Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Jan 20, 2015 6:32 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Wow lovely episode, this journey has just been so fascinating now.

I just like how Hak and the others are able to really focus on their task of making Yona a better person and their journey proves it quite well too with this week's development. Good to see Blue Dragon become more a team player as well.

These emotions though:
http://imgur.com/0pOynzK
Jan 20, 2015 6:33 AM

Nov 2007
From traditional, instrumental, calm OP to electronic OP... I don't know how to get used to the huge change immediately. The song itself is cool, and some clips are the same as previous OP though.

Talk between the dragons were friendly. Abandoned village, so that's how the people there saw the previous king. That made her cry a lot.

It's current king's turn. He's touring? and showing his normal self (not the ambitious self). The general was waiting for war, which the king visited him for, sort of.

ED is so pretty. I think I like this more than previous one. Even Preview music changed. It seems like what the king wants is a competition...
tsubasaloverJan 20, 2015 9:28 AM
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Jan 20, 2015 8:35 AM

Jul 2010
Yona crying after witnessing the mentioning of her father. Seeing famine and plagues that sweeps its way through villages, it was quite the powerful image on just how a king's action can lead to many consequences! It really was nice to hear how Hak felt about the previous king and his loyalty and admiration towards King II was pretty nice.

Su-won visiting around his country. Gung-tae was pretty awesome to say that he would rebel against the kingdom if it really comes down to it. Wanting war to bring back the glorying times that he witnessed.

Quite interested in what Su-won is planning by seemingly being worst than the previous king.
Jan 20, 2015 8:46 AM

Jul 2008
I really don't like the new opening song..... it just doesn't feel like it fits this series. Plus the fact that they did have an instrumental only piece as the opening made this series unique (since so very few anime have instrumental openings) but now..... not so much.
The new ending song was good though, nice and calming, very fitting for the anime.
Jan 20, 2015 8:51 AM

Aug 2010
Great as usual :) OP was quite different from the previous one. And it doesn't fit that much. I like it as a song but not for this series. And there were lots of reused scenes...DAT LAST SCENE IN IT THOUGH >.<!!! The YONA BAness is incoming very soon :D

Poor Yona hearing directly from the people how much they disliked her father :(
Her tears were so sad to see T^T
Definitely needs some Ao cuddling to get over that shit.

Loved how Hak talked about Il saying there's no way he was a coward.

The Su-Won part with Geun-Tea was really nice. He's just friggin unreadable. Anyone would think he's just an airhead. Man I'd love to see the reactions if people knew he killed Il ^^;

Nxt ep should be lots of fun :3 Geun-Tea is gonna witness some of Su-Won's true BAness.

ED was really awesome! I loved the previous ED but that's Akiko Shikata for u. Her music is epic :3
Barion-ZaraJan 20, 2015 9:12 AM
Jan 20, 2015 8:59 AM
Oct 2014
shizu_bara said:
I really don't like the new opening song..... it just doesn't feel like it fits this series. Plus the fact that they did have an instrumental only piece as the opening made this series unique (since so very few anime have instrumental openings) but now..... not so much.
The new ending song was good though, nice and calming, very fitting for the anime.

Agree, it feel awkward too...
Jan 20, 2015 9:14 AM
May 2014
It's surprising how efficient Su-Won is showing to be at running things under the surface. He's touring the kingdom to see the problems with his own eyes, his interest in the enshrined stone might be for the precious gems, that could sell well instead of iron, and the war games plus festival seem like a good way to foster trade (see Gung-tae complaining that not enough merchants are visiting).
Jan 20, 2015 9:15 AM

Apr 2014
Oh what just happened? Just after that eagle showed up I don't know what I'm watching.
I thought I'll be seeing Jae-ha but he didn't appear huh? I'm actually quite looking forward to it but this thing happens.

The question is, was that scene after the search for the Green Dragon was another Anime Original of Studio Pierrot?
Well I guess it was just made for Su-won because he didn't showed up for a long time. Anyway that original scene was quite funny.

Wait so that scene with Yu-won was 20 Chapters ahead about the Green Dragon Jae-ha huh?
But I guess It's quite not relevant to the Search of the Green Dragon. So I'll maybe let this pass.
If not, I Will be definitely be angry with Studio Pierrot again for this adaptation.

The New OP Song was kinda good, But it awfully didn't match the visuals and this series.
The New ED's visual and music was really good though.
Haters always gonna hate.
Jan 20, 2015 9:17 AM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
I still don't know what to think of Su-Won. I just don't trust this guy anymore.
Jan 20, 2015 9:47 AM

Oct 2014
Looks like Su-Won has something sinister against Gung-tea.

In fact there might be a death flag on Gung-tea and his clan.
Jan 20, 2015 9:05 PM

Nov 2007
Yet another very good episode. They seemed to have changed from the manga chronology but it's okay. I really like the adaptation so far. :)

I just hope we don't get an anime only ending. Hopefully a sequel will be made, it has been forever since I had a shoujo anime with admirable animation quality. Fifteen episodes in, they maintained quite high level of animation.

I like the previous OP better. But I think I will get used to it eventually, it's just the swing is too big, from traditional to techno with pop. I like Yona's faces in the OP. I think the change in OP will go well with the Yona we will see in the coming episodes, from a traditional princess oblivious to the world, to a girl determined to rewrite her fate. :)

The ED is catchy, the chorus part. :)
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Jan 20, 2015 9:12 PM

Jan 2013
This new OP bothers me
Jan 20, 2015 9:24 PM

Apr 2013
I liked that the new OP was ragey but the new ED was not to my liking. I loved the Yona part of this episode (especially when Hak was defending the previous King) but the Su-Won half nearly put me to sleep.
Jan 21, 2015 12:02 AM

Oct 2013
The new OP is good; I like it, but... it does not fit the setting of the series at all. This is almost as bad as the German OPs for InuYasha. r____r

The ED, on the other hand, is fantastic and fitting!

I still can't make out what Soo-won's plan is... he's hiding something, obviously, but what? I do not think for a second he's malicious or malevolent; quite the opposite, actually. But I can't at all figure what he's planning to do. Surely he doesn't actually intend to just be just like King Il after going through the effort to... you know, assassinate him.

Man, the scene with Yona and the starving villager was powerful. The theme of exploring the reign of a terrible king through his heir's perspective is new for me, and I quite like the way it was executed here.

Discord: the.path.to.pathos
RateYourMusic
last.fm
Jan 21, 2015 12:08 AM

Nov 2011
New OP is meh, kinda wasted ep imo :/

Join the MSP Club for an in-depth look at score progressions and other stats of currently airing anime
Jan 21, 2015 12:55 AM

Dec 2013
Yay to the new OP. I don't love it or hate it but it's alright. Geun-tea is awesome. I really want to know more about Il and Kouka Kingdom's history. When Yona cried ;u; in the OP when they reveal the other Dragons it's pretty obvious what their personality will be like lol.
Jan 21, 2015 1:50 AM

Nov 2014
I don't know how to feel about Su-Won. I mean I hate hime for every he did to the king and Yona, but then he is also right, the king should defend his country rather than giving it up for the sake of -fake- peace?
Having poor and helpless villages isn't it just an evidence of the bad leader?

If Su-Won does what he says he would do, and with his quite and relaxing -and powerful- personality I think he would be better than IL, but then I think he won't do what he promised without causing more damages to the innocent people?!

Slow episode with no many interesting scenes, but I am looking forward to what will happen next.
Jan 21, 2015 1:59 AM

May 2013
No problem with the OP whatsoever. I did like the first one a little bit.
The episode felt weak imo. Su-won holding a war game to rid his kingdom and his generals of boredom.
Still waiting for the next Dragon to be introduced.
Jan 21, 2015 3:07 AM

Dec 2012
I thought Su-won, was great this episode. He plans to hold a war game in order to remind the citizens of his kingdom of the past glory of the generals.

Though what he did to King Il was terrible, it is obvious that he sincerely wants to restore his kingdom to its former glory and I think he will definitely be a better king than Il.
Jan 21, 2015 3:19 AM

Nov 2014
I like the music for the OP but it seems a little weird in the context of the anime. The added animations for the OP are nice. I think I like the old ED animations better, but I do like the new ED song. I think the focus of attention shifted at just the right time because i was getting a little tired of seeing Yona's group in chibi mode, and it started feeling a bit repetitive. Also, it was just nice to see Soo-won. Oh man, I'm so excited for next week's war games. I'm guessing Soo-won is just putting up a "King Il" facade and he's probably going to own all the generals in the war games, after they tire one another out. On a separate not, Sinha is really really cute. I felt so bad for Yona when she was crying, but I also feel like King Il was just not a good king.
Jan 21, 2015 3:44 AM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
For some reason when that new OP started, I bursted into laughter. It’s just waaaay too different from the first one that I was not expecting this at all. Not to mention, it doesn’t go too well with the visuals either, considering they kept most of the same stuff and only added in some new animation (that last part though with Yona shooting at “us”). I don’t dislike the song, it’s actually pretty catchy, but sorry it doesn’t fit with my Akatsuki no Yona :( Who chose that song...at least Shikata Akiko didn’t disappoint with the new ED, she makes some good fusion songs (I think I heard pipa/biwa and erhu/kokyu related instrument) and her style is really unique. The new ED is more fitting with AnY and would fit better as the new OP imo, but oh well.

As for the episode, I teared up when Yona heard what the old man said about her father. It’s hard to listen to others’ negative opinions about someone she loved, and it further shows that she didn’t know anything at all. She was strong for staying and listening to the man. And Hak’s words moved Yona, as he acknowledged King Il as someone he respected (even if King Il wasn’t the best king).

Incoming rant on Soo-won
/rant

Hmm well judging from the posts so far, maybe it'll take one more episode for opinions to change a little.
Jan 21, 2015 3:56 AM

Oct 2008
Su-won is manipulative, two-faced and overall a jerk, but Il was a bit shitty of a king and no kingdom can survive without conflict; you have to protect your people with weapons most of the time. There's bad examples like the fire's territory though, they pretty much only spend their money with the army.

>User since 2008
Please god help me quit this website.

Such great community that doesn't even know how demographics work, AND gives """detailed"""" reviews after first episodes.

Jan 21, 2015 3:57 AM

Jun 2014
So Yona's father was a bad leader after all. I wonder if we'll get to know more about him, I believe what that man said about the King not protecting his people but I'm sure he had reasons not to do so.

I'd love to know Su-won's inner monologues, I don't know what to think about him although this episode suggested he truly liked Hak. I love this Geun-tea dude.

Good episode, now get rid off the comedy moments. I wish the Geun-tea/Su-won discussion had a more serious tone.
Jan 21, 2015 4:07 AM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
bekeru said:

Hmm??? Where did you read up until? I've read up to ch.101 but I don't remember this. Then again, I might've been lazy reading some parts since my Chinese reading skills aren't perfect and I'm too lazy to translate words I don't know. But okay what you said makes sense then, but aside from killing King Il, I don't see how he's much of a jerk :P I also wouldn't say he's manipulative because of the negative connotation, he just seems really good at making things work out...except when Yona saw him kill her father.
Jan 21, 2015 4:12 AM

May 2013
Op > Ed

Why? Its because of the animation, it felt too recycled and repetitive which disappoints me but the song was good (considering the next arc). Ed was waaaay better than the first.

But welp, although they swapped Volume's 7 and 8, its not bad, because of Soo-won ;)
The world shall know the truth soon.
Jan 21, 2015 4:15 AM

May 2013
tingy said:
bekeru said:

Hmm??? Where did you read up until? I've read up to ch.101 but I don't remember this. Then again, I might've been lazy reading some parts since my Chinese reading skills aren't perfect and I'm too lazy to translate words I don't know. But okay what you said makes sense then, but aside from killing King Il, I don't see how he's much of a jerk :P I also wouldn't say he's manipulative because of the negative connotation, he just seems really good at making things work out...except when Yona saw him kill her father.

Episode 8, if I remember correctly, it was an anime original.
Jan 21, 2015 4:17 AM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
SweetCoconut said:

Oh lol. Dang I must have terrible memory. How could I forget even a detail in my favorite anime of last season (and this season). I am disappointed in myself. Thank you for you answer though.
Jan 21, 2015 4:18 AM

May 2013
tingy said:
SweetCoconut said:

Oh lol. Dang I must have terrible memory. How could I forget even a detail in my favorite anime of last season (and this season). I am disappointed in myself. Thank you for you answer though.

No prob hehe
Jan 21, 2015 4:34 AM

Feb 2012
Damn they should have not changed that OP, while the new ED is much better then the last one.

Su-won I see you planning from the shadows as always, stay like that.

Looking forward to see the game they will play animated next week.
Jan 21, 2015 5:34 AM

Jan 2014
I'd totally forgotten about Su-won. O___o
Daayuuum, I was looking forward to seeing
the Green Dragon cuz he seems hawt. Grrr..
Jan 21, 2015 5:53 AM

Oct 2013
Nice episode. Just realized how awful and ridiculous King II really was. Yona will have to accept the truth about her father, though.

Soo-won is obviously trying to hide his true intelligence by acting all cute and innocent. It's kinda creepy.
Jan 21, 2015 6:19 AM

Sep 2012
New OP is garbage, but the new ED is fucking awesome.
I'm grateful for this episode, the formulaic looking-for-dragons episodes were getting dull, this one was much nicer.
Jan 21, 2015 7:08 AM
Jul 2018
Good new opening and new ending.

Poor Yona was crying about what that male villager said about her father!
Jan 21, 2015 7:54 AM

May 2013
Wow, very unlikely new OP! Eh, it's not bad, wish they hadn't recycled bits but it's a nice change of pace I suppose. I'm really gonna miss the first one though, fits the anime more imo.

Hmm uncomfortable encounter there. Reminds me of the tragedy of Yona's situation.

Been a while Suwon. Whelp, no changes xD On a side note, his face shape's a bit strange. Also, if my ears don't deceive me, pretty sure I heard a few sound effects from a common, free sfx pack.

Like general, like servant.

Wonderful ED.

Hmph, possibly no plot development next episode.
Jan 21, 2015 8:28 AM

Jan 2013
What's with Su-won? He's pretending to be all nice and stuff. Even if he wants to restore the kingdom, fuck that guy.
Jan 21, 2015 8:49 AM

Aug 2013
Wow, that new OP certainly was... interesting, I guess? It's not that it was bad, it's just that this show is a historical fantasy shoujo and, hum, let's just say that it didn't fit... Also, I did like the first OP :/

Anyway, the real subject here is the episode and not the OP. So we got to see Yona in a more vulnerable state since she got stronger, her biggest weakness, her father himself. It was sad when one of the boys said that ''he will only be remembered as a stupid king''.

On Soo-Won part, well let's say that he seem to have a bit of difficulties to get people on his side, and that is primordial as a king... Of course, from the preview, he seem to have a plan, but he shouldn't play too much with fire.
«Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.»
- Kurisu Makise a.k.a. The Zombie
Jan 21, 2015 9:08 AM
Nov 2014
The new OP is good, but it can't compare with the first.
Jan 21, 2015 9:09 AM

Sep 2008
They made a big mistake...
They shouldn't change OP theme...
Also isn't new OP have only few new scenes?

I wish they would keep old OP and leave new ED
since ending is pretty cool :D
Jan 21, 2015 9:31 AM

Feb 2014
EWW that new OP. It sounded like something from DDR (which isn’t necessarily a bad thing), but it totally doesn't fit with the show. The Ed was good, I guess

Not a bad episode. Although this Earth tribe stuff seems like filler...Su-Won probably has ulterior motives. But Gun-Tae is a pretty cool guy!

Wait so Yun was like: “Princess, don’t go near that man otherwise you could get sick” and yet went up to him himself, even though if it’s an airborne sickness she’d get it too...lolwut.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 21, 2015 9:47 AM

Dec 2014
New OP is so cringeworthy

the general guy seems very like a very likeable character though
Jan 21, 2015 9:54 AM

Apr 2013
Meh, I liked the old OP more. It was nice and calm and worked well for the atmosphere of the show. But yeah, new ED on the other side is better than the old one^^

Good to see more perspectives on King Il and Su-Won, it shows that not everything is black and white. King Il seemed to be a good person but a weak king, and Su-Won may have been actually motivated for good reasons and not power and greed alone. And this throws a different light on the heroine's party, despite their good intentions it may be better not to throw down Su-Won, which ultimately will be their goal I'm sure.
Jan 21, 2015 9:56 AM

Apr 2014
Anyone watched the version where the subtitles says Geun Tae's name as Geun Tea? It bothers me. Urgh.

I didn't really like this episode though. I skimmed through it when I read that chapter in the manga. Suwon's flower boy moment was hilarious though.

The new ED is beautiful. I'm going to keep the video playing after I finish each episode.
Jan 21, 2015 10:15 AM

Jan 2012
I quite liked this ep :) Sun-Won is a weird character... Anyway it was actually nice seeing less of Yona... not fond of her at all

I also liked the ED :D This kind of song remind me of Umineko...
Jan 21, 2015 12:06 PM

Apr 2010
Geun-tea is awesome. I just don't know if I should like or dislike Su-won. I hate that I love him so.
Jan 21, 2015 12:16 PM

Jun 2014
I really like the new OP, doesnt fit the series all that well, but it may be a sign that things are going to be picking up the pace soon. New Ed is pretty good too, love the new art for it.
I have to say i am really much more interested in Yona and her crew then Su-won and his. I want to see more of the country and the people!
Be sure to message me if you quoted me and want me to respond! Just give me a link to the forum, because usually I leave my comment, then leave the forum.
Jan 21, 2015 1:44 PM

Feb 2009
I liked the first OP better but this one is nice too. Really liked the ending. And also feeling like this episode was slow building because I can't quite figure out what Su-won is really planning and it's frustrating me, haha. I wanna meet the next dragon!

Jan 21, 2015 1:47 PM

Mar 2013
Well.. An episode with Su-won in it XD. I've read this manga but looks like they skipped the important part first and went into the story with Su-won that happen after that "important part" (not going to spoil the manga but i bet many people here knew what i mean XD) I like the -kind of- rivalry relationship between Ju-do and Gun-Tae XD

This week episode make me feel this anime will not gonna be last long. I mean i think they will end this after they meet the last member of the four dragon knights :v

the ED is simple but beautiful and also fit the ED animation but i dont have the same opinion with the OP.
Jan 21, 2015 3:18 PM

Aug 2008
I prefer the first OP but I really like this ED.

Somehow, I can't dislike Su won. Not because he is not entirely evil, more because of his voice actor. Next episode, he seems to be super badass, I can't wait for that! And I really want to know the real reason behing Yona's father deep determination to not have any war to keep their previous status! ><
Jan 21, 2015 4:33 PM

May 2014
The first episode was awesome. After that the series has turned, every next episode more than the last one, to something very different than I was hoping for.

I'll give the series this one more chance at ep16.

Nothing bad in the series as a whole, but nothing really awesome either.
Jan 21, 2015 6:04 PM
Jul 2014
Lyrisia said:

I also liked the ED :D This kind of song remind me of Umineko...

I think Akiko Shikata also sang the opening song for Umineko.
New opening really doesnt fit, but its not bad as a song. I like the new ed just as much as the old one.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Akatsuki no Yona Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 24, 2015

374 by perseii »»
Apr 8, 10:45 PM

Poll: » Akatsuki no Yona Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Dec 23, 2014

138 by Seraschi »»
Apr 6, 1:42 PM

Poll: » should i keep watching????

Tamar5858 - Jul 31, 2022

20 by BiobulletM »»
Apr 3, 2:21 PM

Poll: » Akatsuki no Yona Episode 19 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

tsubasalover - Feb 17, 2015

146 by nyaasar »»
Mar 21, 1:00 PM

Poll: » Akatsuki no Yona Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 17, 2015

148 by WolfWood37 »»
Feb 9, 1:14 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.