Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jan 25, 2015 4:13 AM

Jun 2012
Hi, it's about time for me to get a laptop. I will be mainly using it for gaming, but when I go to university next year I'll be needing it for that too.
I want to be able to play League of Legends on high-very high settings with a good FPS. Can one of the following do that for me?
Both are Acer laptops with Windows 8.1

15,6 inch IPS screen (full HD)
8GB RAM
500GB HDD + 8GB SDD
i5 dual core @ 1.7 ghz
NVIDIA GeForce GT 840M 2GB

17,3 inch TN screen (full HD)
8GB RAM
500GB HDD
i5 dual core @ 2.5 ghz
NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 4GB

I think these are all the important details. If I left anything out, please say so. The first one is more expensive, but that doesn't matter all that much. A bigger screen would be better for gaming, but the one with the smaller screen is easier to transport. I think I would actually prefer a bigger screen, but I think I can get used to the smaller screen too. I hope you guys can help me.
Jan 25, 2015 4:18 AM

Jan 2009
from that choices you provide go with option 1 since NVIDIA GeForce GT 840M is based on maxwell architecture which is the newest one by NVIDIA
Jan 25, 2015 4:26 AM

Jun 2012
j0x said:
from that choices you provide go with option 1 since NVIDIA GeForce GT 840M is based on maxwell architecture which is the newest one by NVIDIA

The processor is pretty bad though, isn't it? Can it still run LoL smoothly? Is the laptop still kind of fast, actually?
Jan 25, 2015 4:26 AM

Dec 2012
2 the CPU and graphics card is better.

Jan 25, 2015 4:33 AM

Jan 2009
Mum said:
j0x said:

The processor is pretty bad though, isn't it? Can it still run LoL smoothly? Is the laptop still kind of fast, actually?

according to this - http://www.game-debate.com/gpu/index.php?gid=1955&gid2=1246&compare=geforce-840m-2gb-vs-geforce-gt-750m

those GPUs are tied with performance if you read the conclusions below but the GT 840M is more power efficient so it will make battery life of your laptop better

i say option 1 is more geared toward battery life performance, the lower CPU clock speed means lower power consumption too, and SSD is low power as well

if battery life is not your problem then ye go for option 2 like Turnip said
Jan 25, 2015 4:53 AM
Apr 2008
Go with 2 since you want to play on High settings with League of Legends. 1 is actually playable but it all down to price and preference.
Jan 25, 2015 5:01 AM

Nov 2013
I'd recommend 2, 1 may have a better GPU, but I think the better CPU would serve you better overall.
Jan 25, 2015 6:57 AM

Jun 2012
Battery life performance is a non-issue for me, so it seems like it'll be #2. :)
thanks for your comments
Jan 25, 2015 7:00 AM
Jul 2014
The 840GTM is fine for mid-ranged gaming, you can even play skyrim and fallout if you wish, just don't expect to play recent games on 60FPS ultra settings 1080p HD... I don't like both CPU's so pick a laptop with a better CPU
Jan 25, 2015 7:12 AM

Jun 2012
Blackout0219 said:
The 840GTM is fine for mid-ranged gaming, you can even play skyrim and fallout if you wish, just don't expect to play recent games on 60FPS ultra settings 1080p HD... I don't like both CPU's so pick a laptop with a better CPU

I really only want it to be able to play League with steady FPS on max settings, so I'm fine with that. The only other game I'd play is Civilization 5/BE and as long as it can run that with decent FPS on whatever settings, even the lowest, I'm fine with it.
#1 is 800 euros which really is the absolute maximum of my budget, so unfortunately I don't think getting a better CPU is an option for me.
Jan 25, 2015 7:54 AM

Jul 2013
I recently bought a laptop which I wanted to be decent for gaming, so I had all the same considerations. People say the first CPU is worse, which it is compared to the second one, but still decent I think. It has a lower clock speed, but I think most new i5s have turbo boost, so it will go up to maybe 2.7GHz if it needs to, providing it is cool enough.

I'd pick the second one, since it's cheaper and has a potentially better CPU, and even if the GPU is slightly worse the performance shouldn't really make that much difference for games like LoL. On my old laptop I had Intel GMA 4500M and still managed to get like 30fps on LoL on medium/low settings, so either GPU should be fine.

Hope this helps!
Jan 25, 2015 8:43 AM

Jun 2012
KatakuriMojo said:
I recently bought a laptop which I wanted to be decent for gaming, so I had all the same considerations. People say the first CPU is worse, which it is compared to the second one, but still decent I think. It has a lower clock speed, but I think most new i5s have turbo boost, so it will go up to maybe 2.7GHz if it needs to, providing it is cool enough.

I'd pick the second one, since it's cheaper and has a potentially better CPU, and even if the GPU is slightly worse the performance shouldn't really make that much difference for games like LoL. On my old laptop I had Intel GMA 4500M and still managed to get like 30fps on LoL on medium/low settings, so either GPU should be fine.

Hope this helps!

Is turbo boost the same as turbo frequency? #1's turbo frequency is 2.7 GHz, #2's is 3.1 GHz.
Jan 25, 2015 9:13 AM

Jul 2013
Don't quote me on this, but I think turbo frequency is the max frequency the CPU can go to, so essentially yes. The one that goes to 3.1GHz is obviously better, but for something like LoL I personally judge that 2.7~GHz should be enough, and the first CPU can probably reach that.
Jan 25, 2015 10:50 AM

Jun 2012
KatakuriMojo said:
Don't quote me on this, but I think turbo frequency is the max frequency the CPU can go to, so essentially yes. The one that goes to 3.1GHz is obviously better, but for something like LoL I personally judge that 2.7~GHz should be enough, and the first CPU can probably reach that.
Jan 25, 2015 11:40 AM

Jul 2013
Why not check out Asus or MSI's laptops?
Jan 25, 2015 12:41 PM

Jun 2012
Kurt_Irving said:
Why not check out Asus or MSI's laptops?

They are unfortunately above my budget.
Jan 25, 2015 1:18 PM

Oct 2013
Pick No.1, because trust me, you don't want to carry around a 17 inch laptop around uni. In fact, I would recommend getting a laptop with an even smaller screen (i.e. 13 inch).

However, both those laptops will struggle with playing LoL at very high qualities at their native resolution of 1080p while maintaining 60 fps (most important factor for competitive play). Their GPUs are simply too weak.

The ideal solution would be getting a cheap and weak laptop, netbook, Surface that's easy to carry around for uni, and then getting either a separate gaming deesktop or 17-inch gaming laptop for gaming.

I assume you live in the States? In that case you can get a Sager custom laptop with vastly superior bang for buck: http://www.sagernotebook.com/Notebook-NP7378.html

Otherwise an older or 2nd hand Asus/MSI laptop may be a good choice.
Jan 25, 2015 1:34 PM

Jun 2012
Rinth said:
Pick No.1, because trust me, you don't want to carry around a 17 inch laptop around uni. In fact, I would recommend getting a laptop with an even smaller screen (i.e. 13 inch).

However, both those laptops will struggle with playing LoL at very high qualities at their native resolution of 1080p while maintaining 60 fps (most important factor for competitive play). Their GPUs are simply too weak.

The ideal solution would be getting a cheap and weak laptop, netbook, Surface that's easy to carry around for uni, and then getting either a separate gaming deesktop or 17-inch gaming laptop for gaming.

I assume you live in the States? In that case you can get a Sager custom laptop with vastly superior bang for buck: http://www.sagernotebook.com/Notebook-NP7378.html

Otherwise an older or 2nd hand Asus/MSI laptop may be a good choice.

Dang, that looks quite cheap for a laptop with those specs... unfortunately you assumed wrong, I don't live in the US. ): But thanks for your advice, I will take it into consideration.
Jan 25, 2015 3:59 PM

Oct 2009
Judging from the CPU and GPU I think the #2 is the better option.
The #1 GPU looks high on the clock speed, but actually have half the bus size and renderer.
The most important things in life is the people that you care about

More topics from this board

» Gacha Survey

Shizuna - Apr 11

38 by Shizuna »»
3 minutes ago

» What are you playing right now? (v2) ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

anime-prime - Oct 4, 2020

3503 by DesuMaiden »»
11 minutes ago

» What's a hated game that you actually enjoyed?

SnipeStrike - Apr 13

26 by Theo1899 »»
6 hours ago

» Sega's Golden Axe video games series gets a cartoon adaptation

tchitchouan - Apr 17

2 by DesuMaiden »»
Yesterday, 3:27 PM

» Out of all the Mario games which did you play the most recently

KiraraFan - Apr 9

25 by SnipeStrike »»
Yesterday, 2:54 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.