Forum Settings
Forums

Profile: Add Gender Option for Non-Binary People [Accepted]

New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (6) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 »
May 7, 2015 4:05 PM
Jul 2018
Veronin said:
oktavia-12 said:
They don't need scientific proof.

Okay, you're beyond reason. Conversation over.

Can you disprove their gender identity scientifically? That's just as important a question, and here's a hint: you can't. No scientific proof leaning one way or the other yet. You know what that means? We can't rely on science right this moment. Hence I suggest that in the meantime, we go for the empathetic and humane route of treating them however will make them happier.
May 7, 2015 4:07 PM

May 2014
Ulquiorra1923 said:
Stop being so stupid and put your real gender there, who do you think will care about it anyway?
There are some who don't even believe if you put your real gender or not.
Its more stupid to leave it without anything, are you a alien or a plant?
Im an alien plant you oppressive shitlord!
Kenjataimu mode status: 恒久
May 7, 2015 4:13 PM

Feb 2013
Kenjataimu said:
Ulquiorra1923 said:
Stop being so stupid and put your real gender there, who do you think will care about it anyway?
There are some who don't even believe if you put your real gender or not.
Its more stupid to leave it without anything, are you a alien or a plant?
Im an alien plant you oppressive shitlord!

Put that in your profile description to let us now.
I guess you also have tentacles, it must be nice..
May 7, 2015 4:22 PM

Nov 2014
Lemongrope said:
Agreed. Having a drop down list for gender on sites like this just feels so useless. Just have a blank box and let people write whatever they want...
May 7, 2015 4:30 PM

Feb 2008
DrCoppelius said:
Veronin said:

Can you disprove their gender identity scientifically? That's just as important a question, and here's a hint: you can't. No scientific proof leaning one way or the other yet. You know what that means? We can't rely on science right this moment. Hence I suggest that in the meantime, we go for the empathetic and humane route of treating them however will make them happier.

Well, you're right, it is impossible to disprove something that has no evidence it exists in the first place. So I think the reasonable route would be to have the one claiming something exists to first provide evidence that it does, since it's impossible for there to be any discussion otherwise.

And especially challenging the entire nature of humanity would require some hard evidence in order to convince people, I think. It's certainly not common sense so it should not be treated as such. They're outliers acting like they are the majority. 'Feelings' aren't enough to change that.

I don't think these people should be discriminated against, but I would personally classify them as confused people rather than genderqueer or what have you.
May 7, 2015 4:41 PM
Jul 2018
Veronin said:
Well, you're right, it is impossible to disprove something that has no evidence it exists in the first place. So I think the reasonable route would be to have the one claiming something exists to first provide evidence that it does, since it's impossible for there to be any discussion otherwise.

And especially challenging the entire nature of humanity would require some hard evidence in order to convince people, I think. It's certainly not common sense so it should not be treated as such. They're outliers acting like they are the majority. 'Feelings' aren't enough to change that.

I don't think these people should be discriminated against, but I would personally classify them as confused people rather than genderqueer or what have you.

The thing is, it's not as simple as providing evidence it's real or vice-versa because if it is real, then it's in the brain, and we don't really understand how the brain and genetics work just yet. You can't just say, 'Here, provide proof' and expect them to go and scan their brain and come back with proof. That's silly. We'll still have to wait years before we understand gender scientifically. I'm not against people saying that 'genderqueer' isn't scientific, but I'm against people bringing up science in this argument when it's essentially a factor that weighs neither way. And common sense proves nothing either.

As for you saying they're outliers acting like they're the majority, they're not. They're just asking to be treated as they consider proper instead of being patronized and called 'confused'. That's not hard to do, it wouldn't hurt anyone, it would make some people happy, and you can't prove scientifically they're wrong in their beliefs. So what's the drawback?
May 7, 2015 5:37 PM

Feb 2008
DrCoppelius said:
The thing is, it's not as simple as providing evidence it's real or vice-versa because if it is real, then it's in the brain, and we don't really understand how the brain and genetics work just yet. You can't just say, 'Here, provide proof' and expect them to go and scan their brain and come back with proof. That's silly. We'll still have to wait years before we understand gender scientifically. I'm not against people saying that 'genderqueer' isn't scientific, but I'm against people bringing up science in this argument when it's essentially a factor that weighs neither way. And common sense proves nothing either.

As for you saying they're outliers acting like they're the majority, they're not. They're just asking to be treated as they consider proper instead of being patronized and called 'confused'. That's not hard to do, it wouldn't hurt anyone, it would make some people happy, and you can't prove scientifically they're wrong in their beliefs. So what's the drawback?

I think neuroscience could make a compelling argument for either case. Being banged on the head can wreck a part of the brain and cause a complete personality change in the person, for example. It could be something similar - maybe a slight mutation with the brain explains why some people believe they're the other gender or something in-between. Or maybe not, and it's actually a completely normal thought process. It's true that we aren't yet at the level where science is advanced enough to explain gender, as you've said. My point is just that it's possible. You could make a scientific/factual argument, and I hope that if it does and if these other genders are proven to be an aberration, that all the talk of 'feelings' will disappear.

These people can be treated properly without believing they're some fancy pantsy genderpansexualandroqueer. I don't believe God exists but I don't think Christian people are idiots for believing that. I just think they're mistaken, just like I think the idea of a third or 27th gender is mistaken. Maybe I could rephrase my posts so it's clear I'm making an opinion rather than stating facts, but the same can be said for some of these Tumblr girls like Ms. Definition Lady who believes other genders are so obviously true that they don't even need proof.

You can give these people the 'other' tag on MAL to identify themselves. I don't mind. Whatever. I just dislike it when the people who don't want it are treated as horrible, illogical monsters or something.
VeroninMay 7, 2015 5:42 PM
May 7, 2015 6:01 PM
Jul 2018
Veronin said:
I think neuroscience could make a compelling argument for either case. Being banged on the head can wreck a part of the brain and cause a complete personality change in the person, for example. It could be something similar - maybe a slight mutation with the brain explains why some people believe they're the other gender or something in-between. Or maybe not, and it's actually a completely normal thought process. It's true that we aren't yet at the level where science is advanced enough to explain gender, as you've said. My point is just that it's possible. You could make a scientific/factual argument, and I hope that if it does and if these other genders are proven to be an aberration, that all the talk of 'feelings' will disappear.

These people can be treated properly without believing they're some fancy pantsy genderpansexualandroqueer. I don't believe God exists but I don't think Christian people are idiots for believing that. I just think they're mistaken, just like I think the idea of a third or 27th gender is mistaken. Maybe I could rephrase my posts so it's clear I'm making an opinion rather than stating facts, but the same can be said for some of these Tumblr girls like Ms. Definition Lady who believes other genders are so obviously true that they don't even need proof.

You can give these people the 'other' tag on MAL to identify themselves. I don't mind. Whatever. I just dislike it when the people who don't want it are treated as horrible, illogical monsters or something.

Yeah, that last part is fine by me. I prefer civilized discussion anyway and name-calling accomplishes nothing. I'd much rather convince people than yell at them and I'll only be tempted to do the later if others are already acting inflammatory.

The mutation part--that's basically what I believe (suspect?) actually, but I don't think other genders being a mutation or an aberration means we should say it doesn't exist. That's a little bit like saying we should pretend that someone born with an extra finger was born with five because having five fingers is more normal. But as I've said, science is for now irrelevant in my opinion so I'll leave that aside.

Lastly, I understand the Christian analogy, however if you want to take a bit further then here: right now, it's as though we have a section for religion (gender) in our profile and we're allowed two options: Christian (male), Muslim (female) and not specified. And right now people are complaining that they believe in other things (are another gender) and they'd like more options. And I don't think we should reject that. Really, if you're offended by Hinduism (genderqueers), then just ignore them, right?
May 7, 2015 7:01 PM

Sep 2010
Please, explain, how not havin' an option to identify gender on an anime site can hurt anyone. If it can't, than all your "humanitarian" arguments are in vain 'cause here Occam's razor comes in action. MAL's already enough complicated and bugged, any other unnecessary "improvements" only makes things worse. There is nice principle equally workin' for machines as well busyness - it's better to have few specialized entities than try to cram all possible in one, you either have few perfect entities or one fucked up. You can't appeal to all, you can't please all, so it's better to concentrate on specific auditory. That's an anime site, not datin' or social network.

There is such thing as shit taste. Only idiots think that every "work of art" should have the same value.

Persona anime are good. Deal with it.
May 7, 2015 7:17 PM
Jul 2018
kitsune0 said:
Please, explain, how not havin' an option to identify gender on an anime site can hurt anyone. If it can't, than all your "humanitarian" arguments are in vain 'cause here Occam's razor comes in action. MAL's already enough complicated and bugged, any other unnecessary "improvements" only makes things worse. There is nice principle equally workin' for machines as well busyness - it's better to have few specialized entities than try to cram all possible in one, you either have few perfect entities or one fucked up. You can't appeal to all, you can't please all, so it's better to concentrate on specific auditory. That's an anime site, not datin' or social network.

Well, some people could feel ostracized that they can't identify what they consider their proper gender when the majority of people can. I don't care if people can't identify their gender, but I think it should be equal. Either everyone can or no one can and people have to do it in their About Me. If you consider it useless then you shouldn't be using it (and yet I noticed you specified you're a dude on your profile).

Anyway, saying it has to be simple is silly. A blank box you can fill out is very, very simple to use, and to code I'm sure.

Lastly: many people use this as a social network. Forums are social. Casual discussion especially, and it's one of the most active.
May 7, 2015 7:49 PM

Jul 2013
The "About me" is also blank, people can put w/e they want there. So they have options to specify their supposed gender.
May 7, 2015 8:42 PM

Mar 2009
Yes, but why make people do that when there's a gender box. No one wants to talk about the intimate details of their gender on an about me, hence probably why a lot of the 'Not Specified's are so.

For those of you against it, here's an appeal: it could make it easier for you to avoid weirdo queers or something like that.

On a social site it is nice to 1 be able to identify who you are 2 make it so that if someone has an issue/you have an issue with something in their profile they just won't talk to you/you won't talk to them.
May 7, 2015 8:52 PM

Nov 2014
Why? So that no one would know that you are a female weeaboo?
I categorize into:
Male=most likely male.
Female=probably female
Not Specified=female weeaboo/homosexual
ExTemplarMay 7, 2015 8:57 PM

May 8, 2015 12:55 AM

Sep 2010
DrCoppelius said:
Well, some people could feel ostracized that they can't identify what they consider their proper gender when the majority of people can.
Some people always feel down and even ass-pull some smart words about it, like "depressed" or "ostracized", while actually none of this words has anything with reality (hint: look definition of "ostracism"). And this people called "sore losers". Just as I say, you can't appeal to all, so let's focus on specific group, and see, it just happens to be that the majority of anime watchers are pretty much normal people, not some plush furry perverts.
DrCoppelius said:
If you consider it useless then you shouldn't be using it (and yet I noticed you specified you're a dude on your profile).
I never said that it's useless. And I specified my gender only because it annoys me when I see "Not specified" on my profile. Also, here you accidentally slipped that you're mixed "gender" and "sex". "Dude" is not a gender.
DrCoppelius said:
Lastly: many people use this as a social network. Forums are social. Casual discussion especially, and it's one of the most active.
Forums are not, profile's comments section are. Especially "Casual discussions" that even are more anonymous imageboard that any other sections of MAL's forum, and that says a lot. If by "active" you mean "populated only by most active admitted trolls" - than sure, but trolls don't need "Gender" option, they don't need profile at all.

There is such thing as shit taste. Only idiots think that every "work of art" should have the same value.

May 8, 2015 3:24 AM

Sep 2013
DrCoppelius said:
Veronin said:

Then why don't we accept the delusions of paranoid shizophrenics or people with dissociative identity disorder as well? I mean, can you prove that their delusions are not real? I'm sure they would prefer it if people believed them too.

Whether it'd be actually good for them is a different matter though. That also applies to transgenders.
Proud founder of the 20+ virgins club.

Please visit my manga blog for manga updates and more!

Mup da doo didda po mo muhfuggen bix nood

^ Need someone who can translate this. Pm me pls.
May 8, 2015 9:19 AM
Jul 2018
kitsune0 said:
Some people always feel down and even ass-pull some smart words about it, like "depressed" or "ostracized", while actually none of this words has anything with reality (hint: look definition of "ostracism"). And this people called "sore losers". Just as I say, you can't appeal to all, so let's focus on specific group, and see, it just happens to be that the majority of anime watchers are pretty much normal people, not some plush furry perverts.
I never said that it's useless. And I specified my gender only because it annoys me when I see "Not specified" on my profile. Also, here you accidentally slipped that you're mixed "gender" and "sex". "Dude" is not a gender.
Forums are not, profile's comments section are. Especially "Casual discussions" that even are more anonymous imageboard that any other sections of MAL's forum, and that says a lot. If by "active" you mean "populated only by most active admitted trolls" - than sure, but trolls don't need "Gender" option, they don't need profile at all.

You are wrong when you say the website cannot appeal to everyone. It can: blank box that you fill out. You are comparing genderqueers to plush furry perverts: nothing to do with each other. One is a fetish, the other a gender (imaginary or not). You may be right that ostracized is the wrong word: hurt, bothered, excluded, not recognized. Whatever. They won't be happy.
You are complaining I called you a dude. Not too sure what you mean by I mixed gender and sex, but whatever. I apologize for my informal language. I noticed you are of male gender. Happy?
Synonyms of socializing: interacting, conversing, mingling. People respond to each other on forums, they joke around, express their opinions. They interact. Seems like socializing to me.
Shiratori, that is none of your business. I am sure you feel no need when you see schizophrenics to correct them in their delusions, and I don't see why you feel the need to correct genderqueers in their 'delusions'.
I think I may end the discussion now because I feel like I'm taking over the thread and I also suspect this conversation is leading nowhere.
May 8, 2015 3:15 PM

Sep 2010
DrCoppelius said:
You are wrong when you say the website cannot appeal to everyone. It can: blank box that you fill out.
No, there will be ones that will complain "Why do we need to write something here by ourselves, why can't you just make some drop-down menu, it'll be much more easy for us to do".
DrCoppelius said:
You are comparing genderqueers to plush furry perverts: nothing to do with each other. One is a fetish, the other a gender (imaginary or not).
You don't know who furry (furfags, in AIB terms) are? They considered themselves not humans and usually are very hard-headed about it. So yes, they are very similar, they both very vocal and demandin' about who they "really' are.
DrCoppelius said:
hurt, bothered, excluded, not recognized. Whatever. They won't be happy.
And MAL is what, charity psychological help center? Someone somewhere always be unhappy about somethin'.
DrCoppelius said:
You are complaining I called you a dude. Not too sure what you mean by I mixed gender and sex, but whatever. I apologize for my informal language. I noticed you are of male gender. Happy?
Not complainin', just makin' a remark, there is no need to apology 'cause no harm done. But I appreciate you soft approach.
DrCoppelius said:
Synonyms of socializing: interacting, conversing, mingling. People respond to each other on forums, they joke around, express their opinions. They interact. Seems like socializing to me.
Erm, "socializing" and "social network" are not synonyms.

May 8, 2015 5:21 PM
Jul 2018
kitsune0 said:
You don't know who furry (furfags, in AIB terms) are? They considered themselves not humans and usually are very hard-headed about it. So yes, they are very similar, they both very vocal and demandin' about who they "really' are.

....Bah, I'm definitely done. Screw the Internet. I've seen some genderqueers that appeared to me to be perfectly normal human beings with a quirk (so-to-speak) and so I've always held the viewpoint that there's nothing wrong with it, but with the existence of people like that it's no wonder people don't believe in it.
May 8, 2015 7:12 PM

Feb 2013
Just adding my support to OP's original request. This isn't the 1930s anymore.

... the haters.

Adding that even the extremely conservative Facebook as included such feature and put an end to the idiotic debate a few years ago.
DmpstrbabyMay 8, 2015 7:16 PM
May 8, 2015 7:18 PM

Sep 2013
Dmpstrbaby said:

Wow, I can't even...

This is 2015 and people who disagree with me still exist? smh

Dmpstrbaby said:

Adding that even the extremely conservative Facebook as included such feature and put an end to the idiotic debate a few years ago.

Faceberg is conservative?

May 8, 2015 8:10 PM

Feb 2013
Shiratori99 said:
Dmpstrbaby said:

Wow, I can't even...

This debate is old and pretty much all the bigoted argument have already been debunked. Just because something is new & confusing doesn't make it wrong.

You might want to look up the reason why ppl are demanding this before forming an "opinion". Browsing itspronouncedmetrosexual.com or this PC lexicon http://bit.ly/1Qv4OXt would be a good start.

As for ideas for the devs I believe that option 2 may be the best choice: http://bit.ly/1EWg4XE
& a nice post about a contemporary way to view the Sex menu: http://bit.ly/1Iqk3hJ
May 8, 2015 8:14 PM

Sep 2013
Dmpstrbaby said:
Shiratori99 said:

Wow, I can't even...

This debate is old and pretty much all the bigoted argument have already been debunked. Just because something is new & confusing doesn't make it wrong.

You might want to look up the reason why ppl are demanding this before forming an "opinion". Browsing itspronouncedmetrosexual.com or this PC lexicon http://bit.ly/1Qv4OXt would be a good start.

As for ideas for the devs I believe that option 2 may be the best choice: http://bit.ly/1EWg4XE
& a nice post about a contemporary way to view the Sex menu: http://bit.ly/1Iqk3hJ

Are you for real? You sound like the parody of a typical SJW lol

May 8, 2015 8:16 PM

Feb 2013
Shiratori99 said:

Oh you're one of those. Sorry I wasted my time...
May 8, 2015 8:24 PM

Sep 2013
Dmpstrbaby said:
Shiratori99 said:

Oh you're one of those. Sorry I wasted my time...

Hey, check out the Current Events forum. We kinda need someone to argue for the social justice side.

May 8, 2015 8:31 PM

Feb 2013
To back OP's request even further...

TyrelMay 9, 2015 3:57 PM
May 9, 2015 5:19 AM

Sep 2010
Dmpstrbaby said:
BY MICHAEL HOFFMAN
SPECIAL TO THE JAPAN TIMES
Since when some unknown journalist/fiction writer works are considered as scientific/factual proof?

May 9, 2015 6:02 AM

Nov 2011
I'm not sure why it would be difficult to just add an 'Other' option. A fill-in box sounds like a bad idea, and expanding upon 'other' isn't completely necessary.
May 9, 2015 5:50 PM

May 2014
linkhimura said:
The "About me" is also blank, people can put w/e they want there. So they have options to specify their supposed gender.
Yeah that's what I said. Everyone ignored me too.
May 9, 2015 5:51 PM

May 2014
Yeah I support the blank suggestion.
May 9, 2015 6:24 PM

Nov 2011
[quote=Dmpstrbaby]
Shiratori99 said:

Don't overlook the fact that this is an extremely easy change assuming 'other' was added, and adding this could be appreciated by the people who feel they need it. I'm not sure why you're so against the idea of giving people that option, as I doubt it would affect you in any way.

It's not like we're trying to rebuild society. Even jumping to the conclusion that Dmpstrbaby is an SJW, it's not like they're completely wrong, the main problem with them is their motive. Speaking of motives, what's your motive to NOT having this fourth option? Does the fact some people see their own gender differently offend you so much you need to regulate their opinions of themselves? That form of self-gratification isn't far from an SJW.
May 9, 2015 7:18 PM

Sep 2013
LunarProxy said:
Shiratori99 said:

Don't overlook the fact that this is an extremely easy change assuming 'other' was added, and adkiding this could be appreciated by the people who feel they need it. I'm not sure why you're so against the idea of giving people that option, as I doubt it would affect you in any way.

It's not like we're trying to rebuild society. Even jumping to the conclusion that Dmpstrbaby is an SJW, it's not like they're completely wrong, the main problem with them is their motive. Speaking of motives, what's your motive to NOT having this fourth option? Does the fact some people see their own gender differently offend you so much you need to regulate their opinions of themselves? That form of self-gratification iskin't far from an SJW.

Um, I already wrote earlier that I'm totally fine with a simple "other" option or a split sex/gender option.
Which doesn't change the fact that I think it's bullshit.

May 9, 2015 7:30 PM

May 2014
I am other-kin
May 9, 2015 7:32 PM

Feb 2015
I wouldn't use them anyway.
Now you're wondering if there's white text in any of my other posts.

Over there, I'm everywhere. I know that.
May 9, 2015 7:51 PM

Nov 2011
Shiratori99 said:
LunarProxy said:

Don't overlook the fact that this is an extremely easy change assuming 'other' was added, and adkiding this could be appreciated by the people who feel they need it. I'm not sure why you're so against the idea of giving people that option, as I doubt it would affect you in any way.

It's not like we're trying to rebuild society. Even jumping to the conclusion that Dmpstrbaby is an SJW, it's not like they're completely wrong, the main problem with them is their motive. Speaking of motives, what's your motive to NOT having this fourth option? Does the fact some people see their own gender differently offend you so much you need to regulate their opinions of themselves? That form of self-gratification iskin't far from an SJW.

Um, I already wrote earlier that I'm totally fine with a simple "other" option or a split sex/gender option.

...Okay, what? You're fine with it, but you're against it?

Well, I think I get what you mean. I disagree with you, but at least you're not dismissing the whole idea.
May 9, 2015 8:28 PM

Sep 2013
LunarProxy said:
Shiratori99 said:

...Okay, what? You're fine with it, but you're against it?

Well, I think I get what you mean. I disagree with you, but at least you're not dismissing the whole idea.

I'm just against a general gender box where you can fill in blank text. And arguing for the fun of it.

May 9, 2015 10:39 PM

Nov 2011
I do agree a fill-in box is a bad idea. I get what you mean now.

The fill-in box is a popular idea, but I think it's more popular since you can put dumb 'genders' in there. For example, I've seen Tentacle Monster in this thread twice just glancing earlier.

So, I don't have much else to add here, that covers all of my opinion of the matter.
May 9, 2015 10:48 PM
Apr 2013
Oh my, I think we should remove the Gender options since it is offensive towards genderless people.
May 10, 2015 1:01 AM
Mob Character C

Oct 2009
kitsune0 said:
I specified my gender only because it annoys me when I see "Not specified" on my profile.

That's exactly how we feel!
Having 'Not Specified' on their profile might annoy other users too.
What's even more annoying is when your gender isn't there so your "only" option is to have 'Not Specified'.
Rephrasing that: they don't want to have 'Not Specified'-- they're annoyed by it just as you are-- but they can't do anything about it at this point.
THAT is why we want this option so they CAN do something about it.

Now personally, I prefer a fill-in-the-blank option because regardless of any possible abuse, this would be a catch all, win all, end all. Nothing would ever have to be done or added later no matter HOW society changes. This fill-in-the-blank gender system works just fine on other sites. No confusion, no fuss, and no frustration.

For anyone who's for this, please consider letting the developers know in this thread since they're working on profile updates and taking suggestions about them NOW: http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1381274&show=0

Enjoy your anime! | Witch Cafe Wisteria
May 10, 2015 7:29 AM

Sep 2010
Swiggy said:
What's even more annoying is when your gender isn't there so your "only" option is to have 'Not Specified'.
Rephrasing that: they don't want to have 'Not Specified'-- they're annoyed by it just as you are-- but they can't do anything about it at this point.
But I'm not bitchin' about it, so no, don't try to mix me with your whining losers.
It annoys me as some unneeded (to me) option that still shows up even when left without choice. And with that we logically coming to this:
worldeditor11 said:
I think we should remove the Gender option
Totally agreed, this would be a catch all, win all, end all. Nothing would ever have to be done or added later no matter HOW society changes. No confusion, no fuss, and no frustration.
Seriously, democracy for all, equality for all!

May 10, 2015 8:27 AM

Jul 2014
Just go "Not Specified"
Take care of yourself

May 10, 2015 10:01 AM
Mob Character C

Oct 2009
kitsune0 said:
Swiggy said:
But I'm not bitchin' about it, so no, don't try to mix me with your whining losers.
It annoys me as some unneeded (to me) option that still shows up even when left without choice. And with that we logically coming to this:
worldeditor11 said:
I think we should remove the Gender option
Totally agreed, this would be a catch all, win all, end all. Nothing would ever have to be done or added later no matter HOW society changes. No confusion, no fuss, and no frustration.

"I specified my gender only because it annoys me when I see 'Not specified' on my profile" is the same thing we'd like regardless of why you feel that way. Because as it is now, you can specify your gender, and you have.

You don't want the gender option on your profile? Yo! A fill-in-the blank option would work in your favor as well then! On other sites with a fill-in-the-blank gender option, if you don't fill in the section, it just doesn't show up.
Still a catch all, win all, end all.
I'm not against taking away the gender option altogether either, but I recognize that just because I wouldn't want it there doesn't mean no one else wants it.

No need for name-calling, Kitsune. I wouldn't say we're bitching; we're simply making a suggestion and pushing for it. We won't cry if this doesn't go through because we've already had to make due without it; but it would be nice to have especially since they're updating profiles anyway and taking suggestions for exactly this type of thing. That's just what the suggestion board is for.

May 10, 2015 11:01 AM

Nov 2011
Swiggy said:
kitsune0 said:

"I specified my gender only because it annoys me when I see 'Not specified' on my profile" is the same thing we'd like regardless of why you feel that way. Because as it is now, you can specify your gender, and you have.

You don't want the gender option on your profile? Yo! A fill-in-the blank option would work in your favor as well then! On other sites with a fill-in-the-blank gender option, if you don't fill in the section, it just doesn't show up.
Still a catch all, win all, end all.
I'm not against taking away the gender option altogether either, but I recognize that just because I wouldn't want it there doesn't mean no one else wants it.

No need for name-calling, Kitsune. I wouldn't say we're bitching; we're simply making a suggestion and pushing for it. We won't cry if this doesn't go through because we've already had to make due without it; but it would be nice to have especially since they're updating profiles anyway and taking suggestions for exactly this type of thing. That's just what the suggestion board is for.

How can a fill-in box be a win-all if the main opposition to adding more genders is because of all the bull people could enter? Instead of being informative, it's more likely to become some kind of joke. I'd rather stay where we are now than go all the way to a fill-in box.
May 10, 2015 2:22 PM

Feb 2013
"Why should we give black ppl the right to sit in the front of the bus? I'm a white male and I sit in front all the time and it's nothing special."

That's exactly what you ppl sound like.
May 10, 2015 2:45 PM

Nov 2011
Dmpstrbaby said:
"Why should we give black ppl the right to sit in the front of the bus? I'm a white male and I sit in front all the time and it's nothing special."

That's exactly what you ppl sound like.

Who does? Nobody has been against an 'other' option. It's the fill-in box that people are arguing about. We could add options for all of the genders between, I guess, but I sure don't know all of them, so my input as far as that's concerned is neutral. If the gender box became a joke, then it's not really a practical thing to have. Just look at people's MSN/AIM/Yahoo fields.
May 10, 2015 3:08 PM

Jun 2011
Why change? Not Specified is almost the same as "Neither" or "Other".
And there's just two (three) genders/sex, male and female (and our friends futa).
The rest is sexual orientation/option.

Decoys said:
why is this thread still alive....
male = you have a penis or you identify as male
female = you have a vagina or you identify as female

if you are neither too bad. Don't disclose your gender then.

Like +1
May 10, 2015 3:21 PM

Nov 2011
Decoys said:
why is this thread still alive....
male = you have a penis or you identify as male
female = you have a vagina or you identify as female

if you are neither too bad. Don't disclose your gender then.

So you just wanna give those people that feel differently the shaft? What's so terrible about adding an 'other' option at all? There's no real controversy with 'other' itself. It can't be abused, it doesn't detract from anything. Not to mention it's a small and easy change.
May 11, 2015 12:33 AM
Mob Character C

Oct 2009
LunarProxy said:
How can a fill-in box be a win-all if the main opposition to adding more genders is because of all the bull people could enter? Instead of being informative, it's more likely to become some kind of joke. I'd rather stay where we are now than go all the way to a fill-in box.
Hi Lunar. Sorry this is a bit late!
Really, I just don't see how the fill-in-the-blank system being used as a joke by some users makes other users lose out on anything. All that really matters is if users who want to use the section for its intended purpose can do so. Like I've said before, people type imaginary locations into the location section all the time, so by that reasoning it should be done away with too even though there are still many users who type in their actual location.

I feel we're losing more information with 'not specified', because there are a lot of people who would gladly specify. If those people can now specify their gender, we're gaining more information.

Having the fill-in-the-blank won't make everyone suddenly want to type in 'tentacle monster'. On other sites with fill-in-the-blank gender sections, users usually seem to type in their gender or just leave it blank so the gender section doesn't appear at all (much like our location section). Sure you get the few people who type in the "I am [gender here]" slot something like, "I am 'me'", but the amount of users who use it (or choose not to use it) outweigh those folks by a lot; I think that's all that really matters.

I'm actually fine with just adding 'other' as well, but I can tell you now that it won't be an end all. Really hesitating to point this out, but the term 'other'/'othered' has a very negative connotation in most communities. I'd rather just avoid the future backlash and go fill-in-the-blank now. And adding a bunch more genders on the list won't work in the end. Fill-in-the-blank will hold up no matter what happens, and that's pretty much why I'm emphasizing that, with or without a group of users abusing the feature, there will never be a reason for users to ask for anything more from the gender section ever again if it's fill-in-the-blank. If we can find another all encompassing word besides 'other' then I think that'd be fine.

May 11, 2015 3:43 PM

Jul 2012
alright, alright, I get the OP point and most people in favour but is this really that necessary?

If it is then just add an "other" option and then specify if you want in the "about me! section... just, not the 'fill-in' option.
"In the past few months since we met, I've shared many memories with Nagato. Though I've also shared memories with Haruhi, Asahina-san and Koizumi, I found that I've experienced more events with Nagato in particular. In fact, every situation seems to involve her. I might as well mention this, she's probably the only person to cause the bell within me to shake the most vigorously..." ~ Kyon, TMOSH
May 12, 2015 8:47 AM

Jan 2009
kitsune0 said:
oktavia-12 said:
Wtf scientific studies do you want?

It's definitions ffs. They don't need scientific proof.
Yay, so it's like with homosexuality - it doesn't need any scientific proofs, it's enough to be just stated and we've done!
No proofs = your own personal feelings = bullshit.

No proof in your favour either, buddy. So uh, no proof = your personal feelings = bullshit lolololol (ノ´∀`*)

Also did you just imply being gay is a myth lmao
remaking my signature!
lol I never actually ended up remaking it, oop. ; ;
May 12, 2015 6:44 PM

Feb 2013
CC said:
kitsune0 said:
Yay, so it's like with homosexuality - it doesn't need any scientific proofs, it's enough to be just stated and we've done!
No proofs = your own personal feelings = bullshit.

No proof in your favour either, buddy. So uh, no proof = your personal feelings = bullshit lolololol (ノ´∀`*)

Also did you just imply being gay is a myth lmao

I doubt Kitsune0 actually understand much about "science". Seem to a word he just throws out there when lacking arguments to back up his bigotry.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (6) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 »

More topics from this board

» Add number of episodes and number of members in the advanced search.

Yacine2104 - Jan 10

8 by Alexioos95 »»
4 hours ago

» Local Language districts

kuroneko99 - Apr 22

5 by Luchipher-Zen »»
Yesterday, 1:02 PM

Poll: » Change picture of favorite character ( 1 2 )

gehoti2822 - Nov 12, 2022

60 by AgravityBoy »»
Yesterday, 9:09 AM

» Corporate images

Noctisnox - May 15, 2023

19 by himanshi122 »»
Apr 19, 5:51 AM

» Reply button should show text that will be quoted.

Euthymia_Gerv - Apr 15

8 by Alexioos95 »»
Apr 18, 10:22 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.