Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 17, 2009 2:37 AM

Jun 2009
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Judging by Mitaka's last line we won't be seeing him the rest of the series. I've got to say the scenes between him and Asuna were really well done and his final conversation with Godai was memorable, even though not much was said. Of course, if he does appear again, these last few sentences will have been for not.

Kozue made another appearence, if only to stir up trouble between Kyoko and Godai. I kind of dislike the show using her as a plot device, but at least they gave her a reason for meeting Godai. I also feel as though this may be her last appearance as well, though I'm not really sure on this one.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Nov 17, 2009 6:32 AM

Feb 2009
I thought this episode was a beautiful way to effectively bring Mitaka's storyline to a close. This is a man who is tired of fighting, tired of resisting, tired of the "fake smiles" and is looking forward to a fresh start with a woman who is able to see him honestly.

I also like that Asuna is much more perceptive than she lets on.

May 8, 2010 10:47 PM

Jul 2007
Kozue!!!!!!! why did that just happen?!?!?!?
Aug 13, 2010 3:51 AM

Sep 2008
Hooray for Mitaka.
I love how Asuna referred to herself as second place. It really digs into your heart.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 26, 2010 6:55 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
One of the things I've liked about the series is they actually took the opportunity to flesh out Mitaka, when it could have been easy to leave him as a two dimensional rival of Godai's. The last couple of episodes, though, have really made him more human. The way he makes his peace with Godai is just heartwarming. I also love the way in which he and Asuna finally find some common ground to build upon.

It's a fantastic way to close out a character who's been through such a great development in these last episodes. It would have been very easy to leave someone like Mitaka as a two dimensional, stock character- the rich, good looking guy that every "average joe" hates- but throughout this story, and particularly these last few episodes, he's taken on a few dimensions that one never would have imagined earlier on.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Jun 18, 2011 1:41 AM

Feb 2010
Poor Mitaka. Asuna is great match, but marriage shouldn't be a hesitant decision. Their attitude is unique: learn to love one another in marriage rather than marry to prove love. Risky IMO, but at least optimistic.

Also, Kozue outta nowhere.
Aug 8, 2011 8:43 AM

Jun 2009
What the heck is going on here? What didn't Kyoko realise that Nanao was Godai's gf?
Aug 8, 2011 8:51 AM

Jun 2009
insan3soldiern said:
Kozue made another appearence, if only to stir up trouble between Kyoko and Godai. I kind of dislike the show using her as a plot device, but at least they gave her a reason for meeting Godai. I also feel as though this may be her last appearance as well, though I'm not really sure on this one.

They are trying to get rid of Nanao obvious, even though in a hurried and gross manner
Jan 12, 2012 4:27 AM

Sep 2008
Marzan said:
One of the things I've liked about the series is they actually took the opportunity to flesh out Mitaka, when it could have been easy to leave him as a two dimensional rival of Godai's. The last couple of episodes, though, have really made him more human.

Definitely agree with that last sentence. These last couple of episodes have humanized Mitaka more than any other episodes in the series. Already in the last episode I felt, actually, pretty heartbroken for him already. When he fell on the floor of his apartment after finding out the truth and blamed his dog for ruining his life, I did sort of agree with him. He ended up making a huge life decision based on a misunderstanding. Of course that's going to hurt. Poor guy.

Despite that, he was quite noble in this episode, especially when he was talking to Asuna in his room and, in his head, saying good-bye to Kyoko and giving up on her, finally.

hellogoodbye said:
Their attitude is unique: learn to love one another in marriage rather than marry to prove love. Risky IMO, but at least optimistic.

At least it's a far better attitude than most couples had towards arranged marriages in the past! It seemed that it used to be just "marry and tolerate each other", or something like that.
Jun 19, 2012 12:04 PM

Jan 2010
*shock*
she kissed him...AAAAA !!!
Jul 19, 2012 1:00 AM

Oct 2009
I have to say this was an excellent episode. That scene with Mitaka and Asuna in the bedroom was very touching, it was nice to see that they were actually getting along!
Very smooth Kozue-chan! I think we can tell by Kyoko's face that something juicy is underway. Obviously that finally hit the right nerve to get her to wake up and admit her feelings for Godai. =)
El Psy Congroo

まだまだだね!!!
Aug 5, 2013 11:05 AM
Aug 2007
Nice end for Mitaka.. I hope he has a great life.

Also. Kozue finally shows up. And obviously Kyoko is at the right place at the right time watching as she kisses him... she looked pretty angry/shocked. I hope this won't start another arc where Godai tries to sort out more misunderstandings.
Jun 29, 2014 6:53 PM

Mar 2010
another cinema quality episode, but jeeze

what a cornball.
MyLonesomeCowboyJun 29, 2014 6:56 PM
Jul 8, 2014 11:42 AM

Jun 2010
Wow, Kozue has really matured off-screen. The last time she had any significant screen-time (and wow, when was that?) she seemed like a shallow, silly girl. I wonder if she now realizes how phony her relationship with Godai is. She didn't know he was working at the cabaret, didn't know he was having his finals, and I'm sure doesn't know he decided to become a preschool teacher.
May 6, 2015 4:41 AM

Nov 2014
That last scene with Asuna and Mitaka was just perfect.

Although I think the placement of the eyecatch was very unfortunate, it kind of lessened the impact of Mitaka's final line.

Oh and finally Kozue's returned I was wondering where she went, how long has it even been since her last appearance?
Bubcus993May 6, 2015 5:16 PM
Oct 20, 2015 10:53 PM
May 2015
Wow! Amazing! What a way to end the Mitaka-Asuna arc! I'm spellbound!
The art style of Kyoko is changed?? She looks little bit of different.
Jan 3, 2016 4:54 AM

Dec 2014
ok so mitaka chapter finally over and then when things about to get good kozue poops up such drama
May 13, 2016 7:07 PM

Jan 2013
Amazing ending to the Mitaka/Asuna arc. At the beginning he looks so perfect, confident and sure of himself, almost invulnerable to bad luck and misunderstandings that our Godai are accustomed to.The Mitaka/Asuna arc done a great job breaking down Mitaka's character piece by piece, chipping away the suppose rich smug persona making him more human, and sympathetic. Asuna came off more than a love stuck teen, she much more aware and mature than I though she would be. I found her to be extremely admirable, very happy she got a happy ending. Best girl Asuna!

And Kyoko still denies that they are more than friends......-_-

ANd Kozue is back and she isn't as cheery and seemingly more mature. And yay another misunderstanding coming your way.
not a fan of the change in art design.
BornWithCHeeSeMay 14, 2016 6:51 AM
Jul 25, 2016 11:11 AM

Feb 2014
I guess we aren't going to see anymore of Mitaka. I couldn't stand the guy throughout the series and dreaded every episode he was going to show up in, but this arc did a great job at turning him into a sympathetic character.

And just when I was wondering whatever happened to Kozue, she comes along, screws things up and runs away.
Aug 11, 2016 8:48 PM

Jan 2013
OMG so much trouuble.

Though I really liked the scene with Asuna and Mitaka
Jun 29, 2017 12:12 PM

May 2009
ArnoldK said:
I thought this episode was a beautiful way to effectively bring Mitaka's storyline to a close. This is a man who is tired of fighting, tired of resisting, tired of the "fake smiles" and is looking forward to a fresh start with a woman who is able to see him honestly.

I also like that Asuna is much more perceptive than she lets on.

I also hope they learn to love together as they begin a new journey together.

As for Godai's situation with Kozue...This will be a doozy! I mean, it looks like Kozue is conflicted on whether she should continue her "relationship" with Godai, or go with her coworker/highschool friend who's had a crush on her but she never knew. And Kyoko looks like she wants to snap, which is not good for Godai.
Aug 7, 2017 10:14 PM

Apr 2014
at this point in the series when i first watched i was like was there really a need to bring back Kozue

honestly though just felt forced to bring her back just to make drama and to drag things a bit

but on the other hand i love how they ended things with Mitaka was really nice to see him actually likable especially after that creeper stuff he was doing few eps ago

all in all am still glad he ended up with Asuna as she's the better girl
DazeFireAug 7, 2017 10:18 PM
"one step at a time"
Nov 14, 2017 12:20 PM

May 2015
Lol i thought Kozue died somewhere in this series :D WHY DID they bring her back? Now it's all mess.

RIP Mitaka.
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Nov 29, 2017 5:40 PM

Jun 2016
I enjoyed the first half of this episode a lot. Mikata’s story at this point is quite heartwarming. The connection between his tennis match and current situation was quite a nice way to explore his personality.
Good episode!
Mar 1, 2018 6:08 AM

Mar 2014
They changed drawing style of Kyoko? She looked ugly in this episode.

Mitaka conversation with Asuna was great. They are finally getting to know each other and it gives hope for the future love development. Asuna humbly acknowledged that she was a second place prize for Mitaka. She easily discovered Mitaka's true feelings so maybe they are destined for each other after all.
May 1, 2018 8:31 PM

Jun 2016
This is probably the best episode of Maison Ikkoku yet for Mitaka's part alone. Great way to close his story. On top of that, I loved the slight art style change in the episode. Hopefully the rest of the show stays that way.

Also based on the next episode preview, looks like we're in for more misunderstandings. Yay.
May 14, 2018 10:39 PM
Nov 2016
I don't know if a fresh animator came on for this episode, but several scenes have fantastic character animation that really stands out. They brought the characters to life in a way that you don't typically see in this series.

I'm mostly watching at this point to see the relationships resolve, but originally for the art and ambiance and the slice-of-life feel. This series is *super frustrating* on so many levels, but that crunchy 80s realism in analog, the fashion, the music, the culure, etc. are all dreamily magnetic throughout. But above everything else, this episode in particular stands out on the animation front.
ZhetaMay 14, 2018 10:50 PM
Mar 20, 2019 12:47 PM

Nov 2016
Really nice how Takahashi eventually wrapped up Mitakas storyline. Some aspects of his personality were rather annoying at first, but especially towards the end he showed traits which I personally appreciate and I even found myself taking a liking to him. So yeah, his portion of the episode was emotional to say the leastbut damn dude, what do you mean you only kissed her ? baka

And oh boy, here comes already the next misunderstanding. Kozue's life goes well, the only thing bugging her are her extant feelings for Godai. Let's see how the situation is gonna get resolved and if there will be a tremendous aftermath.
FMmatronMar 20, 2019 1:57 PM

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Sep 22, 2019 10:08 AM

Jul 2015
Oh Kozue is back, really thought they already drifted apart enough to not see each other romantically anymore, looks like this will become the last romantic hurdle...at least I hope so

Mitaka is falling in love with Asuna because she noticed his real feelings, I can feel it

Jan 28, 2020 9:45 AM
Jan 2020
8 episodes left and godai is still spineless
Apr 1, 2020 4:26 PM
Feb 2018
Wow. We got to really see Mitaka go from a rich cocky guy go down to being a human who has personal issues deep down. Basically Mitaka is stuck in a formal engagement now with no possibility of just leaving Asuna. So he realizes he needs to let Kyoko go. He meets with Godai at the park and admits he's probably not the right man for Kyoko then he leaves. We got to see some more backstory from when Mitaka was in 9th grade he got 2nd place in a Tennis Tournament and he smiled as if he was happy. Asuna told him that he still has that same unhappy fake smile around her, acknowledging that she knows that Mitaka is unhappy and doesn't really love her. THEN finally Mitaka gets along with her and realizes that what she said was true and that they both need to make happiness for themselves and he decided to move on from Kyoko. Settling down with the sweet Asuna and doing what they both can to make things work and to learn to love one another. He was just drained and tired of chasing after someone who didn't share feelings for him like he did for Kyoko. So he chose to grow up and settle down with Asuna. I seen it coming but I can't believe it finally happened. I felt kinda sad when he said, "Goodbye, Ms. Otanashi". So we see Kozue once again with a guy she went to school with who wants to marry her. Kozue then decides to go see Godai and try to win his heart by kissing him in hope's to screw over his closeness to Kyoko, quite selfish.
Dec 29, 2020 3:50 PM
Sep 2013
The character development on this show is phenomenal. Agree with everyones take in this thread.
Jan 7, 2021 11:35 PM
Jan 2021
I hate Asuna. Kyoko's broom has more personality than her.
She faints every 2 seconds just at the sight of her love interest (that's some cliché you'd find in those cheap novels aimed at women decades ago) and she would kill herself over some dude she barely knows.
She doesn't even know anything about Mitaka. What is she so in love with? Some ideal of him. Completely unrealistic. That's how a teen girl would be. Not a grown woman.
Characters like these piss me off. They're so unrealistic and she belongs to the 19th century maybe but the incels see this sort of female character as a waifu... If a woman was like this now it'd be a disgrace. Your life doesn't revolve around some guy you barely know.
It's so irritating how she speaks and acts like she's scared of her own shadow. I'm watching the series in Japanese with English subtitles. Her voice is annoying to me.
I hoped Mitaka would get something better. Not be duped into marrying this cabbage girl who is gonna faint just if you look at her. Come on. I can imagine the fun and interesting conversations with Asuna in between a fainting spell here and there 😩
Kyoko has her fair share of flaws and irritating traits but she's a lot more realistic as a woman than Asuna.

I don't get why Mitaka can't call off the engagement since it was based on Asuna being pregnant and she isn't. His parents had gone to dinner with Kyoko's parents. They knew he was interested in Kyoko. What's the big issue with calling everything off? Asuna was gonna cancel it she had said before. If it was possible for her then why not for him? I know they have different customs but still... Mitaka was shown as not being afraid of going against his family to pursue his desires. And his parents seemed easy-going enough.
The way that misunderstanding happened was so silly anyway. She knew Mitaka didn't know their dogs mated so why didn't she explain that? How the hell was Mitaka supposed to get she was on about the dog? She knew he had passed out when all that happened. Clearly a case of the creator wanting things to go that way artificially but it's not very realistic. She also kept saying babies... Plural. Mitaka could have asked if she was then expecting twins or something. If you're pregnant you don't say babies but baby normally.
AzukaaJan 7, 2021 11:51 PM
Mar 15, 2021 5:45 PM
Sep 2016
Well, the first half of this episode was phenomenal, really well done and touching, best writing in the series so far. Second half is back to the basic misunderstandingcore. Oh well.
May 9, 2021 6:46 AM

May 2019
Really nice closure for Mitaka as a character that I actually respect a lot.

Jun 4, 2021 3:16 AM

Jan 2018
ekla said:
The art style of Kyoko is changed?? She looks little bit of different.
So I wasn't the only one who thought of this. She seemed much gloomier than usual which makes sense in the context of the series.
Bubcus993 said:
That last scene with Asuna and Mitaka was just perfect.

Although I think the placement of the eyecatch was very unfortunate, it kind of lessened the impact of Mitaka's final line.
Yes, it bothers me that this show never changed the eyecatches since the first episode. In this episode only the first eyecatch seemed to have changed but I think it was temporary. Only 8 episodes are left tho so I doubt they'll be using different and new ones for those episodes, unless I'm wrong. We've come a long way.
0451Jun 4, 2021 3:20 AM
Jun 4, 2021 3:26 AM

Jan 2018
Wasn’t expecting the first half from last episode's preview. I like how this anime subverts expectations and how the previews are NEVER honest.
So we get a closure on Mitaka's arc finally, this time for sure. I always liked Asuna so I appreciated her interactions with Mitaka in his room. It proves that she actually cares and knows more about him than Kyoko ever did.

Azukaa said:
Characters like these piss me off. They're so unrealistic and she belongs to the 19th century maybe but the incels see this sort of female character as a waifu...
Ah yes, anybody who disagrees with you is an incel.
Jun 4, 2021 4:05 AM
Jan 2021
0451 said:
Wasn’t expecting the first half from last episode's preview. I like how this anime subverts expectations and how the previews are NEVER honest.
So we get a closure on Mitaka's arc finally, this time for sure. I always liked Asuna so I appreciated her interactions with Mitaka in his room. It proves that she actually cares and knows more about him than Kyoko ever did.

Azukaa said:
Characters like these piss me off. They're so unrealistic and she belongs to the 19th century maybe but the incels see this sort of female character as a waifu...

I didn't call incel anyone who disagrees with me. I didn't say all the ones who like her are incels either.
It's a general observation. That character is the sort of character that incels call a waifu. A woman with no spine, who faints every time a male speaks a word to her and so on. She's a typical incel fantasy type of woman. That doesn't necessarily imply you're an incel if you like her. Depends on your motivations for liking her I would guess.
If you're not an incel you don't need to get offended, mate.
Jun 4, 2021 4:22 AM

Jan 2018
Azukaa said:
0451 said:

I didn't call incel anyone who disagrees with me. I didn't say all the ones who like her are incels either.
It's a general observation. That character is the sort of character that incels call a waifu. A woman with no spine, who faints every time a male speaks a word to her and so on. She's a typical incel fantasy type of woman. That doesn't necessarily imply you're an incel if you like her. Depends on your motivations for liking her I would guess.
If you're not an incel you don't need to get offended, mate.
You said many things here that I didn’t agree with. I chose that one to reply with because it was the most absurd. No, you didn’t "offend" me. I simply hate generalizations and I also disliked the way you looked at Asuna's character and various other things.
Jun 12, 2021 12:14 AM

Jul 2020
Gosh dang Kozue making life complicated again huh, and Kyoko just happened to see that? This show really loves making consequences that influence the stories direction huh
Jan 8, 2022 5:11 AM

Nov 2008
I liked how Mitaka dealt with being engaged now. It was a nice couple of scenes. But then slammed my bed when Kyoko saw Godai and Kazue and muttered, "This is so stupid." Just lazy storytelling right there. What are the chances even that she'd be there right as they kissed? He's not even staying at his apartment at the moment, so it's not like they'd likely be taking the same route through the city.
EzekielJan 8, 2022 5:33 AM

Oct 2, 2022 10:28 PM
May 2018
that ending shot of Kyouko looking like she's having a mental breakdown with tense music/sounds playing was crazy. I didn't think she'd have so much faith in Godai, or be that affected by him kissing someone. seemed out of character, but from a filmmaking perspective it was cool to see something so different from the rest of the show :)
Jun 17, 2023 3:24 PM

May 2016
I thought Asuna gonna tell him to disengage but I guess that's not gonna happen since Kyoko already declined, that would have made him stay single.

Man why did she had to kiss right in front of Kyoko...
Jul 27, 2023 12:15 AM

May 2022
Slight change in art style and bump in animation flow - looked good, not movie levels but best so far.

Way more serious tone in this episode than even in the previous one, you know we are closing on in the end game here.

Mitaka san denying Godai san's wishes for happiness drew tears to my eyes. He had every right to deny it though :(

It was great to watch how Asuna san put all the puzzle pieces together, from the tennis pic and the damaged trophy, and figured out that she was the second place trophy, she is a smart girl. Just because someone smiles, doesn't mean they are happy.

Now that Mitaka san is out of the picture, the tenants try to push Kyoko-Godai relationship forward - but Kyoko san is the usual hard headed herself again. I don't understand why Kyoko san was questioning herself; "Why did I come to see Godai san?" He would be happy just to see a glimpse of you!

Kozue chan looked lovely as ever but I guess they have to end her story too, tha's why she is back now. How occassionally have Godai san and Kozue chan actually been seeing? Not at all on screen I say.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Maison Ikkoku Episode 7 Discussion

hellogoodbye - Jun 2, 2011

20 by breddie_sucks »»
Apr 14, 9:31 AM

Poll: » Maison Ikkoku Episode 63 Discussion

Ston3_FreeN7 - Nov 9, 2009

30 by alexrawk »»
Apr 11, 4:07 PM

Poll: » Maison Ikkoku Episode 6 Discussion

Ston3_FreeN7 - Oct 25, 2009

28 by _untitled »»
Apr 2, 5:26 AM

Poll: » Maison Ikkoku Episode 5 Discussion

hellogoodbye - May 31, 2011

27 by _untitled »»
Apr 2, 4:48 AM

Poll: » Maison Ikkoku Episode 4 Discussion

good-time - Jul 28, 2010

19 by _untitled »»
Apr 2, 2:20 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.