Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 10, 2015 2:25 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Oh wow. Ronja needs to calm down a bit. I mean, she almost just snapped right there. This episode felt pretty serious in the second half and I really hope her family won't be strained like this.

The way her mother was tossed around like that was also uncalled for.
Jan 10, 2015 4:51 PM

Dec 2011
"If I don't get to kill Borka at least..." strike 1
"Who says I've caught a human?" strike 2
Throwing off Lovis like some sack... strike 3

Mattis... Ronja's got enough reasons to call you a beast... >_<

For me, heaviest episode since Ronja got trapped in the snow, but it still has some funny moments (I feel I shouldn't be laughing though) when Ronja was counting how many robbers got home and when Lovis knocked off Knottas with one hit... gosh she's strong... 0_0

Also when Mattis asked Ronja what he did wrong, I thought the quickest answer to that was 'Because he's my brother!' but instead Ronja answered, 'You can't steal people!' which is really admirable, whether she was being honest, or trying to hide that she was meeting Birk in secret, or both.
Jan 12, 2015 1:54 PM
Jul 2018
Poor Birk, he got owned by Mattis like that. Mattis tossed Lovis like that because he don't like her giving his enemy a treatment.

Mattis and his gang went too far on this.
Jan 12, 2015 2:41 PM

Nov 2013
I'm so angry at Mattis!! How can he do that to a child?! And everyone was laughing... O.o

Jan 12, 2015 2:49 PM

Sep 2008
Poor Birk... ;(
Mattis what is wrong with you?
You are grown up man, but you act like little kid -.-

Such heartbraking episode... ;(

Looks like in next episode Ronja will go on Borka's side!
This gonna be good!
Go girl! :D
Jan 12, 2015 3:48 PM

Oct 2013
What a powerful episode!!
Jan 12, 2015 3:51 PM

Jul 2011
shirenz said:
I'm so angry at Mattis!! How can he do that to a child?! And everyone was laughing... O.o

That was cruel! What if that was Ronja, huh!? I wanted someone to call out against hurting a child so badly. But when Ronja called Mattis out on "stealing people", he was the only who who was unsympathetic. At least the others felt surprise or some kind of guilt I think. Lovis was reasonable, and I was hoping she would hit Mattis right there. I'm damn furious at Mattis! He didn't hesitate at all when rejecting Ronja's words!

Ronja really hit me this episode, my tears started gushing at her reaction. Much more powerful than the preview implied. I was half-expecting her to shout that Birk was her brother, but I can see that would have severe consequences.

And next episode, looks like Ronja's going over to the Borkas. She's taking initiative! I don't want to wait until next week. >__<
Jan 12, 2015 4:23 PM

Jul 2010
I really liked how this episode portrayed Ronja's feelings throughout the episode.

From Ronja being unable to sleep from seeing something that hasn't happen before and to see the conflict that is building up. All the "what if" from the past of whether that arrow may had been a fatal one or the near future where bloodshed is bound to occur, I really liked how Ronja counted how many was back.

The music when Birk and Ronja met, it was just really beautiful and possible doubts on if they would ever get to meet again, it was nice to see the strength of their bond and just how it affects more people.

The rather pleasant music and laughs to only see Birk all beaten up. It really was painful to see the usual nice and gentle people being like the barbaric people that only knows violence. Mattis with an unwavering heart to settle this, really felt bad for Ronja on how she cried and being not able to sleep at night. Just imagining the worst case scenarios and coming to see how her dad is acting, it was quite the scene. Wanting to hate yet being unable to is like having a double standard that is inevitably, honestly, the portrayal was great!

The meetup with Ronja jumping over to balance out the trade! Coming to an understanding, pretty excited to see how this conflict settles! I sounded really indifferent from the preview of this episode but this was quite the surprise!
Jan 12, 2015 5:17 PM

Oct 2010
Wow, I really hate Mattis now. It's one thing to fight with someone, but to involve a child and beat him up, oh my god. I hope Birk is alright
Jan 12, 2015 6:28 PM
Oct 2008
Kinda Sucks the Preview last week spoiled this moment for me... but Damn! that Development though, Cant wait for Next Episode
Jan 12, 2015 7:45 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
Ronja is so admirable, she may be a kid, but she has more sense that any of them (aside Lovis of course). Something that she thought was going to be good turned out to be horrific. How could they do that to a child? Really? Beating up a kid is nothing to laugh or be proud about. It's not like it was an accomplishment where you had a difficult time struggling against. As Ronja began speaking about stealing, I thought she would say you can't steal someone's child, but then she said people, which was even better. But goddamn, Mattis's haughty and stubborn expression was just too much. Can't believe he would say that Birk is not a person. Seriously? Idgaf that you got brainwashed, that's just denial right there that you've done nothing wrong because what you beat up wasn't a child but a devil's spawn. Poor Ronja, it's definitely a nightmare to see that people you unconditionally love and have known all your life are capable of doing something so atrocious. I was hoping that she would go to the Borkas, and lo and behold, that preview! Looking forward to what Mattis has to say :) Anyways, I cried so much for Birk and Ronja's suffering ;__; No more pain please.
Jan 12, 2015 8:02 PM
Jul 2014
Quite a powerful episode. Its too heartbreaking to see the two kids suffer like this. Birk and Ronja are much more mature than the adults, its sad to see. And throwing Lovis, wow that's a bit too much. I've lost any respect I had for Mattis right there. Looks like Ronja will jump over to Borka's side in the next episode. Excited to see how it turns out.
Jan 12, 2015 8:34 PM

Jun 2008
I will never forgive Mattis for throwing Lovis. This show was what I watched to cheer myself up but this episode was quite sad. Poor Birk :(

I'm super excited for next week's episode!
Jan 12, 2015 8:51 PM

Sep 2013
What the fuck Mattis, you're an foolish man. Feeling pity for Birk :/

I'm really excited for next episode!!!

Jan 12, 2015 9:58 PM

Jul 2008
I cried so much about Birk and I was surprised the way Mattis treated Lovis. Just what the hell! You don't throw your wife who has stick by and loved you.

Next week should be interesting.
Jan 12, 2015 10:06 PM

Aug 2013
This is the freaking best show of 2014 (besides Mushishi). WTF MATTIS THREW HIS WIFE
Jan 12, 2015 10:11 PM
Oct 2012
I wonder why everyone is so surprised of Mattis, he's shown through the entire show that he's a violent asshole.
Jan 12, 2015 10:17 PM
Mar 2012
Oh damn, Mattis definitely did some uncalled for things. The epitome of a man who gives in to rage and throws logic out of the window.
Jan 12, 2015 10:48 PM

Mar 2009
I still cant figure it out that the story is about drugs... In the documentary about the writer, Astrid Lindgren, she especially wrote Ronja the robbers daughter to focus it about drug use... I need to read the book to analyze it...

And yeah Mattis is a horrible person.... Who hurt a child?
Jan 12, 2015 11:13 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
AmuoOoChan said:
I still cant figure it out that the story is about drugs... In the documentary about the writer, Astrid Lindgren, she especially wrote Ronja the robbers daughter to focus it about drug use... I need to read the book to analyze it...

Huh? Really? That's...quite the interesting info. Tell me if you find the connection if you ever read the book XD
Jan 13, 2015 1:12 AM

Oct 2013
Crap, I was crying so hard by the end. What a heartbreaking episode. Mattis...god, I just lost all my respect for him. How could you do such a thing with a child? And then tossing your wife for doing the right thing.

Seriously, I hope he falls into Hell's Gap.

Next episode is gonna be interesting. Go, Ronja! >:)
AliceInOtakulandJan 13, 2015 6:03 AM
Jan 13, 2015 2:32 AM

Dec 2012
tingy said:
AmuoOoChan said:

Huh? Really? That's...quite the interesting info. Tell me if you find the connection if you ever read the book XD

I've read the book and I really can't see the drug connection O.O
I've never heard that it's supposed to be aboutt drugs, that's very interesting indeed!

They took this to the best level they could! Let all the emotions out! They make me hate Mattis way more here than I did in the book or the movie.
GO RONJA!
The 2002 Tokyo Mew Mew adaptation is not as great as you remember it being.
Jan 13, 2015 3:29 AM

Jan 2014
Woah Mattis went too far... I understand Ronja's hatred.
Jan 13, 2015 11:07 AM

Jan 2013
I cried when I saw Birk lying all beaten up on the floor. I was so sad when I watched this. And I was terrified by the look of Mattis' eyes. They were so empty, and he even threw back his wife...unforgivable. You can't beat up a child! Poor Birk and Ronja, I want to hug them ;_;

Jan 13, 2015 11:22 AM

Aug 2014
What the fuck, Mattis? The drama and tension in this episode was fairly gripping.
Sieg Zeon!
Jan 13, 2015 12:31 PM

Sep 2013
second best episode so far after the "Oath between brothers'

i cant's belive that Mattis thrown Lovis like that.

poor Birk :(
and let us not forget Knottas :(
Jan 13, 2015 2:18 PM

Apr 2012
The confrontation between Mattis and Ronja was well done (the contrast between the happy mood and Ronja's scream was a nice intro for example). As they both have strong personalities, it was bound to happen sooner or later. Thankfully there was one sensible thing to do to end this, and she did it in the preview.

Not sure I like all the spoiling they do in the previews btw, but maybe it's more adequate for a young audience, idk.
EratiKJan 13, 2015 2:22 PM
Jan 14, 2015 2:50 AM

Oct 2013
that was intense.

bit of a slap in the face
"Urushibara Ruka. The mannerisms and voice of a woman... No... More feminine than any woman. But he's a guy. Taller than Mayuri, but so very thin... But he's a guy. Looks great in a miko outfit... But he's a guy. It's already twilight And yet, it's so hot. The cicadas are crying. But... He's a guy."
Jan 14, 2015 6:14 AM

Oct 2008
can i just kill Mattis now?

Jan 14, 2015 6:27 PM

Apr 2008
Omg, I love this show.

First half was beautiful, then the next half, I am totally sick that I can't watch anything else tonight. It was powerful and I loved it.

Matthias is so full of rage (DUDE, it was an arrow!) that he lost his heart. And then everyone laughs and feels ecstatic at Birk being beat up. Then Ronja was just....ugh. She needed a freakin' hug. Lovis was great too...

"WTF did you just thr---oh @#%$ (o.o)."

Was it ever explained as to why the robber groups hate one another?! o-O Novel-wise? Or is it just survival of the fittest?
Jan 15, 2015 1:33 PM

Apr 2012
shakeyourpup45 said:
Was it ever explained as to why the robber groups hate one another?! o-O Novel-wise? Or is it just survival of the fittest?
The show gives a lot of little reasons: yes survival of the fittest is one. Then you have to take into account the brigand mentality: you can't share anything with people from outisde your circle. But I think the main reasons is because Borka people shed blood: it means things are serious and they're willing to go to killing people, so Mattis is willing to do the same, for the safety of his people (kill or be killed). Mattis also mentions his street credit, saying if he doesn't retaliate it'll be perceived by other brigands' parties as a show of weakness, probably meaning he could suffer another attack from someone else.
EratiKJan 15, 2015 3:39 PM
Jan 15, 2015 4:11 PM

Apr 2008
The brutality is slightly overlapped by the comedy/cuteness side of the show until now.
Jan 16, 2015 6:52 AM

Apr 2008
I think I'll stop watching the previews.
Jan 18, 2015 1:54 AM

Oct 2008
TooFy said:
I think I'll stop watching the previews.

yea...it spoils so much!

Jan 18, 2015 7:07 AM
Jan 2015
[quote=shakeyourpup45
Was it ever explained as to why the robber groups hate one another?! o-O Novel-wise? Or is it just survival of the fittest?[/quote]

They do robbery in the same forest so they are fierce competitors, and the did steal half of Mattis castle, so it a loot of wounded pride.

I am relay upset how they how they did the Mattis character, he would never purposely punch Lovis, and "do not clean the wound stuff", a dead hostage is a worthless one.

Yes I know they love to show how powerful and dominant Lovis is but to smash poor Knottas?`face, that is also very out of character.
Jan 19, 2015 2:21 AM

Sep 2009
EratiK said:
shakeyourpup45 said:
The show gives a lot of little reasons: yes survival of the fittest is one. Then you have to take into account the brigand mentality: you can't share anything with people from outisde your circle. But I think the main reasons is because Borka people shed blood: it means things are serious and they're willing to go to killing people, so Mattis is willing to do the same, for the safety of his people (kill or be killed). Mattis also mentions his street credit, saying if he doesn't retaliate it'll be perceived by other brigands' parties as a show of weakness, probably meaning he could suffer another attack from someone else.

Not to also mention that both their tribes have been passed on for generations. When Mattis and Borka were younger, they were friends in secret, but their parents also pushed on them the "they're our enemy" mentality and kept them away from each other. I personally think this is the main reason to why they hate each other.
While the fact that Borka and the gang shed blood was a trigger for Mattis going as far as beating up Birk since one of his people/"family" got hurt.
Jan 19, 2015 2:50 AM

Sep 2009
Good episode in general. It was pretty intense and had a good flow of emotions.

Mattis - What he did was horrible. One should never beat up a child regardless of his reasons.
But, I'll be always keeping in mind that Mattis is supposed to be a hot-headed idiot that's a doting father, leader of the robber gang, having childish behaviours at times and act rashly without thinking throughout his actions.
He's already proven so countless of times in a bunch of episodes. (short example: his tantrum and starts throwing stuff, so Lovis gave him eggs so that he wouldn't be throwing/breaking the benches/tables and told him "Remember, you'll be cleaning everything up alone once you're done throwing them." he needed to be reminded of this before doing the egg bashing, because otherwise he wouldn't think that far ahead because he was in the heat of the moment.)
The reason he beat up Birk was because he got so heated up in the moment of thoughts of revenge, so he's not able to think clearly enough.

Again, he rashly without thinking, he threw Lovis like a sack. Yet again unforgiveable. But I'm still going to keep in mind that this is back in the days, I don't think they made a huge deal about beating their wives back then, but then again; The wives were to be feared if they got angry. So violence between a man and a woman (in marriages) weren't that uncommon during their era, if i remember correctly...
Anyway, what surprised me was that Lovis didn't throw a punch back in Mattis' face. xD I was sitting and waiting for that to happen because i would have imagined that really pissed her off.

Ronja - She's such a good kid, and had great expressions for this episode. Really emotional and left a great impact. I kind of expected her to run over to Birk and hug him to try to keep him somewhat safer, but her actions were still good!

(haven't really commented on the other episode discussions so i'll just be writing this here. xD)
Lovis is such a great character, i'm really admiring her. I love how she's so strong in so many aspects. (and no, not really being a feminist here, just saying i like her a lot as a character xD) She's currently my absolute favorite character in this series, and also one of my favorite characters in general. >w<
iskattenJan 19, 2015 2:55 AM
Jan 21, 2015 2:28 AM
Aug 2011
Holy hell how did this go from a laugh fest every episode to this.

To have like 7 burly grown-ass men mocking a beaten up and tied child is just awful.
Poor boy even had blood in his mouth.
I was wide-eyed while watching this, I almost couldn't believe Mattis was acting like this.

Not to mention shit hit the fan even more for me the moment he grabbed Lovis and basically flung her across the room.

What the ever loving fuck?! All of the things Mattis (and the other guys too) was doing here were just the lowest of the low. I'll never look at them the same way again.

iskatten said:
Lovis is such a great character, i'm really admiring her. I love how she's so strong in so many aspects. (and no, not really being a feminist here, just saying i like her a lot as a character xD) She's currently my absolute favorite character in this series, and also one of my favorite characters in general. >w<

I like her too. She's really headstrong and he actually gets things done, plus she's physically tough.
Like how she watched over Sturkas in the last episode.
Feb 25, 2015 2:37 AM

Nov 2011
Rating: G - All Ages

FUCKIN A!!
Feb 28, 2015 8:07 AM
Jun 2013
I can't believe he threw his wife! He was in a completely different mode at the end. i felt so bad for Birk and Ronja, they're just 2 kids who wanna have fun. They don't deserve this...
Apr 19, 2015 4:11 PM

Oct 2012
This was great episode. The only letdown is that acted like clown in episode before, he should have acted like this from a start. As such his change was kinda strange this time.

But it was a lot better than rest of the series nevertheless, they did those emotions right.
May 16, 2015 1:56 PM

May 2012
Very impressive development, I did not expect that kind of ending! Looking forward to see what's next.
May 11, 2016 9:49 PM

Dec 2008
Det här var kanske bästa episoden hittills. Äntligen lite spänning mellan karaktärerna. Man kände för dem på riktigt.

This was maybe the best episode so far. Finally some tension between the characters. You felt for them for real.
"He isn't dead, San. He is here with us now, telling us, it's time for both of us to live."
"And slowly... You come to realize..."
"They come without asking, and then they leave just the same.
But once you meet them, even if nobody ever knows it, that encounter will change your life for the better."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYzMYcUty6s
Apr 17, 2018 7:56 PM

Feb 2017
Mattis confirmed worst character.

More topics from this board

» Studio ghibli, really?

TimetravelrN8 - Dec 15, 2017

7 by Raiseii »»
Feb 17, 4:36 AM

Poll: » Sanzoku no Musume Ronja Episode 26 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 28, 2015

43 by epidemia78 »»
Jul 2, 2022 1:15 PM

» Is this show good excluding the animation?

Supercuecaaa - May 30, 2020

1 by amarcioz »»
Aug 14, 2020 8:48 AM

Poll: » Sanzoku no Musume Ronja Episode 25 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 21, 2015

20 by eski514 »»
Apr 19, 2018 5:42 PM

Poll: » Sanzoku no Musume Ronja Episode 24 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 14, 2015

19 by eski514 »»
Apr 19, 2018 10:49 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.