not cute at all.
Jan 28, 2015 7:31 AM

Jul 2008
I bet Maria will lose her powers before the end of the series :) Ezekiel adds good comedy value into the series, I think the church will give Maria more headaches in the future if she continues to get involved with human affairs.
Jan 28, 2015 7:50 AM
Feb 2014
not bad, the series is starting to get better
Jan 28, 2015 10:54 AM

Jun 2008
Humanitarian said:
QuattroVaginas said:
I like how you think. ;)

Also since at least in short-term her pussy is out for commission, then she better learn why Artemis had a tired jaw in the first episode.
Jan 28, 2015 3:49 PM

Oct 2010
Is that a giant, gaping bald spot on the monk's head, or is he's wearing a skin-colored hat?
Jan 28, 2015 3:53 PM

Aug 2014
HowTragic said:
Is that a giant, gaping bald spot on the monk's head, or is he's wearing a skin-colored hat?

Tonsure.
Sieg Zeon!
Jan 28, 2015 4:33 PM

Aug 2011
u531355 said:
Maria & Joseph, here's your way:

Just... this.

» Escapism.

Jan 29, 2015 5:56 AM

Dec 2013
Kenchiin said:
u531355 said:
Maria & Joseph, here's your way:

Just... this.

Excellent loophole.... though I highly doubt Maria will be open to that....

Enjoyed this episode immensely, specially with Ezekiel being a truthful idiot and Maria actively checking for loopholes to get past her supervision. Ezekiel herself is an arrogant brat, and I loved how Maria's familiars were pecking her and telling her off. I'm pretty sure that attitude will change once she gets to know Maria a little more though.

And how the heck could she not like Apple Cider?!?! Blasphemy!

To be perfectly honest, I don't see Maria getting together with Joseph, and even if they do, 95% it's gonna be more platonic than fans are expecting. Joseph is way too respectful of Maria to try any funny business, and Maria's ideals and responsibilities will prevent her from losing her v-card.

Can't wait to see what other antics she thinks up to stop the next "war".
HESTIAAPPROVES
Jan 29, 2015 9:44 AM

Nov 2011
Convincing the episode, the plot seems to become more intricate and interesting although the pace of the narrative is a bit slow.
Dialogues that keep intact their equivocal sense, very beautiful designs and scenarios.
This TV series is enjoyable.
Jan 30, 2015 9:35 AM

Oct 2008
I wish they could stop using Hanazawa's voice to give chance to other rookie VA's...

QuattroVaginas said:

THIS.

I enjoyed the Loophole more than the episode.
matias067Jan 30, 2015 10:16 AM

Jan 31, 2015 3:51 PM

Feb 2013
So this has become the quest for Maria's virginity?
Feb 1, 2015 9:04 PM

Jun 2014
oh whoops! Totally forgot to mark this epsiode as seen last week. I was wondering why i didn't recongise what people were talking about in the comments.

SO yeah! Stuff happened. Something with an angel. Something about sex.
Be sure to message me if you quoted me and want me to respond! Just give me a link to the forum, because usually I leave my comment, then leave the forum.
Feb 6, 2015 4:26 PM

Jul 2009
Hmm, interesting punishment ... so Maria has to stay a virgin lest she loses her powers?! Well, judging how embarrassed she gets every time something related to that gets mentioned I'm guessing she's going to "save the world" or something before happily losing it and then not needing her powers again? :P Or maybe not, who knows~
Tricky of her to summon that while Ezekiel (I think?) was looking away ... LOL, definitely using the fact Michael isn't watching her the entire time to her advantage :P
Interesting conversation with Bernard, though obviously I expected her to refuse. Then he had to go and confess ... I wonder if we'll be seeing more of him too? :O
Next episode seems like everyone's trying to get her to give it up ... and poor Priapus, still without a "thing" XD
Feb 13, 2015 3:41 PM

Jul 2009
Great episode ^^

Looks like Joseph has confessed to Maria. I wonder if the heavens has heard of it and will probably punished Joseph for a human falling for a witch.

Ezekiel is funny as hell!! I love Kana Hanazawa's voice and i'm glad she's more tsun in this show XD

I lol'd when Ezekiel mentions that Michael can't look monitor Maria everytime.

Bernard got denied :P

Maria hates Apple Cider? It tastes good though ^^

Wtf he's asking for confession for talking to a witch? This is crazy.

Also Cernunnos is voiced by Takaya Hashi. I instantly recognize his voiced as Skull Face from Metal Gear Solid V The Phantom Pain.

Interesting punishment for Maria. I wouldn't be surprise by the end of the manga she wouldn't be a virgin anymore :P

Good stuff, can't wait for more!
Feb 18, 2015 4:31 AM

Jun 2013
Wow, I knew something's weird with the priest. He feels like Padre Damaso from the Noli Me Tangere novel.

I ship Maria x Joseph so badly.
Apr 5, 2015 8:44 PM

Jul 2013
Found this episode boring
Apr 6, 2015 12:30 AM

Dec 2012
That summoning of St. Michael :O

Apr 22, 2015 6:49 AM

Apr 2011
that was the cutest fight in history. XD
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Adoption

sandwich-boy - Oct 18, 2023

2 by Animaticide »»
Oct 18, 2023 11:16 PM

Poll: » Junketsu no Maria Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Mar 29, 2015

193 by WatchTillTandava »»
Jun 18, 2023 11:21 PM

Poll: » Junketsu no Maria Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 15, 2015

87 by Sarakitteh »»
May 25, 2023 9:18 PM

Poll: » Junketsu no Maria Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 22, 2015

93 by Assassin2112 »»
Sep 13, 2022 10:13 PM

Poll: » Junketsu no Maria Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 8, 2015

114 by KhoaVN »»
Jun 10, 2022 7:54 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.