Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Your Lie in April
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 »
Dec 14, 2014 9:41 PM

Mar 2013
mayukachan said:
i love how there's two kinds of reactions in this episode. hahaha
either:
MoeGod said:
God damn, I literally had to skip 3/4 of this episode because I kept thinking HOW LONG ARE THEY GOING TO DRAG THIS OVER THE TOP MELODRAMA???!!!!

Way to ruin the music though at this point I'm convinced this show is more about over dramatic internal struggle while spouting as many pretentiously cheesy lines as possible than about music.

It is great when they actually gave us music like the back-to-back performances of Arima's rivals but it seems those are the exceptions rather than the norm.

or
ZeroHumor said:
Spring has come for a passionate adolescent. If you weren't turned off by the overbearing delivery of the show, this episode is quite possibly one of the most surreal, beautiful moments in the anime medium. This is what I love about the anime medium. This is why I can get passionate about my cartoons far more than I ever will for 'realistic' or straight up live-action stories.

10/10.

I can totally understand the other side, and hell, if it was an older, more cynical self looking back, I'd be laughing at the scene. But it's this kind of surrealism that can't exist in any other medium. It's this that makes anime my favorite storytelling medium. Critics can call it melodrama all they want; I call it passion. Is my opinion dead wrong?
Dec 14, 2014 10:21 PM

Oct 2014
ZeroHumor said:
mayukachan said:
i love how there's two kinds of reactions in this episode. hahaha
either:

or

I can totally understand the other side, and hell, if it was an older, more cynical self looking back, I'd be laughing at the scene. But it's this kind of surrealism that can't exist in any other medium. It's this that makes anime my favorite storytelling medium. Critics can call it melodrama all they want; I call it passion. Is my opinion dead wrong?

Your opinion is just as right as theirs.
HOW TO SAVE ANIME IN THREE SIMPLE STEPS

1. To have Mars of Destruction, Skelter Heaven, and Pupa properly adapted in TV series form by Madhouse
  2. To have Inferno Cop properly adapted in TV series form by Bones, director: Urobuchi Gen
  3. An anime crossover of Mushishi x ARIA x Haibane Renmei.

Should even one of the above conditions cannot be done, anime is still at risk.
Dec 14, 2014 11:40 PM

Jul 2012
ZeroHumor said:
Critics can call it melodrama all they want; I call it passion. Is my opinion dead wrong?

Everybody's right :>
Dec 14, 2014 11:44 PM

Dec 2012
Just like the audience after hearing Kousei's performance, I could not decide whether I liked this episode or not. The drama was too over the top for me, yet it was so touching, especially how Kousei really wanted his performance to reach Kaori.

The part where Emi imagining what Kousei imagines(the classroom where he had been practicing with Kaori) was cringeworthy.

And of course, an episode with less philosophical cat is always good.
I like anime.
Dec 15, 2014 1:11 AM

Feb 2014
ZeroHumor said:

"This kind of surrealism" can happen at any medium, really. It doesn't really have to do with your opinion being either right or wrong, but how it works for you.

Pat_To_Do-List said:
And of course, an episode with less philosophical cat is always good.

If your enjoyment is decided by an appearance or not of a cat, my condolences.
surfboard_Dec 15, 2014 1:51 AM
Dec 15, 2014 1:20 AM

Dec 2012
surfboard_ said:
If your enjoyment is decided by an appearance or not of a cat, my condolences.

Thank you for your concern, but there are more people out there who need it more than me.
I like anime.
Dec 15, 2014 2:25 AM

Apr 2011
Such a beautiful episode, cant wait for next episode
Dec 15, 2014 2:39 AM

Feb 2014
Seriously there are some cheesy lines and the melodrama is layered on extremely thick but still its good. The kids show a maturity and approach to life way beyond their years. The next episodes should be more light hearted.

Overall decent episode but it did feel like a rehash of an earlier episode.
Dec 15, 2014 6:11 AM

Jul 2008
I was totally into this episode and Arima just ends it the way he wanted which is all that matters :D Kaori's tears in the end says it all about her feelings for Arima :)
Dec 15, 2014 10:25 AM

Jul 2012
Woah, I got mixed feelings about this episode but it seems Arima Kousei is beginning to change in a good way.
Tom's Hardware graphics veteran++ (Legacy)
i7 6700K@4.0 GHz, ASUS Z170 PRO GAMING, RTX 2080, G. Skill RipJaws V 3200MHz 16GB,
Noctua NH-D15, CorsairRM 850x, Win10x64, 1920x1080

MyAnimeList!
Dec 16, 2014 1:25 AM

Nov 2011
This episode was depressing.

I don't mean the episode itself was depressing, but that I couldn't enjoy it despite wanting to. Bleh. :/

The imagery was good; a tad heavy handed, but good overall. The themes are still dead to me, though, which robs said imagery of its significance.
Dec 16, 2014 5:24 AM

Nov 2011
5/5

Maybe I can not find all the photos apt to describe the events, but everything else is almost excellent.
Plot that takes another step forward, I'm not complaining, but I think that it is enough after nine episodes a bit of maturity must be in Arima.
I noticed small smudge in the drawings, animations instead of good.
Really awesome the music heard today in this episode.
I'm curious to know the new character.
Dec 17, 2014 6:19 AM

Apr 2013
A+

It's amazing to finally see Arima developing as a person and a piano player. The animation, music, characters, and script are all top notch. I'm excited to see how the romance will progress.

This anime has a beautiful message that can applied to any goal in life.
Dec 17, 2014 8:04 PM

Dec 2009
And that performance is why i come back every week
Dec 18, 2014 4:19 AM

Dec 2013
This episode was amazing and the the transformations wow...

Loved it, how much he had to fight to finally be free. His mother finally smiled.

5/5. Great.
"No one knows what the future holds. That's why its potential is infinite.” - Okabe Rintarou

"El Psy Congroo."

Kirino Kyousake Picture
Dec 18, 2014 1:46 PM
Dec 2010
Wow, what a mixed bag of an episode. The first half was pretty annoying to me because at this point I'm just sick and tired of seeing his b!tch-a$$ mother and all the issues she causes, but the second half more than made up for it.

That said, I hope that at some point we will get a scene in which his mother dies due to being crushed by a falling piano, seems only appropriate.
Dec 18, 2014 8:19 PM

Nov 2013
I know this wouldn't really fit the story line, but if it were up to me I'd just put the damn kid into a Jazz band. Improvisation and adding your own personality is what Jazz is all about, exactly what the kid needs to learn.
Dec 20, 2014 2:12 AM

Jun 2010
amazing!
its totally reached me~
Dec 20, 2014 6:17 PM

Apr 2014
Kousei's character development in this episode was beautiful. The result of his playing has touched everyone watching-including me. I am so proud of him for being able to get rid of his mother's "puppet strings" and finally being able to play how he wants to play.

The way Kousei imagined Kaori during his performance was lovely and I enjoy their romance/relationship but "Only one person matters to me" sort of angered me. I don't want him to put aside Tsubaki and Ryouta who has been there with him longer than Kaori (yes, Kaori has given a bigger impact on Kousei but don't ignore the support his other friends have done for him)

The ending was really powerful, and the way it became more colorful as she smiled was tear-jerking. I feel as if that shows that he has truly gotten over her mother.
!!!NSFW!!!

Dec 21, 2014 3:03 AM

May 2010
So many monologues, I am getting tired. I cringe a little half the times he thinks of Kaori and says something. The whole episode took in front of the piano, I just couldn't enjoy it.

For me, this was the worst episode so far and I am a music/drama lover.
Dec 21, 2014 12:18 PM

Dec 2012
It.. it has been a while since an anime had my heart racing and having to pause the video just to walk around the house for a bit to catch up. My god. This. This is amazing. I did not even realize I was at episode 10.
Dec 21, 2014 6:09 PM

Oct 2011
suoarski said:
I know this wouldn't really fit the story line, but if it were up to me I'd just put the damn kid into a Jazz band. Improvisation and adding your own personality is what Jazz is all about, exactly what the kid needs to learn.

Wow, that would be awesome! hahaha
It would be like Sakamichi no Apollon

I'm so happy that he somehow did it >v<
Dec 21, 2014 6:39 PM
Mar 2013
I'm probably going to draw some hate but I really think they are drawing things out too much. I do love me some introspection and deep moments, but this literally took 2 episodes for one performance and they kept repeating the same words and ideals. I really do like this anime, just these past 2 episodes have been too much for me...
Dec 22, 2014 3:45 PM
Mar 2012
Dialogue content is a bit redundant/lengthy. I hope the "punishment" idea is finished & never mentioned again. But the 3-personality Kousei shown as live performances was crucial. His replay was amazing, where I could enjoy most this episode with eyes closed (a rarity where the unimportant visuals are more like an MV repeating flashbacks, and the focus is perceiving the musical change). Yes, treat this episode as an MV and it may be more enjoyable.
Dec 26, 2014 8:24 AM

Oct 2014
I have to agree that this whole mother and black cat issue dragged out for too long. Thank God it's over.
But finally! Kousei made it, his performance brings eargasm and I was mesmerized.
Who's that girl though?
"Having someone saying you're okay as you are and being needed by that person... It was nice to have someone like that..." — Taiga Aisaka
Dec 26, 2014 10:11 AM

Jul 2009
I actually am a bit angry with Kousei, why? I think it's unfair, Tsubaki and Watari were their friends for all those years, he just met Kaori now, and he said that only her matter, I know he is in love, but still...I think it was very selfish, like he don't care about his friends at all...poor Tsubaki...
Dec 30, 2014 1:50 PM
Apr 2014
Again? Come on... Fuck this. I have no problem with drama but at least don't repeat the same drama again and again. I bet we'll see him stop playing midway at least one more time. That's not over yet.

If it'd be that easy they could have left the last one out already.
Jan 3, 2015 3:36 AM

Apr 2013
Kousei had a rough start but that ending was amazing.
Jan 3, 2015 1:41 PM

Oct 2012
Beautiful... just beautiful. All the time I was thinking he is playing for Kaori but the end proved me I was wrong - he played for his mother, such a great twist to this already top episode. They really managed to change music into emotions and created worlds with it, it was extraordinary confession of torn soul and final resolution with Kousei's past.

Well done.
Jan 7, 2015 9:32 PM
Bunnies 🍓

Jan 2013
Don't they have an Audience Choice award that gives a participant a second chance to continue? Well not like it matters since the audience had no reaction to him, dead crowd. After all, who wouldn't be at a loss of words or be shocked after the performance Kousei gave. Sure he gave a brilliant and lovely performance once he gave it a another try but him stopping and losing focus brought him down.

Overall, Kousei did good imo. Despite the loss, it felt more like a win for Kousei since he was able to recover and play a beautiful song. The smile his mother gave Kousei was sweet, and Kousei is back.

Jan 8, 2015 2:42 PM
Jul 2018
Wonderful episode, I got goosebumps.
The moment when Kousei realized that he wants to play for Kaori... It was beautiful.
Jan 9, 2015 4:47 PM

Aug 2014
As usually he had a perfect start, but during his performance he fell down. He couldn't take away his feelings for his mother. But he can be always an interesting boy and finish the performance in his best! :)
Maloween 2017
Main Candies
Jan 13, 2015 10:55 PM

Jun 2008
Yes his drama is overplayed but that is the plot of the show at start. On how he gets out of that drama and back into music so it is to be expected. The author plays the cards he has. I don't find it as much over-melodramatic as you people make it out to be, i mean things Key makes and things like Ano Hana are ten times more melodramatic and stupid and everyone praises that shit.
I don't know, maybe because the drama isn't presented very otakuish(i think i invented a new word) like those shows that doesn't bother me as much.

The most ridiculous is the people yelling "i wish it focused on more on the music". What? Are you people fucking serious? The show can't do that shit. Who the fuck understands all that shit about details on how those classical pieces are played etc?
Very few that are very much into classical music and playing such instruments.
This ain't a sport anime were the game is clear and you can follow if you know the rules.
If the show was mostly about the music most will have nothing to watch.
Even sport anime are mostly about the characters so why will this be any different? If you just want to hear music just find the pieces in YouTube and sit there hearing them.
Of course it's gonna be a character story or else what the point. You people need to get real.
Jan 15, 2015 1:09 AM

May 2011
Literally teared up the moment Kousei's mother began to smile ;_;. I don't even know how that happened... but wow, I guess his emotions really got to me. And it was honestly really great to see him finally overcome his trauma involving his mother and discover a new reason to continue playing the piano. That was a truly breathtaking and beautiful performance. What a powerful episode.
ZeroZxJan 15, 2015 1:12 AM
Jan 31, 2015 5:46 AM

Dec 2014
Great episode ... Poor kousei though , Playing only for kaori. Reality will hit him hard if she dies by the end.
There’s no hope on the battlefield.
It has nothing but unspeakable despair.
Just a crime we call victory, paid for by the pain of the defeated.
Yet humanity has never recognized this truth.
And the reason for that is, in every era,
a dazzling hero has blinded people with their legends and prevented them from seeing the evil of bloodshed.
The true nature of humanity has not advanced a step beyond the Stone Age!
Feb 13, 2015 3:25 PM

Jul 2012
I don't even know what to say. This show leaves me speechless so many times. People always throw around that word, but just wow, I really know what it means to feel speechless now.
Feb 14, 2015 3:40 PM
Jun 2013
At times this is soooooooooooooooooo hard to watch. Borderline disturbing really.
But then that ending...I'm just happy that he's happy.
Feb 15, 2015 12:02 PM

Aug 2010
Great episode!!! I felt the struggle, I felt the peace afterwards! You've done well Kousei!!! Im glad they animated the whole scene of his playing and not cut it off somewhere! (or at least I think they didnt...)

One thing though, I'm worried with his 'my music is for one person only', 'only one person matters' reasons...what will happen if something happens to Kaori (she looks like she's really sick....)??? Would he then totally stop playing the piano??
Feb 18, 2015 3:48 PM

Nov 2012
Arima's mother, Arima's illusions of his mother, really contradict each other. To me it feels like Arima only thoughts about his mom is that she's mean, evil, but because she's his mom he 'loves' her, a love-hate relationship. And his 'punishment' is something he put upon himself since his last words with her was something about wishing for her to die. I think, as a mother, Arima's did indeed want Arima to become a great piano player, but forgot the fact that he's a child and needs to have other things (like friends).

Basically Arima's mother is actually good, nice, but too caught up on her goals in life that she neglects the basics of a growing up properly. She does indeed wish for the best of Arima, and wants to make sure that he gets there, like, through beatings and more.. hurtful things.

tl;dr - Good mother, trying way too hard.
I believe that unless you know for sure that you don't like a concept, you should keep exploring it. Whether it be characteristics of people or a genre of some sort, you never know if you don't like it until you've seen quality work corresponding to that genre. Keep exploring until you've found something you enjoy, or something of quality. Then you know what's bad, what's good, and what isn't for you.
( ・ㅂ・)و ̑̑ Everyday life.
Feb 22, 2015 3:15 AM

Dec 2012
I cried.

Kousei said This Isn't Even My Final Form!

Feb 24, 2015 3:22 PM

Jul 2014
10/10. I've never experienced this feeling with anime or manga before.
Mar 3, 2015 7:25 AM

Mar 2010
"I'll play for you"

That scene with Kaori sleeping in the classroom was really nice.
Mar 5, 2015 6:52 AM

Jun 2011
Almost cried when I saw Arima's mother smile at the end. Now I hope all these repeating disturbing images of his mother will stop here, I thought it was way too overdone to the point it bores me, it lost it's effect after used repeatedly.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Mar 5, 2015 6:52 AM

Jun 2011
Almost cried when I saw Arima's mother smile at the end. Now I hope all these repeating disturbing images of his mother will stop here, I thought it was way too overdone to the point it bores me, it lost it's effect after used repeatedly.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Mar 18, 2015 3:58 PM

Jul 2012
My 2nd time through and I was still overwhelmed with the emotions emanateed from this episode. What an amazing performance.
Mar 19, 2015 5:16 PM

Mar 2012
Pretty great music once he got a hold of himself. Seeing the ghost of his mother smiling surely means he's free of his trauma now.
Mar 22, 2015 4:22 PM

Nov 2013
Episodes 9 and 10 should have been a single episode. The show managed to grab my attention with a new dramatic turn, and then decided to go in circles for half an hour repeating the same shit over and over again.
They better give some characterization tho Arima's mother.
Mar 24, 2015 3:00 AM

Dec 2012
Absolutely love the imagery they used when Arima transformed and started playing at his A-game. I like how rather than directly overcoming his mother's shadow with willpower, he found a new reason to play. As Kaori said some episodes ago, music transcends words and the execution of it all was breathtaking and mesmerizing.
Mar 27, 2015 12:51 AM
Mar 2015
Kousei actually said that Kaori is the only one that matters to him. They are truly two of a kind birds of one feather.
Mar 29, 2015 8:48 AM

Aug 2013
So beautiful.. what can I say.
Pages (7) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jan 8, 2015

243 by Miyakirauhciyama »»
6 hours ago

» Let me share my experience to re-watching it again

GuyWithoutFear - Apr 13

1 by falko92 »»
Apr 20, 5:27 PM

Poll: » Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Feb 5, 2015

295 by kyledluffy »»
Apr 16, 11:18 PM

Poll: » Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 19, 2015

1174 by LordArmandtrox »»
Apr 16, 9:07 PM

Poll: » Is this worth watching even if you got spoiled on the ending ? ( 1 2 )

Mister_WD - Apr 23, 2022

70 by patkarunungan »»
Apr 15, 11:53 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.