Forum Settings
Forums

New Key Project 'Charlotte' Announced for 2015 [Update 1/29]

New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Dec 22, 2014 9:04 PM
Jul 2018
The best fucking news in the last 3 years
Dec 22, 2014 9:43 PM

Jun 2014
Doesn't give much information but hopefully its all psychological and whatnot
Dec 22, 2014 10:14 PM

Mar 2008
xbobx said:
REWRITE
Next Christmas, hopefully.

Dec 22, 2014 11:45 PM
May 2013
hype levels are so, so high. anything Maeda touches turns to gold.
Dec 23, 2014 12:00 AM
Jul 2018
Jun Maeda?
i hope this will be a good one
Dec 23, 2014 12:02 AM

Jan 2013
Tensho said:
Oh P.A again, I'm still hurting from their last original endeavour... I feel like this will be a short, probably one cour but I at least have trust in Maeda to deliver something decent at the very least. Is this the work where P.A takes a break from being so shit and delivers? I certainly hope so, for their sake and mine. You know what, I should stop worrying because it'll probably be good.

So you are going to pretend Nagi no Asukara never happened?

PA Works delivered literally last year.
Dec 23, 2014 12:31 AM
May 2012
This looks good.
Dec 23, 2014 1:17 AM

Nov 2011
Magito said:
I'm guessing Charlotte is Kanade. Hmmm...

This is the first time I'm inclined to believe an epileptic tree theory.

Either way, I'm game. I have a soft spot for nakiges.
Dec 23, 2014 1:22 AM

Jan 2013
I love the casuals and people who started watching anime 6 months ago who are saying PA Works sucks, as though Glasslip is the only anime theyve ever made.

If Madhouse can make Photo Kano and still be respected, PA Works is fine.
Dec 23, 2014 2:46 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
SolvitePriest said:
I love the casuals and people who started watching anime 6 months ago who are saying PA Works sucks, as though Glasslip is the only anime theyve ever made.

this

Really P.A. have great production value and that's all that really matters in this case, they're not responsible for the story writing this time around anyway as that'll all be done by Jun Maeda so I don't even understand what people are worried about
Dec 23, 2014 4:29 AM

May 2013
SolvitePriest said:

I never like you, but this time I agree with you.
Dec 23, 2014 8:41 AM
Apr 2008
To be frank I don't really know what to expect but I just hope it isn't like Angel Beats again
Dec 23, 2014 9:40 AM

Jun 2010
Kaioshin_Sama said:
xbobx said:
REWRITE FUCKING WHEN!?

I couldn't care less about this new Maeda thing. He lost his magic with AB and I doubt he will ever get it back.
At least it's PA Works, the household of original productions... so it probably won't flop that hard.

Sunrise does just as many if not more original productions as P.A Works does yearly but i guess remain invisible to people outside of Japan.

P.A.Works has the higher original:adapted ratio of all current active studios on the industry. Besides, one of their main motives to start a company of their own in 1999 was to promote original stories.
The amount of material Sunrise pumps on the market means nothing to me if it's shit.
Step it up buddy.
Dec 23, 2014 9:53 AM
May 2013
xbobx said:
Kaioshin_Sama said:

Sunrise does just as many if not more original productions as P.A Works does yearly but i guess remain invisible to people outside of Japan.

P.A.Works has the higher original:adapted ratio of all current active studios on the industry. Besides, one of their main motives to start a company of their own in 1999 was to promote original stories.
The amount of material Sunrise pumps on the market means nothing to me if it's shit.
Step it up buddy.

Do you mind linking a source (or maybe you know who it came from?) for one of their motives being to promote original stories? I'm not disagreeing, and actually in an industry that seems to do a LOT of adaptations the amount of original work is something that I like about P.A. Works, but I'm curious if that actually came from them.

In my opinion, P.A. Works has shown the capability to put out some of the most high quality animation products in the industry.

HaXXspetten said:
SolvitePriest said:

this

Really P.A. have great production value and that's all that really matters in this case, they're not responsible for the story writing this time around anyway as that'll all be done by Jun Maeda so I don't even understand what people are worried about

Yay! Someone else who understands! P.A. Works has (from what I've seen) put out some of the best production value in the industry. The story is more up to the script writer and/or production committee (who choose what gets made) it seems. I don't think most of the blame for the story should go on the studio.
Dec 23, 2014 1:34 PM

Dec 2014
*sees Jun Maeda* I am in. And also Aniplex, Key, and P.A. Works. seems like an interesting combination. The same teams worked together to create Angel Beats so I have high hopes.
Dec 23, 2014 1:59 PM

Jun 2010
Hahalollawl said:

Do you mind linking a source (or maybe you know who it came from?) for one of their motives being to promote original stories? I'm not disagreeing, and actually in an industry that seems to do a LOT of adaptations the amount of original work is something that I like about P.A. Works, but I'm curious if that actually came from them.

As I don't bookmark every interview I read for further backing, no, I don't have the source link for that.
It's my word supported by the -noticeable- higher amount of original productions while compared to similar (in size) studios.
But it was a staff interview (not sure if it was Horikawa bio, tho) and they were talking about their time working as supportive art/scenario for I.G. and Bee/Bandai. As the name of the company suggest, their intention was to set a new "quality level" for productions, hence the high investment on artwork and soundtrack (there's a nice analysis on it here: http://animeviking.com/2012/04/01/p-a-works-a-studio-still-waiting-to-shine/) and the easiest way to do so, was to not be restricted by adaptations boundaries, where you must follow a certain pattern of style and setting. Being True Tears their first shot (wikipedia wrongly says it's a VN adaptation).
Dec 23, 2014 4:52 PM
Dec 2014
I see some people have brought it up already but I'll say it anyway. If you're worried because of Glasslip, you should be taking it out on the writer not the studio. And also the writer of Glasslip is a very new one and it's the only work they have under their belt. Mari Okada is the writer of most of P.A. Works most notable titles. And Jun Maeda is writing this (Kanon, Air, Clannad, Angel Beats, and Little Busters) so you should have no worries. And animation studios a moot point anyway since a Key anime are usually mainly slice of life.

Anyway I hope this will turn out as amazing as Little Busters was! No I know it will!
Dec 23, 2014 5:15 PM

Jul 2013
everybody's sittin here worried about the studio and im just worried about what this is gonna be about. i'm hoping for another slice of life type of thing like Clannad/Little Busters.
この世界には。。。秘密がある
Dec 23, 2014 6:09 PM

Oct 2007
xbobx said:

Step it up buddy.

I don't have to step anything up. Whether you think their output is shit or not is beside the point, in terms of sheer volume they still produce more originals. Nothing else to be said other than I like most of their stuff and you apparently don't, which again is entirely beside the point. Why does MAL always have to be like this mixing subjective with objective without so much as blinking? Like everyone thinks their opinion of something has to stand for the god given truth. It's extremely childish and stubborn and makes it no small wonder almost no reasonable discussion goes on here pretty much ever. People can't just have normal conversations about anything cause almost everyone has to be opinionated and over the top as fuck.

Realistically this conversation could go further, I mean I could point out that Sunrise started with the same M.O of producing original content in the 70's to rival the output of Mushi Production where most of their first producers came from. I could point out that the studio hasn't done an adaptation since 2012 for example or that they still produce more originals than adaptations to this day going back to like the late 70's while I believe 5 of the 12 or so TV series P.A Works has managed to make to date have been adaptations but somehow you give the impression that you don't care and will just throw it back in my face MAL style so whatever, believe what you want to believe MAL style. It's all just shit anyway right?

SolvitePriest said:

I haven't had the best luck with them really. The only show I've kind of even been able to finish by them is Another, although Shirobako has been surprisingly decent. Then again I'm not that huge into romance or sentimental stuff so that might be part of the problem. I say all of this realizing this probably makes me an inhuman monster with "wrong opinions" considering this is MAL where people take offense to people not having homogenized taste and will qualify that with saying oh well.....I'm more amused by the fact that people think I care that they don't agree with my opinions on things they take as givens and think I'm a troll and hater for it than anything. Like I don't think people quite appreciate how uniquely MAL that sort of outlook is haha
PeacingOutDec 23, 2014 6:28 PM
Dec 23, 2014 6:11 PM

Jan 2013
the tards saying maeda lost his mojo after angel beats must not know visual novels exist.

it wasnt maeda's fault JC Staff butchered little busters.
Dec 23, 2014 6:29 PM

Oct 2007
SolvitePriest said:
the tards saying maeda lost his mojo after angel beats must not know visual novels exist.

Not everybody thinks Maeda is an amazing writer in the first place. Shocking I know that such things aren't a given.
Dec 23, 2014 6:32 PM
Dec 2014
sanata50lbsb said:
everybody's sittin here worried about the studio and im just worried about what this is gonna be about. i'm hoping for another slice of life type of thing like Clannad/Little Busters.
SolvitePriest said:

"Butchered" sure whatever you need to tell yourself lol.
Dec 23, 2014 6:33 PM

Jan 2013
Kaioshin_Sama said:
SolvitePriest said:

Not everybody thinks Maeda is an amazing writer in the first place. Shocking I know that such things aren't a given.

Everyone knows you are a hipster man. Your credibility is not better than mine.

dmasterxd said:
sanata50lbsb said:
SolvitePriest said:

"Butchered" sure whatever you need to tell yourself lol.

as someone who actually read little busters i can tell you, yes, it was butchered.
Dec 23, 2014 6:45 PM

Oct 2007
SolvitePriest said:

I am positively crushed to learn that my MAL cred is low. Don't know how I'm ever going to get over this in time for Christmas.
Dec 23, 2014 6:47 PM

Jan 2013
Kaioshin_Sama said:
SolvitePriest said:

I am positively crushed to learn that my MAL cred is low. Don't know how I'm ever going to get over this in time for Christmas.

Just saying.

Key bashing is about as hipster as it gets, especially when you havent read the novels.

Now youve got Key Bashing, Sawano bashing, Aniplex bashing AND Urobuchi bashing under your belt.

You might as well pre emptively bash Gintama 2015 at this point.
Dec 23, 2014 7:17 PM

Nov 2011
SolvitePriest said:
as someone who actually read little busters i can tell you, yes, it was butchered.

What about it was butchered? I played most of the LB! VN (everything before Refrain) and it's mostly the same. Komari's arc seemed pretty weak iirc but other than that it seemed okay. The ending was the biggest complaint I've heard in specific.

Legit question; not trying to argue. I've been seeing people say the LB! adaption was bad more often recently and I'm curious why they think so.
Dec 23, 2014 8:04 PM

Oct 2007
SolvitePriest said:
Kaioshin_Sama said:

Just saying.

Key bashing is about as hipster as it gets, especially when you havent read the novels.

Now youve got Key Bashing, Sawano bashing, Aniplex bashing AND Urobuchi bashing under your belt.

I have nothing against KEY in particular, I just don't see the appeal of their stories and think they tend to muddle what little positives they accomplish. Aniplex I think is a greedy company that makes it's employees at A-1 work way too much for horrible pay grades and appeals to the lowest common denominator or whatever will simply sell most while trying to establish itself as a monopoly on content distribution (not necessarily ownership, but more like brokering licenses and publishing deals) and that's before their horrible pricing schemes. Urobuchi I don't particularly hate but just find gets way too much credit for things he didn't even do and has to maintain this perfect image in the eyes of fanboys and it's getting annoying when it comes to having reasonable conversations. I think it's also time the industry moved on from pimping his name everywhere and relying on him especially when it comes to things he's barely involved with and if you read his twitter he seems to think as much too. Also I really like Gintama so there's little chance of that happening.

See I have reasons for my positions on things, it's not just arbitrary hate and in most cases not really hate at all so much as just not necessarily holding the pre-dominant opinions or seeing things in different ways or with more than just one consideration at play. Personally I think it's just MAL's user base having a hard time recognizing how this is not exactly a hate on or hipster attitude because it's just full of people that seem so set in their beliefs who take just about everything personally, literally and in the extreme and when at the end of the day it's all just shows and opinions. As far as I'm concerned I'm actually the moderate guy in most of these conversations but obviously others will continue to see it differently to which all I can say is them's the breaks and oh well.
Dec 23, 2014 8:05 PM

Jan 2013
Kaioshin_Sama said:
SolvitePriest said:

Just saying.

I have nothing against KEY in particular, I just don't see the appeal of their stories and think they tend to muddle what little positives they accomplish. Aniplex I think is a greedy company that makes it's employees at A-1 work way too much for horrible pay grades and appeals to the lowest common denominator or whatever will simply sell most while trying to establish itself as a monopoly on content distribution (not necessarily ownership, but more like brokering licenses and publishing deals) and that's before their horrible pricing schemes. Urobuchi I don't particularly hate but just find gets way too much credit for things he didn't even do and has to maintain this perfect image in the eyes of fanboys and it's getting annoying when it comes to having reasonable conversations. I think it's also time the industry moved on from pimping his name everywhere and relying on him especially when it comes to things he's barely involved with and if you read his twitter he seems to think as much too. Also I really like Gintama so there's little chance of that happening.

See I have reasons for my positions on things, it's not just arbitrary hate and in most cases not really hate at all so much as just not necessarily holding the pre-dominant opinions or seeing things in different ways or with more than just one consideration at play. Personally I think it's just MAL's user base having a hard time recognizing how this is not exactly a hate on or hipster attitude because it's just full of people that seem so set in their beliefs who take just about everything personally, literally and in the extreme and when at the end of the day it's all just shows and opinions. As far as I'm concerned I'm actually the moderate guy in most of these conversations but obviously others will continue to see it differently to which all I can say is them's the breaks and oh well.

I agree with most of what you say. You know that. I'm merely saying most of your beliefs are hipster in nature.
Dec 23, 2014 10:12 PM
Community Admin
sunny moment

May 2010
SolvitePriest said:

So you are going to pretend Nagi no Asukara never happened?

PA Works delivered literally last year.

They also produced a piece of junk earlier that year too, in the form of RDG and it was the same director as NagiAsu. Well the former was an adaptation though, so there's leeway on that.
Anyway, objectively looking at it, they're never sloppy with art and the story material appears to be in good hands so this time I trust it'll be good.

TripleSRank said:
Legit question; not trying to argue. I've been seeing people say the LB! adaption was bad more often recently and I'm curious why they think so.

As a standalone show, the first season was just boring, whether that was from poor pacing or something else, I don't even remember now. Refrain stood just fine and quite well imo. I presume VN readers hated it even more (refrain included) because it didn't live up to the standard of the original. Fair enough, it was lost potential which is never a good thing.
Dec 23, 2014 11:40 PM
May 2013
xbobx said:
Hahalollawl said:

As I don't bookmark every interview I read for further backing, no, I don't have the source link for that.
It's my word supported by the -noticeable- higher amount of original productions while compared to similar (in size) studios.
But it was a staff interview (not sure if it was Horikawa bio, tho) and they were talking about their time working as supportive art/scenario for I.G. and Bee/Bandai. As the name of the company suggest, their intention was to set a new "quality level" for productions, hence the high investment on artwork and soundtrack (there's a nice analysis on it here: http://animeviking.com/2012/04/01/p-a-works-a-studio-still-waiting-to-shine/) and the easiest way to do so, was to not be restricted by adaptations boundaries, where you must follow a certain pattern of style and setting. Being True Tears their first shot (wikipedia wrongly says it's a VN adaptation).

Hmm that's okay then, if it came from a staff interview then that seems credible. I don't want to play favorites too much with studios, but I seem to have a bit of a soft spot for P.A. Works. I think their production quality tends to be particularly good. Can they survive/thrive in this industry though? Original works seem to be more risky in general, and then if you put in a lot of investment into quality and it doesn't sell well, aren't you more likely to lose even more money? It may seem cynical, but conditions in the industry would seem to favor studios that can produce cheap shows.
Dec 24, 2014 12:02 AM

Jun 2013
Hmm.. have to watch it to know how good/bad it will be
Dec 24, 2014 9:08 AM

Jun 2010
Kaioshin_Sama said:
xbobx said:

Step it up buddy.

[Insert "muh knowledge" and "muh e-pen is bigger than yours" here]

Why does MAL always have to be like this mixing subjective with objective without so much as blinking?

Damn, buddy. I don't know!
But I did notice you said "MAL" on your post 6 times, and this is something curious since my post, the one you quoted, do not have anything to do with said "MAL".
Maybe you could do a group research and find an answer for your questioning?
While you are at it, why don't you answer my: Why in the blue hell, would you quote only the punchline of my reply?
I mean... you totally ignored the objective and conclusive part of my reply and the chance to have an interesting discussion, to call me "childish" and argue about the satirical sentence at the end?
Here, let I show it to you again:
xbobx said:
Step it up buddy.

You see? Nobody here is trying to hurt you or your feelings. You can lower your defenses and stop firing insults to society and this community now. You don't need to hijack a news thread to talk about "Sunrise" or "MAL". If you want to discuss those things, create a thread! People will gladly answer you there.
The holidays can be tough for some people, but hey, cheer it up man :)
Merry Christmas!

PS: From P.A.Works series, in the time period of 2008-14, 12 out of 16 (TV, movies, short-movies) are original productions. Hence why I said: has the higher original:adapted ratio of all current active studios on the industry.
Sources: 1, 2, 3.
Dec 24, 2014 9:32 AM

Jun 2013
hmm the PV was removed...
Dec 25, 2014 3:11 PM

Nov 2011
Found this on another site so I'll directly quote some things here but regarding the upcoming series, info revealed so far includes:

Main characters:
Nao Tomori and Yu Otosaka. Nao Tomori (left), the previously revealed character, is the president of the school’s student council. She is a stoic person. She studies very hard and has issues with problematic students. Yu Otosaka (right) is the leading character and hero of the Charlotte anime. He is an honors student that is quite stupid and does not study at all, often using mysterious techniques to cheat.

Other info revealed includes:
- The plot of the anime as a typical Key story. He further compares the series to Angel Beats! where that series was unable to flesh out all the characters. This series will be different as their main focus will be on the characters.
- The main characters of the series will revolve around the student council, where one of them are in a band. There will be two stage performances by the band.
- The anime’s Opening and Ending themes, and the insert songs, will be written and composed by Jun Maeda (Angel Beats! Music & Creator, Clannad Music and Writer).
- The genre of the songs will be rock focusing on women vocals where the voice actresses will be singing.
- The first half of the anime will be more slow paced than Angel Beats! before picking up speed for the second half

Source:
http://www.otakutale.com/2014/charlotte-anime-information-and-characters-revealed/
Dec 25, 2014 3:34 PM

Apr 2013
Stark700 said:
Found this on another site so I'll directly quote some things here but regarding the upcoming series, info revealed so far includes:

Main characters:
Nao Tomori and Yu Otosaka. Nao Tomori (left), the previously revealed character, is the president of the school’s student council. She is a stoic person. She studies very hard and has issues with problematic students. Yu Otosaka (right) is the leading character and hero of the Charlotte anime. He is an honors student that is quite stupid and does not study at all, often using mysterious techniques to cheat.

Other info revealed includes:
- The plot of the anime as a typical Key story. He further compares the series to Angel Beats! where that series was unable to flesh out all the characters. This series will be different as their main focus will be on the characters.
- The main characters of the series will revolve around the student council, where one of them are in a band. There will be two stage performances by the band.
- The anime’s Opening and Ending themes, and the insert songs, will be written and composed by Jun Maeda (Angel Beats! Music & Creator, Clannad Music and Writer).
- The genre of the songs will be rock focusing on women vocals where the voice actresses will be singing.
- The first half of the anime will be more slow paced than Angel Beats! before picking up speed for the second half

Source:
http://www.otakutale.com/2014/charlotte-anime-information-and-characters-revealed/
Confirmed for a two-cour?

Dec 25, 2014 3:57 PM

Nov 2011
Hiryu12 said:
Confirmed for a two-cour?

No.
Dec 26, 2014 2:11 PM

Apr 2009
>Typical Key story

So we can safely say it will be horrible?
Steel Ball Run anime when?
Dec 26, 2014 2:54 PM

Jul 2014
I wish I could say I am excited but I'm not. Air, Kanon, Clannad and Angel Beats! were great (Angel Beats! being the best out of the 4 in my opinion) and then Little Busters! was announced so I was excited, but then I watched it and it kinda sucked. So not really excited for another could be disappointment.
Shocking Truth!
Dec 26, 2014 2:58 PM
*hug noises*

May 2013
HikariDeYami said:
I wish I could say I am excited but I'm not. Air, Kanon, Clannad and Angel Beats! were great (Angel Beats! being the best out of the 4 in my opinion) and then Little Busters! was announced so I was excited, but then I watched it and it kinda sucked. So not really excited for another could be disappointment.
That was JC's fault though, not Key's. Doesn't really mean anything for this project
Dec 26, 2014 8:49 PM
Dec 2014
HikariDeYami said:

Litltle Busters is literally the best Key work lol (both anime and VN)
Dec 26, 2014 9:35 PM
Nov 2010
HikariDeYami said:

Little Busters was by J.C Staff though, so you can't really judge based on that. You have to look at the studio behind the anime.

And Charlotte will be by the same studio (and same writer Jun Maeda) that created Angel Beats. That's why you ought to look forward to it since you enjoyed Angel Beats.

And dmaster, you're like the only one who thinks Little Busters is the best (anime-wise). I personally think Little Busters is just okay. Clannad is still hands down the best of all of Key's anime.
eplipswichDec 26, 2014 9:40 PM
Dec 28, 2014 3:46 AM
Jan 2014
Damn, this will be so good.
Dec 28, 2014 4:13 AM

Oct 2014
Looking forward to it!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 28, 2014 8:15 AM
Jul 2018
I'm a little more interested! Will wait on a PV or more character info to fully decide though.
Dec 28, 2014 8:25 AM

Jan 2013
Angel Beats sucked, but thats because the guy who directed it is a talentless hack.
Dec 28, 2014 11:51 AM

Dec 2013
The script / original work is by Jun Maeda. I think we can expect LOTS of crying moments now.
This will be a 10/10 anime.

"If I don't have to do it, I won't. If I have to do it, I'll make it quick."
-Oreki Houtarou
Dec 28, 2014 5:31 PM
Dec 2012
I feel this anime will be a pathetic remake of Angel beats with more mysterious twists and will probably flop. Unless it has a darker story.
Dec 28, 2014 5:39 PM

Apr 2014
wow angel beat is actually hated

this is news to me
Dec 28, 2014 11:13 PM
Laughing Man

Jun 2012
Eh, well, I haven't seen anything by Key so far. There's always a first time for everything... hopefully it's good.
Dec 28, 2014 11:42 PM

Jun 2009
Moodie said:
wow angel beat is actually hated

this is news to me

Pretty much everything is hated to some degree on this site.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

» 'Kinnikuman: Kanpeki Chоujin Shiso-hen' Unveils Additional Cast, Staff, Second Promo

Hyperion_PS - 10 minutes ago

0 by Hyperion_PS »»
10 minutes ago

» 'Yuru Camp△' Season 3 Announces Additional Cast

Nioxys - 7 hours ago

7 by Gear707 »»
34 minutes ago

» Novel 'Ganbatte Ikimasshoi' Gets Anime Movie

DatRandomDude - Mar 21

5 by kihel »»
45 minutes ago

» 'Dungeon Meshi' Second Cour Reveals Additional Cast, Theme Songs, Third Promo

DatRandomDude - 11 hours ago

4 by RobertBobert »»
5 hours ago

» 'Kusuriya no Hitorigoto' Second Season Announced

Nioxys - Mar 23

18 by Adnash »»
12 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.