Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 21, 2014 4:21 AM

Nov 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
The movie starts with the mission to protect Kondou, and two leaving the team. Is it just me not watching (was listening most of the time) the TV series carefully, or I'm feeling that they changed and added lots of new scenes in this movie. I feel that the guys don't want her to be involved most of time including Hijikata. She's with that oni guy the most of time while not in the war. I like that Heisuke and Hajime, two fav. characters, were together at one point. Hajime also became Rasetsu in this ver.
tsubasaloverDec 22, 2014 7:34 AM
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Jan 9, 2015 7:38 AM
May 2012
tsubasalover said:
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
The movie starts with the mission to protect Kondou, and two leaving the team. Is it just me not watching (was listening most of the time) the TV series carefully, or I'm feeling that they changed and added lots of new scenes in this movie. I feel that the guys don't want her to be involved most of time including Hijikata. She's with that oni guy the most of time while not in the war. I like that Heisuke and Hajime, two fav. characters, were together at one point. Hajime also became Rasetsu in this ver.

The 'oni' guy is called Kazama Chikage. And did u watch it with english sub? Where do u watch it?
Jan 11, 2015 4:08 AM

Aug 2011
nurul23495 said:
The 'oni' guy is called Kazama Chikage. And did u watch it with english sub? Where do u watch it?

You can download the movie and english subs from here.
Feb 15, 2015 12:37 PM
Oct 2012
there's something i can't understand!
the time where the storyline placed in, is it before the tragic anime ending? OR is it taking a whole different time line?
Feb 15, 2015 12:58 PM

Jan 2010
The last scene where they were all reminded was so sad... :(
Denerwować się to mścić się na własnym zdrowiu za głupotę innych.
Feb 15, 2015 3:22 PM

Oct 2009
nu__ said:
there's something i can't understand!
the time where the storyline placed in, is it before the tragic anime ending? OR is it taking a whole different time line?

Both the anime and movies are based on the Visual Novel(Game) which has multiple time lines depending on which choices you make in the game. So to call the movies a different time line from the anime would be correct.

Though honestly the movies had completely new content all together in them, they merged some routes of the Visual Novel AND added new stuff. It was especially pretty neatly done in the second movie in my opinion.

Callisto said:
The last scene where they were all reminded was so sad... :(

..I know.. :(.. it hurt me to watch that. But at least the ending was a bit less.. wrecking than it was in the anime.
Nothing is Completely Useless.
Mar 25, 2015 8:33 AM
Nov 2014
hmm. my ability to evaluate the quality of this film is really hampered by the lack of decent english subs. i could tell that the translation was way, way off in several of the scenes, and some of the translations simply didn't make sense at all.

bearing that in mind, from what i was able to understand of this film, i would have to say it did not live up to the promise of the first film. whereas in the tv series there was a little to much emphasis on the battles, to the extent that i could not follow who the Shinsengumi was fighting and why, this film went to the other extreme. consequently we don't see any of the battles that Hijikata underwent. instead we watch Chizuru journey to reconcile with Hijikata, which made much less compelling viewing, another consequence of this change of focus was that the deaths of the other Shinsengumi were very rushed and lacked any emotional impact.

speaking of Chizuru, her character regressed back to helpless damsel who never tries to defend herself, which was very, very disappointing.

kazama was overused, at the expense of the Shinsengumi characters and his demon associates.

some of the other deaths were really anticlimactic too. i am thinking in particular of Chizuru's father, who died off screen, and her brother.

the fact that Hijikata survived makes a lot more sense, actually, given the pure demon blood transfusion he received, and his final sword fight with Kazama was decent, although i have seen better.

ultimately this is a rather disappointing sequel. 5/10
Mar 29, 2015 10:06 AM

Jul 2009
Well, what a lost of time here...
Chizuru was just a helpess girl, and I don't like when girls are like that...
Hijikata was so boring...
And seems that all the war scenes was kinda for nothing, since we didn't see the end of the war itself...
Kazama was the best thing. 5/10
May 3, 2015 7:19 PM

Oct 2008
Hakuouki is mostly about Hijikata because he's the main boy and the name of the franchise itself is about him.

Needless to say, this movie was more rushed than the first but I still liked it more than S2 of the anime, they animated some key points of Hijikata's route very nice. Of course, in his own route his character is very developed and exposed and the movie couldn't deliver even half of that, but I could feel some emotional impact from it.
I feel that those kind of things are mostly enjoyed by people who played the original VN, but well if you're not a fan of Hijikata then you probably won't like it period lel.

6/10
>User since 2008
Please god help me quit this website.

Such great community that doesn't even know how demographics work, AND gives """detailed"""" reviews after first episodes.

Jun 1, 2015 5:44 PM

Mar 2012
Yeah, had a hell of a time trying to find a stream with decent subs, but I wasn't able to so I wasn't able to understand this one so much...unlike the first one, this felt obviously rushed too

"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment"
Apr 26, 2016 2:02 PM

Jun 2009
The subs were really bad. I'm glad I've been studying Japanese and did much research on the Shinsengumi which helped out a lot to understand the movie more.
The ending was definitely more easy on the heart than the anime series but I still feel so depressed. Many of them, especially Okita suffered such a cruel fate ;w;

I really liked how they ended up putting a part of the Kazama route in it. I accidently played that route on my first game play through n__n
Jun 11, 2016 1:21 PM
Jun 2016
I tought the movies would be just short versions of the series, but glad there was new content ^.^ And the different ending made me really happy...until the end credits came and killed my heart again by showing all the deaths again (still grying). I want moar~ a new prequel, sequel, anything! Quess I'll have to start playing the game...
Nov 18, 2016 10:25 PM
Jan 2015
bittersweetlove said:
Well, what a lost of time here...
Chizuru was just a helpess girl, and I don't like when girls are like that...
Hijikata was so boring...
And seems that all the war scenes was kinda for nothing, since we didn't see the end of the war itself...
Kazama was the best thing. 5/10

Wrong. Chizuru is not at all helpless.
Dec 2, 2016 5:59 PM

Dec 2007
There were exactly 2 reasons that made this film worth watching, 1. hearing them mention HAKODATE, where I used to live and GORYOKAKU, where I used to work. Hearing those 2 names almost brought me to tears, and 2. was the setting of the scene where Hijikata fought this demon guy, it was Goryokaku Kouen, the star-shaped park-fortress in the heart of Hakodate, a gorgeous place

Overall 6/10 for me. Slow-paced with rushed plot, Chizuru as annoying as usual, the music was good though, the story was tried to be consistent, for some reason though, everyone who survived countless battles so far died all of a sudden from minor things just for the drama, but still pretty boys and a good historical background mixed with fantasy, why not? It's less of a waste than many other shows....
Feb 27, 2021 11:25 PM

Dec 2012
Nice to see Ryunosuke again even if only briefly. This second movie certainly didn't disappoint. About on par with its second season counterpart given the time constraints. The different ending also feels like there's a bit more closure. What really grips my heart is how rather than dying tragically or having a heroic final stand, Hijikata will spend his final days in peace with Chizuru after losing everything & everyone from the Shinsengumi. While it's hollowing to think about how much was lost and for what price, that silver lining of being able to live out his final days with the one he loves most is what hits it all home for me.

7.5/10, this is actually making me want to revisit the main series again a bit.

More topics from this board

» Sneak Peak of Movie 2

tsubasalover - Feb 3, 2014

4 by yoite- »»
Nov 18, 2014 3:21 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.