Forum Settings
Forums

Japanese or Korean/Chinese title for manwha/manhua

New
Jan 18, 2015 9:29 AM
Oct 2013
I couldn't find it in the guidelines, so I ask here:

Which title should be used as the main title for an entry of a manwha or manhua?
The original (so the Korean/Chinese name) or the Japanese?
Jan 27, 2015 5:39 AM

May 2008
It's not in the guidelines, because no one knows (knew) Korean/Chinese romanization standards enough to write them. And no one was kind enough to help us write them either...

So, either one is fine for main title, be it English or romanized version; or whichever is being used by scanlators.
Jan 30, 2015 3:24 PM
Oct 2013
svaax said:
So, either one is fine for main title, be it English or romanized version; or whichever is being used by scanlators.
So the Japanese title will never be used? And will it be appreciated if I submit a bunch of name changes to the original title, since a lot of manhwa/manhua are in English?

For romanization: why not just use the most popular romanization, so RR (revised) for Korean and Pinyin for Chinese?
And in a similar vain, I find the romanization of 만화 to manwha very odd. Instead manhwa is better and also much more common.
Jan 30, 2015 3:41 PM
Mar 2011
no do not use pinyin for Chinese is a butchered form of romaniaztion use wade if any thing pinyin is best used for simpfied only if its a title that is on traditional or the scpit mao tied to kill off
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Jan 30, 2015 5:25 PM
Oct 2013
FGAU1912 said:
no do not use pinyin for Chinese is a butchered form of romaniaztion use wade if any thing pinyin is best used for simpfied only if its a title that is on traditional or the scpit mao tied to kill off

I don't know Chinese, but after a quick research I found out that Pinyin is the official romanization (in both China/Taiwan/Singapur as well as the West,...), their form of furigana and the most popular romanization for learners. All the other types of Chinese romanization have barely any meaning nowadays.

Also, it's better to use only one romanization instead of an additional one just for manhua in traditional Chinese.
Feb 11, 2015 4:29 PM
Oct 2013
Qonell said:
And will it be appreciated if I submit a bunch of name changes to the original title, since a lot of manhwa/manhua are in English?

Since no moderator has answered yet, I re-ask this question.

I mean titles like this, this and this.
I know svaax already answered with "either one is fine", but will a change to the original title get denied when I submit one?

More topics from this board

Sticky: » Manga DB - Post Genre/Theme Requests Here ( 1 2 3 )

Kineta - Mar 28, 2022

131 by nerfsunny »»
6 hours ago

Sticky: » Manga DB - Post Modifications/Duplicates Here ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Aarana - Jan 4, 2009

7686 by Barbaduk »»
Apr 23, 11:45 PM

» Surprising Manga Still Needs Approval

Uutama - Apr 19

0 by Uutama »»
Apr 19, 1:01 AM

» TO THE ADMINISTRATORS OF MAL! BIBLIOMANIA!

carhs14 - Aug 12, 2023

11 by jere344 »»
Apr 18, 7:52 PM

» Pending approval items

Marrzo - Apr 17

0 by Marrzo »»
Apr 17, 12:20 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.