Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Dec 12, 2014 1:49 PM
Feb 2014
fst said:
If this forum is any indication, meeting anime fans in real life is a bad idea.

Not really. Just the zealous weeaboos and the ones who don't shut the fuck up.
Dec 12, 2014 1:50 PM

Jul 2012
fst said:

irl fans are much nicer than this forum and less on the elitism side though
Dec 12, 2014 1:52 PM

Mar 2013
Ok time for my backup excuse.

clubs/cons are expensive.
Dec 12, 2014 1:55 PM

Jul 2012
fst said:

I'd agree but then again, college is pricy in general and I doubt I'll ever hang out with people after graduating so I'm using my extra time to meet people now.

RinArcher said:
I have met them, they aren't as great as you think they might be.

I've met them in high school. It helps if you don't say any shit about their favourites. I'm good at lying ;D
Dec 12, 2014 2:13 PM

Mar 2013
mayukachan said:
fst said:

I'd agree but then again, college is pricy in general and I doubt I'll ever hang out with people after graduating so I'm using my extra time to meet people now.

That sounds bleak.

But for me it's more fun hanging around people who are in my program. We may or may not have surreptitiously added "hentai" as an interest on somebody's resume.
Dec 12, 2014 2:24 PM

Jul 2012
fst said:
That sounds bleak.

But for me it's more fun hanging around people who are in my program. We may or may not have surreptitiously added "hentai" as an interest on somebody's resume.

LOL @ the resume thing

All the compsci kids (in my courses) are only into video games (smash and World of Warcraft) and Legend of Korra and they're all guys, so I don't have much in common. :< It's nice talking to lifesci girls instead who like the same anime as me lol
Dec 12, 2014 2:35 PM

Oct 2012
mayukachan said:
fst said:
That sounds bleak.

LOL @ the resume thing

All the compsci kids (in my courses) are only into video games (smash and World of Warcraft) and Legend of Korra and they're all guys, so I don't have much in common. :< It's nice talking to lifesci girls instead who like the same anime as me lol

By Senior year most of the people in my major's hobby was alcohol and commiserating about how much work we have lol. I got way more into Anime in grad school so I never really ran into that many people outside of a couple that watched anime.
Dec 12, 2014 2:46 PM

Apr 2013
No i'm not, even if there's a club in my school i'm not joining it either, well it's just a bunch of freak I say and there's no point joining it
Dec 12, 2014 2:47 PM

Dec 2013
I'm a part of Haruhiism Indonesia since back in 2006, the club is still very active irl up until now.

Dec 12, 2014 2:47 PM

Feb 2014
i know of no anime clubs near me and i'm literally the only person i know that watches anime. sobs.
Dec 12, 2014 2:51 PM

Mar 2013
RinArcher said:
fst said:
We may or may not have surreptitiously added "hentai" as an interest on somebody's resume.

ಠ_ಠ

Relax your eyebrows, it's not even as bad as that time one of my friends glued all the pages of somebody's lab notebook together, thus forcing him to completely redo a lab report that was due very soon.

mayukachan said:
fst said:
That sounds bleak.

LOL @ the resume thing

Sounds exactly like my program, but replace WoW with foosball.
Dec 12, 2014 3:09 PM

Feb 2010
mayukachan said:
fst said:

irl fans are much nicer than this forum and less on the elitism side though

That's because they have to look you in the eye and not just close the tab after they make toxic remarks. It's just how the internet and people in general work, nothing about MAL or anime fans in particular. I'd even say MAL is a fairly nice place compared to similar forum communities :P.

OT: We don't have clubs of any kind in our education system so I can't really relate. Only place I regularly meet lots of anime fans is my yearly convention while I don't have a problem with any kind of fan, I also don't really get along on more than a superficial level with most of them. Never met anyone with the same level of enthusiasm for the medium as a whole, it's hard to find even one person who has seen stuff that isn't super mainstream or recent and I usually just try to nod politely and change the topic when they tell me how SAO was the only good anime in recent years or that they mostly watch ecchi romcoms with tsundere female leads.
Add to that that they often are way more passionate about all the additional anime/asia stuff going on in the anime community (like jpop/kpop, figurines, cosplaying, vocaloids, idols, VNs, JRPGs etc... - All stuff I barely care about) there is just this big disparity of why we are part of the 'anime fandom' that I usually don't think it's a good idea to focus my the conversation on that point. I love anime because I love animation, not because I love Japan or because of the community aspects.
That being said it's always nice to meet people with similar interests, even when we're not gonna be best friends and are looking for mostly different things in the medium. I just had much more success on MAL meeting people with a similar mindset as mine when it comes to anime so that's where 95% of my anime talks happen.
I'd definitely check out any kind of anime club though if I ever found one. I kinda envy you muricans for those clubs, uni would be more fun if we had clubs as well.
I probably regret this post by now.
Dec 12, 2014 3:22 PM

Nov 2012
Eh, joined my uni anime club, went to it once and never went again. I'm tempted to give it another go sometime though, but the people there just weren't my kind of crowd nor did anyone's taste really line up much with mine.
Dec 12, 2014 3:25 PM

Jul 2012
Higashi_no_Kaze said:
Add to that that they often are way more passionate about all the additional anime/asia stuff going on in the anime community (like jpop/kpop, figurines, cosplaying, vocaloids, idols, VNs, JRPGs etc... - All stuff I barely care about) there is just this big disparity of why we are part of the 'anime fandom' that I usually don't think it's a good idea to focus my the conversation on that point. I love anime because I love animation, not because I love Japan or because of the community aspects.
That being said it's always nice to meet people with similar interests, even when we're not gonna be best friends and are looking for mostly different things in the medium. I just had much more success on MAL meeting people with a similar mindset as mine when it comes to anime so that's where 95% of my anime talks happen.

Good points. A lot of the female fans I meet irl are only into specific genres and specific shows. and they act like weebs half of the time with their "kawaiis" lmao

I like that MAL has a lot of people who would watch anything (whether it's josei or sports or something from 1960s or something from 2012) and be willing to discuss it. :3
Dec 12, 2014 3:54 PM

Apr 2013

I wouldn't be caught dead in one.
dankzelDec 12, 2014 4:01 PM
Dec 12, 2014 3:58 PM

Jun 2012
My school has one but im too much of an introvert to actually talk to any of them. I kind of just go there and watch the anime they show.
Dec 12, 2014 9:03 PM

Jan 2013
Yes, I went to a club called Genshiken
Kagami_Hiiragi said:
Idc if you think its weird, I have a life and friends and an income of money.

Dec 12, 2014 9:14 PM

Jun 2014
Every club I've gone to are full of annoying whiny anime scrubs, so no.
Dec 12, 2014 9:16 PM

Apr 2014
I was in one in high school years back. It was ok I guess.
Dec 12, 2014 9:25 PM

Mar 2012
Got dragged to an anime club meeting once back in high school by a friend of mine and I was horrified with what I saw: Cat ears, acne, headbands, sweat stains, broken Japanese, engrish, and yaoi fanart everywhere.
The club consisted of around a dozen weebs, including said friend, and that day they were watching episode #3,574 of One BleaRuto or some shit. I asked the president what else they'd watched and I got the expected response of "Bleach, Naruto, this one old show called 'Sailor Moon'. You probably haven't heard of that one."
"My sister and I watched that on Toonami back in '97, Mack."
"Oh really? Well what about [I don't fucking remember]?"
"Saw that on Toonami back in 2000. Did any of you guys even watch Toonami back when it was good?"
As it turned out, I had watched more anime than the entirety of the club. I offered to show them something new and exciting (Birdy: Decode) but they declined and I noped my way out the door.

That was almost five years ago.
I'm dead. Don't come looking for me.
Dec 13, 2014 3:37 AM

Jun 2014
RinArcher said:

Edit: Oh nope wait, I found it.

the comments are funny as hell.
All credit goes to Sacred.
Dec 13, 2014 3:38 AM

Jun 2014
Adieuda said:
i know of no anime clubs near me and i'm literally the only person i know that watches anime. sobs.

join one of the chat clubs on mal
Dec 13, 2014 3:41 AM

Jun 2014
deanzel said:

I wouldn't be caught dead in one.

Any particular reasons why?
Dec 13, 2014 3:44 AM

Jun 2014
Sol_Ou said:
My school has one but im too much of an introvert to actually talk to any of them. I kind of just go there and watch the anime they show.

I guess that's ok but it's fine to approach others.
Dec 13, 2014 3:46 AM

Jun 2014
SteveTF2gamer620 said:
I do. I go to clubs dedicated to Madoka Magica, K-On! and the Monogatari series.

Haha the reason my club started was because the teacher overheard my friend talking about madoka magica
Dec 13, 2014 3:48 AM

Jun 2014
snivell said:
I wish my redneck, hick town was evolved enough to do something besides sit on their ass and make dip reviews on YouTube. But no, no clubs here.

That sucks I guess.

Kagami_Hiiragi said:
Every club I've gone to are full of annoying whiny anime scrubs, so no.

Could you name the clubs you attended?
Dec 13, 2014 3:50 AM

Jun 2014
Negative-Travis said:
Got dragged to an anime club meeting once back in high school by a friend of mine and I was horrified with what I saw: Cat ears, acne, headbands, sweat stains, broken Japanese, engrish, and yaoi fanart everywhere.
The club consisted of around a dozen weebs, including said friend, and that day they were watching episode #3,574 of One BleaRuto or some shit. I asked the president what else they'd watched and I got the expected response of "Bleach, Naruto, this one old show called 'Sailor Moon'. You probably haven't heard of that one."
"My sister and I watched that on Toonami back in '97, Mack."
"Oh really? Well what about [I don't fucking remember]?"
"Saw that on Toonami back in 2000. Did any of you guys even watch Toonami back when it was good?"
As it turned out, I had watched more anime than the entirety of the club. I offered to show them something new and exciting (Birdy: Decode) but they declined and I noped my way out the door.

That was almost five years ago.

Oh GOD, I can imagine the hardships you must have faced.
Dec 13, 2014 3:51 AM

Jun 2014
Miraclezify said:
Eh, joined my uni anime club, went to it once and never went again. I'm tempted to give it another go sometime though, but the people there just weren't my kind of crowd nor did anyone's taste really line up much with mine.

How did your taste in anime differ?
Dec 13, 2014 3:56 AM
Mar 2014
We've never had clubs in our educational system and so I didn't really have the chance to join one back when I was in school. Although I suppose I wouldn't even have joined it since I wasn't really into anime back then. Anyway, it's always nice to meet people with common interests, so I think I wouldn't mind going to a club nowadays.
Dec 13, 2014 3:57 AM
Aug 2012
sounds cringey
Dec 13, 2014 3:59 AM

Feb 2013
I tried showing up at my university anime club,

I ended up taking flexing selfies with everybodies buttcracks for 20 mins then left.
Dec 13, 2014 4:08 AM

Jul 2014
When I was in High school being in a anime club would get you treated like scum so nah I've never been in one before.
Dec 13, 2014 4:12 AM

Aug 2014
Dec 13, 2014 4:14 AM

Apr 2012
hmm, high school anime clubs, sounds interesting.

though anime clubs are not at all rare in universities/colleges. In fact, you will find that almost every school has its own anime club, and some of them are quite big.
My Reviews and Rants: http://bunny1ov3r.wordpress.com/

痛就是爱
Dec 13, 2014 5:55 AM

Jun 2014
Drakehawk said:

Man this was too funny and besides were a civilised bunch of people.
Dec 13, 2014 5:56 AM

Jun 2014
bunny1ov3r said:
hmm, high school anime clubs, sounds interesting.

though anime clubs are not at all rare in universities/colleges. In fact, you will find that almost every school has its own anime club, and some of them are quite big.

No, you either have a big club or none at all.
Dec 13, 2014 5:59 AM

Jun 2013
Nah i never even hang out whit people that watch anime i only have a roommate that its okey whit it and watched like 2-3 anime i prefer go out and get drunk then next day while being fucked up i watch anime
Dec 23, 2014 1:27 PM

Sep 2012
I want to go to an anime club in northern VA D:
Dec 23, 2014 1:47 PM
Sep 2014
Nah, i don't want to watch crap like SAO and K-On.
Dec 23, 2014 3:04 PM

Jan 2013
There's a anime club at my school, but I never joined.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 23, 2014 3:26 PM

Mar 2013
No clubs in my region dedicated to anime, but even if there was one I don't know if I would go, too awkward...
Dec 23, 2014 4:12 PM

Jun 2014
Nope. And I wouldn't want to. Anime fans in real life are not attractive. Besides myself of course.
Dec 23, 2014 4:54 PM

Apr 2014
No.
Dec 23, 2014 6:23 PM

Dec 2012
I went to one at my college for a couple of years. It was pretty fun because we watched a variety of current shows, and this was before I had a decent internet connection or a job, so it was useful. I saw and liked a whole bunch of shows I wouldn't have considered watching.

I stopped going though when it got taken over by someone else and they started to watch nothing but old shows I'd seen already.
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Dec 23, 2014 10:06 PM

Mar 2012
Kirito-Dragneel said:

So you can witness cousin-fucking both on- and off-screen?
I'm dead. Don't come looking for me.
Dec 23, 2014 10:11 PM

Aug 2013
Negative-Travis said:
Kirito-Dragneel said:

Shots fired
Dec 24, 2014 5:54 AM

Sep 2012
RevInity said:
Negative-Travis said:

Shots fired

eeeh sure why not, ill bring the popcorn
Dec 24, 2014 7:10 AM

Sep 2014
Well, we just started an "unoffcial" one, where its just our friends, around 12 people. Since a teacher allowed us to stay in one of the classrooms during break time, and most of us have watched anime before (only 6 watched a lot).
So far we've watched, Tokyo Ghoul, Nichijou, D-frag and spirited away. And we've watched the live action of death note.

and our rule is: "no ecchi" =(
Dec 24, 2014 7:14 AM

Apr 2014
Machination said:
Well, we just started an "unoffcial" one, where its just our friends, around 12 people. Since a teacher allowed us to stay in one of the classrooms during break time, and most of us have watched anime before (only 6 watched a lot).
So far we've watched, Tokyo Ghoul, Nichijou, D-frag and spirited away. And we've watched the live action of death note.

and our rule is: "no ecchi" =(
Worst club ever..
Dec 24, 2014 8:30 AM

Jul 2014
I did. Only went for to talk to the club leader because I couldn't stand all the weaboo fags and that one filthy casual who thought Fairy Tail was the best anime ever created pronounce anime "an - nime" instead of 'an-ni-may" Once he graduated I got the fuck out of there. Couldn't stand this one bitch who still thought kool aid streaks were cool. Ew.
[center][/center]
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Interest and hobbies change with time

nishant0 - Yesterday

32 by Ex-Aid »»
2 minutes ago

» Early-mid 2000s anime – what are your thoughts?

Haneken2086 - 10 hours ago

10 by Zettaiken »»
9 minutes ago

» Do you drop shows? ( 1 2 )

EverRealm - Yesterday

50 by Ex-Aid »»
12 minutes ago

Sticky: » AWC 2024 Anime Watching Challenge - Sign-Up (Open Until December 10th) ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

AWC_mod - Jan 1

979 by Ixtiilii »»
20 minutes ago

» Anime Misandry ( 1 2 )

ColourWheel - Apr 21

95 by JaniSIr »»
24 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.