Forum Settings
Forums
New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Dec 10, 2014 1:14 PM
Nobody

Jul 2013
Subpyro said:
JOAOAA said:
To Subpyro:

The bottom line of my post and the point I tried to come across is that even though a user would state that they are okay with receiving a troll recommendation, try to avoid it. That way, there is no dilemma, right? ;)
true
Dec 10, 2014 1:55 PM

Jul 2011
Awesome!

"A half moon, it has a dark half and a bright half, just like me…", Yuno Gasai
Dec 10, 2014 2:01 PM

Nov 2014
Can somebody give me the maximum dimensions for the forum signature image? I had to resize about 3-4 times when I was designing my signature and I forgot the dimensions. I'm asking because I'm in the image secret santa and I don't want to figure the size out using trial and error
Dec 10, 2014 2:07 PM
Nobody

Jul 2013
omeg4 said:
Can somebody give me the maximum dimensions for the forum signature image? I had to resize about 3-4 times when I was designing my signature and I forgot the dimensions. I'm asking because I'm in the image secret santa and I don't want to figure the size out using trial and error
pretty much the whole thing about sigs
MAL said:
Images placed in forum signatures must not:

a. exceed a total area of 600px width by 150px height.
b. exceed a total file size of 300 kB.
c. be NSFM.
Dec 10, 2014 2:50 PM
Lead Admin
Faerie Queen

Aug 2007
I'm really happy to see so many of you excited for the event!

Thank you to everyone who has volunteered. I imagine we'll have more elves than we need, so make sure that you sign up for the event as well (and not only volunteer). Last year we managed to sort the lists so that elves couldn't peek at their Santas, so that's no issue.

I've also updated the sign-up threads to allow profile/forum set requests and to note that you can ask for "Either", not only Anime/Manga.

Astros477 said:
I know it sounds greedy, though can you request for more than one image? I was thinking about an Avi and Profile Picture.
Sure, you can request (although I cannot promise you will receive...). If we get enough interest for the image sets, we'll throw you into that pool...

Chelate said:
I have one question:
Can I sign up to receive both manga and anime recommendations but only give out anime recs? I've never read manga before so I can't give recs, but I would like to start reading some.
Yep. We'll take your list sizes into consideration when randomising the recipients, so there should be no issues :) Some users last year asked for the same to try and get more into manga.

NTAD said:
I wonder if I should get involved this time?...
Yes.

TripleSRank said:
Should we update our entry if we complete more anime/manga before the sign-up deadline?
Not unless you watch like 20 series.

Lairees said:
It looks fun but do I need to make an image for the other user if I ask for one?
Secret Santa is a gift exchange.

@omega: Just to add, the link to JOAOAA's quote comes from the Site & Forum Guidelines.

Keep the sign-ups coming! I'm hoping to break last year's numbers~
Dec 10, 2014 6:36 PM

Nov 2011
Kineta said:
TripleSRank said:
Should we update our entry if we complete more anime/manga before the sign-up deadline?
Not unless you watch like 20 series.

Challenge accepted.
Dec 10, 2014 7:28 PM

Feb 2013
Kineta said:
NTAD said:
I wonder if I should get involved this time?...
Yes.
Well...since you're gonna twist my arm.

I have an idea. It won't be for any one particular user though. Stay tuned.
Dec 10, 2014 7:29 PM
Apr 2013
NTAD said:
Kineta said:
Yes.

New vid?
Dec 10, 2014 7:49 PM

Feb 2013
worldeditor11 said:
NTAD said:

New vid?
What kind of present would it be if I spoil the surprise?
Dec 11, 2014 12:29 AM
Jul 2018
Can I be an elf when I've entered an event?
Dec 11, 2014 8:19 AM

Nov 2013
Eeep this sounds so fun ;D
the official MAL hall of fame/cursed comments is now open for business - you are welcome to PM me any potential quotes to include
Dec 11, 2014 11:28 AM

Mar 2013
MarkTurner said:
Can I be an elf when I've entered an event?

Heya~

Kineta's post should sum-up the matter of signing up for a magical transformation into an elf:
Kineta said:
Thank you to everyone who has volunteered. I imagine we'll have more elves than we need, so make sure that you sign up for the event as well (and not only volunteer). Last year we managed to sort the lists so that elves couldn't peek at their Santas, so that's no issue.

Basically, sign up for the event and state that you'll participate in it (any of the three of focuses or more), as well as express your desire to help behind the scenes as an elf (if you want to). If further elf-power will be needed, you'll surely be contacted in private. :)

Unless you've already done that just now and I misunderstood it for a question of how it goes.
Dec 11, 2014 3:09 PM

Jul 2012
I'd like to help PM Santas and give pointers :3
Dec 11, 2014 8:34 PM

Jul 2013
umm... um... for the recommendations... (I already joined, I'm really looking forward to it!! ^^) Do we have a specific amount of recommendations? (Like, you must recommend 3 and nothing more or less!!!!)

I'm just wondering, since, like, we will have to peek the list of our receiver when the time comes (I think, to not recommend things they already watched), but what happens if we have a lot in common and we watched almost everything the other watched?
Dec 12, 2014 5:48 AM

Mar 2013
linkhimura said:
umm... um... for the recommendations... (I already joined, I'm really looking forward to it!! ^^) Do we have a specific amount of recommendations? (Like, you must recommend 3 and nothing more or less!!!!)

I'm just wondering, since, like, we will have to peek the list of our receiver when the time comes (I think, to not recommend things they already watched), but what happens if we have a lot in common and we watched almost everything the other watched?

Hello, hello.

When participating in the recommendations-themed event, sharing at least one title is the minimum limit. Naturally, you can share more, unless the receiver's format states otherwise. If you do plan on sharing more, though, try keeping it at a sane quantity. :P

I highly doubt you will meet a user that has similar power level in the quantity of the series completed and has seen everything you might suggest at the same time. If such a situation were to come, you can simply recommend something that you hold on your Plan to Watch list with a relatively high priority set. But again, having no title to recommend, especially if the two of you hold similar tastes is not going to happen, you can rest assured on that. :)
Dec 12, 2014 9:09 AM
Jul 2014
we need more LOGH fans to promote more LOGH...

Mod Edit: Removed baiting.
KinetaDec 12, 2014 11:14 AM
Dec 12, 2014 11:14 AM
Lead Admin
Faerie Queen

Aug 2007
Social_Elitist said:
I'm not quite sure what this has to do with Secret Santa. Please expand.
Dec 12, 2014 11:32 AM
Nobody

Jul 2013
Kineta said:
Social_Elitist said:
I'm not quite sure what this has to do with Secret Santa. Please expand.

He pretty much means he wants to get all the LoGH fanboys to join the rec Secret Santa so lots of people will have to watch LoGH (as long as they don't end up getting each other) so they can get more participants (aka more LoGH fanboys) to join their circlejerk

I think
Dec 12, 2014 2:11 PM

Dec 2013
Does the "gift" (profile pic,etc) needs to be themed for christmas?
Dec 12, 2014 2:26 PM
Lead Admin
Faerie Queen

Aug 2007
Forsh said:
Does the "gift" (profile pic,etc) needs to be themed for christmas?
It does not. People will put their likes and dislikes, and then it's up the Santa to make the gift!
Dec 12, 2014 4:37 PM

Oct 2012
I might as well sign up for Recommendations again.... let's just hope I actually manage to come up with a recommendation this year!
Dec 12, 2014 4:40 PM

Dec 2013
2familyfriendly4me
FragOutFire said:

Why am I a Berserk fan? All I ever experience is pain.

We are in the eclipse and Miura has sacrificed us
Dec 12, 2014 10:59 PM

May 2014
id love to distribute gifts if you the program still needs it
Dec 13, 2014 6:01 AM

May 2013
I can help out with pointers for the image santas thing, if I'm needed
Dec 13, 2014 11:22 AM
Jul 2014
[13:15:26] <~Kineta> on that lovely note
[13:15:41] <~Kineta> Join MAL Secret Santa! http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1321327
[13:15:59] Holo licks Kineta
[13:16:28] <~Kineta> licking is only allowed for those who sign up!
[13:16:32] <~Kineta> ...

WE GET LICKING RIGHTS! ~ :D
Dec 13, 2014 11:49 AM

Mar 2013
Holo said:
WE GET LICKING RIGHTS! ~ :D

Was about time.
Dec 14, 2014 4:01 PM
Apr 2013
Would like to help in event 1 :3

Forum Set by Moi||T.C.O.||R.A.C.E.

Dec 14, 2014 5:50 PM

Oct 2013
I was looking forward to the review section of the recommendation event, I think the limit of recommending a show with less than 10k viewers completed or less than 4 reviews submitted is way too extreme. There are very few shows that meet that criteria, let alone meet the criteria of the likes and dislikes the person we are giving the recommendation to will have. Hell, there are plenty of hentai with more than 10k completed viewers. If you want to promote lesser known series, that's fine, but please make the cap more lenient, to maybe 50k viewers. There are many anime that are actually very good that not too many people know about with that cap.
Dec 14, 2014 5:56 PM
Jul 2018
YEAH IVE BEEN WAITING FOR THISSSSS XDD
Dec 14, 2014 9:21 PM

Dec 2012
Kineta already knows what I want from secret santa, anyway I'll participate in this.

Dec 15, 2014 1:18 PM

Apr 2012
furdlemygurdle said:
I was looking forward to the review section of the recommendation event, I think the limit of recommending a show with less than 10k viewers completed or less than 4 reviews submitted is way too extreme. There are very few shows that meet that criteria, let alone meet the criteria of the likes and dislikes the person we are giving the recommendation to will have. Hell, there are plenty of hentai with more than 10k completed viewers. If you want to promote lesser known series, that's fine, but please make the cap more lenient, to maybe 50k viewers. There are many anime that are actually very good that not too many people know about with that cap.
I agree that the 10k completed limit seems rather restrictive (Not so much for manga, but definitely for anime).
Dec 15, 2014 2:57 PM
Lead Admin
Faerie Queen

Aug 2007
quukii said:
furdlemygurdle said:
I agree that the 10k completed limit seems rather restrictive (Not so much for manga, but definitely for anime).
Thank you for your feedback and your interest in the Review Feature of the Rec Edition! Since we realised the restrictions were a bit tight for some users, we've increased them to:
a. ~30k or less users with the entry set to completed (not total members); or,
b. 12 or less reviews on the entry page.

If you still find these too restrictive, we will be accepting reviews from users who take part in the general Rec Edition before January 10th; however, how the reviews are showcased at the end will likely be different.

We hope that you'll participate! Only 9 more hours left to sign up :)
KinetaDec 15, 2014 3:02 PM
Dec 15, 2014 4:59 PM

Feb 2011
I guess I could assist with some recommendations if someone ppl misses the deadline.
Munch munch, chomp chomp, gobble gobble, gulp.
Dec 15, 2014 8:58 PM

Oct 2013
Kineta said:
quukii said:
Thank you for your feedback and your interest in the Review Feature of the Rec Edition! Since we realised the restrictions were a bit tight for some users, we've increased them to:
a. ~30k or less users with the entry set to completed (not total members); or,

If you still find these too restrictive, we will be accepting reviews from users who take part in the general Rec Edition before January 10th; however, how the reviews are showcased at the end will likely be different.

We hope that you'll participate! Only 9 more hours left to sign up :)

Thank you for your consideration. That sounds much more better.
Dec 15, 2014 10:22 PM

Mar 2013
Kineta said:

That was quite a change of mind. 12 reviews per series is a lot for titles that are not excessively famous, especially manga, so this restriction should allow a whole lot more shows to be recommended and put in the okay box. Main point is that the jump from 4 reviews onto 12 could be seen as quite a lot bigger one than from 10k to 30k completed cap, even though the factor of multiply is 3 in both cases.

I like it. :)
Dec 16, 2014 1:33 AM
Lead Admin
Faerie Queen

Aug 2007
SIGN-UP CLOSED

Thanks to everyone who signed up! Our little elves are now working eagerly on matching the lists, so look forward to getting a PM with more instructions soon!

For everyone who missed the deadline: look forward to MALentine's for our next event, or Secret Santa again next year!

Dec 16, 2014 4:07 AM

Nov 2013
Oooh I like the restriction changes! Is it too late to change to the review feature? D:

I just edited my post but ignore it if matching has already happened ^_^
the official MAL hall of fame/cursed comments is now open for business - you are welcome to PM me any potential quotes to include
Dec 16, 2014 7:58 AM
Dec 2014
If we signed up for the Image Secret Santa, at what time will the name of the recipient of our gifts be sent to the people participating?
Dec 16, 2014 8:04 AM

Mar 2013
superanimefan98 said:
If we signed up for the Image Secret Santa, at what time will the name of the recipient of our gifts be sent to the people participating?

At one point today. :) Keep a sharp eye on your message inbox!
Dec 16, 2014 9:33 AM

Oct 2013
Kineta said:
a. ~30k or less users with the entry set to completed (not total members);

How exactly do you check how many people have completed the series rather than the total number of members?
Dec 16, 2014 9:42 AM

Nov 2013
furdlemygurdle said:
Kineta said:
a. ~30k or less users with the entry set to completed (not total members);

How exactly do you check how many people have completed the series rather than the total number of members?

Go onto the series page and click the stats button near the top, there's a "Completed" number there :3
Dec 16, 2014 7:06 PM

Aug 2013
Today is almost over, and I still haven't received anyone for any thread, Image or Recommendation... Of course, there's other time zones, but I remember last year my person came earlier, so I was wondering whether you're still sending out messages...
Dec 16, 2014 7:16 PM

Aug 2014
einonymous said:
Today is almost over, and I still haven't received anyone for any thread, Image or Recommendation... Of course, there's other time zones, but I remember last year my person came earlier, so I was wondering whether you're still sending out messages...

I was wondering the same thing, but have noticed a couple signs that there are some funny things going on with SQL. It showed up as being worked on, and appears to be just fine now, but I'm assuming there might have been some delay. I'm not sure how much uncertainty I can add to this comment, but I'm assuming for now that there was a delay and the mods are doing their best to keep up. It's not easy being an elf you know. Short legs are hard to run marathons with.
Be like this seal. It is a happy seal.
~Review Guidelines~ | ~Recommendation Guidelines~ | ~Mafia Society~
Dec 16, 2014 7:37 PM

Nov 2012
PentaFlare said:
einonymous said:

I was wondering the same thing, but have noticed a couple signs that there are some funny things going on with SQL. It showed up as being worked on, and appears to be just fine now, but I'm assuming there might have been some delay. I'm not sure how much uncertainty I can add to this comment, but I'm assuming for now that there was a delay and the mods are doing their best to keep up. It's not easy being an elf you know. Short legs are hard to run marathons with.

Also assuming this since I didn't get a message yet. There weren't THAT many entries but it must be time consuming to try to match people with similar anime watching habits. (I think that's what they are trying to do with recommendations)
Dec 16, 2014 9:02 PM

Mar 2013
Just confirming that no messages were received from my side, either. Also, the quantity of the Elves shouldn't be an issue. The number of people that volunteered for the position exceeds the number of how many were actually taken in, by which we can assume it's something else. Hopefully we will receive the messages today and there are no further issues present behind the scenes. It's a bit troubling, however, that the date shared was not an ETA but rather something set. Fingers crossed it pulls through today.
Dec 16, 2014 9:17 PM
Nobody

Jul 2013
same

but just give them time, pms will come around soon enough...hopefully
Dec 16, 2014 9:29 PM

Jul 2013
I didn't receive any PM yet, but I know it must be hard for the little elves. I don't think there is a faster way to compare lists, so they must do it manually.

We are all rooting for you, elves, ganbatte!! ^^

P.S. I was wondering, since this got delayed like a day or so, the deadline for sending the recs/imgs could be one day after (the 22). But seeing that there is a present opening, and I don't know what that is (this is my first year in secret santa) I don't know if that's possible..
LinkHimuraDec 16, 2014 9:41 PM
Dec 16, 2014 10:07 PM

Mar 2014
Oh thank God there's others who haven't got a PM. I thought they just didn't accept mine lol>_>
Dec 17, 2014 12:23 AM
★★★★★

Sep 2008
Some things took a bit longer than expected this time, so sending the PMs got a bit delayed.

Everyone who participates in the Image Edition should have received a PM by now. If you still haven't received a PM for the Image Edition, please message me!

PMs for the Rec Edition will be sent out soon! I or someone else will post here once we've sent out all the PMs for this so make sure to check this thread regularly.

linkhimura said:
P.S. I was wondering, since this got delayed like a day or so, the deadline for sending the recs/imgs could be one day after (the 22). But seeing that there is a present opening, and I don't know what that is (this is my first year in secret santa) I don't know if that's possible..

The present opening means that people will receive their gifts on this day. We set the gift deadline two days before this so we still have time for messaging people who missed the deadline etc.
Dec 17, 2014 3:04 AM
Lead Admin
Faerie Queen

Aug 2007
All PMs should be sent out from the Elf accounts now!

Thank you for your patience. We hope the extra time we put into organising the match-ups this year will make the event a better one for everyone :)

If you did not receive your user for Secret Santa, please send me a message!
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

» [Challenge] You Should Read This Manga 2024 ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Kineta - Feb 23

201 by EverySportsAnime »»
9 hours ago

» New Site Update: Peak Anime 🗻 ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Kineta - Mar 31

213 by Destinesia »»
11 hours ago

» Heavenly Easter Delusion: Devil and Dolce ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kineta - Mar 27

3340 by Terra_strong »»
Apr 17, 8:26 PM

» MAL Game "Fantasy Anime League" Opens for Spring 2024 ( 1 2 3 )

Kineta - Mar 17

144 by The_real_maomao »»
Apr 9, 4:26 PM

» English Titles Added to Desktop; Moving Towards a Romanized/English Toggle ( 1 2 3 )

Kineta - Feb 12, 2020

121 by Vaturna »»
Apr 4, 5:31 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.