Forum Settings
Forums
New
Dec 27, 2014 12:50 AM

Nov 2011
I've been toying around with and am still getting the hang of it. Was hoping to befriend people who were veterans at it in case I needed some help.
Dec 27, 2014 1:14 AM

Apr 2012
I bought it for a dollar, messed around with it for an hour or so then just stopped using it, maybe it's okay if you're new to making games.
Dec 27, 2014 7:12 AM

Nov 2011
Rivayne said:
I bought it for a dollar, messed around with it for an hour or so then just stopped using it, maybe it's okay if you're new to making games.
Do you mean to suggest you make games through some other means? If so so may I ask how or if not my bad lol.
Dec 27, 2014 7:26 AM

Jun 2014
I've never used VX, but I used RPG Maker 95+, and especially RPG Maker 2000 a lot back in the day. I still have the games I made with it.

Fun times.

Dec 27, 2014 6:43 PM

Nov 2011
Bump
Dec 27, 2014 8:11 PM

Aug 2014
It's more beneficial if you just learn to code and not use that, i mean if you want to it's fine and you can even code in game maker language (idk the actual name) but it's so worth it to just learn a programming language and figure it out on your own.

Dec 27, 2014 8:37 PM

Jun 2008
I had an RPG Maker for the PS2 back a spell, can't remember the version it was. I wanna say RPG Maker 2, but not sure. I wasn't very good at it. :x
Dec 27, 2014 8:42 PM

Mar 2014
Brought it and every dlc and what not for like 5 bucks on humble bundle. only used it to make 1 game and got bored of it haha
Dec 27, 2014 9:28 PM

Jun 2014
-Haku said:
It's more beneficial if you just learn to code and not use that, i mean if you want to it's fine and you can even code in game maker language (idk the actual name) but it's so worth it to just learn a programming language and figure it out on your own.

Not everyone can code. RPG Maker lets anyone make their own RPGs with its pre-built engine. If you don't like the default charasets and facesets, you can always import your own into the game.

Some of my games were hundreds of maps long, and I spent long hours making them. It was always fun to see how far my friends could get through them, and what their opinion of it was.

If you have lots of ideas, RPG Maker can be a LOT of fun.

Dec 27, 2014 10:12 PM

Aug 2014
Working_Designs said:
-Haku said:

Not everyone can code. RPG Maker lets anyone make their own RPGs with its pre-built engine. If you don't like the default charasets and facesets, you can always import your own into the game.

Some of my games were hundreds of maps long, and I spent long hours making them. It was always fun to see how far my friends could get through them, and what their opinion of it was.

everyone CAN code though if they take the time to learn, i don't really see what you mean there. i agree it's nice and accessible but still, it's like using a GUI when you're trying to learn the basics of how a computer functions.
-taeyeonDec 27, 2014 10:15 PM

Dec 27, 2014 10:50 PM
Dec 2014
It's terrible get garrys mod
Dec 28, 2014 3:05 AM

Apr 2012
Lol at post above me. And yes coding is better and it's more beneficial if you actually take the time to learn it.

Garrys mod is great with friends, but is not even near comparable.
Dec 28, 2014 3:16 AM
Oct 2013
Retro8bit said:
I had an RPG Maker for the PS2 back a spell, can't remember the version it was. I wanna say RPG Maker 2, but not sure. I wasn't very good at it. :x

That's an actual game for PS2 or PS if I remember correctly not the same one you download using your PC and code a retro JRPG.

@OP: Just stick to a single game IDE. Jumping from one another won't let you finish anything.
ExplodingGirlDec 28, 2014 3:20 AM
Dec 28, 2014 3:32 AM
Chu2byo

Apr 2013
Working_Designs said:
-Haku said:

+!
Dec 28, 2014 7:19 AM

Jun 2014
-Haku said:
Working_Designs said:

everyone CAN code though if they take the time to learn, i don't really see what you mean there. i agree it's nice and accessible but still, it's like using a GUI when you're trying to learn the basics of how a computer functions.

NO, not everyone can learn to code. Some of us are math dyslexic, which makes learning to code extremely difficult, if not impossible.

Dec 28, 2014 11:18 AM

Jan 2008
DragonQuest3 said:
Rivayne said:
Do you mean to suggest you make games through some other means? If so so may I ask how or if not my bad lol.

If you're interested in creating games through some other means, Unity Engine is really popular among indie developers.
Dec 28, 2014 11:48 AM

Oct 2009
I have use it long time ago with RPG Maker 2000. It was a fun times.

Ammish said:
DragonQuest3 said:

If you're interested in creating games through some other means, Unity Engine is really popular among indie developers.

Yes, I would recommend using Unity, unlike many other engines out there they were kind enough to create a free version to get a grip on or to develop some lite games(screw that Unreal's monthly subscriptions!).

However to use Unity you have to dedicate your time to learn all the basics of game development and some coding skills. The community have some basic presets, some are free, while plenty others are paid, I suggest you to use it unless you also want to dedicate more time learning 3D modelling and animating.
azzuReDec 28, 2014 11:52 AM
The most important things in life is the people that you care about
Dec 28, 2014 12:06 PM

Apr 2011
I have no idea how to use it and I'm currently a 2nd year in computer science LOL
Dec 28, 2014 10:03 PM

Nov 2011
Sorry for late reply guys I've literally had my time consumed in trying to make this game I'm working on. I'm still getting used to it and learning the functions but I am making progress. Its a good thing I can download scripts online and stick them in since it's missing a few odd features that seem like they should've been stuck in. My main issue is that I suck a mapping lol.

More topics from this board

» How to play Sports Video Games?

TheSunLife - Apr 3

10 by Jensenessy »»
2 hours ago

» What videogame consoles do you own?

SnipeStrike - Apr 17

29 by loligoth666 »»
4 hours ago

» Is MAL ever going to update it's UI?

Pineapplepirate - Dec 19, 2020

28 by Timeline_man »»
4 hours ago

» Rate The Last Game You Finished. ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Crzy_Minus - Apr 23, 2015

3716 by Jeritorias »»
Yesterday, 9:57 AM

» 2 questions about Danganronpa series

Bright_Horn - Apr 19

3 by RobertsahDHDA »»
Apr 21, 10:48 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.