Forum Settings
Forums
My Little Monster
Available on Manga Store
New
Jan 5, 2015 4:03 AM

Mar 2014
Please hide spoilers, just in case. Thank you :)

I've read the first five volumes of 'My Little Monster', and while I'm enjoying it, I can't help wishing that Shizuku doesn't end up with Haru. Although I know it won't happen (this is shoujo, after all, so we can't expect anything radical), I'd like Shizuku to wake up and leave Haru alone and/or decide to be with Yamaken.

Yamaken seems rather distant, but I feel that he's already changing due to his love for Shizuku, whereas Haru hasn't changed at all.

I really can't get to grips with the fact that Haru and Shizuku's relationship (which is not romantic, I might add) is presented in a positive light. Haru is violent, rude and gauche, and he doesn't seem to want to change for Shizuku. And Shizuku doesn't want him to change. For some reason, she's totally okay with the fact that
; she just forgave him.

I really, really hope that Haru gets some serious character development. It's clear to me that he has some kind of social... issue? I don't know what you'd call it, but he's definitely inept, and he's got behavioural problems. However, he doesn't seem to want to do anything about them.

Shizuku does not deserve to be treated the way that Haru treats her. Indeed, no one deserves to be treated that way.

Which brings me back to Yamaken. Like I said, he obviously isn't an entirely open (or, it seems, nice) person, but he seems to genuinely want to change and show Shizuku that she can be in a loving relationship. He's right to fear Haru, but Haru (if he truly loves, or at least likes, Shizuku) should not act the way he does.

What do you guys think? Is Haru a lost cause? Or do you think he can change for Shizuku?
Bittenfeld said:
To tell you my honest feelings, Admiral Müller, as the groom at a wedding ceremony, the Kaiser is simply just a handsome man, I'm afraid to say. But as the supreme fleet admiral who leads entire fleets, he's really a godly person. Don't you think so, too?
Müller said:
I think he's quite godly as a groom, too.
Jan 7, 2015 9:49 AM

Jun 2012
I don't like him. He tones down the rage baby act over time, but that doesn't erase his actions or past violent thoughts, and I also hate how possessive he was of Shizuka and how smug he was towards Yamaken, who, by the way, was a much better catch.
Jan 7, 2015 11:01 AM

Mar 2014
Thanks for your reply :)

It's good to know that he at least mellows somewhat, but I agree; it shouldn't make up for the fact that he was violent in the past.

It's a shame, really, because I'm enjoying the rest of the manga a lot - I love the dynamic in the friendship group, and I like Yamaken so far - so I just have to try and get past Haru's behaviour.

Thanks again!
Bittenfeld said:
To tell you my honest feelings, Admiral Müller, as the groom at a wedding ceremony, the Kaiser is simply just a handsome man, I'm afraid to say. But as the supreme fleet admiral who leads entire fleets, he's really a godly person. Don't you think so, too?
Müller said:
Jan 22, 2015 6:40 AM
Dec 2011
Haru is a very well done character especially for a shojo hero where he is not following the typical perfect prince trope in this shojo genre. He is far from perfect but actually gets the most development out of the cast.

Kinda spoiler ahead, I think.

Well, since you're only at volume 5 now, it makes sense to be irritated at Haru as that was where he was at his lowest. Just keep on reading and finish the manga first. You will be pleased at how his character immensely develops especially towards the end of their story.

and may I know what's anime in your sig?
Jan 25, 2015 10:41 AM

Mar 2014
lilymul said:
Haru is a very well done character especially for a shojo hero where he is not following the typical perfect prince trope in this shojo genre.
Atypical or not, my issue is with the fact that no one says to him, "Hey, man, you can't do this. It's wrong." Maybe he does change for the better - if so, great - but that doesn't mean we can excuse his behaviour now.
lilymul said:
Well, since you're only at volume 5 now, it makes sense to be irritated at Haru as that was where he was at his lowest. Just keep on reading and finish the manga first. You will be pleased at how his character immensely develops especially towards the end of their story.
I hope he develops a lot. And I hope he apologises to everyone for the way he treated them. As it stands, they all seem pretty okay with it, and that's just wrong.

This happens a lot in all fiction, though; it's not just in manga/anime. For some reason, a boy who treats a girl (and her friends) like she's nothing is the hero, and I'm supposed to swoon. I just don't buy into that kind of stuff. The best examples are books such as 'Twilight', which are aimed at young girls. It's unfortunate that we barely get believable and healthy relationships in romantic fiction anymore.
lilymul said:
It's Another: http://myanimelist.net/anime/11111/Another I love it :D
Bittenfeld said:
Müller said:
Feb 2, 2015 11:56 AM
Dec 2011
NERigby96 said:
lilymul said:
Haru is a very well done character especially for a shojo hero where he is not following the typical perfect prince trope in this shojo genre.
Atypical or not, my issue is with the fact that no one says to him, "Hey, man, you can't do this. It's wrong." Maybe he does change for the better - if so, great - but that doesn't mean we can excuse his behaviour now.
lilymul said:
I hope he develops a lot. And I hope he apologises to everyone for the way he treated them. As it stands, they all seem pretty okay with it, and that's just wrong.

This happens a lot in all fiction, though; it's not just in manga/anime. For some reason, a boy who treats a girl (and her friends) like she's nothing is the hero, and I'm supposed to swoon. I just don't buy into that kind of stuff. The best examples are books such as 'Twilight', which are aimed at young girls. It's unfortunate that we barely get believable and healthy relationships in romantic fiction anymore.
lilymul said:
It's Another: http://myanimelist.net/anime/11111/Another I love it :D

By this point you should acknowledge that majority of the cast are socially awkward, they dont even have friends before they met each other except for the obvious Sasayan. They all got problem dealing with people in proper or convenient way so Haru is not the only problem here.

Yes this is fictional, you dont meet this kinda of people everyday. I havent read this manga in a while but for the whole series, Shizuku had been hard on him, the mangaka did the right thing by giving cold personality to Shizuku in 'taming' Haru, that's why they are the main couple, the chain collar held by Shizuku in every cover explains a lot. Shizuku is not your typical washy washy shojo lead, she knows her priority and she didnt let her guard down in front of people. She didnt give a easy way to Haru too and through that Haru had to learn self constraint and he proved his value as story goes on.

People around Haru are aware of his violent behaviour, that's why they are concious of him, they all try to slowly approach him and in a way not only Haru the only one who changes but he also brings out the positive views in his circle of friends.(He's becoming more and more normal later in the story and even gains lots of friends by himself)

tbh Haru's upbringing is messed up, his parents abandoned him, his only brother also abandoned him, his aunt suddenly died and the current guardian he has is Micchan but Micchan is not a parental-material figure, and he did a quite poor job in taking care of Haru. I mean they solve their everyday life's matter using fists and fights and Haru didnt go to school until high school, so basically Haru is taught and exposed to violence ever since he was small. So that's why the god the mangaka sends him this wonderful and yet flawed people around him so that they learn their mistakes, fix themselves and bring a whole positive effects to each other.

But again the whole point of this manga is to see how Haru matures and grows over time, and I am glad to say that he really did it. You will see less and less of his rough attitude(I think in V5 was the last time he show his violence tendency to anyone except well towards Yamaken) and as cliche as it sounds, he's a very gentle person inside and everyone in the story can see that.

I hope you have read beyond V5 since Haru treats his friends and Shizuku as very precious people in his life and he returns the favor by helping them later on.
lilymulFeb 2, 2015 12:01 PM
Feb 2, 2015 12:20 PM

Mar 2014
lilymul said:
his parents abandoned him, his only brother also abandoned him, his aunt suddenly died and the current guardian he has is Micchan but Micchan is not a parental-material figure, and he did a quite poor job in taking care of Haru. I mean they solve their everyday life's matter using fists and fights and Haru didnt go to school until high school, so basically Haru is taught and exposed to violence ever since he was small.
But this is my problem. It seems to me that the mangaka isn’t explaining Haru’s actions/personality for the readers, but rather excusing them; it’s like saying: “Yeah, he’s violent and cruel, but it’s okay, because he had a bad childhood.” Lots of people had bad childhoods, but they don’t all grow up to act like Haru; and if they do, they don’t get away with it, like Haru.
lilymul said:
the whole point of this manga is to see how Haru matures and grows over time, and I am glad to say that he really did it. You will see less and less of his rough attitude(I think in V5 was the last time he show his violence tendency to anyone except well towards Yamaken) and as cliche as it sounds, he's a very gentle person inside and everyone in the story can see that.
That’s good to hear. I just hope that he is truly repentant.
lilymul said:
I hope you have read beyond V5 since Haru treats his friends and Shizuku as very precious people in his life and he returns the favor by helping them later on.
I haven’t read any further yet, but rest assured, I will :)
Bittenfeld said:
Müller said:

More topics from this board

Poll: » Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun Chapter 44 Discussion

Stark700 - Aug 28, 2013

31 by TheOfficialPasta »»
Jan 29, 6:51 PM

Poll: » Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun Chapter 33 Discussion

InfiniteDestiny - Sep 20, 2012

7 by TheOfficialPasta »»
Jan 29, 1:46 PM

Poll: » Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun Chapter 30 Discussion

13man18 - Jul 4, 2012

16 by TheOfficialPasta »»
Jan 29, 1:13 PM

Poll: » Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun Chapter 31 Discussion

13man18 - Jul 21, 2012

11 by Melinka »»
Sep 20, 2023 2:01 AM

Poll: » Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun Chapter 52 Discussion

Barion-Zara - Jul 26, 2014

42 by waalex11 »»
Sep 18, 2023 8:22 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.