Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Your Lie in April
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (8) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Jan 15, 2015 2:15 PM
Jul 2013
So did he FINALLY hear the notes?
What the fuck?? Why is Kaori in the hospital?? Omg please don't die!! :O
Jan 15, 2015 2:16 PM

Jan 2014
The last line was such a tearjerker ;_;
Jan 15, 2015 2:17 PM

Aug 2014
It's sad thinking about he maybe needs loose someone else to grown up...
Maloween 2017
Main Candies
Jan 15, 2015 2:19 PM

Mar 2012
This anime is so emotional... Damn, I love it.

Sometimes it's so sad that it makes me want to cry :/

Nice ending. Is it the same? I only noticed it today ._.
Jan 15, 2015 2:20 PM

Aug 2013
Fatma94 said:
Smudy said:

It's my favourite part in the manga, this just made me worried.

May I ask why you found it disappointing? I thought they did a great job adapting it after the disappointing previous episode. They added all the important flashbacks. They didn't drag out his performance, and they let us know what happened to Kaori.

OT : Mad props to Hanae Natsuki for his stellar voice acting.

Jan 15, 2015 2:22 PM

May 2011
Oooh, I heard that this story is going to be a sad ending. I'm excited.
Jan 15, 2015 2:25 PM

Aug 2014
That was extremely powerful. This anime just keeps delivering. I'm simultaneously dreading and waiting impatiently for next week.
Be like this seal. It is a happy seal.
~Review Guidelines~ | ~Recommendation Guidelines~ | ~Mafia Society~
Jan 15, 2015 2:33 PM

Aug 2013
Fatma94 said:

Jan 15, 2015 2:39 PM

Jan 2010
An anime that is not the key that made ​​me cry , that in episode 13 only , I think it will become one of my favorites if progress continues at this rate , it is so much poetry mixed with classical music each episode leaves me hooked , there's no way have a lower score than 8. I just hope take a lapse of some years as Nagi in Asukara , want to see the Arima at least at the university.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the
Jan 15, 2015 2:45 PM
Jul 2018
Kousei did a good job on his performance.

The little boy played well with his violin.
Jan 15, 2015 2:48 PM

Dec 2011
Oh the feels this episode. But I sure am glad Kousei has moved on.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 15, 2015 2:53 PM

Jan 2013
I loved the introduction, before the OP.
Great episode, almost the entire half covered by the piano music and all those monologues, simply great.
And the kid managed to do well too. And she's alive!

Feb 2014
Mirianime said:
So did he FINALLY hear the notes?

No, but he realized he doesn't need to hear them because he already knows how it sounds like according to his own technique.

Jun 2010
Gat damn son, this kid's a genius. no practice and he plays like a boss.

but the feels though, didn't feel the song but the emotions were felt
<--- Who Your Waifus Look Up To --->
Jan 15, 2015 2:55 PM
Mar 2013
A little off topic, but I'd like to know how often are speechless performances given in music? I mean in the literal sense, a performance so beautiful (not from shock or horror) that every being in the audience is left in some ethereal trance (like we see in this episode). I guess at more somber events with music playing (funerals? memorials?) it could happen, but I want see this kind of reaction from a live performance given for the sake of purely making music. Every performance I've been to, no matter how amazing, has been met with applause. Never have I seen a reaction like the crowd gives to Arima's music in this episode. Of course this kind of reaction is easy to fabricate in an anime or if staged in a movie/show. I mean a genuine reaction like this. Would love to hear if anyone else has.
Jan 15, 2015 3:00 PM

Feb 2014
Cincib0i said:
A little off topic, but I'd like to know how often are speechless performances given in music? I mean in the literal sense, a performance so beautiful (not from shock or horror) that every being in the audience is left in some ethereal trance (like we see in this episode). I guess at more somber events with music playing (funerals? memorials?) it could happen, but I want see this kind of reaction from a live performance given for the sake of purely making music. Every performance I've been to, no matter how amazing, has been met with applause. Never have I seen a reaction like the crowd gives to Arima's music in this episode. Of course this kind of reaction is easy to fabricate in an anime or if staged in a movie/show. I mean a genuine reaction like this. Would love to hear if anyone else has.

Haven't seen any speechless performances so far, since applause is a formal approach to receive a musician after a performance. (specially in serious environments), but I do know that french people will have negative reactions if they dislike it, like leaving in the middle or calling it crap.

What we see in the anime is that the audience doesn't know exactly how to react to Arima, if they actually like it or dislike. Notice that he varies from a sloppy play to a smooth, accurate and precise style, and the same people that cringed from the raw notes change the mood once Kousei's body receive enough "heat".
surfboard_Jan 15, 2015 3:06 PM
Jan 15, 2015 3:03 PM

Dec 2011
Ah, we start off with more of Kousei's childhood memories and holy crap... we got to see the face of his mother :o!

Dat Hiro-chan song doe and the genius Kousei learned it so fast :o

Damn, although I feel sorry for Kaori not being able to arrive since something bad probably happened to her, I'm a little bit happy that this Kousei's chance to show that he's back in the game.

Honestly... what's wrong with the lil kids and their faces in this series lol...

This time around he remembered some pleasant memories of his mother to help him T.T

Dem feelings doe T.T

Now I really realize what would if Kousei lost Kaori as well...

LOL, dat headbutt doe XD.

So epic... so many feelings... so many tears T.T

Will that window be forever broken and not replaced lol...

Holy crap... and what I've said about Kousei losing someone again was even in the episode lol... and Kaori really was in the hospital T.T
"Let justice be done, though the heavens fall."
Jan 15, 2015 3:11 PM
Mar 2013
surfboard_ said:
Cincib0i said:

Haven't seen any speechless performances so far, since applause is a formal approach to receive a musician after a performance. (specially in serious environments), but I do know that french people will have negative reactions if they dislike it, like leaving in the middle or calling it crap.

I know that applause is the formal way to receive a musician after a great performance. I want to experience a performance so transcendent that every being in the audience forgets all sense of formality, and is just left in a lengthy period of awe from the sheer beauty of the performance. Then finally, after a good while, someone remembers to clap.
Jan 15, 2015 3:11 PM

Feb 2014
VanishingKira said:
Arima might lose someone again...blah blah blah another deathflag for Kaori.

Honestly even if she dies now it still won't save this show.

Only good thing that happened this episode is that Amira finally got over his mother situation...only took 13 episodes.

Yeah.. Haha.. So easy to get over your mothers death. ^^

OT:

I shed manly tears over this episode, I have not read the manga, but I loved the dialogue and music... I feel like this is how the original creator intented it to be like.

5/5
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 15, 2015 3:15 PM

Sep 2013
Wow, I think I almost cried lol. This anime might make me cry, I have a feeling it will. This episode made my eyes water, but I'm not sure if you can consider it crying? :p

Great writing though! 5/5

Jan 15, 2015 3:23 PM

Jan 2014
Oh no! Kaori!
Jan 15, 2015 3:26 PM

Apr 2010
Jan 15, 2015 3:27 PM

Mar 2013
surfboard_ said:
Cincib0i said:

What we see in the anime is that the audience doesn't know exactly how to react to Arima, if they actually like it or dislike. Notice that he varies from a sloppy play to a smooth, accurate and precise style, and the same people that cringed from the raw notes change the mood once Kousei's body receive enough "heat".

Really ? French people leave during a performance ? I've personnally never seen that, and be as it may, I'm french soooo.
Anyways, I agree with you on the point that the audience probably doesn't know how to react to Arima's performance, especially when he's changing his play unexpectedly every 3 minutes.
Jan 15, 2015 3:33 PM

Jul 2012
Before they showed the hospital screen I already had that feeling, Kaori is there :O
Tom's Hardware graphics veteran++ (Legacy)
i7 6700K@4.0 GHz, ASUS Z170 PRO GAMING, RTX 2080, G. Skill RipJaws V 3200MHz 16GB,
Noctua NH-D15, CorsairRM 850x, Win10x64, 1920x1080

MyAnimeList!
Jan 15, 2015 3:40 PM

Feb 2014
Cincib0i said:
I know that applause is the formal way to receive a musician after a great performance. I want to experience a performance so transcendent that every being in the audience forgets all sense of formality, and is just left in a lengthy period of awe from the sheer beauty of the performance. Then finally, after a good while, someone remembers to clap.

Actually I had a similar reaction, over an instrumental rock group. They were so concentrated and focused while playing that when they finished their opening composition nobody knew how to react, but applauses came once one of the members started to speak about the group (well, i still think that i stood still because i didn't knew if they really finished playing or not, they were in it for 20 straight minutes or so). But still, ocasions like that are really hard to happen, and if what you're seeking is the transcendent feeling of it rather than the speechless audience you should use psychedelic substances.

AidoWand said:
Really ? French people leave during a performance ? I've personnally never seen that, and be as it may, I'm french soooo.

Thats what cinema and friends living in France told me.
surfboard_Jan 15, 2015 3:45 PM
Jan 15, 2015 3:45 PM

Aug 2014
I feel bad for reading the manga... I didn't get to cry this episode. ;——;
Jan 15, 2015 4:01 PM

Jun 2012
If Kaori dies, I won't be surprised, if she doesn't, I won't either. So, I hope the ending surprises me.

This episode just made me raise my overall note on the anime. So much feelings. 5/5
Jan 15, 2015 4:05 PM

Apr 2013
Very emotional episode
The death flags are stronger than ever
I was hoping Kaori to make a surprise appearance with her violin in hand
Jan 15, 2015 4:15 PM
Mar 2011
This series has been a nonstop train of sad since about episode 8. That said, it's really really good. If Kaori passes, hopefully he is able to realize all the people he is important to, including old rivals, the audience, and so on.

I'm getting similar vibes from this series as something else I didn't really expect. If anyone has seen Hikaru no Go you might know what I'm talking about, especially if this goes the "sorrowful" route.
Jan 15, 2015 4:17 PM

Sep 2013
i love how we get to see kousei grow so much

Jan 15, 2015 4:19 PM

Jan 2009
this reminds me of "A Walk to Remember"

8/10
俺の命を百合に。
Currently translating Sono Hanabira ni Kuchizuke o - Atelier no Koibito-tachi -- when bored.
Above visual novel is 22.22% translated with progress uploaded to youtube; if you're into yuri VNs, check out my channel.
Jan 15, 2015 4:42 PM

Oct 2012
Even if I had seen it coming, the feels hit me strong T_T
Jan 15, 2015 4:42 PM

Dec 2013
This.Is.Godly.

5/5.
"No one knows what the future holds. That's why its potential is infinite.” - Okabe Rintarou

"El Psy Congroo."

Kirino Kyousake Picture
Jan 15, 2015 5:14 PM

Jun 2013
Ahh so many feels, every time Kousei plays the piano his mother is always watching. I feel as though Kousei is going to lose someone else.
Jan 15, 2015 5:24 PM
Dec 2013
Cincib0i said:

I think part of it is depends on the type of crowd and location... The first audition of Susan Boyle and Paul Potts in British got talent definitely can gave this kind of reaction.
Jan 15, 2015 5:34 PM

May 2010
The first 20 seconds > entire episode lol. I am starting to like this Hiroshi-san more than everyone else.

If Kaori is going to die, then die already.
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Jan 15, 2015 5:38 PM

Jul 2014
Honestly one of the best animes i have ever watched
Shirayuki= Most Perfect Female MC ever
Jan 15, 2015 5:49 PM
Aug 2014
Well it took nearly ten episodes, but I can finally say that I like this anime. It was pretty easy to guess the mother's reason for being harsh, when they showed her reluctance to let Kousei become a musician in the first place.
Jan 15, 2015 5:51 PM

Nov 2011
I'm looking at this episode discussion topic, and I'm sad. I'm truly saddened. I see maybe one other person here who understands.

That was disgusting... appalling even. I too marvel at this episode, not out of admiration or praise, but out of contempt. How truly ignorant and disgraceful, or otherwise offensive, this is. I'm not sure it would be quite correct, if it would fully encapsulate my meaning, if I were to say that that was the "worst" thing I've ever watched, because it did what it did wrong so brilliantly. The irony is too great. The directing is good; the thematic progression is good; the characters are "good"...

Yet, the core of this story is rotten. This episode captured everything about the story that makes it both so likeable and so contemptible. It's the perfect episode to expound upon.

Perhaps you're reading this, and you don't know what I'm going on about. Or if you do know, you might think I'm taking this too seriously. However, dear reader, this is serious. It is wholly connected to the essence of this story and its message. It is simply wrong, and issue does need to be raised. Someone does need to cry foul. This is not how the world works, no matter how picturesque or pretty it may be to pretend it does.

However, I will refrain from dropping the bomb for now and illustrate my point first. I want you to look at the relationship between Kousei and his mother, Saki. Really think about it as you read this post. Her death and its consequences is what the entire thematic progression of the story is concerned with. Thus, I think it's fair to say this point is the most important part of the story.

Now, what sort of relationship did Saki and Kousei share before his death? Surely enough, she is portrayed as a loving mother, and Kousei is portrayed as a loving son. The sweet memories of Kousei sleeping under Saki's piano are nice. Who would say they aren't? Kousei and his mother liked the piano. However, something happened to Saki. She contracted an illness. This, understandably, sucks, but it's not always something one can help. So, Saki is going to die. What does she do?

Please think realistically here. This story is taking itself seriously, so there's no reason not to.

She constrains Kousei to the piano. Granted, this is something he liked at first, but it extends beyond his desires. Kousei is a child; he wants to play with his friends and do other things children like to do. Yet, his mother places a great deal of pressure and verbal harshness upon him for her own desires. She forces her own will upon him. It is, figuratively, "violence", a forcing of her own will upon another. This has nothing to do with properly raising a child. She is abusing her authority and role in Kousei's life. It's not right.

It doesn't stop at words either. Something critical was shown some episodes ago. Saki hit Kousei. She physically hit him and drew blood. (I will for the moment ignore how horribly the comedy juxtaposes in light of this scene.) This is literal violence. This is abuse.

Do you deny that it is abuse? Amuse me with a reply if you do.

Of the many things I hate, that I cannot stomach or abide, it is evil that presents itself as something good. Or, worded differently, evil that tries to justify itself. Abuse and violence are not okay. PERIOD. The story says that Saki was doing this for Kousei's own good, out of love. Reality says that Saki was doing it out of frustration and resentment, for the sake of rebellion. Saki was taking her anger against the world out on Kousei, and it wasn't and isn't right, okay, or justifiable. Despite this, this story wants us, the viewers, to sympathize with her, to think that she wasn't really a bad person. She was "just" in a bad situation.

In truth, bad situations are what reveal a person's true character, for better or worse. Saki's sentiments may have been understandable, but her actions were far from good. In the end, at her core, she cared about herself and her own lost desires more than she cared about her son. It is a bona fide abusive relationship, yet this story tries to portray it as something beautiful or admirable. It is a wonder to me how so many can overlook this.

This is the sort of stuff that leaves people scarred for life. Kousei was and is a child. Children and sometimes even adults don't understand the nature of abusive relationships or how it affects the abused. This is why Kousei blames himself for his mother's bitterness before her death. This is a very realistic reaction. However, for him to overcome his guilt without addressing it, without understanding it, without any real reason to suddenly be better, that is unrealistic and unbelievable. It's wrong. It belittles his condition.

This story is framing abuse as something okay. Something good. Something loving.

Because of that, I hope someone out there can see why I would be so disgusted, so appalled, so offended by this narrative. I've excluded other missteps related to the overall framing problem, but I think the above encapsulates my point rather well, so with that I conclude.
Jan 15, 2015 6:07 PM

Jun 2007
burningfire52 said:
The death flags are stronger than ever

"This girl is so dead."

Signed, that horror movie character that escapes to the basement, the police officer character on his last day before retirement, and every character who ever said "I'll be right back!"
Jan 15, 2015 6:20 PM

Jul 2012
The episode was generally very good and emotive but even though I understand the reason, Kousei's constant inner monologues are starting to annoy me...
"In the past few months since we met, I've shared many memories with Nagato. Though I've also shared memories with Haruhi, Asahina-san and Koizumi, I found that I've experienced more events with Nagato in particular. In fact, every situation seems to involve her. I might as well mention this, she's probably the only person to cause the bell within me to shake the most vigorously..." ~ Kyon, TMOSH
Jan 15, 2015 6:30 PM

Sep 2010
These people who gave this anime a 4 or below I swear...
Either
1. They have high expectations.
2. Still hate the mom and don't understand her situation.
Or 3. Very nitpicky manga readers that see a small flaw and didn't get the experience they wanted while everyone else is crying from feels.

This is one of the best Animes I've ever watched. Each episode is a roller coaster of emotions and development not wasting any moment while still adding in soft humor to lighten the atmosphere.
Aug 2014
Ah~ I'm so glad about Kousei's character development! He finally got over his mom =o=;

(and his mom wasn't actually that bad phew)

I'm really concerned about Kaori, I hope nothing happens to her later 0n0

Feb 2014
TripleSRank said:
I'm looking at this episode discussion topic, and I'm sad. I'm truly saddened. I see maybe one other person here who understands.

That was disgusting... appalling even. I too marvel at this episode, not out of admiration or praise, but out of contempt. How truly ignorant and disgraceful, or otherwise offensive, this is. I'm not sure it would be quite correct, if it would fully encapsulate my meaning, if I were to say that that was the "worst" thing I've ever watched, because it did what it did wrong so brilliantly. The irony is too great. The directing is good; the thematic progression is good; the characters are "good"...

Yet, the core of this story is rotten. This episode captured everything about the story that makes it both so likeable and so contemptible. It's the perfect episode to expound upon.

Perhaps you're reading this, and you don't know what I'm going on about. Or if you do know, you might think I'm taking this too seriously. However, dear reader, this is serious. It is wholly connected to the essence of this story and its message. It is simply wrong, and issue does need to be raised. Someone does need to cry foul. This is not how the world works, no matter how picturesque or pretty it may be to pretend it does.

However, I will refrain from dropping the bomb for now and illustrate my point first. I want you to look at the relationship between Kousei and his mother, Saki. Really think about it as you read this post. Her death and its consequences is what the entire thematic progression of the story is concerned with. Thus, I think it's fair to say this point is the most important part of the story.

Now, what sort of relationship did Saki and Kousei share before his death? Surely enough, she is portrayed as a loving mother, and Kousei is portrayed as a loving son. The sweet memories of Kousei sleeping under Saki's piano are nice. Who would say they aren't? Kousei and his mother liked the piano. However, something happened to Saki. She contracted an illness. This, understandably, sucks, but it's not always something one can help. So, Saki is going to die. What does she do?

Please think realistically here. This story is taking itself seriously, so there's no reason not to.

She constrains Kousei to the piano. Granted, this is something he liked at first, but it extends beyond his desires. Kousei is a child; he wants to play with his friends and do other things children like to do. Yet, his mother places a great deal of pressure and verbal harshness upon him for her own desires. She forces her own will upon him. It is, figuratively, "violence", a forcing of her own will upon another. This has nothing to do with properly raising a child. She is abusing her authority and role in Kousei's life. It's not right.

It doesn't stop at words either. Something critical was shown some episodes ago. Saki hit Kousei. She physically hit him and drew blood. (I will for the moment ignore how horribly the comedy juxtaposes in light of this scene.) This is literal violence. This is abuse.

Of the many things I hate, that I cannot stomach or abide, it is evil that presents itself as something good. Or, worded differently, evil that tries to justify itself. Abuse and violence are not okay. PERIOD. The story says that Saki was doing this for Kousei's own good, out of love. Reality says that Saki was doing it out of frustration and resentment, for the sake of rebellion. Saki was taking her anger against the world out on Kousei, and it wasn't and isn't right, okay, or justifiable. Despite this, this story wants us, the viewers, to sympathize with her, to think that she wasn't really a bad person. She was "just" in a bad situation.

In truth, bad situations are what reveal a person's true character, for better or worse. Saki's sentiments may have been understandable, but her actions were far from good. In the end, at her core, she cared about herself and her own lost desires more than she cared about her son. It is a bona fide abusive relationship, yet this story tries to portray it as something beautiful or admirable. It is a wonder to me how so many can overlook this.

This is the sort of stuff that leaves people scarred for life. Kousei was and is a child. Children and sometimes even adults don't understand the nature of abusive relationships or how it affects the abused. This is why Kousei blames himself for his mother's bitterness before her death. This is a very realistic reaction. However, for him to overcome his guilt without addressing it, without understanding it, without any real reason to suddenly be better, that is unrealistic and unbelievable. It's wrong. It belittles his condition.

This story is framing abuse as something okay. Something good. Something loving.

Because of that, I hope someone out there can see why I would be so disgusted, so appalled, so offended by this narrative. I've excluded other missteps related to the overall framing problem, but I think the above encapsulates my point rather well, so with that I conclude.

TripleSRank said:
The directing is good

Your frustration is right here: the director isn't good, he is a pile of shit, devoid of any talent.
On the other hand, it was Saki that said that all she did was for Kousei's own good, not the story. Nothing is to be taken 100% literal, if you see her abusing her precious son, be aware that she herself have psychological issues.
Jan 15, 2015 6:35 PM

Apr 2014
Damn. Crazy emotion filling episode with that kind of ending. Oh boy, hopefully I don't have to use more tissues for next week. Please Kaori-chan
Nyaaaria- said:
You really are the king of marathoning

Jan 15, 2015 6:42 PM

Oct 2012
Best episiode yet
Jan 15, 2015 6:49 PM

Nov 2011
firejet said:
These people who gave this anime a 4 or below I swear...
Either
1. They have high expectations.
2. Still hate the mom and don't understand her situation.
Or 3. Very nitpicky manga readers that see a small flaw and didn't get the experience they wanted while everyone else is crying from feels.

This is one of the best Animes I've ever watched. Each episode is a roller coaster of emotions and development not wasting any moment while still adding in soft humor to lighten the atmosphere.

1. It's never wrong to expect a decent story, especially if the story takes itself seriously.
2. Not understanding her situation has nothing to do with it.
3. Idk about them.

surfboard_ said:
TripleSRank said:
The directing is good

Your frustration is right here: the director isn't good, he is a pile of ****, devoid of any talent.
On the other hand, it was Saki that said that all she did was for Kousei's own good, not the story. Nothing is to be taken 100% literal, if you see her abusing her precious son, be aware that she herself have psychological issues.

No, I do mean the directing is good. The emotive scenes and visual imagery are all well suited to Kousei's character. Flashbacks are used "appropriately". So on and so forth.

The story itself has framed Saki in a sympathetic light. As Kousei remembers her in this episode and "overcomes" his past, we are treated to scenes of her talking about how she's (supposedly) doing this for his own good. It's not just that she justified herself, but how that justification is presented to us.

If this is really just bad directing, what is this story actually about, that the directing misleads us from?
Jan 15, 2015 6:53 PM

Nov 2014
this anime is already stuffed to the brim with cliches, but this episode was especially so :P Still the animation is so lovely that I don't mind the cliches too much. I wonder if Kaori will go into some sort of coma later?? I doubt she'll die. This just sort of seems like the type of anime to have a happy ending. It's kind of weird when you think about the characters' actual ages. Like, they're only in middle school, and that one little kid that went after Kousei had thoughts that were way too mature for an elementary-aged kiddo.
Jan 15, 2015 6:55 PM
Oct 2012
surfboard_ said:

Of the many things I hate, that I cannot stomach or abide, it is evil that presents itself as something good. Or, worded differently, evil that tries to justify itself. Abuse and violence are not okay. PERIOD. The story says that Saki was doing this for Kousei's own good, out of love.

Humm, I don't think the lesson of this story is that Saki was right to hit Kousei, even her best friend was appalled at what she did. But there is a difference between "evil" and making a mistake.

Evil is the lack of understanding that one's actions are wrong. It generally requires the act to be repeated to demonstrate this lack of empathy. While Kousei did have some desire to be a kid, they made it perfectly clear that he also wanted to win because he knew his mother didn't have much time (and he enjoyed playing the piano). The motivation was internal. So while Kousei occasionally had some issues with his mother's spartan teaching style, in general he was in agreement with it. He wanted to be the best. So I think calling Saki "evil" is going too far. She got obsessed in pushing Kousei to realize his full talents, but that is something very different than being "evil".

Think of Mozart: his father dragged him and his sister all around Europe as a child in order to make money off of them (and traveling back then was a dangerous activity). Was his father evil? (the Amadeus movie, while amusing had next to nothing of historical merit to it, Mozart got along relatively well with his father).

It really isn't that clear. Tough love from a coach or mentor is generally appreciated by the person after the fact. It is what drives the student to be the best, that which allows them to reach the top of their field. Saki obviously wanted this for Kousei, he wanted it himself, I think she crossed a line, but again that doesn't make her evil.

It's a complicated matrix, and one that can be hashed out later if you want. But there is your response.
Jan 15, 2015 7:05 PM

Nov 2011
Takuan_Soho said:
TripleSRank said:

Of the many things I hate, that I cannot stomach or abide, it is evil that presents itself as something good. Or, worded differently, evil that tries to justify itself. Abuse and violence are not okay. PERIOD. The story says that Saki was doing this for Kousei's own good, out of love.

Humm, I don't think the lesson of this story is that Saki was right to hit Kousei, even her best friend was appalled at what she did. But there is a difference between "evil" and making a mistake.

Evil is the lack of understanding that one's actions are wrong. It generally requires the act to be repeated to demonstrate this lack of empathy. While Kousei did have some desire to be a kid, they made it perfectly clear that he also wanted to win because he knew his mother didn't have much time (and he enjoyed playing the piano). The motivation was internal. So while Kousei occasionally had some issues with his mother's spartan teaching style, in general he was in agreement with it. He wanted to be the best. So I think calling Saki "evil" is going too far. She got obsessed in pushing Kousei to realize his full talents, but that is something very different than being "evil".

Think of Mozart: his father dragged him and his sister all around Europe as a child in order to make money off of them (and traveling back then was a dangerous activity). Was his father evil? (the Amadeus movie, while amusing had next to nothing of historical merit to it, Mozart got along relatively well with his father).

It really isn't that clear. Tough love from a coach or mentor is generally appreciated by the person after the fact. It is what drives the student to be the best, that which allows them to reach the top of their field. Saki obviously wanted this for Kousei, he wanted it himself, I think she crossed a line, but again that doesn't make her evil.

It's a complicated matrix, and one that can be hashed out later if you want. But there is your response.

You didn't really disagree with me (in the sense of me wanting an amusing reply), since you too acknowledge that it was abuse. You're drawing the line at my calling her an evil person. I think most of this post stems from a lack of understanding of how abuse works; it makes the victim feel that they are the one at fault, that the abuser is right. This is even more pronounced with children. So to say Kousei "agreed with her" is a false justification for her actions. You are right that he wanted to please his mother, but that's what makes it so tragic.

Again, I point to the framing/presentation. If we were shown Saki changing and being more loving toward Kousei during this episode (rather than attempting to justify herself), it would have been a lot more palatable. Sure, we could hypothesize that it was a mistake, that she admitted it and apologized, and that she genuinely changed before she died, but the presentation here just doesn't support that.
Pages (8) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 11, 2014

331 by RickHatake »»
Apr 23, 7:07 PM

Poll: » Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jan 8, 2015

243 by Miyakirauhciyama »»
Apr 23, 4:46 AM

» Let me share my experience to re-watching it again

GuyWithoutFear - Apr 13

1 by falko92 »»
Apr 20, 5:27 PM

Poll: » Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Feb 5, 2015

295 by kyledluffy »»
Apr 16, 11:18 PM

Poll: » Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 19, 2015

1174 by LordArmandtrox »»
Apr 16, 9:07 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.