Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jan 4, 2015 11:56 AM

May 2014
I just thought I'd post my gallery since no one likes my works, I'd like to know what I can do to improve:
http://puush.me/Crusbaby/Gallery
Click my sig
Jan 4, 2015 12:00 PM

May 2014
Well your photo-shopped stuff is ok

but your drawings, oh god your drawings...
I've been here way too long...
Jan 4, 2015 12:01 PM

May 2014
It's not photoshop, it's gimp.

I wasn't really asking about my drawings; that's what the post a sketch topic is for.
Click my sig
Jan 4, 2015 12:13 PM

May 2014
_Izaya_ said:
It's not photoshop, it's gimp.

I wasn't really asking about my drawings; that's what the post a sketch topic is for.

Well I use Gimp as well, I just refer to anything edited like that as 'photoshoped'

If you want me to look specifically at them I would say they look a bit simplistic, forgive me if I'm wrong but is it just like taking a render and putting it over a background?

Also some of them seem a bit stretched.
I've been here way too long...
Jan 4, 2015 12:22 PM

May 2014
I don't know how to blend renders into sigs, haha.

Its not like there's anyone who can teach me this stuff. I know there are video tutorials, but I don't like video tutorials tbh. They make me antsy (don't ask me why; it's a really weird pet peeve, Ik)
Click my sig
Jan 4, 2015 12:36 PM

Mar 2010
I dig. Nice works.

Its good but some render just need to be re sized a bit better. Other then that its all good.
Jan 4, 2015 1:03 PM

May 2012
A good way to get better is to just check out what other people do and copy the things that you like. If you don't know how to copy it, then you probably don't know the program you're using well enough. If that's the case, it's important to learn about your program more through tutorials and experimenting a lot. There are also plenty of step by step tutorials on DeviantArt on how to make signatures or other graphic works. Tutorials are the best route if you're looking to improve.

Something that bothers me a lot is the way you resize the render. The characters look distorted and awkward when done like that. Try to be more careful. It's also vital that everything blends together when making GFX. A simple way to do it is using filters at the end. Photoshop has adjustment layers, but I don't know if GIMP has that so you'd have to look up the equivalent of it. But blending everything together is easier when there are things to blend together. It looks like you're mostly just making the background and putting the render on it with a few other things right now. You should try and add some more stuff to play around with.

Increase your repertoire of images to use in your GFX works. Get things like C4Ds, brush presets, lighting effects, textures, backgrounds, renders, abstracts, etc. There are plenty of packs on DeviantArt that people give out for free.

Of course you'll only improve if you're willing to. I could go on and on about how to get better but in the end you'll only be good in proportion to how much practice you do.
Jan 4, 2015 1:24 PM

May 2014
Ryugen said:
Something that bothers me a lot is the way you resize the render. The characters look distorted and awkward when done like that. Try to be more careful. It's also vital that everything blends together when making GFX. A simple way to do it is using filters at the end. Photoshop has adjustment layers, but I don't know if GIMP has that so you'd have to look up the equivalent of it. But blending everything together is easier when there are things to blend together. It looks like you're mostly just making the background and putting the render on it with a few other things right now. You should try and add some more stuff to play around with.
It's hard to blend when there aren't any good tutorials that show you how to do it.

With my current sig, I discovered a script I didn't even really know I had and used it to blend Levi into the signature. Probably not that much of an improvement though, since people are still saying the same thing. But using brushes and layers is difficult though.

Increase your repertoire of images to use in your GFX works. Get things like C4Ds, brush presets, lighting effects, textures, backgrounds, renders, abstracts, etc. There are plenty of packs on DeviantArt that people give out for free.
Yeah, that's where I get most of my resource material from.
Of course you'll only improve if you're willing to. I could go on and on about how to get better but in the end you'll only be good in proportion to how much practice you do.
Believe me, I know.
Click my sig
Jan 4, 2015 1:31 PM

Oct 2013
Make a Oni Link drawing
Jan 4, 2015 3:05 PM

Jun 2014
I don't really like the colors used for the backgrounds. Some of them are okay, but in others it just seems like the colors are a bit too powerful. In most of them the background is more stunning that the character.

Regarding the drawings, I would suggest taking some formal classes. If you can't or already have/are, then you might want to look into learning on your own. I suppose that's kind of rude because the intention is "your drawing kind of sucks," so I guess I'll just leave it there to say it outright.

I would suggest looking into different shading techniques. There's a few different ones out there.

I think you should also look into anatomy drawing and learning how to draw faces. Wooden mannequins can be helpful guides for drawing anatomy.

I'm not really sure how you draw, but if you don't do this already, try drawing using short, light lines at first. Then when you are sure about the shape of the line, draw it darker. It's also helpful to use short, light lines for reference when drawing anatomy. When drawing anatomy, try using basic shapes first, and then provide the more complex shapes from those basic shapes.

You could also look into negative space drawing. It helps with getting used to the shape of objects.

If you don't already know about it, look into perspective drawing. Once you get past portraits, it's pretty important to know.

This may also be helpful. I just found it while searching for stuff.
http://drawsketch.about.com/cs/tipsandideas/a/drawingmistakes.htm

I'm not completely sure what you used for coloring your pictures, but I think it would be better not to color yet.

There's probably some stuff I could add, but this is all I could remember.
Jan 4, 2015 4:11 PM

May 2014
dream_eater1012 said:
I don't really like the colors used for the backgrounds. Some of them are okay, but in others it just seems like the colors are a bit too powerful. In most of them the background is more stunning that the character.

Regarding the drawings, I would suggest taking some formal classes. If you can't or already have/are, then you might want to look into learning on your own. I suppose that's kind of rude because the intention is "your drawing kind of sucks," so I guess I'll just leave it there to say it outright.

I would suggest looking into different shading techniques. There's a few different ones out there.

I think you should also look into anatomy drawing and learning how to draw faces. Wooden mannequins can be helpful guides for drawing anatomy.

I'm not really sure how you draw, but if you don't do this already, try drawing using short, light lines at first. Then when you are sure about the shape of the line, draw it darker. It's also helpful to use short, light lines for reference when drawing anatomy. When drawing anatomy, try using basic shapes first, and then provide the more complex shapes from those basic shapes.

You could also look into negative space drawing. It helps with getting used to the shape of objects.

If you don't already know about it, look into perspective drawing. Once you get past portraits, it's pretty important to know.

This may also be helpful. I just found it while searching for stuff.
http://drawsketch.about.com/cs/tipsandideas/a/drawingmistakes.htm

I'm not completely sure what you used for coloring your pictures, but I think it would be better not to color yet.

There's probably some stuff I could add, but this is all I could remember.
But wait, what is it that's wrong with my drawings? You aren't being concise enough in your explanation.

I know you don't want to seem rude, but I'd rather you tell me the truth than sugarcoat. Honestly its more rude to sugarcoat than it is to tell me outright what you really think, at least to me, anyway.

So, again, what is it that's wrong with my drawings?
Click my sig
Jan 4, 2015 4:31 PM

Nov 2010
I think he's saying your work is terrible and it sucks. Everything is wrong including proportions. He gave you some solid advice on how to improve. I honestly can't draw any better than you and know little about real techniques but I've been interested myself lately but if you think learning photoshop is hard, art is significantly harder. It takes a lot of time and dedication if you're at all serious about improving.
Jan 4, 2015 5:44 PM

May 2014
I'm well aware of how much time and effort it takes to even improve a single notch in drawing. For some people its just easier for them than it is others. I, however (given the fact I can't draw a straight line or a clean circle for shite thanks to me being autistic all my life) am one of the unfortunate ones. And yet, I find drawing a lot easier than learning how to use PS.

Yes I know, logically speaking, reasoning like that should be utterly fallacious, but its just my opinion. Just like how you believe that PS > Gimp, but I'm not going to judge you for thinking that (least not anymore; we've already clashed about this, and I think we're both tired of arguing about it), so yeah.

Anyway I appreciate that article. I can already tell it looks better than any articles I've read on drawing thus far.
Click my sig
Jan 4, 2015 5:57 PM

Jun 2014
I'm a she, actually. Not that it really matters.

I'm not trying to sugarcoat. I was just lazy in my explanation.

Well, the pictures look pretty sloppy. That's why I mentioned using short, light lines at first. I can see the lines you tried to erase, but if you just use the light lines that shouldn't be so noticeable.

The eyes look a bit creepy. Normally that much of the whites shouldn't be shown. On the picture of the woman it looks a bit more normal. Granted, I suppose part of it is up to style if you're going for a manga/comic type of drawing. But in this case, it still looks a bit weird.

The noses also look weird. The shading doesn't really made sense. Depending on where the light source is, it can decide where they shadows are and what the shadows look like. Because the noses are shaded, that would imply that there's some sort of light source coming from the side. But since the only face shading is with the nose, it just doesn't look right.

The shading itself looks bad, so that's why I mentioned looking into different shading techniques.

The coloring is really awful. Since coloring is a bit of another monster (depending on what medium you want to use), I would say to just focus on drawing and later get to coloring.

That's all, I guess.
Jan 4, 2015 6:07 PM

Nov 2010
dream_eater1012 said:
I'm a she, actually. Not that it really matters.

I knew that I just forgot the "s" :)
Jan 4, 2015 6:10 PM

Dec 2012
He can't very well be a superstar artist in the first couple months peeps..
Jan 4, 2015 6:26 PM

May 2014
Objurgo said:
And I don't disagree with this.

Guys, don't worry. I already know how much effort and time I'll have to put into this. I already had that ingrained in my head last year, so don't worry.
IzayaJan 4, 2015 7:43 PM
Click my sig
Jan 4, 2015 9:09 PM

Dec 2012
_Izaya_ said:
Objurgo said:
And I don't disagree with this.

Guys, don't worry. I already know how much effort and time I'll have to put into this. I already had that ingrained in my head last year, so don't worry.

Don't worry, just look for artists on youtube such as Sycra, Cube brush and/or Jetty jet for tutorials and lessons.

More topics from this board

» Anime hoodies - Would you wear it ?

abambata - Apr 17

1 by DesuMaiden »»
3 hours ago

» What software(s) and hardware(s) do you use for digital drawings?

DesuMaiden - Apr 16

11 by DesuMaiden »»
3 hours ago

» Have you tried using lmms?

Cammell - 5 hours ago

0 by Cammell »»
5 hours ago

» Help me modify this layout

Luffie00 - Yesterday

0 by Luffie00 »»
Yesterday, 7:01 PM

» Share Your YouTube Channel/Videos! ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

nin-tendo - Dec 16, 2022

357 by nin-tendo »»
Yesterday, 12:16 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.