Forum Settings
Forums

Is sci-fi anime better if you're scientifically literate?

New
Dec 18, 2014 9:14 PM

Mar 2013

Do you find that your enjoyment of sci-fi anime is better with or without a knowledge of relevant scientific principles?

I can only speak for myself, being fairly scientifically literate. On the one hand, I'm watching UC Gundam series and I'm loving the amount of thought put into the design and construction of the space colonies that makes them seem really believable.

On the other hand, I'm watching the climax of Char's Counterattack and dat moment when I realize that

Of course, when I'm watching Gurren Lagann, I can just not give a shit.

So, do you find a knowledge of science enriches the experience, or are you fine not knowing/caring?

Discuss.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Dec 18, 2014 9:16 PM

Jan 2013
Well when I watch an anime that tries to explain its reasoning with very thin pseudo science, it does feel a bit bothersome.
Dec 18, 2014 9:18 PM

Jan 2013
I like to know new concepts. Yeah at times I go like 'Wat...did they really' but overall I've no problems unless its something like TTGL where I have to switch off my brain for good.
Kagami_Hiiragi said:
Idc if you think its weird, I have a life and friends and an income of money.

Dec 18, 2014 9:19 PM
Nov 2013
I greatly enjoy them, but I give exactly zero fucks about reading real science stuff.
Dec 18, 2014 9:26 PM

Oct 2012
It depends, I think hard sci-fi it enhances the experience because they will almost always justify stuff with real science so having some knowledge will help you understand things better. With Soft Sci-fi it can be a bit of a bother because you can sometimes get explanations which are completely implausible which can hurt your willing suspension of disbelief.
Dec 18, 2014 9:26 PM

Dec 2013
It's actually pretty irritating.

I find myself constantly nitpicking and going, "that doesn't make sense".

When things are put together well then yes it is more enjoyable. There's this great sensation you get when you come across something the writers actually did some research on, or have experience in themselves.

If it's an anime that's doing whatever, then whatever.
If it's an anime that's doing whatever, but then attempts to explain it poorly, we've got a problem.
CakedogDec 18, 2014 9:29 PM
Step Into My Mind - ##&&##&&##&&
Dec 18, 2014 9:30 PM

Jul 2012
I think knowing too much about the science and technical part might hinder your experience with sci-fi shows. Sometimes.
Dec 18, 2014 9:30 PM

Oct 2014
Cakedog said:
It's actually pretty irritating.

I find myself constantly nitpicking and going, "that doesn't make sense".

When things are put together well then yes it is more enjoyable. There's this great sensation you get when you come across something the writers actually did some research on, or have experience in themselves.

If it's an anime that's doing whatever, then whatever.
If it's an anime that's doing whatever, but then attempts to explain it poorly, we've got a problem.
Dec 18, 2014 9:33 PM

Jan 2009
Valvrave has Dyson Sphere lol and its bullshit because a Dyson Sphere is suppose to enclose an entire star like the sun but in the case of Valvrave i do not know how they can call that Dyson Sphere, and also if you have technology like a Dyson Sphere that means there will be laser guns already instead in Valvrave they still have bullet shooting guns

and also the major problem i have with Gundam or any futuristic shows that are suppose to have advance tech is that they still have schools, its like this science fiction writers of japan do not know about Matrix like learning where you just plug in information directly to your brain

i say if you know science or just following advancement of science through news everyday then you will criticize some science fiction especially on anime
Dec 18, 2014 9:36 PM

May 2012
No, I imagine you will be more critical. I am a psychology major and when I see psychologically inaccurate shit, like the entirety of mirai nikki and elfen lied it pisses me off. But when I see shit like Kuuchuu Buranko and Evangelion, I like that shit.
Dec 18, 2014 9:38 PM

Jan 2013
PoeticJustice said:
I am a psychology major .

I better watch what I say to you from now on.

Kagami_Hiiragi said:

Dec 18, 2014 9:39 PM

Jan 2009
Dec 18, 2014 9:40 PM

Nov 2014
No, it does not. It makes it harder to watch, in fact. But if you can seperate fiction from reality, it is pretty enjoyable since I always go OMG REFERENCE like in Steins;Gate and in the Railgun series.

Dec 18, 2014 9:41 PM

May 2012
Zophrosyne said:
PoeticJustice said:
I am a psychology major .

It has been way too late.

Dec 18, 2014 9:42 PM
Nov 2008
it's science-fiction. lol.
Dec 18, 2014 9:47 PM

Jan 2013
PoeticJustice said:
Zophrosyne said:

It has been way too late.

All the years of mathematics for nothing *sigh*
Kagami_Hiiragi said:

Dec 18, 2014 9:47 PM

Jan 2010
Either you'd get a really big kick out of watching concepts you know by heart be integrated into a story, or you'd be offended that a show is just spewing crap that you can't help but notice. Hopefully it's the former.
Dec 18, 2014 9:49 PM

Aug 2013
I don't think so considering I didn't have any knowledge of the Hugh Everett's Many-Worlds Interpretation and Schrödinger's cat yet I still enjoyed Noein. The concept of the anime was easy to understand without any scientific knowledge.
Dec 18, 2014 9:49 PM

May 2012
Zergneedsfood said:
PoeticJustice said:
No, I imagine you will be more critical. I am a psychology major and when I see psychologically inaccurate shit, like the entirety of mirai nikki and elfen lied it pisses me off. But when I see shit like Kuuchuu Buranko and Evangelion, I like that shit.
What do you think of movies like A Clockwork Orange or Memento that are lauded for incredibly accurate psychological portrayals? :O

Also I never knew you were a psychology major. TIL

Memento is a very accurate depiction of retrograde amnesia imo. Haven't seen A Clockwork Orange. HOW CAN I CALL MYSELF A KUBRICK FAN!!?

People don't know bruh, until they are telling me all their secrets. Aren't you an engineer major?
Dec 18, 2014 9:50 PM

Aug 2014
I dunno I suppose it'll give more things to criticise.

Doesn't Terra Formars gets shit on partly due it's pathetic pseudo science?
Dec 18, 2014 9:50 PM

Oct 2012
I do have to say that my area of technical expertise isn't particularly useful because the way they use AI in Sci-Fi could be plausible but we're just absolutely nowhere near the point in the field where we can say for sure.
Dec 18, 2014 9:52 PM

Aug 2008
As an engineer,no.
But it's important to remember that a movie review is subjective;it only gives you one person's opinion.

http://www.classzone.com/books/lnetwork_gr08/page_build.cfm?content=analyz_media&ch=30

It doesn't matter if you like LoGH,Monster etc.If you are a jobless or college/school dropout living in your mom basement, you are still an unintelligent loser. Taste in anime does not make you a better person.If elitist don't exist, casual pleb and shit taste also don't exist.
Dec 18, 2014 9:54 PM

Jan 2013
PoeticJustice said:
Zergneedsfood said:
What do you think of movies like A Clockwork Orange or Memento that are lauded for incredibly accurate psychological portrayals? :O

Also I never knew you were a psychology major. TIL

Memento is a very accurate depiction of retrograde amnesia imo. Haven't seen A Clockwork Orange. HOW CAN I CALL MYSELF A KUBRICK FAN!!?

People don't know bruh, until they are telling me all their secrets. Aren't you an engineer major?

Just read Clockwork Orange. I like the english in that (It suits my poor engrish. Well I'm poor in everything except maths, probably). @__@

Memento is Nolan's best movie. *whistles*
Kagami_Hiiragi said:

Dec 18, 2014 9:55 PM

Jan 2014
Maybe? Or maybe not.

I don't think I've ever watched a sci-fi anime before.
Dec 18, 2014 9:55 PM

Mar 2013
j0x said:
Valvrave has Dyson Sphere lol and its bullshit because a Dyson Sphere is suppose to enclose an entire star like the sun but in the case of Valvrave i do not know how they can call that Dyson Sphere, and also if you have technology like a Dyson Sphere that means there will be laser guns already instead in Valvrave they still have bullet shooting guns

But in fairness I think Dyson's original concept did not require you to entirely enclose the star with a physical shell; you just need to capture the bulk of the energy released.

PoeticJustice said:

Well, your first mistake is taking those shows seriously enough to be pissed off in the first place. A more interesting exercise is probably delving into the minds of the creators.

dity said:

fiction =/= completely divorced from reality. Hard sci-fi is a thing, after all.

Zapredon said:
As an engineer,no.

I once tried studying the design of various UC mobile suits from an engineering perspective and quickly realized that the designs were completely nonsensical.
Dec 18, 2014 9:57 PM

May 2012
Zophrosyne said:
PoeticJustice said:

Just read Clockwork Orange. I like the english in that (It suits my poor engrish. Well I'm poor in everything except maths, probably). @__@

Memento is Nolan's best movie. *whistles*

Depends on how long the book is, I may pick it up.

MEMENTO IS KING. Forget INCEPTION.
Dec 18, 2014 9:59 PM

May 2012
Zergneedsfood said:
I'm a finance major. And by finance I mean I hate finance and wish I did an English major.

Can you psychoanalyze me now?

English minor here :3. You wanna be a professor or something?

And lol, I would actually need to have face to face conversations in order to analyze you better. And even then, I am not a psychologist yet, so you can take my observations with a grain of salt :3
Dec 18, 2014 9:59 PM

Jan 2013
PoeticJustice said:

Depends on how long the book is, I may pick it up.

MEMENTO IS KING. Forget INCEPTION.

The book's short, or medium. It depends on what's your conception of 'big'.
Kagami_Hiiragi said:

Dec 18, 2014 10:00 PM

Oct 2012
Zergneedsfood said:
Feaor said:
I do have to say that my area of technical expertise isn't particularly useful because the way they use AI in Sci-Fi could be plausible but we're just absolutely nowhere near the point in the field where we can say for sure.
You study artificial intelligence? o__O

Or is it like robotics in general. That's pretty nifty whichever it is.

I think in a way I appreciate technologies that are farther out in the future (or at the very least they look different from our immediate surroundings) simply because there's a very easy way of just writing off the science by means of technological development or whatever. Stuff that feels closer to home (Interstellar for instance) that attempts a sci-fi feel might make it harder to accept the science unless the science itself shouldn't be taken seriously (like Steins;Gate).

Yea I have a Masters in AI, I could do a PhD but I'm kinda burnt out after being in school for like 18 straight years. My focus is on Machine Learning specifically for Spoken Dialogue Systems, which are like your Google Now, Siri, Cortana, etc. type systems. Its really cool stuff and I love it a lot, much better than EE which I have my Bachelors in.
Dec 18, 2014 10:07 PM

Mar 2013
I used to think robotics was cool.

Then I had to design 2 robots and build 1.

I don't think robotics is cool anymore.
Dec 18, 2014 10:09 PM

Jan 2013
What about sci fi books?
Something like Fahrenheit 451, Childhood' End or something along those lines.

Does anyone really focus on the actual mechanisms behind the scientific theories or stuff? I think novels have an advantage (or disadvantage), depends on how you look it, is that there is a bigger scope of storytelling and hence the authors needs to elaborate on the sci-fi parts and as a result, are more susceptible to get caught if something on the levels of 'wtf..' happens.

Zerg help me here. :3
Kagami_Hiiragi said:

Dec 18, 2014 10:11 PM

Mar 2014
Is it possible to remove your brain and have a chip instead?
Is it possible to inject nanobots into the air to and have multiple brain chips which would basically make you immortal?

May 2012
Zergneedsfood said:
No, I would just prefer reading books all day instead of learning about finance, which I think is more practical but boring and uninteresting to me. zzz

I'm also an English minor. :P

Also, I think I would dislike contemporary lit theory, so that might also drive me insane if I go too deeply into academia.

As long as you are happy yo, you should do what you love imo. You are good writer, I think you would be a good english professor or author. WRITE ME A DYSTOPIAN NOVEL.

What does contemporary lit deal with?

Jan 2014
dity said:

What Pearl said.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Dec 18, 2014 10:13 PM

Jan 2013
sullynathan said:
Is it possible to inject nanobots into the air to and have multiple brain chips which would basically make you immortal?

Why would you go to such lengths to become immortal?
Just summon a devil when you're on a ship.
Easy.
Kagami_Hiiragi said:

Dec 18, 2014 10:14 PM

Oct 2012
Zergneedsfood said:
Feaor said:
Yea I have a Masters in AI, I could do a PhD but I'm kinda burnt out after being in school for like 18 straight years. My focus is on Machine Learning specifically for Spoken Dialogue Systems, which are like your Google Now, Siri, Cortana, etc. type systems. Its really cool stuff and I love it a lot, much better than EE which I have my Bachelors in.
That's awesome. I didn't even know there were specifically Masters in Artificial Intelligence. It does sound like an exciting field to be a part of. O___o

Now that I think about anime though....not really a lot of instances of artificial intelligence I can just list off the top of my head. Obviously there were the AI in Ergo Proxy. Eve no Jikan kind of counts if you consider the robots/AI synonymous. Chobits?....where else have I seen AI I feel like I should have seen more.

Well with people like Hawking and Musk calling AI the end of humanity it will be interesting to see how people tackle the subject in the future. The philosophical ramifications are certainly a though provoking topic and there is a lot of room to explore, I'm hoping more people run with it now that it is a much more present issue.

Yea I don't know how many other schools offer it, most just offer general CS degrees where I guess you could specialize in it or something. I went to school in the UK for it so that could be the reason.
Dec 18, 2014 10:15 PM

Mar 2014
Zophrosyne said:
sullynathan said:

Why would you go to such lengths to become immortal?
Just summon a devil when you're on a ship.
Easy.

Come on now, this isn't baccano.
I'm talking about Sci-fi. The goal wasn't to be immortal but to test the depths of nanotechnology.
Would it be possible?
Dec 18, 2014 10:25 PM

Jan 2013
Zergneedsfood said:
Zophrosyne said:
What about sci fi books?
Something like Fahrenheit 451, Childhood' End or something along those lines.

Does anyone really focus on the actual mechanisms behind the scientific theories or stuff? I think novels have an advantage (or disadvantage), depends on how you look it, is that there is a bigger scope of storytelling and hence the authors needs to elaborate on the sci-fi parts and as a result, are more susceptible to get caught if something on the levels of 'wtf..' happens.

Zerg help me here. :3
Yea. There are quite a few. I know I bag on him a lot, but Michael Crichton actually was an MD so his writing in Jurassic Park at the very least tried to be pretty detailed as far as the biology was concerned and it kind of shows. Same thing with some of his other works like Andromeda Strain and Next.

Hmm, trying to search my memory right now, but there's stuff like Neuromancer and Snow Crash which try to be pretty accurate with all the science stuff, but both those works are just more kind of crazy and wild than trying to be majorly accurate.

I guess Hyperion is a great example of hard sci-fi in that it delves pretty deeply into varying scientific phenomena (Hyperion is also a book I'd recommend to everybody who is interested in science fiction novels).

Dune would be a fantastic example as well (even though Dune's more like a fantasy epic with a sci-fi backdrop) in a few ways.

I really liked Hyperion. The way it used multiple time lines was pretty good.
I still need to read the next one in the series. :/
Kagami_Hiiragi said:

Dec 18, 2014 10:28 PM

Mar 2011
Not rly. It's good exercise, though
Dec 18, 2014 10:31 PM

Jan 2013
Zergneedsfood said:
Just read Fall of Hyperion. No need to read Cantos 3 and 4 because they are essentially just big retcons. My roommate likes them but just advises me that they're completely different.

Read Fall of Hyperion for closure. It doesn't have the benefit of being unique like Hyperion (omg Hyperion why are you so good), but it's still the same universe and the ending of the story is pretty great.

I should reread Hyperion. It's so good. Easily top two sci-fi that I've read.

I think Hyperion and Clockwork Orange comes in my top 2. I haven't read much sci-fi stuff though, need to work on that.
Kagami_Hiiragi said:

Dec 18, 2014 10:37 PM

Mar 2013
Zergneedsfood said:
If you need sci-fi recs let me know what you're looking for. I probably will have something hopefully.

Would you rec Jurassic Park?
Dec 18, 2014 10:37 PM

Jan 2013
Zergneedsfood said:
Clockwork Orange is great too. :3

If you need sci-fi recs let me know what you're looking for. I probably will have something hopefully.

I actually read this book this year called A Canticle for Leibowitz. It's about a bunch of Catholic monks who are rediscovering history after the world got fucked by nukes.

It was very good. :3

Ooh the synopsis looks interesting.
I have been reading two books from the sci-fi genre recently, Old Man's War and Stranger in a Strange Land. I'll catch on Leibowitz after I'm done with those.
Kagami_Hiiragi said:

Dec 18, 2014 10:41 PM

May 2012
@Zergneedsfood

I feel bad, I have never read a James Joyce book <.<

Damn bruh, you made me notice that as well about english courses. Literally all the same themes, and the same coming of age story. MY LIFE WILL NEVER BE THE SAME.

Gender Queer Theory in literary criticism? That sounds....misplaced.
Dec 18, 2014 10:43 PM

Jan 2013
PJ have you read Gone Girl?
How good/realistic is it would you say from a psychological point of view?
Kagami_Hiiragi said:

Dec 18, 2014 11:03 PM

Mar 2013
Zergneedsfood said:
fst said:
Would you rec Jurassic Park?
Sure. As much as I bag on Michael Crichton, I still enjoy some of his books and I think they're worth reading.

What's your beef with Crichton anyways?
Dec 18, 2014 11:13 PM

May 2012
Zophrosyne said:
PJ have you read Gone Girl?
How good/realistic is it would you say from a psychological point of view?

I have seen gone girl. I would say it is alright at portraying sociopathy. A bit exaggerated imo.
Dec 18, 2014 11:19 PM

Dec 2013
As you mentioned, I think it can serve to either enhance or....completely spoil one's appreciation. As a personal aside, I'll admit that PP2's
caused my physiology and biochem degrees to cringe...
Dec 18, 2014 11:29 PM

Mar 2013
Gymkata said:
As you mentioned, I think it can serve to either enhance or....completely spoil one's appreciation. As a personal aside, I'll admit that PP2's
caused my physiology and biochem degrees to cringe...

fo sho.

Dec 18, 2014 11:31 PM

Apr 2014
Not really. Since most sci-fi deal with technology or sciences that don't even exist.
Dec 18, 2014 11:40 PM

Nov 2012
My knowledge in science is pretty lacking, but I don't think it takes from the experience. The movie Lucy for example; many people faulted it for basing it's premise off false psychology, but I thoroughly enjoyed it despite knowing that.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Favorite Spring 2024 OP/ED?

Serafos - Apr 15

21 by AE-2 »»
6 minutes ago

Poll: » Best kind of relationship in anime?

IpreferEcchi - Apr 22

14 by luckyrune »»
27 minutes ago

Poll: » Bare feet or pantyhoses?

Absurdo_N - 11 hours ago

22 by Piromysl »»
1 hour ago

» Credit cards companies are forcing the Hentai industry

Dije - Yesterday

47 by Piromysl »»
2 hours ago

» Things you are jealous of in anime

IpreferEcchi - Apr 20

44 by Azuchi »»
2 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.