Forum Settings
Forums

Which manga artist has the best art style? Please Explain.

New
Jan 10, 2015 1:33 AM

May 2014
Just as the title says, which mangaka has the best art style? Please explain why you think so.

Mod Edit: Please note that simple listing responses, i.e. making posts that contains only names, titles, pictures, or 1-3 word replies without explaining why they were posted, do not create discussion and will be removed. In particular, please understand that simply listing a manga or author and then sharing an image is not considered explaining why you made the post. If you do share an image, please elaborate on what attracts you to it as there could be an endless amount of explainable possibilities and discussing these, creates discussion.
shawnofthedeadzMay 10, 2016 11:27 PM
Click my sig
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jan 10, 2015 1:50 AM

Aug 2011
For me, it'd be Oh! Great. His drawing on of Air Gear towards the end looks really good. Face, body proportion, motion pose, shading, angle selection. Real concrete stuff.
Chong The Nomad sang:
Even if you're lost, you can't~ Lose the love because that's in your heart~ Hooo oo ooo ooo oo~

My DeviantArt
To keep your drawing sanity, click here.
Jan 10, 2015 1:50 AM
Oct 2014
In my opinion, it goes to Takehiko Inoue.

His hyper-realistic drawings when it came to Vagabond were near perfection.
He doesn't only do that, but it also to convey realistic emotions of characters which makes it even better.
He turned a pencil into a brush, what manga artist can do that.. :)
Jan 10, 2015 1:59 AM

Aug 2011
Mustang_Roy said:
In my opinion, it goes to Takehiko Inoue.

His hyper-realistic drawings when it came to Vagabond were near perfection.
He doesn't only do that, but it also to convey realistic emotions of characters which makes it even better.
He turned a pencil into a brush, what manga artist can do that.. :)
Woah. His art on Slam Dunk is quite meh, but hell he turned into a beast.
Chong The Nomad sang:
Even if you're lost, you can't~ Lose the love because that's in your heart~ Hooo oo ooo ooo oo~

My DeviantArt
Jan 10, 2015 2:15 AM

May 2014
Imo, I think Inoue is good, but his drawings are kind of realistic, and realism I feel is overrated in the world of art.

Oh! Great's art style is meh. Some of his proportions are off, but he alright. Better than me anyway, lol.
Click my sig
Jan 10, 2015 2:20 AM

Nov 2014
I really like how Takeshi Obata (Death Note) and Kentaro Miura (Berserk) draw !

It is a question of taste actually, isn't it ? :p
Jan 10, 2015 2:44 AM
Oct 2014
Oh, yeah... Yusuke Murata too (One Punch Man)

(Can't post img BBCode is broken....... dammit)
http://i.imgur.com/oHwzq.jpg?1

http://i.imgur.com/vH1ZMUC.gif

His art sytle is very well polished and very easy to follow especially when it comes to the action sequences.
Jan 10, 2015 3:06 AM

Aug 2011
Wow, real solid stuff here.
Mustang_Roy said:
Oh, yeah... Yusuke Murata too (One Punch Man)

(Can't post img BBCode is broken....... dammit)
http://i.imgur.com/oHwzq.jpg?1

http://i.imgur.com/vH1ZMUC.gif

His art sytle is very well polished and very easy to follow especially when it comes to the action sequences.
That gif tho. I believe he's the only one who does action sequence like this? Detailed and precise.
Chong The Nomad sang:

My DeviantArt
Jan 10, 2015 3:10 AM
Jun 2014
This depends a lot of the tastes of anyone. I like realistic style with a touch of badass(not like Hanazawa Kengo).

My favourite artist would be:
Yang Kyung-Il
Ishida Sui
Obata Takeshi
Takehiko Inoue
Boichi

I really like the style of some not so realistic style as well, like:
Murata Yusuke
Kubo Tite
Segawa Hajime
Hoshino Katsura
Jan 10, 2015 10:08 AM

Sep 2013
Tite Kubo has the best character designs.
And shima (toriko author) the best creature and environment art.
Jan 10, 2015 10:28 AM

Oct 2014
This is entirely subjective overall but maybe Ai Yazawa. She has nice, unique artwork.

Motomi Kyosuke and Io Sakisaka have very nice art-styles as well.

Also, Miyuki Abe's artwork in Super Lovers is gorgeous as well.

So yeah, lol, there are just lots of talented artist in the manga industry, it's hard to narrow it down to one particular artist.
Jan 10, 2015 11:22 AM

Sep 2014
Kentaro Miura by a long shot. Amazing detail to every scene.
Jan 10, 2015 12:02 PM

Jun 2014
When I was younger, it was CLAMP's style that inspired me to read more manga and draw. Anatomy-wise, it's definitely not the best, but it's very aesthetically appealing. And I'm pretty biased towards art nouveau styled mangas.

Park Jin-hwan - (The Breaker)
Sahara Mizu / and all her other pen names - (Watashitachi no Shiawase na Jikan, Hoshi no Koe)

Definitely feel like picking up Vagabond now, the art is really nice.
Jan 10, 2015 12:55 PM

Dec 2012
Alright. I have a few artists I like. I can't choose who's the best honestly. That's really hard. I personally like artists who put a lot of detail into their backgrounds. I'll probably miss some, can't remember all atm and I really need to create a list.

[size=90]Shoujo artists:
Shiraishi Yuki: http://i.imgur.com/1JQFIYv.jpg

Robico: http://i.imgur.com/93LNZy5.png
http://i.imgur.com/qvsXxv1.jpg

----

NON (she does mostly ecchi manga): http://2.p.mpcdn.net/27965/482600/3.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/o6LLqoZ.jpg

----
BL Authors:
Nojiko Hayakawa: http://i.imgur.com/fNjVaHP.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/LbCD3kE.jpg

Ichikawa Kei: http://i.imgur.com/yP0R60P.png

Konjiki Runa: http://i.imgur.com/INgEvVo.jpg
Using her as a general example for that artwork because I've noticed a lot of artists having it, particularly in pixiv. Dunno where it stemmed from though.

----

For Horror, I'd prefer artwork like Hideout's: http://i.imgur.com/C5xN7HS.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/5Be92Gx.jpg
RothJan 10, 2015 1:02 PM
Jan 10, 2015 1:15 PM

May 2013
It's all opinion, really . . so IMO . .
Hikaru no Go's art style was pretty good.
Also, simplistic art like Yotsuba.
Brave Heart~

Dislikes politics.
Jan 11, 2015 8:57 PM

Nov 2014
I love Ken Akamatsu's style. He's so neat and consistent with his art. Some of CLAMP's works are nice, too. I find it crazy awesome how xxxHolic is drawn only black and white, no gray (except for the colored covers).

I also love the art in Paradise Kiss, Genshiken, and Rosario+Vampire. Paradise Kiss has a lot of detail when it comes to clothing and designs (which is only natural), Genshiken has a fun and kooky tone to it, and Rosario+Vampire has extraordinary detail when it comes to the monsters bodies.

Oh, and yes, Yotsubato! Forgot the mangaka's name (x.x) but he did quite the nice job with Yotsubato and his other works.
Oct 28, 2015 4:06 AM
Apr 2013
Kaoru Mori and Takehiko Inoue for me. The level of detail and realism is astonishing...you can't help but get immersed in their works.
Oct 28, 2015 11:55 AM

Sep 2015
When it comes to colors I absolutely love Ishida Sui's watercolor thing. He makes it look really elegant somehow.

For plain drawings, I think Asano Inio is best. Everything just looks so captivating, fragile, and haunting.

Most fitted for manga would be Kazuma Kondou though. Have you seen his panelling? Like dayum.
Oct 28, 2015 11:07 PM

Apr 2014
My favorite artist is Suzuhito Yasuda. He's only done one manga series, Yozakura Quartet, but his art style is so unique and recognizable. He does the art for a couple of light novels and video games too.
Some examples would be Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon?, Durarara, Devil Survivor, etc. I also love his character designs.
Dec 2, 2015 9:28 AM
Oct 2007
It's very hard to take this thread seriously when not a single one of the 45 posts so far has mentioned Kaoru Mori.

And seriously, putting the likes of Kubo Tite and Kishimoto on the same pedestal as Yusuke Murata, Takehiko Inoue and Asano Inio? Really?

At this rate I'm half-expecting posters suggesting Hajime Isayama and Sankaku Head as great artistes next.
Normal well-adjusted human being
Dec 3, 2015 6:44 PM

Aug 2015
artist of ReLife so clean + colored
Dec 6, 2015 2:22 AM
Sep 2013
Toriyama Akira
who has the biggest presence when it comes to design both manga and video game industry(Dragon ball and Dragon quest)
Dec 6, 2015 2:40 AM

Nov 2012
It's hard to answer and there is no answer probably.

I think all the manga artists' style is spectacular I have ever read manga from. I really love for example the art style of Kaori Yuki, Minase Masara, Takanaga Hinako, Hasumi Toui, Nihei Tsutomu, Yagi Norihiro, Peach-Pit, Itsuki Kaname, Chrono Nanae, CLAMP, Nakamura Asumiko, Yoneda Kou, Shimaki Ako, Est Em, Junko, Kakine, DUO Brand, Naono Bohra, Inoue Satou, Miwa Shirow, Mitsuki Ryoko, Karasuma Tasuku and Psyche Delico.

But as I wrote before, I love all of them. I think every mangaka has his/her own style, which is a big performance (to create something special but to still belong to the general "manga" style), and I really respect them for what they do. Maybe that's why I can't really pick one or two "best" mangakas. Each of their stlye is special due to something. ^^
Dec 7, 2015 2:30 AM

Aug 2015
In terms of backgrounds, Katsuhiro Otomo has the best drawn scenery I've ever seen. They're just buildings, rectangles basically, but he somehow draws them with such ENERGY. They feel dynamic.

And when skyscrapers start collapsing, and machinary gets torn apart, the chaos seems organized and perfect. It's hard to explain.

He's not my favourite artist, but his skills are hard to deny.
Jan 1, 2016 8:18 AM

Dec 2015
so much love for Takehiko Inoue neh? I like his drawing too
and also Sorachi in these recent years
“The greatest crimes in the world are not committed by people breaking the rules but by people following the rules. It's people who follow orders that drop bombs and massacre villages.” -Bansky
Jan 1, 2016 2:11 PM

Oct 2014
Ketaro Miura... the detail in his later Berserk chapters is freakin' bananas.
Jan 1, 2016 2:37 PM
Nov 2015
I don't think he has the best but, my absolute favorite is Tite Kubo's. It's just something about it that makes me fall in love.
Jan 1, 2016 8:02 PM

May 2010
TheBlackTeaLady said:
Masasumi Kakizaki : Rainbow, Green Blood, Hideout...

Probably the one with best drawings from I've read was his "Hideout". It looks amazing and super-creepy.

As for the cutest one, my favourite mangaka is probably Cuteg, her works are way too adorable!
Kitsu-neeJan 1, 2016 8:02 PM
Jan 2, 2016 6:59 PM

Oct 2012
Not the best but my favourite are Robico (simple, more realistic, beautiful)

and Irie Aki (detailed, fantasy-like, captivating)

Jan 27, 2016 7:29 AM
Jul 2015
Yana Toboso's art in Kuroshitsuji is beautiful, she is one of my favorites.
Jun Mochizuki (Pandora Hearts) has a lovely art style too that gets even better in her later works.
Takarai Rihito has a lovely style that somehow manages to look soft lol like is drawn with airbrush or something and I totally love that.

Though Im not reading OnePunch Man, Ive seen some manga caps and the art looks fantastic, one of the best Ive seen.
Jan 27, 2016 1:13 PM

Jan 2014
Akira Toriyama, to which he inspired a whole generation of artists like Eiichiro Oda, Hiro Mashima,..
Inoue Takehiko when it comes to more realistic style.
Takeshi Obata and Yusuke Murata whom was his apprentice.
Saeki Shun, I heard he was a hentai mangaka prior Shokugeki No Souma though. Must be the reason.
VivieJan 27, 2016 1:16 PM
Jan 29, 2016 7:19 AM

Jan 2015
The Breaker, no doubt about it as well as Berserk, man the amount of detail he puts on it is crazy
Feb 8, 2016 12:00 AM
Sep 2013
Tite Kubo influences my drawing so much. But since I'm into shoujo manga these days, I like Izumi Tsubaki's (Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun) and Akizuki Sorata's (Akagami no Shirayukihime) styles. Simple but beautiful, clean and clear.
Feb 8, 2016 1:26 PM

Jan 2016
Leaning more towards the elegant and detailed-oriented works of CLAMP and Tanemura Arina. Haven't read all their manga series or any recent ones, but I've always been attentive to manga sharing that same art style.
there are many worlds, but they share the same sky — one sky, one destiny
Feb 8, 2016 7:14 PM
Dec 2015
Clamp (simple but cute),takehiko inoue (see the realistic figure and also the awesome draw in eyes looks realistic) and yusuke murata (awesome)
Feb 9, 2016 9:10 AM

May 2014
Which Manga do you think has the best or most breathtaking art style...it doesn't matter if you dislike the actual story- in terms of art style alone, which are your favourites??

Off the top of my head I'd go with Vampire Knight, Black Butler, Angel Sanctuary and Nana.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 9, 2016 9:47 AM
Sep 2015
Heroine Shikkaku is my favorite in terms of art, for sure. I liked how Hatori's face would suddenly turn hideously ugly when she was being mean, and I loved the use of different art styles for the meta humor.
Feb 9, 2016 10:02 AM

Jan 2015
The art style in Homunculus is amazing. Realistic facial features and they're so detailed.

Feb 10, 2016 5:26 PM
May 2015
art style =/= quality of art

berserk is the undisputed king of detailed art. i dont think its some holy grail in terms of art style though. thats all subjective.

Mod Edit: Removed quote of deleted post.
shawnofthedeadzMay 10, 2016 11:09 PM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 14, 2016 10:41 PM

Apr 2015
Ive gotta give this one to berserk,
though Kingdom was pretty cool at times
Feb 15, 2016 12:28 AM

Mar 2015
I haven't reach much manga, but Claymore's artstyle near the end of the series stands out the most for me.
Feb 15, 2016 12:18 PM
Oct 2014
Manhwas in general have really pretty art, like girls of the wilds or he is a high school girl.
Best art in manga has got to be berserk, but sometimes it's too good. Like it becomes frightening too good and the gory scenes are awesome, miura is also an expert in drawing guts be pissed and, well, berserk.
A manga that has a shit story but good art would be Hare Kon. Shamelessly read it just for the pretty art...
Feb 15, 2016 12:20 PM

May 2010
Since berserk schould be named by default in such threads i say Kingdom cause there were some panels that blew me away and i enjoy its art style in general.

Also Claymore!
Feb 15, 2016 2:30 PM

Jun 2013
I like Takeshi Obata's art. aka Hikaru No Go, Death Note, Bakuman
It's very realistic looking and just amazingly done overall
Also on a flipside I'm very fond of Adachi Mitsuru's art. aka cross game, h2, etc.
It's just so innocent and simple. Hard not to like it.
Feb 15, 2016 7:12 PM

Sep 2013
Tite Kubo has gotten way more technical and sophisticated over the years, going from rough to crystal clear in his art style.
http://i.imgur.com/uwCbOnt.jpg

Feb 18, 2016 10:00 AM

Feb 2013
For me, it's Akira Amano. Her arts are not much realistic and detailed, but just simply and clear, kind of cute as well. And this colouring, oh man.
cant wait for her new project

May 6, 2016 10:06 AM

Jan 2016
This might change after I've read more but from the few I've read and saw the artstyle off.... Prison SChool's art(all including outside the ecchi scenes) seems to be the best.... It's one of the reason I was immersed whenever reading it.
May 7, 2016 10:48 AM
Jul 2018
I really like the art style of a lot of older manga. Like Anatolia Story, it tends to not have the same overdone art styles. Which makes it interesting for me to read.
May 7, 2016 12:12 PM

Apr 2016
maybe not the "best" as in great, detailed, or eye-popping, but I think Inio Asano, author of Oyasumi Punpun, Solanin, etc has the best art style as in realistic in drawing the character
not too "beautified", not so "ugly-fied" either like other mangaka that made the mc extremely beautiful just because the plot says so
in most of his works, all the character, even the main ones tends to be "normal-looking", this is why when you're reading it, it feel like you're reading about real people, not people from manga

Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» How many chapters do you read a month?

Rissio - Apr 4

17 by Oofmastre9000 »»
2 hours ago

» Do you ever skim through your Manga?

zaganGao - Jan 23

26 by Zimmu »»
4 hours ago

» Top 10 most iconic manga creators objectively ranked

AlphaMaleScotty - Apr 15

22 by Lucifrost »»
Yesterday, 8:38 AM

» Recently Bought Manga, Mahnwa, Manhua, or Light Novels. ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Maora - Oct 24, 2008

5931 by malvarez1 »»
Apr 16, 8:26 PM

» Have an amazing art in manga but not in anime

kirA_-_ - Apr 15

7 by malvarez1 »»
Apr 16, 8:24 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.