Forum Settings
Forums
New
Dec 9, 2014 9:42 PM

Apr 2014
(Note that anime movies are excluded)

Ok. Put yourself in the shoes of a conservative, protective, American mother. Pretty much the norm here in America. Now I was thinking about an anime series to have my 9-year old cousin watch and get into, and one that would both hold his attention throughout (cuzz he's 9) AND would get the stamp of approval from his mom. Bottom line, I really couldn't think of many that met both those criteria.

Things like Naruto and Dragon Ball Z came to mind, but you the soccer mom might have some problems with all the fighting and (mild) blood. And they're way too long to hold a kid's attention for long.

Most kids would find Usagi Drop and the like too boring, so those generally rated-G Slice of Lifes and Comedies go out the window. Also, keep in mind kids between 6-12 can't really keep up with subbed animes easily, so those go out too~

Borderline animes like SAO, Steins;Gate, and Trigun also get thrown out for having stuff in them later that most soccer moms would have problems with (Tentacle rape anyone?)

So I'm left with with just 2 animes that should pass: Digimon Frontier and Log Horizon. That's what I managed to narrow it down to with the handful of anime I've seen and these restrictions in place.

TL;DR: I'm curious if you guys can name any other anime series' that you think can air during primetime television on standard cartoon channels like Nickelodeon. Something with absolutely no fan service, blood, mild language, excessive violence or fight scenes real-life or real-looking weapons, or extremely emotional scenes at all and anything else I might be missing --- and it has to be able to hold the attention span of kids between 6-12 years old (so not long) AND be soccer mom approved.

Even if you'd be ok with your kids watching Trigun or Naruto, right now you're a conservative soccer mom that helped get GTA V banned from Target Australia. If you want to make it harder, no subs either. And then maybe discuss if you think this is a problem.
Pages (8) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Dec 9, 2014 9:45 PM

Apr 2013
Pokémon.
Dec 9, 2014 9:46 PM
Apr 2013
Doraemon
Dec 9, 2014 9:46 PM

Jun 2014
Some are. Pokemon, Aikatsu, and Aurora Dream are three examples.
Dec 9, 2014 9:47 PM

Feb 2014
Slices of life could probably pass as kid appropriate (Non Non Biyori, Barakamon, etc.) but anything other than that is a no go

Dec 9, 2014 9:48 PM

Aug 2013
I have no idea......maybe working!!?

Oct 2014
I grew up watching Pokemon and yu gi oh, they were quite kid friendly.

Apr 2014
Sloth_ said:
Pokémon.
Pokemon is way too long, but it's episodic so it doesn't really matter. And soccer moms might think it's trying to convert their kids to atheism, or the devil. It always changes.
Dec 9, 2014 9:49 PM

Feb 2014
Protaku94 said:
Sloth_ said:
Pokémon.
Pokemon is way too long, but it's episodic so it doesn't really matter. And soccer moms might think it's trying to convert their kids to atheism, or the devil. It always changes.
Pokemon politics are the best

Dec 9, 2014 9:55 PM

Apr 2014
Anti_Meta said:
Slices of life could probably pass as kid appropriate (Non Non Biyori, Barakamon, etc.) but anything other than that is a no go
Yeah, but most Slice of Life's can't entertain an energetic 9-year old :/ Action or comedy works fine, but most are not Mom approved.
Dec 9, 2014 9:56 PM

Jun 2014
Yes the difference is that japan isnt afraid to show their children a little graphical content wheras North America tries to shield the kids from watching shows w/ slightly mature themes
Dec 9, 2014 9:57 PM

Aug 2014
My list is full of anime for kids. ( minus To aru majutsu no index + Railgun, Spiral and Steins; Gate )

There's Kamen Rider SD, Iron Man, Pokemon, The Ultraman ( This is not on my list but I know it's for kids because I watched a clip on 新ウルトラマン列伝 ( whatever the hell that means in English ) ). There's a few others I can name but nothing comes to mind right now.
Dec 9, 2014 9:59 PM

Sep 2012
It's for adults who are still children on the inside. And I don't mean that in a good way.

So yes.
Dec 9, 2014 10:00 PM

Apr 2014
Qans said:
Yes the difference is that japan isnt afraid to show their children a little graphical content wheras North America tries to shield the kids from watching shows w/ slightly mature themes
I second this. I hate how even the small things get censored here in America when on television. All those censored Pokemon episodes . . . One was censored for just showing a real gun. So kiss Trigun bye bye lol.
Dec 9, 2014 10:02 PM

Nov 2011
Aikatsu
Pretty Rhythm series
Pretty Cure series
Lucky Star
Minami-ke
Shugo Chara!
Doraemon
Yumeiro Pâtissière

and plenty more
You can buy lossless digital music from your favorite Japanese artists on https://ototoy.jp/.
The songs are all DRM-free and you can re-download your purchased albums as you wish.
Show your support to your favorite artist if you can!
ps. if you are looking for Japanese albums, you have to search it in Japanese (not romaji). Just copy and paste the name.

For those who want to learn Japanese through anime
Resources for learning the language

May 2013
I can only think of a handful which mainly consist of Pokemon, Yu-gi-oh, Tokyo Mew Mew or Sailor Moon even maybe. Now I think of it, most aren't kid friendly.
Nobody

Jul 2013
Protaku94 said:
Sloth_ said:
Pokémon.
Pokemon is way too long, but it's episodic so it doesn't really matter

Firstly, 800 episodes isn't long, it would only take a couple of months to watch and is entertaining...well maybe not the B&W series, but the rest definitely, stop being soft

Seondly the series isn't episodic, every episode is key to the story (excluding the 1 off...like every other series), Ash needs these episodes so his pokemon can become more powerful so he's able to beat the league and become a pokemon master
Dec 9, 2014 10:03 PM

Apr 2014
MechaKiryu said:
My list is full of anime for kids. ( minus To aru majutsu no index + Railgun, Spiral and Steins; Gate )

I can't speak for the other two, but Steins;Gate is really not a kids anime. Because it can't really grasp their attention for long (with all the talking and theory), and the scenes later on that are too extreme for primetime television (the fake rape, the shootout, the grabbing of the crotches, etc.)
Dec 9, 2014 10:06 PM

Jan 2009
One Piece?
Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood?

Jun 2014
MechaKiryu said:

There's Kamen Rider SD, Iron Man, Pokemon, The Ultraman ( This is not on my list but I know it's for kids because I watched a clip on 新ウルトラマン列伝 ( whatever the hell that means in English ) ). There's a few others I can name but nothing comes to mind right now.

Steins Gate and Index aren't really kids anime. When I think of kids anime, stuff like Aurora Dream come to mind.

Oct 2014
I grew up with Digimon and Captain Tsubasa.

But the one that I remembered the most is Honey Bee Hutch. If you're asking the very, very first anime to make me cry, then that's that. My very first melodrama anime.

I wonder, am I the only one who grew up with Hutch?
HOW TO SAVE ANIME IN THREE SIMPLE STEPS

1. To have Mars of Destruction, Skelter Heaven, and Pupa properly adapted in TV series form by Madhouse
  2. To have Inferno Cop properly adapted in TV series form by Bones, director: Urobuchi Gen
  3. An anime crossover of Mushishi x ARIA x Haibane Renmei.

Should even one of the above conditions cannot be done, anime is still at risk.
Dec 9, 2014 10:07 PM

Apr 2014
JOAOAA said:
Protaku94 said:
Pokemon is way too long, but it's episodic so it doesn't really matter

Firstly, 800 episodes isn't long, it would only take a couple of months to watch and is entertaining...well maybe not the B&W series, but the rest definitely, stop being soft

Seondly the series isn't episodic, every episode is key to the story (excluding the 1 off...like every other series), Ash needs these episodes so his pokemon can become more powerful so he's able to beat the league and become a pokemon master
Not sure if trolling or serious . . . Either way, Pokemon is evil and shit, and promotes the evil that is evolution.

Am I doing it right?
Dec 9, 2014 10:08 PM

Aug 2014
Protaku94 said:
MechaKiryu said:

I can't speak for the other two, but Steins;Gate is really not a kids anime. Because it can't really grasp their attention for long (with all the talking and theory), and the scenes later on that are too extreme for primetime television (the fake rape, the shootout, the grabbing of the crotches, etc.)
Dude, I said minus steins; Gate for a reason...
Dec 9, 2014 10:08 PM

Apr 2014
MechaKiryu said:
Protaku94 said:

Lol I didn't catch that. Well I feel dumb. Its late and I'm procrastinating OK
Dec 9, 2014 10:09 PM

Aug 2014
Kagami_Hiiragi said:
MechaKiryu said:

Steins Gate and Index aren't really kids anime. When I think of kids anime, stuff like Aurora Dream come to mind.
I never said they were.
Dec 9, 2014 10:09 PM

Aug 2014
Red_Keys said:
It's for adults who are still children on the inside. And I don't mean that in a good way.

So yes.

So what are adults supposed to watch?

Only thing I watch on TV/computer for entertainment asides from anime are sports and a movie every now and then
oooo3333Dec 9, 2014 10:13 PM
Dec 9, 2014 10:10 PM

Aug 2014
Protaku94 said:
MechaKiryu said:
This was the part for kids.

"There's Kamen Rider SD, Iron Man, Pokemon, The Ultraman ( This is not on my list but I know it's for kids because I watched a clip on 新ウルトラマン列伝 ( whatever the hell that means in English ) ). There's a few others I can name but nothing comes to mind right now."
Dec 9, 2014 10:10 PM

Jun 2014
Protaku94 said:
MechaKiryu said:

I missed that too.

REKT by a kid, damn it.
Dec 9, 2014 10:11 PM

Apr 2014
MechaKiryu said:
Protaku94 said:

"There's Kamen Rider SD, Iron Man, Pokemon, The Ultraman ( This is not on my list but I know it's for kids because I watched a clip on 新ウルトラマン列伝 ( whatever the hell that means in English ) ). There's a few others I can name but nothing comes to mind right now."
I haven't seen any of those besides Pokemon, but even that is debatable nowadays.

Aug 2014
Kagami_Hiiragi said:
Protaku94 said:

I missed that too.

REKT by a kid, damn it.
360 NOSCOPE M8!!!

Nov 2014
Minami-ke all seasons!
The preview is in my signature!

Nobody

Jul 2013
Protaku94 said:
JOAOAA said:

Not sure if trolling or serious . . . Either way, Pokemon is evil and shit, and promotes the evil that is evolution.

Am I doing it right?
>Only watched pokemon movies
>calls it shit

dude go watch the actually series, no wonder why you're thinking pokemon is episodic

also it isn't evil, it is the friendliest show someone could watch and it will always make you happy
Dec 9, 2014 10:12 PM

Jun 2014
y123y said:
Red_Keys said:

So yes.

Only thing I watch on TV/computer asides from anime are sports and a movie every now and then

Apparently adults are forced to follow some entertainment code to avoid being an adult who is a kid inside.
Dec 9, 2014 10:16 PM

Aug 2014
Protaku94 said:
MechaKiryu said:

I haven't seen any of those besides Pokemon, but even that is debatable nowadays.
Kamen Rider and Ultraman is for kids. Does this look like something bad for children lol?

This is not from the anime but pretty much all the Ultraman series are similar in some way.
Dec 9, 2014 10:18 PM

Apr 2014
JOAOAA said:
Protaku94 said:

Am I doing it right?
>calls it shit

dude go watch the actually series, no wonder why you're thinking pokemon is episodic

also it isn't evil, it is the friendliest show someone could watch and it will always make you happy
I'm watching X and Y right now, good sir. And I've seen hundreds of Pokemon episodes in my life --- just not in order. And if episodic means the episodes don't have anything to with each other, it's SUPER episodic. I skipped all of B and W, and it still feels like Ash is coming to Kalos from Sinnoh.

And Pokemon IS evil. Didn't you hear it promotes the devil on the news???
Dec 9, 2014 10:24 PM

Aug 2014
Protaku94 said:
JOAOAA said:
>calls it shit

I'm watching X and Y right now, good sir. And I've seen hundreds of Pokemon episodes in my life --- just not in order. And if episodic means the episodes don't have anything to with each other, it's SUPER episodic. I skipped all of B and W, and it still feels like Ash is coming to Kalos from Sinnoh.

And Pokemon IS evil. Didn't you hear it promotes the devil on the news???

He still hasnt caught them all.....
Dec 9, 2014 10:25 PM

Apr 2014
MechaKiryu said:
Protaku94 said:
Kamen Rider and Ultraman is for kids. Does this look like something bad for children lol?

This is not from the anime but pretty much all the Ultraman series are similar in some way.
I'd hate to say it, but I get the impression that kids would associate this with Power Rangers, and therefore the un-cool, at least the ones I know.
Dec 9, 2014 10:26 PM

Sep 2012
y123y said:
Red_Keys said:

So yes.

Only thing I watch on TV/computer for entertainment asides from anime are sports and a movie every now and then
Whatever they want.
Dec 9, 2014 10:28 PM

Apr 2014
y123y said:
He still hasnt caught them all.....
I don't know what you're talking about. Hurry and watch Pokemon so you can convert to satan.

lol <_<
Dec 9, 2014 10:29 PM

Oct 2009
Some are, some aren't.
Dec 9, 2014 10:35 PM

Aug 2014
Protaku94 said:
MechaKiryu said:

I'd hate to say it, but I get the impression that kids would associate this with Power Rangers, and therefore the un-cool, at least the ones I know.
They're actually part of the same genre ( Tokusatsu ) but Power Rangers is a rip off of Super Sentai. If you'd watch at least one series ( I recommend Ultraman Nexus ) you'd see that it's really quite different and better.
Dec 9, 2014 10:38 PM

Apr 2014
MechaKiryu said:
They're actually part of the same genre ( Tokusatsu ) but Power Rangers is a rip off of Super Sentai. If you'd watch at least one series ( I recommend Ultraman Nexus ) you'd see that it's really quite different and better.
I did hear the roots of Power Rangers were Asian so you're probably right. And yeah I might try it sometime, but these kids . . . they'll just make fun of the characters on screen.
Dec 9, 2014 10:44 PM

Aug 2013
Qans said:

Tell that to 90's cartoons
Dec 9, 2014 10:46 PM

Oct 2013
It's hard to recommend you a good kids show because even if Japan markets shows towards kids, they are still much more mature and violent that the kids shows that America produces. Compare stuff like DBZ to Spongebob.

That being said, even though I haven't watched it, I remember someone telling me Dennou Coil was for kids, even though I doubt it a little. And even if it was for kids, it doesn't have a dub, so idk if its good for kids as it is.

If your cousin is a girl, try some magical girl shit like Sailor Moon, Cardcaptor Sakura, Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha, etc.

There are a lot of great anime movies for kids though. Anything from Ghibli (except, god forbid, Grave of the Fireflies), the movies by Mamoru Hisoda, etc.

Other than that, youre stuck with stuff like Yu Gi Oh, Pokemon, Beyblade, etc.
Dec 9, 2014 10:48 PM
Feb 2014
Kagami_Hiiragi said:
Some are. Pokemon, Aikatsu, and Aurora Dream are three examples.

Speak of the devil the words from my mouth exactly.

Wait, how the fuck did you get into Aikatsu/Aurora Dream?
Dec 9, 2014 10:50 PM

Apr 2014
furdlemygurdle said:
It's hard to recommend you a good kids show because even if Japan markets shows towards kids, they are still much more mature and violent that the kids shows that America produces. Compare stuff like DBZ to Spongebob.

That being said, even though I haven't watched it, I remember someone telling me Dennou Coil was for kids, even though I doubt it a little. And even if it was for kids, it doesn't have a dub, so idk if its good for kids as it is.

If your cousin is a girl, try some magical girl shit like Sailor Moon, Cardcaptor Sakura, Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha, etc.

There are a lot of great anime movies for kids though. Anything from Ghibli (except, god forbid, Grave of the Fireflies), the movies by Mamoru Hisoda, etc.

Other than that, youre stuck with stuff like Yu Gi Oh, Pokemon, Beyblade, etc.
Yeah it really comes down to Pokemon and the like. It'll probably have to be something episodic. And my cousin's a guy . . . so no Sailor Moon and Shoujo's for him cuzz he's pretty sexist lol.
Dec 9, 2014 10:50 PM

Aug 2014
inazuma eleven
Dec 9, 2014 10:54 PM

Apr 2014
RevInity said:
Qans said:

Tell that to 90's cartoons
I think cartoons today are even less for kids than they were back in the 90's. I mean look at Regular Show where they say mild swear words now like nothing. Then again, I don't know how 90's you wanna go. Ren and Stimpy comes to mind.
Dec 9, 2014 10:57 PM

Aug 2014
Protaku94 said:
MechaKiryu said:
I did hear the roots of Power Rangers were Asian so you're probably right. And yeah I might try it sometime, but these kids . . . they'll just make fun of the characters on screen.
This is true for most Ultraman series ( Especially Neos but this was supposed to be a parody but still ), Nexus is different. It's really hard to explain it, you have to see it yourself.
If the guys in suits is the issue, you should show them Ultraseven X. This one has a more serious tone to it compared to other series. At times there's a few comedy parts though. Also, one of my friends played one of the lead female characters.
Dec 9, 2014 10:59 PM

Oct 2013
Protaku94 said:
Yeah it really comes down to Pokemon and the like. It'll probably have to be something episodic. And my cousin's a guy . . . so no Sailor Moon and Shoujo's for him cuzz he's pretty sexist lol.

Ofc he's sexist. All 9 year olds are sexist cause all girls have cooties.
Pages (8) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Do you drop shows? ( 1 2 )

EverRealm - Yesterday

62 by delirific »»
4 minutes ago

» Why are most current goblins green?

Absurdo_N - 4 hours ago

13 by Rhaelynne »»
6 minutes ago

» is ur fave genre ur most watched genre ?

ame - Yesterday

23 by FanofAction »»
29 minutes ago

» Has the isekai bubble finally burst ( 1 2 )

EastIndiaCompany - Yesterday

59 by KittenCuddler »»
41 minutes ago

» Skibidi toilet piece (One piece story but with skibidi toilet)

Cyborgium - 11 hours ago

18 by traed »»
48 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.