Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jun 15, 2017 9:53 AM
Nov 2015
things start on the same day, for every patient.
When Mayumi throws away the syringe into the bin, they increase from 1 in ep 1 to 6 now.
Jun 15, 2017 9:55 AM
Nov 2015
Miyu Miyu looked so cute. He was barely 20 then.
That voice. Todo!!
Jun 15, 2017 9:57 AM
Nov 2015
penis disorder guy cameo!! So gooooood!! i feel like this is a real world now
Jun 15, 2017 10:03 AM
Nov 2015
Mayumi just so perceptive. brain and body. coooool as fk
Jun 15, 2017 10:05 AM
Nov 2015
OH YEA AAAAA Irabu = I love
Jun 15, 2017 10:18 AM
Nov 2015
KYAAAAAA AFEEEEEEL GOOOOOD FEEEEL SOOO GOOOD!!!
Totally love Irabu now. Totally totally great doctor. The way he doesn't even listen to the kid's problem at the end, and keeps on talking bullshit, but manages to cheer him up anyway. COOOL
May 8, 2019 6:11 PM

Aug 2007
Mayumi is honestly p cool, all things considering.

Jan 13, 2020 11:03 PM

Oct 2012
The realization when you tried to search for your friends but they didn't even care whether you there or not
Actually he's not even invited after Yuri came

I love how learn it the hard way and immediately accepted it that he's alone
"Signature removed"
Feb 10, 2020 9:38 AM

Nov 2016
This was great again.

I think Tsuda is partly to blame for being alone. Instead of gaining satisfaction from contacts and messages on his phone he should've invested time and effort in building relationships with the people around him.

Nowadays with all kinds of social medias it's even worse and you can observe the very same phenomenon in varying degrees on other people.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Aug 20, 2020 2:54 PM

Aug 2017
I just noticed that all this butterfly symbolism is also present on Mayumi's suit.

Woodpecker connection was easy to make, it is known for constantly tapping the tree, and the guy here is also tapping his phone al the time.

Overall nice episode, I appreciate the themes covered, and more Mayumi! Also gotta love all these crossovers between different characters and the same events (coffee spill scene in the restaurant) shown from different perspectives.
Nov 1, 2020 1:12 PM
Jul 2020
this might be my favourite episode so far. my favourite part was the devolopment on mayumi and irabu and the ending made me rlly happy lol
Feb 11, 2021 11:06 PM

May 2020
It's interesting, reading all the posts here. The episode became more relatable for new watchers than it was for the ones who watched it when it came out. It's kinda sad how relevant this episode is, I'd argue even moreso than when it came out.

I do relate a lot to the patient in this episode. Not the cell phone addiction (although there is a little of that) but the need to be be validated by online "friends" or notifications or followers is something I've gone through as well. He didn't seem to get along with his parents very well and combined with being socially awkward, I guess the better he thought his phone "life" was, the better he thought he felt.

I'm really enjoying this show so far.
Jun 29, 2021 2:01 PM

Apr 2009
Interesting, how this episode is even more relevant now. I like this episode the best, the conclusion is really heartwarming. Plus, Mayumi is not just a fanservice character here, she actually got some personality.
Feb 17, 2022 4:19 PM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Phone addiction, this episode didn't age except for how the phones look... though that was rather sad for that boy :S
Mar 27, 2022 5:50 PM

Aug 2012
Back in episode two I predicted Tsuda to be the next patient, I was wrong for episode 3 but I'm glad to say I've been vindicated here. Really love how lived-in this world feels with how many connections there are between all the stories, no matter how small or seemingly trivial.

In terms of cell phone addiction, I'm closer to Irabu & Mayumi's stance than Tsuda's. I have a cellphone but it's begrudgingly, I try not to use it, and it struggles to even run google because it's like 8 years old. Needless to say I didn't relate to this episode, but it still think it worked on an emotional level. It was pretty clear how desperate Tsuda was for friendship/affection/validation, not only for his incessant text checking/sending but his actually dynamic with his "friends" was buying them a bunch of CD's and lending the Drama's, which he likely bought after they mentioned it earlier.

The sobering moment at the end with Karaoke hurt to watch, but the catharsis of Tsuda deleting the social portfolio he created then actually engage with Irabu's text was so satisfying. All of Irabu's texts were really funny too, and I loved how both him and Mayumi were utilized in this episode. Irabu's cellphone thing was one of his most fun gags so far, but I really liked his position of not really fixing it and Fukuicchi's note about not strictly labeling and taking special care of younger patients due to their developing mind.

And damn, Mayumi went straight for the kill with the "You're a pretty sad character" and "You keep chatting because you're terrified someone might find out who you really are". Blunt and direct, but necessary and I liked her kindness near the end of the episode. Also tend to side with her liking being alone thing.
Oct 23, 2022 10:04 PM

Jan 2010
Cell phone addiction. My goodness, talk about topical. I can only imagine how much more relevant this episode would be nowadays, or perhaps more so as mobile technology becomes more and more prevalent and dominant in daily life.

I'm reminded of a certain phenomenon happening in modern society, where certain optical illusions only exist if you're aware of it. Say, seeing three intersecting lines as a corner, but being incapable of telling if it's pointing inwards or outwards. However, if that same illusion were shown to someone unaware of geometry, they might not recognize the illusion and only view it as lines. I also remember an experiment done with a Nambian Himbas tribe where, due to their isolated lifestyle and language, perceived color pallets differently. As language, technology, and cultures continue to change, new psychological phenomenon can develop, which unfortunately include new psychological illnesses and complications.

I'm unsure if some form of cell phone addiction existed prior to cell phones. I'm sure in the past there existed addictions to television, radio, receiving news, or just socializing. However, a key component to cell phone addiction lies in how integrated cell phones have become in daily life, leading to an easier chance for the development of obsessive use. That and its links to materialism and compulsiveness. Still, this episode has Yuta admit underlying issues with social anxiety leading into cell phone addiction, and the episode also mentions that it's sometimes helpful to just observe adolescents patients before attempting to treat or even name any assumed psychological condition they're experiencing. Their symptoms can sometimes change over time, and it's apparently safer to not try to prescribe treatment so long as no one is particularly at risk of harm. I'm skeptical of this approach, but I find it interesting nonetheless.
ShockedOct 23, 2022 11:09 PM
Oct 24, 2022 10:53 AM

Jan 2020
The interesting thing to note here is that Irabu mentions not having a cell phone at the beginning of the episode, but I remember him showing off a new one in an earlier episode. So, the events of each episode might not be in any particular order. Maybe the best way to hazard a guess at the timeline would be to compare the number of needles in the trashcan from episode-to-episode.

"Good for you, you got a reply." I don't know why that was so funny, but it was, lmao.
"Deep down you're a pretty sad character, huh?" This is probably Mayumi's best episode, so far.

Overall, this was a really good episode, though I tend to be mostly annoyed by the idea of cell phone addiction. Even watching the kid this time around was pretty frustrating. Not that he could necessarily help himself, hence the concept of addition. But, I definitely think it's better to experience things for yourself, firsthand rather than through a screen, lens, or filter.

"...Is your mother worried? Would you like us to assign someone to worry your mother?"

Apr 15, 2023 1:00 PM

Nov 2017
Fella has an obsession with his cell phone to say the least. The thought of losing it would cause him to have a mini panic attack. 

Mayne, his "friends" aren't his real friends. He went through going by train to Shibuya and they treated him like that? Naw, he did the right thing by deleting everyone's contact information. Funnily enough, Irabu-sensei showed that even though they didn't know each other for long, he was something of a true friend
Feb 18, 4:52 PM

Dec 2021
shes so real for that
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kuchu Buranko Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tsubasalover - Dec 3, 2009

60 by ManuelFragment »»
Apr 19, 10:34 PM

Poll: » Kuchu Buranko Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tsubasalover - Oct 22, 2009

94 by owonism »»
Feb 18, 1:07 PM

Poll: » Kuchu Buranko Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

tsubasalover - Dec 24, 2009

113 by Destroyer31 »»
Oct 30, 2023 10:34 PM

Poll: » Kuchu Buranko Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

grapeofdeath - Oct 15, 2009

196 by Ronninn »»
Aug 24, 2023 7:30 AM

Poll: » Kuchu Buranko Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tsubasalover - Dec 10, 2009

52 by Starchaser »»
Apr 26, 2023 3:42 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.