Forum Settings
Forums
New
Dec 23, 2014 8:12 PM
Dec 2014
Thoughts on the impact falling oil prices and european/American sanctions are having on the stability of Putins Regime? Will he survive 2015-2016?
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Dec 23, 2014 8:14 PM

Sep 2013
Russia stepped out of line one too many times this year. The powers behind the scenes are punishing it.
Dec 23, 2014 8:19 PM

Jan 2009
GG Russia

time for Putin to step down
Dec 23, 2014 8:29 PM

Mar 2012
I'd worry about us first. Our half-baked plan of 'sanctions' on a non-third world country has backfired spectacularly. Ever since Brussels issued their sanctions after MH17, the value of the euro and all other EU-member currencies have fallen along with the ruble.

https://www.ecb.europa.eu/stats/exchange/eurofxref/html/eurofxref-graph-usd.en.html
Dec 23, 2014 8:34 PM

Nov 2008
Putin must be punished for his draconian political tyranny.

Dec 23, 2014 8:41 PM

Aug 2013
LOL Putin can just sell all that oil to China. China doesn't give a f**k about sanctions.
Dec 23, 2014 8:43 PM

Apr 2013
you think he cares what you think?

Dec 23, 2014 8:44 PM

Sep 2013
If North Korea, China, and Russia combine their powers...
Dec 23, 2014 8:44 PM
Dec 2014
@ Orvieto

Russia's not the same economic or political power it used to be, Brazil has an economy of about the same size, without the security council vote. It's only great threat to europe is the amount it imports from them, and the fact that it supplies large quantities of their gasoline.

However, the US is set to outpace Saudi as the biggest oil producer with fracking, and the UK and other European countries have fracking resources, that have just not been used due to environmental concerns.

I think Putin is done. His power comes from the elites of the nation that control industry, media and politics and they have lost billions over the last few weeks. I dont remember the statistics but every russian billionaire has lost net worth because of these sanctions, and are also heavily invested in state gas companies that are failing due to falling gas rates, (They need gas at 90-100$ a galon to balance their budget, its at 50-60.)
Dec 23, 2014 8:46 PM
Dec 2014
@ Nebula, They would still have less aircraft carriers (Most important aspect in a war), Nukes, a smaller navy, and airforce than Israel and the US combined. Forget the rest of Europe, mexico, and other nato members.
Dec 23, 2014 8:46 PM

Nov 2008
lufthansa787 said:
@ Orvieto

Russia's not the same economic or political power it used to be, Brazil has an economy of about the same size, without the security council vote. It's only great threat to europe is the amount it imports from them, and the fact that it supplies large quantities of their gasoline.

However, the US is set to outpace Saudi as the biggest oil producer with fracking, and the UK and other European countries have fracking resources, that have just not been used due to environmental concerns.

I think Putin is done. His power comes from the elites of the nation that control industry, media and politics and they have lost billions over the last few weeks. I dont remember the statistics but every russian billionaire has lost net worth because of these sanctions, and are also heavily invested in state gas companies that are failing due to falling gas rates, (They need gas at 90-100$ a galon to balance their budget, its at 50-60.)

Not to mention those billionaires have mostly fled or are planning to flee Russia.

Dec 23, 2014 9:03 PM

Jan 2011
NebulaC3I said:
They can launch enough nukes to blow up in all their faces!
Dec 23, 2014 9:13 PM

Mar 2012
It can only be sensationalism to call this "the end of Russia", though it is an economic disaster. They'll make it through in one piece, I think.
LoneWolf said:
@Josh makes me sad to call myself Canadian.
Dec 23, 2014 9:18 PM

Aug 2013
If Russia could make it through the after math of the fall of the Soviet Union in the 90's then it can survive anything. Putin also isn't going anywhere considering the guy is like a modern Stalin, he isn't a weak, pathetic leader like Gorbachev.
Dec 24, 2014 1:13 AM

Oct 2009
I was rather worried about what Putin would do if the NATO bloc keep bullying Russia, Putin has a strong supporter in the ultra-nationalist movement in Russia. The plutocrats may hold the political sphere in the surface, but we should also remember that what gave them power is the string that is pulled from the gorbachev faction with Perestroika, where the nation wealth was divided to the elites. Putin was one of the one pulling the strings during that turmoil, that is why he managed to go into election from the first place.
The most important things in life is the people that you care about
Dec 24, 2014 3:00 AM

Sep 2008
First of all, we don't have a "regime", we're not the USA after all.

Second, it's always amusing to see a bunch of brainwashed westerners who don't know shit about Russia and international politics or economics in general. I applaud you ignorant sheeple. :D
Dec 24, 2014 3:06 AM

Apr 2013
don't be stupid
Dec 24, 2014 4:58 AM

Mar 2012
Russia will survive, it might go through some changes though.
Also I'm pretty sure its the oil prices that are the main problem at the mo for Russia not any sanctions. As soon as the oil prices go back up which they will then their crisis is averted.
Dec 24, 2014 5:05 AM

Jan 2008
This is dumb, Russia is a superpower. It's no more going to disappear than than Amerifats eating bigmacs all day for Christmas.
Dec 24, 2014 6:37 AM

Jan 2013
Ugh so Far its remaining stable and even has picked up a little (currency) China, India, and all of its Asian Partners are backing them heavily and refusing any sanctions against Russia, South American of note has flooded most of the Markets, however it has slowed its growth considerablly.

Whats more concerning is the fractures this has caused in the EU. A number of memberstates are openly starting to defy DC and Brussles as they need Russia as much as Russia needs them. Trans Eurasia trade>Trans-atlantic.

Course US-Russia currency realitives are bad, however that value is meaningless should the US and Russia not trade with each other, also this doesn't mean shit to Russia's home markets, only for imports. US-EU imports. Russia is trading with China on Favorable terms. In Fact the Chinese are the major winners here. If Russia "falls" It will be as its part of a new Soviet Union with the Capital in Bejing.

The bear has be poked. The Russian State, and Russian people have endured much and worse, in fact the Russian response to all of this has been making jokes. The Worst thing the US had to deal with was likely Bush and FDR. Russia has had leaders bad enough to have the name "The Terrible" attachted to the end.

However should these sanctions keep up, the EU and Russia will bleed more.

As to the wealth fleeing remarks. And Stepping out of line. Let me ask and point out a couple of things.

One If a historic invasion corridor had its government overthrown, a place that was part of your homeland way back when it was forged with Viking and Mongol Steel, with 3000k flights on your border alone, and military bases ringing your whole damn country almost, what would you do? Oh someone with a Flag that has Red-white and blue stepped out of line. And its not Russia.

The EU and the US has no rights in Russia's backyard, or how would America act if China threw down bases in the Carribian, Mexico, and Canada? The US would carry out coups and bomb the shit out of them. As to Crimea the people there ALWAYS seen themselves as Russian first and had threatend seperation for over 20 years. The only reason the US is pissed is Russia kept its Black Sea Fleet, which was the ultimate goal of DC's policy, for the humilation Russia caused them in Syria. If Russia loses the Black Sea Fleet, then it loses all influence in the Med and the mideast, and guess who wanted to take over all the pieces? Geo-politcs at work. It has shit all to do with freedumb.

As to the wealth. Not So. Putin has put in steps to forgive taxes and grant assylum to wealth returning to the country. In Fact the richest man in Russian moved ALL of his assets back into the country, and thats having a draw back effect. The US Fucked Russia. Putin would have gone on his own in time had the US left matters alone, but now you've defactoly attacked the Russian people.

When that happens they'll back any leader and fight to the death if need be. Even Stalin lasted longer than he should have thanks to this. As Bismark said.

Make Deals With Russia, not Wars

Also the EU is being hammerd....though I suspect this is yet another policy goal of DC. A Broken EU and a Broken Russia would serve the US quite well.

*Forgive typo's still a bit tired atm.
RedArmyShogunDec 24, 2014 6:43 AM
Dec 24, 2014 9:13 AM

Jan 2011
Russia has ended a bunch of times in the last century, they are still around.
Dec 24, 2014 11:01 AM

Jan 2014
Sloth_ said:
don't be stupid

This advice is always ignored.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Dec 24, 2014 12:31 PM

Mar 2014
'Murica's gonna bomb Putin in his sleep. Drop them atomic bombs Obama! Pieuw pieuw!
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Dec 24, 2014 12:38 PM

Jun 2008
Good fucking riddance to these goddamn commies....
Dec 24, 2014 3:07 PM

Mar 2012
JustALEX said:

You do realize that Russia of now is far-right?
Dec 24, 2014 3:41 PM
Apr 2014
Orvieto said:
JustALEX said:

You do realize that Russia of now is far-right?

It's a joke.
"Chinese cartoons was a mistake"

Hayao Miyazaki
Dec 24, 2014 3:45 PM

Mar 2012
ReaperCreeper said:
NebulaC3I said:
They can launch enough nukes to blow up in all their faces!

I have no knowledge of China's nuclear program but NK can't even build a proper conventional ICBM and the majority of Russia's nukes were unusable by the end of the Cold War, even before being dismantled.
I'm dead. Don't come looking for me.
Dec 24, 2014 8:27 PM

Jan 2013
Very recently, Russia has signed a deal with China. Now they will sell oil not in $ but in Y, if this continues and other nations follow suit, American $ will be in trouble.
I stand with Freedom, no matter the cost, no matter the price.

Dec 24, 2014 9:55 PM
Dec 2014
Jayex, if that happens the US is not going to let it go.

Afghanistan tried to change its oil currency, and was invaded a few weeks later. So was Iraq, but it was a mere few days.

The petrodollar system maintains the american economy, and even though the production of fracking oil will help lower their reliance on it (as the ability to sell their own oil for american dollars can add to the demand) they will never let any attack on it go unanswered.
Dec 25, 2014 6:50 AM

Feb 2012
Ye that's how it goes these days, they don't even need to invade you, they just ruin yo shit with sanctions.
Dec 25, 2014 8:27 AM

Jan 2013
Russia In response has turned its back fully on the US and is now building much of its shit at home, or with Asian Partners. The US has committed the first major geopolitical Screwup of the 21st Century. Also some European states are getting restless with the US.

The USD having its status removed as a major currency is all but concluded. Though it is the Chinese who will gain the most, with its trade booming, BRICS Bank, and now the Russians trading with the Yuan heavily, China's Trade surplus has left it in a neat position. The US Needs China more than China now needs the US. And according to most studies it has now passed the US as the major economy.

The US cannot sanction China, While they (EU states) were forced and arm twisted by DC, as long as the Chinese keep gaining steam and brazil remains defiant, the US can't do shit to China.

The US in its attempts to retain world dominance, or rather to impose it, has created its own destruction.
Dec 25, 2014 8:48 AM

Jan 2013
lufthansa787 said:

Afghanistan tried to change its oil currency, and was invaded a few weeks later. So was Iraq, but it was a mere few days.

The petrodollar system maintains the american economy, and even though the production of fracking oil will help lower their reliance on it (as the ability to sell their own oil for american dollars can add to the demand) they will never let any attack on it go unanswered.

See here, the difference between China, Afghanistan, and Iraq....

Do I need to spell it out? I don't think so. American economy is in shambles in comparison to China.

Unless America steps out of the princess mentality of entitlement, America will not recover w/out foreign help.

Dec 25, 2014 9:09 AM

May 2012
In the end your hymn still won't be as badass as that one:

S H O U T _ O L D _ B U T _ G O L D
Dec 25, 2014 12:54 PM

Jun 2008
Pffff...European politicians are idiots. Both Europe and Russia are getting damage out of this and only USA is having a party.
Dec 25, 2014 12:58 PM

Jan 2013
Monad said:
Pffff...European politicians are idiots. Both Europe and Russia are getting damage out of this and only USA is having a party.

Idiots?

No, they are fallowing marching orders to the later and earning the pay the CIA likely has set up in some "holdings" company.
Dec 25, 2014 1:08 PM

Jun 2008
RedArmyShogun said:
Monad said:

Idiots?

No, they are fallowing marching orders to the later and earning the pay the CIA likely has set up in some "holdings" company.

The CIA can't pay shit. The ones who pay are the puppet masters behind every western politician. The guys that control the moneys and markets, the ones behind central banks etc. And those guys love the US government because no one is easier to bribe and they can run the world threw it.
Putin hits their nerves because he actually decides what he wants instead of listening to whispers in his ears.
Dec 25, 2014 2:56 PM
Dec 2014
Jayex said:
lufthansa787 said:

Do I need to spell it out? I don't think so. American economy is in shambles in comparison to China.

Unless America steps out of the princess mentality of entitlement, America will not recover w/out foreign help.

AHHAHHAH I love people who hate on the American economy.

China has 1.2 trillion dollars in US holdings and could not survive without the interest payments they received from the US on a daily basis.

Japan has 1.3 trillion. If the US dollar ever crashed china would be just as fucked. They won't do anything that would fuck with the dollar.

Look at China's GDP. its massive, but how much of it comes from trade with the United states? lol

Also they have like 64 milllion empty appartments right now in china. real estate is going to cause economic hardship and bust for years to come. they focus too much on increasing gdp and not the quality of the gdp lol.
Dec 25, 2014 3:22 PM

Jan 2013
You obviously know little and less how these things work. I mean China is obviously in dire need of those loans it gives the US /sarc.

Anyways those hoping for Russia to break will have to shed some crocidile tears.

As of today the RU has bounced back from 63 to 1 to 52 to 1 and is slowly gaining movement again. It seems all the receant trade deals are turning it around pretty well.
RedArmyShogunDec 25, 2014 3:26 PM
Dec 25, 2014 9:23 PM

Jan 2013
Monad said:

Somewhere some peasant in China is laughing at the foolish Americans who think they've got it all settled....

Dec 25, 2014 9:53 PM

Jan 2013
I don't see how hard it is to understand. Russia will not fall--Russia cannot fall because of some very simple reasons:

1) China is backing Russia. With Russian technology and Chinese manpower, the two are an almost unstoppable duo. Considering the incredible bounceback of the rubl after intense measures and cooperation with China, this is proof of that.

2) Russia is backed by the people. Yes, unlike America, Russia operates by the MAJORITY. And the Silent Majority backs the President. Meanwhile in America Obama does not enjoy the same support.

3) Putin can and will instill order in his nation if needed. He can rally the people and bring them in together. He know how to appeal to natioanlism and unite the people. At worst case there is the military...

As for China, use common sense. If America is paying so much interest to China, consider then how much Chinese have invested in America? I don't know if you are aware of it, but the debt ceiling is still a problem--because there is so much debt. I don't know how Americans even forget how much they are in debt...

China is not poor either--for them to have bought so much American debt, they had to HAVE the capital in the first place--so they had money for quite a long time. In reality, China trades with the world, not just America.

Americans have this amazing ability to centralize the world on themselves...

To tell you the truth, in the past this was the case. America was strong, united, and powerful. America was also more far-right than anything. Traditional values were accepted and condoned, and the odd values that the society in America accepts today were rejected, and for good reason. Abortion was not encouraged, and wasn't even necessary to be encouraged, people did the right thing. Citizens had the right to be proud of their nation--"America is #1, America is the best. We can't be beat!"

That was certainly true then...now it is not the case. And now Americans feel insecure, they are unsure of their on leaders, they are conscious that something si deeply wrong with their nation...

But because of the past, they do not want to believe in the truth and the present. They want to hang on to the belief that they are still #1, that they are still the most powerful. That would be true if America had not changed, if they had stayed true to their roots.

The largest difference between Russia and America is obvious in the men. In America it is harder to find an alpha male. In Russia it is almost all over the place--except the areas where American ideal has penetrated, and men have become weak and no longer chivalrous.

Putin has done his best to rectify this. His portrayal via his participations in the general activities of Russians is an appeal to the people, to get off their butts and do things with their families, to grow stronger.

In Russia the family unit is encouraged. Divorces are rare and far in between. In often cases, divorce is frowned upon unless you have an extremely abusive husband, which is still rare.

In America the family unit is discouraged. Single mothers and fathers are commonplace, the prevalence of sexual icon in the younger generation are brainwashing people into believing that sex should be free, that you shouldn't care about responsibility...

Men have grown weak, the women rule America in more ways than one. And by weak, I do not mean by strength. I am not being sexist either, I am not saying women shouldn't do things or should do things.

Even Russian women participated in the frontlines during the Great Patriotic War, when there were shortages of men. But did they continue to be soldiers after the war? No.

They chose to believe and value a peaceful society and not one constantly at war with everyone else and each other.

Continously, Americans beat down every other ethnic group other than those of their own, listen to their biased propaganda and soak in every word to be true.

Anybody who does not follow their belief is a "paid Russian troll."

Any kind of "freedom" not deemed so by the West, is not Democracy.

Dec 25, 2014 10:04 PM

Aug 2013
The Russian people have gone through worst shit more than enough times to survive this bump in the road.

@Jayex
Well said.
Dec 26, 2014 3:26 AM

Jun 2014
lufthansa787 said:
@ OrvietoRussia's not the same economic or political power it used to be, Brazil has an economy of about the same size
A country doesn't need to have a large economy to mess with the fragile EU. Just look at at Greece giving them headaches last year. Also:
Sloth_ said:
don't be stupid
Dec 26, 2014 4:12 AM

Dec 2009
Russia is eternal.
Dec 26, 2014 7:44 AM

Oct 2009
lufthansa787 said:
Jayex said:

AHHAHHAH I love people who hate on the American economy.

China has 1.2 trillion dollars in US holdings and could not survive without the interest payments they received from the US on a daily basis.

Japan has 1.3 trillion. If the US dollar ever crashed china would be just as fucked. They won't do anything that would fuck with the dollar.

Look at China's GDP. its massive, but how much of it comes from trade with the United states? lol

Also they have like 64 milllion empty appartments right now in china. real estate is going to cause economic hardship and bust for years to come. they focus too much on increasing gdp and not the quality of the gdp lol.

You should learn more about how international economy works, especially on monetary swaps.
US indebted to China in order to keep the $ currency balance against Chinese Renminbi, that is why US must keep constant $ flow to counteract Yuan circulation in international trades, because China is persistent about bilateral trade must be done with Renminbi. So the purpose of US keeping a negative trade balance against China is to pressure its currency so that US $ would stay as the top dog in international banking system.
What do you think IMF is used for? Helping poor countries? ha!
The most important things in life is the people that you care about
Dec 30, 2014 5:46 AM

Jul 2014
Seriously, if you want to see a bunch of hypocrites, you have to look no further than any thread made by western people about Russia. Cold war has ended? Huh, then why does every American schoolboy think its ok to insult our nation, wish it end and wish harm to its people. Discussing ways to kill a foreign leader had become commonplace. That's double standards, that's hate on the basis of nationality (boils down to etnicity, though, cause few people understand that Russia is a multinational state) and that is disgusting in general. You talk about toppling Putin, but it will hurt people (140 mil.), and they have barely shrugged off the 90-s.

Secondly, where have you got the impression that we have a tyranny? Now, the government is undoubtedly corrupt and steals a lot, but it's very far from Reich or Stalin Russia. It seems that some people do not understand the difference at all. Actually I think that our current government is more pro-western than ever, albeit indifferent to its people... but that's another thing. It's just that they tried to bargain instead of selling everything as it is.

The Ukarinian revolution under anti-Russian slogans was bound to end this way. Exactly because of the love of the west to topple Russian "bloody regimes" via invasions. The Ukraine has always been important as a safety zone. And I wonder how Americans can deny the importance of naval bases for the sacred national security.

All of this is very sad. But the thing that makes me wonder is what Europe is to gain from disrupted trade, smaller market and what it hopes to gain in the end, if Russia fails and turns into a giant hellhole right at the EU's borders. Maybe it was good in 1917, for example, but they didn't have strong China and ISIS at that time.
deadoptimistDec 30, 2014 7:01 AM
Dec 30, 2014 7:43 AM

Mar 2012
Both sides are guilty, I laugh tho when people talk though as if the "West" is some sort of united nation that has nothing better to do than to stir up shit in other countries.
What it boils down to is the average person really doesn't give a shit about stuff that doesn't directly involve them/family or friends as it should be.
Dec 30, 2014 8:21 AM

Jul 2014
ElPysCongroo said:
What it boils down to is the average person really doesn't give a shit about stuff that doesn't directly involve them/family or friends as it should be.

Sadly, the ones who make the decisions are not these people. And their disinterest doesn't make any difference to those, who have to deal with the decisions of the governments, that these people have elected. Also when discussing how good it would be to topple Putin or to destroy Russia everybody calmly ingnores the lives of simple people here.

I'd be inclined to believe that regular Americans and Europeans don't give a damn about Russia, if I didn't encounter a ton of hateful comments and posts from so called simple people on any possible occasion. I mean, even the gaming section of the internet was staggeringly toxic after the local ban on CoH2. And in former Soviet republics (some of which are now parts of the EU) russophobia is accepted and encouraged.

ElPysCongroo said:
Both sides are guilty

Looks like the blame is put on one side in 98% of the mass media, at least.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The Current Events Board Will Be Closed on Friday JST ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Aug 2, 2021

272 by traed »»
Aug 5, 2021 5:56 PM

» Third shot of Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine offers big increase in antibody levels: study ( 1 2 )

Desolated - Jul 30, 2021

50 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:24 PM

» Western vaccine producers engage in shameless profiteering while poorer countries are supplied mainly by China.

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

1 by Bourmegar »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:23 PM

» NLRB officer says Amazon violated US labor law

Desolated - Aug 3, 2021

17 by kitsune0 »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:41 PM

» China Backs Cuba in Saying US Should Apply Sanctions To Itself

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

10 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.