Forum Settings
Forums

What do you think of World Masterpiece Theater anime?

New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jun 30, 2015 2:48 AM

Jan 2015
amateur said:
Most people in this forum have no freaking idea what they are or barely/never heard any of their titles ,just lolz.
I do I do

I really like Anne of Green Gables and Heidi
also Remi Nobody's Girl, Princess Sarah and Little Prince Cedi
The last show that I watched from that block is that adaptation of Les Miserables. I was teary eyed to that show tho. I really like their concentration of Cosette instead of Jean Veljean

ooohhhh that nostalgia is coming back agen
Especially when Heidi shouts "Grandpa Al"
DiginarcissaJun 30, 2015 3:00 AM
Twitter and it's consequences had been a disaster for the human race
Jun 30, 2015 2:51 AM
Jul 2018
What is this ....
Jun 30, 2015 2:52 AM

Jan 2015
_Charl said:
What is this ....
a thing that only 90s kids will remember
Jun 30, 2015 2:58 AM
Jul 2018
Deus-Vult said:
_Charl said:
What is this ....

meh
i dnt kno bout this
is this animu?
Jun 30, 2015 2:59 AM

Jan 2015
_Charl said:
Deus-Vult said:

meh
i dnt kno bout this
is this animu?
noep
moar like a TV block
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Masterpiece_Theater
Jul 15, 2015 1:33 PM

May 2013
Deus-Vult said:
amateur said:
Most people in this forum have no freaking idea what they are or barely/never heard any of their titles ,just lolz.
I do I do

I really like Anne of Green Gables and Heidi
also Remi Nobody's Girl, Princess Sarah and Little Prince Cedi
The last show that I watched from that block is that adaptation of Les Miserables. I was teary eyed to that show tho. I really like their concentration of Cosette instead of Jean Veljean

ooohhhh that nostalgia is coming back agen
Especially when Heidi shouts "Grandpa Al"

Yeah, their drama is great.
Jul 15, 2015 1:39 PM

Apr 2011
I initially found out about this when I tried to find what Andes Chucky from Shirobako was referencing. Since then, I've kept this idea to watch them in my mind, but I've had a hard time finding the time (and the bandwidth) to do so.
Jul 15, 2015 2:21 PM

Jun 2014
I think that they are better than 70% of the modern anime I watch these days.
Jul 16, 2015 2:50 AM

May 2013
yhunata said:
I initially found out about this when I tried to find what Andes Chucky from Shirobako was referencing. Since then, I've kept this idea to watch them in my mind, but I've had a hard time finding the time (and the bandwidth) to do so.

Andes Chucky isn't even a "legit" WMT series since it's about talking animals and the later WMTs don't have that. WMT starts at Heidi, IMHO.

Agafin said:
I think that they are better than 70% of the modern anime I watch these days.

Agreed.
Jul 16, 2015 8:51 AM

Jun 2015
I have seen a couple of them when I was a child. I think they are good, but they're more for kids.
Aug 26, 2015 2:09 PM

Dec 2014
Well, I'm currently watching "Konnichiwa Anne" and am about halfway through it. I'm really enjoying it!
Aug 26, 2015 2:25 PM

Jun 2009
Waifu_Strangler said:
I was checking out some of the names and while they seem really out of my area they seem to be very hyped especially Akage no Anne.

Watch it, I haven't finished due to issues on my end but it's great stuff. That's the only one I've see but I'd like to watch the others sometime.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Aug 29, 2015 8:39 PM

May 2013
AnnaSartin said:
Well, I'm currently watching "Konnichiwa Anne" and am about halfway through it. I'm really enjoying it!

I have been sporadically watching it myself. Liked it so far.

Currently in the process of finishing Marco. Just another 6 episodes left.
Jul 21, 2017 5:52 AM

Dec 2011
It seems like it's really an old post but i really like WMT anime and many had me in tears.
I rally love Anne of Green Gables, Daddy Long Legs, Heidi, Romeo no Aoi Sora, A Little Princess Sara and Little Lord Fauntleroy.
Jul 21, 2017 10:48 AM

Jul 2013
I haven't actually watched any of them but I've read a lot of the literature the anime are based on... and they're pretty decent.
Jul 21, 2017 1:53 PM
Feb 2014
I love them! I grew up watching them a lot as a little child, i used to watch them everyday on RTL2, that's also how i learned German from an early age.
I have watched, Katri, Girl of the Meadows(Makiba no Shoujo Katri), Tales of Little Women(Ai no Wakakusa Monogatari), Alps Stories: My Annette(Alps Monogatari Watashi no Annette), Adventures of Peter Pan(Peter Pan no Bōken), Little Women II Jo's Boys(Wakakusa Monogatari Nan to Jou Sensei) and Tico and Friends(Nanatsu no Umi no Tico)
My Shoujo, Josei and Female targeted anime adaptations starting from 2017+ stacks:

Part 1: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9181
Part 2: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9195
Part 3: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9225
Part 4: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9280
Jul 21, 2017 1:56 PM

Jan 2017
what are those lol
can someone lookat my list to see ig I watched some of them because I have no idea what are those
Jul 21, 2017 3:16 PM
May 2015
It's nice that Japanese anime tries adapting foreign works (Enlgish, French) into an animated medium for children, either in Japan or abroad, to enjoy. I've only seen a few of them but I thought they were enjoyable.

I keep associating it with Ghibli for some reason.
Jul 21, 2017 3:21 PM

Apr 2017
Akage no Anne

It portraits of a country bumpkin orphan who desired to live in a imaginative full of wonderful things. Compare to the Novels, It masterized full potential and rewrites new story.

Back in the days when it aired in our country
About the potato girl named Princess sarah xD (Former actual meme made by ourselves)
-HippySnob-Jul 21, 2017 3:28 PM

"Think about that glowing dust
That destroys the night sky's dream of
Just being nothing"
----
Jul 21, 2017 3:51 PM
Sep 2011
Their anime's are million times better than the majority of the crap we see these days.

RozalthiricJul 22, 2017 4:51 AM
Jul 21, 2017 4:53 PM

Jan 2013
(yay, resurrected thread) I've only seen one so far - Watashi no Ashinaga Ojisan. It's really good. I'm going to watch Akage no Anne next. Though, I hadn't heard about WMT before I joined MAL (sure I knew some of the books but I had no clue they made anime based on them).
fuyukiJul 22, 2017 4:03 AM
Jul 21, 2017 7:59 PM

Oct 2014
they are the biggest shame on my attempt at claiming myself as an elitist, how could i hope to become one if i never even watched(and put it in my favorites) one of their shows
Jul 22, 2017 3:36 AM

Feb 2015
I remember disliking most of these anime when I watched them as little child on German TV. However nowadays I'd probably enjoy them very much. I watched a few couple episodes of the Peter Pan anime and was surprised how good it it.

This is not a WMT show (as far as I know) but if you're looking for something similar I recommend Alfred J. Quack, which is also an excellent anime based on European children's literature. Quite dark for a kids show though.
Jul 22, 2017 3:49 AM

Nov 2012
I only saw a few episodes of Les Miserables anime and I remember enjoying it, still need to get back on that show.
Jul 22, 2017 6:36 AM

Feb 2010
SuperRed said:
I only saw a few episodes of Les Miserables anime and I remember enjoying it, still need to get back on that show.

You don't watch Les Mis for enjoyment you watch it for the suffering :>
Seriously, the first, idk, 20+ episodes were so depressing to see that poor loli being treated like shit all the time :(.
I probably regret this post by now.
Jul 22, 2017 6:41 AM

Apr 2015
Romeo no Aoi Sora is good one, so I have quite positive opinion on it??
May 17, 2020 5:58 PM
May 2016
TrashDax said:
I have seen a couple of them when I was a child. I think they are good, but they're more for kids.

Most anime in the series
World Masterpiece Theater are not specifically for children, but for the whole family. Most have children as protagonists, but I find these anime more mature than many current anime.
Sep 1, 2020 7:14 AM
May 2016
They're the best animes I've ever seen!
Sep 1, 2020 8:50 AM
Jul 2018
They are one of the few series that are better watched dubbed instead of subbed. Most Euro dubs are very good since they avoid the American anime dub lipsync method, that would have killed it. Probably one reason they weren't picked as much in America,plus they required very demanding dubs due to Dialog and drama. Voice actors are as good and experienced as the Japanese voice actors too in most cases.

Eg I consider the German dub of Heidi one of the best animated TV dubs ever.

Also TMS at that time did similar series, some of which are better than wmt version. Eg Dezaki/Sugino Rémi vs 1997 Rémi. In French dub the child actor that played Rémi in the live action series voiced Rémi in the anime. Perhaps best French anime dub.

I consider 90s TMS titles (Twins at St Claire's, Dog of Flanders, Two Lottes) better than the wmt series of that year.

Surprisingly character designer Junichi Seki worked on both tms and nippon series so they share same character design despite being done by a different studio.

Eg tms Saint Claire

vs
Daddy Long Legs!

Kinpatsu no Jeannie is also a good alternative that would have deserved wmt status too.

Oct 12, 2020 12:46 PM
May 2016
petran79 said:
They are one of the few series that are better watched dubbed instead of subbed. Most Euro dubs are very good since they avoid the American anime dub lipsync method, that would have killed it. Probably one reason they weren't picked as much in America,plus they required very demanding dubs due to Dialog and drama. Voice actors are as good and experienced as the Japanese voice actors too in most cases.

Eg I consider the German dub of Heidi one of the best animated TV dubs ever.

Also TMS at that time did similar series, some of which are better than wmt version. Eg Dezaki/Sugino Rémi vs 1997 Rémi. In French dub the child actor that played Rémi in the live action series voiced Rémi in the anime. Perhaps best French anime dub.

I consider 90s TMS titles (Twins at St Claire's, Dog of Flanders, Two Lottes) better than the wmt series of that year.

Surprisingly character designer Junichi Seki worked on both tms and nippon series so they share same character design despite being done by a different studio.

Eg tms Saint Claire

vs
Daddy Long Legs!

Kinpatsu no Jeannie is also a good alternative that would have deserved wmt status too.

@petran79 where did you see these anime from TMS studio? Where can I find them with English subtitles?
Oct 12, 2020 1:05 PM
Jul 2018
amarcioz said:

@petran79 where did you see these anime from TMS studio? Where can I find them with English subtitles?

It's been years!
Daddy Longlegs is both fansubbed and dubbed. No English dub except a 70s movie by another studio.

As for St Claire's there have been many dubs. I watched the German version where they only changed the mc into silly names, though Italian and Spanish version retain the original ones. Only subs effort I've seen from Japanese version is an Arabic one. I am not sure if they are actual translated subs or just dubtitles based on the Arabic dub
Oct 12, 2020 1:34 PM

Aug 2016
The only one I watched was Romeo no Aoi Sora, it was pretty good.
Who are you and why do you show your hostility towards a complete stranger whom you've not once spoken with before. Are you seriously asking to get blocked? Well, if that's what your intent is; to tempt me into throwing hands with someone as lowly and insignificant as you, then i may grant your wish provided you articulate yourself a bit better when trying to spite a person of my wavelength.
Oct 12, 2020 1:36 PM

Feb 2016
That sort of thing has never appealed to me.
その目だれの目?
Oct 12, 2020 2:22 PM
Jul 2018
Lucifrost said:

Some series share things in common with popular drama shojo titles not based on novels lthough heavily inspired by them like Candy Candy, eg Princess Sara, Annette, Daddy Longlegs, Little Women etc Though their narrative techniques are far more TV drama like and cinematic instead of the usual 70s-80s shojo sfx and gfx and colors.

Oct 12, 2020 2:38 PM

May 2018
It was nicely organized, nicely funded and nicely produced idea.

Sadly most of those are not my cup of tea - melodrama.
But there are few (from the available ones) that I really liked:

The Adventures of Tom Sawyer
The Swiss Family Robinson: Flone of the Mysterious Island
Trapp Family Story
Tico of the Seven Seas
Famous Dog Lassie (liked the initial episodes better)

Maybe my favourite is Tico (adventure on the high seas plus sci-fi) and Flone is the second best (again with the maritime theme, I am sucker for stories that happen on an island).
alshuOct 13, 2020 4:56 AM
Oct 12, 2020 5:39 PM
Aug 2014
Well, i need a guide for WMT too.

Akage no Anne was my first WMT show. The main reason is because Anne has coming of age theme.

Perhaps anyone has suggestion what should i watch next
Oct 18, 2020 7:31 AM
Jul 2020
Never heard of it. It has a nice name though.
Nov 5, 2020 3:40 AM
May 2016
Lucifrost said:

You have seen Candy Candy and some anime from the Ghibli studio that has similarities to the anime from the World Masterpiece Theater. Those who like Ghibli generally like WMT and vice versa. Hayao Miyazaki was part of the production of the first animes of the World Masterpiece Theater.
Nov 5, 2020 3:43 AM
May 2016
Rav_ said:
Well, i need a guide for WMT too.

Akage no Anne was my first WMT show. The main reason is because Anne has coming of age theme.

Perhaps anyone has suggestion what should i watch next

Perrine Monogatari. This anime touched me a lot.
Nov 5, 2020 7:30 AM

Feb 2016
amarcioz said:
Lucifrost said:

You have seen Candy Candy and some anime from the Ghibli studio that has similarities to the anime from the World Masterpiece Theater. Those who like Ghibli generally like WMT and vice versa. Hayao Miyazaki was part of the production of the first animes of the World Masterpiece Theater.

I don't see how Miyazaki's movies have anything in common with World Masterpiece Theater.
その目だれの目?
Nov 5, 2020 8:08 AM

May 2018
Lucifrost said:

I don't see how Miyazaki's movies have anything in common with World Masterpiece Theater.

Compare:
Panda Kopanda - Miyazaki and Takahata

to Alps no Shoujo Heidi - Miyazaki and Takahata, same VA as the MC of Panda Kopanda, even Yoshiyuki (Gundam) Tomino is onboard.

to Tonari no Totoro (you gave it 1/10 tho) - Miyazaki and Takahata

and you will see the connection.

For example Papanda transforming into the St Bernard dog, than into Totoro.
Many other visualisation and animation ideas evolving with time.
Nov 5, 2020 8:13 AM
May 2016
Lucifrost said:
amarcioz said:

The similarities are:
It has similar character designs; are based on books, yes, I know that not all anime in the Ghibli studio is based on books;
they are animes without Japanese clichés, without ecchi, without fanservices and without perverted characters that infest many current animes.

The big difference is that the Ghibli studio animes are more fanciful while the World Masterpiece Theater animes are more realistic.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Credit cards companies are forcing the Hentai industry

Dije - 4 hours ago

20 by Luc36 »»
36 seconds ago

» Has the isekai bubble finally burst

EastIndiaCompany - 2 hours ago

13 by W3TFT »»
4 minutes ago

Poll: » Interest and hobbies change with time

nishant0 - 2 hours ago

17 by Adnash »»
7 minutes ago

» Why Are Anime Males sooo.... Scared? ( 1 2 )

Tay098 - Feb 12, 2020

56 by BilboBaggins365 »»
11 minutes ago

» im kinda new to anime

thefoxkiller12 - Apr 29, 2022

16 by thefoxkiller12 »»
12 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.